Burke, one of the county's eastern tier of towns, lies in latitude 44º 36' and longitude 5º 2', and is bounded northeast by Newark and East Haven, the latter in Essex county; southeast by Victory, in Essex county, southwest by Lyndon and Kirby, and northwest by Sutton. The original grantees of this town were a company of sixty-five, mostly, if not all inhabitants of the county of Litchfield, Conn., among whom were a number of females. A grant or charter was dated  February 6, 1782, and signed by   Thomas Chittenden, governor; and Joseph Fay, secretary, in behalf of the freeman of the state of  Vermont, granting to said company the exclusive right to form and incorporate the same into a township, on certain specified conditions. In the year1787, Seth Spencer  and Uriah Seymour, the latter being one of the original proprietors, proceeded in the allotment of said township, and surveyed the same into shares, or rights, as they were called, each share containing 300 acres, the town being first divided into two divisions, and a lot in each division of 160 acres was assigned to each proprietor, reserving five rights, or one lot in each division, for public uses, viz.: one right for the first settled minister, one for the minister's support, one for common  English schools, one for an academy in the county, and one for a seminary or college in the state of Vermont. As thus granted, the town originally had an area of a little over six miles square; but this included a gore of about 3,400 acres, called Burke Tongue, which, on October 28, 1807, was annexed to Hopkinsville, and the two incorporated into  the township of Kirby. This leaves the town with an area of about 20,200 acres. 

    The surface of the town is uneven, rising between the rivers into high ridges, three in number, running in a northerly and southerly direction through the town, and mostly covered with a growth of hard wood, among which a large portion of sugar maple abounds. In the valleys bordering on the streams the timber is mostly evergreen, among which is some cedar and a small quantity of pine. The soil is various; the ridges or hills mostly contain a deep rich loam. and are well adapted to agricultural pursuits. In the valleys, in some localities, the soil is composed of a mixture, of sand and gravel, but bordering on the streams are some meadows of a deep alluvial soil, and very fertile. Generally, the soil is well adapted to grazing, and some of the finest cattle and sheep found in market are raised in this town. The Passumpsic river, a branch of Connecticut river, runs through this town, and is divided into two branches, called the east and west branches; one passing near the eastern, and the other near the western part of the town. Into these branches, which unite their waters in the town of  Lyndon, flow several tributary streams, on which are many excellent water privileges adapted to the various purposes of mechanical arts. At the southeastern extremity of the township is a mountain bearing the name of Burke mountain, lying partly in Burke, and partly in Victory, the line, between the towns crossing near the summit. The summit of this mountain towers nearly 3,000 feet above the bed of  Passumpsic river. It is mostly covered with a small growth of evergreen. Along the western base are many good farms. 

    In 1880, Burke had a population of 1,252 souls.  In 1886, the town had eleven school districts and ten common schools, employing two male and twenty female teachers, to whom was paid an average weekly salary, including board, of $8.35 to the males, and $5.24 to the females. There were 313 scholars, thirteen of whom were attending private schools. The entire income for school purposes was $2,132.33, while the total expenditures were $1,955.10, with J. P. Otis, superintendent.

    West Burke, a Post village and station an the Passumpsic River railroad, lies in the northwestern part of the town, and is noted for its manufacture of lumber. It has two churches (Universalist and Methodist Episcopal), one hotel, two grocery stores, a drug store, two dry goods stores, a hardware store, two blacksmith shops, a grist-mill, three saw-mills and about seventy-five dwellings. 

    East Burke, a post village located in the southern part of the town, has one church (Union), one hotel, two dry goods stores, a drug store, grocery store, grist-mill, saw-Mill,  and about twenty-five dwellings. 

    Burke Hollow, is a post village located in the central part of the town. It consists of one church (Union), a town-house, store, saw-mill, harness-shop and about twenty dwellings.

    Wendell Silsby’s shingle-mill, at East Burke, was originally built for a sawmill, by Sampson & Cobleigh, about1820. It was operated, by them a number of years, then remodeled into a starch factory by Powers Bros. Subsequently, Elisha Brickets bought the property and established the present shingle-mill, which he sold to Mr. Silsby. It has the capacity for manufacturing about 3,000,000 shingles per annum. 

    Noah Dean & Son' s flouring-mill, at West Burke, was built by Joel Trull, Jr., about 1825. He operated it about thirty years. 

    The Trull saw-mill, at West Burke, was built by Joel Trull, Jr., about 1830. It is now owned by Moulton & Ruggles. 

    T.  Pease, Sons & Co.'s steam saw-mill; at West Burke, was built by the Vermont Lumber Co., in 1879. It has the capacity for cutting and dressing 2,000,000 feet of lumber per year. 

    The Lyndon Mill Co.'s grist-mill, as it is known, at East Burke, is operated by Humphrey & Gray. 

    A. F. Alderman & Co.'s saw-mill, located in the northeastern part of the town, was re-built by the present firm in 1869. It has the capacity for turning out about 10,000 feet of lumber per year. 

