waters of Otter Creek, Middlebury River and Little Otter Creek give the
town a good water power. There are some manufactures in the town, but agriculture
is the principal pursuit of the inhabitants. Quarries of excellent marble
are found in almost every part of this town . . . The settlement of New
Haven was commenced in 1769, by a few emigrants from Salisbury, Ct., on
that part which is now set off to Waltham. The settlement was, however,
broken up and abandoned in 1776 in consequences of the revolutionary war.
Near this settlement, and on that part of the township now constituting
a part of the city of Vergennes, a fort was erected and garrisoned by troops
commanded by Capt. Ebenezer Allen, and others, to protect the frontier
settlements from the common enemy, the "Yorkers." At the close of the war,
the settlers returned, and in 1785 the town was organized."
of Vermont, Hayward, 1849.
OF THE TOWN OF NEW HAVEN
for this work, substantially,
S. Dana, of New Haven
New Haven is situated in the central part of Addison county, in
latitude 44 degrees 6' and longitude 30 degrees 53', between the Green
Mountains on the east and Grand View and Buck Mountains on the west. Some
parts of it are moderately rolling, and there are pleasant valleys and
fine streams. The greater part of the rocks underlying the soil are limestone
and red sand rock, the former cropping out in ledges and furnishing materials
for lime and building purposes. There are also quarries of fine marble.
The soil consists of clay and loam, with alluvial deposits; along the several
streams in many places are bowlders and pebbles, deposited here during
the drift period. The town was originally covered with a heavy growth of
timber, consisting principally of maple, beech, birch, elm, basswood, walnut,
pine, oak, hemlock, etc. In the central and northeastern parts were low,
swampy tracts, covered with a heavy growth of cedar. Springs of pure, cold
water are abundant, and the town is well supplied with streams. New Haven
River enters the town near the southeast corner, washing the whole southern
portion, and flows into Otter Creek near the southwest corner. Otter Creek,
which flows to the north, forms a part of the southwestern boundary of
the town. Little Otter Creek rises in the central part of the town, flows
northwesterly into Ferrisburgh, and thence into Lake Champlain. The Central
Vermont Railroad extends through the entire western portion of the town,
having two mail stations, at Brooksville and New Haven Depot. The town
is bounded on the north by Ferrisburgh, Monkton, and Bristol; east by Bristol;
south by Middlebury and Weybridge, and west by Weybridge and Waltham.
On November 2, 1761, Governor Benning Wentworth granted to John
EVARTS and sixty-one associates, in sixty-eight shares, and according to
the charter to contain 25,040 acres, an area of a little more than six
miles square. This John EVARTS, of Salisbury, Conn., was that year deputed
to repair to Portsmouth, N. H., and obtain charters of two townships. He
first designed to locate them on the sites of Clarendon and Rutland; but
learning that charters already covered that region, and the territory north
of Leicester had not been granted, and having some knowledge of the lower
falls on Otter Creek (now Vergennes), he began at these falls, laying off
his townships south of that place, and bounded on the west by the creek.
Finding a sufficient extent of territory between Leicester and the falls
named for three townships, he obtained that number of charters, having
redistributed the names of the applicants in such a manner as to secure
the grants of three instead of two. This town he named New Haven, after
the capital of his own State. To designate the starting point more permanently
than "a tree marked," a cannon was inserted in a hole in a rock, with the
muzzle upward. This cannon has ever since been the guiding landmark not
only of New Haven and Salisbury, but of Middlebury, inasmuch as Middlebury
took its boundaries from the south line of New Haven, and Salisbury from
the south line of Middlebury. In process of years this cannon became hidden
from view by the accumulation of soil, and which, from repeated additions,
now covers it to the depth of several feet; but a bar of iron seasonably
inserted in the muzzle can now be seen protruding above the superincumbent
In the charter Governor Wentworth reserved to himself five hundred
acres in the northwest corner of the town, considered equivalent to two
shares; assigned for the gospel and schools four other shares, and one
to each of the other grantees.
Although chartered in 1761, the town remained an unbroken wilderness
until 1769. A few families that year removed from Salisbury, Conn., and
settled near the creek in what is now Waltham and Vergennes. Among them
were John GRISWOLD and family of five sons, and twelve other settlers,
among whom were Phineas BROWN and Joshua HYDE. Here were made considerable
improvements; a saw-mill was erected by GRISWOLD and others at the falls
in Vergennes, then called New Haven Falls; but they were surprised from
their quiet labor by the advent of Colonel REID, of New York, with a body
of armed dependents, who claimed the land on both sides of Otter Creek
for a distance of two miles on each shore, from its mouth to Sutherland
Falls, by right of a patent from the governor of his State. The settlers
were forcibly ejected and tenants of his own put into possession, who built
more houses and a grist-mill. These were in turn dispossessed by Ethan
ALLEN and his brave men, their houses and grist-mill destroyed, and the
rightful owners put in possession of their property. In July, 1773, Colonel
REID again came on with a number of Scotch emigrants and again expelled
the first settlers, and repaired the mill. When this became known at Bennington,
ALLEN and his followers proceeded immediately to New Haven Falls and forcibly
reinstated their friends. They broke the mill-stones and threw them over
the falls. They also erected a fort a short distance above the falls and
garrisoned it with a small party under command of Ebenezer ALLEN, and after
this received no further molestation from the "Yorkers." But the settlers
had scarcely begun to feel safe from raids from this quarter, before the
settlement was again broken up and the records destroyed by the noted Jacob
SHERWOOD, a Tory and "Yorker" of Revolutionary memory.
Few of the original grantees of the town ever became actual settlers.
A few were represented among the latter by their children, but most of
them sold their shares to the actual settlers at a nominal value. But little
is known of the proceedings of the proprietors previous to the settlement
of the town, owing to the loss of records; but it is evident from the records
of other towns that they did business up to 1774. The earliest record at
our command is dated Salisbury, March 23, 1774, which reads as follows:
"Then the proprietors of the township of New Haven (a township lately granted
under the great seal of the Province of New Hampshire, now in the Province
of New York) met according to a legal warning in the Connecticut Current,
at the dwelling house of Capt. Samuel MORE, Innholder in Salisbury in Litchfield
County and Colony of Connecticut in New England. Firstly Voted." (No
The next record is as follows: "New Haven, October 10, 1774. Then
the proprietors of this town met according to the adjournment of a legal
meeting of said proprietors of the 23 of March last. First voted Andrew
Barton moderator for said meeting, in the room of the old moderator he
being absent. 2ond, voted Justus SHEERWOOD Proprietors Clerk. 3rd, voted
to adjourn said meeting to STEWARDS in said town for the space of half
an hour. 4th, voted that a certain parcel of land be given to the further
and more speedy settling of the town. Whereas the settlement of the township
of New Haven has been much hindered, by repeated encroachments from noxious
claimants, and by reason of the small number of settlers, those which were
actual residents have been great sufferers, and several times by force
expelled from the premises. For the future to prevent the like illegal
intrusion, and for the more speedy settlement of this town, the proprietors
do therefore 5th, vote to give 60 acres of land out of each right or share
of land throughout this Town, which land shall be given to as many of the
undernamed, as shall settle the same by the first day of June 1775. 150
acres to each man that erects a house, and actually resides and improves
on his lot for the space of five years, or brings a man in his room to
do said duty, and on his so settling by the first of June, he shall have
a conditional deed, to secure him in doing the above duty. And that, on
any man's failure of so doing the duty, his land shall revert back to those
that gave it. Likewise voted, Seth WARNER, Ethan ALLEN, Noah LEE, Committee
procure deeds for the adventurers. 6th, Voted that Robert COCKRAN, Ethan
ALLEN, Seth WARNER, Peleg SUNDERLAND, Samuel HERRICK, Elnathan HUBBELL,
Jesse SAWYER, shall have two years time to settle their part of the land
given by the proprietors."
The adventurers' names are as follows: Ethan ALLEN, Seth WARNER,
Robert COCHRAN, Samuel HERRICK, Peleg SUNDERLAND, Jesse SAWYER, Elnathan
HUBBELL, Eben WALLIS, Noah LEE, Phineas BROWN, John STEWARD, Andrew BARTON,
Justus SHERWOOD, John GRIZEL, Eli ROBERT, Eleazer BAXTER, Justus WEBSTER,
Asahel BLANCHARD, ---- STURTEVANT, William LOMAS, William SMITH, Mathew
MACURE, Isaac BUCK, John ROWLY, John TUFF, John STEARNS, Amos WELLER, Jonathan
WILLIAMS, William STEWARD, Peletiah SOPER, David TORRY, Joseph BAKER, John
MORRILL, George SAXTON, Josiah SANBORN.
The first three divisions of land were lost; the fourth was made
in June, 1775, each proprietor to receive 100 acres to be laid parallel
with the town line, not to exceed 200 rods in length per lot, said division
to begin after the above sequestered lands are laid to the above adventurers.
"Voted, that Eli ROBERTS, Andrew BARTON and Justus SHERWOOD be committee
to make the fourth division. William STEWARD, Luther EVARTS, Justus SHERWOOD,
committee to layout highways." "Voted, Luther EVERTS to make a plan of
the town." It was voted that on each adventurer's lot of one hundred acres,
five were given for highways. Justus WEBSTER drew No. 12, on which he settled.
At a proprietors' meeting of March 6, 1776, held at John GRISWOLD's house,
proprietors were taxed two dollars or four days' work for "rectifying highways,"
or for making a plan of the town; forty acre division made afterward at
this meeting as mentioned. The last proprietors' meeting of which record
exists was on January 11, 1793.
Prior to the Revolution and during that war, settlements were made
in various parts of the town. Justus SHERWOOD came in 1774, and settled
in June on lot 31, the farm since owned by the late judge Elias BOTTUM,
and erected his dwelling exactly where judge BOTTUM's family graveyard
now is. He was proprietors' clerk from the first meeting held in town,
October 10, 1774, until probably the latter part of 1776, when he left
on account of the war. On a visit to Bennington, being no longer able to
disguise his true sentiments, he gave utterance to remarks that denoted
sympathy with the royal cause, at which the Whigs of that place, taking
offense, tried him before "Judge LYNCH," and sentenced him to a punishment
of twenty lashes, familiarly known as the "beech seal," which, if not seriously
wounding to the body, was humiliating to the feelings of the culprit and
but amusing to the spectators. While in New Haven SHERWOOD was in fact
a secret agent of a company of New York land-jobbers, in their pay, and
himself engaged at the same time in speculating in the patents issued by
the governor of New Hampshire; and that he might be effectually secured
from the hostility of the settlers and maintain with them a free and unsuspected
intercourse, he located in a part of the settlement where he could most
effectually subserve their interests. Exasperated at his exposure, he raised
a company of Royalists, conducted them to Canada, and entered the British
service. After the war he received a pension of a crown a day during life
and the grant of 1,200 acres of land in Upper Canada, opposite Ogdensburgh.
Before leaving New Haven, having in his hands, as proprietors' clerk, their
records, he buried nearly all of them in an iron pot, having a potash-kettle
turned over it, near his house, marking the place; but they were never
This town has undergone several changes. October 29, 1789, a tract
of land on the north called New Haven Gore was annexed to it, and October
29, 1791, a part of the town was annexed to Weybridge. October 23, 1783,
a corner was taken to aid in the incorporation of the city of Vergennes,
a portion of which, together with a part of Addison and this town, were
in November, 1796, taken to form the town of Waltham.
