lies on the east side of Lake Champlain, and is watered by Lemonfair River,
a good mill stream. The lake here is about a mile wide. The surface of
Shoreham is level, and the soil remarkably good. This is one of the best
farming towns in the State. There are some manufactures in the town, and
a pleasant and flourishing village on the banks of the lake. Most of the
waters here are impregnated with Epsom salts . . .
was commenced about the year 1766, by Col. Ephraim Doolittle, Paul Moore,
Marshal Newton, and others. They adopted the Moravian plan, and had all
things common, until the settlement was broken up during the revolutionary
war. On the return of peace the settlement was recommenced, by some of
the former settlers and others from Massachusetts and Connecticut, and
the town was soon organized."
of Vermont, Hayward, 1849.
OF THE TOWN OF SHOREHAM
For the matter contained in this chapter we are greatly indebted
to the most valuable History of Shoreham, written in 1861 by Rev. Josiah
F. Goodhue, and to the courtesy and information of Mr. Elmer Barnum.
The town of Shoreham is situated in the southwestern part of Addison
county, and is bounded north by Bridport, east by Cornwall and Whiting,
south by Orwell, and west by Lake Champlain, which separates it from Ticonderoga,
N. Y. It lies to the south of Burlington a distance of forty miles, and
southwest of Middlebury twelve miles.
The area of Shoreham is 26,319 acres. The surface is low and gently
rolling, the highest elevation, "the Pinnacle," in the eastern part of
the town, rising to an elevation of about five hundred feet above the level
of the lake. From its summit fine glimpses of Lake Champlain can be obtained,
including old Fort Ti, and of the Green Mountains, from Killington Peak
to Mount Mansfield, and of the Adirondacks on the west. The soil along
the lake is a fertile clay. About one mile east of the shore the land rises
above the clay to a stratum of argillaceous slate, in a range of hills
which extends, with an occasional break, more than half way through the
town from the south line. The higher land, for the most part, is composed
of a strong loam, good for grains of all kinds, and grass. "Cream Hill,"
which derived its name from its remarkable fertility, is two miles long
and one broad, and lies in the north part of the town more than one mile
from the lake. "Barnum Hill," which received its name from that of a number
of families which settled on it in early days, and "Worcester Hills," so
named because the early residents thereon came from Worcester, Mass., are
composed of a similar soil, and bear on their sides some of the finest
farms in New England. "Mutton Hill," in the north part of the town, is
said to have derived its name from the reputation of a family living on
one of its declivities, who were accused of filching from the neighbors'
flocks. Near the center of the town lies what is called the Great Swamp,
which formerly contained about 700 acres covered largely with pine, black
ash, and cedar timber, but which has been greatly reduced within the last
This town was chartered by Benning WENTWORTH, governor of the Province
of New Hampshire, on the 8th day of October, 1761, to sixty persons who
are believed to have had no personal interest in the grant. The charter
was obtained through the agency of Colonel Ephraim DOOLITTLE, and bears
an earlier date than that of any other town west of the Green Mountains,
lying north of Castleton.
Colonel Ephraim DOOLITTLE was the most prominent man in procuring
the charter and effecting the first settlement in town. He was a captain
in the army under General Amherst in the French War of 1755, and served
under him at the capture of Ticonderoga and Crown Point. He was afterward
colonel of the Massachusetts militia in the Revolution. Early in the year
of 1766 Colonel DOOLITTLE with twelve or fourteen other persons, among
whom were Daniel and Jacob HEMENWAY, Robert GRAY, James FORBUSH, Paul MOORE,
John CRIGO, Daniel SOUTHGATE, Nahum HOUGHTON, Elijah KELLOGG, and others,
came together in a company from Worcester county, in Massachusetts, and
selected a spot on which they built a log house. This was situated a few
rods east of a stream called Prickly Ash Brook, and known as the DOOLITTLE
farm. In this house they all lived, the first year in one family, the men
taking turns in doing the cooking. During the first summer this company
cleared about twenty-five acres of land lying at the base of Mutton Hill
on the north and east of Prickly Ash Brook. Colonel DOOLITTLE did not move
his family into town until after the Revolution, but spent much of his
time here, with several hired men, who were employed in clearing lands
and making improvements. He moved his family here in 1783, and owned the
mill-place and mills, and built a house where Mrs. J. F. BIRCHARD now lives.
He died in this town in 1807. Colonel Joel DOOLITTLE, his son, came and
lived with his father in 1783, and in 1784 became the owner with him of
the mills and all his real estate in this town. He also died in this town,
in the year 1828.
Paul MOORE, who was one of the company that visited this territory
in 1766, was, with Colonel DOOLITTLE and John CRIGO, the first settler
in Shoreham. He was born in Worcester, Mass., in 1731; ran away from home
at the age of twelve years and went to sea, passing thereafter more than
twenty years of his life upon the ocean. After relinquishing the seaman's
life he came to Vermont with some of the soldiers in the French War. As
early as 1763 or '64 he passed much time in hunting in the vicinity of
the lake, and in the fall and winter of 1765 he remained six months in
Shoreham, in a hut which he constructed of pine and hemlock boughs. He
did not see another human being during the whole winter. That winter he
caught seventy beavers, and for several winters afterward continued catching
them until he had accumulated a small fortune. He lived to an advanced
period of life as a bachelor, and was married when past fifty years of
age. He died in 1810, aged seventy-nine years. His first log house, which
was burned by Indians, stood on the farm upon which he afterward erected
the two-story house now occupied by J. Q. CASWELL.
In the fall of 1773 Samuel WOLCOTT, from Goshen, Conn., settled
with his family on the farm now owned and occupied by Deacon Almon WOLCOTT.
He and his son Samuel, jr., were with ALLEN's party at the capture of the
fort. Becoming alarmed by a party of Indians that appeared in the vicinity,
he and his family fled to Berkshire county, Mass., where they remained
until 1783. They then returned to the farm they had left. He died while
on a visit to friends in Massachusetts and Connecticut.
Amos CALLENDER came from Sheffield, Mass., with his family, in the
winter of 1774 to Shoreham. He and his family fled from the Indians in
June, 1777, and returning after the war found the brass kettle and other
household utensils which they had buried. They reached Shoreham on their
return on the 14th of February, 1783. In 1793 he built the brick house
now occupied by R. H. HOLMES, and kept a noted hostelry there for many
years. His farm included the present Cream Hill Stock Farm.
Elijah KELLOGG, one of the company that came here in 1766, was from
Sheffield, Mass., and was one of ALLEN's party in the capture of Ticonderoga
in 1775, and is said to have been the first man who entered the fort after
ALLEN and ARNOLD. At the close of the war he settled on the farm where
his grandson, Ransom KELLOGG, now lives.
