OF THE TOWN OF
Barnet enjoys the distinction of having been the first town in
the county to receive a white settler. It lies in the southeastern
part of the county, upon the Connecticut river, in latitude 44º 19'
and longitude 4º 55',* and is bounded on the
northwest by Peacham and Danville, east by Waterford, southeast by the
Connecticut, and south by Ryegate. These bounds embrace an area of 25,524
acres. Ryegate was the first town in the county to receive a charter, and
eight days later, September 16, 1763, Barnet was chartered. The charter
deed, granted by the royal Governor of New Hampshire, Hon. Benning Wentworth,
does not differ materially from other charters of the time, as set forth
in other-chapters of this work, and in which the new township is described
and bounded as follows:
Beginning at the northwesterly corner of Ryegate, thence south
sixty-eight degrees east by Ryegate to the southeasterly corner thereof,
being a tree, standing on the banks of the westerly side of Connecticut
river, thence up said river as that tends; so far as to make six miles
on a straight line, thence turning off and running north twenty-eight degrees
west so far that a straight line drawn from that period to the northwesterly
corner of Ryegate, the bounds begun at, shall include the contents of six
miles square or 23,040 acres and no more, out of which an allowance is
to be made for highways and improvable lands by rocks, ponds, mountains
and rivers, one thousand and forty acres free, according to the plan and
survey thereof made by our said Governor's order and returned to the secretary's
office and hereto annexed." *As the whole county
is in north latitude, and longitude it reckoned east from Washington, the
words north and east will be omitted.
The other conditions of the grant are immaterial, because of no
present value except as a curiosity, for the Revolution swept away all
the royal restrictions, though the United States government confirmed the
On the Connecticut and Passumpsic rivers are extensive intervals.
The rest of the town is uneven and in some parts elevated. The town is
well watered and the soil very productive. Harvey's lake in the southwestern
part of the town is nearly a mile and a half long and more than half a
mile wide near the middle, and has a surface of more than three hundred
acres. Ross's pond, near the center of the town, a third of a mile long
and a quarter of a mile wide, covers about fifty acres. Moor's pond, near
the center of the town, covers about twenty acres. All the streams of the
town empty into the Connecticut. A stream from Ryegate enters Harvey's
lake at the south end, and Stevens river issues from the north end of the
lake, flows a southeasterly direction and empties into the Connecticut
river about two and a half miles from the southeast corner of the town.
About 150 rods from its mouth it falls eighty feet in twenty rods, and
presents a grand view when the water is high. A stream from Peacham enters
it near the lake and another considerable stream from the same town enters
it about four miles from its mouth. A small stream issues out of Ross's
pond and flows through Moor's pond and enters the Connecticut about a quarter
of a mile below the Passumpsic. Joe's river issues from Joe's pond in Danville,
and flows a southeasterly direction through the town, and enters the Passumpsic
about a mile and a half from its mouth. It is the largest stream
in Barnet except the Passumpsic, and is also called Merritt's river, because
John Merritt owned land near its mouth. Enerick brook, coming from Danville,
enters the Passumpsic about a mile above the mouth of Joe's river. The
Passumpsic, the longest and largest river in the county, comes from St.
Johnsbury through the corner of Waterford, enters the town in the northeastern
part, and gradually turns and flows south, emptying into the Connecticut
about two miles and a half from the northeastern corner of the town. Major
Rogers and his rangers came down this river from Canada in his expedition
to punish the St. Francis tribe of Indians in October, 1759, and being
disappointed in not receiving provisions when they came to the Connecticut,
a number of them died of starvation and fatigue, as related in the preceding
history of the county.
In 1880, Barnet had a population of 1,907 souls. In
1886 the town had fifteen school districts and sixteen common schools,
employing one male and twenty six female teachers, to whom was paid an
average weekly salary, including board, of $4.75 to the former and $6.59
to the latter. There were 441 scholars, 56 of whom were attending private
schools. The entire income for school purposes was $3,307.42, while the
whole expenditures were $3,406.56, with D.B. Locke, superintendent.
Barnet is a post, village situated on Stevens river, ten miles
from St. Johnsbury. At this point in the distance of a hundred rods the
river makes, a fall of over an hundred feet, affording splendid water-power,
which is utilized to a considerable extent. The village has a Presbyterian
church, good schools, two hotels, the Neillson House and "Traveler's Rest,"
also two livery stables. Its manufactures are fishing rods, children's
sleds, boxes, flour and feed, harnesses and tinware. Its merchants are
Henry E. Wilson, also, postmaster. W.H. Burbank, T.R. Stiles, R.M. Johnson;
A.S. Laughlin, jeweler. The physicians are T.R. Stiles and H.J. Hazelton.
It has a station on the Passumpsic railroad.
West Barnet is a post village five miles west of Barnet, its railroad
station. It has two general stores, a manufactory of butter boxes, camp
chairs, lumber and shingles, and a grist-mill. It has two Presbyterian
McIndoe's Falls is handsomely located in the valley of the Connecticut
river, near the south line of the town. It is the most populous and largest
business village in Barnet. It is connected with the village of Monroe,
N.H., by a bridge across the Connecticut river. It contains many fine residences,
which are mostly upon a wide and elegant street running up and down the
river. It is a post village, has a railroad station on the Passumpsic railroad,
one Congregational church, one hotel, one lawyer, and one physician. Its
manufactures are harnesses and lumber. George Van Dyke carries on a very
large lumber business, giving employment to two hundred men. His logs are
brought down the river by the spring freshets. He ships annually many million
feet of lumber. It has two general merchants, one grocery, and one milliner.
Mclndoe's Falls academy is a literary institution of merit.
Passumpsic is a post village in the northern part of the town on
Passumpsic river. It has a station on the Passumpsic railroad. There is
a church of the Baptist denomination, a large flouring mill run by E.T.
& H.K. Ide. The Passumpsic Pulp Co. have a large manufactory.
There are, three stores. It is a pleasantly located and thriving village.
East Barnet, a post village, was commenced by James McLaren, who,
settled here about the beginning of the century, and who, with his son,
erected and operated a saw-mill on the falls of the Passumpsic. When the
railroad was built a station was established here called “MeLaren's”
and the valuable water-power lead to the establishment of other manufactories.
Later, A. B. Norris engaged extensively in the manufacture of bobbins and
other turned work, and secured the establishment of a postoffice under
the name of “Norrisville,”Rev. Mr. Blanchard being the first postmaster.