Amongst the first permanent settlers, except those already mentioned,
were COOK and Andrew BARTON in the Waltham part, Justus STURDEVANT and
David STOWE in the Weybridge part, and Captain Miles BRADLEY, Enos PECK,
Elijah FOOT, Elisha FULLER, Bazadeel RUDD, William ENO and others, in the
New Haven part.
March 20, 1787, the town was organized, with Ebenezer FIELD, moderator,
and Elijah FOOT, town clerk and treasurer; Ebenezer FIELD, Eli ROBERTS,
and Enos PECK, selectmen; Bazadeel RUDD, William ENO, Asa WHEELER, listers;
Ed. WRIGHT, William WOODBRIDGE, grand jurors; Nathan GRISWOLD, leather
inspector; Wait HOYT, Truman WHEELER, Andrew BARTON, John HAYWARD, David
GRISWOLD, Robert WOOD, Reuben GRENELL, Enos PECK, fence viewers.
There were eight school districts in 1799. In 1803 there were ten,
with 399 scholars in attendance. In 1828 there were 629 scholars in attendance,
and upward of 500 for a period of thirty years, since which the number
has yearly lessened. In 1886 there are twelve whole districts and two fractions,
with 260 school children in attendance.
The first birth on record is that of Hannah, daughter of Amos P.
SHERMAN, July 20, 1786, in what was at that time New Haven (now Waltham).
Martin ENO was born in 1786 or '87. There is little doubt but that others
were born in the vicinity of the fort near Vergennes Falls before either
of those mentioned. The first school-house was built in district No. 1,
upon the site occupied by the present building. This house, it is related,
was quite small, so much so as to be considered by the female portion of
the community wholly unfit for the purpose for which it was intended. Accordingly,
while the men were all away upon a wolf hunt one day, the women repaired
to the building with axes, and soon razed it to the ground. A more pretentious
affair soon after took its place.
The first representative of the town was Phinehas BROWN --- 1786.
The first justice was Elijah FOOT--1787. Others following were Jonathan
HOYT, thirty-five years; Elias BOTTUM, thirty-two years; Daniel TWITCHELL,
thirty years, Othniel JEWETT, twenty-eight years; William NASH, twenty
years; Jabez LANGDON, eighteen years; Samuel CHALKER, eighteen years; Calvin
SQUIER, sixteen years; Alfred ROSCOE, twelve years; James SAXTON, fifteen
years; Horace PLUMLEY, twelve years; Horace P. BIRGE, twelve years.
At a town meeting, April 28, 1795, a committee was appointed to
unite with the proprietors' committee to "complete the business by making
out a plan of the whole and petition the General Assembly to tax all the
land in said town to defray the expenses thereof; also to petition to pitch
the undivided lands, and to establish the first, second, and third divisions
as they were originally laid, and also the fourth and fifth and other pitches
as they are surveyed." The committee was Reuben FIELD, Andrew MILLS, Seth
LANGDON, Giles DOUD, Andrew SQUIER, and William ENO. Lots drawn under these
divisions cannot be given. 1798, Voted "to divide the town if a dividing
line can be agreed upon." 1802, agitation over "center of town," and site
of meeting-house. In 1794 the Legislature passed an act appropriating to
the use of common schools in the Hampshire Grants the shares of the "Society
for the Propagation of the Gospel." But that society, instead of abandoning
their claim, transferred it to the Episcopal Church. That church contested
the constitutionality of the above mentioned law in the United States Court.
After protracted litigation the matter was decided in favor of the church.
The suit, which was to test the validity of the church's title throughout
the State, was brought against the town of New Haven. The share in New
Haven for the first settled minister, after an attempt made by the Universalists
to obtain it, was, by a vote of the town, appropriated to the use of common
Solomon BROWN, an old Revolutionary hero, came to New Haven in 1787,
locating upon the farm now owned by his son Ira, and built the first house
of logs on that farm. Mr. BROWN was not only one of the heroes of the memorable
19th of April, 1775, but he was also the first to shed British blood in
that engagement. He was also the first to bring the intelligence into Lexington
that a number of British officers were on their way thither from Boston;
and when the officers reached Lexington he was one of those who volunteered
to follow them and watch their movements, and was taken prisoner by them,
together with his companions, Thaddeus HARRINGTON and Elijah SANDERSON,
though they were detained but a few hours. Solomon was in the army five
years, and held the office of sergeant. He was also appointed "conductor
of supplies" at Fort Schuyler, now Utica, N. Y. After leaving the army
he remained in Nine Partners, N. Y., two years, then came to this town
in 1787, as previously mentioned. Mr. BROWN was twice married and had a
family of seventeen children. Honored and respected, he died at a ripe
old age, one of the true, tried spirits that made our country what it is.
The GRINNELL family was among the early settlers coming from Salisbury,
Conn., and settling on land opposite the SPRAGUES, and north of the Andrew
SQUIER land, on Lanesboro street. There were among the children of this
GRINNELL family two sons, who lived and died in the two houses (for many
years, and now, the home of Elisha H. and his son Mills LANDON). Myron
GRINNELL was a highly esteemed citizen. His son, Josiah B., was born December
22, 1821; he left home at the age of eighteen years, made his way to Oneida
Institute, graduated there, and then prepared for entering into the ministry;
was first pastor over a church in Union Village, Greenwich, N. Y. His very
decided anti-slavery views led him to leave all else and seek for funds
among the willing-hearted philanthropists of Massachusetts for the purpose
of founding in Washington, D. C., a Congregational Church. In this he succeeded.
He then took a pastorate in New York city, marrying meantime a Miss CHAPIN,
of Springfield, Mass., whose father had been a benefactor to the Washington
church enterprise, and dying soon after left landed property in the slave
State of Missouri. It became Mr. GRINNELL's duty to go there and see about
it, and this led to his making a change to the new State of Iowa In 1855.
Falling in, while an this journey, with the men who were then locating
the Central Pacific Railroad, they made known to him where would be important
points, and from the light so given he decided to form a settlement, by
returning East and choosing from among former friends; and it soon came
to pass that the town of Grinnell was not only a settlement, but the seat
of an institution bearing the name of Iowa College, which not only lived,
but is doing faithful work to this day. Walter GRINNELL, a brother of Myron,
having died, his son Levi and his family were among those who sold their
homes in New Haven and removed to the then infant town of Grinnell. After
going to Iowa Mr. Josiah B. GRINNELL was interested in farming also, and
became one of the most extensive woolgrowers of that State. He was a member
of the State Senate for four years, a special agent of the general post-office
for two years, and was elected a representative from Iowa to Congress;
was re-elected to the Thirty-ninth Congress. In June, 1866, L. H. ROUSSEAU,
a fellow member, made a personal assault upon him for words spoken in debate,
which resulted in a resolution, which was passed, reprimanding the assailant
for "violating the rights and privileges of the House of Representatives."
Captain Matthew PHELPS came to this town from Connecticut and kept
the village hotel. He was quite celebrated as an adventurer, and his memoir
was published by Anthony HASWELL, of Bennington, in 1802, and had a large
circulation. Major Matthew PHELPS, jr., son of Captain Matthew, was a man
of great promise. He was one of the earliest graduates from Middlebury
College. In 1811 he was elected to the Legislature, and in 1810-11 was
one of the County Court judges. He died while in the War of 1812. Atlantic
Luman PHELPS, son of Matthew PHELPS, jr., was born in New Haven July 17,
1805. Loyal C. PHELPS, born January 16, 1807, a son of Major Matthew, was
a native of New Haven. He married Jannette COOK January 1, 1839, and was
one of the families who were especially invited to share in the making
of the town of Grinnell, and they are still living there.
Augustus TRIPP came from Lanesboro, Mass., in 1781, and settled
on the farm recently owned by Henry C. ROSCOE. He has no direct descendants
in town at the present time. He was succeeded on the farm by his son, Deacon
Ansel TRIPP, for many years deacon of the Congregational Church, and who
died over twenty-six years ago aged seventy-seven years. He left two sons,
A. F. TRIPP, of Buffalo, N. Y., and Sheriff Isaac M., who was many years
Constable in this town, where he married the youngest daughter of the Rev.
Ova HOYT. Then moving to Middlebury, he was from 1867 to 1878 sheriff of
Addison county. He has now removed to Milwaukee, Wis., and is engaged in
Eseck SPRAGUE, from Lanesboro, Mass., located upon the farm until
recently owned by George D. HINMAN. In 1787 Mr. SPRAGUE came in the winter,
his wife coming the following March, making her way on horseback with an
infant only six weeks old, who afterward became the mother of E. D. HALL.
Here Mr. SPRAGUE spent his life in clearing the farm, dying of cancer in
1824. His son Horace, born October 29, 1793, occupied the farm until his
death, December 30, 1871. Mrs. SPRAGUE was a sister of Lemuel ELDREDGE;
she died in 1885, being nearly ninety-five years old.
Austin HICKOCK was born in Granville, Mass., January 3, 1773, and
in 1800 located on the farm now owned by Andrew J. MASON. His first wife
was Mary HINMAN, of Lanesboro, Mass., by whom he had four children. His
second wife was Roxana COOK, of New Haven, by whom he had four children.
Of these children Elias B. remained on the old homestead for some time,
but is now living on the place formerly owned by his wife's father, Calvin
SPRAGUE. Another son, Milo Judson, was graduated at Middlebury College
in 1835 and at Union Theological Seminary, N. Y., in 1841; was pastor at
Marietta, O., 1841-44, and at Rochester, N. Y., 1845-50. His last pastorate
was at Scranton, Pa. His brother, Henry F., graduated at Rochester University,
N. Y., and Princeton Seminary, N. J. His first pastorate was at Sandy Hill,
N. Y., where he remained two years; he then located at Orange, N. J., where
he has remained up to the present time, with the exception of two years
spent at Auburn, N. Y. Julius S. HICKOCK, son of Charles B., lives in Vergennes.
John HINMAN settled in 1783 on the farm owned by James WILSON; married
Sarah RUBLEE February 3, 1799. He came originally from Pittsfield, Mass.,
and later from Benson, Vt. He was the father of Erastus S. HINMAN and Orrin,
father of G. D. HINMAN and two other brothers. About thirty years ago E.
S. HINMAN bought of Mr. JACOBS the farm where he subsequently lived and
died. He was prominent in social, religious, and educational matters at
all times; he was for many years a magistrate and town official, and in
1854-55 was one of the judges of the County Court. He died July 21, 1885.
His first wife, Caroline REYNOLDS, died March 22, 1854, leaving one daughter,
Harriet, who recently married Deacon John C. WILDER, who now owns and occupies
the farm. Judge HINMAN's second wife, Miss Amanda SAMSON, of Cornwall,
died December 6, 1885, leaving a daughter, Alice. Orrin HINMAN, son of
John, married Theda MOORE December 18, 1831. Their son, George D., married
Helen SPRAGUE, and lived for many years at the old family homestead of
Horace SPRAGUE. They now reside at the Barton Cottage, at the Center. William
D., son of Orrin, lives on the Bristol road, and is a dealer in fine horses.
The road running north from the village and locally known as Lanesboro
street, was settled first from 1781 to 1792, by families chiefly from Lanesboro,
Mass., which gave the street its name. Among them were Ezra HOYT, sr.,
Seth HOYT, William SEYMOUR, Matthew PHELPS, George SMITH, Andrew SQUIER,
and Seymour HOYT. The names of these men appear frequently in the earlier
records of the town as office-holders.
