town of Granville, situated in the eastern part of the county, is bounded
on the north by the town of Warren and a part of Roxbury in Washington
county; east by Braintree, in Orange county; south by Hancock, and west
by Ripton and a small part of Lincoln. It was granted by Governor Thomas
CHITTENDEN on the 7th of November, 1780, and chartered August 2, 1781,
to the following proprietors: Reuben KING, James LUSK, Daniel KING, Robert
GRAHAM, James MEAD, Joseph FARNSWORTH, Justus MITCHELL, John STANFORD,
John STANFORD, jr., John MAY, Ira ALLEN, Daniel BEAMAN, Ebenezer WRIGHT,
Amos CROSBEE, Isaac POMEROY, Philip OLCUTT, Jacob SHELDON, William SLADE,
Seth BANISTER, Elias STAPLES, John CUTLER, Jesse ABBOTT, Solomon BANISTER,
Thomas WOOD, Thomas KING, Sylvanus WALKER, Aaron GRAVES, Thomas BLISS,
John HILL, Daniel HAYNES, Jonathan MOORE, Gideon KING, James SHAW, Daniel
RUSSELL, John MCELWAIN, Isaac ROBERTS, William MCDOLE, John SPEAR, Joseph
MCCLINTOCK, John MCMASTER, William SPEAR, James MCCLINTOCK, John HURLBURT,
jr., Narcissus GRAHAM, Aaron T. BOGE, Benjamin SCOTT, Isaac KING, John
HURLBURT, Joseph GRAHAM, Phinehas SHELDON, Reuben PARSONS, Benjamin SHELDON,
Asaph SHELDON, Ezra SHELDON, Alexander SHELDON, Cephas GILLETT, David GRAHAM,
As was usual in the settlement of towns in this State, the clearing
of farms and rearing of homes was in fact effected not by the proprietors
themselves, but chiefly by grantees under them. The town was originally
called "Kingston," from the numerous persons of that name among the proprietors;
but owing to some local difficulty, a portion of the inhabitants, under
the leadership of Isaac PARKER, procured on November 6, 1833, a substitution
of the present name for the old one. The township originally contained,
it is said, the orthodox 23,040 acres, but on the 6th of November, 1833,
was enlarged by the annexation of a part of Avery's Gore.
The surface of Granville is almost entirely rough and mountainous,
and for the most part composed of rocky soil which it is next to impossible
to cultivate. Large tracts of timbered land attest, however, the proper
worth of the town for industrial purposes. Through the center of the town
a broad valley of excellent alluvial soil, drained by White River and its
tributaries, extends to the north and south, and constitutes almost the
only arable earth in the town. Many pleasing and romantic spots are found
here, which are prevented from becoming widely known only by the mountainous
barriers which lift their bristling shoulders on every side. The scenery
about Moss Glen Falls is beautiful in the extreme. This cascade is situated
on a branch of the White River, near the center of the town, where the
waters are precipitated over a huge rock one hundred feet high, the lower
falls of fifty feet being vertical. At the base the continual force of
the falling torrent has worn a hole in the rocks ten feet deep. The glen
which surrounds this fall is surpassingly beautiful.