    The settlement of the town was commenced in 1794, by Lemuel Walter, from Litchfield county, Conn. The year following, several families, mostly from Connecticut, settled. Owing to the inconveniences ever attendant upon a settlement of a new country, these worthy pioneers had to endure many hardships, sufferings and privations. The badness of the roads, the lack of privileges of almost every description, rendered it very difficult, many times, to obtain necessary supplies for themselves and families, St. Johnsbury then being the nearest place where they could be accommodated, a distance of sixteen or seventeen miles. Almost the whole of the first inhabitants of the town followed the pursuit of agriculture, and for the period of five or six years little other business was done in the immediate vicinity. During many years the inhabitants lived in cabins built of logs, and covered with bark peeled from spruce trees, and were often doomed, especially in the winter season, to endure cold and hunger; for being poor, they had not the requisite means to procure comfortable clothing to screen themselves and families properly from the rigors of a northern climate. Children would frequently be seen in winter days running barefooted in the snow, and otherwise but poorly, clad, sleeping on straw beds or the skins of animals at night in the upper loft of their bark covered cabins, whose roofs, by the influence of the sun's rays, would but poorly shield them from the rain and snow, or the blasts of a wintry storm. Sometimes these cabins would have no chimney save a few boards fastened together in a conical form through which to convey the smoke. The comparative growth of the town may be readily seen by reference to the census table on another page. 

   Joseph Lord, of St. Johnsbury, a justice of the peace for the county of Orange, on application of a number of the inhabitants of Burke, set up a notification, warning the inhabitants of said town to meet at the dwelling house of Lemuel Walter, in Burke, on the 5th day of September, 1796, for the purpose of organizing said town, and electing the officers thereof as required by law. At said meeting, Lemuel Walter was elected moderator and town clerk unanimously; Barnabas Thurber, Godfrey Jones and Lemuel Walter, selectmen; and Ira Walter, constable.  On the 23d of March, following, a meeting was duly warned and holden for the election of town officers, and the transaction of other business appertaining to said town, Lemuel Walter was re-elected town clerk; Barnabas Thurber, David Colfix and Godfrey Jones, selectmen; Ira Walter, constable; and Barnabas Thurber, surveyor of highways.

   A freemen's meeting was warned and holden on the first Tuesday of September, 1801, for the purpose of giving their votes for state officers; and in December, 1802, a freemen's meeting was holden for the purpose of electing a representative to Congress. At a freemen's meeting in September, 1805, Thomas Bartlett was elected the first representative to the General Assembly of Vermont, to which office he was elected the two succeeding years. In the year 1801 the first school-house was erected, near the center of the town, which answered the double purpose of a school and town-house. 

    Thomas Bartlett taught the first school, in the winter of 1802. Schools were taught in this house for eight years, and the scholars came from nearly all parts of the town, some of them a distance of three miles. In 1803 the town was divided into seven school districts, but no schools were established or school-houses erected in any other part of the town till the year 1809; in that year another house was built, and schools taught therein. 

   Lemuel Walter, a native of Connecticut, came to Burke at the age of fifty years; and settled on the farm where L. Jenkins now lives, on road 45. He was one of the first settlers, and built the first house in town. His brother Samuel served in the war of 1812. The children of Lemuel were Samuel, Charles and Ira. The latter married Esther Burrington, and reared eight children, viz: Ira, Sally, Aretus, Henry, Roxanna, Harry, Esther M. and Lemuel. He died here in 1844, aged seventy-six years. His son Lemuel married Philena, daughter of Oren C. and Belinda (Prescott) Kibbey, has had born to him two children, Chandler C. and Philena C., and resides on road 27. 

   John Walter, a native of Connecticut, came to Burke some time previous to 1800, and first settled on road 21, which farm he afterwards sold to Abner Coe, after having lived there about ten years. He finally moved to East Haven, where he died at the great age of 101 years. He had several children. 

   Augustus Walter was born in Hartford, Conn., in 1790, came to Burke in 1808, and was the first settler on a farm on road 33, where he remained until his death, in 1864. He married Abigail Porter, and reared four children, namely, Abbie, Mary, Eliza and Porter. He served the town as selectman several years, and was superintendent of the common schools thirty terms. His son Porter, who always lived on the homestead, married Charlotte C. Blake, and reared two children, True B., who served in the late war, in Co. E, 15th Vt. Vols., and died at Fairfax Court House, Va., January 1, 1862, and Augustus P. The latter married Betsey A., daughter of Willard Brockway, and had born to him two children, Charles T., of St. Johnsbury, editor-in-chief of the St. Johnsbury Republican, and Herbert E., who is engaged in the jewelry business, at Newport, Vt. Mr. Walter died on the homestead, at the age of thirty-nine years. 

   William Godding, from Attleborough, Mass. came to Burke when twenty-one years of age and was the first settler on the farm where Wilber Godding now resides. He died here in 1850, aged seventy-four years. He married Martha, daughter of William and Ruth (Porter) Gridley, and his children were Carlos, Laura, Delia and William A. The last mentioned married Sarah J. Kimball, who bore him two children, Martha J. and Delia A., both deceased, and died October 8, 1870, aged thirty-four years. His daughter Delia A. married William E. Fairbanks, bore him one child, Frankie, and died May 24, 1885. Mr. Fairbanks, a native of Williston, Vt., served in the late war. Carlos Godding always lived on the homestead, where he died at the age of seventy years. He married three times, first, Sobrina Harvey, who bore him one son, Wilber B., second, Thankful Harvey, and third, Mrs. Julia Blake, who still survives her husband, Wilber B. married Addie, daughter of Samuel and Julia (Barrington) Blake, has two children, Robert and Amoretta, and resides on the homestead. 

