one third of this town lies entirely west of the Green Mountains, and is
very level, rich and productive. The remainder of the town is broken, and
a considerable part incapable of cultivation. A considerable mountain extends
through the town, from north to south. That part of it north of the Great
Notch, through which New Haven River passes, is called the Hog Back, and
that on the south is called South Mountain. A part of the latter was formerly
much infested with rattle snakes . . . There are three natural ponds here;
the largest, called Bristol Pond, is a mile and half long and three-fourths
of a mile wide . . . This town furnishes large quantities of sawed lumber,
which are sent to market. The village is near the center of the town, upon
New Haven River, immediately after it passes the Notch in the mountain.
It is very pleasantly located . . . The settlement of this town was commenced
immediately after the revolutionary war by Samuel Stewart and Eden Johnson.
These were soon joined by Benjamin Griswold, Cyprian, Calvin and Jonathan
Eastman, Justus Allen and others."
of Vermont, Hayward, 1849.
OF THE TOWN OF BRISTOL
The town of Bristol lies largely upon the mountains, in the northeastern
section of the county, and is bounded on the north by Monkton and Starksboro;
east by Starksboro and Lincoln; south by Lincoln and Middlebury, and west
by New Haven. It was originally granted by Benning Wentworth, the colonial
governor of New Hampshire under King George III, "by his excellency's command
with advice of council," June 26, 1762, to Samuel AVERILL and sixty-two
associates, under the name of Pocock. This name, given in honor of a distinguished
English admiral, was retained only a few years, however, and was changed
to Bristol by an act of the Legislature passed October 21, 1789. The charter
deed contained the usual restrictions incident to the Wentworth grants,
and the usual reservation of public lands for the use of schools, propagation
of the gospel, etc., and fixed the boundary lines of the new town as follows:
at the northeasterly corner of New Haven and thence extending south six
miles by New Haven aforesaid to the southeasterly corner thereof; thence
turning off and running east four miles and one-half to a marked tree;
thence turning off and running north eight miles and a half to another
marked tree; thence turning off and running west four miles to the easterly
side line of Monkton; thence south by Monkton about half a mile, to an
angle thereof; thence west by Monkton aforesaid about two miles to another
angle thereof; thence south by Monkton aforesaid four hundred and twenty
rods to the northerly side line of New Haven; and thence south seventy
degrees east one mile and one hundred and ninety rods by New Haven to the
northeasterly corner thereof, the bounds began at."
This gave the town something more than the area of a full township,
or 23,600 acres; but this area was curtailed by the Legislature November
18, 1824, when a portion of land described as follows was set off to the
town of Lincoln, viz.:
at the southeast corner of the town of Bristol and thence running west
one mile to the west line of the second tier of lots; thence north on the
west line of said lots six miles and eighty rods, to the north line of
lots numbered twenty-two and twenty-three; thence east to Starksboro line;
thence south to the northwest corner of Lincoln; and thence south on Lincoln
west line to the place of beginning."
This gave to Lincoln a tract of 4,400 acres, leaving the area of
Bristol only 19,200 acres, as it exists to-day.
The surface of this territory, as a whole, may be regarded as extremely
rough and broken, if not decidedly mountainous, though there are many level
tracts. Through nearly the whole length of the town from north to south,
there extends a spur of the Green Mountain range. From the north line of
the town south to Bristol village, a distance of about four miles, this
spur has an elevation of 3,648 feet, unbroken by gorge or stream--crossed
not even by a highway. From its peculiar formation it takes the name of
Hogback Mountain. Near the village, however, it is broken by "The Notch,"
through which flows New Haven River. South of the Notch, which is wide
enough to admit not only of the passage of the river, but a good carriage
road and some intervale land, the elevation takes the name of South Mountain.
South Mountain continues lofty and unbroken until we reach the "Little
Notch," through which flows O'Brian Brook; south of this it is unbroken
until it crosses the southern line of the town. The larger part of these
mountains is clothed with vegetation and timber to their summits; but upon
South Mountain there is an area of several acres which appears from a distance
to be a large smooth rock. A closer inspection, however, resolves it into
an area of broken rocks, piled promiscuously together. It bears the name
of "Rattlesnake Den," from the fact that in early days it was the favorite
lurking-place of hordes of these reptiles. About two-thirds of the tillable
lands of the town lie west of these mountains. Following the course of
New Haven River there is a wide tract of level alluvial land, called British
Flats, northwest of which the land is moderately level, rising from gentle
swells to hills of quite extensive proportions in the extreme northwestern
part of tile town. On the north line of the town, extending south on both
sides of the mountains, there is a cedar swamp several hundred acres in
extent. East of the mountain the land is more broken, a large part being
unfit for purposes of cultivation. The soil of the tillable tracts, though
generally very productive, varies largely in different parts of the town.
Bristol Flats, rising little above the level of the river, consists of
a fine, deep, fertile alluvial deposit, which was originally covered with
a heavy growth of timber, interspersed with a vigorous growth of nettles.
On the more elevated plains a harder, compact, gravelly soil is found,
but not so much diminished in richness and fertility as one would naturally
suppose, and made up largely of loam and clay. Some portions of the still
higher elevations are very stony; others are free from these obstructions.
The uplands and intervales are capable of producing good crops of Indian
corn, rye, oats, peas, beans, buckwheat, flax and potatoes. Formerly much
winter wheat was raised. Garden vegetables flourish well, and small fruits
are grown successfully. The land vas originally covered with a dense growth
of timber notable for its numerous varieties, among which were the following:
White, Norway, and pitch pine; sugar, soft, and striped maple; white, red,
and black ash; white, blue, and red white, black, and red oak; large white,
small white, black, and yellow buttonwood, elm, slippery elm, butternut,
hemlock, balsam, fir, tamarack; double and single spruce; basswood, ironwood,
mountain ash, red cedar; red, black and choke cherry; black alder, witch
hazel, prickly ash, poplar, willow, hickory, and others, many of which
varieties are still found in the towns.
The principal stream is New Haven River. It has its source in Ripton
and that part of Lincoln formerly known as Avery's Gore, and after flowing
a northerly course through a part of Lincoln, receiving the waters of several
small tributaries, it enters Bristol from the east, passing through the
deep ravine known as "The Notch," thence on to a point just west of Bristol
village, when it turns abruptly to the south, continuing that course to
a point just east of New Haven Mills, where it turns abruptly west again,
flowing into New Haven. It affords many good and usually reliable water
powers. The stream, however, is subject to frequent and heavy freshets;
in 1830 one of these caused great loss of life and property, as will be
noted in connection with the history of the town of New Haven.