Hon. Ezra HOYT, the son of Ezra and Sarah (SEYMOUR) HOYT, was born
October 16, 1770, in Lanesboro, Mass. In the latter part of the last century
there was a general movement in that part of Massachusetts to emigrate
to the new and rich lands of Vermont, which had just been admitted to the
Union. Among the HOYTs there was no one of more ability or influence than
the subject of this notice. He had married Sarah SMITH, of Lanesboro, February
28, 1790. They removed to New Haven two years afterward. The town had been
organized only five years and the number of inhabitants was small. Mr.
HOYT was able to secure large quantities of land and thus laid the foundation
of an ample fortune, owning at one time about sixteen hundred acres. His
home was on the spot now occupied by the parsonage of the Congregational
Church, which was erected by him in the early part of this century. He
is spoken of by old residents as a man of fine presence, with the manners
of a gentleman of the old school. His home was an attractive and hospitable
one, and his circle of friends was large. He was sent to the Legislature
of Vermont as a representative from New Haven nine times. He was also a
member of the Governor's Council in 1828, '29, and '30. He was elected
judge of the Addison County Court in 1813, and re-elected to that office
for five successive years, and was again elected in 1823. In 1824 the Probate
District of New Haven was established by dividing the district of Addison,
and judge HOYT was the first judge elected, retiring from that office in
1829. Judge HOYT was especially fortunate in his domestic life. His first
wife, who died in New Haven April 11, 1798, was the mother of three children
-- Laura, who became the wife of Colonel Eseck SPRAGUE, late of Constable,
N. Y.; Otto SMITH, who was a graduate of Middlebury College and Princeton
Seminary; was an honored and useful minister of Christ for more than forty
years; and Sarah Jane, who died in infancy. He married as his second wife,
Jerusha, daughter of Captain Matthew PHELPS, by whom he had six children.
Ova PHELPS, the eldest, was graduated at Middlebury College and Andover
Seminary; was settled in Cambridge, N. Y., and Kalamazoo, Mich. The next
was Sarah, who became the wife of Hon. Stephen BYINGTON, of Hinesburg;
the next daughter, Charlotte, married Elisha H. LANDON, of New Haven, and
he is the only survivor of the large family circle. The next was Rhoda,
wife of the late Rev. R. C. HAND, of Brooklyn, N. Y.; the next was Ezra
M., who was prepared for college, but was obliged to leave his studies
by the failure of his health, and died in middle life at his home in New
Haven. He married Charlotte, daughter of Judge Elias BOTTUM. The youngest
son, George, died while a student in Middlebury College. The influence
of the home life is indicated by the fact that Judge HOYT gave to all of
his children the best education which the times enabled him to do. His
house was a favorite resort for men of education and intelligence. He had
a large circle of political friends, and his influence extended over the
State. He was a friend of and habitual attendant at church, and contributed
generously to its support. He was the firm friend of Rev. Josiah HOPKINS,
D.D., who was his pastor for twenty-one years. Middlebury College owes
much to his influence and active support. He died in New Haven after a
long illness, August 5, 1881, in his sixty-first year.
Jonathan HOYT, Jr., born at Norwalk, Conn., May 7, 1775, removed
to New Haven in March, 1802, and first lived in a small house that stood
at that time a little north of the present Alvin SQUIER place. He then
removed to a place on Beech Hill, just south of the Solomon BROWN farm,
where to-day are standing locust trees, before what is called the old ENO
place. His home was there the first few years, the eldest of his children
going to school there. The father of the ENOs had begun a home on the Lanesboro
street corner, a two-story farm house, unfinished at the time of his death;
this house and the land around it Jno. HOYT bought, and the ENO family
removed to Beech Hill. Jonathan HOYT, Jr., was first a deputy sheriff,
and then high sheriff of the county in 181l-15-18. He was for a long time
magistrate, for seventeen years town clerk, and in the Legislature in 1809
and 1810. He was surveyor of highways throughout the county, laying out
roads, drawing deeds, making out all sorts of public papers, and settling
many estates; at the same time he kept well going the farming interest.
He was somewhat peculiar in his character, but was an energetic and influential
citizen. He died at his home April 5, 1867. He married Chloe LANDON; she
was the mother of three children -- Lucius, Delia (who is the wife of Judge
Tolman WHEELER, of Chicago), and Eliza, who married Lewis MEACHAM. His
father, Jonathan HOYT, a soldier of the Revolution, removed to town several
years later than his son. Lucius settled at Niles, Mich., where he died
at the age of forty years. His son, Jonathan Mills, was born at Niles,
Mich., July 24, 1836. He served as lieutenant during the last war, and
was a popular and efficient officer. He was on Governor PECK's staff in
1874-75, and was town clerk in New Haven at the time of his death. He was
married October 8, 1862, to Julia C., daughter of Royal and Minerva (MOORE)
WHEELER. He died at the old home of his grandfather January 29, 1877. His
widow died at the home of her father and aunt, Mrs. Elam R. JEWETT, of
Buffalo, N. Y., March, 1885, and was buried by the side of her husband.
Lewis MEACHAM, brother of Congressman James MEACHAM, was born in
Rutland, and removed to New Haven in 1845. He married Eliza, daughter of
Jonathan HOYT, Jr., in 1842. Mr. MEACHAM became a leading citizen; was
elected to the Legislature in 1856-57, and senator from the county in 1864
and '65. He was a genial and popular gentleman. He died suddenly, while
on a visit to Chicago, June 16, 1868. Not long before his death he made
an extended tour through Europe. His widow still resides in the home of
Tolman WHEELER, son of Preserved WHEELER and grandson of Peter,
who was killed at the time of the Indian massacre at Wyoming, Pa., studied
the medical profession, receiving his diploma at Burlington, and commenced
practice in Canada. He was married in September, 1830, to Delia, daughter
of Jonathan and Chloe (LANDON) HOYT. He removed to Niles, Mich., in 1832;
remained there engaged in mercantile business and real estate in that vicinity
until 1859, when be removed to Chicago, where, as judge WHEELER, he is
well known. His father, Preserved WHEELER, came to this town in 1781 and
located upon the farm now owned by Alexis T. SMITH. His son Orson, born
here in 1799, was a resident until the time of his death in 1867. His son
Henry, a grandson of Preserved, is still a resident on East street.
Deacon David SMITH was born at Lanesboro, Mass., in 1788; came to
New Haven in 1797 and located on the farm now owned by Charles W. MASON,
known more recently as the Jonathan SMITH place. He married three wives
and reared eight children. Of these Jonathan became a farmer and carried
on his father's farm until his death; Otis graduated at Middlebury College
in 1824; fitted for the ministry with Rev. Josiah HOPKINS, D.D. He was
pastor many years, at LaGrange, Ga., of a Baptist church, and was president
of Mercer University. Oliver located on the farm once owned by Thaddeus
HOYT, in New Haven Gore; married Adaline DOUD, March 24, 1830, and reared
six children; of these Otis D. graduated from the University of Vermont;
has taught many years in Georgia, and is now professor of mathematics in
Auburn Agricultural and Mathematical College, Auburn, Ala. Oliver SMITH
has been many years a magistrate; was a member of the Legislature in 1843
and 1844, and one of the county judges in 1862-63. He removed from his
farm to the village about seven years ago.
Amos PALMER, from Dutchess county, N. Y., in 1781 located upon the
farm owned by Alexis T. SMITH. His son Caleb came here in 1787; died in
1884 at the age of ninety-seven, and was the oldest man in town. He was
then living with his son, Joseph Palmer, near James WILSON's. Henry C.
PALMER, son of Caleb, has for many years conducted a wheelwright shop at
the village. He owns and occupies the old Lavius FILLMORE property at the
Hezekiah SMITH came to Monkton in 1780 from Bennington, Vt. The
eldest of his twelve children was Dr. Horatio A. SMITH, who came to New
Haven village about 1830, and resided there until his death, which occurred
suddenly March 4, 1862. His daughter Sarah married Hon. R. B. LANGDON;
his son, Henry B. SMITH, married Jane V. LANGDON; both are living in Minneapolis,
Minn. Their mother's name was Sarah BELL. Dr. SMITH's home was where James
HINMAN now resides.
Andrew SQUIER and his wife Huldah (BRONSON) SQUIER, of Woodbury,
Conn., came to Lanesboro, Mass,, in 1779. They had five sons, Timothy,
Andrew, Wait, Ebenezer, and Amos. Of these Timothy, Andrew, and Wait removed
to Vermont. In 1852 they were all living, and it is said were all in attendance
about this time at church in New Haven. They all sat in one pew, were all
over six feet in height, and all over eighty years of age, Timothy being
ninety-three. Timothy located in Orwell and died there in 1855 at the age
of ninety-six. Andrew came to New Haven about 1790, and located just south
of where E. H. LANDON now lives. As early as 1793 we find him taking an
active interest in the town affairs and serving as one of the selectmen.
A few years later he co-operated most earnestly with judge HOYT in securing
the erection of the Congregational meeting-house. He sold his large farm
January 3, 1831, to his son, Alvin SQUIER, and built the house now owned
by Socrates PALMER on the Bristol road, and lived there until his death
in 1855. Alvin, born February 7, 1799, and Diadama, widow of judge BOTTUM,
born in 1791, are the only ones left of Andrew SQUIER's family in town.
Alvin studied medicine with Dr. LORD, of Cornwall, and at twenty-two years
of age went to Madrid, N. Y., where he was a practicing physician seven
years. He then returned to New Haven and devoted himself to agricultural
pursuits, soon after building and occupying the house where A. C. SQUIER
now lives. He married, while at Madrid, Sarah HALLOCK, who died in 1885.
In 1860 he built the elegant house where he has since resided, his son,
E. HALLOCK, remaining on the farm. He has held various town offices. His
wife was Elizabeth S. SKINNER, of Palmyra, N. Y., to whom he was married
May 11, 1856. In 1883 he built a new and handsome cottage just south of
his prior residence, and has since lived there. His son, Charles F., is
in the mercantile business, as elsewhere noted. Andrew G. SQUIER, son of
Alvin, located a mile east of the village on the William WHEELER farm.
He has been an active farmer and has devoted his attention specially to
the raising of fine horses, and has been a successful breeder. His son,
Dr. Willie SQUIER, is a popular physician at Green Bay, Wis. Dr. Lucius
A. SQUIER, son of Alvin, was graduated at Middlebury College, and located
in Wisconsin. His brother, Argalus L., enlisted in 1861, and died in the
camp of the Vermont Brigade near Washington, in December of that year,
of malarial fever. Charlotte B., daughter of Alvin, has for many years
resided with her father.
Elias BOTTUM, son of Simon and Elizabeth (HAUTINGTON) BOTTUM, was
born at Shaftsbury, Vt., February 3, 1790, and came to New Haven in 1809,
locating on the farm thereafter occupied by him. Judge BOTTUM married Diadama
SQUIER December 5, 1811, who is still living, at the age of ninety-six
years. Children of this union were Mary Ann, who was married to Julius
SPRAGUE January 3, 1838; Charlotte, and Caroline, whose husbands' names
are elsewhere given. The only son was Elias SIMON. He was a member of the
Legislature in 1822 and 1829; senator from Addison county in 1840, '41,
and assistant judge of the County Court in 1847, '48. It has been stated
that he and his associate, George CHIPMAN, once overruled the supreme judge
who sat with them, on a question of law in the trial of a case; the appeal
was taken to the Supreme Court, which affirmed the decision made by Judge
BOTTUM and his colleague. Judge BOTTUM's death occurred in 1865. Elias
Simon BOTTUM, was born in 1821, and located on a portion of his father's
farm; was deacon in the Congregational Church, often a town officer, and
a member of the Legislature in 1872. His wife, Mary HOYT, was the daughter
of Rev. Otto S. HOYT. He died of heart disease in 1877, leaving six children.