Daniel NEWTON, from Shrewsbury, Mass., was
here surveying lands allotted to proprietors before and after the Revolution.
He took up several lots in town, commenced an improvement on Cream Hill
east of the road, nearly opposite to the house of the Cream Hill Stock
Farm; sold that place, and began to make another improvement on the farm
now owned by Myron PLATT. He died in 1834, aged eighty years.
In 1783 Jesse WOLCOTT, son of Samuel, sr., settled on the place
now occupied by William Corey, where fifty acres of land were given him
by one of the proprietors, and continued there until his death. Samuel
WOLCOTT, jr., settled on land adjoining the Cream Hill Stock Farm on the
south soon after the Revolution, and died there. William WOLCOTT, brother
of Samuel, jr., located at the Center, in the house now owned and occupied
by Wm. ANDERSON and Wm. LANGLOIS. He afterward sold out to Levi WOLCOTT,
and went to WHITEHALL, N. Y., to live with his son, Dr. Wm. G. WOLCOTT.
Alvin WOLCOTT, a son of Samuel, jr., settled on the farm now occupied by
George H. HALL, where he remained until his death. Deacon Philemon WOLCOTT
followed his father on the place on which Deacon Almon WOLCOTT now lives,
and died there of the cholera on the 1st of September, 1832, in the sixty-third
year of his age.
Thomas ROWLEY returned in 1783 to the farm he had left at Larabee's
Point, where he lived until 1787 with his son Nathan, and then sold the
place to John S. LARABEE, and removed with his son to the place now owned
by Mrs. Luther PARISH. In 1795 he went to Cold Spring, in Benson, where
he died about 1803, aged more than eighty years.
John LARABEE came from New London county, Conn., in 1783, and settled
on the farm now owned by Myron PLATT. He was a well-educated man, and a
surveyor. His son, John S. LARABEE, came from Pownal, Vt., in 1783, at
the age of nineteen years, and lived four years with his father, after
which he cleared a place on Larabee's Point, then called Rowley's Point,
where, with the exception of six years passed in Middlebury as clerk of
the County Court, he remained the rest of his life. He established the
first ferry at Larabee's Point, under legislative grant, and managed it
during his life. He held at different times the office of town representative,
clerk of the County Court six years, judge of probate and of the County
Court. He died on November 28, 1847, aged eighty-two years.
Abijah NORTH came to Shoreham from Farmington, Conn., in 1774; cleared
a piece of fifty acres of land, now a part of the Cream Hill Stock Farm,
given him by one of the proprietors, planted seed for an apple orchard,
built a log house a little west of the house now occupied by R. H. HOLMES,
and returned in the fall to Connecticut. The war intervening prevented
his coming back until March 12, 1783, when he brought his wife and six
children. In March, 1875, he removed to the MOSELEY place in Bridport,
where, on the 3d day of May following, he died. Seth, John, and Simeon
NORTH, with their families, had come to Shoreham just previous to his death,
and John NORTH settled on the old farm of Abijah, where he died at an early
day. Mrs. Seth NORTH, being homesick, returned to Connecticut the next
day after their arrival, by the same team that brought her here. Simeon
NORTH soon after went to Ticonderoga, but returned here and finally went
to Orwell, where his death took place. After the death of Abijah NORTH
his son Nathaniel went to live with Isaac FLAGG; married Sall BATEMAN,
and lived with her father, Thomas BATEMAN, whose house stood about on the
site of the Congregational parsonage, which was erected by Colonel Nathaniel
NORTH in 1818. He removed to Ticonderoga 1831, and died there July 9, 1838.
Colonel Josiah POND came from Lenox, Mass., in 1783, and carried
on Paul MOORE's farm one year; purchased then the farm now owned and occupied
by Edwin JOHNSON and his son William, and erected thereon a framed house
and barn; sold soon after to Isaac FLAGG, and went on to the place now
occupied by Antoine DUMAS, where he cleared a large farm, and in 1790 built
a saw mill on Lemon Fair. Here he died on August 8, 1840, aged eighty-three
years. He was one of the most eminent and influential men among the early
settlers of this town. He was the first militia captain, and was the colonel
of the first lent of militia in Addison county. He was chosen to represent
the town in the General Assembly in 1788, and was the second person elected
to that trust in town. Six times his fellow citizens conferred on him the
honor of that office. In 1791 he represented the town in the General Convention,
called by the Council of Censors for revising the constitution of the State.
He was at the battle of Bennington, and served his country for a few months
after in the army of the Revolution.
General Timothy F. CHIPMAN, from Sheffield, Mass., aided in the
town surveys in 1783 and then settled on the farm now owned by Clement
FULLER. He was born in Barnstable, Mass., on February 1, 1761, and died
in Shoreham May 17, 1830. He was descended directly from John CHIPMAN,
who came to this country from Dorchester, England, in 1631. Timothy, F.
CHIPMAN entered the American army in the Revolution in 1777, as substitute
for his father, who was obliged to support a large family. He served in
the retreat of the American forces before Burgoyne. He married Polly, daughter
of Captain Stephen SMITH, on the 24th of May, 1786, and became the father
of two sons and nine daughters. He kept a public house in Shoreham for
years. He commanded a company of Vermont volunteers on the way to Plattsburgh,
but was a day too late to take part in the battle.
Stephen BARNUM came in 1784 from Lanesboro, Mass., and was followed
by his family in 1785. He located on a large farm embracing land now owned
by Loren TOWNER, and raised a large family of children. He was great-uncle
to Elmer BARNUM. He was born in 1757, and bore an active and honorable
part in the War of the Revolution. He died here on August 24, 1834, aged
Smith street derived its name from four brothers named SMITH who
settled on that road. They emigrated from Nine Partners, N. Y., and came
here from Manchester, Vt. Stephen SMITH built a log house in 1784, on the
place now owned by Orson Martin, and brought his family here in 1785. Deacon
Eli SMITH came also in 1784, and in 1785 located on the farm where Widow
D. C. SMITH now lives. He was in the battle at Stillwater, and beheld the
surrender of Burgoyne at Saratoga. He was born on November 10, 1751, and
died on June 16, 1816. Major Nathan SMITH in 1792 settled on the farm now
occupied by Mrs. VOSS. He was in the battle of Bennington, and with Benjamin
VAUGHAN was the first to scale the breastworks in pursuit of the enemy.