   Benjamin Farmer came to Burke in 1800, and first located on road 10, where B. Marshall now resides. He served in the Revolutionary war, as sergeant-major, and died in 1842, aged ninety-seven years. He married Sarah Lippenwell, who died at the age of ninety-eight years, Uziah, one of his ten children, married Priscilla Briggs, and reared ten children. Bradley, son of Uziah, married Lydia Cushman, and has four children, Charles, Hiram, Wesley and Alonzo C. The last mentioned married twice, first, Martha, daughter of Rev. Lewis and Sarah (Hall) Jenkins, and second, Susan Jenkins, sister of his first wife. He has had born to him four children by his second wife, namely, Martha A., Frank E., Fred A. and Ida A.  Mr. Farmer served in the late war, was sergeant in Co. E, 15th Vt. Vols., and now resides on road 63. Hiram B. also served in Co. E, 15th Vt. Vols. Ladoit Farmer, son of Uziah, located in Brighton, and married Laura A. Cargill. Jacob S., one of his eight children, married three times, first, Ella Johnson, who bore him two children, Gertrude E. and Alfred S., second, Lois West, and third, Ida A. Taft, and has had born to him one child, Carl L. He resides in Burke Hollow. 

   Oliver Coe, a native of Connecticut, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and died in the cause. His children were Job, Justice, Oliver, Mary, James and Abner. The last mentioned came to Burke in 1800 and located on the farm where his youngest son, Oliver, now resides, on road 21. He was a Revolutionary soldier, married Mary Ledyard, and his children were as follows: Wealthy, Miles, Abigail, Sheldon, Allen, Anson and Oliver. Allen located on road 21, where M. D. Coe now lives, and remained there until his death, in 1840, aged forty-seven years. He married Betsy Coe, and reared seven children, viz.: Mortimer D., Malachi, Harriet R., Nancy C., Nelson, David and Harlow. The last mentioned married twice, first, Euphemia E. Walter, who bore him six children, viz.: Orlo A., Sidney W., and Betsey A., deceased, and Flora J. (Mrs. Francis Roberts), of Newark, Ardin M. and Elmer H.  He married for his second wife Mrs. Mary A. Brewer, and resides on a farm on road 56. Mortimer D., son of Allen, married three times, first, Laura Pike, who bore him five children, namely, Henry, Herbert, Marion, Ida and Arthur. He married for his second wife, Emerenza Pike, a sister of his first wife, and for his third wife, Ellen J. Gilfillen, and has one daughter, Myrtie L.  He resides on road 21. David, son of Allen, married Alwilda A. McNeal, and has three children, Willie W., Alice M. and Lulu M. He resides in Burke Hollow, where he has been a dry goods merchant nineteen years, and postmaster sixteen years. Willie W. Coe and A. P. Underwood, the latter of whom married a daughter of David Coe, live in West Burke, where they are engaged as dry goods merchants, under the firm name of Coe & Underwood. Sheldon, son of Abner, located on the farm where R. Gilfillen now lives, on road 33, where he remained many years, and finally located on road 39, where he died in 1868, aged seventy-five years. He married Abigail Eggleston, and had born to him two children, Horace B. and Ellis M. The latter married Mary L., daughter of John and Eunice Howland, and resides in Burke Hollow, on road 15.  Oliver, son of Abner, married Sophia, daughter of Joshua and Sarah (White) Smith, and has had born to him two children, Junella and Dana. The latter lives on the homestead with his father, married Mary McNeal, and has two children, Katie G. and Bertha S. 

   Matthew Cushing, son of Noah, was a native of Putney, Vt., came to Burke about 1800, engaged in a mill at Burke Hollow, and remained in town until his death, in 1853, aged sixty-seven years. He married Resia Woodruff, and reared seven children, viz.: Deranzel W., Roxanna, Flavilla P., Fanny W., Rev. Charles W., Alvin M. (M. D.), Emily R, and Rev. Haynes P. The last mentioned married twice, first, Nancy M. Shaw, who bore him three children, Ellen M., Ella B. and Charles E., and second, Delia G. Huntington. Mr. Cushing has preached forty-three years, taught school thirty terms, and was assistant teacher in the seminary at Newbury, Vt. He has been engaged as Methodist minister at West Burke for three years. He served in the legislature in 1863-64, and was chaplain in the House of Representatives. 

   Joseph Eggleston came to Burke about 1800, and reared four children, namely, Abigail, Eunice, Anson and William. The latter married twice, first, Wealthy Howland, who bore him ten children, viz.: Abner H., Artemas L., Lucretia, John M., Joseph C., Lucina, Lucinda, Almeda, Philinda and James M. He married for his second wife Sally Walters, and had born to him four children, namely, David W., Wealthy H., Eunice S. and William A. His son James M. married twice, first, Prucia S. Thurber, and second, Abbie J. Martin. He resides on road 61. John, son of William, was born June 29, 1815, married Harriet Allen, and reared six children, viz.: Olive, Cynthia, Ira, Isette, Almeda and Ezra S.  John died in 1879. His son Ezra S. married Nettie Bates, and has four children, namely, Harriet S., John E., Sheldon M. and Corilla C. He resides on road 61. 

   Elam White, son of Jacob, came here about 1800, and was the first settler on the farm where Asahel Bundy now lives, on road 52. He died here at the age of seventy-three years. His brothers Thomas and Dan served in the Revolutionary war, and the latter was the first justice of the peace, and the first member of assembly in the town of Burke. Elam married twice, first, Wealthy Coe, who bore him eight children, viz.: Florilla, Ransom C., Emily, Roenza, Elam, Wealthy, Caroline and Osman. He married for his second wife Mrs. Esther Finney, and had born to him one child, Mary. Osman married Frinda, daughter of Joshua Smith, has one son, Melvin, and resides on the farm adjoining the homestead. The latter married Melissa, daughter of Samuel and Betsey Phippin, and resides on the farm with his father on road 36. 