Baldwin Creek, having its source in Washington county, flows through
the southern part of Starksboro into Bristol, and thence by a circuitous
route winds its way to New Haven River, which it enters about a mile and
a quarter above Bristol Village. Immediately after crossing into Bristol
it enters a deep ravine, known as Chase Hollow, which it follows to its
debouchure. It is a small stream, though it affords considerable motive
power for mills. Many years since there were two forges in operation on
O'Brian Brook, so named in honor of the O'BRIANs, who built the
first grist mill in Bristol on this stream, has its source in a small pond
in the western part of the town, flows south and west through "Little Notch,"
uniting with New Haven River about where that stream turns west into New
Haven. This is a smaller stream than Baldwin Creek, and is not so valuable
for the water power it affords, although at one time it turned the wheels
of four saw-mills.
Beaver Brook is a small stream flowing along the eastern base of
Hogback Mountain, entering Baldwin Brook. There are several other small
and unimportant brooks, and springs are abundant.
Bristol Pond, about a mile and a half in length and three-quarters
of a mile in width, lies in the northern part of the town, at the western
base of Hogback Mountain, extending upon Monkton line. It is shallow and
muddy and partially surrounded by extensive marshes. The only other pond
is that which we have spoken of as the source of O'Brian Brook, in the
eastern part of the town. It covers an area of only about ten acres.
Proprietors' Meetings. -- There is strong presumptive evidence extant
tending to prove that proprietors' meetings were held, and some measures
taken towards allotting the lands in Pocock, previous to those appearing
in the proprietors' record-book. It is generally believed by authorities
that, as early as 1784, John WILLARD, of Middlebury, Hon. Jonathan HOYT,
of St. Albans, and Captain Miles BRADLEY, of New Haven, at a meeting held
in Canaan, Litchfield county, Conn., were appointed a committee to survey
and allot the land in Pocock, though no record of such an event has been
found. But deeds from the proprietors recorded in the Rutland county clerk's
office, to which county Pocock then belonged, speak of the "first division
lots," and describes them as numbered, and containing one hundred and twenty
acres each. In the files of the Vermont Gazette, printed at Bennington,
may also be found an article warning a meeting of the proprietors to convene
"at the house of Benjamin PAYN, in Addison, on the second Tuesday in May,
1788." This warning proves that at least the third division had been made,
for the fourth article reads: "To see if they [the proprietors] will proceed
to lay out the fourth division, and lay roads."
The same paper also states that, "on the second Tuesday of May,
1788, the proprietors, in pursuance of the foregoing notice, held a meeting
at the time and place appointed, and chose Justin ALLEN, moderator, and
Henry MCLAUGHLIN, clerk; and without doing any other business adjourned."
There was also a meeting held, it appears, on the same day and at
the same place, "by adjournment from Pocock," at which one item of business
brought up was, "to see if the proprietors will accept of the surveys,
or divisions of land that have been made, or whether they will make surveys
or divisions of land in said town; also to choose a committee for that
purpose." With reference to this it was found that "no legal" survey of
a first division of land had been made, and that they proceed to make a
first division of "ninety acres to each right."
Thus it seems that the business of all previous meetings was practically
annulled, and that the first division finally contained instead of one
hundred and twenty acres, only ninety acres, which was really the fact.
The second division contained one hundred and ten; the third, one hundred;
the fourth, fifty; and fifth, twenty acres.
The first proprietors' meeting which appears on the records met
at the house of Benjamin GRISWOLD, in Pocock, March 3, 1788, in pursuance
to a warning published in the Vermont Gazette. Captain Miles BRADLEY was
chosen moderator, and Henry MCLAUGHLIN, clerk. A tax of $2.00 was laid
on each proprietor's right to defray the expense of the survey, and clearing
highways, building bridges, etc. A committee, consisting of Timothy ROGERS,
Miles BRADLEY, Justin ALLEN, Cyprian EASTMAN and Henry MCLAUGHLIN, was
appointed to attend to said business, and the meeting was adjourned to
meet in Addison, as we have noted. From this time forward the meetings
were held in Pocock, or Bristol, as it soon became, and the business transacted
related most entirely to division of lands, levying taxes, etc., and hence
would prove uninteresting to the general reader.
The first permanent settlement was not begun in the present town
of Bristol till the summer of 1786, twenty-four years after the charter
and the others who formed the committee we have previously spoken of were
prosecuting the duties devolving upon them here, in 1785, about a mile
west of Bristol village they came across a rude habitation occupied by
a Dutchman named John BROADT, as he stated. He had made that place his
home, with no other company than a dog, for twelve years, seeing in that
time no human face till met by the said committee. He came from Unadilla,
N. Y., a fugitive from justice. Word was sent to his friends, informing
them of his whereabouts, and subsequently he received pardon for his offense
and returned to New York, after which nothing was heard of him. Thus this
man may properly be said to have been. the first white inhabitant of the
town., though he did nothing towards clearing or improving the land, but
subsisted like a savage by hunting and fishing.
Early in June Samuel STEWART and Eden JOHNSON, who married sisters,
started out from Skenesboro (now Whitehall), N. Y., for the wilderness
land of Pocock; JOHNSON traveling by land to drive their cattle, while
STEWART took passage by boat up the lake with their household effects,
his wife, Mrs. JOHNSON and her two children, and his own child, Chauncey
A. STEWART. On the third day he and his party arrived at Vergennes, where
he procured horses to convey them and their effects to their destination-the
farm now owned and occupied by Joel B. BARLOW. Here they were joined by
JOHNSON, and together they built a small log house, to serve as their dwelling
in common, the first erected in Bristol. In the autumn Mr. STEWART built
a house for himself, where Perez HUBBARD used to reside. About eighteen
months later he purchased a cabin on the north side of the river, and built
a log house near the stream and directly east of the junction of the road
which leads to New Haven Mills, which he occupied until 1797. His daughter
Polly was the first child born in the town. In 1817 he moved with his family
to Ohio. JOHNSON resided in the town only a few years, when he removed
to Plattsburgh, N. Y., and from thence to Canada, where he was drowned,
November 4, 1809. Not long after STEWART and JOHNSON began their settlement
here they were joined by Benjamin GRISWOLD, Cyprian EASTMAN, Robert DUNSHEE,
John ARNOLD, Justin ALLEN, Henry MCLAUGHLIN, Gurdon MUNSILL, Samuel BROOKS,
Amos SCOTT and Elijah THOMAS, the last four arriving on the same day; while
Benjamin CLAPP, Samuel RENNE, Samuel P. HULL, Dan MILLER, Adam GETMAN,
Daniel THOMAS, Ezekiel DUNTON, Amasa IVES and Nathan COREY were here previous
According to the town records these were added to, from time to
time, by the arrival of the following, about in the order named: As early
as September 4, 1792, Phinehas RUGG, Ellis MAXHAM, Calvin EASTMAN, Asa
SMITH, Elisha ANDREWS and Anthony FIELD; in 1793, Robert SUTTON, Henry
FRANKLIN, Matthew FRANKLIN, Benjamin SUTTON, Benjamin BARTHOLOMEW and Oliver
SCOTT; in 1794, Nahum SMITH, Hezekiah MURDOCK, Asa FREEMAN, Moses WHEELER,
Ephraim MUNSON, jr., Jedediah KEELER, Nathan BROWN, Chauncey ELLSWORTH,
and Peter RENNE; in 1795, John KETCHAM, Truman ALLEN, Silas HEWETT, Asa
HITCHCOCK, William DAY and Jeremiah FRAZER; in 1796, Robert HOLLEY and
Ephraim RAYMOND; in 1797-98, Justin EASTMAN, Noah HOLCOMB, Johnson ALLEN,
John JEWELL and Stephen SCOTT; in 1799, Oliver DRAKE, John BUNN, Obadiah
BEAL, David COPELAND and Samuel MURDOCK; and in 1800 by Asaph PARMELEE,
David ISHAM, Sylvester SCOTT, Reuben ABRAM, Luther EASTMAN, Jonathan ALLARD,
James MCALLISTER, Abraham WILEY, James KETCH, Isaac ISHAM, Josiah FIELD,
Andrew TUBBS, Benjamin FREELOVE, George BLANCHARD, Elisha FREEMAN, Jesse
HANFORD, Artemas PARMELEE, Richard ANDREWS, Gershom HALL, James DOUGLASS,
Joseph MYRRICK, Eleazur RICHARDSON, Enos SOPER, Henry SOPER, A. B. SUMNER
and Paris MILLER, and doubtless others.