He died before 1800. Amos SMITH, a carpenter and joiner, came here in 1793;
two years later opened a store in a house owned by Jordan POST, and about
1798 lived on Smith street. About 1808 he went to Canada, where he died
eight years later. Philip SMITH, son of Nathan, came here in 1786 and settled
on Barnum Hill. He served as constable and deputy sheriff for several years,
and died February 4, 1847, aged eighty-two years.
Timothy LARABEE settled first, in 1784, on the farm owned now in
part by George S. LARABEE, his grandson, and by Orson S. JONES, and sold
it to Hopkins ROWLEY, in 1792, and went to Georgia, Vt. In 1798 he returned
and settled on the place now owned by George S. LARABEE, though not inhabited.
His birth took place in Plainfield, Conn., on July 6, 1753. He came here
from Pownal, and died here on August 21, 1831, aged seventy-eight years.
Up to this time the town had remained unorganized, no town officers
having been chosen and no taxes levied except those assessed by the proprietors,
for the purpose of constructing roads or bridges, or for supporting schools.
The progress of settlement, according to Mr. GOODHUE, to the beginning
of the year 1786, was so slow that the whole number of families at this
time was only eighteen; and counting five persons to a family, the population
did not exceed ninety.
Among the families who came here between this and 1800 may be mentioned
Noah JONES moved here with his family in March, 1786, from Worcester,
Mass., after having been here two seasons before that. He built a log house
on Worcester Hill, on the place now owned by Milan COOK, where he died
in September, 1850, aged ninety-two years. Eleazer HOLBROOK, who came with
Jones when but fifteen years of age, remained with him until he was twenty-one,
lived then a short time in Bridport, and settled early on the farm now
owned by J. T. STICKNEY. He passed the later years of his life with his
son, David HOLBROOK, in Orwell. In 1790 James MOORE settled on the farm
now owned by William W. MOORE and his mother. Ebenezer TURRILL, from Lenox,
Mass., built a log house in 1786, near the site of the Catholic Church
at the Center, and in 1795, near the same site, he erected the large two-storied
house, afterward a well-known tavern by the name of the Hill House. He
was born in New Milford, Conn., in 1742, and removed to Lenox in 1759.
His son, Truman TURRILL, began to keep the old tavern about 1810, and it
was afterward occupied as such by various persons until about 1849. Ebenezer
TURRILL made potash for some time. He held for several years the office
of justice of the peace. He died in 1825, in the eighty-fifth year of his
age. Daniel and Beebee TURRILL, his sons, settled about 1792 on the farms
now owned by Milan COOK and Royal WITHERELL. Thomas and Nathaniel RICH,
brothers, from Warwick, Mass., purchased in 1785 a tract of land embracing
the present village of Richville. They were great hunters, and were well
acquainted with this part of the country before they made their purchases.
Thomas RICH had before this been to New Hampshire with the purpose of buying
land about the falls in Salisbury, Vt., but was a day too late to effect
the purchase; whereupon he proceeded to Middlebury to look at land there
in the market, lying north of the falls, but did not purchase there. In
1786 he brought several men to his land in Shoreham, and began clearing
the land and preparing for the building of a dwelling and mills. In 1787
he came again, with his brother Nathaniel, and his son Charles, then sixteen
years of age, and who became a representative in Congress. Mrs. Andrew
WRIGHT, resident about three-fourths of a mile distant, did the cooking
for the party. That season Thomas RICH built a saw-mill alone, and did
much work on the grist-mill of Nathaniel. The brothers brought their families
here in the winter of 1797, and completed the grist-mill in the following
spring or summer. William JONES, from Worcester, Mass., lived for a short
time, from 1787, on the farm now owned by James E. WOLCOTT, but soon after
purchased the lot now owned by James F. MOORE. He was the grandfather of
Elmer BARNUM. He died here on November 27, 1833. Asa JONES, also from Worcester,
located on the farm now in the hands of Kent WRIGHT, in 1788, and died
there on the 21st of April, 1841, aged seventy-six years. Levi BIRCHARD,
from Becket, Mass., in 1787 began to improve the farm now owned by his
grandson, Edson A. BIRCHARD, and brought his family there in 1789. He died
January 14, 1844, aged eighty-four years. Andrew BIRCHARD came from the
same place with Levi, and worked for him two years. He first settled on
the lot now owned by Zenus MYRICK, and afterward on the place which Conrad
E. BIRCHARD now owns. He died on December 31, 1857, aged eighty-nine years.
Samuel HUNT, a native of Hardwick, Mass., came to Shoreham from Pawlet
in 1787, and settled on the farm now belonging to the heirs of Nazro NORTHRUP.
He afterward moved on to the farm now owned by B. B. TOTTINGHAM, where
he died on the 15th of February, 1825, aged sixty-two years. Jeremiah NORTHRUP,
from Lenox, Mass., first settled just south of B. B. TOTTINGHAM's, and
soon after removed to the place now owned by the heirs of Nazro NORTHRUP.
He died on the 12th of April, 1840, at the age of seventy-four years.
Samuel NORTHRUP, from Lenox, Mass., first carried on his blacksmithing
in a small house a little south of B. B. TOTTINGHAM's about 1793. In 1815
he removed to the place now owned by Milan COOK, where on the 17th of January,
1839, he died, aged sixty-six years. Deacon Stephen COOPER was born in
East Hampton, L. I., June 22, 1746, and came to Shoreham in the fall of
1789, and was distinguished for his Christian meekness and devotion. He
died on January 29, 1827. Samuel Hand came in 1789 from East Hampton, L.
I., and bought the farm embracing what is now known as Hand's Point. His
father, Deacon Nathan HAND, came from the same place in 1790 to live with
him. Deacon HAND died on the 11th of May, 1811, aged sixty-four years,
and Samuel died on September 13, 1845, aged seventy-six years. In 1787
Gideon JENNINGS, first from Natick, Mass., and afterward from Bedford,
N. Y., settled on the farm in Shoreham which his son, Isaac D. JENNINGS,
now owns. He was a soldier of the Revolution. Silas BROOKINS about 1788
located on the place now owned by the heirs of Thurman BROOKINS. In 1795
Ebenezer HAWES, from Worcester, Mass., settled on the farm now owned by
J. T. STICKNEY, formerly belonging to Gasca RICH. David RAMSDELL came from
Warwick, Mass., in 1787, and settled on the farm now owned by Pliny J.
WAITE. Jeremiah BROWN, from Long Island, settled on the southwest corner
of Mrs. A. R. MINTURN's farm about 1790, and afterward built the house
in which Edward Harrington now lives, and remained there several years.
He died in Benson.
The first proprietors' meeting of which there is a record was held
at the house of Elihu SMITH, in Clarendon, on April 28, 1783, Colonel Ephraim
DOOLITTLE being chosen moderator. Thomas ROWLEY was chosen proprietors'
clerk, Daniel HEMENWAY treasurer, and Asa HEMENWAY collector of taxes.
