"This is a Green Mountain township, high and broken. It contains two large fish ponds, from which issue beautiful mountain streams. Here is fine fishing and delightful scenery . . . The settlement of this town was commenced about the year 1773, by William Barlow, from Woodstock, Connecticut. The Rev. Oliver Plympton was ordained over the Congregational Church in 1813, and died the next year." 

Gazetteer of Vermont, Hayward, 1849.

HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF PERU
By Hon. George K. DAVIS

      PERU, lying at the northeast corner of Bennington county, was chartered by Governor Wentworth on October 12, 1761, under the name of Bromley. It was to have contained by admeasurement 23,400 acres, but considerable more was allowed on account of the excess of mountains and unimproved lands. It is bounded north by Mt. Tabor, east by Landgrove, south by Winhall, and west by Dorset. This tract was to be divided into seventy-two equal shares, one to each proprietor, five hundred acres at the southeast corner to Benning Wentworth; one right for the society for propagation of the Gospel in foreign parts, one for glebe, one for the first settled minister in town, and one for schools. The eastern and southern parts of the town are thickly settled by thrifty though not extensive farmers. The soil consists of coarse loam and gravel, with a slight mixture of clay, especially productive and well adapted to the cultivation of oats, barley, corn, and potatoes. The pastures, especially those that slope to the south and east, afford sweet grazing for horses, cattle, and sheep. The western portion is mountainous, though not so rugged but that lumbermen can cut the timber upon every lot and find feasible routes to the different mills on the mountain side. This portion of the Green Mountain range forms a watershed so that the different streams flow east, south and north on their way to the ocean. There are two natural ponds in this town, Buffain's Pond in the northwestern part, and Mud Pond in the eastern part. The first is quite a curiosity on account of its elevation, and is noted for being the home of large trout; the second is a natural curiosity, as the water is not more than three feet deep, but the LONGest sounding line that has been used has failed to reach the bottom.

      The charter of the town required the grantor to cultivate five acres for every fifty in a limited time; also when fifty families were in town they might hold a fair, and have a market open two days in a week. Probably no white man had stood on the land at this time. There is no evidence that any one of the original grantors were ever in the town. Most of the first settlers came from Princeton, Westminister, and adjacent towns in Massachusetts, and some from the south part of New Hampshire. They were descendants of the immigrants from the south of England who landed at Salem. In the year 1773 William BARLOW, of Woodstock, made the first settlement. In 1778 the soldiers crossing the mountain to Manchester, on their way to the battle of Bennington, cut the first roadway through this township. In 1797 the original proprietors divided the town into lots of one hundred acres each. In 1800 there were but four families living in town, viz.: David STRATTON's, Aaron KILLAM's, Jonathan BUTTERFIELD's, and Reuben BIGELOW's. It was in this year that the first public road was surveyed through this town. In the years 1800, 1801 and 1802 the following named families moved into town: Benjamin BARNARD, Thomas WYMAN, a Mr. HOLT, Joel ADAMS, Josiah HAPGOOD, Isaac HILL, John Curtis, E. HURLBUT, David WHITE, and David COLSON. In the autumn of 1802 there were fourteen families residing in town. The first town meeting was held at the house of E. HURLBURT, who resided on the west side of the mountain. In 1803 the town was divided into two school districts, and for four years subsequently all the schools were taught in private houses. It was in this year that the first saw-mill was built. The first religious meetings were held in 1803 at the house of Reuben BIGELOW.

      In February, 1803, the governor's council, agreeable to a petition from the inhabitants of Bromley, changed the name of the town to Peru. It is said that Bromley had a reputation abroad of being a poverty stricken place, and that Peru was substituted on account of the reported mineral wealth of Peru in South America; and it appears to be a fact that soon after the change new settlers came into town quite rapidly. In 1805 a militia company was formed of which Peter DUDLEY was made captain.