Benjamin GRISWOLD came with his family to the town from the State
of New York in 1787, locating on Bristol Flats, upon a part of the late
Morgan estate. He remained only a few years, when he removed to Cambridge,
Vt. His son Horace was the second child born in the township. Captain Cyprian
EASTMAN was born in Norwich, Conn., in 1749, and removed with his father
to Beckett, and subsequently to Bennington county, where he married Rosannah
NEHON, and soon after, in 1787, removed to this town, locating on the flats.
He was chosen one of the first selectmen of the town, and at the organization
of a militia company, in June, 1791, was chosen its captain, and was also
one of the committee elected to lay out the first division lots and survey
highways. He died of small-pox May 23,1798, aged forty-nine years, leaving
a family of ten children. Robert DUNSHEE came from New Hampshire in 1787.
He first located in the southern part of the town, but soon after removed
to a part of the late MORGAN estate, on the flats, where he erected a two-story
house. Here he carried on the business of a saddler and harness-maker several
years, then sold his house to Lewis MILLER and removed to the mountain
road, near the "Little Notch." At the organization of the town he was chosen
one of its selectmen. He resided here until his death, of cancer, at an
Henry MCLAUGHLIN, who figured extensively in the early transactions
of the settlers, was born in Ireland, and came to America with Burgoyne,
serving as drummer boy, and remaining with the army till it marched from
Ticonderoga. For a few years following he engaged in teaching school at
Williamstown, Mass. He married Mary DUNTON, of Dorset, Vt., sister of Ezekiel
DUNTON, and soon after, in March, 1787, came to Bristol, and located upon
the farm now owned by Dorus S. PARMELEE. He was the first proprietors'
clerk, first town clerk, and one of the committee for laying out the first
division, moderator of the first town meeting, and represented the town
in the Legislature of 1793, '94 and '97. In 1800 he built the first brick
house erected in the town, about a mile west of the village, which he kept
for a time as a public house, and in which, in 1803, was opened the first
post-office. In the spring of 1805 he re moved to St. Lawrence county,
N. Y., though both he and his wife died in Bristol, while on a visit in
Captain Gurdon MUNSILL was born in Windsor, Conn., October 26, 1760,
served all through the Revolutionary War, and soon after its close married
Olive CARVER, of Bolton, Conn., and came to Bristol with his wife and two
children, arriving March 21, 1789. He had been in town the previous year,
made some improvements and built a log house on his farm, purchased of
Timothy ROGERS, and now owned by E. C. POWELL. He was appointed by the
Legislature a collector of the first land tax in Bristol, was a selectman
of the town seven years, a justice of the peace two years, and represented
the town in the Legislature of 1796. He died on the old homestead November
15, 1807. Judge Harvey MUNSILL, one of his eight children, long and favorably
known in Bristol as a man of honor and ability, received his education
in the district schools of Bristol, and at the Addison County Grammar School
at Middlebury, and studied law with Hon. Daniel CHIPMAN, of that town.
Although reared a farmer, he inclined to the study and use of books. He
succeeded to the ownership of the homestead, which he retained until about
1840. After the year 1820 he became prominently identified with the public
affairs of the town, and his career as a public officer continued uninterruptedly
from that date to a short time previous to his death. He was judge of probate
for the New Haven district from 1836 to 1870; justice of the peace for
over thirty years; trustee of the United States deposit money from 1838
to 1852; State senator for the years 1842 and '43; deputy sheriff eight
years, and county commissioner four years; represented the town in the
General Assembly for the years 1829 and '31; served as selectman three
years; town clerk six months; constable two years; overseer of the poor
one year; town agent thirteen years, and moderator of town meetings eleven
years. He was appointed a captain in the First Brigade, Third Division,
Vermont militia. As a Mason he was master of Libanus Lodge, No. 47, from
1828 to 1866, and held the charter during the anti-Masonic movement. He
was a man of strong political convictions, always founded upon a basis
of what in his best judgment seemed just and for the public good, and was
not an ultra partisan; a frequent presider at political conventions, both
Whig and Republican, and was active in matters of reform, especially temperance.
He married Laura, daughter of Ziller STICKNEY, of Weybridge, Vt., March
10, 1818, and Harvey C. MUNSILL, of Bristol, is their only son. Judge Munsill
never united with any church, but inclined to and supoorted the Congregational
creed, and was a member of that society. In the observance of all the proprieties
of life he was a noble and impressive example. He died April 11, 1876,
full of years and covered with honor.
Harvey C. MUNSILL was born in Bristol June 22, 1824. He hired his
father's estate, and has been somewhat prominently identified with the
civil affairs and business growth of the town. He married, October 1, 1851,
Charlotte M. HOLLEY, daughter of John D. HOLLEY, of Bristol, and they have
three children: Newcomb H., born July 14, 1852, fitted for college at Bristol
Academy, entered Middlebury College, and graduated from that institution
in the class of 1877, taught in the graded school of Wallingford, Vt.,
four terms, studied law with VEAZEY & DUNTON, of Rutland, later with
Judge Albert HOBBS, of Malone, Franklin county, N. Y., and was admitted
to the bar of the State of New York, and is now a member of the firm of
BEEMAN & MUNSILL, of Malone, N. Y. He married, in 1880, Mary, daughter
of Orrin MOSES, of Malone, and they have two children, Arthur H. and Edith.
