is watered by Otter Creek, which affords it good mill sites . . . Some
parts of the town are mountainous, but the soil is generally good; the
basis being limestone, it yields good crops . . . The settlement was commenced
about the beginning of the revolutionary war, by David Stow and John Sanford,
but the settlers were soon after dispersed or made prisoners by the enemy.
The settlement was recommenced on the return of peace. The first settlers
were mostly from Massachusetts."
of Vermont, Hayward, 1849.
OF THE TOWN OF WEYBRIDGE
This town is situated in the central part of Addison county and
is bounded on the north and east by New Haven, east by Middlebury (which
towns are separated from it by Otter Creek), south by Cornwall, and west
by Bridport and Addison. The surface of the town may be described as rolling,
while the soil is varied in character from rich alluvium to clay, and many
excellent farms exist. Wheat, barley, oats, buckwheat, corn, and potatoes
are grown, and sheep-raising and the dairy are not unimportant industries.
The surface of the town presents sufficient variety to give it much natural
beauty. A large portion approaches a level, while other parts are rolling
and hilly; Snake Mountain, near the center, rises to the most conspicuous
eminence, and extends north and south across a considerable portion of
the town; the northwest part lies on this mountain. The principal streams
are Otter Creek, which bounds the northern and eastern sides, furnishing
by its different falls unlimited water power; Lemon Fair River, which flows
along near the east side of the mountain and joins Otter Creek, and Beaver
Weybridge was chartered by the governor of New Hampshire on the
3d of November, 1761, to Joseph GILBERT and sixty-three associates, with
the customary reservations, in seventy shares, comprising in the aggregate,
according to the charter, 25,000 acres. In the survey of the towns Weybridge
lost from the west side a tract about seven miles in length, which was
covered by the charters of Addison and Bridport bearing earlier dates;
but this loss was partially made up by annexations. October 28, 1791, about
700 acres from the northwest corner of New Haven were annexed, and on October
22, 1804, about 2,000 acres from the northeast corner of Addison, lying
east of the summit of Snake Mountain; the town was still further enlarged
by the annexation of about 100 acres from the southeast corner of Panton.
In 1857 the line between Weybridge and Addison was surveyed, and established
by a commission appointed and authorized by act of Legislature passed in
1856. In November, 1859, about 500 acres of the northwest corner of Weybridge
were annexed to Addison, a measure which was opposed by the inhabitants
of the former town. These various changes have left Weybridge with an area
of about 10,000 acres.
Thomas SANFORD and Claudius BRITELL have been frequently given the
honor of being the first settlers of Weybridge, and the date of their coming
placed in the year 1775; but Colonel Isaac DRAKE, from whom we have obtained
much valuable information, states that SANFORD came prior to the year named.
He first settled on the place now occupied by Oren K. BRITELL, and shortly
afterward removed to the site of the house on the place now occupied by
Edward G. CHILD, on the north side of the present road. A year or so later
Claudius BRITELL bought the place where SANFORD first located, now occupied
by Oren K. BRITELL. SANFORD has no descendants in the town. His son Ira
was the first child born here. Oren K. BRITELL is a direct descendant of
the pioneer Claudius BRITELL. Martin E. SPRAGUE, Madison E. SPRAGUE, and
Mrs. William NEWTON are also descendants.
David STOW came in about the same time as BRITELL, and settled on
the north side of Otter Creek, in what was then the town of New Haven;
the homestead farm is still occupied by Azro J. STOW. It has always been
in the possession of the family.
Justus STURDEVANT (now spelled STURTEVANT) came to the town about
as early as STOW and settled about a mile farther up the creek from STOW's,
on the same side, and also in the then town of New Haven. The farm is owned
principally by members of the STURTEVANT family and occupied by Leonard
and Charles STURTEVANT. Martin STURTEVANT, living in the village, is a
descendant of the pioneer. Leonard and Charles have families, and two sons
of the latter, Watson C. and Albert, are married and live in the town.
