A Few Pictures
A Few Surnames
About this Site
The Virginia Trails To The Past website organizes resources, research, and records for your Virginia family history.
Have information to submit about DC history, families, or genealogy? Send to the website coordinator!
Kilgore Fort House
Kilgore Fort House is a restored fort house. It doesn't have walls around it, it was simply a house built for defense. These types of homes were common on the frontiers of Virginia between 1763 and 1795. It is the only one remaining in existence.
Kilgore Fort House was built about 1790 by Reverend Robert Kilgore near Nickelsville, Virginia in Scott County. There are two stories with two rooms on each story. The rooms are divided by timber partitions. The arrangement of the interior is such that in case of attack, retreat was possible into the next room and a final stand could be made in the northeast room of the second floor. The original design had no windows, only gun ports. The doors were made of heavy timbers and a heavy wooden bar was used to lock them.
Despite its design for protection, there is no record of it ever being attacked. It is located at a natural crossing of Copper Creek. At least two bridges, including the one in use, have been built there.
Sign our guestbook or leave comments or suggestions about the website.