Seraph L, the only daughter of Harvey C., was born May 17, 1863,
and died August 20, 1865. Charles E. MUNSILL, the third and youngest of
the family, was born May 27, 1867, and is now attending the Albany Business
College. Mr. MUNSILL has been for the past four years town treasurer of
Bristol; has held the office of deputy sheriff from 1851 to 1855; justice
of the peace several years; moderator of town meetings several years; grand
juror, and agent for the Vermont Mutual Insurance Company for twenty-six
years past. He has dealt extensively in real estate and has made several
creditable additions to the village plot of Bristol.
General Ezekiel DUNTON, from Dorset, settled upon the farm now owned
by Ezra KNOWLES, of New Haven. He held a commission as brigadier-general
in the Vermont militia, and was at the battle of Plattsburgh. He served
the town for many years as selectman, constable, representative and justice
of the peace, and died here February 13, 1824, aged fifty-six years. He
left two sons, Thaddeus, who went West, and Ezekiel K., who died September
20, 1837, aged thirty-four years. The latter was the father of Walter C.
DUNTON, ex-judge of the Supreme Court of Rutland, and William H. DUNTON,
also of Rutland.
Jonathan EASTMAN, who came to Bristol from Rupert, Vt., in 179l,
was born in Norwich, Conn., in 1753. He removed to Rupert with his father,
where he married a Miss HAYNES, who bore him a daughter; and for his second
wife a Miss DEAN, who bore him five children. He was chosen as the town's
first justice of the peace, and first representative, in 1792, holding
the former office seventeen years, and was again a representative in 1795;
was town clerk eleven years and a selectman four years. He died December
6, 1816. Calvin, Oliver and Amos EASTMAN, brothers of Jonathan, were all
respected residents of Bristol, the latter dying at a very advanced age.
Robert HOLLEY, a native of New London, Conn., came from Hebron,
N. Y., in 1795, and located on the east side of the highway, nearly opposite
the place now owned by Joel BARLOW. In 1808 he removed to the village,
where he kept a public house several years. He served the town as constable
and collector, represented the town in the General Assembly eight years;
was a delegate to the constitutional convention in 1826; was a presidential
elector, casting his vote for President Monroe, and was a justice of the
peace twenty-eight years. He was the father of eight children, and died
April 18, 1836, aged seventy-seven years. Mrs. H. C. MUNSILL, Mrs. Cornelia
SMITH, and Mrs. Titus B. PAGE are his grandchildren. One of his daughters,
Samantha, married Dr. Joseph NEEDHAM, and several of their descendants
now reside in the town. Samuel H., son of Robert, studied at West Point,
was a lawyer and assistant judge of the County Court, and occupied the
farm now owned by Frank HINES. He died March 21, 1858, aged seventy-five
years. Willis R. PEAK is a grandson.
Captain Noble MUNSON, born in Westfield, Mass., in 1770, located
upon the farm now owned by Elexise ST. GEORGE. He was in the battle of
Plattsburgh, and served the town for many years as selectman, representative,
Asaph PARMELEE, jr., lived in a brick house about a mile south of
the village, upon the place now owned by his nephew, Dorus S. PARMELEE,
where he died October 24, 1854. Daniel E. PARMELEE lived on the farm now
owned by B. W. POLLARD. His son, George W., now lives in the village. Harvey
PARMELEE, for many years a justice of the peace, occupied the place now
owned by his son, Dorus S. PARMELEE. He died May 2,1857, aged fifty-four
years. Enos SOPER, who came here at an early day, moved to the West some
time between 1830 and 1840. Henry SOPER, who died February 14, 1844, aged
sixty-eight years, resided in the village where Colonel DUNSHEE now lives.
Mrs. DUNSHEE is his granddaughter. Truman CRANE, a wealthy farmer, and
for a long time grand Juror, occupied the farm now owned by Noble L. VARNEY.
His widow resides in the village. Gershom HALL settled upon the farm now
occupied by Albro S. CUMMINGS. Barnes B. HALL, son of John HALL, was a
celebrated Methodist Episcopal clergyman and at one time a presiding elder.
James WILDER, who served the town as constable about 1830 or 1835, subsequently
removed to Euclid, Ohio. None of his descendants resides in the town, but
Charles M. WILDS, a lawyer of Middlebury, is a grandson. Josephus HATCH
lived upon the farm now owned by Charles C. DUNSHEE. His son Jerry, a graduate
of Middlebury College, became a Mormon priest. Henry G. SUMNER lived in
the southern part of the town. He was a twin brother of George H. SUMNER.
Among his descendants in the town is Seneca SUMNER. Nathan HASTINGS at
one time resided in the village. He died here June 19, 1858. Rufus H. BARNERD
occupied the farm now owned by his son Clinton R. He died September 22,
1842, aged fifty-seven years. David L. ANNAN lived in the village. He died
here November 26, 1846, aged sixty years. John HOWDEN lived on the farm
now owned by Joel B. BARLOW. He died July 3, 1858, aged seventy-seven years.
His son William S. now resides in the village. John BROOKS resided upon
the farm now owned by Amos E. HAZELTON, whose wife was a Miss BROOKS. Wolcott
BURNHAM, an Old Revolutionary soldier, lived in the northern part of the
village. Thurston CHASE, after whom "Chase Hollow" was named, resided upon
the farm now owned by Page COLBY. His son William S. now lives in the village.
Abram VRADENBURG, an old soldier of the War of 1812, lived in the eastern
part of the town. He died April 12, 1863, aged seventy-five years. John
DUNSHEE lived about a half mile southwest of the village, upon the place
now owned by Mrs. Manette MORRISON. His son Albert lives on the flats.
Ira TUCKER lived on the farm now owned by J. W. ROCKWOOD. He died March
13, 1856, aged seventy-seven years. His son Ira is now a resident of the
town. Moses WHEELER, an early settler, has no descendants now living in
the town; but his son, F. P. WHEELER, is a physician of Burlington, Vt.
Oliver DRAKE, an early settler, was the grandfather of Oliver S. Solomon
DRAKE, who served as town clerk many years, resided in the eastern part
of the village. Sylvester SCOTT settled upon the farm now owned by Enoch
VARNEY, but at the time of his death lived on the farm now owned by Patrick
O'NEIL. His son, Loren L., now resides in the village. Nathan RIDER lived
where William C. RIDER now resides, in the eastern part of the village.
