Mountain lies near the centre of Waltham, and, as it is the highest land
in the country, west of the Green Mountains, its summit exhibits a good
view of a delightful section of country. Waltham lies on the east
side of Otter Creek, which it separates from Panton . . . The settlement
of Waltham was commenced just before the beginning of the revolutionary
war, by a family of Griswolds, and others, from Connecticut."
of Vermont, Hayward, 1849.
OF THE TOWN OF WALTHAM
this work by
WALTHAM was chartered in 1761 by Governor Wentworth, of New Hampshire,
in common with New Haven, of which it was formerly a part. It contained
about nine square miles, and by special act of the General Assembly of
Vermont was taken from the northwest corner of New Haven, after the city
of Vergennes was incorporated in November, 1796. At a meeting of the citizens,
March 30, 1797, its organization was perfected by the election of P. BROWN,
moderator; Andrew BARTON, jr., town clerk and treasurer; Doctor GRISWOLD,
constable and collector, and Phinehas BROWN, Joseph LANGWORTHY, and Moses
PIER, selectmen. The name of Waltham was suggested as a proper one for
the new town by Phinehas BROWN, who came from Waltham, Mass. It has no
post-office and never had a separate charter, and had no common business
center within its limits, being a strictly agricultural town, the business
of its citizens in trade and commerce being transacted in the city of Vergennes
and the adjoining towns of Weybridge and New Haven. A range of high hills
intersects the town north and south near its center, and at one point assumes
the proportions of a mountain, called Buck Mountain. On either side of
this range the land slopes gradually; on the east to the line of New Haven
and beyond, and on the west to Otter Creek. It has a variety of soil well
adapted to grazing and cultivation, and many of the farms rank with those
most noted in the beautiful Champlain valley.
No settlement was made in the town prior to 1769, when a few families
from Massachusetts and Connecticut came in and commenced clearing the unbroken
wilderness. Many of these families took up lots contiguous to each other
and at about the same time, and by their native energy and necessary industry
made such progress in clearing the lands, building comfortable though rude
dwellings, opening roads, and other general improvements, that their success
as pioneer settlers would have been permanently assured but for the jealousy
and greed of the Yorkers, who seemingly allowed no opportunity to pass
by which they could harass and annoy their less numerous and poorer neighbors.
It is well understood that several of these families, or members thereof,
who resided here previously to the war, were, with others from adjacent
towns, carried away by bands of Tories and Indians and never returned,
while others by some means escaped after years of privation and suffering,
and returned to occupy their lands. Among the first settlers in Waltham
were a few of the grantees of New Haven, or their immediate descendants,
and others, who are not included in the list of grantees. It appears of
record that John EVERTS, of Salisbury, Conn., was deputed by the grantees
to obtain a charter of a township from Governor WENTWORTH, and accomplished
the business of his mission, at the date first mentioned in this sketch.
It is not certain that John EVERTS ever resided in Waltham, yet his family
was represented in the early settlement of the town, and several families
of the name of EVERTS of successive generations have been, and still are,
permanent and influential citizens in town. One author gives the name of
John EVERTS as the first town clerk of New Haven, but in searching the
records the statement needs confirmation, and is doubtless erroneous. He
might have been proprietors' clerk, but another name appears as first town
clerk, and stands affixed to official papers, placed upon the early records.