   Roman Fyler came to Burke about 1800 and was the first settler on a farm on road 39. He built the first saw and grist-mill in town, which was located at Burke Hollow, and which was burned in 1885. He married Mrs. Sally Lyman, and reared six children. 

   Abel Bugbee, son of Ebenezer, came here from Townshend, Vt., in 1800, and was the first settler on a farm on road 9, where he remained until his death, July 24, 1861, aged eighty-four years. He was a minister and a farmer, married Annie Farmer, and reared five children, namely, Abel, Nancy, Sally, Ebenezer and Hiram. The last mentioned married Hester Smith, and his children are Calista E. (Mrs. Joseph A. Wilson) and Luette (Mrs. George P. De Wolf). Mr. Bugbee lives on the homestead. Ebenezer, son of Abel was born in this town, and lived here until his death, March 5, 1882, aged, seventy-four years. He married Lucy M. Kilby, and his children were Emeretta A. and Sereno D. The latter married twice, first, Julia A. McCurdy, who bore him children as follows: Mary E., Elmer S., Albert A., Clarence L. M. and Jennie A.  He married for his second wife, Dolly A. Bailey, and has had born to him four children, namely, Freddie E., Lucy M., Julia E. and Lucy E. He resides on road 9.

   Osias Humphrey, a native of Connecticut, came to Burke in 1801, and was the first permanent settler on a farm on road 59, corner 42. He reared twelve children, viz.: Mary, Abel, Triphena, Ira, Cynthia, Osias, Eliza, Lucinda, Clara, Ariel, Romanta and Erastus. The latter married Hannah Johnson, and had born to him five children, namely, Giles, Olivia, Emily, Julia A. and Aldis B. The last mentioned married Elva, daughter of George and Charlotte (Morgan) Gray, has one son, Charles F., and lives on a farm, on road 38. 

   Lemuel Jenkins, a native of Hinsdale, N. H., served in the Revolutionary war, was at the battle of Bunker Hill, and moved to St. Johnsbury about 1800, where he remained until his death, in 1843, aged eighty-five years. He married Hannah Lewis, and reared nine children, viz.: Lemuel, Sylvanus, Lewis, Obadiah, Alanson, Jonathan, Sarah, Sophia and Wesley. Jonathan moved to Kirby, where he died in 1862, aged seventy- three years. He married Lydia Rowell, and his children were as follows: Loren, Samuel, Dustin, Austin, John, David, Joel, Elizabeth, Louisa, Calista and Mary. Joel married twice, first, Jerusha Hutchins, who bore him two children, Mary and Janet, and second, Mrs. Rhoda Quint, daughter of Henry Gray. He resides on road 62. 

   Lewis Jenkins, son of Lemuel, came to this town, from St. Johnsbury, at an early day, located on a farm where he remained until his death at the age of seventy-five years. He married twice, first, Mary Griswell, who bore him eleven children, viz.: Orian, Willis, Mary, Emily, Milo, George L., Lucinda, Martha, Narcissa, Alvila and Lewis. He married for his second wife Sarah Hall, and reared ten children, as follows: Amelia, Jason, Elmira, Ellen V., Susan, Arthur, Benjamin, Eugene, Flora and Edna. Lewis married Lovina Frazer, and has four children, namely, Herbert A., Alida, Etta and May. He lives on road 45. 

   Barnabas Thurber came here at an early day, as one of the first settlers. His son Barnabas was born here, but moved to Ohio, where he died. Barnabas, Jr’s, grandson, Charles C., son of Jerod, married Arabella, daughter of Moses and Mary (Smith) Gage, and has one daughter, Lillie, who married Isaac W. Ames.  Mr. Thurber lives in East Burke. 

   Martin Doyle, a native of Walpole, N. H., settled, in 1805, on a farm in Burke Hollow. He afterwards removed to road 25, where he located on a farm as the first settler. He died in 1847. He married Martha Thompson, and of ten children, Martin R. married Jane Powers, lived in Burke many years, and finally moved to Sutton, where he died in 1875, aged sixty-nine years. His children were Nancy C., Zenas T. and Selim N. The last mentioned married Sarah E. Ladd. His children are Herbert L., Gilbert E., Lizzie M., Estella O. and Josie A.  He resides on a farm adjoining the homestead, on road 25. 

   Samuel Hastings, a native of Massachusetts, married a Miss Martin, and reared six children. Ambrose Hastings, son of Samuel, came to Burke in 1804, and was the first settler on a farm off road 47.  He finally moved to Lyndon, where he died July 23, 1879, aged eighty-six years. He married Sabrina Stafford, and reared eight children, one of whom, Willard, married Anna E., daughter of Luther and Maria (Easterbrooks) Russell, and resides on road 47. 

   Ebenezer Darling, of Hopkinton, Mass., a soldier of the war of 1812, came to Burke about 1812, and was the first settler on the farm where H. Smith now lives, on road 21. He died in town in 1858, aged seventy years. He married Abigail Fisher, and reared eight children, of whom Henry G. married Mehitable, daughter of Cummings and Louisa (Quimby) Whitcomb, and his children are Elmer, Scott, Louisa and Lucius A. The latter lives with his parents, on road 45. 