Among the measures of the day which may be of interest now were the following:
That those Proprietors who have made improvements on the lake shore shall
have their twenty-six acres to cover their improvements and no more, in
equal width with the other lots for their draft in said division, in proportion
to one right of twenty-six acres as above mentioned.
Daniel HEMENWAY be a superintendent to oversee the business of laying out
of lands voted to be laid out by the Proprietors of Shoreham.
ROWLEY, esq., to be the surveyor to lay out the lands voted to be laid
out in Shoreham and his wages to be one dollar each day while in service.
lay a tax of five Spanish Milled Dollars on each right or share of land
in Shoreham, to defray the charges of laying out the lands now voted to
be laid out, and other back charges against the Proprietary, and that said
tax be collected by the first day of October next.
this meeting be adjourned to the sun's rising to-morrow morning. The meeting
opened according to the adjournment, on the 29th of April, A.D. 1783.
one hundred acres be surveyed and laid out as aforesaid, to enclose the
place where the saw-mill formerly stood, and the same be set to the right
of which Ephraim DOOLITTLE was the original grantee: And it is expected
that the said DOOLITTLE cause a saw-mill and a grist-mill to be built at
said mill place as soon as possible, and that there be reserved, for the
use of said mills, sufficient pond room for the use of said mills forever.
this meeting be adjourned to the first Monday of October next, at one o'clock
in the afternoon, then to meet and open at the house of Amos CALLENDER
The first town meeting of which there is any record was held for
the purpose of organizing the town, choosing and qualifying town officers,
etc., November 20, 1786. Present: Nathan MANLY, esq., justice of the peace;
Thomas ROWLEY, esq., was chosen moderator and town clerk; selectmen, Amos
CALLENDER, Ebenezer TURRILL, Eli SMITH; town treasurer, Ebenezer TURRILL;
constable, Elijah KELLOGG. The remainder were chosen by nomination, to
wit: Daniel NEWTON, Stephen BARNUM, John LARABEE, listers; Elijah KELLOGG,
collector; Stephen BARNUM, grand juror; David RUSSEL, Daniel NEWTON, Nathan
ROWLEY, Ebenezer TURRILL, Josiah POND, surveyors of highways. The above
officers were sworn before Nathan MANLY, justice of the peace. May 30,
1791. -- A committee of seven was appointed to divide the town into convenient
school districts. March 4, 1793. -- A report was received and adopted,
dividing the town into eight school districts. March 3, 1823. -- A committee
was appointed to build, or otherwise procure, a Poor House, for the reception
of the poor, with discretionary power to expend not exceeding Six Hundred
Dollars for the same. September 1, 1829. -- The selectmen of the town of
Shoreham, Messrs. Kent WRIGHT, Silas H. JENISON, and Isaac CHIPMAN, made
a report ascertaining and defining the rights of the town to the common.
April 29, 1844. -- A motion being made to approbate Inn-keepers to sell
spirituous liquors for the ensuing year, after discussion, it was decided
in the negative by vote, 14 to 87. On motion, it was Resolved, That the
civil authority be instructed to approbate such persons as they may judge
expedient, to sell spirituous liquors, by retail, who will pledge themselves
to sell only for medicinal and manufacturing purposes. Passed unanimously.
The Old Military or Crown Point road, which passed through the town
on its route from Chimney Point, in Addison, to Charlestown (Number Four),
N. H., was begun in 1759 by a detachment from the army of General Amherst,
but was not for some time completed.
The first road laid out by the proprietors of Shoreham was that
which leads over Cream Hill and by the house of Mrs. Luther PARISH into
Orwell. In early times, at several points it ran farther east than it now
does. In 1781 the road was worked which led from Colonel Ephraim DOOLITTLE's
to the site of the bridge across the Lemon Fair, at the old DE LONG place.
In 1786 the first bridge at that place was built, and not long after this
a road was opened from Shoreham to Middlebury.
The old turnpike road, leading from Bridport to Orwell and Benson,
was completed in 1810. The road from Larabee's Point to Middlebury was
laid out at different times, each portion finding strong opponents to the
straightening process. The road by Richville, to Whiting and Brandon, has
also more than local importance.
Lemon Fair River has its source in Sudbury, Orwell, and Whiting,
passes through this town, Bridport, and Cornwall, and flows into Otter
Creek in Weybridge. At Richville a dam extends across the river, which
raises a pond extending nearly three miles up the stream, for the supply
of mills below. There were at this place in 1860 saw-mills, two shingle-mills,
one grist-mill and flouring-mill, and tannery. Two miles below this place
there was also in 1860 a saw-mill and a small works for carding wool and
On Prickly Ash Brook, which flows north from the Great Swamp, Alonzo
Birchard then had two saw-mills situated at the falls, and a run of stones
in one of the mills for grinding corn. The supply of water here is sufficient
to run these mills only in the spring and fall. Earlier still there was
a grist-mill which did considerable business. The other streams are small
and furnish no water power.
The first school in town was taught by a lady on Cream Hill, probably
as early as 1785 or '86, a school being kept up in that neighborhood a
portion of every summer and winter for three or four years before there
was any other in town.
About 1789 a log school-house was built at the "Corners." For several
years the children in the Birchard and Larabee districts were sent to school
there. A school was also commenced about the same time on Smith street.
The log school-house in the Birchard district was built in 1794. Gideon
SISSON, who had a knowledge of the Latin and French languages, taught a
school there in 1795, and was employed as instructor several years. Newton
Academy was incorporated in 1811. The origin of its name in uncertain,
there being two suppositions --viz., that it was so called in honor of
an early citizen of the town, from whom material assistance was expected,
and that the favor of the shade of Sir Isaac Newton was sought. From the
time of its organization a school of the usual grade of academies has been
kept up, with few intermissions. The original cost of the building was
$2,000. In 1853, after the collection by subscriptions of $1,600 the Newton
Academy Association was formed and the property conveyed to them. A boarding-house
was then attached to the academy building, and an expenditure made of $2,200.
Many changes have taken place since then. While the excellent standard
of the old academy is maintained, the institution has in a measure laid
aside its purely academical character, and is now regarded as a common
school with two departments. W. W. EATON is the principal. Counting the
academy as two common schools, there are now fourteen schools in the thirteen
districts in town.
Most of the early settlers of Shoreham were men who, having been
actively engaged in the service of their country during the war, were attracted
hither by the thrifty forests and fertile, well-watered soil of the territory.
The position of Ticonderoga in particular had an important influence on
the early settlement of the town.
