There is a Bloss/Blose cemetery near Elkton, VA. The first buried there are believed to be Georg Conrad Bloss b-1728 d-1774 and his wife.
It is located on the farm now owned by the late Reece Dean (died March 2002), current owner of the 1764 Bloss/Blose homestead near Elkton, VA, Actually about one mile due east of the tiny village of Verbena, along Naked Creek, at the junction of local routes 609 and 603.
The Elkton cemetery is located in the farm meadow between the road and the homestead. As of a visit in 1988, this cemetery had been almost completely ruined by cattle. Head stones are broken and many are missing. In 1988 a visit indicated that what stones there were had been collected into a small pile in the center of some cedar trees.
From the lane up to the house, the cemetery is beyond the spring fed pond on the left in a clump of cedar trees. It is overgrown with brush and briars, much as was in 1936 when the WPA Historical Researchers visited and recorded their findings.
"This cemetery area is approx. 50 feet square. We found over a dozen uninscribed fieldstone marked graves, 3 that were likely children as they were short in length. At some time in the past, the inscribed stones have been gathered together and laid, inscription side down, one on another, and surrounded by loose fieldstones."
Those stones identified were:
It is assumed that original land grantees, (Georg) Conrad Bloss/Blose d-1774 (or Blows on the 1764 land grant) and his wife, Mary d-1787, are buried here. It is also assumed that John Adam Bloss d-1823 and his wife Mary Hannah Shaffer (Shaver) (date of death unknown) who inherited the farm are also buried here.
The picture of the cemetery shows cattle resting on the site and the homestead c-1764 in the background. The original log cabin is known to be inside the current building.
For more info contact: Richard Bloss
The cemetery location is on private property and permission is required to visit.