GOODRICH, HENRY J., son of Leonard H. and Julia (Hubbard) Goodrich, was born in Norwich, Vermont, June 18, 1861. His father, a cabinet-maker by trade, was a soldier of the Union, and lost a limb at the battle of Fredricksburg. In Henry's early infancy the family moved to Montpelier, and a few years later to Randolph, Vermont, where his mother died in 1875. Here he began to learn the tinsmith's trade and completed his apprenticeship by two years' service in Montpelier. He came to St. Johnsbury in 1881 and worked at his trade two years for F. F. Fletcher. The year 1883 is a landmark in the life of Mr. Goodrich. 

       During that year he became of age, he married Julia E., daughter of Arthur Moulton, became a Mason and began his mercantile career by purchasing the tin and hardware business and stock of A. E. Bliss. This business was then conducted in the room occupied by Landry's drug store, but for the past eighteen years he has been located in Odd Fellows' block. He has added the features of plumbing and heating of all kinds and built up a prosperous and increasing business. 

       Mr. Goodrich is recognized as a genial and accommodating salesman and reliable businessman, and has a host of acquaintances and friends. He is a member of all the Masonic bodies, including Palestine commandery and Mount Sinai temple. 

       His maternal grandfather, the venerable George S. Hubbard, lived with him during his later years until his death in 1900 at the ripe age of ninety-four. Henry J. and Julia E. Goodrich have a family of three children, Freda, a graduate of the Barbour Business college, who assists in the office as bookkeeper and typewriter, Claude M., a student in St. Johnsbury Academy, and Vera E.
 
 

Source:  Successful Vermonters, William H. Jeffrey, E. Burke, Vermont, The Historical Publishing Company, 1904, page 109-110.

Prepared by Tom Dunn, August 2005