In the second war between the United States and Great Britain this
town contributed more than thirty volunteers, who did honorable service.
During the War of the Rebellion Shoreham maintained the standard
of patriotism which the soldiers of former days had established. The following
list contains the names of those from Shoreham who joined Vermont organizations
in this war.
Volunteers for three years credited previous to call for 300,000
volunteers of October 17, 1863:
G. D. BRYANT, T. A. CANFIELD, F. Y. CENTER, B. S. CLARK, W. H. COWAN, J.
A. DANA, A. DECELLES, E. DENNO, M. DENNO, S. DENNO, T. DENNO, J. 0. GREEN,
E. GUYETTE, W. HIGGINS, G. G. HOWE, C. HUNSDON, H. JOHNSON, E. C. JONES,
V. A. JONES, W. S. JONES, J. KEEFE, M. H. KEEFE, J. KELLY, A. LADAM, H.
H. LAMBERT, G. LAMOT, F. LAPELLE, Z. LAPELLE, H. LAPHAM, C. W. LEMARDER,
L. S. LEWIS, W. F. LEWIS, F. MOORE, A. MOSELY, O. NEPHEW, H. NICHOLSON,
H. B. NORTH, A. P. PALMER, C. F. POWERS, O. E. PRATT, A. L. REED, C. B.
SLOAN, E. P. SLOAN, S. SMITH, F. TRIMBLE, P. TRUDEAU, J. S. WARD, J. WHITE,
H. J. WIDEAWAKE, E. F. WRIGHT, L. YOUNG.
Credits under call of October 17, 1863 for 300,000 volunteers, and
Volunteers for three years. -- J. BASONAIT, G. D. BRYANT, E. E.
CUDWORTH, W. H. DEMING, C. DRAPER, A. ELGER, J. A. HUESTIS, W. HURLEY,
M. H. KEEFE, P. LADAM, I. N. LEWIS, E. LUMBARD, J. N. PAYNE, L. B. POWELL,
T. RYAN, G. H. SHEPHERD, G. W. SHEPHERD, W. G. WILLEY, T. WISELL, J. WOODWARD.
Volunteers re-enlisted. -- G. F. BENNETT, J. CLAIR, O. CLAIR, B.
S. CLARK, A. DECELLES, J. KELLEY, K. MORRILL, E. P. SLOAN, L. YOUNG.
Enrolled man who furnished substitute. -- C. E. BUSH.
Not credited by name. -- Two men.
Volunteers for nine months. -- O. F. ATWOOD, A. AUSTIN, C. A. BUGBEE,
P. CARNEY, W. M. COREY, E. C. CUDWORTH, N. B. DOUGLASS, T. DUCHAN, I. FARNHAM,
B. C. JENNINGS, E. T. KELLOGG, J. W. KNAPP, E. LAUNDRE, W. A. MEAD, B.
MORIARTY, S. I. NORTHRUP, P. SANGRAH, A. M. SMITH, C. SPAULDING, J. Q.
STICKNEY, A. J. TOWNER, D. J. WRIGHT.
Furnished under draft. -- Paid commutation, H. A. BASCOM, A. J.
CARR, E. E. CUDWORTH, R. S. KELLOGG, G. L. MOORE, J. NEWELL, M. PLATT,
C. C. RICH, J. V. SANFORD, C. B. WILLIAMS. Procured substitute, E. N. BISSELL,
J. FROST, H. JONES, J. S. JONES, H. C. MEAD, P. T. WOLCOTT.
The town officers of Shoreham, elected at the March meeting of 1885,
areas follows: Town clerk, C. W. HOWARD, M.D.; selectmen, D. C. SMITH (since
deceased), L. E. MOORE, K. W. MERRITT; listers, J. N. NORTH, Frank MOORE,
E. G. FARNHAM; overseer of the poor, Myron PLATT; constable, Elmer BARNUM
(with jurisdiction of the State); auditors, M. PLATT, E. BARNUM, I. B.
RICH; fence viewers, H. W. JONES, E. BARNUM, M. PLATT; school committee
(Newton Academy), L. E. MOORE, James FORBES, H. W. JONES; treasurer and
trustee of public money, V. RICH ; agent to prosecute and defend suits
in which the town is interested, H. W. JONES; grand juror, Irving B. RICH;
superintendent of common schools, C. W. HOWARD.
The following figures give the population of the town at the several
dates when the United States census has been taken: 1791, 721; 1800, 1,447;
1810, 2033; 1820, 1,881; 1830 2,137; 1840, 1,675; 1850, 1,601; 1860, 1,382;
1870, 1,225; 1880, 1,354.
The towns of New England were generally laid out by the proprietors
and settled by the earliest inhabitants with a view to the erection of
a village at the "center of the town." This plan has many advantages, as
the place for holding town meetings, the building of houses of worship,
the establishment of stores, and the opening of inns, being equidistant
from the four corners of the orthodox township, afford equal facilities
to all the inhabitants. It often happens, however, that the water privileges
and available sites and manufacturing enterprises are situated at one side;
the stores follow the shops, and the center of business activity is thus
separated from the "center of the town." Otherwise all the towns would
need and have but one village and one post-office. This is exemplified
in Shoreham; for though the Center will always maintain the importance
due to its territorial position, it will have an able rival in Richville,
because of its manufacturing importance, as it formerly had at Larabee's
Point and Watch Point by reason of their commercial advantages.
The first house at the Center was built of logs by George LEONARD
as early as 1786, and stood on the site of the house now occupied by Levi
WOLCOTT. About 1798 he built the frame house now occupied by Richard H.
PREBLE. He was a native of Germany, and a soldier in Burgoyne's army. He
was a tailor, and for years the only one in town.
The first regular store at the Center was opened in 1802 by Thomas
J. ORMSBEE, from Warwick, Mass., who did a good business for about two
years. Other early merchants here were Alvin and William WOLCOTT, about
1804 and '05; Barzillai and Eleazur CARY, from 1808 to '19; Dr. Luther
NEWCOMB, from 1805 to '15; Spaulding RUSSELL where Lynde CATLIN now lives,
from 1818 to '27; Truman TURRILL, from 1816 to '23; Samuel H. and John
HOLLEY, one or two years following 1819; Ansel CHIPMAN, about 1820; Perez
SANFORD in the same place previously; Hiram EVEREST, from 1816 to about
'31; David HILL, James TURRILL, and Levi THOMAS, from 1820 to '32; Moses
SEYMOUR, 1829-30; DELANO, HITCHCOCK & Co., from 1830 to 1832; A. C.
& E. S. CATLIN, from 1832 to '36; Kent WRIGHT, from 1832 to '49; E.