   Jedediah Smith, a Revolutionary soldier, lived in Hinsdale, N. H., many years, where he died at the great age of ninety-five years. Joshua, one of his seven children, came here in 1819, and was the first settler on a farm on road 53, where he died September 3, 1869, aged ninety-one years. He married Sally White, and reared five children, of whom John married Philura E. Allard, of Newark, and has had born to him five children, viz.: Viola A., Rosa M., Salinda C., Eleanor J. and Elmer W. He lives on the homestead. Charles, another son of Joshua, married twice, first, Eliza Stratton, who bore him five children, as follows: Ruby F., Lowell M., Erwin W., Lydia K. and Elsie A. The last three live at home with their father, on a farm off road 38.  Mr. Smith married for his second wife Elsie Cobleigh. 

   Eseck Smith, of North Providence, R.I., served in the Revolutionary war. He moved to Foster, R.I., and finally located in Newark, Vt., where he died, aged eighty-two years. He married, first, a Miss Hopkins, and second, Polly Simens, who bore him seven children, of whom Olney was born in Foster, R.I., and moved to Newark, Vt., in 1812. He served there as selectman and justice of the peace.  In 1871 he located at Burke Hollow, on road 28. He married twice, first, Lucy Powers, who bore him nine children. He married for his second wife Mrs. Amorilla Gaylor, daughter of Roswell and Lucretia (Babcock) Hurlburt. His son Horace S. married Mary J. Justin, and has had born to him five children, namely, Luella A., Celia L., Fred E., Fanny A. and Frank H. He lives on a farm on road 21. 

   Daniel Smith, a native of North Providence, R.I., died in that town about 1850, aged eighty years. His son Abraham married Mary Windsor and reared ten children, of whom Harris married Adaline, daughter of Benjamin and Susan (Bullock) Walker, and has had born to him five children, viz.: Oren H., of Springfield, Mass., Isaac E., a Methodist minister of New York city, Walker B., of Worcester, Mass., Willard S., who served in the late war, in Co. E, 15th Vt. Vols., and died there in 1863, and Susan R., of Ryegate. Mr. Smith resides in East Burke, where he has lived twenty-seven years. 

   Cyrus Smith, son of Aaron, was born in Waterford, Vt., married Hannah Colby, and has had born to him ten children, viz.: John, Aaron, Lester, Orson, David, Quincy, Mary, Anna, Rose A. and Hibbard. He now resides in Stanwood, Mich. His son Hibbard married Lizzie S., daughter of Austin and Sarah (Clark) Barney, and lives in East Burke. 

   Samuel Smith married Phebe Rice, and reared eleven children, of whom Oglander married Mary Ann, daughter of John and Eunice (Blakely) Walter, and has had born to him seven children, as follows: Meroa J., Myron L., Ellen H., Adna W., David and Dana, twins, and Junella R.   Mr. Smith served in the late war, in Co. F, 9th Vt. Vols., and now resides here on road 20. His son Dana married Katie Howland, of Newark. David married Alida A. Cole, of East Haven, and has three children, Etta E., Mattie M. and Ethel E. 

   Daniel Beckwith, a native of Ackworth, N. H., came to this town, in 1825, and was the son of Ira Beckwith, who always lived in New Hampshire. Daniel was a general merchant here for many years, served the town as selectman, overseer of the poor, justice of the peace, was judge and counselor, and was town representative three terms. He died here in 1872, aged seventy-two years. He married Lucinda Orcutt, and reared nine children, viz.: Nancy, Charles, George, Silas, Mary J., Alson, Elbridge, Adelaide and Estella. Silas is a native of Burke, married Avaline Bemis, and has been a merchant here for many years, first with his father, who was the first merchant in town, and then for himself. He has been postmaster twenty years. Joel Trull, a native of Tewksbury, Mass., came to Burke, in 1814, and was one of the first merchants at Burke Hollow. He died in Lyndon, aged seventy-five years. His son David resides at St. Johnsbury. He has been high sheriff two years, deputy sheriff twenty-eight years, and justice of the peace two years. Joel, Jr., was side judge two years, justice ten years, and built the first grist and saw-mill in West Burke. 

   Timothy Humphrey, a native of St. Johnsbury, married Sabrina Cushing and reared seven children, viz.: Maria, George, Marcus, Joseph, Miranda, Wesley and Charles T. A. The last mentioned married first, Flavilla P. Cushing, and had born to him four children, viz.: Philetta, Edward, Rosa and Celia. He married for his second wife Mary L. Prouty, and is now a retired merchant at East Burke. He has been director of the Merchants National Bank, at St. Johnsbury, has lived in this town forty years, and has held many offices of trust. He has been overseer of the poor five years, justice of the peace twelve years, was side judge in 1876 and 1877, and served as town representative in 1864-65. 

   Thomas Burpee, a native of Rowley, Mass., lived in New London, N. H. where he died at the age of sixty-five years. His son Samuel married Sally Fales, and had born to him ten children, of whom Horace came to Burke from Manchester, N. H., in 1853, married, first, Nancy Buck, who bore him one child, Hattie J., and second, Ruby F. Smith, and has had born to him two children, Charles and Heman P. He lives in the village of East Burke. 

   Tillions H. Burpee was born January 23, 1791, came to Burke in his later days, and died in St. Johnsbury, about 1861. He married Marian Bartlett and reared six children, of whom Plummer came to Burke in 1853, and located on a farm on road 24, corner 48, where he died in 1884, at the age of sixty-four years. He married Sarah Hale, of Dorchester, Mass., and had born to him three children, namely, Charles A., Alfred K., and William F. The last mentioned married Jennie B. Amadon, and resides on the homestead with his widowed mother. 

