Scott County Historical
Scott County, Virginia
Mildred McConnell's Scrapbook Articles
Carrying On 122-Year Heritage
Carrying On 122-Year Heritage
The churches of Scott County play such a vital role in the lives of all our residents, no Progress edition would be complete without paying tribute to the Christian work being done in the name of Jesus Christ. With so many churches in the county, it would be impossible to write of the many things that are being accomplished and that were accomplished last year. Therefore, we are reprinting a story, written a few years ago by George Dalton o Big Stone Gap, about a landmark of Scott County – the Old Brick church of Rye Cove.
By GEORGE DALTON
Probably no other building in Rye Cove, or maybe even Scott County, has had a greater impact on the lives of as many people as the Old Brick Church of Rye Cove. These people stretch al the way into Wise County.
This church was built in 1858 on what is now Route 650; approximately four miles from Natural Tunnel and about a mile and a half from Rye Cove.
For the past 20 years, the Primitive Baptist have held services and Sunday School at the Old Brick Church. The sign on the front reads, "The Brick Baptist Church of Rye Cove, Everyone Welcome."
J. P. Horton of Big Stone Gap came up with some minutes of meetings held by the old timers who built this church. According to the minutes of a meeting held March 14, 1857, "called for the purpose of taking into consideration the propriety of building a church and school house in Rye Cove at some suitable point in said neighborhood."
Nathaniel Horton was appointed Chairman and William Horton appointed Secretary. It was moved and seconded by Thomas W. Carter that Dr. James H. Horton explain the object of the meeting.
A motion by Thomas W. Carter and duly seconded, that a committee be appointed to draft a plan upon which said house shall be built to gather with the probably amount of cost.
The committee decided that the house be built on land belonging to the heirs of Dale W. Carter or on the land of William Horton. The commissioners appointed were, Thomas W. Carter, Rufus B. Fugate, John W. Duncan, Joseph H. Carter, James P. Carter and James P. Horton.
The next meeting was held on May 2, 1857 and a report by the committee showed that a subscription of $898.50 had been raised.
The following Trustees were appointed, Granville H. Kilgore, James P. Horton, Joseph H. Carter, Thomas W. Carter, R. B. Fugate, William Horton and Nathaniel Horton.
These Trustees entered into an agreement on June 15, 1857 with Robert H. Horton and Nathaniel Horton to build an "Academy and Church House" on a lot deeded to them by the heirs of Dale W. Carter.
The building was to be "built on a good stone foundation, 50 feet long and 25 feet wide with a 15 foot ceiling, walls and ceiling to be plastered and nine windows, five in front and five in the back."
The walls were to be of brick, said to be made at a brick kiln in the area, with benches made of two-inch plank with solid backs and a pulpit of black walnut planks, "well oiled and varnished."
Nathaniel Horton and Robert Horton, great-grandfather and grandfather of J. P. Horton, were to be paid the sum of $1,375 in "subscription paper, $992.50 and remainder when finished by the 25th day of December, 1858.
Miss Jewell Willis of Big Stone Gap, a teacher at Rye Cove, came up with a list of teachers and students known to have taught or attended school at the Brick Church.
The deceased teachers were, Joe Carter, Clare Alley, Clint Cox, Nannie Horton Voight, Mosby Carter. The living students are Mrs. Franklin, R. L. Horton, Maggie Jessee, Lou Franklin, Claudia Alley, viola Good and Lillian Lane, Clinchport, Ethel Carter, Morrison City, Venus Franklin, Clinchport and Helen Lawson, Coeburn.
Miss Willis reported that Rebekah Carter was the grandmother of Maggie Jessee, that the Church was built for a Methodist Church, but Baptist Ministers preached there also and it was also used as a school-house, and that Viola Good is still worshipping there regularly.
The Old Brick Church has "gone modern" as the walls are paneled, the floors are carpeted and the building is heated by oil. The Rev. Bruce Kerns of Weber City and Rev. Robert Roach of Clinchport are the pastors at the present time.