      In 1807 the first school-house was built. It was used for town meetings, also for a church until 1816. In 1814 a turnpike road was built between Peru and Manchester, being selected as the most feasible route for crossing the mountains in the southerly part of the State.

      During the year 1814 a Congregational meeting-house was raised near where the Methodist Church now stands, in the middle of the town. It was not completed until 1816. As was the custom of the day the church was built after the old style of architecture, being a large two-story structure The body of the house was divided into apartments or pews, being finished with pine, and without paint. The pulpit was of gigantic proportions, being some twelve or fifteen feet high. This church was occupied until 1846. In after years the old church was sold to the town of Londonderry. Its framework was used for the building of a town house. In the meantime a small village had sprung up in the south part of the town, at which place a anew church was erected after a more modern style of architecture.

      The Methodist Society commenced building a church in 1831, but it was not finished until 1848. This church stands near the site of the old Congregational edifice. This society being of a limited number of members, the church has not been occupied but a small part of the time, and at present its members attend worship at Landgrove.

      Church Statistics. -- The Congregational Church was organized December 23, 1807, by Rev. Mr. FAIRLEY, of Manchester, and his delegate, Captain BURTON, Benjamin BARNARD, sr., and wife, Thomas WYMAN and wife, Seth LYON, sr., and wife, and William GREEN and wife joined the church at this time. There was no settled minister until 1813, missionaries and neighboring ministers officiating previous to that date. Thomas WYMAN and Seth LYON were elected deacons, and from the organization of the church, regularly as the Sabbath came, the people have congregated and held meetings, whether they had any preacher or not. The first settled minister was Rev. Oliver PLIMPTON, who commenced his labors the latter part of 1812, and was ordained December 28, 1813. Soon after his ordination he went to Wardsboro, intending to be married, but was taken sick there and died. After this several missionaries visited the place. Amos BINGHAM supplied the pulpit taro different times. In 1826 Mr. ROSSON supplied the pulpit. Then a Mr. HURD preached for a time, and during his ministration, by the assistance of Rev. Mr. MARTINGALE, from Wallingford, a large number united with the church. Mr. Boman BROWN succeeded Mr. HURD for a short time. In, 1835 Thomas BALDWIN, of Plymouth, was ordained and settled, and preached here ten years. The next pastor was Rev. S. S. SWIFT, who preached over two years. In April, 1848 Rev. Asa I. CLARK commenced preaching here. His labors extended over a period of ten years. He married Mary, daughter of Asa SIMONDS. Mr. CLARK was a classical scholar, conscientiously devoted to his work both in the church and among his people. Rev. R. D. MILLER commenced his pastorate in 1859 and was settled the same year. He remained for a period of four or five years, after which the following named ministers have supplied the pulpit from one to four years each: A. G. GATES, Asa F. CLARK, Scott, S. AMSDEN, Charles ROCKWELL, Charles SCOTT, S. L. VINCENT, T. J. CLARK, A. B. PEFFERS, and William R. DUGAN, the present pastor.

      Schools. -- In 1803 Reuben BIGELOW taught the first public school in Seth LYON's log dwelling house. James Grant was the next teacher, and taught several winter terms. The first school-house was built in 1807. It was a good sized, well finished house, convenient for schools and meetings. In 1821 three schools were taught in town. The average price paid to male teachers was eight dollars per month. The number of districts have increased so that at the present time there are seven.

      The first select school was taught in 1828. After that there was no select school until 1849. Since that time select schools have been well supported. The district schools compare favorably with those of surrounding towns. Many of the young people of the town availed themselves of the privilege of academic courses at Chester, Townshend, Ludlow and Manchester.

      Succession of Physicians. -- Horace BALLARD, R. Miles BIGELOW, Asa B. BROWN, William B. LINCOLN, Hiram Howard, Asa BIGELOW, R. B. BURTON, Mahlon PRIEST, James W. MARSH, Joseph WRIGHT, and Charles W. RAY.