William C. has two sons, James B. and W. W., the latter a lawyer. Paul
RAYMOND located in the eastern part of the town, where he was a resident
for many years. Riley ADAMS lived on the farm now owned by James JACOBS,
where he died April 2, 1824, aged seventy-three years. William BUSS, who
located upon the farm now owned by Patrick O'NEIL, died December 25, 1836,
aged sixty-three years. Dr. James DAY lived and died upon the farm now
owned by William D. BATTLES. John WILKINSON, who located upon the farm
now owned by Henry LA VARN, moved away about 1830, or earlier. Joseph BERRY,
who located upon the farm now owned by Joel B. BARLOW, moved away at an
early date. James SAXTON, who was an early settler, died in the village
April 18, 1862, aged eighty-two years. His brother Jehiel moved to Ohio
at an early day. Seth PEAKE died in the village January 11, 1827, aged
forty-three years. His son Royal W. and his grandson Willis R. reside here.
Frederick PEET, a blacksmith in the eastern part of the village, died September
19, 1828, aged thirty-five years. Edward SWEET lived about a mile north
of the village, upon the farm now occupied by James T. TUCKER. He died
November 9, 1851, aged fifty-nine years. Nancy, wife of George W. PARMELEE,
is a daughter. Dr. Chauncey MOOR died July 12, 1837, aged sixty-six years.
Reed RATHBUN located upon the farm now owned by his son Curtis R., where
he died January 14, 1863, aged sixty-one years. Bennet B. DEAN, who was
overseer of the poor for many years, died on the place now owned by Betsey
DURFEE. Sidney MOODY, afterwards a druggist in Middlebury, went to Vineland,
N. J., where he died. Kendrick W. FOLLETT, who lived in the village many
years, died December 26, 1861, aged fifty-nine years. His widow still survives
him. Benjamin VINTON, eighty years of age, now residing on West street,
has been a resident of the village many years. Elisha BRIGGS, after whom
"Briggs Hill," in the eastern part of the town, was named, still resides
here at a very advanced age.
In the issue of the Vermont Gazette for February 14, 1789, the following
notification, or warning for the first town meeting in Pocock, or Bristol,
"These are to warn the inhabitants of Pocock to meet at the dwelling house
of Justin ALLEN, in said Pocock, on the first Monday of March next, at
10 o'clock A. M., to act as follows: 1st, to choose a moderator to govern
said meeting; 2d, to choose a town clerk; 3d, to choose selectmen; 4th,
to choose a town treasurer; 5th, to choose a constable; 6th, to do any
other business thought proper to do on said day.
February 14, 1789."
ALLEN's house was located about a third of the way up the steep
hill, on the old Thomas SUMNER place. Here the freemen of the town assembled
at the appointed hour, and the legal organization of the town was effected
by choosing Henry MCLAUGHLIN moderator, and then proceeding to elect the
following town officers: Henry MCLAUGHLIN, clerk; Cyprian EASTMAN, Samuel
STEWART and Robert DUNSHEE, selectmen; Amos SCOTT, treasurer; and Justin
ALLEN, Constable. From this time down to 1854 the town meetings were held
on the first Monday in March, annually, and since then upon the first Tuesday
of that month. The second meeting, according to the records, was held at
the house of Benjamin GRISWOLD, and then for two years in a log house in
the "Center District." At a meeting held at the latter place on March 1,
1792, it was "Voted, that two bushels of wheat be taken out of the town
treasury to pay town expenses." Also, "Voted, that Jerusha D_____ shall
be carried off by the selectmen, firstly to her parents, and if she return
from them, then carry her to the last place where they have gained a residence,
and if there is no place where they have gained a residence, then carry
her to the place of her nativity."
From the school-house the place of holding meetings was removed
to the dwelling of Henry MCLAUGHLIN, which was the meeting place till 1797.
After this meetings were held as follows: The house of John KETCHAM till
1804; Noble MUNSON's till 1808; Oliver EASTMAN's till 1810; Robert HOLLEY's
till 1831; Methodist chapel till 1834; at the public house till 1848; school-house
in Bristol village till September 3l, 1857; and then the meeting was adjourned
to meet in a room in the academy building in the village, the town having
paid $600 towards the erection of the building for the "privilege of holding
town and freemen's meetings therein." Here the meetings were held until
"Holley Hall" was built, in 1884, at a cost of $11,300. The site for this
fine structure was donated by Winter HOLLEY and his daughter, Cornelia
SMITH, widow of Oliver A., a son of Charles L. SMITH.
Early Manufactures.--The first grist-mill built in the town was
put up by James, William and John O'BRIAN about the year 1792. It was located
west of South Mountain, upon the brook which still bears the builders'
This mill was a small affair, and was in use but a short time, though
it was very valuable to the early settlers, until a more pretentious structure
was built at New Haven Mills. Subsequently, in 1805, a grist-mill was built
at Bristol village by Enos SOPER, and which did service until September,
1849, when it was destroyed by fire. Henry and Enos SOPER and Uriah ARNOLD
next erected a stone mill in the eastern part of the village. Soon after
the first gristmill was built, Amos SCOTT put up a saw-mill in the western
part of the town, on New Haven River.
At an early day the attention of the inhabitants was directed towards
the practicability of manufacturing their own iron, from the ore afforded
in the township. This idea was carried out, and in 1791 Amos SCOTT, Captain
Gurdon MUNSILL and Cyprian and Amos EASTMAN built a forge near where Scott
erected the first saw-mill. This enterprise, though continued but a comparatively
short time, proved of great importance, not only to Bristol but to neighboring
Subsequently there were six other forges erected, as follows: The
second, by Amos and Ebenezer SCOTT, near where the old John DUNSHEE trip-hammer
shop stood. The iron made here soon began to find its way to Troy, N. Y.,
in payment for goods. The third, built by Joshua FRANKLIN, jr., Henry FRANKLIN,
John ARNOLD and Nehemiah HOBERT, in 1802, was located on the north side
of the river, in what is now Bristol village. This forge did a good business
for many years, manufacturing bar iron. In June, 1809, it was burned, rebuilt,
and again burned in 1816, rebuilt, and destroyed by fire again in 1823,
when it was rebuilt, to be finally destroyed by the great freshet of 1830.