Norris failed in business, the mills passed into other hands, and the postoffice
was called “McLaren's” for a few years, but about four years since became
“ East Barnet,” its present name. The village now contains a church (Congregational),
grocery store, postoffice, railroad station, fifteen or twenty houses and
the pulpmill of Wilder & Co.
J. F. Mulliken's circular saw-mill, off road 27, was build by John
and John F. Mulliken about 1855, and has been owned by the present proprietor
ever since, with the exception of two years. He does custom work, sawing
200,000 to 600,000 feet of rough lumber and shingles per year.
Hunter & Jenkins's grist-mill at Barnet village, was purchased
by them in August, l886, succeeding Robie & Burbank. The mill does
custom and merchant work, has three runs of stones, with a capacity of
grinding 500 bushels of grain per day.
George Van Dyke has at McIndoe's Falls the largest lumber manufactory
establishment in the northern part of Vermont. He employs an average of
eighty hands, turning out 15,000,000 feet of lumber annually.
Wilder & Co. carry on the manufacture of wood pulp at East Barnet.
The mill was established by J. G. Moore, of Lisbon, N.H., in 1880. There
are two large grinders, and three cylinders. They employ eleven men, and
produce 906 tons of pulp annually.
Owen Somer’s saw-mill and shingle-mill, on road 57, is conducted
by water-power from a branch of Stevens river. It was first established
about thirty years ago, by James B. Stuart and brother, and turns out 300,000
feet of lumber and 700,000 shingles annually.
John F. Hardy carries on at Barnet village the manufacture of carriages,
a general blacksmithing business, and the sale of caskets and coffins.
He also has bending works for manufacturing sled runners, etc., and gives
employment to four hands. His factory is located on Stevens river, from
which he derives his power.
Howe & Bonett manufacture wood pulp at Barnet village. The business
was first established in 1880, by Gould & Somers. Their factory is
conducted by water-power from Stevens river, and their buildings are heated
by steam. They employ five hands, producing five hundred tons of pulp yearly.
Alexander Jack's steam dye works, on road 49, on Stevens river,
has a never failing water privilege. It was erected for the purpose of
tanning and dying sheep skins for carriage and parlor mats, for which he
has a patent process. The last few years it has been used in the manufacture
of hydraulic extractors and other machine work.
E.T. & H.K. Ide, of St. Johnsbury, have
a grist-mill at Passumpsic. The power is one of the best in Vermont and
is received from the Passumpsic river. The first mill was established by
Kendall & Potter nearly one hundred years ago. Timothy Ide, grandfather
to the present owners, purchased the property in 1813. He and his son Jacob
run the mill until his death, about 1837, when the latter carried on the
business for thirty years; and now his sons E. T. and H. K. are proprietors.
In October, 1883, the mill was destroyed by fire. A new mill has been erected
on the site, with a view of putting in machinery for making flour by the
roller process. They now grind large quantities of corn.
Ezra J. Roy's saw, shingle and lath-mill, on road 72, is run by
water-power from Jennett's brook. He employs five hands, and turns out
500,000 feet of lumber, 550,000 shingles, 30,000 lath, and 25,000 feet
of clapboards annually.
James E. Smith has a factory on road 57, near West Barnet, for the
manufacture of butter boxes, prints and general wood work. The factory
is on Stevens river, and gives employment to four men. The business was
started at the present location twelve years ago by Stuart & McMillan.
Bailey & Co. have a wood turning factory on Stevens river, one-half
mile from Barnet village. Their power is a combination of water and steam.
They manufacture wooden notions, and employ from fifteen to twenty hands.
John M. Randall's saw-mill is located on Joe's brook. The business
first carried on at the site was a foundry, where was manufactured the
"Moore" plow, or "Scotch" plow, by John and William Moore, about fifty
years ago. Mr. Randall now does only a custom sawing business, owing to
the scarcity of lumber in the vicinity.
The Passumpsic Pulp Company have extensive works at Passumpsic village
for the manufacture of wood pulp. The business was established in 1879,
by F. A. & G. F. Cushman. The works were burned in October, 1884, and
re-built the same year. The company now consists of A. C. Russell of Lowell,
Mass, president; George S. Cushing, of Lowell, secretary and treasurer;
and George F. Cushman, of Passumpsic, superintendent. The power is supplied
by Passumpsic river. They employ seven hands and turn out 1,500 tons of
J. P. Miller's grist mill, at West Barnet, does an extensive business
in both custom and merchant milling. It is conducted by water-power, supplied
by the outlet of Harvey's lake. Mr. Miller does a business of twenty thousand
The first settlement in the town and county was made March 4. 1770.
The first settlers were Daniel, Jacob and Elijah Hall, three brothers,
and Jonathan Fowler. The first house in the town and county was built by
the Hall's at the foot of the fall on Stevens river, on its north side.
The three brothers, and probably Jonathan Fowler, received gratuitously
from the proprietors one hundred acres of land each, to encourage them
in settling the town. Daniel Hall's lot was the farm where Claud and Robert
Somers first settled. Jacob Hall's lot included the meadows north of Stevens
river, and Elijah Hall's lot was north of Rider's farm. Jonathan Fowler
probably settled first on the north end or the McIndoe plain, and then
in the southwestern part of the town, in the Harvey tract. Sarah, daughter
of Elijah Hall, was the first child born in the town and county. She was
married December 27, 1787, to James McLaren, in the seventeenth year of
her age. She died at an advanced age, Barnet Fowler, son of Jonathan Fowler,
was the first male child born in Barnet, and probably in the county. The
Fowler family moved to Shipton, C.E., about 1810. Daniel Hall's wife was
the first person who died in town after its settlement. She was buried
in the graveyard at Stevens village. She was the mother of Dr. Abither
Wright, who was a physician here. Jacob Hall had but one son, Moses, to
whom he sold his farm, but they afterwards moved to Shipton. Daniel Hall
moved to St. Johnsbury, thence to Lyndon, and thence to Burke, where he
died, having been an early settler in four towns in this county.