All agree that Andrew BARTON, jr., was the first town clerk of Waltham,
and also the first justice of the peace, elected in 1791. He was a well-educated
man for his time, and his native talents were much above the average. He
died in 1802, in the prime of his manhood, aged forty-one years. His residence
was on the West street near the center of the town, at present occupied
by his grandson, A. B. ROSE, and one of the finest locations in this or
adjoining towns. He had several brothers, residents of Waltham and New
In addition to the names of first and early settlers mentioned,
may be here noticed others who figured conspicuously in giving character
to the community and promoting the general and important interests of the
town. Before the war came John GRISWOLD, sr., and his five sons, John,
jr., Nathan, Adonijah, David, and Doctor; Eli and Durand (father and son)
ROBURDS, Andrew and Dyer BARTON, Phinehas BROWN, and others. About that
time, or a little later, came Isaac HOBBS, Ichabod COOK, Ebenezer, ZEBULON,
and Roger HAWKINS, Joseph ALMY, Nathaniel CHALKER, Jesse WARD, Joseph LANGWORTHY,
Moses PIER, William and George FISHER, Daniel CHIPMAN, Luther and Calvin
EVERTS, and Christopher DENNISON. He and the four eldest sons of John GRISWOLD
were taken prisoners by a band of Indians and carried with others into
Canada. John, jr., induced by a promise of liberty, went as a hand on board
a transport ship that sailed from Quebec for Ireland, and was never after
heard from. The others returned at the close of the war. Adonijah located
in the east part of the town, near the residence of H. EVERTS, reared a
family of five sons, left the town about 1830, and went with his family
to Illinois, where he died at an advanced age. Nathan lived and perhaps
died in Vergennes. David located on the farm lately owned and occupied
by H. C. HUNT, in New Haven, and spent the remnant of his life there. Doctor
located on the West street in Waltham, and built the stone house now occupied
by C. D. BRISTOL. He was many years a prominent citizen and public officer,
and died an old man.
Andrew and Dyer BARTON located on West street and occupied lands
now owned by F. D. BARTON, grandson of DYER, the latter dying in 1808 aged
fifty-nine years, leaving his estate to his son John DYER and a daughter,
Fanny, who became the wife of Jeptha SHEAD, a bookbinder and dealer in
the city of Vergennes. The widow of Dyer BARTON subsequently married Aurey
FERGUSON, and died July 23, 1842, aged eighty-nine years. The first fifty
acres owned by John D. BARTON, who subsequently became a large land owner,
were given him by Andrew BARTON for his care and support during his natural
life. He (Andrew) died soon after this arrangement was made, January 10,
1813, aged seventy-three years. The south part of the farm was early owned
and occupied by William BARTON, son of Andrew B., sr., until 1835, when
he sold out to Abijah and Judson HURD, from Cornwall or Bridport, and moved
to Middlebury, where he resided several years, but died in Indiana at an
advanced age. He represented the town in the General Assembly in 1832.
The HURD brothers occupied the farm six or eight years, then sold to John
D. BARTON. The farm occupied by David HARE was first settled by Calvin
EVERTS, son of Luther EVERTS, sr., who lived but a few years, and died,
leaving a widow, who subsequently married Luther HUNT, the father of H.
C. HUNT, of New Haven, and Newman HUNT, of Waltham. Mr. HUNT died at the
residence of his son Newman in 1844, aged eighty years. A dwelling house
was built on the site of Mr. HARE's house about 1830 by Josiah BAILEY,
a shoemaker by trade, and a representative of the town in 1835. After following
business a few years he sold the premises to J. D. BARTON and went to Franklin
county, N. Y. The house built by BAILEY was burned about 1845 while occupied
by Amos M. BARTON, son of J. D., and after the division of J. D. BARTON's
estate (Mrs. HARE being one of the heirs) Mr. HARE built the beautiful
dwelling house standing thereon. Mr. HARE is an active, prompt man, and
a good farmer and dairyman. John D. BARTON was widely known as a large
land owner, a judicious farmer and successful breeder of horses, sheep,
and cattle. He died in 1865 at the age of seventy-five. The farm now owned
and occupied by John H. SPRAGUE & Son on West street was occupied at
an early day by Anthony and Lewis SPRAGUE, the former being the father
of J. H. SPRAGUE, sr., into whose hands the property soon drifted. John
H. SPRAGUE, sr., was a stirring business man, and in addition to his farming
was a large dealer in livestock, especially of fat cattle, large numbers
of which he purchased to be slaughtered. He built the fine residence now
standing, and died in 1863, aged sixty-seven. His son, John H., jr., succeeded
to the occupancy of the homestead, and erected the commodious and convenient
out-buildings standing thereon. Carlton W. SPRAGUE, son of J. H., jr.,
occupies a farm adjoining his father's, which formerly belonged to the
territory of J. D. BARTON; it was purchased a few years since of Calvin
BRAGG, whose wife was a daughter and heir of J. D. BARTON. The SPRAGUES
have been thorough farmers and general business men, and everything around
them gives evidence of enterprise and thrift. The present owners are breeders
of fine-wooled sheep and fine horses. The residence of A. B. ROSE is the
place on which Andrew BARTON, jr., resided, who is supposed to have been
the first settler on that farm. He had brothers -- Nathan, of New Haven,
and William, of this town, both of whom were large land holders and men
of much shrewdness and good sense; yet Andrew, jr., is said to have been
a more brilliant man in practical ability and intellectual strength. Polly
BARTON, his widow, subsequently married one Manchester, who kept a country
tavern on the Barton farm, and the old sign, Manchester's Inn, is now in
possession of Mr. ROSE. No one seems to know, and no record shows, what
became of Manchester; but the old lady lived long after he disappeared,
and when she died, in 1842, was buried by the side of her first husband.
