PULASKI TOWN INCORPORATED

By act approved February 24, 1886, the town of Pulaski City was incorporated by the legislature. Monroe H. CALFEE was appointed the first mayor and R. S. DUDLEY, James GEMMELL, Chas. L. LEARY, J. E. MOORE, Thomas JONES and Jacob HARRIS were appointed as the first council. The council was to appoint all of the other town officials. This form of government was retained until 1908, though in 1898 the word "City" was dropped from the name of the town, it becoming simply "Pulaski."
By act of March 14, 1908, the town was divided into four wards, with two councilmen from each ward, and provision was made for the mayor, councilmen, sergeant, clerk of council, and treasurer to be elected by the people. This is the form of government the town now has. There has never been any amount of agitation here for the so-called commission form of government, nor for a city manager. The mayor, in a large measure acts as city manager; and though it has been only during the past year that he has received anything like adequate compensation, but the present mayor, E. W. CALFEE, has, during the several terms that he has been mayor, done more active, intelligent, efficient and successful work for the upbuilding of the town and bringing in new industries than any one else at all. And the supervising and directing the operation of the several municipal departments, he really performs the functions of a city manager. The members of the council, also, are all able intelligent and successful business and professional men, who give instintedly of their time and ability to the conduct of the affairs of the community.

Source: SW Times Newspaper: February 22, 1927, reprinted Feb 22, 1966, transcribed by Teresa Ferrell



Return to Pulaski Co. VAGenWeb