Scott County Historical
Scott County, Virginia
Mildred McConnell's Scrapbook Articles
Years ago Today, Dec. 14, 1964
BY GARY LEON KILGORE
He was born in Ireland on June 11, 1771, and died December 14, 1857, and was buried in the old Dougherty Cemetery on the hill of his farm at Valley Creek. He was married May 27, 1796 to Elizabeth Hamilton, who was born at Ramsey, in Wise County, Virginia on July 1, 1779. She died April 1, 1845 and was the first one to be buried in the old Dougherty Cemetery. James Dougherty lived to be 86 years, 6 months, and 3 days old. His wife lived to be 66 years and 3 months old.
This young couple first settled on a farm on Copper Creek about three miles west of Nickelsville, and reared a large and respected family that proved to be as good citizens as this part of the country has produced. Later they moved on a farm north of Copper Creek, near Valley creek, where they lived until their death.
James Dougherty was a hatter by trade and made wool hats. It is said that when he made a lot of hats, he would get on a horse and ride as far as Russell County to sell them out.
Recorded in his old Bible, we find that his sister Nancy died February 1, 1847 in Russell County. She married Samuel Leese, who later was a Senator in the Virginia Assembly. They settled West of Lebanon, Virginia. His brother, named William, died July 6, 1847. His wife died June, 1811. They had a daughter who was named Ruth T. Dougherty, who was a school teacher. She died June 18, 1871. They were buried in the Dougherty Cemetery. I fail to find any information on his other brother whose name was John.
To James Dougherty and his wife were born twelve children. Their names are as follows:
1. Nancy Dougherty was born March 9, 1789 and died January 8, 1863. She married John Harris.
2. Margaret Dougherty was born February 22, 1800, and was married to William Allen.
3. John Dougherty was born January 8, 1803, and died December 16, 1856. He married Patsy Wampler.
4. Sarah Dougherty was born April 20, 1805, and was married to Charles Kilgore.
5. Elizabeth Dougherty was born October 22, 1807, and died December 7, 1887. She married Israel McGlothlin.
6. Nathan Dougherty was born March 7, 1810, and died July 14. 1866. He married Susan McConnell.
7. Susannah Dougherty was born March 20, 1812 and died April 24, 1895. She married William Harris.
Lucy Dougherty was born May 30, 1819, and died October 23, 1890. She
married Dr. B.
Jane Dougherty was born March 28, 1832, and died when a little girl.
James Dougherty Born In Ireland 1771 Died 1857
Wife Elizabeth H. Hamilton 1779 - 1845