      Industries. -- A large portion of the town being mountainous and heavily timbered by both hard and soft wood, the increasing demand for manufactured lumber and charcoal induced capitalists to erect saw-mills and coal kilns until at the present there are six steam and two water-mills in the town, and five of the steam and the two water-mills are engaged in the manufacture of lumber, and the other steam mill manufactures chair stock. There are ten brick coal kilns, which for ten years manufactured coal for BARNUM, RICHARDSON & Co., and C. S. MALTBY.

      The first store in town was kept by Warren WYMAN in 1816, who carried on business for a few months only. In the year 1830 J. J. HAPGOOD commenced mercantile business, and for about thirty years conducted the same personally. He then took into partnership his eldest son, and this firm continued until 1870, when they sold their stock of goods to T. K. SNOW & Co., of Troy N. Y.; who carried on the same one year. Soon afterwards David ARNOLD leased the store fur a term of years. In 1874, J. J. HAPGOOD formed a partnership with his son M. J. HAPGOOD, doing business under the name of J. J. HAPGOOD & Co. In 1875 J. J. HAPGOOD died. His son continued under the same firm name until 1885, when he sold to RICHARDSON & LEONARD. About 1860 William E. POLLY and WHITNEY & RUSSELL engaged in mercantile business for a short time but failed to make it a success. About the year 1875 J. P. & C. H. LONG opened a store in the north part of the town and continued in business for about six years.

      The first hotel in town was built on the summit of the mountain, and was kept by Jonathan BUTTERFIELD. It was afterwards known as the Leland Stand. This house continued open to the public until 1850. The brick hotel in the village (since 1870 known as the Bromley House) was built about the year 1822 by Russell TUTHILL. It was kept by various parties up to 1870. It was then purchased by George K. DAVIS, the present proprietor. During the summer season it is well patronized by people crossing the mountains for business or pleasure, and by parties from summer resorts in Manchester and Dorset.

      Personal Sketches. -- Reuben BIGELOW was born in Westminster, Mass., in 1775; married Abigail BROOKS and came to Peru in 1800. He was college bred; taught the first school, was the first representative to the State Legislature and held all the of offices of the town within the gift of the people. He raised a family of twelve children, two boys and ten girls, all of whom grew up. Mr. BIGELOW died in 1834, aged fifty-nine years. His widow lived in town until her death, September 1, 1857, aged eighty-one years.

      Deacon Thomas WYMAN came to Peru in February, 1801. He resided here until 1842, when he moved to Landgrove. He raised a family of eleven children, ten boys and one girl. His eldest son, Thomas jr., was the first male child born in town.

      Peter DUDLEY was born in Littleton, Mass., November 4th, 1773; married Lucy BARNARD in March, 1800; moved to Peru in 1801. He was captain of the first militia company formed in 1805, and was afterwards brigadier-general of the State militia. He raised a family of thirteen children, five boys and eight girls. Of these Peter and Stephen imbibed the military spirit of their father, Peter being made an officer before he became of age, while Stephen, like his father, became a brigadier-general.

      Aaron BYARD was born in Westminster, Mass., May 16, 1778; married Ann DUNSTER and moved to Peru in September, 1802. They raised a family of ten children, one boy and nine girls.

      In 1810 Jesse BROWN moved into the town. In 1860 he died at the advanced age of ninety three years. His son, Jesse, and his grandson, Asa, both live on the old homestead.

      In 1817 Moody ROBY settled in town. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. He lived for sixty years on the farm on which he first settled.

      Benjamin BARNARD, jr., was born at Westminister, Mass., March 19, 1783; came to Peru with his father, Benjamin BARNARD, sr., in March, 1800; married Rachel PHILBROOK in 1807. She lived but two years. In 1810 he married Hepsabeth, sister of Rachel, and raised a family of three boys and four girls. Stowell BARNARD, son of Benjamin, sr., married Mary BURTON, sister of Aaron BURTON and lived on the old homestead. They raised a large family, two boys and six girls.