The settlement gradually increased till the influx of settlers under
the Scotch company, as detailed in the sketch of Ryegate. The following
from the records gives the names of the early settlers:—
"Barnet, January 29, 1784: Now and formerly the persons
mentioned took the Freeman's oath: Peter Sylvester, Samuel Perie, James
Cross, Alexander Thompson, Stevens Rider, Elijah Hall, Walter Brock, James
Stuart, Samuel Stevens, John Merritt, James Orr, Daniel McFarlane, Jacob
Hall, Bartholomew Somers, James Gilchrist, Alexander Harvey, William Tice,
Hugh Ross, John McFarlane, Robert Twadell, William Stevenson, John McLaren,
Ezekiel Manchester, Robert Somers, John Waddell, Robert McFarlane, John
Ross, Andrew Lackie, Archibald Harvey, Peter Lang, Cloud Stuart, Walter
Stuart, Daniel Hall, Thomas Smith, and George Garland. January 29,
1784, the following gentlemen took the Freeman's oath in as far as it agrees
with the Word of God: John Waddell, Hugh Ross, John McFarlane, John McLaren,
Ezekiel Manchester, Robert Somers, Andrew Lackie, Archibald Harvey, Cloud
Stuart, Walter Stuart, and George Garland. Barnet, March 11, 1785, the
following persons took the Freeman's oath: John Robertson, William Robertson,
Moses Hall, Levi Hall, Robert Blair, James Buchanan, William Maxwell, Isaac
Brown, Elijah Hall, Jr., and Simon Perie. April 6, 1785: John Youngman,
William Warden, and Hugh Cammell. August 27, 1785: Joseph Bonet. September
5: John Mclndoe, John Hindman. 1787: John Gilkenson. May 1: John Goddard:
September 4, 1788: Enos Stevens. March 11: John Rankins, William Gilfillan,
Sr., John McNabb, James McLaren, and Andrew Lang. February 2, 1789: Alexander
McIlroy, Samuel Huston. March 10: Thomas Hazeltine, Phileas Aimes, Phineas
Thurston, Oliver Stevens, Ephraim Pierce, Moses Cross, Job Abbott, and
Levi Sylvester. February 4, 1790: Aaron Wesson, Dr. Stevens, John Mitchell,
John Stevens, Timothy Hazeltine, Cloud Somers, and John Galbraith. September
24: Joseph Hazeltine. December 7: Thomas Gilfillan, William Innes, John
Waddell, Jr., and William Lang."
In 1790 the population had increased to 477 souls. The subsequent
growth of the town is shown by the census table for the county on another
By the terms of its charter, the town's first meeting for the choice
of officers was to be held on the first Tuesday of October, 1764. This
meeting was held accordingly, but no record of its transactions is left,
as indeed may be said of all subsequent meetings down to that of March
18, 1783. The records down to this date, it is claimed, were lost, how
tradition saith not. At this meeting, however, where the present town records
begin, the following officers were elected: Alexander Harvey, president;
Walter Brock, clerk; James Gilchrist, Thomas Smith, and Bartholomew Somers,
selectmen; James Orr and Stevens Rider, constables; James Cross, treasurer;
James Stuart and Peter Sylvester, listers; John McLaren and Jacob Hall,
collectors; James Gilchrist, grand juror; Peter Lang and Robert Brock,
tithingmen; James Stuart, sealer of weights and measures; Alexander Thompson,
William Rider and Archibald Harvey, road surveyors; Elijah Hall and George
Garland, fence surveyors. Alexander Harvey also was the town's first representative.
The first justices of the peace appointed by the state were Walter Brock
and James Gilchrist. Col. John Hurd, of Haverhill, N.H., built the first
saw and grist-mill in the town and county, in 1771-72. It was located on
the “falls of Stevens river.”
Col. Alexander Harvey was sent out by a syndicate of farmers of
Dundee, Scotland, to locate lands for them in this country. In 1775 he
located probably 7,000 acres of land in the southwest part of this town,
including Harvey's lake. Owing to the breaking out of the Revolution, many
who had been sent out by him and located lands never came to settle them,
and all communication between those who did come and their friends in Scotland
were cut off. Col. Harvey married Jannette, daughter of Walter Brock,
who settled here in 1776. They had a family of sixteen children, thirteen
of whom lived to grow up, of whom Isabel, born November 21, 1798, married
Alexander Brock, and is the only one now living. She resides with her daughter,
Mrs. John C. Welch, in the village of Barnet.
Claudius Stuart came from Scotland and settled on the hill north
of West Barnet about 1775. He had been a soap and candle chandler in Glasgow,
was sixty-two years of age, married, and had a large family when he came
to this country. Two of the sons were drowned in the Connecticut river,
just below McIndoes Falls. They were ferrying across the river when their
horse became restive and backed the wagon into the stream. Alexander succeeded
his father on the farm, and was followed by his son William, whose sons
William and George, and daughter, Abbie H. now occupy the old homestead.
Walter Brock came from Scotland and settled on road 54, near West
Barnet, in 1776. He brought his wife with him from Scotland, she being
a Stuart, who were also among the first settlers of the town. They reared
a family of ten children. He was the first town clerk of Barnet, and was
also a general merchant at West Barnet, and built the first grist-mill
and first saw-mill in town, at the outlet of Harvey's lake. William S.
Brock, a grandson of Walter Brock, was a farmer on road 39. He married
Mary S., daughter of James and Sarah (Stevens) Wright, she being a descendant
of one of the first settlers, from whom the present village of Barnet was
first named Stevens Village, and also a river which run through the town
derives its name from the same family. William and Mary Brock had a family
of eight, six of whom are still living, of whom Maynor D. married Emma
M. Lovering, of Lynn, Massachusetts. He was a clerk in a. store in Boston
previous to the late war, in which he enlisted in Co. F., 15th Vt. Vols.
Infantry. During the war he received injuries, which has rendered him an
invalid for life. Leonard W. and William S. also enlisted in the same company,
William S. being at the time only eighteen years of age. James W. enlisted
in the 2nd Vt. Regt. Lucius S. was drafted into the service in 1863. Thus
from one family were five sons engaged in their country's service. Sarah
W. married A. B. Trussell, of Hamilton, Mass: Lucius S. married Jennie
Smith, of Passumpsic. Leonard W. married Etta Wolcott, of North Conway,
N.H. William S. married Jennie Stanley of this town. He carries on a large
bottling business, and keeps a hotel called the "Travellers Rest."
James married Sarah E. Wells, of Waterbury, and is a resident of Montpelier,
and, until recently, of the firm of Lane, Pitkin & Brock, manufacturers
of portable saw-mills. William S. Brock's brothers were Walter, Joel, Harvey,
Charles and Isaac. His sisters were Mary and Jeanette.