One of the daughters of Andrew BARTON, jr., married Newton ROSE, a Connecticut
man, who resided in Waltham several years last before his death, which
occurred in 1865, aged seventy-five years. He was three years a representative
in the General Assembly and two years a door-keeper in the same. Andrew
B. ROSE, son of the last named, succeeds to the ownership of most of the
homestead of his grandfather BARTON, and is an excellent farmer and dairyman;
has held various town offices and was its representative in 1876 and '77.
The farm now owned by J. and E. J. HURLBURT was first occupied by Christopher
DENNISON, jr. It soon passed to the ownership of Lewis COOLIDGE, from Boston,
Mass. He was a good citizen, but never a practical farmer. He occupied
the farm some fifteen years, then sold the same to Philemon ALVORD, who
in turn occupied the same about twenty-five years, then, in 1860, sold
to Isaac HALLOCK and removed to the State of Minnesota, where he has since
died. This farm has since been owned and occupied by H. W. PHILLIPS, O.
M. CHAPIN, George HALLOCK, N. ROSE, and now by Julius and Edward J. HURLBURT.
The "town plot" is on this farm.
The so-called BACON farm is the same that was early occupied by
Christopher DENNISON, jr., the first representative elected from this town.
It passed to the occupancy of Charles BACON in 1833, who lived upon the
same until his death in 1873. He represented the town three years, held
the various offices of the town, and was a first-class farmer. The row
of beautiful, thrifty maples standing by the wayside, opposite the dwelling
house, is a living monument to the memory of Charles BACON. Oscar C., son
of Charles, succeeded to the ownership and occupancy of the farm, until
his death in 1879. Both of the BACONs were successful breeders of fine-wooled
sheep, and a valuable flock is still kept on the farm by Frank H., son
of O. C. BACON, who is the present occupant of the same.
The SAXTON farm was a part of the territory early settled by Timothy
TURNER, and conveyed to him by his father, John TURNER, in 1809. Mr. TURNER
sold to George FISHER, who came from Addison and located here in 1815.
Mr. FISHER occupied and improved the farm, until, in 1841, he sold the
same to his sons-in-law N. A. SAXTON and John P. STRONG, who subsequently
divided the same, and occupied his division until the death of Mr. SAXTON
in 1874, and the sale of Mr. STRONG's part to Henry S. CROSS in 1850. Mr.
FISHER was many years a leading man in town; a justice of the peace thirty
years, town clerk fifteen years, and town representative in 1833, '34 and
'38. He died in 1865, aged eighty-five years. Mr. SAXTON was a noted breeder
of fine-wool sheep, and ranked high among the best breeders of his day.
He held various town offices and was its representative in 1867 and '68.
Mrs. SAXTON now resides on the farm formerly belonging to her husband and
father. After her decease it passes, by Mr. SAXTON's will, to the Congregational
Church Society in Vergennes.
