|The Virginia Foundation for Archaeological Research, Inc.
|York County and Poquoson, Virginia
Find your family in York County, Virginia
First you may need to determine that the individuals for whom you are searching actually lived in York County,
Virginia. Here are some publications and links that can be helpful.
There are other sources of York County information at this web site. Don't forget to explore them before following links to other places.
And remember the "Back" button on your browser. For more helpful links Click HERE!
- Virginia land patent abstracts, with seven volumes published so far, begin with Nell Marion Nugent, Cavaliers and Pioneers Abstracts of Virginia Land
Patents and Grants 1623-1666, Vol. 1 (Baltimore, 1969) and continue through Volume Seven: 1762-1776, ed. Dennis Ray Hudgins (Richmond, 1999). A
serchable Database for Virginia Land
Patents and Grants is now on line at the Library of Virginia. From the Database, you can go to an image of the patent book page and read the complete patent.
- Clayton Torrence, Virginia Wills and Administrations 1632-1800 (Baltimore, 1972) lists names and counties where their wills or administrations were
found. This list is now on line at the Library of Virginia!
Index to Wills and Administrations at LVA.
- Annie Laurie Wright Smith, The Quit Rents of Virginia, 1704 (Baltimore, 1977) is a list of landowners in Virginia in 1704. A version of this list
is on line. Alphabetical List of 1704 Virginia Land Owners who paid quit rents.
- Heads of Families at the First Census of the United States Taken in the Year 1790 Records of the State Enumerations: 1782 to 1785 Virginia
- Augusta B. Fothergill and John Mark Naugle, Virginia Tax Payers 1782-87 Other Than Those Published by the United States Census Bureau (Baltimore, 1986)
- Steve & Bunny Binns's WONDERFUL web site with digital images of Virginia County and City Tax Lists for 1790, 1799 and 1800 has returned to the web.
They are HERE!
- Elizabeth Petty Bentley, Index to the 1810 Census of Virginia (Baltimore, 1980)
- S & K Publications Online Index to the 1810 Census of York Co., Virginia Check it for names!
- List of 1813 York County Landowners at this web site.
- Roger G. Ward, 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer) in four volumes (Athens, GA, 1997-1999)
- Jeanne Robey Felldin, Index to the 1820 Census of Virginia (Baltimore, 1981)
- S & K Publications Online Index to the 1850 Census of York Co., Virginia Check it for names!
- Some early census entries are on line here. The USGenWeb Archives Census Project VIRGINIA Federal Census Index
- Search the Library of Virginia index to Chancery Court Records Here. York County records have been processed.
- Search the Library of Virginia website for York County.
- Search the Library of Virginia on line catalogue of maps of York County.
- The entire 1880 U. S. Census is transcribed and on line at the LDS Family Search web site. You can search it there.
Many of York County's old court records have survived the ravages of war. Surviving early records are at the Library of Virginia.
An on line index to York County records on microfilm at LVA is HERE.
A list of York County records at LVA has been published in A Preliminary Guide to Pre-1904 County Records in the Archives Branch Virginia State Library and Archives (Richmond, 1987) by Suzanne Smith Ray, Lyndon H. Hart III, J. Christian Kolbe.
A list of published abstracts of early York County records is on the Bibliography page.
The City of Poquoson was incorporated in 1975, so those records are not at the Library of Virginia.
For historical information about York County, see About York County
The Virginia Foundation for Archaeological Research, Inc.
Pages updated 12 August 2011. © Virginia Foundation for Archaeological Research, Inc.
Donations to the Foundation are tax-deductible.
Your support is important to our effort to preserve and disseminate information about
the history and prehistory of Virginia.