In 1867 the Radford Iron Co., purchased 12,000 acres of land
around Max Creek, built a charcoal furnace there and two years
after began manufacturing pig iron. This industry gave employment
to many of the people living along the creek and brought prosperity
to the little settlement.
Iron manufactured at Max Creek was boated down New river up until
the time the railroad was put through and for many years it had
to be hauled to Dublin for shipment. With the establishment of
the Werno siding, however, this long haul was eliminated and the
iron could be loaded from a point very near the furnace, which
was operated continuously until the 1880's. It then went out,"
and was not reopened until 1899, when the furnace was leased by
William PULTNEY, of Youngstown, O. Mr. PULTNEY over hauled it
and again the production of pig iron was started.
But Mr. PULTNEY's venture was an ill-fated one and although coke
was used in place of charcoal the operation was unsuccessful.
A series of accidents and a disastrous fire in 1901 put an end
to Max Creek's only industry. In 1915 the plant was sold for scrap
There is more to the history of Max Creek than the establishment
and failure of industry, however, for it has long been a rich
farming section. Among the early pioneers were the KELLY family,
who lived near the present home of Charles LEACHE, the RAYs, the
OWENs, the GRAHAMs, the ODELLs, the KERSEYs and the QUESENBERRYs.
These pioneers established a union church there, which was a worshipping
place for the Methodists, the Primitive Baptists and the Campbellites,
who were later to become the Christians.
Given By ODELLs
The lot for this church was donated by the ODELLs and the structure
still stands, although the congregations have now been consolidated
with other churches in the section. Among early pastors there
were the Rev. Joe SHOWALTER, the Rev. W. W. OTEY, a Floyd county
native, and the Rev. C. C. SHELBURNE, who led the services in
One of the old schools in Max Creek was also held at the union
church. Part of the walls were darkened in order that they might
be used as a blackboard. This school was taught up until the early
'90's, when a two-room schoolhouse was built. The present structure
has been in use for almost 30 years.
While no physicians have ever lived at Max Creek, the population
of the district has received medical attention from many physicians.
Among these were Dr. JORDAN, of Newbern, Dr. Fugete CLARK, Dr.
Bruce CLARK and Dr. J. C. HURST.
Opportunities for employment other than farming include the American
Pigment Co., at Hiwassie, and the many industries in Pulaski city.
Almost 30 families live along the banks of the beautiful little
creek that winds down through the hills.
Source:1939 Centennial Edition of the SW Times-Transcribed
by Teresa Ferrell