William Stevenson and James Cross came to this town together in
1776, emigrating from Scotland. Each took up one hundred and fifty acres
of land, drawing their lots from the tract of 7,000 acres located by Colonel
Harvey in 1775. These lots adjoined on road 48, William Stevenson married
Jeannette McCormick, a native of Scotland. They had a family of four children,
of whom one daughter died in infancy. William, Jr., is the only one of
the family now living. He married Janette Gilfillan, of this town, and
has reared a family of eleven children, eight of whom are living, viz.:
William M., Thomas, James, Margaret, who married William McLaren, and Mary,
reside in this town, and John H. and H. M., in Ryegate. Robert lives in
Peacham. The elder William is still living, at the age of eighty years,
on a farm on road 82.
William Stevenson, a native of Scotland, came to this town at quite
an early date, with his wife and family of ten children, and settled on
a farm on road 44, where he resided until his death. None of the family
settled in the town except William, the youngest son, who occupied the
old homestead. He married Margaret Gray, a daughter of parents who emigrated
from Scotland to Canada, and came to this town in 1844. William reared
a family of eight children, all of whom are living. Fred is a graduate
of Gaskell's business college, and resides at Bridgeport, Conn. Annie
married Charles Priest, overseer in Moen & Washburn's wire factory
at Worcester, Mass. George and Frank live in Lowell, Mass: Mary and
Maggie live with their mother. Justin and Charles carry on the old homestead.
Mrs. Stevenson's father served through the late war, and her only brother
died from sickness in the early part of the war, after a year's service.
William Stevenson died very suddenly, April 15, 1885.
William Warden came to this town from Greenock, Scotland, in 1784,
and located on the farm now occupied by Horace J. Warden. James, his son,
who occupied the old farm after his father's death, for many years, married
Elizabeth Gibson, of Ryegate, a descendant of parents who came from Scotland,
she being a native of that country. They had a family of thirteen, ten
of whom lived to be men and women, and four are now living, viz.: Elizabeth
married Elisha Peck; of St. Johnsbury, who claimed to have helped to finish
the first set of scales the Fairbanks Co. ever built, and who died in June,
1883. Marion married Henry C. Phelps, of Remington, Ind. Jane married Elijah
Harvey, now deceased, and lives at Atchinson, Kansas. Andrew married
Lydia B. Peters, of Haverhill, N.H., a native of Ryegate, and they have
six children, four sons and two daughters. He is a large farmer on road
21, near Joe's brook. William bought lot No.146, January 19, 1785, paying
therefor ninety-five "Spanish Milled Dollars." He brought with him from
Scotland his wife, Isabel Laird, and three sons and three daughters. His
son James occupied the farm during his lifetime, being succeeded by his
son William, who married Isabel Nelson, of Monroe, N.H. They had three
sons and five daughters. The youngest daughter, Alice, died at the age
of sixteen, in 1875. Robert, the eldest son, is a farmer in Iowa. Elizabeth
J. married Amos Somers. Cynthia A. married William Gleason. Mary
A. lives with her mother at South Peacham. Horace J. occupies the old homestead.
He married Maggie M. Dole, of Danville. Albert W. is a physician in New
York city. Abbie A. resides with her mother at South Peacham. Horace
Worden has a relic of interest in his possession, a two-dollar bill of
the Manufacturers' and Mechanics' Bank of Boston, Mass., issued April 29,
1814. The paper on which it is printed is of fine texture. C. Adams was
cashier, and John Bellows, president.
James Buchanan came to this town from Drummond, Stirlingshire, Scotland,
in 1784 and located on road 71. His brothers, Henry, Alexander and
Peter also settled in the east part of the town. He married Elizabeth Hurd,
of Rochester, N.H. They had eleven children, eight of whom lived to manhood
and womanhood, viz.: Elizabeth married Benjamin Rollins, and after his
death Levi Stockbridge; Anabel married Joshua Rollins, of Alton Bay, N.H.;
Margaret married James Miller, a native of Scotland who removed from
that country to Demarara, South America, and afterwards to this town,
both of whom died at Greensboro, Vt.; Rebecca married Benjamin Glines,
of Greensboro; Jennet married James McLaren, of this town, both dying in
Greensboro; Peter married, first, Lucinda M. Dickinson, of Monroe, N.H.
second, Betsey Blanchard, of Greensboro, Vt. and third, Sarah A. Weed,
of Topsham, Vt., with whom he is now living. He has been engaged in farming,
most of his life and has held various town offices, being one term representative
of Barnet in the state legislature, and was twice elected assistant county
judge of Caledonia county, and is now a resident of McIndoes Falls; Hannah
married Thomas Hastie, and lived and died in Barnet; James, Jr. married
Delight Scott, of Greensboro, Vt. Peter Buchanan had eight children, six
of whom lived to grow up, and four of whom are now living, viz.: John E.,
in Kansas; Edmund H., in Iowa; Peter M., in California; and Anna E., wife
of Dr. Albion S. Marden, of Danville. Peter has in his possession a brass
clock which his father brought from Scotland. It was manufactured in 1806,
and has run almost constantly since that date. He recently refused an offer
of $150.00 for it.
Alexander Roy came from Glasgow, Scotland, to this town in September,
1785. He worked a year here for a Mr. Galbraith, also a Scotchman, to pay
his passage money to this country. He married, first, Lois Fuller, who
died at the birth of her first child, and second, Sarah Hurd, of Rochester,
N.H. They had a family of four sons and two daughters, as follows: One
daughter died in infancy; Rebecca, widow of Dudley Nutter; James, born
in May, 1800; Nathaniel, born in September, 1802; William, born June, 1805;
and Joseph, born in 1808, all living in this town, except William, who
resides in Chelsea, Mass. Nathaniel Roy married Margaret Gilfillan, a native
of this town, whose father came from Scotland in the same vessel with Mr.
Roy's father. They have had a family of eight children, four of whom are
living. Joseph W. married Carrie Eggleston, of Groton. John is carrying
on a milk business in San Francisco. Nathaniel H., has been a resident
of California twenty-three years. Jane married Moses Buchanan, and lives
in Newbury. Nathaniel Roys' grandfather, Truston Hurd, cleared the farm
on road 72, now occupied by Nathaniel and his son, Joseph W., an hundred
years ago. He occupied the farm his lifetime, dying at the age of ninety-four
years. His wife died at the age of eighty-nine. Mr. Hurd's father was killed
by the Indians at Dover, N.H. On Mr. Roy's farm is standing one of
the oldest houses in the town, built about 1780. It is a one-story framed
building, all the timber of oak. The nails are all hand-made and are sought
Rev. David Goodwillie built the house now occupied by William B.