The pioneers came in by way of Otter Creek, and pursued their labors
toward clearing some land and making for themselves comfortable homes in
peace and fancied security. But an enemy was at hand; and just as they
were getting a few of the comforts of home and civilization about them
the raid of Tories and Indians, in November, 1778, which has been described
in these pages, was made, and the little movable property of the settlers
was carried away or destroyed, their rude dwellings burned, the men taken
prisoners, and women and children left destitute. These defenseless creatures
took refuge in an out-door cellar belonging to one of the burned houses,
where they lived for ten days on a few potatoes left by the enemy, when
they were discovered by some American soldiers and taken to Pittsford.
In 1856 a handsome marble monument was erected over the site of
this cellar by some of their descendants. The following inscription upon
its base tells the whole story:
"Weybridge was chartered by New Hampshire in 1761 settled in 1775 by Thomas
SANFORD, David STOW, Justus STURDEVANT, and Claudius BRITELL. November
8, 1778, a party of British, Tories, and Indians destroyed their house
and effects, and carried T. SANFORD and son Robert, D STOW and son Clark,
C. BRITELL and son Claudius, and J. STURDEVANT prisoners to Quebec. Their
wives and children, after occupying a cellar at this place ten days, were
taken to Pittsford by our troops. D. STOW died in prison December 31 1778.
T. SANFORD escaped, and the others were discharged in 1782. Erected in
1856 by David, MILO, Jason and Miller STOW, John and Orange BRITELL, John
STURDEVANT, Ira SANFORD and others."
The captors took Thomas SANFORD and his son Robert, Claudius BRITELL
and son of same name, David STOW and his son Clark, and Justus STURTEVANT,
and carried them to Quebec. Mr. STOW died in prison December 31, 1778.
Thomas SANFORD succeeded in escaping, and after a long journey through
Maine and New Hampshire joined his family. The other prisoners, after undergoing
extreme hardships, were discharged in 1782. In the succeeding year these
families began to feel a degree of security which impelled them to return
to their ruined homes, and they were soon followed by others. Of the new-comers,
Ebenezer WRIGHT settled on the east side of Snake Mountain (then in the
town of Addison), on the farm now occupied by his grandson, Edwin S. WRIGHT;
Ira S., a brother of Edwin, formerly occupied a part of the farm. Samuel
CHILD came about the same time, and settled about three-fourths of a mile
south of Ebenezer WRIGHT, on the same street; the farm is now occupied
by John A. CHILD, eldest grandson of Samuel. Edward CHILD is another grandson
of Samuel, and lives in this town. Willis B., son of John A. CHILD, lives
in the town and has a family. In 1793 David BELDING came in and located
at what is known as Belding's Falls, on Otter Creek, in the east part of
the town; the farm is now occupied by Sylvia DRAKE and Polly A. SHAW, who
are granddaughters of BELDING and sisters of Colonel Isaac DRAKE. Besides
these, there are in town as descendants of David BELDING Mrs. John A. CHILD,
a great-granddaughter; H. Emily BOWDITCH; Louisa B. DRAKE, daughter of
Rev. Cyrus B. DRAKE, D. D., brother of Colonel Isaac; Delena D. WILLARD,
Colonel DRAKE's eldest sister. Mrs. WILLARD has four children living,
one of whom is Dr. George B. F. WILLARD, of Vergennes; Mrs. A. D. EVERTS,
of Waltham, is a daughter; and Asaph D. and Lucy H. WILLARD live with their
mother. The mother of Willis B. CHILD is a great-granddaughter of David
BELDING. About the time of BELDING's arrival here Ebenezer SCOTT came in
and located west of him, on a road that is discontinued. The farm is divided
among various persons, and there are no descendants of SCOTT in the town.
SCOTT's wife was a daughter of David BELDING.
Aaron PARMALEE settled early on the farm now occupied by J. F. COTTON;
no descendants here.
Solomon BELL settled on the road from Weybridge to Middlebury about
one and one-half miles from the court-house in the latter place, on the
farm now occupied by Walter WRIGHT. William D. BELL, now living in the
town, is a grandson of Solomon, and son of Dennis. Mrs Samuel E. COOK and
Helen M. BELL, of Middlebury, are granddaughters of Solomon.
