I William Browning Senior of Russell County and State of Virginia do make and publish my last Will and Testament as follows:
1. After the payment of my debts and funeral expenses I give 2. To Phillis a free woman of color whom I have liberated one half of the tract of land upon which I now reside to include the buildings, orchard and spring, all my farming untensils, household and kitchen furniture, my gun and clock my mare and two cows; all which she is to use and hold as her won during her life. I also give to her one hundred dollars in cash and fifty dollars of her money that I have in my hands, both sums to be at her won disposal to use as she pleases and to be hers forever.
3. I give to my nephew Francis A. Browning (son of my brother Francis deceased,) the other half of my land, lying on the ridge; and after the death of Phillis the land above given to her and whatever other property then may remain at her death, which I have above given her. I also give to him the sum of two hundred dollars; all which I give to him and his heirs forever.
4. I give to my niece Melissa E. Browning the sum of one hundred and fifty dollars.
5. I give to my brother James Browning the sum of one hundred dollars
6. I give to my sister Polly Munsey the sum of one hundred and fifty dollars.
7. I give to my brother John Browning the sum of one hundred and fifty dollars.
8. I give to my nephew Wm M. K. Browning the sum of one hundred dollars.
9. I give to my niece Mary Browning, (widow of Wm. Browning decd) the sum of one hundred dollars and to her son Wilson the sum of fifty dollars.
10. I give to my nephew William Browning (son of my brother Francis deceased) the sum of four hundred dollars.
11. I give to my nephew William Jessee out of a debt he owes me which is seemed to me by Joseph Jessee the bond or land sold to said William Jasper the sum of four hundred dollars, and I allow him five years after my decease to pay the balance of the debt he owes me without his paying any interest on that balance after my death.
12. I give to my neice Polly Jessee, wife of Fleming B. Jessee the sum of one hundred dollars,to be paid equally to her by my devises Frances A. Browning, Melissa E. Browning, Polly Munscy and John Browning, which will be twenty five dollars to be paid by each of them.
13. Should their be any excess of my estate remaining in the hands of my executor after payment of the above bequests, then I will that the same be divided equally among my devises above mentioned, except William jessess, and should there be a deficiency then their bequests , except that made to William Jesee are to be reduced in proportion to the sums bequeathed to them.
14. I desire that no appraisemtn be made of my estate but only and inventory taken thereof.
And lastly I hereby consititute and appoint Robert Johnson Jr. executor of this my last Will and Testament hereby revoling all other or former wills.
In testimony whereof I hereunto set my hand and affix my seal this 14th day of October 1851
(signed) Wm Browning (his mark)