OLD CARBO CEMETERY
CARBO, VIRGINIA

LOCATION
Located in the town of Carbo. It is on a slight rise, or ridge, immediately East of the Carbo Shop of NS Railway and about one hundred yards North of the east end of the State Route 664 bridge over the Rail Yards. It is just above two maiden springs near the old Carbo School Site.

ACCESS
Access is easy to within fifty feet of the approximate cemetery boundry. >From that point, a very heavy growth of briars, weeds and saplings makes access nearly impossible. It is reported that there are well over one hundred graves in the area, but very few are identifiable.

APPEARANCE AND CARE
This cemetery is completely overgrown and has not been tended in many years. It was last cleared in July, 1987 for the dedication of the "Sutherland Memorial Marker," but has since returned to wild growth.

Note: Items in brackets ( ) have been added by the compiler.

This file submitted by Jim Sutherland

IDENTIFICATION OF GRAVES

This cemetery would not be remembered except for the single inscribed marker near a large poplar tree on the West slope of the rise. This Memorial Marker was dedicated on July 25, 1987 by the descendants of James and Sarah Buchanan Sutherland, and reads as follows:

HERE OR NEARBY LIE
JAMES SUTHERLAND
"JAMIE THE SCOTCHMAN"
CA 1760 -- 1825
SARAH B SUTHERLAND
CA 1760 -- 1822
AND MANY UNKNOWN
ERECTED 1987 BY DESCENDANTS OF
JAMES & SARAH

Our visit took place on August 16, 1997. There was very faint evidence of depressions typical of sunken graves, and a large number of scattered Yucca plants and Rose Bushes often found in many of the very old cemeteries in this region. It is quite possible that this cemetery did, in fact, have well over a hundred graves as is reported. No identification of any others in this cemetery is known.

It is believed that burials ceased here when residents became concerned that their drinking water, from the nearby springs, may be contaminated from the cemetery. At one time, most of the residents got their drinking water here, and many "spring houses" for cooling milk and other perishables lined the creek below these springs.


5698 visitor since January 1, 1999


Back to Russell County VAGenWeb