   Joel Bemis, a native of Spencer, Mass., moved to Lyndon about 1800, where he remained until his death, in 1815, aged forty-seven years. He married Nancy Jenks, and reared four children, viz.: Content, John S. J., Sally and Clarissa. John S. J. married Nancy S. Smith, and has had born to him two children, Octavia D., now deceased, and Emma J. (Mrs. Walter C. Cheney). He represented the town in 1880, has been justice of the peace fifteen years, and lives at Burke Hollow, where he has resided fifty-four years. 

   Alonzo Bemis, son of Elias, married Rebecca N. Denison, and reared five children, namely, Adna D., Anna B., Laura A., Elias A. and Isaac D. The last mentioned married Kate D. Cushing and has three children, Carrie R., Fred C. and Cornelia M. He served the town of Westmore, Orleans Co., in the legislature, and is now notary public of Burke. He is engaged as a dry goods merchant at East Burke. 

   David Stoddard was a native of Chesterfield, N. H., and reared eight children, of whom Alpheus married Charlotte Farnsworth, and he also had eight children. His son Marshall W. married Hannah M. Davis, and has three children, Adna B., Elmer E. and Avery J. He was selectman of the town of Newark, and served that town as representative in 1869-70. He has been justice of the peace of this town for ten years, and resides at West Burke. 

   Eber Howland, son of Eber, has had born to him three children, Charles W., Corilla A. and Alonzo S., and lives in Lyndon. His son Alonzo S. married Abbie R., daughter of Joseph Cole, and had born to him three children, Nora A., Cora O., and Norman J.   Mr. Howland died September 10, 1880, aged forty-nine years. His widow lives in the village of East Burke. 

   Josiah Harvey was a native of Massachusetts, married Martha Reed, and reared eight children, viz.: Riley, Benjamin, Rufus, Ezra, Orange, Augusta, Marinda and Lorinda. Riley married Amanda Abbott, of St. Johnsbury, and had born to him two children, George and Napoleon. He died in Lyndon, in 1859, aged fifty-six years. His son Napoleon married Mary L. Coucher, and has four children, namely, Elbert H., Eddie R., Willie A., and Fred E. He lives on a farm on road 60, corner 61. George married Rhoda E. Burt and resides on a farm, on road 55, where he has lived twenty years. 

   John Harvey, son of Isaiah, a native of Massachusetts, was born in St. Johnsbury, and died in Sutton, Vt., in May 1857, aged sixty-years. He married Susan Spaulding, and reared ten children, viz.: Rinaldo, Naham, Norman, Betsey, Isabel, George, Miranda, Willie, Lucy and Mary. Rinaldo, who was the first settler on the farm off road 57, where he now resides, married Jane Aldrich, and has had born to him four children, two of whom are now living, Abbie and Frank C.  The latter married Eleanor Smith, has one son, Roland, and resides with his father. 

   Jonathan Davis was a native of Chesterfield, N. H.  Of his ten children, Osborne married Olive Stoddard, and reared eight children, of whom Eleazer married twice, first, Dianna Stoddard, who bore him five children, namely, Martin W., Alanson W., Artaresty A., Lurena L. and Maria V.  He married for his second wife Delia E. Babcock, and has had born to him two children, Leroy C. and Frank M.   Mr. Davis resides in Burke Hollow. 

   Curtis Davis, son of Hammond, was born in 1804, married Minerva March, and died in Londonderry, Vt., July 30, 1871, aged sixty-seven years. His son Dr. Charles B. married Urania T. Harvey, and has had born to him five children, viz.: Katie A., Charles F. H., Carrie M., Flora N. and Gilbert C.  Dr. Davis graduated from the Medical Eclectic School at Cincinnati, O., and has practiced in Burke and Sutton as a homeopathic physician twenty-seven years. 

   Lyman Kinison, a native of Sutton, married Mary N. Bishop. His son Daniel W. married Lydia L. Bailey, and has six children, Sumner C., Warren W., Weaver O., Alberto A., Lillian M. and Fred S.  Mr. Kinison served in the late war, in Co. A, 11th Vt. Vols., and now lives at West Burke.

   Samuel Gaskill, a native of Richmond, N. H., married Nicena Boyce, and his children were as follows: Hannah, Ebenezer, Nicena, Olive, Silas, Rufus and Samuel. The last mentioned came to Waterford when he was fourteen years of age, married Huldah Huntley, and moved to St. Johnsbury, where he died at the age of ninety years. He reared thirteen children, viz.: Jacob, Jason, Jonathan, Samuel, Lorenzo, Nicena, Rufus, Tyler, Dan, who died in the Mexican war, Fanny C., Ansel H., Huldah J. and Silas. The last mentioned married Pamelia Walter, has one son, Tyler, and lives at Burke Hollow, on road 28. 

   Brown Gaskill married Lydia Bundy, and reared nine children. His son Elias, of this town, married Eliza A. Blake, and has had born to him three children, Ella B., Elmer H. and Fred C. 

   Josiah King, a native of Waterboro, Me., married Mary Woodsome, and settled in Canada, where he died at the age of eighty-four years. His son David married, first, Olive Brooks, who bore him five children. He married for his second wife Sarah A. Ricker, and had five children, Eunice, David W., Clarinda, Sarah C. and Theodore E. Mr. King died in Danville at an advanced age. His widow lives in this town on road 30, with her son Theodore. David W., of Burke Hollow, married Lucy E. Dunsire, and has three children, Katie, Louis and Leon. He is a pensioner of the late war, served in Co. E, 15th Vt. Vols., and also in Co. D, 9th Vt. Vols. 