The fourth forge was built in 1832 by Thurston and James CHASE, Nathaniel
DRAKE and George C. DAYFOOT, on Baldwin Creek. It was allowed to go to
ruin many years since. The fifth was located on the north side of the river,
just east of the village, and as late as about 1855 was operated by Winter
H. HOLLEY. The sixth, located on the north side of Baldwin Creek, was built
by Oliver W. BURNHAM, and had a brief existence. The seventh and last was
built by Luman MUNSON, Bennet B. DEAN and D. R. GAIGE, near the old John
DUNSHEE triphammer shop. The business was discontinued between 1850 and
Soon after the year 1800 Elisha FULLER purchased of James HAIR a
site in Bristol village and erected thereon buildings for carrying on the
of cloth dressing. Subsequently machinery for carding wool was added, and
the business was conducted by different parties down to 1830, when the
great freshet swept everything off, and the mill was not rebuilt.
There were few among the early male population of Bristol that had
not served in some capacity in the continental ranks. But as a town, it
of course has no Revolutionary history. On the 7th of June, 1791, the first
militia company was organized here, the "Tenth Company, Second Regiment,
Sixth Brigade Vermont Infantry" Cyprian EASTMAN was elected captain and
Benjamin CLAPP lieutenant, positions of no little honor in those days.
Another company, the "Light Infantry," was organized June 1, 1808, which
elected John HILBORN captain, and Jehial SAXTON lieutenant.
At the invasion of Plattsburgh, in September, 1814, sixty-six volunteers
were present from Bristol. Fifty-one of these served in Captain Jehiel
SAXTON's company, under command of General Strong. Ten were in Captain
JEWETT's company, of New Haven. Ezekiel DUNTON, who was then a brigadier
general, took command of a small company as their captain, and John HOWDEN,
who was the general's aid-de-camp, served in his company as a private.
Robert HOLLEY and Henry GETMAN served in a company from Charlotte, and
Oliver W. BURNHAM served in Captain John MOULTON's company.
In the late great war the town also bore an honorable part. The
following list from the State records gives the names of all who went out
from the town to serve in Vermont regiments:
Volunteers for three years credited previous to call for 300,000
volunteers of October 17, 1863:
J.M. BACON, A. F. BAKER, E. R. BANCROFT, C. L. BARTLETT, H. R. BECKWITH,
R. A. BIRD, H. BOWERS, H. BROOKS, W. BROOKS, N. BUSH, M. BUSHEE, A. BUTLER,
E. D. CHASE, E. D. CHILLSON, H. COOK, A. DANFORTH, G. E. DRAKE, O. B. DRAKE,
W. B. DUNSHEE, E. J. FOSTER, A. N. GAUTHIER, C. GRIMES, B. J. GRINNELL,
J. HAGAN, D. HAMBLIN, J. B. HASTINGS, B. F. HICKIN, J. HINES, A. A. LELAND,
J. MCVAR, H. C. MYERS, J. MOODY, S. S. MORGAN, F. MULLINGS, G. MULLENS,
R. MUNROE, C. R. MYERS, W. W. NEEDHAM, H. NOLAND, J. OAKES, C. O'BRIAN,
H. O'BRIAN, L. ORCUTT, H. L. PRIME, D. C. QUIMBY, J. B. QUIMBY, C. J. S.
RANDALL, H. ROBBINS, J. SCARBOROUGH, J. W. SHADRICK, R. SHARLOW, B. SHELDON,
J. SHELDON, E. TART, N. TART, D. R. THOMPSON, N. C. THOMPSON, E. VRADENBURGH,
C. B. WARNER, C. E. P. WHEELER, E. C. WRIGHT.
Credits under call of October 17, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers,
and subsequent calls:
Volunteers for three years.--A. BEZNER, J. BEZNER, W. E. BICKNELL,
C. BOWERS, H. BROOKS, G. H. BUNKER, F. DANIEL, C. E. DUSHON, D. K. HAMBLIN,
E. R. JACOBS, U. D. JACOBS, H. D. MAY, C. E. NELSON, A. A. PETERS, P. PHINNEY,
S. PRESTON, C. PRINCE, W. T. RICHARDSON, M. ROBERTS, J. SHADICK, W. SHADICK,
L. STEADY, jr., J. WEAVER.
Volunteers for one year.--E. D. CHASE, F. M. DWYER, L. C. FINCH,
G. W. GREEN, N. MCINTYRE, D. MUNROE, H. C. MYERS, F. STRAIT, L. S. WALKER,
L. F. WEAVER, E. WHITTEMORE, G. WHITTEMORE.
Volunteers re-enlisted.--J. M. BACON, E. R. BANCROFT, H. BOWERS,
M. BUSHEE, J. S. CHANDLER, E. D. CHILLSON, A. DANFORTH, C. GRIMES, B. J.
GRINNELL, J. W. HILTON, L. ORCUTT, I. B. QUIMBY, D. R. THOMPSON.
Not credited by name.--Two men.
Volunteers for nine months.--E. D. BARNES, R. C. BROWN, H. BUTLER,
M. CALIHAN, J. CLAPPER, N. F. DUNSHEE, N. GRAVEL, F. W. GRINNELL, A. E.
MANUM, N. MCINTYRE, M. MELIAN, S. W. PALMER, D. PATNO, I. PLAIN, H. C.
POWERS, E. TATRO, S. VRADENBURGH, D. WHITMORE, jr., C. YATTAW.
Furnished under draft.--Paid commutation, C. C. ABBOTT, W. T. DRAKE,
C. KENDALL. Procured substitute, N. CROZIER, T. ROCKWOOD. Entered service,
S. CROZIER, G. Q. DAY.
Present Town Officers.-The present board of officers for the town
is as follows: E. M. KENT, clerk; H. C. MUNSILL, treasurer; H. S. SUMNER,
W. R. PEAKE, and P. W. CHASE, selectmen; E. S. FARR, constable; A. D. SEARLS,
superintendent of schools; W. W. NEEDHAM, N. J. HILL, and C. W. NORTON,
listers; R. A. YOUNG, overseer of the poor; and W. W. RIDER, town agent.
Population Statistics.--The following figures from the tables of
the United States census reports show the population of the town to have
fluctuated little, but rather to have been steadily increasing since the
taking of the first census in 1791: 1791, 211; 1800, 665; 1810, 1,179;
1820, 1,051; 1830, 1,274; 1840, 1,233; 1850, 1,344; 1860, 1,355; 1870,
1,365; 1880, 1,579.
Bristol village occupies a commanding site upon an elevated plain-
about one hundred and twenty feet above the bed of New Haven River, just
after that stream leaves the wild ravine known as "The Notch." Lying thus
at the very base of Hogback Mountain, with South Mountain on the southeast,
fine examples of the picturesque wildness of nature, nearly approaching
grandeur, are ever present to the beholder, and in rare contrast to the
fertile plains north and south, and the broad view sweeping westward to
the Adirondacks of Northern New York.