Gibson, on road 41, in 1790, It is the second oldest habitable house in
town. On its walls was hung the first wallpaper ever put on a house in
town. On this farm, also, was laid the first lead pipe to convey water
in the town, and it is still in good condition, after having been in constant
use for more than sixty years. The flow of water through this pipe has
never been stopped but once. Rev. David Goodwillie was the first settled
pastor in town. As an inducement to settle, the town gave him 200 acres
of land, and on one fifty acre lot of this land this house was built. The
other 150 acres were located in different parts of the town, and were sold
for his benefit. He was pastor of the Barnet Center church forty years,
and was succeeded by his son Thomas who also preached forty years. This
is a remarkable record. A father and son pastors of one church for eighty
years, perhaps without a parallel in the United States.
Robert Gilfillan, from Scotland, came to Barnet in 1794 and settled
on road 62. He had married in his native country Jean McIndoe, and they
reared a family of twelve children, all of whom lived to manhood and womanhood.
Four only are now living: Robert is a farmer at Peacham; Archibald and
Nancy reside on the old homestead; Jane married Alexander Blair, and is
now a widow; John married Zerviah W. Carpenter, of Waterford. They had
a family of eight, five of whom are living: Jonah in California; HenryA.
married Maggie Morrison, of this town and is a farmer on road 47; William
L. married, first, Vienna Aiken, and second, Ruth Bailey, of Peacham, and
is a farmer on road 48; Helen married Hiram O. Marsh, of Concord, N.H.;
Hannah lives with her brother, William L.
Duncan Harvey and Isabel, his wife, came from Scotland about 1800,
and settled near the center of the town. They raised a family of four sons
and four daughters, none of whom are now living. Ason married Phebe Hight,
whose parents came to this town from Connecticut. They had five children—four
daughters and one son—only two of whom are living, Helen D. who married
Walter P. Phelps, a farmer in this town; and Daniel, who married Emily
L. Bartlett, from Johnson: The latter has five children; three sons and
two daughters, and is a large farmer on road 36.
Andrew Lindsay came to this town, from Greenock, Scotland, in 1801,
a single man, about twenty-seven years of age. In 1808 he married Christina
Galbraith, whose father, John Galbraith, came here from Scotland before
the Revolutionary war, staying in this country until after the war closed
and then returned to Scotland. Andrew Lindsay had four children who lived
to maturity. When they had a family of four children, all were attacked
with spotted fever, a terrible scourge which raged here in 1816, and three
of them died. John G., the oldest, settled in the Province of Ontario,
and died there. James M., married Amoret Johnston, of this town, and settled
in Greensboro, where he now lives. Margaret C. married John Somers, who
removed to Greensboro, and both died there. Peter married Margaret Lang,
of this town, whose father, Andrew Lang, came here from Scotland in 1784,
and her mother was a Johnston, born in Ryegate. They have seven children,
viz.: Andrew O., who is in California; William married Mary Jane Judkins,
of Danville, and is a farmer on road 20; Fenton H., a farmer and cattle
dealer in California; Peter J., a miner in Colorado; Eveline married E.
R. Hoyt, who lives at Durango, Colorado; Mary C. married James L. Judkins,
a native of Danville, a carriage maker at South Peacham; Margaret J. married
Frank E. Sproat, of Norwich, and now resides at Lowell, Mass.
Langdon Kendall was born in Barnet, in 1809. When one year old his
parents removed to Bradford and when seventeen years of age he returned
to this town and learned the cabinet maker's trade, in the shop of Darius
Harvey. In 183l he bought the shop and business of Mr. Harvey and carried
on the same for a number of years. He sold the business to Nathaniel Hazelton,
and the factory exchanged hands a number of times, until Smith & Gilbert
purchased it and carried on the business of manufacturing rakes, axe handles
and wooden measures. For many years Mr. Kendall traveled for Messrs. E.
& T. Fairbanks & Co. He married Louisa Woods, a native of this
town, And they have had a family of five children, of whom are now living
Mahala, who married J. D. Goold, of Passumpsic; Minerva married Henry Bruce,
also of this town, Louisa married A. J. Miller, of Lunenburg; Milo lives
at St. Paul, Minn., and Cyrus L. lives at Los Angeles, California.
Hugh Somers was born in this town June 21, 1810, and always lived
here, with the exception of two years spent in Peacham. He was a gunsmith
by trade, and manufactured rifles and telescopes in a factory on Joe's
brook road. He at the same time carried on farming. He married Martha Sanderland,
of Barnet, whose parents came from Scotland and were among the early settlers
of the town. Hugh Somers's father and mother were also early settlers of
the town, from Scotland, who cleared the farm on Joe's brook, mentioned
above, in 1801. Hugh had a family of two children, a son and a daughter
— Emily, married William Lester, of Lisbon, N.H., and both now deceased;
Cumings married Jane Samuel, a native of Scotland. He is a farmer near
the village of Barnet, on road 44. They have three sons, Burton W., Chester
L., and Harligh A.
William Carrick was born in this town, June 13, 1814. His father
was a native of Scotland and came here in 1801, from that country. His
mother was Jane Somers, a native of Barnet. William, who has always
pursued farming, married Dorcas Wilson, also of this town, and they have
had a family of seven children, only one of whom is now living. Bruce,
born in 1856, attended school at St. Johnsbury with a view of entering
college, but his plans were frustrated by sickness in 1878, which terminated
in his death. Frank, at the age of twenty-one years, was thrown from a
carriage and received injuries from which he died in February, 1882. Fred
P. was born in 1862 and is now living. Burns died at the age of one year,
and the three others all died in infancy.
Bartlett S. Bard was born in Barnet, May 9, 1815. He was a spinner
and worked at that trade about twelve years. He has also learned the trade
of carpenter and joiner. He married Sarah A. Harriman, a native of Danville,
and they had three sons and one daughter. At the breaking out of the rebellion,
in 1861, he, with his three sons, Harrison K., Charles F., and Oscar L.,
enlisted in Company D, First Vermont Cavalry. Mr. Bard, Charles and Oscar
were discharged on account of sickness. Harrison K. served through the
war and lost his leg from a wound received at the battle of Gettysburg.
He is now a pensioner.
