When the Pulaski Anthricite Coal Company took
over the mining industry in eastern Pulaski County, the new general
manager was John H. PARROTT. Thus, this section of the county
came to be known, in 1903, as Parrott.
Before that, however, in 1880 the Narrow Gage Railroad carried
coal to the present N&W Railroad from Belle-Hampton Mines,
which were located not far from Parott. In 1896 the New River
Mining Company was developed only to be taken over a year later
by George B. KIMBALL. KIMBALL was president of the Kimball Coal
Mining Company and the community was known by that name.
Up until this time, Parrott did not have a post office of its
own. In 1907 this was remedied as D.R. JONES took the job of Parrott's
first postmaster. The population at this time was approximately
450. Parrott was growing and by 1918 there were many company houses
and a church (the present Methodist Church) and a new company
store was built. This store contained a mine office the post office,
a barber shop doctors office, a theatre and pool room.
Instead of using U.S. currency, coins called "scrip"
was used for trading purposes but only at the company stores.
Many things changed during the years of the depression and in
1935 the mine shut down operations and the store closed which
meant the post office was shut down. Mail was then sent to the
Belspring post office. The church and many homes were sold. Scrap
metal from the mines were loaded on cars and reportedly shipped
to Newport News and then on the Japan.
However, it was not long before the re-establishment of the post
office was considered. In 1937 it became reality and C.A. PANNELL
took over the position of postmaster and remained so until 1967.
The office was first located in a small framed grocery store and
later in a larger Belspring post office.
Upon the closing of the mines in the late 1930s and early 40s
many people in the Parrott community went to work at the McCoy
mines and rode the ferry to their destination.
In 1939 construction began on the Radford Army Ammunition Plant
and many people found employment there. Many employees were needed
and it brought in outsiders as well.
The first church in the area was the Community Union Church which
was many denominations worshipping together.