HISTORICAL PLACES
Roxbury
ROXBURY PLANTATION
Built about 1743, Stanards owned it up to 1901.   Consisted of 2,000 acres of land, which ran to the Po
and Ni rivers.  Pic 1937.
IN TIDEWATER VIRGINIA:  BOOK ABOUT THE OLD HOMES ALONG THE RAPPAHANNOCK RIVER BY DORA JETT  1924
SPOTSYLVANIA LANDMARK REGISTER (GOOGLE BOOK SECTION)
Spotswood Inn
SPOTSWOOD INN
Louis Rawlings. Pic 1939
Chancellorsville
CHANCELLORSVILLE
Built 1838 by Alexander Loman for George & Ann Lyon Chancellor.  Originally an inn.  Pic 1939
2nd Report on the same place
"DECKER HOUSE"
Built in 1790 by Francis Thornton.  In 1847 sold to the Decker family who remodeled it.  Pic 1938.
MAPLE GROVE
Built in 1820.  From the old Herndon estate.  Alexander & Ann Herndon owned it.  Burned down.
BUNKER HILL
Built in 1814.  William Storke family.
PLANK ROAD
Early road constructed of planks used to transport mining materials to F'burg.
OLD HERNDON MILL
Built by Edward Herndon.  Oldest mill in the county.
PENNY'S TAVERN
Built in 1811 by James Wigglesworth family.  Then sold to Lincefield Penny.  There is only a plaque where this tavern used to be.
RED BANK
Built prior to 1819.  James Smith family.
PROSPECT HILL
Built 1812.  Lewis Holladay family.
PINE CLIFF
Built 1834.  Charles L. Thomas family.
NEW STORE
Built 1800.  Purchased by John Decker from Thomas W. Anderson.  Part store & home.
MOUNTAIN WAY
Built between 1833-35.  Multiple owners:  H.M Patton, Thomas Proctor, R.P. Waller, A.P. Rowe, E.W. Marlsberger, Charles Herndon, B.J.S. Buckler, Deane,
Peter Wood, R.B. Wheeler, L.E. Haywood, Absalom McGhee, Martha Salter,
Annie Miller, Bud Poleglaise.   James Orrock family living in it during Civil War.
PINEY (PYNEY) BRANCH CHURCH
Built 1768.  Built by Edward Herndon and Joseph Brock.  Used as an Episcopalian church until 1847 when the Baptists used it
LOCUST LEVEL
John Aschum Billingsley purchased from Philip Young in 1805.
SPOTSWOOD'S FURNACE
OR TUBAL FURNACE
Tubal Furnace
Nottingham
NOTTINGHAM
The land was owned by Governor Alexander Spotswood from 1722 to 1740, and he evidently named it for the location in England where he and his brother John boarded and attended school. The original house burned and was rebuilt by W. L. McCarthy Spotswood.  Pic 1936.
Snell Grocery
Decker House
Penny's Tavern
CHERRY GROVE
Built 1790-1808.  Quarles family.
CEDARVILLE
Richmond Waller to Richard Talley families.
COWLANDS
Built before 1823.  Seth Barton, Dr. French families.
BLOOMSBURY
William F. Robinson family.
BEAUCLAIR
Built 1803.  Washington & Lewis to French.  French to Gray.  Gray to Temple.
ARNOLD HOUSE
Issac & George Arnold family.
WALLER'S CHURCH
Built 1769.  First pastor John Waller.  Original building burned.
CRAIG'S CHURCH
Built 1767.  Lewis & Elijah Craig.  Imprisoned in F'burg.  Baptist.
BULLARD FOUNDRY
Built bef. 1750.  Ambrose Bullard family.
Berea Church
ST. JULIEN:
Built about 1805.  Part of the Dangerfield estate.  Owned by Brooke, Boulware, and Lamb.  Pic 1936.
St. Julien
BELLEFONTE
Built 1702.  Lt. John Holladay family.
GREENFIELDS
Built 1795.  Ed. Herndon to Absalom Estes.  Absalom Estes to Row.
GREEN LEVEL
1789 James Powell family.  Created from purchases from Jos. L. Hawkins & William Parker.
MERCER HALL
Front of house
Right Side
Left Side
Back
Old Tree
Outbuilding
Dickinson Family
Photos taken on
January 5, 2014.
GREEN LEVEL UPDATE
Remains of Main House
Cemetery
Remains of Barn
Cow Pens
More Modern Bldg

Powell Family
Photos taken on
January 5, 2014.
EDGEWOOD
Built 1827. Reuben Lindsey Coleman to Dickinson in 1890.Structure no longer exists.  A subdivision is there now.  Main road is "Old Dickinson's Road".
WHIG HILL
Built 1750.  Beverly Family.
GHOST OF ELLANGOWAN
MEADOW HILL
Remains of House
Brick work
Lipscomb Family
Photos taken on
February 2, 2014.
HAZEL HILL UPDATE
Cemetery
Herndon Family
LEAVETT'S LEVEL
Side Dr. Powell Office

Front Dr. Powell Office
Ice House
Kitchen Chimney
Front Slave Cabin
Back Slave Cabin
Side Slave Cabin
Inside Bottom Floor
Inside Top Floor
Kitchen Chimney Slave
Photos taken 3/8/14
Picture coming
STUBBS MILL
Main Building
Side Main Building
Mill Crosses River
Walls Across River
Main Bldg From Across River
View of Entire Structure
Bridge Footing
None of the wooden structure remains.