Mad River rises in the northern part and flows north into Washington
county, while several branches of the East Branch of White River rise in
the western part of the town and flow east into Orange county. The soil
of the tillable land is mostly a fine alluvial deposit, constantly enriched
by washings from the highlands, distributed by overflows. The overflows,
however, sometimes overstep their bounds and become freshets. The most
destructive of these torrents occurred during the great storm of July 26,
1830. There had been an unusual fall of rain during the whole season, but
on the third day previous to the flood--Saturday--at about three o'clock
P. M., rain fell with unusual vehemence until Sabbath morning. At the close
of the Sabbath the waters which had "overborne their continents" again
began to retreat slowly and sullenly to their wonted channels. Early in
the forenoon of Monday, however, the storm broke with redoubled fury, continuing
until far into the night. Houses, barns, bridges and everything in the
course of the mad torrent were swept before it, causing an incredible loss
of property, though, happily, no lives were lost. The deep gulf at Moss
Glen Falls, lying between the mountain on the west and the hill on the
opposite side, was literally filled up by an immense mass of earth that
had been undermined by the water until it made a land-slide, forming a
dam that raised the waters above to a height of seventy-five feet above
the normal course, as was proven afterwards by the drift-wood, etc., lodged
in the tops of the trees. At about twelve o'clock this immense mass gave
way, and the waters from the mighty reservoir formed by it came thundering
down through the valley, carrying destruction with it. The inhabitants
having betaken themselves to the higher land was all that prevented a great
loss of life. The narrowest escape was that of David WILEY, in the eastern
part of the town, whose house was swept away, while he and his family escaped
death by clinging to a projecting rock, under a portion of which they took
refuge until morning.
At a meeting of the proprietors of Granville (or Kingston) held
at Windsor on the 28th of September, 1784, a vote was passed to give one
hundred acres of land to each of the first women who should go with their
families to make a permanent settlement in the town. The offer was accepted
by Mrs. Daniel KING, Mrs. Elizabeth STERLING, and Persis, wife of Israel
BALL, grandfather of Joseph P. BALL, who was afterwards one of the most
influential men in the town. Settlement thereupon rapidly increased. The
first town meeting was held on the 8th of July, 1788, at the house of Israel
BALL, at which Israel BALL was chosen moderator; Joseph PATRICK, town clerk;
Israel BALL, Asa WOOD and Moses KING, selectmen; Gideon ABBOTT, constable
and collector; Joshua BECKWITH, grand juror; Joseph PATRICK and Joel RICE,
highway surveyors. The meeting was then adjourned to the dwelling house
of Daniel KING, September 16, 1788, at which it was voted among other things
to "pertition" the General Assembly for a land tax, and that said tax be
two pence per acre.
Among the early officers Joseph PATRICK retained the office of town
clerk, with the exception of the year 1793, until 1832. He also held the
office of justice of the peace thirty-six years, though Daniel KING was
the first justice. Joseph RICE was the first representative, chosen in
Israel BALL came before 1780 from Massachusetts and made his first
pitch on the land in more recent days owned by Daniel BABCOCK and Eleazer
HUBBARD. He had four sons and three daughters. The boys were Levi, Ezra,
Tyler and Rufus. Levi was a soldier in the Revolution and passed the greater
part of his life in town. Ezra moved to Canada. Tyler lived on the place
now occupied by his son, Joseph P. BALL, who has been more than forty years
justice of the peace, and six times sent to the Legislature. Tyler died
in 1828. Rufus BALL removed to Corinth and died there.
Joseph PATRICK settled first on the place now occupied by Henry
JACKSON, and afterwards where Eleazer HUBBARD lives, where he ended his
days. Ira and Seth PATRICK are his grandsons. Asa WOOD made a settlement
in "North Hollow." Moses KING located on the farm now occupied by Zeba
LAMB. Ransom BECKWITH settled in South Hollow, where Leonard BEAN now lives.
Joel RICE, from New Hampshire, made his clearing on the road to
Warren in "North Hollow," on the place where his son, Denison RICE, and
his grandson N. D. RICE, now live. Mrs. Rufus M. HUBBARD was a granddaughter
of Joel RICE. Daniel KING settled on the farm now occupied by John A. VINTON.
Thomas KING's residence was on the site now occupied by Zeba LAMB. Isaac
PARKER, already mentioned as being instrumental in the change of the name
of the town, lived where Christopher C. HUBBARD now lives. A. X. PARKER,
the present member of Congress from Potsdam, N. Y., is his son, and was
born on that farm. Jonathan Lamb settled in "South Hollow" on the farm
now owned by Augustus F. VINTON. His cousin, Amos LAMB, was the progenitor
of nearly all of those bearing the family name now living in town. Peter
THATCHER lived in "South Hollow," where Frank S. ELLIS now resides; Mrs.