    John Colby, son of Daniel, married Lydia Powers, of Lyndon, and reared six children, viz.: Marcellus L., Newell S., Amanda, Mandeville, Ellen and Meigs, who was formerly proprietor of Trull's Hotel. Marcellus L. married Harvilla H. Bugbee, and lives in the village of West Burke. He served in the late war, in Co. D, 4th Vt. Vols., and lost his arm at the battle of Fredericksburg. Newell S. married Adaline Harris, has two children, Harris and Annie M., and lives in the village of West Burke, where he has lived twenty-five years. 

    Elijah Otis was born in Barrington, N. H., June 10, 1749, was a Revolutionary soldier, married Sally Chesley, and died April 8, 1838.  His son Paul was born in Barrington, March 28, 1777, married Mary Foss, in July 1798. His son Joseph V. married Judith Chesley, and had born to him eleven children, of whom Joseph P. married Alice C. Campbell, and now resides at West Burke. He graduated from Dartmouth college, in 1872, taught school four years, read law at St. Johnsbury, with Hon. W. P. Smith, and has practiced law in Burke for six years. He has been superintendent of schools for five years, and is now county commissioner and notary public. 

    Daniel Kimball, a Revolutionary soldier, married Polly Stephens, and reared eleven children. His son Jesse married Susan Dustin, and reared five children. He died in Newark, in 1857, aged fifty-eight years. His son James S. married Louise M. Field, and has two children, Henry J. and Angeline L. The latter married Esdras D. Burns and has eight children, viz.: Henry E., Laura L., Albert J., Eddie E., Willie J., Frank D., Robert B. and Florence M. 

    Amasa Harris moved to Lyndon in 1815, was among the early settlers of that town, and was the first permanent settler on the farm where Amasa O. Harris now resides. He married Ruth Tarbox, and reared five children, namely, Joseph E., Amasa O., Helen M., Ann E. and Charles A.  He died in 1848, aged fifty-six years. Charles A. lived in Derby twenty years, where he was engaged as a merchant, and then came to East Burke. He married Euphemia R. Blake, has two children, Charles E. and Mary E. and has been a general merchant here for nineteen years and postmaster the same length of time. He served as town representative in 1874-75. 

    Joseph H. Dwinell was a native of Keene, N. H., was twice married, and reared six children. His son Joseph E. married Eliza N. Bean, and had eight children, of whom Fred E. graduated from the medical department of the University of Vermont, at Burlington, and is now a physician and surgeon at East Burke. He married Hattie F. Grow, and has one daughter, Maud E. 

    Benjamin Streeter, a native of Royalston, Mass., served in the Revolutionary war, married Susanna Morse, reared six children, and died on Long Island about 1846, aged about ninety years. His son Samuel married Sarah Richardson, and reared seven children. His son William R. married three times, first, Corilla C. Hall, who bore him three children, namely, Harley H. of New Mexico, William S., cashier of the Merchants National Bank, at St. Johnsbury, and Corilla C., who lives in St. Johnsbury. He married for his second wife Arabella Kibby, and for his third wife Amelia H. Hoffman. 

    Levi Lowell, son of Peter, who served in the Revolutionary war, married Ruth Bruce, was a soldier in the war of 1812, and reared six children, namely, Cyrus B., Roselle A., Phebe, Lovina, Susan M. and Amos H.  The last mentioned married Isabell M. Little, has one daughter, Matilda, and resides in the village of East Burke. 

    Cleveland Stafford, a native of Plattsburg, N.Y., served in the war of 1812, and also in the Mexican war, and died at Plattsburg at the great age of 102 years. His children were as follows: Rowland, David, Cornelius, who is living at the age of ninety-five years, Cleveland, Rebecca, Mary, Eliza, Lucina and Col. Peleg. The last mentioned was forty-six years in the U. S. Regular army, married for his second wife Lucinda Montey, and reared fifteen children. One son, James P., came to Burke in 1866, married Mary Emerson, and has eleven children, viz.: Laura, William, John, Katie, Lorenzo, Mary, Mabel, Annie, Scott W., Celia and Murray. He served in the late war, in Co. D, 16th N. Y. Vols., and Co. K, 56th Mass. Vols. He is a blacksmith, and resides in the village of East Burke. 

    Thomas Fairbrother was a native of England, came to New Hampshire in 1790, and reared five children. His son William married Lucy Wilson and reared seven children, of whom Thomas came to Burke in 1865, married Keziah Willey, who bore him nine children, viz.: Mary A., William, Lucy, Amasa, Edson, Myron, Ellen, Addie I., and Charles W.  He married for his second wife Eleanor C. Hoffman, and resides at East Burke. 

    Theophilus Drew married Dorothy Pease and reared eight children, viz.: Theophilus, Samuel, Joseph, Gilman, Holeman, Sally, Dorothy and Betsey. Samuel married Mary Burt, served in the war of 1812, and had born to him twelve children, viz.: Samuel, Thomas, Mary, Theophilus, Milton, and Abel, now deceased, and George, Warren, Holman, Leroy, Susanna and Melvina. His widow still survives him, and is eighty-one years of age. Her son Thomas J. served in Co, A, 10th Vt. Vols., and was killed at the battle of Cold Harbor, June 3, 1864. 

