March 13, 1810 - The site for the Town of Newbern was laid out. The land on which Newbern is situated was originally granted to a man named Stobough. In 1772 a fort was erected for the protection against Indians. This was the earliest fort erected in this part of Virginia.
March 30, 1839-This may be said to be the first date in the history of Pulaski county, as the bill authorizing the organization of the county was passed by the Virginia Legislature this day.
April 20, 1839-The first Circuit Court ever held in Pulaski County convened at Newbern.
February 14, 1842-The Virginia Legislature passed a bill receding to Montgomery county part of the territory taken from her in the formation of Pulaski county. The division of Montgomery county had not proven satisfactory to all parties, and this land was receded on this account.
January 6, 1847-This day will go own in the history
of Pulaski County as the one on which her first military company
volunteered for service. Many of her sons had seen service prior
to this time in companies accredited to other counties; indeed
as far back as the year 1774 a company from Montgomery County
(of which Pulaski was then a part) was sent on an expedition into
North Carolina against the Tories, and many other instances might
be cited where men hailing from the territory now comprising this
county were fighting in defense of their home land. But the company
that volunteered on January 6, 1847, for service in the Mexican
War, was the first after the county was organized. Leaving Christiansburg
on the above date, the company reached Richmond on the 15th, having
marched eighty miles, and traveled the remaining distance on canal
boats. After a short stay in Richmond the men were sent to Fortress
Monroe, and arrived on Mexican soil on the 1st day of April. They
served until peace was declared on the 15th day of June, 1848.
Arriving at Fortress Monroe late in July, they were mustered out
of service on the 6th day of August, 1848. On the muster roll
of this company may be found, among others, the name Robert D.
Gardner. Some of the members of this company lived to see service
in the Civil War.
January 1, 1849-John B. Floyd, of Pulaski County, inaugurated Governor of Virginia. He was the only native of the county to fill this position, though two other men who had lived in the county, Dr. John Floyd, (father of Jno. B.) and Maj. J. Hoge Tyler, were elected to the office of Chief Executive. John Floyd was Governor from 1830 to 1834. Maj. Tyler was inaugurated January 1, 1898.
April 1859 - The "Pulaski Guards" otherwise known as Company "C" was organized in April, 1859, and Company "E" was organized in April, 1861.
February 13, 1861.-Hon. Benjamin F. Wysor was the representative of Pulaski County in the Secession Convention, which voted to secede from the Union on this day.
April 17, 1861 - the "Pulaski Guards" volunteered for service. This company was engaged in nineteen Of the most Celebrated battles of the Civil War, and was with Lee when he surrendered at Appomattox. April 9, 1865.
February 1, 1862- On this date the. "Pulaski Guards" went into winter. quarters at Winchester, Va., after having seen almost constant service since entering the army. The hardships of the "Romney Campaign" into what is now West Virginia were particularly severe.
February 15, 1862-The battle of Fort Donelson, Tennessee occurred. Companies "I" and "F" from this county were in the engagement. Four Pulaski men were killed or wounded in the fight.
March 23, 1862-The battle of Kernstown fought. The "Pulaski Guards" lost one man in this engagement.
April 22, 1862-"Pulaski Guards" re-organized,
making Robert D. Gardner Lieutenant-Colonel and James N. Bosang
January 31, 1863-The battle of Kelly's Farm, Va., was fought. There were two companies of Pulaski County soldiers engaged in this fight-Companies 'I" and "F." and Capt. Thos. Poage, of the former, was killed in the engagement.
March 14, 1864 - Gen. Robert E. Lee wrote to A.G. Matthews, of this county, acknowledging the arrival of "Ajax" a Pulaski County horse. This horse was afterward ridden by Gen. Lee.
March 9, 1865 - In the fight at Bentonville, N.C. on this date, Co. "F" of Pulaski County was engaged.
April 26, 1865-Company "F" surrendered at Salisbury, N. C seventeen days after Lee had surrendered at Appomattox.
April 25, 1867-Newbern Presbyterian Church organized.
February 28, 1880-Ground broken for the erection of the Bertha Zinc Works.
March 13, 1880 - the Bertha Zinc Works at Martins made the first zinc ever made in the Southern States. This furnace was operated by men brought over from Wales, three of whom, Richard James, John Reece and Francis Thomas, live in Pulaski at this writing. The ore used was brought across Peak Creek Mountain in carts, as the North Carolina extension of the Norfolk and Western had not then been projected.
February 12, 1888- the Pulaski Iron Company's furnace at "Martins" (now Pulaski) made its first "cast" of iron. Ground was broken for this plant in the early part of the previous February. This furnace has been run continuously since, excepting temporary shut downs for repairs. On the 1st of January, 1910, all previous records Were broken by the production of 227 tons of iron in twenty-four hours.
April 1, 1890 -The most notable murder ever committed in the county occurred. John H. Caddall, Treasurer of the county, was shot from his horse on the afternoon of this day near the Norfolk & Western Railway, just west of Dublin and died soon after he was found. Many arrests were made, but his slayer was never brought to justice. By a curious co-incidence, another murder occurred oil this day-April 1, 1905, when Cloyd Hale, colored, murdered a tramp at Pulaski. He was tried, convicted and executed on May 12, of the same year, the last hanging in the county.
April 2, 1892-The second trial of William A. Teagles for the murder of John H. Caddall was begun. This trial resulted in acquittal.
April 8, 1894-The most disastrous flood that ever visited Pulaski occurred. A cloudburst caused Peak Creek to go out of its course, and several houses and all the bridges at Pulaski except one, were swept away.
April 9, 1894-The records of the county moved to Pulaski, thus enacting the final chapter in the celebrated "Courthouse fight"
April 13, 1901-Hon. Joseph C. Wysor elected to the Constitutional Convention.
February 22, 1906-"The Southwest Times" was first issued on this date, with Geo. R. Cheves as editor. "The News-Review" was subsequently absorbed by "The Times."
January 12, 1910,-should be remembered as the day on which the Pulaski Dispensary Bill was repealed by the Legislature.
February 19, 1910- Alex Brown was murdered by William ("Shorty") Jones, both Negroes, at Needmore Jones was tried and sentenced to electrocution, but his sentence was commuted by Governor Mann.
March 29, 1910-The gravity water system Supplying the town of Pulaski completed.
Return to Pulaski Co. VA Website
©2000-2004 published by Tami Ramsey for personal use only, they may NOT be reproduced in whole or part in any format for presentation, distribution or profit by anyone without the express written consent of the contributor.