ELLIS is a granddaughter of Thatcher. James PARKER, brother of Isaac, established
a residence on the present farm of Eleazer HUBBARD. Eli LEWIS located in
"North Hollow," on the place now occupied by Cynthia GOODENOW; Newman SCARLET,
on the place where A. N. BRIGGS lives; Nathan STERLING, on the farm now
in the hands of Ira and Seth PATRICK. He was what is called "a character,"
and used to relate, among other canards, that he had bent his gun-barrel
and shot quail around his hay-stack. Phineas LEE lived on the place now
occupied by Royal STURDEVANT. Enos PARKER, a distant relative of Isaac
PARKER, settled where John MCDONALD now lives. Oliver WOOD lived in "North
Hollow." Timothy WADE made his clearing on the land now occupied by H.
J. SPEAR. Arna HUBBARD came about 1830 to the place now occupied by Joseph
FLINT. His son, Rufus M., now a prominent citizen of the town, held the
office of town clerk for seventeen years following 1867.
The early industries of the town were not very numerous nor very
extensive. The inhabitants were busy clearing and cultivating their farms,
building their rude log houses, and caring for their stock. Taverns were
opened, indeed, agreeably to the hospitable nature of our forefathers;
nearly every private house was not infrequently converted for a night into
a home for the wayfaring man. About the earliest tavern here was kept by
Eleazer KENDALL in the house now occupied by Royal H. BOSTWICK.
It is not known positively who received the first appointment as
postmaster, but one of the earliest incumbents was Uriah, son of Joel RICE.
Succeeding him have been Warren HAYDEN, L. A. ABBOTT, A. W. ALBEE, A. G.
ALLEN and F. B. DIMMICK, who held the office from about 1868 to the fall
of 1885, when W. S. WHITNEY received the appointment.
The only hotel now in town was built about ten years ago by the
present owners, D. H. WHITNEY & Sons. L. L. UDALL has acted the part
of mine host since April, 1882. D. H. WHITNEY & Sons also own the only
store building now open in Granville. LECKNER & UDALL, who own the
stock, have been in the building since the opening of spring, 1882.
The principal industry in this entire vicinity is the lumber interest.
Granville has no grist-mill, owing, no doubt, to the proximity of the excellent
mill at Rochester. The saw-mills in town are the following: TARBELL's saw-mill,
in East Granville, built by the present proprietor, Daniel TARBELL, about
1855, which cuts, it is said, not less than 300,000 feet of lumber per
year; W. S. WHITNEY's mill, at "The Center," which was almost rebuilt in
the fall of 1885, and which manufactures about 300,000 feet of lumber,
150,000 cave-spouts, and large quantities of chair-stock, fork and hoe
handles, per annum; the clapboard and circular saw-mill, on White River,
owned by the Northfield Savings Bank and operated by A. S. & A. C.
Ralph; D. D. HEMENWAY's wooden bowl factory, situated at the village, erected
in 1879 by R. N. HEMENWAY, and consuming 75,000 feet of lumber annually
in the manufacture of wooden bowls; the shingle and clapboard-mill owned
and operated by Newman D. RICE and Aldus HILL, established as a shingle-mill
in 1879; (steam power has lately been added, greatly increasing the capacity
of the factory); and the clapboard-mill of George BROOKS and A. A. HANKS,
in the north part of the town, started about three years ago.