Of these Elias H. graduated at Middlebury College in 1871 and afterward
at Columbia Law School, Washington, D. C. He is now a successful practitioner
at Milwaukee, Wis. Fordyce H. is an undergraduate at Harvard College, while
Julius O. is managing a portion of the farm so long occupied by the family.
Carrie was married to Professor HALL, of Harvard College. The youngest
daughter, Lottie, is at the New England Conservatory of Music.
Martin CRANE emigrated to this town from Salisbury, Conn., in 1781.
He was succeeded upon the same place by his son, Belden CRANE, who was
killed a few years since by being thrown from a load of beans. He was followed
by H. S. SMITH, who married a niece of CRANE; and the farm was then sold
to Theron M. STURTEVANT, who still resides there.
Alfred P. ROSCOE, for many years a prosperous merchant at New Haven
village, was also a leading citizen in many other respects. He held the
office of town clerk for many years, and in 1841-42 and 1848 represented
the town in the Legislature. He died November 27, 1873. Alfred Mortimer,
son of Alfred P., was for several years town clerk and postmaster, and
beside holding other offices was a member of the Legislature in 1876. He
died February 8, 1885. Alfred M. married Mrs. Orra (BINGHAM) Roscoe, about
1864; have had five children. Henry C. ROSCOE, son of Alfred P., was several
years post master, and held other offices in town. He was elected to the
Legislature in 1882. He married Jennie, daughter of Dr. E. D. HALL, for
his second wife. Alfred P. ROSCOE, son of A. M. ROSCOE, has held the office
of postmaster since his father's death.
Richard HALL settled in town at an early date; he was from Mansfield,
Conn., and lived first on the farm now owned by Almond FARNSWORTH; a few
years later he moved to the farm now owned by Henry R. BARROWS. Adin HALL,
son of Richard, came here, having studied medicine with Dr. William BASS,
of Middlebury, and was for a long period an active and successful physician
in New Haven. He was also prominent in public affairs; was elected to the
Legislature in 1833, '34 and '35, and was judge of probate from 1833 to
'35. His son, Dr. E. D. HALL, was born in New Haven in 1817. He studied
medicine with his father and at the Castleton Medical College, where he
graduated in 1842. He practiced first in St. Alban's Bay for five years;
then at Vergennes one year, since which time he has been in New Haven.
Elisha H. LANDON was born in Salisbury, Conn., in 1800, and when
twenty-one years old came to New Haven. He followed mercantile pursuits
for several years, and finally settled on the Myron GRINNELL farm, where
he now resides; married Charlotte HOYT July 12, 1825. Children: Charlotte,
who married a Mr. SHAFFER; Mary Ann, who married Dr. E. D. HALL, of this
town; Ezra, who lives at Vergennes; William, who died some years since;
Mills J., and Kate, who was Henry C. ROSCOE's first wife. His first wife
died March 4, 1864. He married Mrs. Sophronia WALKER in 1866, and enjoys
a hearty old age. He has done an insurance business for forty years. Mills
J. succeeds his father in farming and in insurance business; has held several
town offices, and is now a magistrate. He married Harriet, daughter of
Deacon Oliver DEXTER, who spent the latter part of a useful life in this
town, where he came from Weybridge, locating on the east side of New Haven
street, opposite the park; he died in 1883 and his wife in 1885. A daughter
still lives in the home. Dr. E. F. PRESTON, who resides in a part of the
house, was born in Burlington March 4, 1857. He studied medicine in the
University of Vermont and was graduated in 1884. He was married to Cora
A., youngest daughter of the late Truman and Juliette HOLLEY, of Cornwall,
Vt., June 17, 1885. He is superintendent of common schools, and has been
practicing medicine in town since he graduated.
Jeremiah and Ruth COOK were early settlers, and were married in
1790. Of their seven children the two youngest remained in town on the
original homestead. Gustavus was born April 13, 1807; Celestia, July 26,
1806. The former married a Miss FITCH, and they had two daughters--Ruth,
who married Charles E., son of Samuel S. WRIGHT, now resides at the Street,
on one of the HOYT homesteads; her husband died suddenly; Mary L. married
Harry W. BINGHAM, of West Cornwall, where she resides. Mr. COOK married
for his second wife Hila, daughter of Jeremiah LEE, of Bridport, who, with
one daughter, survives him; they are now residents of Middlebury. Major
COOK died in the spring of 1874, His only son, Charles B., died soon after
at the age of twenty-seven years. This farm was sold soon after to William
D. LANE, of Cornwall, who was a florist and seedsman. He now resides in
Middlebury, and the farm is owned by Fred HAMMOND and Norman C. BROOKS.
The COOK mansion was burned about six years since.
Thomas DICKINSON, a Revolutionary soldier, came to New Haven in
1785, locating near the falls at Brooksville, where he built the first
saw-mill on that site.
Lemuel B. ELDREDGE was born in Mansfield, Tolland county, Conn.,
July 19, 1777. The family were of Scotch descent, the great-grandfather
of Lemuel having emigrated to Rhode Island at an early day, and thence
his grandfather removed to Connecticut. Deacon Lemuel ELDREDGE and his
son, Lemuel B., came to Vermont in 1798, locating upon the farm now in
the possession of Julius L. ELDREDGE, of New Haven, son of Lemuel B., the
latter preceding his father's arrival a few months. But upon the arrival
of his father, Lemuel B. moved to another part of the town, where, for
several years and until his father's death, he resided on a farm near New
Haven East Mills. After the death of his father, Lemuel B. sold his farm
and removed to his late father's homestead, where he resided until his
death, January 10, 1864, in the eighty-seventh year of his age. Mr. Eldredge
was married to Martha THALL, of Mansfield, Conn., in 1798, just before
their removal to Vermont. Fourteen children were born to them, of whom
four sons and four daughters arrived at maturity, two only of whom are
now living, Deacon Julius L. ELDREDGE, of Middlebury, and A. W. ELDREDGE,
of Colton, St. Lawrence county, N. Y. Mrs. ELDREDGE survived her husband's
death until August, 1869, dying at the age of ninety-three, years. In July,
1830, continued and heavy rains swelled the sources of New Haven River
until the latter became a torrent of devastation. Buildings, bridges, crops,
and stock were swept to destruction. Mr. ELDREDGE wrote and published an
account of the flood soon after, in which he described many incidents with
thrilling power and pathos. He, with his son and others, were surrounded
by the rapidly-rising waters, while they were attempting the rescue of
two families who lived near the stream. So suddenly did the waters rise,
and with such impetuosity did they rush, that the houses and barns containing
the doomed people were torn from their foundations in a few minutes, and
all were swept down by the angry torrent, but few escaping. ELDREDGE was
on a hastily-constructed raft with his son and a few others. He and one
other escaped. There were twenty-one persons on the surrounded space when
the waters reached them. Of this number, seven of a family named Stewart,
five of another named Wilson, Mr. ELDREDGE's son Loyal, and Peter SUMMERS
In an interview with the venerable Julius L. ELDREDGE, whose name
has been mentioned among the early settlements, he gives his recollections
of the region of Brooksville as far back as 1815. There was then a trip-hammer
shop, where scythes, hoes, and other tools were made. Near by was a "pocket
furnace," run by a Mr. AIKEN. Just above, on the same side of the stream,
was a wagon shop, carried on by Mr. FITCH. On the other side, beginning
at the bridge, was the saw-mill of Alfred STOWELL, the clothier's shop
and carding machine of Gideon M. FISK; next below, a wagon shop and fanning-mill
factory by Horace SMITH; farther down was the saw-mill of John WILSON,
and still farther another "pocket furnace," also run by WILSON; then came
the wooden-clock shop of Russell RICHARDS and a blacksmith shop by Joshua
SCOTT, and the oil-mill owned by Aaron HASKINS. All, or nearly all, of
this manufacturing property was swept away by the flood of 1830.
After the flood William WILSON, brother of John, built a saw-mill,
which has been taken down; on the opposite side of the stream he also had
a triphammer shop, and Julius and Bela ELDREDGE built a saw-mill; this
mill was about on the site of the present shops of Norman C. BROOKS. On
the site of the finishing shop of Mr. BROOKS, Amos WELLER built a grist-mill,
which was subsequently burned. In 1883 Frank B. BROOKS built a store at
Brooksville, which was carried on by Norman C. BROOKS, but has recently
passed to the hands of W. W. WARREN. Barzillai BROOKS came to Brooksville
some forty years ago with his four sons, and since that time they have
been the life of the little hamlet. An axe and tool factory was built by
Edward, MILTON, and McDonough BROOKS, for whom Norman C., the younger,
then worked. The elder BROOKS was an experienced steel worker, and tempered
the tools so successfully as to give them an excellent reputation. The
axe factory was entirely destroyed by fire in 1881, but was rebuilt by
Norman C. BROOKS.
Deacon Julius L. ELDREDGE married Polly COWLES, sister of Martin
COWLES, and lived on his father's farm in Brooksville until within a few
years, when he went to live with his son, Loyal D. ELDREDGE, in Middlebury.
He represented his town in the Legislature in 1850-51. His son Loyal D.
graduated at Middlebury College, and entered the legal profession. He was
for many years a partner of ex-Governor John W. STEWART. He was a member
of the Vermont Senate in 1876.
Isaac GIBBS, who resides on the farm originally occupied by Josiah
COWLES, and later by Henry, son of Martin COWLES, was born in Middlebury
in 1802, where he resided until sixty-two years of age. He remembers hearing
the first Methodist sermon ever preached in that town, by Rev. Mr. GIRDLEY.
He, being required to preach a sermon before they would grant him a license,
took for his text, "By the lips of Pharaoh ye are all spies."
Loren RICHARDS, of Cornwall, bought in 1863 of William H. DUNTON
the place long owned and occupied by John CRANE, three-fourths of a mile
north of Brooksville. Mr. RICHARDS has always devoted much attention to
the breeding of Merino sheep.
Seth LANGDON came from Framingham, Mass., in 1782, settling upon
the farm now owned by Charles PECK. As early as 1791 he was one of the
selectmen. He died in December, 1851, at the age of ninety-two years. Seth
LANGDON, jr., was born on the homestead July 7, 1799. He married Laura,
daughter of Wait SQUIER, and reared a large family. He was for several
years constable, and held various other offices, and in 1845 and '46 was
chosen to the Legislature. He died in 1881.
David, Giles, Joel, Silas, and Isaac DOUD were five brothers who
came from Terringham, Mass., the latter part of the last century and settled
on Town Hill. Of the descendants of the five brothers only those of Silas
remain in town.
Harry W. CARTER, of Monkton, bought the Osmond DOUD farm of two
hundred and twelve acres, which he successfully manages in connection with
his son-in-law, George S. RUSSELL, who married his only daughter.
Moses STOWE was born in Massachusetts in 1796. He purchased the
frontage of the farm upon which Loyal W. STOWE and E. A. DOUD now reside.