Samuel CLARK, another of the early settlers, located on the road
from the WRIGHT Monument to Middlebury; none of his descendants now in
Samuel JEWETT settled early on the place now occupied by A. D. HAYWARD,
near the monument, and subsequently built the brick house now there. Of
his descendants there are now living in the town Philo JEWETT and his son,
Silas JEWETT and his daughter, Mrs. Jno. A. JAMES. Samuel JEWETT's daughter
Betsey became the mother of the poet, John G. SAXE. Samuel JEWETT was the
first town clerk of this town, and died in October, 1830. His was the fifth
family in town. He came from Bennington to Rutland and thence to Pittsford
with an ox sled. There he built a raft and continued the journey by water.
Mr. JEWETT held the office of town clerk twenty-six years and represented
his town eighteen years, besides holding other offices. His son Philo was
also in the Legislature five years, and selectman twelve years.
Daniel JAMES was among the first settlers and located on the farm
now occupied by Samuel JAMES and his sons, John A. and Frank, on the south
line of the town. Samuel JAMES also has a son named Charles, and three
daughters. Curtis, the oldest son of Samuel, lives in Cornwall, and Rev.
H. P. JAMES, another son, lives in Corinth, Vt.
Roger WALES settled about 1790 on part of the farm now occupied
by Colonel Isaac DRAKE. He had three sons, Benjamin, Shubael, and Charles;
they settled about half a mile west of Colonel DRAKE. John WALES, now in
the town, is a son of Shubael. Ruth, wife of Daniel WRIGHT, is a daughter
of John WALES; another daughter (Emma) married Rollin SHAW and is deceased.
Benjamin WALES has a grandson, H. O. WALES, living on his grandfather's
homestead. B. F. WALES, a Middlebury merchant, is another grandson of Benjamin.
Mrs. Sardis DODGE, living in Middlebury, is a daughter of Benjamin.
Asa DODGE settled very early in the town, and later lived on the
Colonel Sardis DODGE, one of the leading farmers of the town, now
owns the school lot and is a son of Asa. L. B. DODGE, of this town, is
a grandson, and son of Jedediah R.
Silas WRIGHT came to the town with his father's family in 1797,
and settled on a farm north of the Lemon Fair River, now occupied by Edward
CHILD. His descendants now living in Weybridge are Samuel O. WRIGHT, grandson;
Loyal L., grandson of Silas WRIGHT, sr. (father of Silas), lives just across
the line in Cornwall; George WRIGHT, son of Loyal, lives with Deacon Samuel
O. WRIGHT, and has a son and two daughters. Daniel L. WRIGHT is a son of
Silas, sr., and has a son named Silas living with him. Philo ELMER, of
this town, is son of a daughter of Silas WRIGHT, sr. Silas WRIGHT, jr.,
became one of the leading men of his time. After graduating from college
in 1815 he began teaching, and studying law. He finally settled in Canton,
N. Y.; was made surrogate of his county in 1820; was postmaster seven years;
became a member of the State Senate in 1823, and four years later was sent
to Congress. In 1829 he was made comptroller of the State and was elected
to the United States Senate in 1833; this office he held eleven years,
and was one of the leading members. In 1844 he was elected governor and
nominated for a second term, but failed of election. Several nominations
for high offices were declined by him. He died in August, 1847.
Asaph DRAKE was born May 27, 1775, and came to Weybridge in 1793
from Massachusetts, settling at Belding's Falls, and began work for David
BELDING, finally taking the daughter of the latter (Louisa) for his wife;
she was born May 13, 1770, and their marriage occurred December 15, 1796.
They had nine children, six sons and three daughters, as follows: Elijah
G., Lauren Isaac, David B., Mary L. B., Sylvia L., Cyrus B., Polly A.,
and Solomon. Colonel Isaac DRAKE, of Weybridge, is the only son now living;
the other living children of Asaph DRAKE are Polly A. and Sylvia L. The
descendants of David BELDING before mentioned are all descendants of Asaph
DRAKE, through Colonel Isaac DRAKE's mother.
Colonel Isaac DRAKE was born March 8, 1802, in Weybridge. He was
elected town clerk in 1840 and held the office twelve years, when he resigned.
He derives his military title from the office of colonel in the State militia.