The farm now occupied by Messrs. WRIGHT & JACKMAN is that of
which mention is made as belonging to John P. STRONG, and after him to
H. S. Cross, who occupied the same until 1867, when Mr. WRIGHT purchased
it; he still owns and occupies the same, in company with his son-in-law
Henry S. JACKMAN. A part of the farm was the residence of Joseph LANGWORTHY,
one of the first board of selectmen and an early settler in the town. He
died October 1823, aged eighty-seven, and his wife December 3, 1823, aged
eighty-four years. The enterprising LANGWORTHY brothers, well-known and
thorough business men and merchants in Middlebury, Vt., are grandsons of
the venerable patriarch Joseph LANGWORTHY. The present owners of the farm
have made marked improvement thereon, and are successful breeders of choice
Merino sheep. Mr. WRIGHT has held the office of town clerk fourteen years,
was town representative in 1874 and '75, and has been superintendent of
schools since 1871, except for one year. Mr. JACKMAN has held various town
offices and was a member of the General Assembly in 1884 and '85. The farm
now occupied by John GREGORY was first settled by Solomon STRONG, who lived
upon the same until his death in 1822, aged eighty-five years. Solomon
STRONG, jr., owned and occupied a farm with his father, and subsequently
sold it to Azro BENTON in 1830, and moved to Hinesburg, where he died in
December, 1846, aged seventy-three. Mr. STRONG was one of the best men
of the town, a man of refinement, and withal a good blacksmith. He built
the large house now standing on the farm. Mr. BENTON occupied the STRONG
farm about thirty years, when he sold the same to Isaac HALLOCK, who lived
thereon ten years and died in October, 1870, aged fifty-four years. Mr.
HALLOCK was employed eighteen successive years by Samuel E. CHALKER, of
New Haven, as a foreman in his large farming operations, at the nominal
sum of fifty cents per day during the entire period. He was married, and
during his long term of service with Mr. CHALKER raised a family of five
children. The rent of a house and fuel for the same, also the keeping of
a cow or two, were furnished gratuitously to Mr. HALLOCK by his employer.
Mr. HALLOCK commenced business life empty handed and left an estate valued
at $20,000. He was twice married; the second wife survived him and is now
the wife of John GREGORY, a native of Ferrisburgh. Anson M. HALLOCK, his
son, succeeds to the ownership of a large part of his father's farm, is
a good farmer, and one of the present board of selectmen.
The farm on West street, first settled by Phinehas BROWN, first
representative of New Haven, at his decease came into possession of Elijah
BENTON, of Cornwall, Vt., who married one of Mr. BROWN's daughters, and
who occupied the farm until his decease in 1875. It is now owned and occupied
by E. F. BENTON, by whom it has been much improved, and its present appearance
is very creditable to the good taste of the owner. Richard BURROUGHS married
another daughter of Mr. BROWN and resided on a part of the BROWN territory
many years, but died in Illinois in 1850, while visiting his only son.
Mr. BURROUGHS was a man of liberal culture, having been graduated at Dartmouth
College with a prominent standing in his class, and prosecuted his studies
long after his graduation. He edited and published a grammar of the English
language; was town clerk several years; town representative in 1831, and
a practical surveyor in this and adjoining towns. One of Mr. BURROUGHS's
daughters became the wife of Azro BENTON, who is still living at the age
of eighty-four. A. BENTON has been a successful farmer, and several years
a constable and collector for the town.
The farm and residence of the late Warren W. PIERCE was first occupied
by a son-in-law of Mr. BROWN, named Abram MCKENZIE. It is now the property
of Wyatt W. PIERCE, whose temporary residence is Franklin Furnace, N. J.
The elder PIERCE was noted as a careful breeder of Jersey cattle and a
successful dairyman. Fine Jersey stock is still kept on the place.
The SUTTON farm was early owned by Edward SUTTON, a prominent merchant
in Vergennes, and at his decease in 1828 became the property of his daughter,
now residing in New York city. It contains 200 acres and is among the best
farms of the town. It has been occupied at various periods by some excellent
citizens and first-class farmers, viz., John C. BUCKLEY, Henry HAWLEY,
Midas P. FAGGART, and others. Its agency was for many years in the person
of Daniel W. BUCKLEY, and is now in that of the Hon. J. E. ROBERTS, of
The DAY farm, now owned and occupied by Mrs. N. S. DAY, was owned
in small parcels by William MCKENZIE, Beers TOMLINSON, and Francis BRADLEY,
from whom it passed to Dr. W. M. DAY in 1865. He died there in 1874. Dr.
Day was town clerk and superintendent of schools several years, and was
the only practicing physician who ever had residence in Waltham.
The farm of John PRESTON was probably settled by William SPALDING.
Mr. PRESTON, the present owner, was born in Ireland, came to this neighborhood
when a lad and has resided in town nearly fifty years and raised a large
family of sons and daughters. One of the sons was a graduate of Middlebury
College, class of 1880 and is now a successful teacher at Mamaroneck, N.