Loren Kinney was born in Waterford, in 1805. His life was spent
there until his marriage, in 1827, to Emeline Holbrook, of Waterford. The
same year he removed to this town and located on a farm of five hundred
acres on road 11, where he resided until his death in February, 1884. His
son, Henry C., succeeded his father on the farm. He married Alice Farnsworth,
a native of Haverhill, N.H., in October, 1876, and died March 30, 1885,
at the age of thirty-eight years, leaving two children, a son and a daughter.
Cloyes W. Gleason, M. D., was born in Barnet, Caledonia county,
Vt., May 14, 1821. His father, William Gleason, was born in Framingham,
Mass., July 24, 1774, and married Ruth Cloyes October 8, 1799 and moved
to Barnet, Caledonia county, Vt., in 1803, and died there November 6, 1861.
His father and mother were among the direct descendants of Thomas Gleason,
who took the oath of fidelity at Watertown, Mass., in 1657, and died in
Cambridge, Mass., in 1684, and of John Cloyes, who was a mariner by profession
and settled at Watertown, October 31, 1639, and was killed by the Indians
in 1676. Both of these early colonial settlers left numerous descendants,
who lived in Cambridge, Watertown, Sudbury, Natick and Framingham, and
other towns near Boston. Some of these descendents' names are found in
colonial records of Massachusetts as taking important parts in public affairs,
and others were officers and soldiers in the early French and Indian wars,
and also in the war of the Revolution. Among the native citizens of Framingham
and Watertown, who served during the war of the Revolution, are recorded
the names of Capt. John Gleason and Capt. Micaja Gleason, and also Capt.
Peter Cloyes and Capt. Elijah Cloyes.
"Island Side Farm," the present summer residence of
Dr. Gleason, contains about 500 acres of land, part of which was inherited
from his father, and the balance was added by purchase. It is composed
of two beautiful islands in the Connecticut river, containing about sixty
acres of very fertile land, a portion of which is subject to annual overflows,
which greatly enrich the soil and perpetuate its fertility, so that it
still produces fine crops of grass, though it has not been plowed or cultivated
for nearly one hundred years. The balance of the farm is about equally
divided into meadow and pasturage. The soil is clay-loam, and is now under
a high state of cultivation and produces superior crops of grain and grass,
and is in a rapid state of improvement. When this farm first came into
the hands of Dr. Gleason, in 1875, the land of which it is now composed
was in a low state of cultivation, and the buildings old and inferior.
Two of the houses and barns were among the first erected in Caledonia county.
Four new barns have been constructed with all of the best known conveniences
and modern improvements for successful stock raising and feeding. One of
these barns is 150 by 45 feet, built over a cellar shed, with stables for
100 fat steers. Another, 50 by 75 feet, also built over a cellar shed,
with stables for 100 calves. One for horses and colts, 50 by 45 feet, and
three other barns for storage of hay and fodder, on the islands, etc. These
barns measure, collectively, about 500 feet in length, and 45 in width.
Those designed for stock are all double-boarded with good hemlock or spruce
lumber, planed, matched, and grooved, and are made as nearly frost-proof
as possible, the proprietor fully believing that hemlock boards at $7.00
per thousand are cheaper to keep stock warm than fodder and grain at $15.00
to $25.00 per ton. All of the stables at Island farm are so constructed
that the temperature in the coldest weather outside is never allowed to
go below from 50 to 60 degrees inside, and consequently very little food
is consumed to produce animal heat. The feeding of stock, care, and application
of manures and other departments of farming, are carried on by Dr. Gleason
on scientific and practical principles.
Dr. Gleason has returned to New England, after an absence of more
than forty years engaged in the practice of his profession in a distant
city, because he loves and cherishes the land of his nativity and wishes
to demonstrate that an old New England farm may, by skillful treatment,
be restored to fertility, equal to any land south or west, and all who
feel interested in a new and improved system of agriculture and stock feeding
are cordially invited to call at Island Side farm and see the results and
judge for themselves the value of his experiments and methods.
William E. Peck was born here March 24, 1833. His father was a native
of Lyndon, and his mother, Sophia, daughter of John Woods, was a native
of this town. William, in August, 1853, engaged in a general mercantile
business at Passumpsic village, which he continued until 1866, when he
engaged in the same business at St. Johnsbury, in company with Emerson
Hall, under the firm name of Hall & Peck. After three years he removed
again to this town, and, under the name of Peck & Hall, engaged in
buying and selling horses, having headquarters in Boston until 1884. He
is now farming on road 14. Mr. Peck is president of the Merchants' National
Bank at St. Johnsbury, and postmaster at Passumpsic. He represented Barnet
in the legislature of 1878. He married Josephine Hazelton, a native of
Corning, N.Y., January 6, 1858, who died February 4, 1877, leaving five
children, — George W. and Arthur J. are at home with their father, Charles
E. succeeded his father in the mercantile business at Passumpsic, which
he now carries on;. Ida M. and Kate D. He married, second, Mary J. Talbot,
of Boston, Mass., who has a family of one son and two daughters.
John Samuel was born in Paixley Parish, Renfrewshire, Scotland,
in 1807. He married in Scotland, Jane Walker, who bore him three children,
and died in 1841. In 1842 he removed to this country, settling in Barnet,
and has resided in this town since that date. He married for his second
wife Elizabeth A. Gill, a native of this town. His son James died in this
town September 7, 1865. aged thirty years. Jannet married Clavius Somers,
a farmer in Barnet. Jeannie married Cumins Somers, also a farmer in this
Thomas McKindley was born in Ryegate, July 26, 1809, and lived there
with his parents until twenty-eight years of age. He came to Barnet in
1837 and lived on a farm in the southwest part nearly twenty-five years,
when he located at his present home on road 75. He married Joanna Mills,
daughter of David Mills, of Topsham. She died in March, 1881. They had
three children, viz.: Horace D. married Maria Coler, of West Barnet, where
he now resides; Lizzie J. married William J. Caldwell, and resides with
his father; Lucy A. married Peter McLaughlin, a merchant at South Peacham.
Isaac M. Smith was born in Lyman, N.H., May 1, 1830, where he resided
on a farm with his parents until twenty-three years of age. In 1853 he
went to San Francisco, where he engaged in the business of furnishing families
with water, remaining there until 1861, when he returned to New Hampshire,
married Julia Warden, of Bath, and settled at McIndoes Falls in the spring
of 1862, where he has since resided. He has a farm of seventy acres which
he conducts, and has also done a large amount of other business. He was
appointed deputy sheriff in 1865, and has held that position since that
date, excepting in 1870 and 1872, when he was high sheriff of Caledonia
county, He has been constable and collector of Barnet most of the time
since 1865. In 1868 and 1869 he represented Barnet in the state legislature.