Joseph KELLOGG settled before 1800 on the hill east of Colonel DRAKE's,
but has no descendants now in town.
Zillai STICKNEY settled about one and a half miles from Middlebury,
on the old turnpike to Vergennes. He had a large family and was a prominent
early citizen. He held the office of constable upon the organization of
the town in 1789.
Abel WRIGHT, one of the first board of selectmen, lived in the house
now occupied by H. B. HAGAR; none of his family remains in the town. Joseph
PLUMB, another of the first selectmen, lived in various localities, and
at one time owned a farm at the mouth of the Lemon Fair; he removed to
Bangor, N. Y., early in the century.
Joseph MCKEE was the first owner of Belding's Falls, and lived there
at a very early date. He sold the property to David BELDING and left the
town afterward. He was the third selectman of 1789.
HAYWARD came to Weybridge in 1805 and bought the farm next south
of Colonel Isaac DRAKE's present residence. Mr. HAYWARD was father of Joseph,
who died in this town in 1865. Asaph D., another son of Asaph, born in
Bridport in 1823, became a prominent citizen of Weybridge and held numerous
Another early settler of this town who contributed to its growth
and prosperity was Dr. Zenas SHAW, who located near the site of the Wright
Monument. He died in 1842. His son, Fordyce M., is a farmer of the town
and occupies the place formerly owned by Asaph DRAKE.
Toshaw CHERBINO, a native of France, came here early and spent the
remainder of his life. His son, Jerome B., still lives here and is a prominent
breeder of Merino sheep.
Columbus BOWDISH (now written BOWDITCH) came here from Bennington
in 1814, and died here in 1865.
Hiram HURLBURT came here from Woodstock at an early day and was
one of the pioneers of 1849 to California, where he died in 1861. His son,
Captain Ward B. HURLBURT, is still a resident of Weybridge.
Benjamin HAGAR settled and died on the farm now occupied by Henry
B. HAGAR, his great-grandson.
William COTTON came to the town in 1812, settling in the west part.
He died in 1855. J. F. and Horace, residents of the town, were his sons.
The pioneers of Weybridge were shorn of their rights to some extent,
rendering their surroundings and circumstances less fortunate than those
of many of their neighbors in the county, through the loss of considerable
of their lands, as before explained, which left them only about one hundred
and eighty acres to each share; but this fact was not allowed in any way
to detract from the energy and industry with which they set about improving
their homes. Details of the labors of the pioneers in this town are extremely
meager. We find in records of an adjourned meeting of proprietors, held
at Sheffield August 23, 1774, the following as the third vote: one hundred
acres, or thereabouts, be laid out to the right of Dr. Samuel LEE, where
one Thomas SANFORD now lives." This is the only recorded mention of the
first settler, and just when he came here is not known; he was from New
Jersey. Claudius BRITELL lived one year in Bridport before his settlement
in Weybridge. When he came here he purchased the lands of Thomas SANFORD
and occupied them probably in 1775 or 1776. SANFORD moved down the creek
and lived north of John CHILD's present dwelling house; this was his place
of residence at the time he was taken prisoner and carried to Quebec, as
narrated on a previous page. After the war he again settled on lands on
the west side of the creek, below the mouth of the Lemon Fair River about
half a mile.
The proprietors of Weybridge held a meeting on the 2d of February,
1762, and chose John PELL as their clerk. They met again on the 9th of
March, in the same year, and appointed town officers. From that time they
continued to meet either at Sheffield, or Great Barrington, or Salisbury,
for the transaction of their Weybridge business, until 1776. Their next
meeting was held in Bennington on the 15th of October, 1783, and adjourned
to Pownal January 8, 1784; adjourned thence to Bennington March 6, 1784
; adjourned to October 27, 1784, and again to June 1785.