Y. Another son was a graduate of the medical department of Vermont University
in 1882, and is now located at New Haven, Vt., and gives promise of success
in his chosen profession.
The residence of Mrs. Maria THORN, also the adjoining farm, now
occupied by George BOSTWICK, was first settled upon by Wm. FISHER, of Addison.
He was a very prominent citizen, but died early, aged about forty-five
years. The farm was subsequently divided between his two sons, Peleg and
Hiram, who lived upon the same until well advanced in age, when they both
removed to New Haven, where they have since died. Mr. BOSTWICK came to
town in 1884, the successor of Daniel HAWLEY, who bought of the FISHERs.
Luther EVERTS, born about 1760, and son of Luther EVERTS, sr., was
an early settler on East street; reared a large family and spent a long
life there. He was a very bright, keen-witted man, social, but sensitive;
was a surveyor, and held many of the offices in town by repeated elections.
His death occurred at the homestead in 1846. His son, Harry EVERTS, succeeded
to the ownership of the farm and is the present occupant. He was town representative
in 1869 and '70, and held other principal offices in town. A younger brother
of the last named, the Hon. Edwin EVERTS, was a graduate of Middlebury
College in class of 1839; studied law and was admitted to the bar in Addison
county; represented Waltham in the General Assembly in 1863 and '64, and
served as assistant judge in Addison County Court. His residence is now
in Illinois. He and Richard BURROUGHS were the only college graduates who
ever resided in the town, except the PRESTON brothers above named.
Other early settlers, and their entire families, have died or left
the town or country, so that no one of the name or kindred remains in the
town. Of these, many of the older residents will remember the names of
Ebenezer and Zebulon HAWKINS, Daniel CHIPMAN, Wm. SPALDING, George S. and
Benjamin CHASE, Ichabod COOK, Nathaniel CHALKER, Joel T. CLARK, Elkanah
BRUSH, George FIELD, Lyman and Leman HUSTED, John PECK, Josiah BAILEY,
Philemon ALVORD, Christopher DENNISON, and others. The farm first occupied
by Ichabod COOK, afterward by J. T. CLARK, is now owned by Harry EVERTS
and son, who are large landholders in Waltham and New Haven, and also noted
breeders of fine Jersey cattle.
The farm owned and occupied by Numan HUNT and his son-in-law, C.
D. SMEAD, is that on which Zebulon HAWKINS lived many years, and died there
more than fifty years ago. The farm now owned by Nicolas FOSTER was occupied
by Ebenezer HAWKINS, one of the early settlers. Mr. FOSTER purchased the
farm in 1836, and has since resided thereon. Adjoining the FOSTER farm
was the residence of Roger HAWKINS, who purchased the same in 1813 and
lived thereon till his death, about 1840, aged eighty years. The farm is
now owned by Samuel S. WRIGHT, of New Haven.
The HOBBS farm, on East street, was probably first occupied by Isaac
HOBBS. He kept a public house for the entertainment of travelers, and lived
to a great age. Previous to his decease the farm had been transferred to
his son Solomon, who spent many years thereon, but at an advanced age moved
to Vergennes, where he died. The farm is now the property of Mrs. E. A.
HULBURD, only daughter of Solomon HOBBS, who was the wife of Rev. David
P. HULBURD, formerly a preacher and presiding elder in the Methodist Episcopal
Church. He died February 14, 1885, aged sixty-five.
Jesse WARD was probably the first settler on the farm now owned
and occupied by Numan HUNT. He came from Lee, Mass., and located in town
in 1803; passed the balance of his life in town, and died about the year
1838. His son Chester settled near the former in Waltham and was a prominent
citizen until his death in 1882, aged over ninety-two years. Two sons succeeded
to the ownership of his large and very valuable farm, and one of them,
Watson W., is the town's treasurer and has often held the other principal
town offices. Ira, another son, resides in New Haven. These men have been
successful farmers, accumulating a competency, and possessing the respect
of the community.