S. & L. CATLIN, a short time in 1839; ATWOOD & JONES, from 1843
to '46; E. S. ATWOOD, for many years after 1846; BROOKINS & BIRCHARD,
1849 to '50; union store, from 1851 to '58; WRIGHT & HALL, 1858 and
'59; HALL & HUNSDEN, 1859. The store now occupied by C. N. NORTH was
built by Kent WRIGHT about 1838, and was occupied by BROOKINS & BIRCHARD,
the union store, E. S. ATWOOD, ATWOOD & Son, H. M. ATWOOD. About 1867
Mr. NORTH went into partnership with H. M. ATWOOD, and in 1870 assumed
the sole management of the business. In the spring of 1880 C. B. KENDALL
began keeping a hardware and general store below the hotel. In February,
1883 he came into the building now occupied by himself and partner. K.
W. MERRITT came in with him in April, 1885. The building is an old store,
having been formerly occupied by A. B. CATLIN. It was built by HALL &
The first lawyer in town was Moses STRONG, who practiced at Richville
from about 1800 to '10, when he removed to Rutland. Samuel H. HOLLEY practiced
at the Center from 1809 to '21, when he removed to Middlebury. Udney H.
EVEREST practiced here from 1812 to '45. Samuel WOLCOTT continued in practice
here from 1821 to February 28, 1828, the date of his death. Albert G. WHITE
practiced here from 1845 to '47. Charles K. WRIGHT was here from 1847 to
'55. There are now no attorneys in town.
The first regular physician in town, Dr. Timothy PAGE, came from
Troy, N. Y., in 1788 or '89. He died here in 1810. Others who have been
in practice here in earlier days were Tyler STICKNEY, from 1798 to 1800
or 1801; John MCLAREN, 1792 to 1800; John WILSON at Richville, from 1801
to '22; Erastus BLINN, from about 1819 to '42; William H. LARABEE, a short
time in 1802; Nicanor NEEDHAM, from 1808 to '47; Caleb HILL, from 1826
or '27 to 1833; Nelson G. CHIPMAN, from 1833 to '34; William A. HITCHCOCK,
for more than thirty-five years following 1824; David E. PAGE, from 1842
The physicians now engaged in practice in Shoreham are Drs. PLATT
and HOWARD. Dr. William N. PLATT was born at Enosburgh, Vt., on the 7th
of October, 1849. He received his general education at the Plattsburgh
(N. Y.) Academy, and Hobart College, in Geneva, N. Y. He was graduated
from the medical department of the University of Vermont, at Burlington,
in the spring of 1869, and then took a post-graduate course in New York
city. He began to practice in Shoreham in 1870. On the 23d of November,
1880, he was united in marriage with Lizzie L., daughter of Samuel O. JONES,
of Shoreham. By virtue of his thorough medical education, scholarly attainments,
and fidelity to business he has achieved a highly honorable position among
the members of his profession in the county and State. He is president
of the Addison County Medical Society, having been elected to that position
in 1881. Dr. Charles W. HOWARD was born on the 4th of December, 1845, at
Windham, Vt. He was graduated from Middlebury College in 1872, and from
the Medical University of Vermont, at Burlington, in 1874. He practiced
a year in the hospital in Hartford, Conn., after which he came to Shoreham
in 1876. He has also won a high position in the esteem of his fellow townsmen.
The hotel at the Center was erected in the year 1800 by Joseph MILLER,
who sold it in 1802 to Thomas J. ORMSBEE. He occupied it as a residence
and store until 1804, after which it changed owners quite frequently. From
1828 to his death in 1845 Robert R. HUNSDEN kept it as a public house.
During this period it was known as the Hunsden Hotel. Colonel F. M. WILCOX,
Mr. ENSIGN, George L. DEMING, and A. J. BENNETT followed until 1880, when
the present landlord, D. J. WRIGHT, came into possession. The property
is now owned by a stock company composed of men who live in the town.
The vicinity of the present little hamlet of Richville was in early
years long popularly known as Hackley-burnie. The establishment of the
first mills at this place has already been mentioned. In 1785 Thomas RICH
purchased the land around the falls at the upper dams, and built a house
a little east of the school-house on the south side of the valley, moving
into it with his family in 1786. The site is now occupied by David LARROW.
He built the saw-mill in 1786.
In 1788 Jacob ATWOOD built a log house four or five rods southwest
from the dwelling house (now) of James KNAPP, and brought his family in
the following year. Two or three years later he built a forge at the north
end of the dam, which was soon burned and rebuilt. Here he began blacksmithing.
Soon after this a forge of four fires was built about four or five rods
farther down, furnished with two sets of bellows worked by water, and a
trip-hammer. Russel HARRINGTON did smithing in this building with two of
the fires, and built his dwelling house on the hillside to the north. People
used to come here for smithing from Bridport and across the lake. Nathaniel
ATWOOD worked at blacksmithing for Jacob, and lived on the place now owned
and occupied by Horace D. LITTLEJOHN. Ebenezer MARKHAM in 1797 built a
nail factory and trip-hammer shop on the north side of the upper dam, afterward
used for clothiers' works. Two large logs were thrown across from this
shop to the saw-mill, and for years used for a foot-bridge. The same year
John B. CATLIN erected a house on the site now occupied by Mrs. John CHADWICK,
which was soon after burned by the slacking of some lime stored in the
building. Ira HICKOK built a part of the house now occupied by George LITTLEJOHN.
The place, it will be seen, had considerable importance before 1800, and
it retained its prestige until after the building of the railroad from
Burlington to Rutland. It is even yet a lively place. E. S. NEWELL, who
was born on the 23d of August, 1812, on the farm now owned by Nazro NORTHRUP's
estate, about two miles north of Richville, and came here in December,
1847, states that the village did about the same business then as now,
but had not so many houses.
The butter-tub factory and saw-mill of COOK Bros. (A. J., H. C.,
and Charles) is the successor to an industry established by E. S. NEWELL
in 1853, when he also erected the building. He first manufactured horse
plows, threshing machines, and shingle machines here, and in 1862 added
to the lists of his products the Newell mowing machine. About 1880 he began
to make butter-tubs and barrels. He sold out to COOK Brothers on the 1st
of April, 1884. The grist-mill now owned and operated by H. A. LYMAN was
built by Ezra RICH as early as 1831 or '32. Thurman RICH followed him,
and Virtulon and John RICH followed Thurman. In 1870 Mr. LYMAN became owner.
He bought the saw-mill a few years ago of DENNO & PELTIER. The building
now occupied by E. H. LYMAN, in the manufacture of axe-helves, is one of
the oldest in town, having in former days been used as a carding-mill.