He was twice married, rearing a large family, of whom his son Loyal W.
only remains in town. Moses STOWE died in 1849.
Mahlon L. TAYLOR built the house now owned by James H. MACK, who
is a speculator, dealing in live stock. The place was owned for several
years by Mr. FOSTER, father of Mrs. Harry LANGDON, late of New Haven. The
farm for so many years occupied by Eleazer TAYLOR is now owned by Charles
H. WICKER, whose wife was Miss Mary CHAMPLIN. Their oldest son, George,
died there January 15, 1885, leaving a wife and four daughters. The oldest
daughter, Lou, married Silas D. DOUD, who lives with his father, Sylvester,
at the foot of Town Hill. Eliza, the second daughter, married Charles ROGERS,
and lives at the Center, in the house so long the home of Dr. George B.
SANBORN (now a homeopathic physician of Rutland). The son, Charles G. WICKER,
is engaged in the lumber business in Hastings, Neb. The youngest daughter,
Abbie, lives at home. Mrs. WICKER died the 6th of March, 1886.
Nathan BARTON came from Litchfield, Conn., with his father in 1770,
and settled on the farm now occupied by his grandson, George W. BARTON.
He was a surveyor, and was often called upon to survey plots of land, roads,
and pitches. He was at different times selectman. His son, Walter BARTON,
occupied the same farm more than seventy years, and was succeeded by his
son, George W. BARTON, who has held several of the principal offices of
Wait SQUIER came to Cornwall in July, 1788, built a log blacksmith
shop, cleared several acres of land and sowed to wheat, and returned to
Massachusetts in the fall. In 1789 he pursued a similar course. In 1790
he married Hannah POWELL, of Lanesboro, and came to Cornwall and took up
his residence, and remained there four years. In 1794 he removed to New
Haven and bought the farm now owned by Edward S. DANA, and somewhat later
built the handsome and commodious residence which was destroyed by fire
in 1865. About 1830 he sold his farm to his son Calvin, and built the house
and store on the corner at the village, now owned by Caroline EATON, where
he resided until his death, January 9, 1858, aged ninety-one years. He
had three sons and four daughters, who reached maturity --Wait, jr., Calvin,
Miles P., Laura, Lorinda, Aurelia, and Huldana. Laura and Lorinda married
and lived in town, as elsewhere stated. Huldana married William G. HENRY,
of Bennington, who removed to Grand Rapids, Mich., and afterward to Detroit,
and she died in 1880. Her daughter is the wife of General R. A. ALGER,
the present governor of Michigan. Aurelia married P. M. HENRY, of Bennington,
a prominent citizen of that town, who about 1865 removed to Geneva, N.
Y., where they still reside. Miles P. SQUIER, D. D., was graduated at Middlebury
College and entered the ministry. He was a pioneer preacher in western
New York, held services in a barn in a settlement which has since enlarged
to be the city of Buffalo, and did missionary work in various other places;
was for many years professor in Beloit College, Wisconsin, where he endowed
a chair in mental and moral philosophy, and finally located in Geneva,
N. Y., where he died in 1866. He was an able and scholarly writer, and
the author of several religious works. Wait, jr., removed to Michigan and
established a colony at a place which took the name of Vermontville. Calvin
SQUIER, who was born April 4, 1795, and always resided on the farm where
he was born, was a highly respected citizen, a man who took great interest
in social, religious, and educational matters, and lent his influence and
used his means to strengthen and uphold whatever would tend to benefit
and improve society. He was for many years a magistrate, and deacon of
the Congregational Church. He died May 6, 1880, having reared a large family,
but three of whom survive -- Mary, widow of Edward S. DANA; Martha, wife
of D. M. HILL, of Pasadena, Cal., and David HENRY, who lives on Town Hill.
Another son, George W., graduated at Middlebury College in 1858, and was
preparing for professional life, but died suddenly in 1864.
Edward S. DANA purchased the farm of Calvin SQUIER in the spring
of 1877. He was born at Cornwall April 27, 1834, and was the son of Austin
DANA, who was for forty years a prominent citizen, farmer, and town officer
of Cornwall, and who died in 1870. His mother was Susan (GALE) DANA, daughter
of General Somers GALE, of Cornwall, who was a prominent military man in
the early part of the century, and served as major under General STRONG
at the battle of Plattsburgh in 1814, in command of the Vermont volunteers.
Mr. DANA married a daughter of Deacon Calvin SQUIER September 11, 1861,
and for ten years thereafter held official position at Washington, D. C.,
as clerk and examiner-in-chief in the U. S. Pension Office, and as assistant
clerk of the U. S. House of Representatives. Returning to Cornwall in 1871,
he held the office of selectman four years, and other town offices, and
in 1874 was elected to the Legislature, removing to New Haven in 1877.
In 1880 he was elected to the Vermont Senate. He has been for several years
president of the board of trustees of Beeman Academy, and in 1885 was appointed
town clerk. He has been frequently called upon to preside over public meetings,
having been twelve times elected moderator of town meetings and often chosen
chairman of political assemblages. He devoted considerable attention to
literary matters, and had the largest private library in the county. [Mr.
Dana had nearly finished the history of New Haven for this work, when he
was called from earth on the 24th of February, 1886.]
David Henry SQUIER, son of Calvin, married in 1859 Anna LOOMIS of
Champlain, N. Y., and resided there for several years. In 1865 he purchased
of Dr. G. R. SANBORN the place where he now lives. He has held various
town offices, and is at present one of the selectmen.
Within the extended and somewhat diversified area of territory lying
between the railroad and Otter Creek, and which has to a considerable degree
become isolated from the rest of the town in its business, religious, and
social relations, the WRIGHTs have long been important factors. Samuel
S. WRIGHT is a magistrate and first selectman, and owns 600 acres of land.
Daniel H. WRIGHT owns 300 acres, and Caleb WRIGHT 220 acres. These large
farms are prudently and carefully managed, making excellent returns to
their owners. Daniel WRIGHT, was born in New Marlboro, Mass., February
4, 1780. He was the third son of Ebenezer WRIGHT, who was born in Northampton,
Mass., in 1752. He married Rebecca STANNARD, and she became the mother
of fourteen children, twelve of whom lived to be more than forty years
old. In 1784 Ebenezer WRIGHT came with his family -- then comprising the
wife and five children -- to Weybridge, Vt., and located on the farm now
occupied by Edwin S. WRIGHT, where they resided during life. She died in
1794 and he in 1832, and both were buried on the farm in Weybridge. Daniel
spent his minority at home and in the adjoining town of Addison, except
a year, more or less, passed with his grandfather, Caleb WRIGHT, at Amenia,
Dutchess county, N. Y. March 25, 1802, he was married to Bathsheba FROST,
of Cornwall, Vt. She was born in Williamstown, Mass., May 18, 1781. They
commenced business life together in 1802 on a small farm lying between
the farm of his father and that of the late Samuel CHILD. He cleared the
land and built the first dwelling house thereon, and the same is still
standing. He lived on that place five years, then purchased of Dr. Benjamin
BULLARD the farm on the west side of the river near the "Reef bridge" in
Weybridge, and occupied the same until 1820, when he removed to New Haven
and purchased the farm where S. S. WRIGHT now resides, and occupied it
until his death, September 11, 1866. He was at the battle of Plattsburgh,
in Captain Silas WRIGHT's company, and died fifty-two years from that historic
day. His wife survived him, and died in October, 1869. He was a man of
more than ordinary native ability, but the lack of an early education prevented
the development of his real mental strength. He was a successful farmer
and financier, and left a competency to his family. He was noted for his
liberality toward educational and benevolent institutions, especially in
aiding and building up the Baptist and Methodist Church edifices in his
neighborhood, and also the Congregational Church in Weybridge, of which
he was a lifelong member.
His family consisted of seven sons and one daughter, the latter
becoming the wife of John CHILD, late of Weybridge, and dying in that town
in July, 1843, aged thirty-five years. One of the sons died in infancy,
the others are still living. The eldest, Alanson L., born August 4, 1803,
married Delight HASTINGS, of Greenfield, Mass., spent a few years on the
farm on the river in Weybridge, and in 1835 purchased a valuable farm in
St. Albans, Vt., and became a wealthy farmer; he subsequently sold the
farm and made a home in the adjoining town of Swanton, where he now resides.
Daniel H., born August 9, 1805, married Betsey CALKINS, of Waltham, March
14, 1827. Caleb WRIGHT, born February 13, 1810, married Harriet ROCKWOOD,
of Bristol, November 1, 1831. Samuel S., born December 4, 1822, married
Wealthy E. WRIGHT February 2, 1841. All reside in New Haven, have reared
families, and all are prosperous farmers. Emerson R., born April 10, 1815,
was a graduate of Middlebury College in the class of 1838; he studied law
in the office of E. D. BARBER, was admitted to the bar of Addison county,
and practiced law several years; was postmaster in Middlebury during the
administration of James K. POLK, and again in that of Franklin PIERCE;
he married Clara A. POND, of Addison, January 1, 1845, and resides in Middlebury,
Vt. William Silas, born January 6, 1819, married Lucy C. PHILLIPS, of Pittsford,
Vt., resided with his parents at the homestead until the decease of his
father in 1866, when he purchased a farm in Waltham, Vt., where he now
resides. He was representative from Waltham in the General Assembly in
1874 and '75, and at the present time is one of the associate judges of
Addison County Court, by appointment of the governor.
Ezra C. SMITH, son-in-law of D. H. WRIGHT, lives near him, but formerly
lived at New Haven Mills. He has filled various town offices, and was in
the Legislature of 1870.
Samuel CHALKER, from Saybrook, Conn., located in 1790 upon the farm
now owned by Elizabeth, Catharine, and Charlotte CHALKER. Daniel E. CHALKER,
his son, born there in 1801, died in 1863. The sisters above named successfully
manage the large farm of 440 acres.
Rev. Ward BULLARD, brother of Dr. Cullen BULLARD, was born in Weybridge
in 1810. He spent his earlier years on his father's farm in New Haven,
fitted for college and was graduated from Middlebury in 1834. He was licensed
to preach the gospel by a bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and
entered the Christian ministry about 1838. He was stationed at various
places in Vermont and New York, and labored with considerable success several
years; but the state of his health and other influences induced him to
suspend public labors, and he came back to New Haven, purchased a part
of the old homestead, and there spent twenty years or more of his life,
and died in 1880. He was a deep thinker and fine writer, and was often
called from his retirement to preach in the pulpits of neighboring towns.
He was superintendent of common schools several years, and represented
New Haven in the General Assembly in 1866 and '67. Dr. Cullen BULLARD was
born in Weybridge December 4, 1806. He was the eldest son of Dr. Benjamin
BULLARD, who came from Massachusetts and commenced the practice of medicine
in Weybridge and vicinity, probably about the year 1800. In 1807 he removed
to Massena, N. Y., but returned after a year's absence and located on a
farm bought of Enoch SPRAGUE in New Haven, a short distance north of the
Reef bridge, but continued the practice of his profession until his decease
in 1828. Dr. CULLEN, then a recent graduate of a medical college, immediately
commenced the business of his father, and was the leading physician in
the west part of New Haven and adjoining towns more than fifty years. He
was an excellent nurse, a skillful physician and surgeon. He died suddenly
of heart disease at the family homestead in New Haven January 2, 1882,
deeply lamented by a community which he had long, and faithfully served.