The first proprietors' meeting held in Weybridge was October 2,
1786. Thomas JEWETT was chosen moderator; Joseph COOK, clerk; Samuel CLARK,
collector; Joseph COOK, treasurer; adjourned to meet at the house of Samuel
CLARK, in Weybridge, January 3, 1787. Another meeting was held at the dwelling
house of Samuel JEWETT, in Weybridge, September 9, 1788. At this meeting
it was voted one acre as a first division to each proprietor, and one hundred
acres to each proprietor as a second division. There was subsequently a
third division of about seven acres to each proprietor's right or share,
making about one hundred and eight acres in all, to each of the seventy
shares. The proprietors had much difficulty in learning how much of their
chartered premises was left to them, after the lines on the south and west
of the town were established; and there was more trouble to get the town
divided into lots and to secure good titles; this latter was finally accomplished,
mainly through vendue sales for taxes, executed by Zillai STICKNEY, the
first constable of the town. The first highway in the town was surveyed
by Joel LINSLEY on the I2th and 13th of September, 1784, and extended from
the Cornwall line to Otter Creek. The first school-house in the town stood
on the hill on the road to Middlebury, about two and a half miles from
that village; it was built in 1789-90. Weybridge was organized in 1789,
and the following officers elected: Samuel Jewett, town clerk; Zillai STICKNEY,
constable; Abel WRIGHT, Joseph PLUMB, and Joseph MCKEE, selectmen; Aaron
PARMALEE, justice of the peace. Two years after the organization (1791)
the first census of the town showed the population to be 175, which number
was increased in 1800 to 502. The pioneers in Weybridge, in common with
those of many other towns in the county, gave up the early years of their
labor to clearing their farms and cultivating the land as fast as it could
be made ready. The valuable timber was cut into lumber to a considerable
extent, the sale of which supplied one means of livelihood. Lumber was
drawn to distant markets, even as far as Troy, N. Y., previous to the opening
of the Champlain Canal in 1823, after which time a nearer market was found
for it, as well as for all other surplus products on the lake shore. An
account of the principal events connected with the War of 1812, as far
as they related to this vicinity, has been given in an early chapter and
in the history of Middlebury; it will, therefore, suffice to state that
the inhabitants of this town were not behind their neighbors in volunteering
to repel the expected invasion of the British. The abundant water power
existing in this town gave early prominence to various manufacturing enterprises
on Otter Creek. The earliest of these were, of course, various saw-mills
--- those prime necessities in the building up of new communities. The
first saw-mill in town was built on Belding's Falls in 1791, by Joseph
and Eleazer MCKEE. In 1794 David BELDING, Ebenezer SCOTT, and Asaph DRAKE
built a grist-mill at the same place. A year later a small furnace was
established by the same men, or a part of them; but it was not operated
for very long. Solomon BELL and his sons built, in 1793 or '94, a saw-mill
on the falls about a mile below Middlebury Falls (known as Weybridge Upper
Falls or Paper Mill Village). Dennis BELL operated this mill as early as
1800, and after his death it was carried on by William D. BELL, who is
still living; the mill was subsequently burned. Guy WOODRUFF, from Connecticut,
came here in 1804 and built a trip-hammer shop for the manufacture of scythes.
He also carried on blacksmithing in later years, to near his death in 1856.
The old building in which the trip-hammer was located is still standing
near the bridge. Early in the century Ira STEWART had an oil-mill at these
falls. It was owned later by Timothy FLANNAGAN, in whose hands it was burned
at the time of the destruction of the paper-mill. In the same building
were a grist-mill for grinding feed, and a candle-wick and cotton-batting
factory. Daniel HENSHAW built a paper mill here in early years; this was
burned, after being operated a number of years by Nathaniel GIBSON. Another
mill was erected a little farther up the stream by Jonathan WHEELOCK, who
ran it a number of years, when it suffered the fate of its predecessor.
He rebuilt on the same site, and this third mill was destroyed by fire.
All of these industries were on the Weybridge side of the creek, which
is at the present devoid of manufactures. A large pulp-mill is in operation
on the opposite side of the falls, of which a description has been given
in the preceding history of Middlebury. The manufacturing interests at
the Lower Falls will be noticed a little further on. These industries,
with the general success of the farming element in the town, sufficed to
give the community an advanced position in early years, which it has not
lost in later times, except in the decline of manufactures incident to
their centralization in large cities and villages. The farmers of the town
have joined in more recent years with their neighbors in this county in
the development of the sheep-breeding and wool-growing industry, and now
it forms the most prominent feature of the agricultural element. The growth
of this industry cannot be traced in detail, nor is it necessary; but among
those most conspicuous in it at the present time may be mentioned DRAKE
& CHILD (Isaac DRAKE and J. A. CHILD), L. Silas WRIGHT, L. J. WRIGHT,
A. J. STOW, Samuel JAMES and his son John A. JAMES, and J. B. CHERBINO.
G. E. CHILD is a dealer in sheep (not thoroughbred) and owns a ranch in
Colorado. All of these gentlemen, and others, have contributed largely
to the high reputation gained by Addison county as the foremost Merino
sheep-growing district of the country.