Daniel CHIPMAN was an early settler and a very prominent citizen
in the town; was a good farmer and reared a numerous family; but they are
all gone away, and his fine farm is now owned by the WARD family and heirs
of George FISHER, jr. George S. CHASE was a sea-faring man in early life,
but came to Waltham in 1806 and located on the farm north of the Chipman
territory. He died an independent farmer in 1867. His brother, Benjamin
CHASE, owned and occupied the farm now belonging to FIELD & FRISBIE,
and came to reside thereon as early as 1867. He died in Ferrisburgh about
1870. W. F. FRISBIE, the present occupant of the B. CHASE farm, came from
Westport, N. Y., and located in town in 1870. He is a successful farmer
and has made marked improvements on the premises, having erected an elegant
and convenient dwelling house and remodeled the farm buildings. He is an
active business man and has held various town offices. The farm now, and
since 1838, owned by Stephen M. BURROUGHS, was first settled by Joseph
and Benjamin ALMY. It appears from the records that Elkanah BRUSH was the
first owner, and sold to Joseph ALMY. He, in turn, transferred the farm
to WHITE & BRUSH (Reuben), merchants of Vergennes. New lands frequently
came into possession of the merchants by mortgages given to secure the
payment for goods purchased by new-comers into this and neighboring towns,
and very likely this farm came to Mr. BRUSH in that way. Mr. BURROUGHS
has made very marked improvements on the farm, having, in connection with
his sons, George E. and Solon, stocked a large area with a variety of fruit
and shrubbery. He has been noted as a successful horticulturist, a good
farmer and stock-breeder. His dwelling house is supposed to have been the
first two-story framed house built in the town, and it was erected in 1786.
It stands on high ground about a mile south of the city of Vergennes, and
commands a grand view of the same and the surrounding country. The Adirondack
range of mountains for more than thirty miles, Lake Champlain with its
numerous islands and floating vessels, Otter Creek valley with its beautiful
farms, together with the spires and villages of surrounding towns, are
all spread out as a grand panorama from the place of Mr. BURROUGHS's residence.
On the north road leading from Vergennes to New Haven, and the easterly
section of the BURROUGHS territory, is the residence of Solon BURROUGHS,
the present constable and collector of Waltham, and also one of the justices
of the peace. He also is an extensive fruit grower.
On the East street again, and opposite the farm of Mr. BURROUGHS,
is the residence of William W. BOOTH. His excellent farm is the same that
was owned in the early history of the town by William WHITE, first cashier
of the first bank of Vergennes. It was purchased of the White family by
Mr. BOOTH in 1875.
The residence of W. R. BRISTOL on West street was erected by Francis
BRADBURY, a native of Vergennes, who spent his early life at sea, but settled
here in 1841; was town clerk a few years, and sold out to Deacon J. PARKER
in 1844, who occupied the same till his death in 1872. Mr. PARKER was town
representative in 1847 and '48; he was a deacon of the Congregational Church
in Vergennes several years. The place passed to the ownership of Mr. BRISTOL
in 1881 and has undergone extensive improvement, so that it is one of the
finest residences in town. Mr. BRISTOL is a dealer in farm produce and
has an office and place of business in the city. He is one of the justices
of the peace, and has held various town offices. F. D. BARTON, son of John
D. BARTON, is the present owner of the large and beautiful farm where several
members of the BARTON family first located in town. He has been a successful
farmer and breeder of fine-wooled sheep. In 1880 he built upon his premises
a magnificent barn, the best one probably in the county. It was designed
for the accommodation and convenience of his large flocks and herds, and
the storage of large quantities of hay and grain which his well-tilled
farm is capable of producing. The barn is built on an inclined or sloping
surface and in the form of the letter T. The size of the part designed
for sheep is 96 x 40 feet, and the basement is occupied by his flocks.
The cattle department is 108 x 50 feet. The whole is three stories high,
with a sub-basement under the cattle for storing manure. All the hay is
carried in upon the third floor and thrown down into the deep bays until
they are filled, the grain in suitable places for convenience of threshing.
It is thoroughly built and finished throughout, and has capacity for holding
an immense quantity of hay, estimated at least at 300 tons, and stock enough
to consume it all can be accommodated under its broad canopy. Its expense
was probably not less than $8,000. Alanson EDGERTON, of Charlotte, Vt.,
was the architect and builder.
H.S. CROSS resided seventeen years on the farm now owned by WRIGHT
& JACKMAN, and was a prominent citizen. He removed in 1867 to Bridport,
Vt., where he died in 1881, aged seventy years.