In politics Dr. BULLARD was a pronounced Democrat. Too generous in his
habits, he failed to accumulate a competency like many of his profession,
but made ample provision for his wife, who survives him.
Josiah CLARK, born in Lebanon, Windsor county, Vt., in 1757, came
to New Haven about 1790, locating on the "west side" upon the old homestead,
which has never since been owned outside of the CLARK family. The farm
was then a swamp, supposed to be a worthless tract of land; but which,
by perseverance, has been reclaimed, and is now a productive farm. Mr.
CLARK married Lucy BALL, had a family of three children, Joel T., Ira,
and Laura, and died June 17, 1835. Joel T. married Amy SPRAGUE and located
in Waltham, where he became a prominent man, while Ira remained on the
old homestead, and had four children who arrived at maturity, one of whom,
Norman, graduated from Middlebury College, and subsequently from the New
Hampton Theological Institute. One, Almon, afterward came into possession
of the old homestead, and was the father of three children, Huldah, Ira
W., and Edwin A., only one of whom, Ira W., now survives. The widow of
Almon still lives on the homestead.
Nathaniel H. FRENCH, of Trumbull, Conn., came to New Haven in 1789,
settling on the farm now owned by Charles W. MASON. He served through the
War of 1812 and died in 1851, aged ninety-two. His son Nathaniel died in
1885, aged eighty-four years, at the home of his son, William N. The latter
has been considerably interested in breeding Merino sheep, and recently
in rearing fine poultry, including the bronze turkey, which weighs from
twenty to thirty pounds when dressed. He married Mary DORSON, of Franklin.
James THOMPSON came from Salisbury, Conn., in 1794 and settled on
the farm now owned by Hiram WHEELER; a few years later he removed to the
brick house recently occupied by his son James, where he died in 1842;
James, jr., died in 1885. Hiram and Alfred THOMPSON of this family are
now residents of this town. Alfred J. lives on the place for many years
owned by Peleg FISHER, south part of the village, and married a sister
of Dr. E. F. PRESTON.
Ira WARD, a veteran of the War of 1812, and an early settler in
Waltham, came to town and located on the farm now owned by Hiram WHEELER
in 1820, where he remained until 1837, when he removed to the farm he now
occupies with his sell George W. WARD. At the age of eighty-eight years
he is still vigorous, and has lived with his present wife about sixty-five
years. George W. married Sarah Jane CHASE, and is a thrifty farmer and
breeder of fine stock. He with his brother, Henry W., are the only children
now in town of Ira WARD's large family.
Charles W. MASON was born in Potsdam, N. Y., but since he was thirteen
years old has resided mostly at his present home, which was the home of
his mother before her marriage. He has been extensively engaged in the
breeding and sale of Merino sheep for twenty-seven years past, his flock
much of the time numbering one hundred or more. He has shipped two thousand
five hundred Merino sheep to western New York, Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois
since 1875. He has also sent about nine thousand to Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska,
Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Texas, and Utah. His father, Lawrence S.
MASON, married Sarah FRENCH, daughter of Nathaniel H. FRENCH; she was born
on this farm, and died here in 1879. Charles W. was married to a daughter
of Jabez and Helen (WARD) ROGERS; they have five children; one, Hattie,
is a student of Amherst, Mass.; Nellie, a graduate of Beeman, is now in
Potsdam, N. Y. Andrew J. Mason, the oldest son of Lawrence S. and Sarah
(FRENCH) MASON, married Ann WARD, and lives on the farm that was the family
home of the HICKOCKs. He is a farmer, and breeder of registered sheep.
He was one of the three-years volunteers of the last war, and was enfeebled
from hardship and exposure. His son, Fred C., is running a sheep ranch
E. and I. M. KNOWLES, two brothers, own 1,200 acres of land, 150
head of young stock, sixty cows, and are extensive breeders of all kinds
of fine stock. Ezra resides in Monkton; Ira M., in the north part of the
town. Near them live Erastus C. PECK and his son Warren, whose homes are
near each other.
Ira WARD, who was previously spoken of, celebrated his ninetieth
birthday on the 9th of April, 1886. There were four generations present.
Mrs. WARD is in her eighty-eighth year. Ira came to town in 1820, and in
1837 located on the farm where he now lives. He, however, many years since
gave up its management to his son, G. W. WARD, who married Sarah Jane CHASE,
who, with three children, resides under the same roof.
New Haven Mills, a post-village located in the southeastern part
of the town, on the New Haven River, contains, aside from its manufacturing
interests, one church, one school-house, and about twenty dwellings. At
an early date there was quite a village and considerable manufacturing
here. A saw-mill, wagon shop, carding-machine, cooper shop, and tannery
were in operation at the lower village. The tannery was built by a Mr.
PIER, and the carding-machine and trip-hammer shop by Mr. HENDEE. At the
upper village, three-quarters of a mile distant, was the grist-mill and
saw-mill run by D. P. NASH, and the clothier's shop by Othniel JEWETT,
and a tannery, shoe shop and store by Henry S. WALKER. Barzillai BROOKS
carried on blacksmithing, and Mr. NASH had a distillery. At a later date
a woolen factory was in operation at the Mills, which was last operated
by Edward P. THAYER. The building is still standing, and is the same one
run by, Othniel JEWETT. The grist-mill was burned down many, years ago
and never rebuilt. The saw-mill was operated until about 1868, and by H.
O. GIFFORD & Co. last. P. M. LANDON has a butter-factory here which
was started in 1885. It will be noted that almost all of the former manufacturing
interests of New Haven have become things of the past--wiped out of existence
by the active competition of more favored localities.
Of the settlers and residents in the vicinity of the Mills may be
mentioned William LAMPSON, who settled on East street about 1800. Curtis
T. LAMPSON was born here September 21, 1806. He attended the district school
and built the fires, receiving the ashes therefrom as his reward. When
about seventeen he joined his brother William, a fur trader in Canada,
who was connected in some way with the Hudson Bay Company. He traveled
among the Indians and hunters of British America, and acquired valuable
knowledge of the fur trade. He went to New York and in the employ of John
Jacob ASTOR's agent, and other dealers, went repeatedly to London with
cargoes of fur. In 1830 he established himself in London in the fur business.
His success was wonderful, and he soon had the largest depot for peltry
in Europe. He accumulated an immense fortune, reckoned by millions of pounds
sterling. He was the special friend of George PEABODY, the American banker,
who died at his house. He was very active in aiding Cyrus W. FIELD in laying
the first Atlantic cable. For this he received the honor of baronetcy from
Queen Victoria November 13, 1866, in acknowledgment of his distinguished
services. With immense wealth he was very charitable. He remembered the
early days of his own poverty, and never turned away his face from any
poor man. Mr. LAMPSON was in America for the last time in 1857, when he
visited the home of his early youth. He gave eight thousand dollars in
1868 for the erection of a fine school-house at the Mills, and furnished
it with a handsome library of nearly one thousand volumes, selected by
himself. He died March 12, 1885.
Colonel David Phelps NASH was born in Connecticut in 1775, and came
to New Haven in 1793 or '94, and purchased land on the river and kept a
store about one and one-half miles below the Mills. The farm of David P.
NASH was purchased of Grant Prime, and formerly owned by Justus SHERWOOD,
the Tory, whose lands were confiscated when he fled to Canada. Not long
after he purchased the water privilege at the Mills, and from that time
was largely interested in the grist-mill, carding-machine, plaster-mill,
saw-mill, and forge; was also largely engaged in farming. He was married
in 1804 to Elizabeth WILCOX, of Connecticut; he built one of the largest
and best houses in town, in which he died in 1852. He was colonel of militia
in 1812, and was at the battle of Plattsburgh. He twice represented the
town in the Legislature, and was known through the State as a man of great
business ability, and liberal to a fault. His son, Hon. Samuel P. NASH,
is the only surviving child of a family of ten children. He married Mary
S. MUNGER, who died in 1883, at the home of their only son, Edward P. NASH,
of Salisbury, where Mr. S. P. NASH now resides. One daughter died some
years since, and Jennie NASH, the remaining one, has been a teacher in
Hoosick Falls for some years. Hon. Samuel P. NASH was senator in 1858-59,
and held other offices.
William NASH, father of Colonel David P. NASH, was from Goshen,
Conn., and settled early near David P. A younger brother, named William,
jr., came at the same date with his father. William, jr., better known
as General NASH, was twelve years old when his father came to the town,
and became prominent in the early manufacturing operations at the Mills.
General NASH represented the town in the Legislature in 1825-26, 1836 and
'49; was State senator in 1846-47. He filled many places of responsibility,
having been one of the first directors of the Bank of Vergennes, which
position he resigned, being elected the president of the Bank of Middlebury,
at its organization in 1832. This position he held for fifteen years, and
was for more than twenty years a member of the corporation of Middlebury
College; was delegate in 1852 to the National Whig Convention held at Baltimore.
He was a member of the Bible, Home, and Foreign Missionary Societies, and
contributed cheerfully and liberally to all the benevolent enterprises
of the day. He married Miss Mary WRIGHT January, 1817, and lived with her
nearly fifty-five years, on the farm where he died in December, 1871. Mrs.
NASH died in 1880. They had a family of nine sons, who all lived to manhood.
Hon. William P., the eldest, married Elizabeth, the daughter of Colonel
David P. NASH, with whom he lived many years. His present wife is Mattie
C., daughter of Solomon W. JEWETT. He is a prominent business man of large
property, and an extensive land owner; is a breeder of fine horses and
Merino sheep; has been a director for many years of Middlebury bank; was
town representative in 1854-55, senator in 1868 and '69, and has been honored
with many other positions of trust. Fordyce, the second son of General
NASH, was twice married. He died at the Mills about twenty-five years since,
leaving a wife and three sons--Frank J., Fordyce W., and Fred. Frank J.
resides with his mother near the Mills; has a farm of two hundred and twenty-five
acres, a fine dairy, and is interested in agricultural pursuits. He was
town representative in 1884; is now first selectman; is a deacon of the
Congregational Church. Fordyce W. lives in Bristol, where he is a popular
merchant. Fred lives in the West. Charles, the third son of General NASH,
married a daughter of the late Jonathan HAGAR, of Middlebury, who died
in 1878. He is a banker of wealth and prominence in Milwaukee, Wis., where
he settled in early life and still resides with his remaining sons. Jonathan,
the fourth son of General NASH, married West and lives in Wisconsin. James,
the fifth son, died while a student at Middlebury College. Joseph R., the
sixth son, married Miss SELLECK, of Middlebury, by whom he had one son,
William J.; his last wife, Carrie E., daughter of Judge Oliver SMITH, survives
him. He held various positions of public trust in town faithfully and acceptably,
and in 1874 was elected a member of the Vermont House, where he was on
several important committees. He died April 9, 1878. He had a charming
home on the banks of the New Haven River, which is now the residence of
his only son, William J., who married Carrie E., daughter of Nelson W.
