THE NEW RIVER

The New River, which was originally called Woods River after explorer Abraham Wood who happened upon it in 1654, is thought to be a remnant of the ancient Teays River, which traced the basic path of the New and Kanawha rivers, then followed the Ohio River's channel north toward the Great Lakes. The New River is one of the oldest rivers in North America and flows in a northerly direction.

Return to Pulaski Co. VA Website