Rev. John HOWARD was a clergyman of the Baptist denomination and
the only one who ever resided in the town while engaged in the active service
of his profession. He was a good man, and died December 26, 1826, aged
seventy years. His residence was on the farm now owned by W. W. PIERCE.
No church edifice has ever been erected in this town; yet religious meetings
have been frequently held in the several school-houses, and appointments
often been made by the clergy of adjoining towns and as often filled. A
large number of the citizens are members of Christian churches, and their
attendance in many cases has been regular and punctual.
The town has an agricultural library and most of the families supply
themselves liberally with books and the current literature of the day.
There are three school districts in Waltham, and each is supplied with
a good school building; no mill privileges or mill in town; no public buildings
except school-houses, and no professional man living within its limits.
Yet all these good things are close at hand, but just within the boundaries
of adjoining towns. No section of a railroad lies in Waltham, yet the bed
of the Rutland and Burlington Railroad is about thirty rods outside of
Except the legal quota of justices of the peace the citizens of
Waltham have held but few of the county offices, the more populous towns
properly claiming and bestowing the offices upon the worthy citizens of
the larger municipal corporations. Hon. Edwin EVERTS was an associate judge
of Addison County Court two years, in 1865 and '66, and William S. WRIGHT
was appointed by the governor to the same office in November, 1885, vice
Hon. E. A. DOUD of New Haven resigned. Andrew BARTON, jr., was a justice
of the peace five years, George FISHER held the same office thirty years,
Chester WARD seventeen years, and Peleg FISHER fifteen years. Other citizens
have held this office through periods varying from three to fifteen years.
Waltham had no representative in the General Assembly until 1824, when
Christopher DENNISON, Jr., was made her first representative. Since that
time the town has been regularly represented, except in the year 1826.
The names of persons filling the various town offices in 1885 are: Clerk
and school superintendent William S. WRIGHT; selectmen, James SNEDEN, Arthur
D. EVERTS, and Anson M. HALLOCK; constable and collector, Solon BURROUGHS;
treasurer, Watson W. WARD; listers, W. W. WARD, W. S. WRIGHT, and W. F.
FRISBIE; grand jurors, Numan HUNT and W. R. BRISTOL; town agent, W. R.
BRISTOL; trustee of United States surplus fund, William W. BOOTH.
This town has only about 250 inhabitants, and that has been about
the number during the three last decades. Her quota of men to be raised
under the several calls of the president in the War of the Rebellion was
promptly furnished submitting to a draft on one occasion only, when two
of her citizens were drafted and paid a commutation of $300 each. There
are now residing in the town several citizens of Waltham who were in the
army; some reside in other towns, and some were killed or died in the service.
Among the former are H. S. JACKMAN, Cornelius GAINEY, Henry P. FISHER,
Dustin BARROW, and Angus BURNS. Cassius A. CROSS, who was a sharpshooter,
was killed at the battle of the Wilderness. Other men than the above named
were furnished in obedience to the call, as shown in the following list:
Volunteers for three years credited previous to call for 300,000
volunteers of October 17, 1863:
S. BAKER, D.
BEAURA, J. BLAYES, A. C. BURNS, A. C. CROSS, J. FULLER, J. W. JACKSON,
Credits under call of October 17, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers,
and subsequent calls:
Volunteers for three years. -- F. COLOMB, jr., F. ENO, H. P. FISHER,
Volunteers for one year. -- A. J. HOBON, E. MATOT, G. A. QUILTY.
Volunteer for nine months. -- C. N. DICKENSON.
Furnished under draft. -- Paid commutation, E. F. BENTON, J. TATREAU.
There is no record at hand which furnishes a list of men enlisted
in the War of 1812, but well-authenticated tradition includes the names
of George FISHER, Newton ROSE, Josiah PARKER, Abram MCKENZIE, Elijah BENTON,
Solomon HOBBS, Solomon STRONG, jr., Charles BACON, Coleman JACKMAN, and
Christopher DENNISON, jr., and some others, perhaps, who were present as
volunteers and participated in the battle of Plattsburgh in 1814.
XXXV, pages 702-712.
of the Town of Waltham.
of Addison County, Vermont,
And Biographical Sketches
Of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers."
by H. P. Smith. Syracuse, N. Y.;
& Co., Publishers, 1886.
by Jan Maloy, 2002