THE WAR OF THE REBELLION
The town of Weybridge contributed with characteristic patriotism
and liberality to the aid of the government, when it was threatened by
internal enemies. Money was voted in general accordance with the action
of other towns, for the payment of liberal bounties, and the quotas under
the various calls for volunteers were promptly filled. The following list
shows the enlistments from the town in Vermont organizations, as compiled
by the adjutant-general of the State.
Volunteers for three years credited previous to call for 300,000
volunteers of October 17, 1863:
A. AUSTIN, F. AUSTIN, W. E. BOGART, W. T. COLE, C. N. CRANE, C. N. DICKINSON,
E. E. GRINNELL, N. C. HAYES, T. M. HUNTER, L. D. HUNTLEY, O. L. HURLBURT,
W. B. HURLBURT, P. IRISH, G. D. JACKMAN, M. T, LAMSON, G. MCCUE, E. B.
PARKHILL, G. SHERBEVO, F. M. SHERMAN, D. STEELE, F. D. STURTEVANT, W. H.
STURTEVANT, C. THOMAS, H. H. WILDER, E. YERTER.
Credits under call of October 17, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers,
and subsequent calls:
Volunteers for three years. -- J. BOVIA, J. BURNS, jr., R. CURRIN,
J. LENO, J. H. LITTLE, E. MARTIN, A. MILLS, E. L. MOODY, S. C. STURTEVANT.
Volunteers for one year. -- G. BUTTERFLY, C. C. INGALLS, S. JOHNSON.
Volunteers re-enlisted. -- H. AYERS, E. E. GRINNELL, J. WALKER.
Enrolled men who furnished substitute. -- J. BOWDISH, J. CHERBINO.
Not credited by name. -- One man.
Volunteers for nine months. -- M. L. BOIES, A. J. CHILDS, E. H.
FISH, J. HODGES, W. HODGES, J. W. KINSLEY, S. P. MERRILL, jr., C. C. NICHOLS,
G. B. ROBBINS, N. P. SHERMAN, W. C. STURTEVANT, H. TYLER, M. L. WARNER,
B. N. WHITMAN.
Furnished under draft. -- Paid commutation, C. DODGE.
Procured substitute. -- J. A. CHILD, J. S. COLE, H. B. DODGE, L.
There is but one village in the town -- that located at the lower
falls on Otter Creek in the northern part of the town, and known severally
by that name and by the name of the town itself. A post-office has been
established here since before 1830, the first postmaster having been Orange
BRITELL, who received his appointment through the influence of Silas WRIGHT
while the latter was in Congress. Mr. BRITELL was succeeded by Cyrus L.
SPRAGUE, who served several years and was succeeded for a year or two by
his son, Madison SPRAGUE. Loyal HUNTINGTON is the present postmaster, but
the business of the office is managed by Martin E. SPRAGUE. The locating
of a village at this point may be credited to the existence of the excellent
water power here. Samuel MEEKER settled on the village site before 1797;
he was a Quaker, and the first settler here. He and his sons built a dam
across the creek, and a sawmill. Other Quakers located here, and the place
became quite generally known as "Quaker Village." Asa STAPLES settled here,
and Mr. WEEKS, early in the century. The old dam and mill of Mr. MEEKER
went to ruin long ago, and were succeeded by others. The saw-mill has been
operated by HAYWARD & ROSCOE (A. D. HAYWARD and E. M. ROSCOE) since
1870; they also carry on the creamery located here. Their mill cuts about
five hundred thousand feet of lumber annually and has a much greater capacity.
