Search billions of records on

United Daughters of the Confederacy

Salyer - Lee Chapter 1417

Email: Salyer-Lee Chapter 1417 UDC


Speech and Photos of Logan Salyer


Tintype - Col Salyer
Logan N. Salyer

Back to: Salyer-Lee

Speech made to the first meeting of the Salyer-Lee Chapter of the UDC:
Record of service of Colonel L. H. N. Salyer

July 10, 1912

Mustered in as Captain of a company of 101 men of Wise County, Virginia, on the 3rd day of June 1861.

This company and others was organized into a regiment, at Wytheville, Virginia. My Company being known as Company “H” and the Regiment being known as the 50th Virginia Regiment, Infantry. This Regiment was then placed under the command of Gen. John B. Floyd, with A. B. Reynolds as the first Colonel. Our regiment was sent from Wytheville to the region of the Kanawha, West Virginia and spent the summer and fall campaigning. Gen. Floyd with his command was then ordered to Bowling Green, Kentucky, and then to Fort Donelson on the Cumberland River. In this battle, I was severely wounded by being shot through the body, while leading my men in the fight. I was sent away during the battle by steamboat to Nashville, Tennessee. The boat was crowded with the wounded. A Soldier in the struggle of death fell across my body and died there. He lay on me for a long time for there was no one to remove him and I was too weak from the loss of blood to do it. The regiment did not surrender, but fought their way out and marched in the direction of Murfreesboro, Tennessee and thence made their way back to Virginia. I finally recovered sufficiently to rejoin my Regiment and in reorganizing our regiment in June 1862, Col. Pough of Newburn, Virginia, became the Colonel and I was elected Major. The Regiment was then placed under command of Gen. Lourning and sent back to West Virginia. In the fall we were placed under Gen. Roger A. Pryor. On the 30th day of January 1863 Col. Pough was killed. Then Lt. Col. Vanderventer and myself were promoted, he to Colonel and I to Lt. Col. We were then transferred to Northern Virginia on the Rappahannock and there became known as the 2nd division of Gen. Stonewall Jackson. Soon after this Col. Vanderventer was retired from the Regiment, and I was left in command of the regiment as Colonel and I continued in command, serving Gen. Jackson until he was killed and with Gen. Robert E. Lee until the regiment was destroyed at the Battle of Spottsylvania Courthouse and continued with Lee until we surrendered. I also received a bad wound across the head by a sword in a bayonett charge at Chancellorsville. I was completely surrounded by the Federals in a hand to hand fight and would have been killed had not one of my men thrown himself between us and struck the man as the blow fell.

I fell unconscious and the Federals threw me in the ditch face down to be covered up. The Sisters of Charity who were picking up the wounded noticed that I was a Confederate Officer and turned me over and found I was breathing. The Federals were occupying the Chancellors house and I was sent to Gen. Hooker's headquarters. This was late Saturday evening and I spent the remainder of the night on top of the piano in the parlor without any medical attention. I was there on Sunday morning when Gen. Hooker was thought to have been killed by a shot from our cannon striking a column of the portico against which he was leaning in the second story of the house. I was also in the house when soon after this, a shell from the outside set the house on fire. I escaped from the house into the woods back of the house intending to make my way back to my regiment but that same evening was recaptured by the Federals and was sent on finally to Cliffburn Barracks near Washington and soon after to the old Capitol prison in the City. Was then exchanged and returned to my regiment just in time to take up the line of march to Gettysburg. Many of the wounded were burned in the Chancellor house and at the time I was supposed to have perished in the house and the Richmond papers of the day published a very flattering article concerning me and my supposed tragic end. I fought and took a very active part in the following battles: Bull Run, Cotton Mountain, Big Sewell Mountain, Fort Donaldson, Fayettesville, West Virginia, Frazier’s Farm, Battle of Winchester, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, Manasses, Siege of Petersburg, Fall of Richmond, Boonesboro, Malvern Hill, Gains Mill, and many others of lesser note. I served from the beginning of the war until I surrendered with General. Lee at Appomattox, I am now in my 78th year, but hope to attend a Confederate Reunion at Richmond, Virginia before I am called home to my reward. My heart beats with gratitude for the honor you ladies of the Salyer-Lee Chapter of the U. D. C. have conferred upon me naming the Chapter after me and the great Lee.”


Back to top of page:

Back to: Salyer-Lee Chapter 1417