In the War of the Rebellion, Granville, surrounded as she is by
the "Old Gray Mountains of the North," sent forth her hardy sons to aid
in crushing the destructive forces which aimed at the dissolution of the
Union. The following are the names of those who enlisted in Vermont organizations:
Volunteers for three years credited previous to call for 300,000
volunteers of October 17, 1863:
V. W. ALBEE,
D. C. BAILEY, O. BEREAN, J. BECOTTE, P. BURKE, E. C. BUTLER, J. A. CADY,
E. J. CHASE, E. CLOUGH, C. W. COOLEY, W. O. COCHRAN, J. DEVINE, R. DEVINE,
O. DUMAS, D. ELLIS, S. GARROW, E. W. HARVEY, J. H. HIGHLEN, C. L. JONES,
J. KERR, R. E. LAMED, J. PATTON, P. P. RIPLEY, N. B. STARK, C. ST. JOHN,
M. STOWE, A. THURSTON, J. TRACY, H. WOOD, M. WOOD, H. P. WORCESTER.
Credits under call of October 17, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers,
and subsequent calls:
Volunteers for three years.--J. B. ALDRICH, H. A. BACON, C. BEDELL,
E. CHURCH, W. B. COBB, W. V. EASTMAN, B. EDWARDS, A. A. FORD, J. H. FORD,
J. INGLESTON, O. E. KENNEDY, H. J. RUSS, C. SHERMAN, jr., C. ST. JOHN,
jr., N. C. SWAN.
Volunteers for one year.--S. CRONK, E. DILLON, G. W. FISHER, A.
KEMP, R. MAXWELL, S. MAXWELL, H. T. J. ROYCE.
Volunteer re-enlisted.--R. E. LAMED.
Not credited by name.--Two men.
Volunteers for nine months.--M. B. MOREHOUSE, W. RHODES, O. T. TUCKER,
S. C. WEBSTER, G. N. WRIGHT.
Furnished under draft.--Paid commutation, N. A. ROBINSON, H. J.
SMITH, H. WOOD, J. WOOD, jr. Procured substitute, A. F. VINTON.
The town boasts of having no lawyers and but one physician, Dr.
J. R. HAMLIN, who came here three or four years ago, and has won an extensive
ride. He practices homeopathy.
The town officers of Granville elected in March, 1885, are as follows:
John A. VINTON, moderator; E. F. BRIGGS, town clerk; H. C. HUBBARD, A.
F. KENNEDY, L. WEBB, selectmen; S. F. HUBBARD, town treasurer; George E.
WOLSON, overseer of the poor; E. F. BRIGGS, constable and collector; John
G. WOLSON, Henry E. FARR, L. WEBB, jr., listers; R. J. FLINT, E. F. BRIGGS,
W. S. WHITNEY, auditors; S. F. HUBBARD, trustee of surplus moneys; O. C.
BRIGGS, W. S. WHITNEY, C. DOWDELL, fence viewers; Allen J. LAMB, town agent;
R. J. FLINT, superintendent of schools; Fred A. LEWIS, John A. VINTON,
L. WEBB, jr., road commissioners (the first ever elected in this town).
The following figures indicate the steady growth in population of
the town from the taking of the first census in 1791 to the last in 1880:
1791, 181; 1800, 185; 1810, 324; 1820, 328; 1830, 403; 1840, 545; 1850,
603; 1860, 720; 1870, 726; 1880, 830.
The educational status of the town may readily be inferred from
the statement that there are here ten school districts, and a well-attended
school in each district.
Ecclesiastical.--The only active church organization now in town
is of the Methodist Episcopal persuasion, and was formed in 1871 by the
first pastor, Rev. W. J. KIDDER. The original membership numbered only
seven persons. In 1876-77 they erected a substantial house of worship at
a cost of $2,446, which was burned in December, 1882. They now own the
old Union meeting-house which was erected in 1838, and rebuilt in 1871.
Rev. William H. DEAN is now their pastor.
XXII, pages 460 – 466.
of the Town of Granville.
of Addison County, Vermont,
And Biographical Sketches
Of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers."
by H. P. Smith. Syracuse, N. Y.;
& Co., Publishers, 1886.
by Jan Maloy, 2002