      Joel ADAMS and wife came to town in 1804.

      Deacon David SIMONDS was born in Gardner, Mass., in 1776, came to Peru in 1803. He married Anna BYAM of Jaffrey, N. H., and raised a family of eleven children. One, Deacon Oliver P. SIMONDS, has always resided in town and held the offices of town clerk and postmaster in all more than forty years. Asa SIMONDS, brother of Deacon David, was born in Gardner, Mass., in 1790; married Sophia LYON of Princeton, Mass. They raised a family of twelve children.

      About the year 1807 three brothers, John, Edmund, and Israel BATCHELDER, came and settled in the north part of the town. They all raised large families. Many of their sons became prominent residents of the town; among whom were Ira K., Porter, Amos, Daniel and Charles, sons of Edmund; Edward and Dexter, sons of Israel; Mark and Edmund, sons of John; all of whom occupied leading positions in society.

      About the year 1808 Samuel, Josiah, and Joseph STONE came and settled in the north part of the town. Samuel and Josiah with their families moved West about the year 1833. Joseph remained and his two sons, Harvey and Hezekiah, and daughter, Leonor, now reside on the old homestead.

      About the year 1800 Seth LYON moved from Princeton. He was one of eight who organized the Congregational Church, and was chosen. one of its deacons.

      Among those who were early settlers or had lived in town marry years, we find by the records that fifty lived to be over eighty years old, quite a number who lived to be over ninety, and one centenarian, Mrs. Sarah KILLUM STILES, who died in 1868, aged one hundred and two years.

      In many parts of the town the scenery is delightful, especially so at the summit of the mountain on the turnpike leading to Manchester. It is two thousand feet above sea level. Looking south and east a grand panorama of nature is discernible. It is said by tourists that it excels in beauty and grandeur any scenery in the State from the same altitude. Looking southerly, Old Stratton, with her lofty dome, seems to stand as a sentinel over the vast basin of hills, dales, mountains, and woodland.

Succession of Town Officers.

        1802. -- Town clerk, John BROCK; selectmen, David WHITE, Aaron KILLAM, E. HURLBURT.

        1803. -- Town clerk, William POLLARD; selectmen, Moses HILL, John BROCK, Thomas WYMAN; representative, Reuben BIGELOW.

        1804. -- Town clerk, William POLLARD; selectmen, Reuben BIGELOW, Thomas WYMAN, John BROCK; representative, Ruben BIGELOW.

        1805. -- Town clerk, William POLLARD; selectmen, Reuben BIGELOW, Samuel COOPER, Elias BEBEE; representative, Ruben BIGELOW.

        1806. -- Town clerk, William POLLARD; selectmen, Aaron KILLAM, Seth LYON, Elijah SIMONDS.

        1807. -- Town clerk, Joseph FAIRBANK; selectmen, Joseph FAIRBANK, Peter DUDLEY, J. BRUCE.

        1808. -- Town clerk, Joseph FAIRBANK; selectmen, Joseph FAIRBANK, Peter DUDLEY, J. BRUCE; representative, Peter DUDLEY.

        1809. -- Town clerk, Joseph FAIRBANK; selectmen, Joseph FAIRBANK, Peter DUDLEY, J. BRUCE.

        1810. Town clerk, Joseph FAIRBANK; selectmen, Joseph FAIRBANK, Peter DUDLEY, J. BRUCE.

        1811. Town clerk, Joseph FAIRBANK; selectmen, Joseph FAIRBANK, Thomas WYMAN, John BATCHELDER.

        1812. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Reuben BIGELOW, Thomas WYMAN, John BATCHELDER.

        1813. Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, John BATCHELDER, Elijah SIMONDS, Israel BATCHELDER.

        1814. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, John BATCHELDER, Elijah SIMONDS, Israel BATCHELDER.