Mr. LYMAN started his business here about six years ago. L. COLLETTE has
done blacksmithing in Richville for twenty-one years, and has occupied
his present shop more than ten.
The first store kept in Richville was about 1795, by John B. CATLIN.
The next store was kept from 1799 to March, 1811, by Charles RICH, in the
old house next east from the grist-mill. PAGE & THRALL kept a store
in this village from 1811 to '13; Davis RICH from 1815 to '21; D. &
G. RICH from 1833 to '51. A part of the old store of Charles RICH still
stands at the rear of the store now kept by I. B. RICH. This store was
kept in 1860 by Henry RICH and Martin L. ROYCE, as the firm of ROYCE &
RICH until about 1862. ROYCE bought out his partner and remained until
1864, when he went West, selling to Gasca RICH, now of Middlebury, who
conducted the business alone until 1869. His son, Irving B., the present
proprietor, then became his partner. About 1878 the firm name became, by
the addition of Charles T. BIRCHARD to the business, RICH & BIRCHARD.
On the 1st of April, 1880, I. T. RICH assumed the entire management of
Before the opening of railroads on both sides of the lake had shifted
the channels of traffic and reduced the commercial importance of the lake,
Larabee's Point was a place of considerable importance. The first store
kept here or in town was by George and Alexander TRIMBLE, who began about
1789 and continued until about 1800. Soon after this, about 1802, James
ROSSMAN opened a store which he kept for two or three years. Abiel MANNING
had one from 1826 to '28 or '29. Joseph WEED was here from 1828 to '30.
Afterward in different years have been Walter CHIPMAN & Co., Azel CHIPMAN,
P. W. COLLINS & ROCKWELL, John B. CHIPMAN, and ABBOTT & BROWN.
In 1799 a ferry was incorporated here to John S. LARABEE, who had
run one since 1787; in 1812 James BARKER had the ferry; in 1818 John S.
LARABEE again received a charter from the Legislature. The ferry still
remains, being the only steam ferry in the county. "Zeb" MARTIN, the proprietor,
has been in possession about three years.
The only other business now in progress here is the steam saw-mill,
owned and operated by Richard LEONARD, built in the summer of 1885, and
turning out a large amount of work; and the United States Hotel. The old
tavern, which John S. LARABEE bought of Thomas ROWLEY in 1787 and enlarged,
and which was burned in 1838, stood on the site of the present hotel. The
United States Hotel was built by Samuel H. HOLLEY and B. B. BROWN. Among
those who have kept it in the past were H. S. GALE, Dennis TEAZEY, A. P.
CUTTING, F. B. KIMBALL, FARR & KIMBALL. A. C. FARR, the present proprietor,
has been in possession alone for about ten years.
There is a large deposit of black marble on this point, which in
early days was worked to some extent by Dr. E. W. JUDD, of Middlebury.
In 1851 the Shoreham Marble Company was incorporated, consisting of Nathaniel
HARRIS and Henry L. SHELDON, to work the old "Judd Marble Quarry." The
quarry is not now worked.
Watch Point, two miles north of Larabee's Point, was also quite
an important point at one time. A ferry crossed the lake there until recent
years. The building of the wharf at Watch Point was commenced about 1825.
A small storehouse was commenced the same year, and business on a small
scale was done by William S. HIGLEY, until about 1828. The wharf was afterward
enlarged, and business was done by TURRILL & WALKER from 1828 to '31,
and continued from 1831 to '34 by M. W. BIRCHARD, by whom the business
of slaughtering and packing beef was begun. John SIMONDS purchased the
place in 1835, and by him the business of packing beef for market was extended
and continued for years, constituting one of the leading business enterprises
of the time in the State. The steamboats have sometimes touched at Watch
Point. A stage was run here for a single season. There is no business of
any kind there now. The place is owned by John S. LEONARD.
The mail was first carried through this town on horseback once a
week, until a stage was put on by COMSTOCK, of Whitehall, between that
place and Vergennes, about 1816 or '17. The mail was then delivered tri-weekly.
After the establishment of the post-office at LARABEE's Point a daily mail
was received. The stage to Middlebury commenced about 1826. The first post-office
was kept at a tavern at the Four Corners, on the Basin Harbor road, and
continued there until the turnpike road was opened and the third postmaster
opened his office at the present hotel place at the Center. Since the establishment
of the first post-office at the Center, in 1806, the following postmasters
have served: Barzillai CAREY, 1811; Perez S. SANFORD, 1819; Udney H. EVEREST,
1820; Hiram EVEREST, 1820; Moses SEYMOUR, 1827; David HILL, 1830; Edmund
B. HILL, 1833; Asaph BROOKINS, 1849; Thomas H. GOODHUE, 1851; Edwin S.
ATWOOD, 1855; Charles HUNSDEN, 1859. A. C. HALL followed HUNSDEN. Then
followed George L. DEMING, Ira G. BASCOM, C. C. NICHOLS, C. N. NORTH, and
the present incumbent, appointed in the fall of 1885, R. H. PREBLE. The
first post-office at Larabee's Point was established on the 3d of February,
1831, when Walter CHIPMAN received the appointment. H. F. Johns succeeded
him November 17, 1837. On December 19, 1838, the office was discontinued,
but was re-established on June 8, 1840, by the appointment of James H.
CHIPMAN. Charles W. LARABEE followed March 1, 1842. On the 13th of the
next month the office was again discontinued, but was re-established July
23, 1849, by the appointment of Charles S. ABBOTT. October 1, 1849, Charles
W. LARABEE was appointed, and on the 10th of January, 1852, Henry S. GALE
became his successor. The present postmaster, W. C. LARABEE, has kept the
office in the hotel ever since GALE left it. The office at Richville was
established about 1860, when M. L. ROYCE was appointed. Gasca RICH succeeded
him in 1864, and still holds the office through his deputy, I. B. RICH,
who oversees the distribution of mail.
From the first settlement of the town the people, with few exceptions,
were devoted to agricultural pursuits. Most of the early settlers came
here poor, with means barely sufficient to purchase fifty or one hundred
acres of land. At an early day they had to struggle on through many difficulties;
but by persevering industry and economy most of them in a few years became
independent, and a few of them wealthy farmers.
At an early day a market was opened for lumber at Quebec. Many of
the early settlers employed their winters in drawing immense quantities
of pine logs and square timber to the lake, to be sawn into deal or plank
three inches thick, which were floated in rafts through Lake Champlain,
and down the Sorel and St. Lawrence to that mart. It was but a small compensation
which the laborer received for his time and toil, though he was ultimately
enriching himself by clearing his lands and thus extending the area of
cultivation. The oak timber as cut and squared, or split into staves, and
was sent in the same direction for a market. Before the forests were cleared
the quantities of these two kinds of timber were immense, and the farmer
at an early day was essentially aided in bringing his lands into a state
of cultivation, by devoting his winter seasons to the timber business.