For three years he was selectman of this town, and has held various other
minor offices. He has two children living, Charles I., born in 1865, and
Mabel J., born in April, 1874. Christie A. was born November 18, 1862,
and died November 19, 1879. Harley N., died in April, 1869, at the age
of three years and nine months.
Willard Hoyt, now eighty-six years of age, is living with his son,
Hubbard H., on road 8. He was born in Craftsbury in 1800. He resided many
years in the town of Jay, in this State, going there when the country was
new. In 1868 he removed to this town and located at the place of his present
residence. He married, first, Sarah Berkley, of Lyman, N.H., by whom he
had four children, three of whom lived to grow up, and second, Lydia Clough,
of Lyman, N.H. She had one child, Hubbard H., with whom the father now
resides. He married R. Elizabeth Foster, of Haverhill, N.H., and they have
three sons and two daughters, one, a twin to the youngest daughter, having
died at the age of four months.
Francis G. Strowbridge was born in Albany, Vt., July 9, 1840. When
eighteen years of age he removed to Danville; afterwards he lived some
years at Somerville and Charlestown, Mass. He married Mary L., daughter
of Colonel James Gilkison, of this town. He removed to Massachusetts after
his marriage, and lived there two years. Their first child, Mabel, was
born there in 1867. He came to this town in 1868, and settled on road 53,
where he now resides. He has one son, Frank E., born in 1875.
John C. Gleason, born in Farmingham, Mass., learned the trade of
a tanner in early life, and commenced that business at Hardwick, in this
state. He built a tannery on his farm in this town, on road 65, and carried
on the business for many years. He married Margaret A. Duncan, a native
of Barnet. They have a family of six children living, of whom William C.
is a farmer on road 65; Mary married Isaac Bridgman, for many years a teacher
in Syracuse, N.Y., now of Cleveland, Ohio; John is a. physician at Hannible,
Mo., Martha J. is a missionary of the Women’s' Board of Foreign Missions
at Constantinople; George D. is a mason in New York city, and Laura A.
is at home with her widowed mother. Mr. Gleason died in 1866.
Winslow Gilman, who resides with his son, Nathan H., on road 2,
is the oldest person living in Barnet. He was born at Sandwich, N.H., in
November, 1793. At about the age of twenty-two he removed to Lyndon, and
resided there until 1870, when he removed to this town and located where
he now resides. He is in feeble health, but his mind is well preserved
for one of his advanced age.
George P. Blair, born in Glasgow, Scotland, April 2, 1830, came
to this country in 1849, locating in Peacham. He worked on a farm at Stannard
until 1852, then went to Natick, Mass., and worked at manufacturing shoes
one year. In 1853 he went to California and worked in the gold mines of
Placer county until 1860. In June of that year he returned to Peacham and
engaged in the mercantile trade with Isaac Watt until the breaking out
of the war. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. D, 1st Vermont Cavalry, and was
quartermaster sergeant of the regiment. He was out with the regiment three
years. In 1866 he engaged in the general mercantile business at South Peacham
and remained there until April, 1870, when he removed to West Barnet, where
he is still engaged in the same business. He has been postmaster three
years, and is one of the selectmen of Barnet; has been a justice of the
peace for seventeen years; is now notary public, and represented Barnet
in the state legislature in 1880 and 1881. In 1861 he married Agnes, daughter
of Harvey Sanborn, and they have four children, of whom Maggie married
E. J. M Hale, of Littleton, N.H.
Levi B. Goss, born in the adjoining town of Waterford, in 1834 resided
on a farm with his father until of age. In 1855 he removed to Lamoille,
Ill., where he remained one year, and from there he went to Jessup, Iowa,
where he engaged in farming for eight years. In 1878 he removed to East
Barnet, and has been engaged since that date as station agent at that place
for the Passumpsic railroad, and also agent for the United States &
Canada Express Company. He has also for that period been acting as postmaster.
He married Fidelia Woods, of Hardwick, in this county, in 1857. They have
four children—three sons and one daughter.
Christopher C. Chase was born in Bath, N.H., in October, 1814. In
his younger days he was a riverman on the Connecticut, taking timber in
rafts down to Hartford, Connecticut. This business he followed for many
years. Thirty-seven years ago he moved to North Monroe and settled on a
farm there, and married, in 1840, Susan Sanborn, of Bath. In 1875 he removed
to this town, settling at McIndoes Falls. He now has a farm of 150 acres.
They have had ten children, five of whom are living. Frank, the oldest
son, enlisted August 13. 1862, in the 13th N. H. Vols., and served two
years, and died of sickness, at Fort Schuyler, N.Y. August 13, 1864. George
D. married Francesa Moore, of Ryegate, who died June 12, 1879. He now lives
on a farm in Monroe, N.H. Julia married Orlin Kinney, of Monroe, N.H. Maria
married John Little, also of Monroe. Charles F. married Eleanor Turner,
from Monroe, N.H. Gilbert P. married Jennie Smith, of San Francisco, Cal.,
where they now reside.
Dr. Truman R. Stiles was born in Stowe, in 1847, where he received
his early education. He graduated from the medical department of the Vermont
University, at Burlington, in 1860. He practiced his profession at Sheffield
eleven years, removing to this town in 1880. He is still practicing medicine
and also carries on a drug store in the village of Barnet. He married,
in 1870, Abbie A. Jenness, of Sheffield, a native of Natick, Mass. They
have two sons. Mr. Stiles is United States pension examiner of the St.
Dr. Edward R. Clark was born in Peacham, December 3, 1857. He worked
on his father's farm until of age, teaching school three winters, one each
in Danville, Island Pond and Walden. He studied at Peacham academy three
years, one half year of the time studying medicine in the office of Dr.
Blanchard of Peacham. Afterwards he was a student at the medical department
of Dartmouth college two years and a half, graduating November 11, 1884.
The next five months he practiced at Felchville, with Dr. H. M. Guild,
and came to Barnet April 27, 1885, succeeding to the practice of Dr. G.
