Accokeek Creek Encampment & Fort
Located near Brooke in Stafford County is the evidence of a Union winter camp. It is south of Accokeek Creek west of town. There are three extant earthwork Union batteries on a 25-acre area. Portions of a fourth battery also remain. Two log hut campsites are also located in this area. There is also portions of a pine log corduroy road in swampy areas. This camp was used in 1862-1863.
A Union 30-foot square redoubt protecting the railroad bridge over Accokeek Creek. This fort was used 1863-1864.
Stafford County is proposing this as the site of a future county park.
Fort Belvoir Chapel, 1942
Fort Belvoir Mail Call, 1943
Fort Belvoir Negro Infantry, 1942
Students of the Negro Infantry in training at the Army Engineer school relaxing between studies. Fort Belvoir, 1942.
Brent Town Fort
King James II granted 30,000 acres for Roman Catholics as sanctuary to George Brent of Stafford County and London residents Robert Bristow, Richard Foote and Nicholas Hayward. A fortified outpost overlooked a Native American path now referred to as Carolina Road was built by Brent. The Native Americans moved their trail further west in response. The settlement failed with the death of Brent in 1694. The exact location of Brent Town is unknown.
Fort Corcoran, 1865
Band of the 107th U.S. Colored Infantry, Fort Corcoran, Arlington, Va., ~1865.
This was a palisaded fort created by and four twelve German families who moved away from Fort Germanna. A year before they moved, their trustees, John Fishback, John Hoffman and Jacob Holtzclaw, claimed 1805 acres along Licking Run. Other family heads were: Melchoir Brumback, Joseph Coons, Harman Fishback, Peter Hitt, John Kemper, John Joseph Martin, John Jacob Rector, John Spilman and Tilman Weaver. With their pastor, Rev Henry Hager, they formed the first German Reformed Congregation in the southern colonies. Thomas Fairfax, Proprietor of the Northern Neck, issued a land grant to them 22 Aug 1724.
Camp Humphreys, 1920
Soldiers at Camp A. A. Humphreys Training School, 1920. Camp Humphreys, built during 1917-18, was appended to "Camp Belvoir," today, Fort Belvoir (Fairfax County).
Kilgore Fort House
Kilgore Fort House is a restored fort house. It doesn't have walls around it, it was simply a house built for defense. These types of homes were common on the frontiers of Virginia between 1763 and 1795. It is the only one remaining in existence.
Kilgore Fort House was built about 1790 by Reverend Robert Kilgore near Nickelsville, Virginia in Scott County. There are two stories with two rooms on each story. The rooms are divided by timber partitions. The arrangement of the interior is such that in case of attack, retreat was possible into the next room and a final stand could be made in the northeast room of the second floor. The original design had no windows, only gun ports. The doors were made of heavy timbers and a heavy wooden bar was used to lock them.
Despite its design for protection, there is no record of it ever being attacked. It is located at a natural crossing of Copper Creek. At least two bridges, including the one in use, have been built there.