PARTCH. Wallace, the seventh son, lived West, and died in 1879. Noah Preserved,
the eighth son, was born at the time of the flood in 1830, and his narrow
escape suggested his name, as the water stood almost to the chamber floor
for many hours, where his mother and friends were. He married Ellen, oldest
daughter of Judge Oliver SMITH. They reside at Oak Grove, Wis. They have
three sons--Edward P., Henry O., and William W. The youngest son of General
William NASH, Dorastus W., lives on the farm formerly owned by Moses WHEELER
(who lived there for many years, and whose family moved West). Dorastus
W. married Lottie FITCH, who died June 15, 1877. His present wife was Louisa
POTTER, of Middlebury. He has a farm of three hundred and sixty acres;
has fine stock, a dairy of thirty-five cows; makes a specialty of fast
horses. He has a hospitable home; has held many offices; was a member of
the House of Representatives in 1878. The old General NASH home, now occupied
by Hon. William P. NASH, stands on the bank of the river, and is one of
the most romantic and lovely of the ancient homesteads of Addison county,
and is now, as it has been for nearly a century, a delightful and hospitable
retreat for many friends, far and near. This farm was settled by Ariel
THOMPSON, of Mansfield, Conn., in 1814.
Othniel JEWETT was born at Fryingham, Mass., January 11, 1779, where
he learned the trade of wool-carding and cloth-dressing. He established
himself at New Haven Mills in this business about 1800. In 1820 and 1823
he served in the Legislature, and was for twenty-eight years a justice
of the peace. His first wife, Susan NASH (daughter of William NASH, sr.),
was born at Goshen, Conn., February 24, 1784; married March 7, 1801. His
last wife was a sister of Rev. John TODD, D. D. His children were Abigail,
born December 3, 1802; Eliza, born July 26, 1805; George D., born November,
23, 1806, married Harriet BRADLEY. He went to California during the gold
excitement and was murdered there. The next son is James M., of whom no
dates are found. Elam R. was born December 7, 1810. He learned the printer's
art at Middlebury, where he was apprenticed for seven years to serve for
his board and twenty five dollars the first year, and an addition of five
dollars each year, and to have the benefit of six months' schooling during
the seven years. He graduated a first-class printer at the age of twenty.
He published newspapers in Middlebury and various other places. He at length
became one of the owners of the Buffalo Commercial Advertiser, the leading
paper of that city, which inaugurated the celebrated chromotypic style
of printing, out of which has grown the beautiful colored work now seen
on cards, show bills, etc. He afterward furnished entirely the fine line
engraving for the United States Patent Reports, which were pronounced the
handsomest specimens of work ever submitted for inspection by the government.
He was married in 1838 to Caroline WHEELER, of New Haven, Vt., and having
acquired a large fortune he retired to a beautiful suburban residence,
where they still live in a happy old age. He visits New Haven annually.
The New Haven Central Cheese Factory, near New Haven Station, went
into operation June 27, 1869, on land given to the company by H. C. HUNT,
esq. The cost of building an apparatus was about 3,000 dollars. The milk
from 330 cows was used daily, and from three to four hundred pounds of
cheese made daily. In 1883 L. W. Stowe and A. D. Evarts purchased the property
and established a creamery, which uses the centrifugal separator. In 1885
they received 504,545 pounds of milk. Beaver Glen Cheese Factory, owned
by H. P. Palmer, situated about a mile south of New Haven village, has
been in successful operation since 1879. P. M. LANDON has a butter factory
at the Mills, which was established in 1885.
The Green Mountain Wood-pulp Company, at Belden Falls, has been
in successful operation since 1881; they use the Cartmell process. There
is a mill for sawing marble at these falls on Otter Creek, near the pulp-mill.
The Cutter Marble Company's quarry was first opened in 1830 by T.
PHELPS. In 1843 it was purchased by Isaac GIBBS. In 1868 it was purchased
by Henry CUTTER, of Winchester, Mass., and Franklin SNOW and A. T. D. BROOKS,
of Boston. At one time it produced $40,000 worth of marble annually, but
the work is now abandoned.
The BROOKS Edge-tool Company, at Brooksville, has manufactured 4,000
dozen axes annually; but Mr. Brooks is about to retire from business.
That the patriotism of the people of New Haven was aroused when
rebellion threatened to wreck the nation is evidenced by the alacrity with
which she responded to the country's call for assistance. She did her whole
duty in promptly furnishing her quota of soldiers. Following is the list
of names of those who served in her behalf in Vermont organizations, as
compiled from State documents:
Volunteers for three years credited previous to call for 300,000
volunteers of October 17, 1863:
A. S. ABBOTT,
jr., E. BAKER, A. M. BEAN, J. B. BIRD, G. W. BISBEE, C. BOMBARD, S. BRADFORD,
S. R. BROWN, C. BUSH, H. CONELL, J. W. DIAGO, A. H. FIELD, A. GAULIN, J.
C. GROVER, R. D. GROVER, P. HALPIN, G. S. HAWLEY, T. J. HILL, J. M. HOYT,
J. O. HUBBELL, H. D. HUNTINGTON, H. JACKSON, P. KING, E. KINGSLEY, A. LAWRENCE,
J. LAWRENCE, M. M. LOCKWOOD, A. J. MASON, H. D. MAYNARD, J. MESSICK, I.
MILLS, A. K. MOORE, E. B. PALMER, J. PALMER, H. E. PICKETT, N. E. RIDER,
W. H. H. RIDER, C. A. SANBORN, J. H. SANBORN, J. SHADWICK, H. S. SMITH,
R. SMITH, G. W. SNEDEN, J. SNEDEN, A. L. SQUIER, H. STURDEVANT, J. SULLIVAN,
A. VARNEY, N. VARNEY, F. J. WARD, G. W. WARD, A. WILLIAMSON, J. WILLIAMSON,
Credits under call of October 17, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers,
and subsequent calls:
Volunteers for three years.--C. ALBEE, N. ATWOOD, E. W. BIRD, W.
S. BROWN, J. CLAPPER, E. DEGREE, E. D. FOSTER, F. GOODROE, F. GOODROE,
jr., J. GOODROE, J. HAGAN, W. H. HINMAN, C. MEIGS, E. B. PALMER, R. PORTER,
jr., A. G. SQUIRES, F. VARNEY, G. R. WITHERELL.
Volunteers for one year.--M. BOWEN, F. W. DUFFY, J. C. GROVER, J.
C. GROVER, jr., I. PLAIN, D. D. SULLIVAN.
Volunteers re-enlisted. -- P. BOAGEE, J. W. DIAGO, J. C. GROVER,
G. S. HAWLEY, H. D. HUNTINGTON, G. D. JACKMAN, M. M. LOCKWOOD, H. D. MAYNARD,
I. MILLS, H. ROBBINS, J. SNEDEN, N. TART, J. WILLIAMSON, R. WILLIAMSON.
Enrolled men who furnished substitute.--S. B. A.L. COWLES, E. S.
Not credited by name.--Two men.
Volunteers for nine months.--W. L. CADY, O. W. CHAPIN, L. DICKERMAN,
H. S. JACKMAN, H. P. JENNINGS, J. JOHNROE, jr., E. KENDALL, P. LAPTAD,
C. W. MASON, E. P. NASH, H. C. ROSCOE, P. D. STURTEVANT, S. WHITTEMORE,
J. J. WHITTIER, A. E. WRIGHT.
Furnished under draft.--Paid commutation, H. V. JACOBS, D. H. SQUIERS,
D. S. WALKER. Procured substitute, E. A. DOUD, E. A. LANGDON, C. E. PALMER,
C. PECK, H. O. SMITH. Entered service, G. F. WASHBURNE.
New Haven is a pleasant village, situated upon high ground, with
a commanding view of the Green Mountains on the east and the Adirondacks
on the west. It lies chiefly on two streets crossing each other at right
angles, Lanesboro and Depot streets, the latter leading to New Haven Station,
one mile distant in a westerly direction. The village contains two stores,
one church, town house, one hotel, three blacksmith shops, two wheelwright
shops, a district school-house, the Beeman Academy, one harness shop, one
shoe shop, and over forty dwellings.
In 1855 the first steps were taken towards the establishment of
an academy here by calling a meeting at the village, which was largely
attended by the prominent citizens of the town, and at which the following
resolution was adopted: "Resolved, That the interests of education in this
community demand the erection of a building suitable for an academy, and
therefore we will at once take the necessary steps to build one."
In a short time sufficient money was subscribed by liberal and public-spirited
citizens to erect the building, and in November, 1855, New Haven Academy
was opened with Rev. Otto HOYT as principal, a position he held for three
years. From 1858 to 1868 there were several changes. Among others who served
as principal during this period was George W. SQUIER, son of Deacon Calvin
SQUIER. In 1865 Rev. C. B. HULBERT, afterward president of Middlebury College,
was elected president of the trustees. Through his exertions the school
was reorganized, and an ample subscription was pledged for the payment
of current expenses, if the tuitions should prove insufficient. In 1868
Abel E. LEAVENWORTH, now principal and proprietor of the Normal School
at Castleton, Vt., was elected principal. During the next two years the
tuitions amounted to more than sixteen hundred dollars, while the citizens
showed their love for the academy and for the cause of education, which
it was intended to promote, by the payment of over a thousand dollars to
meet deficiencies. About this time Anson P. BEEMAN, a former resident of
the town, but then living in Burlington, who was a member of the association
which founded the academy in 1855, became interested in the effort to establish
the school on a better and more permanent basis. He therefore made a will,
bequeathing $6,000 to the academy, the annual income of which Should be
devoted to the support of such qualified teachers as the trustees might
employ. Two conditions were attached to this bequest: First, that an act
of the Legislature should be procured incorporating the academy, officers,
and trustees thereof under the name of Beeman Academy; and second, that
the citizens of the town should raise and invest as a permanent fund, for
the object named in the bequest, a sum of not less than $4,000. These conditions
were met, and Beeman Academy was incorporated in 1869. In 1870 the citizens
subscribed over $5,000, and invested with the Beeman fund. Section six
of the charter declares that the standard of examination required for graduation
in the several courses shall be as follows: "For the English course it
shall not be less than that now required by the State Board of Education
for the highest grade of teachers' certificates. For the scientific course
it shall be equal to that required for admission to the agricultural and
scientific departments of the best colleges in the country. For the classical
Course it shall be of a grade that will enable the graduate to enter upon
a full Course of study in the best colleges."
In the fall of 1870 Beeman Academy was opened, with Abel E. LEAVENWORTH
as principal. He held this position until 1875, when he resigned to accept
the principalship of the State Normal School at Randolph. From 1875 to
1879 H. S. PERRIGO, H. P. STIMSON, and W. J. FISH were successively employed
as principals. The catalogue for 1881 gives the following board of instruction:
C. C. GOVE, A. M., principal, classics and natural science; Miss Emma F.
SHARP, preceptress, French, German, and mathematics; Professor H. M. SEELY,
of Middlebury College, lecturer on natural science; Miss Abby W. KENT,
vocal and instrumental music; Miss Sue PARKER, painting and drawing; Mr.
James M. KENT, penmanship.
The present principal is Herbert HOFFNAGLE, A. B., a graduate of
the University of Vermont, with Miss HOFFNAGLE as preceptress; Miss Minnie
E. ROSCOE, teacher of vocal and instrumental music, with other competent
instructors during the six years' administration of Professor GOVE a valuable
library was established for the use of the students, and two literary societies
founded "The Brownings" and "The Irvings." The academy has graduated more
than a hundred Students, many of whom have pursued a collegiate course;
it has furnished many well-qualified teachers for the district schools,
and has exerted upon the town a moral and educational influence, the benefit
of which cannot be estimated. It was never better organized for efficient
work than at present. It is justly the pride of the town, and deserves
the confidence and patronage of the public. Surely its founders builded
wisely and well! Edward S. DANA is president of the board of trustees;
Henry C. ROSCOE, clerk, and Mills J. LANDON, treasurer.