From the year 1783 to '91 the productions of the land were mostly
wanted for home consumption. Wheat was the principal production at that
early day, and, as there was little money in circulation, contracts were
mostly made to be paid in that article, or in neat cattle. From the year
1797 to 1810 wheat was the principal staple of the farmer. During this
period the high prices caused by the wars in Europe brought him a rich
reward for his labors. The restrictions put upon our commerce about the
year 1810, however, seriously embarrassed this branch of industry.
Previous to the last war with Great Britain very few sheep had been
kept. In the suspense of importations caused by that war, and the restrictive
measures which preceded it, more wool was wanted for domestic use and to
supply the infant manufactures to which that war had given rise. The common
wool of the country suddenly rose as high as one dollar per pound. The
high price of the article stimulated the farmers to increase their flocks,
and a general desire was awakened to make wool-growing a leading business.
The interest of the farmer soon prompted him to take measures to improve
the quality of his staple, in order to meet the demands for the finer fabrics.
(For further details of the sheep interest in this town, see the chapter
upon that subject.)
Cream Hill Stock Farm, located in the northern part of the town,
on the hill which gave it its name, contains 730 acres of land, purchased
by A. C. HARRIS in 1864. It is made up of the old farms of Hiram RICH and
Bela HOWE. It was originally intended to be a horse stock farm, and was
the home of the famous stallion Daniel LAMBERT. Reuben S. DENNY and Benjamin
E. BATES owned it at different times. It is now a Holstein cattle farm.
The farm being part of the Benjamin E. BATES estate, is under the management
of the administrator, H. B. HAMMOND, of New York city. About twenty head
of imported Holstein cattle are now kept on the place.
F. and L. E. MOORE have recently been buying and raising an improved
breed of shorthorn cattle, and now have about a dozen head.
E.N. BISSELL, of East Shoreham, has been investing in five or six
head of Galloway cattle, and promises to do well by them.
Simond's Lodge, No. 59, was chartered January 9, 1862, With the
following first officers: George L. DEMING, W. M.; J. N. NORTH, S. W.;
H. C. HOLLEY, J. W.; W. C. SIMONDS, treasurer; J. M. BISHOP, secretary;
C. J. MOORE, S. D.; J. S. WARD, J. D., and W. H. KEEFE, tiler. It now has
a membership of fifty-eight. (See chapter on secret societies.)
Previous to the Revolution there were no religious meetings held
in the town; but a few years after, ministers of the Congregational and
Baptist denominations occasionally visited the people and preached to them.
The earliest preaching of which there is any account was by Elder Samuel
SKEELS, a Baptist minister, who came here in 1788 or '89, and remained
about three years.
In the year 1791 the Rev. Joel WEST preached for some time in this
town. On the 9th of January, 1792, in a town meeting, a motion was adopted
Joel WEST be requested to preach in this town for the term of four Sabbaths
from this date, on probation, provided a subscription be raised to his
satisfaction in compensation for his services."
On the 24th of January a town meeting was held, and acted on the
following articles in the warning:
form a religious constitution according to the rights of Christianity,
to govern such inhabitants, and if they please to give Mr. Joel WEST a
call to settle with them as their minister, and to invite him to join them
in such religious constitution or compact.
agree on measures for his support.
choose a committee of the inhabitants and church, or separate committees
from each body, to confer on measures respecting uniting said bodies in
one compact, and report their doings to the town and church for their acceptance,
if they please."
The only action taken on these articles at this meeting was the
appointment of a committee of six persons -- "To form a Religious Constitution
agreeable to the rights of Christianity" -- consisting of Ephraim DOOLITTLE,
Thomas ROWLEY, Josiah POND, Thomas BARNUM, Doctor PAGE, and James MOORE.
In March, 1794, the people were favored with the labors of Rev.
Ammi R. ROBBINS and Rev. Peter STARR, missionaries from Connecticut. On
the 25th of that month the Congregational Society was organized, with fifteen
members. The church was thus favored with missionaries until 1805, when,
on the 26th of December, Rev. Evans BEARDSLEY was ordained the first pastor
of this church, and retained the position until May, 1809. The first church
edifice was erected at Shoreham village, of wood, with a seating capacity
for 1,000 persons, and cost over $6,000. In 1846 this structure gave place
to the present handsome edifice, built of brick, seventy-two by fifty-four
feet, and finished with best materials inside and out. It will comfortably
accommodate 500 persons, and is valued, including grounds, at $10,000.
The present pastor is Rev. Mr. CURTISS.
The Baptist Church was organized June 2, 1794, with fifteen members--eight
males and seven females--and appointed Eli SMITH deacon. Rev. Abel WOODS
was ordained pastor February 26, 1795, and continued to preach with them
until 1811. During his residence in Shoreham 170 members were added to
the society. For some time this organization has suspended the holding
of regular meetings.
The Universalist Society at Shoreham village was organized in 1806,
with Rev. Richard CORRIGUE as pastor, who remained until 1814. Worship
was held in the district school-houses till the academy building was finished,
when this building was used until 1852. A comfortable brick edifice was
then erected at a cost of about $4,000, which was burned in January, 1885.
The present house of worship has just been completed at a cost of $4,000.
The society now meets every four weeks, services being conducted by Rev.
S. A. PARKER, of Bethel.
The Methodist Society at Shoreham village is supposed to have been
organized about the year 1804 or '05 by Jabez BARNUM, Samuel AMES, and
others. Nothing definite can be arrived at, as the early records have been
lost. The society has never owned a church edifice, and since the erection
of the Y. M. C. A. chapel in 1859, has used that building, having a free
lease of it as long as it stands. They have at present no regular pastor,
and do not hold regular meetings. Rev. Perry MARSHALL, of Bridport, occasionally
preaches to them.
The St. Genevieve Catholic Church, located at Shoreham village,
was organized in 1873, with 150 members. During that year the present edifice,
of wood, was constructed, which will seat 500 persons, and is valued at
$6,000. Rev. Father COFFEY, of Orwell, the present pastor, has under his
care a congregation of 300 members.
XXXII, pages 610-628.
of the Town of Shoreham.
of Addison County, Vermont,
And Biographical Sketches
Of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers."
by H. P. Smith. Syracuse, N. Y.;
& Co., Publishers, 1886.
by Jan Maloy, 2002
See the List's
Page for look-up offers concerning this town.