        1815. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Reuben BIGELOW, John BATCHELDER, Elijah SIMONDS.

        1816. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Reuben BIGELOW, John BATCHELDER, Elijah SIMONDS.

        1817. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Reuben BIGELOW, Elijah SIMONDS, Samuel STONE.

        1818. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Reuben BIGELOW, Samuel STONE, Josiah BARNARD.

        1819. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Reuben BIGELOW, Samuel STONE, Josiah BARNARD.

        1820. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Reuben BIGELOW, Samuel STONE, Seth LYON.

        1821. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Peter DUDLEY. Samuel STONE, Seth LYON.

        1822. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Peter DUDLEY, Samuel STONE, Josiah BARNARD.

        1823. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Josiah BARNARD, Thomas WYMAN, Seth LYON.

        1824. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Josiah STONE, Seth LYON, Thomas WYMAN.

        1825. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Seth LYON, Israel BATCHELDER, Josiah HAPGOOD.

        1826. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Seth LYON, Israel BATCHELDER, Josiah HAPGOOD.

        1827. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Daniel TUTHILL, Peter DUDLEY, Edmund BATCHELDER.

        1828. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Peter DUDLEY, Edmund BATCHELDER, B. BARNARD, jr.

        1829. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Peter DUDLEY, Edmund BATCHELDER, B. BARNARD, Jr.

        1830. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Benjamin BARNARD, Jr., Edmund BATCHELDER, Jr., F. BENNETT.

        1831. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Benjamin BARNARD, Jr., Edmund BATCHELDER, Jr., Frank BENNETT.

        1832. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Benjamin BARNARD, Jr., Reuben BIGELOW, Peter DUDLEY.

        1833. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Benjamin BARNARD, Jr., Reuben BIGELOW, Peter DUDLEY.

        1834. -- Town clerk, Reuben BIGELOW; selectmen, Benjamin BARNARD, Jr., Peter DUDLEY, James LINCOLN.

        1835. -- Town clerk, Russell TUTHILL; selectmen, Benjamin BARNARD, Jr., Peter DUDLEY, James LINCOLN; Samuel STONE elected delegate to Constitutional Convention.

        1836. -- Town clerk, Russell TUTHILL; selectmen, Peter DUDLEY, Nathan WHITNEY, Stillman LINCOLN; constable, Mark BATCHELDER.

        1837. -- Town clerk, Israel BATCHELDER; selectmen, Israel BATCHELDER, Jonas BENNETT, Amherst MESSENGER; constable, Mark BATCHELDER.

        1838. -- Town clerk, Israel BATCHELDER; selectmen, Jonas BENNETT, Amherst MESSENGER, J. R. WYMAN; constable, George BATCHELDER.

        1839. -- Town clerk, Thomas BALDWIN, jr.; selectmen, Benjamin BARNARD, Francis BENNETT, J. J. HAPGOOD; constable, George BATCHELDER.

        1840. -- Town clerk, Thomas BALDWIN, jr.; selectmen, Benjamin BARNARD, jr., Aaron BURTON, Joel LYON; constable, Stephen DUDLEY.

         1841. -- Town clerk, Thomas BALDWIN, jr.; selectmen, Benjamin BARNARD, Joel LYON, Freeman LYON; constable, Stephen DUDLEY.

         1842. -- Town clerk, Thomas BALDWIN, jr.; selectmen, Benjamin BARNARD, Aaron BURTON, Ezra DODGE; constable, Stephen DUDLEY.

         1843. -- Town clerk, Thomas BALDWIN, jr.; selectmen, James WAIT, Benjamin S. BALLARD, Ezra DODGE; constable, Freeman LYON.

        1844. -- Town clerk, Thomas BALDWIN, jr.; selectmen, James WAIT, Benjamin S. BALLARD, Ira K. BATCHELDER; constable, Freeman LYON.

