Union Soldiers Buried in Claremont Cemetery, Claremont, Virginia
Information provided by Wanda Balducci 16 May 2001.
In the center of the Claremont Cemetery, there is a monument honoring Union soldiers. It reads:
In commemoration of the services of the soldiers, sailors and marines of the United States in Defence of the Union from 1861 to 1865. "A maximas ad mainima." The monument was erected by the Hancock Post No. 23 G. A. R. in July 1906. Also on the monument is a quote from Abraham Lincoln: "With malice toward none and charity for all."
* Additional names added from UNION VETERANS OF CLAREMONT, VIRGINIA 1861-1865 by Claremont historian, M. D. Harrison.
Names in italics have been edited to agree with Harrison's reading. [Contact: M. D. Harrison, Historian, Claremont, VA 23883]
The following are the union soldiers buried in Claremont cemetery:
(The headstones do not include the birth dates and death dates of the men.)
- William Henry Oliver b: 1827 in Buck's County, Pennsylvania (New Hope, Pennsylvania) d: Aft. 1865 in Claremont, Virginia.
William H. Oliver, Private, Captain William W. Marple's Company, Ringgold Regiment Pennsylvania Infantry (this organization subsequently became Company C. 104 Regiment Pennsylvania Infantry). Company Muster-in Roll dated September 12, 1861, Davisville, Bucks County, Pennsylvania; period for the war years.
- Jno. Calkins, Co. F., 3rd Mich. Inf.
- Capt G. W. Combs, Co. E., 82nd U.S. C.[olored] T.[roops]
- J. D. Day, Co. D, 12th Ohio Inf.
- *1st Sgt. Robert Fewson, Co. I, 55th Ohio Inf.
- Berrit Goth, Co. A, 35th N.Y. Inf.
- *W. B. Jones, Co. H, 112th N.Y. Inf.
- Wm. Kleine, Co. E., 2nd N.J. Inf.
- *Edw'd Lewis, Co. H, 39th Pa. Mil.
- *B. F. Malin, Co. E, 76th Pa. Inf.
- Sgt. August Manke, Co. G., 2nd Mich. Cav.
- *Sgt. O. B. Marshall, Co. C, 1st U.S. Cav.
- *Mus'n J. W. Matteson, Band, 29th Ohio Inf.
- Conrad Mohr, Co. I, 1st Pa. Res.
- *Ernest Miller, Co. D, 1st Md. L.A.
- Wm. H. Oliver, Co. C., 104th Pa. Inf.
- *Jacob Osterle, Co. A, 37th U.S. Inf., Co. K, 3rd U.S. Inf.
- G. W. Rand, Co. I, 44th Mass. Inf.
- Horace Robbins, Co. C., 7th Vt. Inf.
- Dan'l Smith, Co. K., 6th N.Y.H.A.
- Cop'l L. W. Skinner, Co. M, 15th N.Y.H.A.
- *Mus'n A. J. Sprague, Co. D, 85th N.Y. Inf.
- Lieut. A. W. Tatem, Co. G., 1st Del. Inf.
- D. M. Taylor, Co. D., 14th U.S. Inf.
- *Cyrus Tibbetts, Co. D, 1st Me. Cav.
- *T. W. Topping, Co. M, 15th N.Y.H.A.
- Corpl. John Vanatter, Co. F., 1st N.Y.L.A.
- Henry Whittaker, Co. D., 21st U.S. Inf.
- E. M. Wilkins, Co. L., 10th Ind. Cav.
Pages updated 21 March 2013. © Surry County,
Virginia, Historical Society and Museums, Inc.