W. Bass, at McIndoes Falls. He married Susie B. Bliss, of Lyme, N.H., September
John Galbraith, a "Scottish Laird" from the parish of Balfron, Scotland,
came to America before the Revolution and purchased a large tract of land
of the Albany grantees, some four hundred acres of which was located within
the present limits of Barnet, and several thousand acres in Burke township,
How long prior to the breaking out of the war he came is unknown; but war
was declared while he was here, and though he attempted to secure passage
back to Scotland, his efforts proved futile and he contented himself with
making improvements upon his land in Barnet until after Burgoyne's army
passed down into New York state to the battle of Saratoga. Making his way
thither, he started northward, was captured as a spy and taken to Quebec.
Having a brother there by whom he was identified, he was released, and
secured a passage home. Before leaving Barnet he had leased his land there
to John Gilkerson, a fellow countryman, who continued to occupy it until
it was claimed by the sons of Laird Galbraith, and he then settled upon
the adjoining farm where C. B. Somers now lives. Laird Galbraith lived
several years after his return to Scotland, but did not again visit America,
and, except the land in Barnet, his purchase reverted to the state of Vermont
upon its organization. His eldest son, John, when old enough to leave home,
came and dwelt some years where C. C. Harvey now lives; but gave up the
place to his younger brother, William, and removed to Princeton, Canada.
George, the third, and James, the youngest son of Laird John, also came
to Barnet, reared families and died here. George Galbraith was born in
1772, came over before 1800, and located on the place where his father
built his first log house. Here he spent his life, and his grandson, James
Renfrew Galbraith, now lives thereon. He married, March 23, 1804, Isabella,
daughter of John Gilkerson, and was the father of twelve children, viz.:
John, who spent his life as a drover and farmer in Barnet; (2) Jannet,
who married William Lang; (3) William, who graduated from Union
college, 1831, Cannonsburg Theolog1cal Seminary, 1835, was ordained at
Freeport, Pa.; where he remained as pastor thirty years, and for twenty-five
years conducted the Freeport academy. He is now seventy-eight years of
age, erect and agile as most men at fifty, and resides at Sutton, Mass.,
where he was installed as a pastor October 12, 1886. His first wife was
Mary Bachop, of Barnet; who became the mother of seven children, three
of whom are living; (4) Margaret, who died unmarried on the homestead;
James, died in infancy; (6) George, who spent his life on the home
farm, married Jane Esdon, and had two sons, George T., who graduated from
Dartmouth college, 1872, and Newberg Theological Seminary, and is now preaching
at Liberty, Sullivan county, N. Y., and James R. who resides upon the paternal
acres. George Galbraith served his town in official positions, died January,
1884, aged 78; (7) Thomas became a physician and resides in Trenton,
Pa.; (8) Isabella married Alexander Esden;
married Andrew Dunnett, of Ryegate; (10) James, died young; (11)
who is a ranchman in California;
(12) Henry, died young.
John S. Hight was born in Peacham in 1834 and resided there until
1885, on the farm where his father, Reuben B., settled early in this century.
He served in the civil war under two enlistments (in Co. F, 15th and Co.
K, 3d Regts.) nineteen months, receiving thereby such injury to his health
as to render him for the last few years unable to walk. Reuben B. Hight,
his father, was born in Newington, N.H., and when two years old his father,
John, brought him to Barnet, where the family settled.
John Q. Hoyt was born in Windsor, Vt., and came to Barnet in 1853.
A tailor by trade, he engaged in business, employing as many as ten or
twelve hands. George Greenbank then had woolen mills at the village. In
1855 he became postmaster, and from that to 1885 he held the office, about
twenty-five years. Has been in the mercantile business about eight years.
He married Louisa Danforth, of Fort Covington, N.Y., has four daughters
and one son—Louisa, Helen (Mrs. W. H. Burbank), Flora (Mrs. T. P. Robie),
Hattie, graduate of N. E. conservatory of music, and now music teacher
at St. Johnsbury and Barnet.
Adam and Horace Duncan, half brothers, were born in Ackworth, N.H.
Adam Duncan came to Barnet about 1810, and was engaged in trade at the
village. He was the resident partner of the firm of Duncan & Chapman,
the latter of Hartford Conn., who were extensively interested in the lumber
business, buying and rafting immense quantities down the river. He took
a strong interest and active part in the projects of his time to establish
steam navigation upon the Connecticut, and in his honor the boat built
by the company for that purpose at Wells River, in 1832, was named the
"Adam Duncan." He died in 1825, and his widow (formerly Dorothy Lancaster)
married William Gleason. Adam Duncan was the father of six sons and one
daughter, of whom Moses L. and Margaret A. (widow of John C. Gleason),
of McIndoes Falls, are the only ones living.
The Barnet Center United Presbyterian Society was organized by Rev.
John Huston, with forty-six members, in 1786. Rev. David Woodwillie was
the first pastor. The first church building, erected in 1788, was succeeded
by a brick structure, and that in turn by the present wooden building,
which, will comfortably seat 400 persons and is valued at $2,500.00. The
society now has ninety-five members, with Rev. D. M. McKinlay, pastor.
The Passumpsic Calvanistic Baptist church was organized by a council
of neighboring churches, July 1, 1812, with sixteen members, and Rev. Silas
Davidson was the first pastor. The church building, erected m 1824, will
seat 250 persons and is valued, including grounds, at $3,000.00. The society
has eighty-six members, with Rev. S. A. Read, pastor.
The Congregational church, located at Barnet village, was organized
by a. council of churches, with forty-seven members, September 14, 1858.
Rev. Henry Fairbanks was the first acting pastor. The church building is
a neat wooden structure, capable of seating 250 persons, and is valued,
including grounds and other property, at $7,000.00. The society now has
eighty-eight members, with Rev. Joseph Boardman, pastor.
The Reformed Presbyterian church, located at West Barnet village,
was organized September 10, 1851, by a commission of the Northern Presbytery,
with a membership of ten, under the pastoral charge of Rev. John Bole,
the present pastor. The first house of worship was erected of wood in 1859.
The original cost of the present structure was about $2,300.00. It will
comfortably seat 300 persons, and is valued, including grounds, etc., at
$3,000.00. The Sunday school has an average attendance of 100 scholars.
The Reformed Presbyterian Church, located in the southern part of
the town, was organized in 1873, with seventy-three members. Rev. D.C.
Faris was installed as pastor, and still holds the position. The society
now has sixty-two members.
of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887,
and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887,
was provided by:
~ 2001 ~ Barnet Birth Records
~ 2001 ~ Barnet Marriage Records
~ 2001 ~ Barnet Death Records
~ 2001 ~ Barnet Burial Records
~ 1958 ~ Congregational Church, Barnet, VT