        1845  -- Town clerk, Ira K. BATCHELDER; selectmen, Ira K. BATCHELDER, Ezra DODGE, George BATCHELDER; constable, Freeman LYON.

        1846. -- Town clerk, Ira K. BATCHELDER; selectmen, George BATCHELDER, Stephen DUDLEY, Cephas BAILEY; constable, George BATCHELDER.

        1847. -- Town clerk, Ira K. BATCHELDER; selectmen, George BATCHELDER, Stephen DUDLEY, Cephas BAILEY; constable, Francis P. BATCHELDER.

        1848. -- Town clerk, Ira K. BATCHELDER; selectmen, Jesse RIDER, Mark BATCHELDER, G. F. WHITNEY; constable, F. P. BATCHELDER.

        1849. -- Town clerk, Ira K. BATCHELDER; selectmen, Jesse RIDER, Aaron BURTON, G. F. WHITNEY; constable, F. P. BATCHELDER; representative. Ira K. BATCHELDER; delegate to Constitutional Convention, General Stephen DUDLEY.

        1850. -- Town clerk, Ira K. BATCHELDER; selectmen, Jesse RIDER, Edmund BATCHELDER, Stephen DUDLEY; constable, F. P. BATCHELDER; representative, Edward BATCHELDER.

        1851. -- Town clerk, Ira K. BATCHELDER; selectmen, Jesse RIDER, Edward BATCHELDER, Stephen DUDLEY.

        1852. -- Town clerk, O. P. SIMONDS [O. P. SIMONDS was town clerk from 1852 until 1869, and again from 1873 until the present time]; selectmen, Edward BATCHELDER, Aaron BURTON, Mark BATCHELDER; constable, F. P. BATCHELDER; representative, Mark BATCHELDER.

        1853. -- Selcctmen, Aaron BURTON, Mark BATCHELDER, Stephen DUDLEY; constable, F. P. BATCHELDER; representative, Mark BATCHELDER.

        1854. -- Selectmen, Aaron BURTON, Mark BATCHELDER, Stephen DUDLEY; constable, F. P. BATCHELDER; representative, F. P. BATCHELDER. 

        1855. -- Selectmen, Z. F. WHITNEY, J. G. MELENDY, Cephas BAILEY; constable, F. P. BATCHELDER; representative, F. P. BATCHELDER.

        1856. -- Selectmen, Ira K. BATCHELDER, J. P. LONG, J. HAPGOOD; constable, F. P_ BATCHELDER; representative, A. T. BYARD.

        1857. -- Selectmen, Ira K. BATCHELDER, J. P. LONG, J. HAPGOOD ; constable, F. 1'. BATCHELDER; representative, A. T. BYARD.

        1858. -- Selectmen, Ira K_ BATCHELDER, D. BATCHELDER, J. G. MELENDY; constable, F. P. BATCHELDER; representative, Dexter BATCHELDER.

        1859. -- Selectmen, Ira K. BATCHELDER, D. BATCHELDER, J. HAPGOOD; constable, F. P. BATCHELDER; representative, Dexter BATCHELDER.

        1860. -- Selectmen, Ira K. BATCHELDER, D. BATCHELDER, J. HAPGOOD; constable, Joseph SIMONDS; representative, Joel ADAMS.

        1861. -- Selectmen, Ira K. BATCHELDER, H. STONE, S. D. SIMONDS; constable, James LINCOLN; representative, Joel ADAMS.

        1862. -- Selectmen, Ira K. BATCHELDER, H. STONE, S. D. SIMONDS; constable, James LINCOLN ; representative, Edmund BATCHELDER.

        1863. -- Selectmen, Ira K. BATCHELDER, J. HAPGOOD, J. R. WALKER; constable, James LINCOLN: representative, A. G. BOWKER.

        1864. -- Selectmen, Ira K. BATCHELDER, J. HAPGOOD, Ira R. WALKER; constable, P. J. WALKER; representative, A. G. BOWKER.