The village itself lies principally upon four streets, North, South,
East, and West streets, respectively, extending in the direction their
names would suggest. Near the center of the village they intersect, at
which point is enclosed a fine park. The good water power afforded by the
river here is utilized by several manufacturing interests, so that the
village is equally renowned for its business capacity, beauty, and the
fine view it commands. It has about twenty stores, four churches (Methodist
Episcopal, Baptist, Adventist, and Roman Catholic), one hotel, a printing-office,
coffin and casket manufactory, a photograph gallery, two harness shops,
grist-mill, etc., an elegant town hall graded school, six physicians, two
dentists, and about eight hundred inhabitants.
In 1800 this site was almost an unbroken wilderness, there not being
a framed house here and scarcely a barn. A few rude log houses were all
that were to be found. But here manufacturing establishments began to spring
up, as we have detailed on a previous page, bringing workmen to the scene,
and in their wake came shops, stores, etc., which, with the central location
to give them permanency, made the village, as it now is, the metropolis
of the township
The following sketch of the village as it was in 1840 will give
some idea of its growth: W. H. HAWLEY kept a store where the town hall
now stands. Henry SPAULDING had a store in the old brick building now occupied
by Emerson W. SMITH, which was built three years previous. Hezekiah FOSTER
was located as a merchant where the O'Neil block now stands. Henry GALE
was located where W. H. MILLER now is. Abram B. HUNTLEY, now living in
Whiting, had a store where Willis PEAK's house stands, which he built in
1836. About the same time, also, PIER & CHILSON built a store on the
north side of East street, which they conducted several years, and which
was finally destroyed by fire. Philo S. WARNER and Loyal DOWNING were shoemakers,
the former having located here as early as 1825, and the latter occupying
the building now used by Mr. EASTMAN for his harness shop. Deacon Amasa
GRINNELL, a Mr. DEXTER, and Andrew SANTEE (colored) were blacksmiths. John
DUNSHEE and William PERRY had wagon shops here. Albert, son of the former,
is now a resident on the flats. The hotel, "Bristol House," was kept by
Samuel EDDY. Aside from these were the forge, grist-mill, saw-mill and
cloth dressing works we have previously mentioned.
Post office.--A post-office was first established in Bristol in
1803, with Thaddeus MCLAUGHLIN postmaster. The office was located in the
first brick building erected in the town, by the father of Thaddeus, Henry
MCLAUGHLIN, in 1800, and located about a mile west of the present village.
Previous to this the mail matter for Bristol, consisting of a few letters
and the Middlebury Mercury, was brought from Middlebury each week by the
settlers themselves, who alternately shared in the task. In 1804 Jacob
CADWELL was appointed postmaster, and the following year was succeeded
by Isaac CADWELL, who retained the office until 1815, when he in turn was
succeeded by Joseph OTIS. Both Jacob and Isaac CADWELL kept the office
in their house, a log structure used as a hotel, about four miles northeast
from the village, on the Starksboro road. When Joseph OTIS took the office
in 1815, however, he removed it to the village, where it has been retained
since. Fred LANDON is the present postmaster.
Manufacturing Interests.--At the head of the manufacturing interests
of Bristol is the Bristol Manufacturing Company, which was originally established
under the firm name of HOWDEN, DANIELS & Co., for the purpose of manufacturing
coffins and caskets in a small way. This limited business steadily increased,
and in 1867 the firm name was changed to HOWDEN, BOSWORTH & Co., and
on January 1, 1877, a stock company was formed under the title of the Bristol
Manufacturing Company, with W. S. HOWDEN, president, and D. BECKWITH, secretary
and treasurer. The original capital of $25,000 was subsequently increased
$46,000, while to the original business was added that of manufacturing
sash, doors and blinds and general jobbing. The company has a fine water
power and four buildings, with sheds, etc., embracing a sawmill, wood-factory,
two finishing shops, dry-house, office, storage rooms, etc. The works employ
from fifty to sixty hands, and the annual sales amount to about $66,000,
and are constantly increasing. The goods are sold principally in New York
and New England.
R.D. STEWART's grist-mill on South street, operated by W. I. RIDER,
has three run of stones and all modern improvements. The mill was partially
destroyed by the freshet of 1869, a short time previous to which it became
Mr. STEWART's property, and he rebuilt it soon after.
F. GREENOUGH, blacksmith and wagon-maker, began business here in
1878. Octave CUSHMAN, blacksmith and wheelwright, has been in business
here about twenty years. N. MCINTYRE, blacksmith and wagon-maker, has been
here since 1867. J. H. WRIGHT, carriage-maker, has been here since 1850.
Ira T. EASTMAN and William BATTLES are harness-makers, the former having
been here since 1865.
Mercantile Interests.--W. H. MILLER, dealer in clothing and furnishing
goods, began business here in the sale of notions in 1876. In 1885 he went
into his present business, taking the store then occupied by W. B. DUNSHEE.
F. I. WARD, millinery, fancy goods, etc., began business in the O'Neil
block in 1873, and removed to his present location in 1875, which was then
built by Drake FARR, & Co.
E.S. & S. D. FARR, stoves and hardware, began business in 1878,
succeeding the old firm of DRAKE, FARR & Co. who built the block. J.
J. DUMAS, dealer in sash, doors and blinds, etc., began business in 1881.
RIDLEY & VARNEY are undertakers. In 1876 M. P. VARNEY began
the business and J. J. RIDLEY became a partner in 1882.
BUSH & PATTERSON, dealers in groceries and provisions, crockery,
notions, etc., became a firm in 1878, Edward B. PATTERSON buying the interest
of H. C. BARNES, C. P. BUSH's partner. About two years the former partnership
had existed where William E. DUNSHEE now is. The block they now occupy
was built by Mr. PATTERSON in 1878.
W.E. DUNSHEE, who began his mercantile career here in 1856, deals
in groceries and provisions, though he formerly kept a general store.
F.W. NASH began the boot and shoe business in the spring of 1884,
as successor to M. S. WILDS, who had carried on the business over thirty
years, and who built the block. Mr. NASH also carries on the dry goods
and fancy goods trade in the same block, in which he succeeded G. P. PHALEN
N.F. DUNSHEE began the dry goods business in W. E. DUNSHEE's block
in 1883. In company with Willis PEAK he formerly carried on the same business
where W. H. MILLER now is.
C.S. BRISTOL, jewelry and boots and shoes, began business in 1872
upon the opposite side of the street from his present location, to which
he moved in 1873.
E.C. DIKE, hardware, stoves, tinware, etc., began business here
in 1869 as DIKE, BIXBY & Co.; he became sole proprietor in 1880.
S.W. HATCH, undertaking, furniture and carpets, began business in
C.P. ABERNETHY, grocery and market, began at his present location
D.M. STRONG, grocery and market, began business in his present store
Dr. D. A. BISBEE, proprietor of the "Village Drug Store," bought
out Hiram SHATTUCK in 1880, who had been in the business here a number
Dr. E. M. KENT, drugs and medicines, began business in 1872.