L. J. HALL owns the grist-mill. This was built in 1811 by Israel MARSH.
Mr. Hall has owned it about fifteen years; it is operated by George SNEDEN.
These gentlemen also carry on a mercantile business. Enoch SPRAGUE, a soldier
of the War of 1812, from this town, built the hotel here soon after the
close of the war and kept it many years. He was followed about 1840 by
Charles MOODY, who was in the house several years. Since that, various
persons have kept the house. Silas L. SPRAGUE, son of Enoch, was a merchant
here for nearly fifty years and one of the prominent citizens. He died
in December, 1879. At the time of his death he was a merchant of longer
standing than any other in Addison county. He built his store in 1840 and
also erected the "old red store" on the hill some sixty years ago. He also
ran the grist-mill and saw-mill for many years. Martin SPRAGUE, son of
Silas, began business as a merchant in 1881.
Present Officers of the Town -- John A. JAMES, town clerk; Isaac
DRAKE, assistant town clerk; J. A. JAMES, L. S. WRIGHT, Martin STURTEVANT,
selectmen; Isaac DRAKE, treasurer; Martin STURTEVANT, overseer of the poor;
E. H. FISK, constable; A. D. HAYWARD, E. W. MILLER, L. O. THOMPSON, listers;
E. S. WRIGHT, J. A. HARRINGTON, auditors; A. D. HAYWARD, trustee of surplus
fund; J. F. COTTON, G. L. HARRINGTON, town grand jurors; W. C. STURTEVANT,
Martin E. SRAGUE, Henry A. BOIES, fence viewers; H. B. HAGAR, inspector
of leather; Henry A. BOIES, inspector of wood, lumber, and shingles; G.
L. HARRINGTON, an agent for law-suits; W. B. HURLBURT, superintendent of
schools. There are six school districts and a school-house in every district.
Congregational Church. -- Religious services were held in this town
very soon after its organization and one of the first preachers here was
Rev. Joseph GILBERT. Rev. Mr. JOHNSON preached here and taught a school
as early as 1793. He was succeeded by Rev. Mr. FROST, who preached a year.
The first Congregational Church was organized on the 20th of June, 1794,
with fifteen members. In 1802, by the combined efforts of the society and
citizens, the first church edifice was erected at a cost of about $2,500.
Beginning with February 10, 1806,Rev. Jonathan HOVEY was settled over the
church until December 9, 1816. Others who have served the church as pastors
are Revs. Eli MOODY, Harvey SMITH, and Jonathan LEE. Rev. Prof. John HOUGH,
Rev. Prof. Wm. C. FOWLER, Rev. Prof. Albert SMITH, Revs. Benjamin LARABEE,
L. L. TILDEN, Jed. BUSHNELL, T. A. MERRILL, E. H. LYME, Prof. BOARDMAN,
and Samuel W. COZZENS and other have acted as stated supplies. There has
been no settled pastor for a number of years, the pulpit being supplied
largely by professors in Middlebury College. The first church building
was used until 1847-48, when the present structure was erected. The church
property has a value of about $5,000. The deacons are Samuel O. WRIGHT
and Samuel JAMES; Sunday-school superintendent, Mrs. H. B. HAGAR; membership
Methodist Episcopal Church. -- This society was organized by its
first pastor, Rev. Samuel COCKREN, with a class of thirty members, in May,
1805. From this grew a prosperous society, and in 1835 a neat church was
erected, costing $3,000. A portion of the time in later years no regular
pastor has been supported here. At the present time Rev. Elizabeth DELEVAN
Wesleyan Methodist. -- A church of this denomination was formed
here in 1843 with sixty-six members, and in 1847 a chapel was erected.
Regular services have been maintained here most of the time since, and
Rev. Mr. WRIGHT is at present in charge. The society is small.
Many of the inhabitants of this town, particularly in the southeastern
part, have found it convenient to attend the Methodist churches, which
as served to weaken the local organizations.
XXXVI, pages 712-722.
of the Town of Weybridge.
of Addison County, Vermont,
And Biographical Sketches
Of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers."
by H. P. Smith. Syracuse, N. Y.;
& Co., Publishers, 1886.
by Jan Maloy, 2002
Page for look-up offers concerning this town.