        1865. -- Selectmen, Ira K. BATCHELDER, J. HAPGOOD, J. R. WALKER; constable, P. J. WALKER; representative, Edmund BATCHELDER.

        1866. -- Selectmen, Ira K. BATCHELDER, Jonathan HAPGOOD, Ira R. WALKER; constable, P. J. WALKER; representative, O. P. SIMONDS.

        1867. -- Selectmen, Jonathan HAPGOOD, Ira R. WALKER, George K. DAVIS; constable, P. G. WALKER; representative, O. P. SIMONDS.

        1868. -- Selectmen, Ira R. WALKER, G. K. DAVIS, J. H. SIMONDS; constable, M. B. LYON, representative, J. P. LONG.

        1869. -- Town clerk, C. W. WHITNEY; selectmen, Jonathan HAPGOOD, H. STONE, J. P. LONG; constable, Wesley WOODWARD; representative, J. P. LONG.

        1870. -- Town clerk, C W. WHITNEY; selectmen, Jonathan HAPGOOD, H. STONE, J. P. LONG; constable, James LINCOLN; representative, J. HAPGOOD.

        1871. -- Town clerk, C. W. WHITNEY; selectmen, J. HAPGOOD, H. STONE, J. P. LONG; constable, James LINCOLN; representative, J. HAPGOOD.

         1872. -- Town clerk, C. W. WHITNEY; selectmen, H. STONE, A. C. NOURSE, J. G. WALKER; constable, George K. DAVIS; representative, Hiram GRISWOLD.

        1873. -- Selectmen, A. C. NOURSE, J. G. WALKER, Charles BATCHELDER, constable, George K. DAVIS.

        1874. -- Selectmen, A. C. NOURSE, A. H. WILLIAMS, S. STILES; constable, George K. DAVIS; representative, Charles BATCHELDER.

        1875. -- Selectmen, H. STONE, J. HAPGOOD, J. C. LAKIN; constable, George K. DAVIS.

        1876. -- Selectmen, H. STONE, J. HAPGOOD, J. C. LAKIN; constable, George K: DAVIS; representative, W. B. SIMONDS.

        1877. -- Selectmen, J. G. WALKER, M. B. LYON, E. R. HART; constable, George K. DAVIS.

        1878. -- Selectmen, J. G. WALKER, M. B. LYON, E. R. HART; constable, George DAVIS; representative, George H. DAVIS.

        1879. -- Selectmen, E. R. HART, S. STILES, A. H. WILLIAMS; constable, George K. DAVIS.

        1880. -- Selectmen, S. STILES, A. H. WILLIAMS, George K. DAVIS; constable, George K. DAVIS; representative, M. J. HAPGOOD.

        1881. -- Selectmen, J. G. WALKER, G. K. DAVIS, J. C. LAKIN ; constable, J. B. SIMONDS.

        1882. -- Selectmen, J. G. WALKER, George K. DAVIS, W. B. SIMONDS; constable, J. B. SIMONDS; representative, J. G. VVALKER.

        1883. -- Selectmen, J. G. WALKER, W. B. SIMONDS, M. B. LYON; constable, M. G. WALKER.

        1884. -- Selectmen, J. G. WALKER, M. B. LYON, J. C. LAKIN; constable, M. G. WALKER; representative, J. G. WALKER.

        1885. -- Selectmen, J. G. WALKER; M. B. LYON, J. C. LAKIN; constable, George K. DAVIS.

        1886. -- Selectmen, J. G. WALKER, M. B. LYON, J. C. LAKIN; constable, George K. DAVIS; representative, J. C. LAKIN.

        1887. -- Selectmen, J. C. LAKIN, R. I. BATCHELDER, W. J, FARNUM ; constable, George K. DAVIS.

        1888. -- Selectmen, R. I. BATCHELDER, W. J. FARNUM, S. STILES; constable, George h. DAVIS; representative, M. B. LYON.