The early religious services of this town were held, as they were
in many other localities, in private dwellings, barns, and school-houses.
As early as 1802-03 there appears to have been a Universalist Society in
the town, but no records are now accessible. The town records show that
on the 17th of June, 1800, it was voted "To choose a committee to stick
a stake to set a meetinghouse," and to build a meeting-house by subscription.
A committee of three, consisting of Ezra HOYT, Solomon BROWN, and Captain
Matthew PHELPS, was appointed to make a plan of the church. At the next
meeting it was voted to build a church 65 by 55 feet, "with a steeple or
balcony." It was subsequently voted that every house in New Haven should
be visited, to see if the inhabitants will agree "to set a meeting-house
at Lanesborough street, or Beach Hill."
The Congregational Church building at the village was erected as
the result of this effort. It was handsomely repaired in 1876, and is the
finest church in the county, and will seat 600 persons. A very elegant
memorial window was erected in the rear of the pulpit by Mrs. Eliza MEACHAM
and her sister, Mrs. Tolman WHEELER, of Chicago, in memory of their parents,
Mr. And Mrs. Jonathan HOYT. Mrs. Betsey S. BIRD, of Waltham, gave at this
time a very elegant set of furniture for the pulpit.
A Congregational Church was organized at New Haven Mills November
15, 1797, and soon after another at New Haven village, both being united
into one society September 29, 1800. The church was at that time under
the charge of Rev. Nathaniel Gilbert, missionary from Massachusetts, and
in 1802 Mr. GILLET, another missionary from Massachusetts, had charge.
Soon after Rev. Silas L. Bingham was installed as the first pastor, and
remained until 1808. Rev. Josiah HOPKINS, D.D., was ordained in 1809, and
continued pastor until 1830. Rev. Joel FISK was installed October 20, 1830,
and dismissed September 25, 1832. Rev. Enoch MEAD was ordained January
8, 1833, and remained about five years. Rev. James MEACHAM was ordained
May 30, 1838, and was dismissed September 10, 1846. Rev. Samuel HURLBUT
was ordained June 1, 1847, and died December 2, 1856. Rev. Calvin B. HULBERT,
D.D., was ordained October 20, 1859, and dismissed November 19, 1869. Rev.
Stephen KNOWLTON was installed September 2, 1873, and dismissed March 15,
1881. Rev. Clarence S. SARGENT was engaged as acting pastor from October
1, 1881, to January 18, 1883, when he was installed as pastor.
The long pastorate of Dr. HOPKINS is evidence of the high esteem
in which he was held. He was able in his pulpit, and courteous, urbane,
and pleasing in his pastoral duties among his people. He did much to mould
public opinion and elevate and give character to the tone of public sentiment.
He educated several young men for the ministry during his pastorate. He
was fond of his violin, and it is said could drop a "butt log" in the woods
with his sharp axe quicker than any of his parishioners. He resided where
H. C. CONANT now lives.
James MEACHAM was an eloquent public speaker, and earnest and faithful
in his work. He was born in Rutland August 10, 1810, and graduated at Middlebury
College and at Andover; married for his first wife Caroline, daughter of
Judge Elias BOTTUM, and for his second wife Mary F., daughter of Deacon
Ira GIFFORD. In 1846 he was chosen professor in Middlebury College, and
in 1849 elected to Congress, where he served seven years. He died August
23, 1856, having just been re-nominated.
Rev. C. B. HULBERT, D.D., was a pastor of ability and much force
of character. His sermons were studious, thoughtful, and conceived in the
true Christian spirit. His kind and sympathetic manner gained him the esteem
of the parish, and made him especially attractive to young people. After
several years' service at Newark, N. J., and at Bennington, Vt., he was
chosen president of Middlebury College, and served several years.
The other pastors, so far as is known, were all men well fitted
for their work.
Mr. SARGENT, the present pastor, has endeared himself to the parish
both by his public labor and his contact with the people. In January, 1886,
a large revival took place, the result of his earnest and effective work.
At the March communion forty-three united with the church--the largest
number at one time since 1868. The church has now a membership of about
three hundred, with a Sabbath-school of over one hundred. The pastor preaches
at the Mills once a month. The church officers are as follows: Deacons,
Julius, L. ELDREDGE, E. A. DOUD, Frank T. NASH, Hugh POTTER, and Henry
R. BARROWS; clerk, E. A. DOUD; Sunday-school superintendent, Dr. E. F.
The Baptists organized a church at an early day in the west part
of the town, which flourished for some years under the ministrations of
Elders HAYWARD and HURLBURT.
About the beginning of the present century it is said that Lorenzo
DOW and Samuel MITCHELL organized a Methodist society in the east part
of the town, but it was not of long duration. A considerable portion of
the inhabitants of the western part of the town yet attend the Methodist
meetings in Weybridge.
There has been for a great many years a camp-meeting held yearly
(usually in August, for a week or ten days) at "Spring Grove," located
two and one-half miles south from New Haven Depot, on the R. and B. Railroad,
one-half mile west of Town Hill and one-half mile east of the turnpike.
The New Haven Camp-meeting Association was incorporated by the Legislature
of the State in 1868, and improvements are made yearly, as the society
is financially prospering.
The denomination of Adventists built a small church at Brooksville
just before the late war, but it has declined, and but few members now
The Universalist Society of New Haven ordained Caleb RICH as their
pastor January 24, 1803. The society long ago ceased to exist.
New Haven Temperance Society.--Prior to 1830 it will be observed
that several distilleries for the manufacturing of spirituous liquors had
been erected in town. Merchants sold liquors over their counters with the
same freedom that they did other goods, in conformity with a usage which
had come down to them from a former generation. In December, 1831, the
temperance agitation had assumed such proportions that the New Haven Temperance
Society was organized, containing two hundred and fifty members and including
many of the leading citizens of the town. Large accessions to its ranks
were afterward secured. Hon. Elias BOTTUM was the first president. Meetings
were held weekly in the different school-houses, alternating from one to
another, when animated discussions were held relating to the temperance
question. Speakers were appointed in advance who were to address these
weekly meetings. Prominent among them are the names of Dr. E. D. WARNER,
Deacon Ira GIFFORD, Lemuel B. ELDREDGE, Martin COWLES, J. W. LANGDON, Sylvester
DOUD, Calvin SQUIER, and Elias BOTTUM. In 1833 the scope of the discussions
was enlarged, so as to include other topics relating to morals or literature.
The society requested the merchants to abandon the traffic in ardent spirits.
The meetings were kept up with great regularity for about six years, until
finally they became annual, the last recorded being held in 1854, when
Deacon Calvin SQUIER was elected president and E. S. BOTTUM secretary.
The society was reorganized in 1858 and continued till 1862. This society
exercised a large influence upon the public sentiment of the town.
Lanesboro Stock Farm.--This farm is owned by William H. PARTCH,
who also keeps the hotel at New Haven village. Mr. PARTCH has made it his
chief business for a number of years to breed horses of excellent blood,
chiefly of the Cassius Clay stock. He is now the owner of the celebrated
"Clay Jones," bred by Peter W. JONES, of Amherst, N. H., which was sired
by Cassius M. Clay, and several other scarcely less prominent horses of
this blood. Mr. PARTCH has at this writing thirteen horses on his farm,
all of which are of exceptional qualities, and enjoys the reputation of
having done as much for the improvement of horses as any man in Addison
county. He also has about twenty head of Jersey cattle. His farm embraces
one hundred and forty-six acres.
On the corner now occupied by C. F. SQUIER as a merchant Samuel
BUCK was in trade, the first merchant in town, occupying what is now the
rear part of the store. C. T. BINGHAM afterward carried on business there.
The building was erected by Wait SQUIER for a dwelling- house and store
in its present condition, about 1830. Bingham was succeeded by BATES &
LIVERMORE (A. C. BATES and Ray F. LIVERMORE); they were followed by E.
W. BIRD and D. C. HALL, as the firm of BIRD & HALL. L. W. POLLARD next
kept the store, and was succeeded by W. M. PARTCH. He was followed by F.
W. NASH, and he by CHAPIN & SQUIER in 1882. CHAPIN retired in the spring
In early years a small store was kept between the academy and Mrs.
MEACHAM's residence, called the "Red store," built by E. H. LANDON, and
where he traded two years, and was followed by Timothy SMITH, of Monkton.
Ira and Noble STEWART came to New Haven about 1810, and lived in
the house built by Samuel BUCK, now occupied by Dr. E. D. HALL. They built
the store known as the "Roscoe store," and remained in trade about seven
years, removing to Middlebury, where Ira STEWART was for a long time a
leading merchant, and became one of the prominent citizens of the county.
Horace SANFORD succeeded the STEWARTs and remained two years. Rodman CHAPMAN,
in 1819, was his successor and remained ten years. Mr. CHAPMAN was a very
prominent business man during this period. He dealt very extensively in
cattle, produce, etc., for Boston and other markets. He had a distillery
on the New Haven Gore, and built the large brick house in the village,
now owned by G. W. BARTON, at a cost of about $7,000. CHAPMAN was succeeded
by MCPHERSON & FILLMORE, who remained about four years, and were followed
by Alfred P. ROSCOE and Hubbard COOK, who were partners about three years
when COOK retired, and ROSCOE was associated for several years with William
P. NASH, the partnership terminating in 1843. Mr. ROSCOE continued the
business alone until 1857, when he retired, and A. M. Roscoe and Ovette
WASHBURN were in trade together two years. WASHBURN then died, and A. P.
ROSCOE RESUMED business with his son under the firm name of A. P. ROSCOE
& Son, and continued up to 1869, when he retired, and A. M. and H.
C. Roscoe, as "Roscoe Brothers," continued until 1877. NASH & LEAVENWORTH
then bought the store and goods, and remained two years, when A. M. ROSCOE
bought out NASH and was in partnership with LEAVENWORTH two years, when
LEAVENWORTH retired. From that time until his death, February 8, 1885,
A. M. ROSCOE CONTINUED the business alone. His administrator, H. C. ROSCOE,
managed the store for the estate, until January, 1886, when he purchased
the goods in the store, and is managing it on his own behalf.
The present officers of this town are as follows: Selectmen, S.
S. WRIGHT, D. H. SQUIER, F. T. Nash; clerk, Edward S. DANA; treasurer,
E. A. DOUD; constable and collector, John A. CADWELL; overseer of the poor,
John A. Cadwell; listers, M. J. LANDON, G. W. FLINT, L. RICHARDS; auditors,
E. S. DANA, E. A. LANDON, Frank C. Eastman; trustees of public money, E.
A. DOUD, William P. NASH; fence viewers, D. W. NASH, J. A. CADWELL,
George F. WASHBURN; grand jurors, H. P. PALMER, S. B. M. COWLES, C. W.
MASON; town agent, H. P. PALMER; superintendent of schools, Dr. E. F. PRESTON
The following figures show the population of this town at the various
periods named: 1791, 723; 1800, 1,135; 1810, 1,688; 1820, 1,566; 1830,
1,834; 1840, 1,503; 1850, 1,663; 1860, 1,419; 1870, 1,355; 1880, 1,355.
XXVII, pages 522-555.
of the Town of New Haven.
of Addison County, Vermont,
And Biographical Sketches
Of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers."
by H. P. Smith. Syracuse, N. Y.;
& Co., Publishers, 1886.
by Jan Maloy, 2002
Page for look-up offers concerning this town.