Peter H. LANDER & Co., cigar-makers and dealers, in business
here since October, 1884, employ twenty hands.
C.E. SMITH carries on the photograph gallery, and sells picture
J. MILLER is a merchant tailor.
M.W., P.P. and J.S. WILSON established the Bristol Herald in May,
1879, under the firm name of WILSON Brothers. The paper is an eight column
Republican sheet. They also do job printing.
The Bristol House was bought by Abram GAIGE, father to T. B. GAIGE,
and rebuilt by him about 1820. He continued in the hotel business here
until about 1834 or 1835, when he was succeeded by his son, D. R. GAIGE,
and Luman MUNSON. Among those who have acted as its landlord may be mentioned
Samuel EDDY, William RUTHERFORD, Ransom TAFT, PARTCH & POST, and David
BROWN, the latter of whom sold to the present proprietor, J. J. RIDLEY,
in February, 1871.
The Professions.--W. W. RIDER, the lawyer of Bristol, was born here
in 1841. He studied law with Horatio NEEDHAM, was admitted to the bar in
1865, and has practiced here since.
Dr. E. G. PRIME was born in Bristol in 1843. He graduated from the
Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia in 1870, and from the Royal College
of Edinburgh, Scotland, in June, 1882. He practiced one year in Glasgow,
in Rutland two years, Boston one year, and has been in Bristol since.
Dr. D. A. BISBEE, born in Brandon in 1852, graduated from the Michigan
University in 1875, and came here in 1879.
Dr. E. M. KENT, born in Lincoln in 1843, graduated from the University
of Vermont in 1866, and has practiced here since.
D. A. A. DEAN was born in Monkton in 1857, graduated from the University
of New York in 1878, and has practiced here since.
Dr. George O. W. FARNHAM was born in Shoreham in 1859, graduated
from the University of Vermont in 1883, and has been here since.
H.A. HASSELTINE studied dentistry with A. A. ROSSETER, and began
practice here in 1877.
E.W. SHATTUCK studied in Bristol and at Lowell, Mass., and began
the practice of dentistry here in 1881.
The Bristol Baptist Church was organized by Elder Joseph CALL, in
1794, with nine members. Rev. Thomas TUTTLE was the first settled minister.
The church building, erected in 1794, will seat two hundred and fifty persons,
and is valued at $4,900, including grounds. The society now has one hundred
and two members, with Rev. P. B. STRONG, pastor, who was installed August
1, 1885. The present officers of the society are Daniel W. DURFEE, Octavius
CUSHMAN and William MILLER, prudential committee; J. J. DUMAS and A. J.
AVERILL, deacons; and Wallace RIDER, treasurer.
The Congregational Church was organized July 8, 1805, by Rev. J.
BUSHNELL, of Cornwall, who at an early day occasionally preached here.
David INGRAHAM, first deacon, continued to officiate until he removed from
town in 1815. They had no stated preaching for several years, nor house
of worship till 1819, when they built a house in connection with the Baptists
and Universalists, each denomination to occupy in proportion to the amount
paid for its erection. They occupied their share until 1837, when they
built the present Congregational Church. Rev. Calvin BUTLER, ordained February
10, 1842, was the first settled minister, the society at that time having
sixty-seven members. The church now has no regular pastor, and the building
is leased to the Adventists.
The Methodist Church of Bristol Village was organized in 1813, services
being held at the residence of Ebenezer SAXTON. Rev. Stephen SCOVENBERGER
preached the first Methodist sermon in Bristol. Services were held in barns
and private houses until 1819, when a chapel was built which did service
until 1840, when the present church was erected, and is now valued at about
$3,000. The society has ninety-five members, with Rev. A. H. NASH, pastor,
installed May 1, 1885. The stewards of the society, who are by law of the
State ex-officio trustees, are F. LANDON, C. W. SMITH, F. I. WARD, E. VILMORE,
S. B. SEARLES, B. W. POLLARD, F. S. THOMPSON, A. FERGUSON and J. T. TUCKER.
The Advent Christian Church held services as early as 1840, a portion
of the time in Academy Hall. The society is now organized with nineteen
members, holding services in the Congregational Church, which they have
leased for a term of years. Rev. Hiland QUIMBY, the first pastor, was succeeded
by the present incumbent, Rev. S. P. HAYWARD, in 1885. The officers of
the society are William HOWDEN and Samuel STEWART, deacons.
Educational.--The Bristol Scientific Institute was established many
years ago, and during the late war was changed to the Bristol Academy,
which name it retained till March 2, 1881, when it was organized as the
Bristol Graded School. The present building, erected in 1855, was removed
a hundred rods to its present location about 1876. Mason S. STONE is principal
of the academy, assisted by E. A. HASSELTINE, Julia BARRY, Hattie BISSONETTE
and Miss SPENCER. The town has nine school districts.
Secret Societies.--Libanus Lodge No. 47, F. and A. M., was chartered
January 13, 1859. It now has seventy-nine members, and meets the second
Monday evening of each month. Its officers are as follows: H. S. SUMNER,
W. M.; S. W. HATCH, S. W.; A. A. DEAN, secy.; H. B. WILLIAMS, treas.; C.
W. HULER, S. D.; W. H. PRIME, J. D.; E. A. HASSELTINE, chaplain; C. W.
NORTON, G. W. FLINN, E. W. SMITH, finance committee; J. R. KILBORN, O.
C. CRANDALL, stewards; H. P. SHERWIN, tiler, and W. W. NEEDHAM, marshal.
TAYLOR, K.; H. S. SUMNER, S.; S. F. HASSELTINE, secy.; H. B. WILLIAMS,
treas.; W. P. CHASE, C. O. H.; E. A. HASSELTINE, P. S.; W. W. NEEDHAM,
R. A. C.; G. W. FLINN, M. 3d V.; G. W. SMITH, M. 2d V.; Jas. DUNTON, M.
1st V.; A. E. MUNSON, E. G. PRINE, stewards; W. S. CRAMPTON, tiler. Convocation
first Wednesday of each month. Number of members thirty-one.
Munsill Council has fifteen members, with the following officers:
E. A. HASSELTINE, J. I. M.; S. BRUNCH, D. M.; A. E. MUNSON, P. C.; L. S.
XVIII, pages 397-415.
of the Town of Bristol.
of Addison County, Vermont,
And Biographical Sketches
Of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers."
by H. P. Smith. Syracuse, N. Y.;
& Co., Publishers, 1886.
by Jan Maloy, 2002
Page for look-up offers concerning this town.