Postmasters

      The first postmaster appointed by the government was Reuben BIGELOW. He and his successors, Daniel and Russell TUTHILL, held the office up to 1836; from 1836 to 1839, Darius SMALLEY; from 1839 to 1849, O. P. SIMONDS; from 1849 to 1851, Dr. Cyrus HATCH; from 1851 to 1856, O. P. SIMONDS; from 1856 to 1870, L. B. HAPGOOD; from 1870 to 1871, T. K. SNOW; from 1871 to 1873, C. W. WHITNEY; from 1873 to 1583, George K. DAVIS; from 1883 to 1887, O. P. SIMONDS; from 1837 to the present time, George L. RICHARDSON.

Military Record

      Peter GOULD was a Revolutionary pensioner. Moody ROBY and Mrs. David ROBBINS were pensioners of the War of 1812.

      In the late rebellion Peru furnished the following named volunteers for three years, credited previous to call for 300,000 volunteers of October, 17th, 1863: ADAMS, Everett, E.; BARNARD, Benjamin S.; BATCHELDER, Harland F.; BENNETT, Schuyler; BOWKER, Wilber F., killed at Port Hudson May 27th, 1863; BRYANT, Clark R.; BRYANT, Warren S.; CROCKER, William H., killed at Port Hudson June 15th, 1863; HAPGOOD, Charles M.; LONG, Joseph M.; ODELL, Charles G.; PRIEST, Daniel M.; ROBBINS, Charles D.; RUSSELL, LYSANDER W.; SIMONDS, Frank P. (The last two were taken prisoners at Winchester, Va, afterwards ex changed, and were discharged at Fort Douglass, Chicago, Ill); STILES, Henry; WEYMOUTH, William S., died at Washington D. C., December 14th, 1861. Credits under call of October 17th, 1863, for 300,000 volunteers, and subsequent calls; volunteers for three years: ALLEN, Pardon W.; BENSON, Allen J., taken prisoner June 23d, 1864, died in prison; COLLINS, Levi W.; HOWARD, John T., wounded at the battle of Gettysburg; LAKIN, Thomas J.; LINCOLN. Clarence B.; QUACKENBUSH, John P., died at City Point, Va., April 29th, 1865; RUSSELL, Lauren A., died in Washington, D. C., winter of 1864; SIMONDS, Albert J.; WYMAN, Leroy, wounded and died in hospital October 14th, 1864. Volunteers for one year: BRYANT, Calvin R.; DAVIS, Leroy G.; GREEN, Richard; PENFIELD, William A.; PENFIELD, John W.; RUSSELL, Obediah; SHELDON, Charles F.; THOMPSON, Gilman, jr. Volunteers re-enlisted: WYMAN, Abel T. Volunteers for nine months: FARNUM, Joseph M., died; FRENCH, Jefferson; LAKIN, Jerome B.; MASON, Joseph H.; REED, Charles H.; STRONG, William C.; WYMAN, George B. Furnished under draft, paid commutation: BATCHELDER, James K.; SIMONDS, William B.; WALKER, Seth L.; WHITNEY, Josiah H.

      One incident is worthy of note in connection with this soldier's record. Royal BRYANT, a blacksmith, of this place furnished four stalwart sons for the Union army, three of whose names appear above. Leroy enlisted from Wardsboro, this State; was killed in battle near Chapin's Farm, Va., September 29th, 1864. His eldest son, George, was living in Texas at the time Fort Sumter was fired upon, and although he tried to get North and join the Union army he was captured, and forced to bear arms against his home and his four brothers. After peace was declared his next younger brother, Warren, went Texas anti found his brother George.
 

History of Bennington County, Vt.
With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers.
Edited by Lewis Cass Aldrich.
Syracuse, N. Y., D. Mason S Co., Publishers, 1889.
Chapter XXVIII. Page 458 - 468

Transcribed by Karima, 2004
Material provided by Ray Brown