    John Ayer was born January 29, 1767, married twice, first, Polly Silver, who bore him seven children. He married for his second wife Abigail Gage, and died November 9, 1854. His son James married Aurilla Coe, and of his six children, Loren C. married Carrie E. Hubbard, and resides at East Burke. 

    Isaac Whitney was born in Springfield, Vt., June, 3, 1779, married Polly Fairbanks, and reared eleven children. He died in Elmore, June 13, 1858. His son Henry married Harriet Sinnott, lives on road 38, in this town, and has had born to him two children, William H., who died in 1872, aged twenty- four years, and Mary E., who married William F. Brown, and has one child, William H.  She lives with her father in East Burke. 

    Moses Gage, son of Isaac, was born in Orford, N. H., and was the first settler on a farm in this town where he died January 10, 1854, aged fifty-nine years. He married Polly Smith, and reared six children, viz.: Horace W., Arabella, Henry, Richard, Asa B. and Isaac. The last mentioned married Lovina L. Burrington, has one daughter, Allie, and resides on road 52. His mother survives her husband, who served in the war of 1812, is ninety years of age, and draws a pension. 

    Alexander Frasier, a native of Scotland, came to America with General Frasier, and served in the Revolutionary war. He moved to Barnet soon after the close of the war, but finally moved to Lyndon where he died at the age of forty-two years. He reared four children, of whom Alexander married Roxana Leach, and reared eight children. His son Curtis married Sally Seaver, who bore him four children, namely, Zelotes A., Gilman, Luther T. and Ada L. R.  He married for his second wife Mrs. Sarah J. Jenkins, who had three children by her first husband, namely, Clarence W., Mertie I. and Elbert H.  Mr. Frasier has one daughter by his second marriage, Elvira A., and lives in this town on a farm on road 52. 

    Benjamin Foster, a native of Oakham, Mass., moved to Essex county about 1815, and after about twenty years moved to the State of New York, where he died at the age of seventy years. Zadok, one of his eight children, married Jane Goodall. His children were John H., Seth B. and Charles W. He lived in Lunenburg, where he died, aged eighty years. Charles W. married first, Diana Hill, and second, Martha Hill. He resides in East Burke, on road 38. 

    Charles Phillips, son of Eri, of Hadley, Mass., came to this town in 1857, married Mary A. Jenks, and has four children, namely, Etta, Sarah, Hattie and Carroll. He served in the late war, in Co. E, 15th Vt. Vols., and also in Co. E, 9th Vt. Vols. His daughter Etta married Edward E. Phillips and has four children, Oscar, Henry, Wendall and Willie. 

    Laban Morrill, of Canterbury, N. H., married a Miss Ames. Abner, one of his six children, moved to Wheelock about 1775, where he remained until his death, aged eighty-four years. He married Mary Carpenter and reared ten children. His son Luther married Cynthia Ladd, has two children. Henry C. and Erastus F., and resides on a farm on road 38. 

    Jonathan Hunter was born in Royalston, N. H., settled in Concord, Vt., where he lived forty years, and then moved to Lyndon, where he died at the age of eighty-four years. He married Lucy Fry, and reared fourteen children. His son James was born in Concord, January 20, 1802, moved to Lyndon, married Phebe Miner, and reared six children. He died in Lyndon, aged sixty-eight years. His son Stephen W. married Emeline L. Pierce, and has five children, as follows: Ida A., Eugene, Mark, Fred and George. He resides on road 53. 

    Isaac Drown was a native of Sheffield, Vt., served in the Revolutionary war, married Rebecca Fuller, and had born to him four children. His son Welcome married Sarah J. Gates, of Danville, and has had born to him seven children, one of whom, Charles W., resides with him on a farm on road 53. 

    Jefferson J. Bishop, son of Jonathan, married Mary Ann Allard, who bore him nine children. He married for his second wife Calista Cummings, and has three children, Ellsworth, Luther and Linda. Harvey L. G., a son by his first wife, married Lillian Gray, has one daughter, Zana M., and lives at Burke Hollow. 

    John Bell came to America, from Ireland, served in the French and Indian war, and reared six children. His son William moved to Lunenburg in 1807, and died there September 9, 1850, aged eighty-four years. He married Mehitable Philbrick, and his children were ten in number, of whom Theron, in 1846, located at Burke Hollow, on road 29, where he now resides. He married first, Caroline Hall, who bore him three children, namely, Laura E., Leonora A. and Mary E. He married for his second wife, Mrs. Lydia C. Adams, who had one child by her first husband, Mrs. Jennie L. Sibley. Mr. Bell has been justice of the peace for twelve years, town clerk twelve years, and town treasurer four years. 

    Stephen Adams was a native of Lunenburg, Vt., where he lived until he was seventy-eight years old, and then moved to West Concord, Vt., where he died in 1872, aged eighty-one years. He married Rhoda Bell, daughter of John. He served in the war of 1812, and his widow, who survives him, draws a pension. Charles W., of this town, one of his seven children, married Mary T. Herrick, and has one son, Arthur M., who married Sophronia McCambly, and lives in Dakota. 

    Nathaniel Batchelder was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and reared ten children, of whom Nathaniel married Susanna Little, and had born to him eleven children. He died in Barry, Vt., September 2, 1860, aged seventy-seven years. His son William L. married Elizabeth Story, and has had born to him eight children, viz.: John R., Fanny A., Mary E., Mattie J., Lucretia A., Clement, Joseph S. and J. Wesley. He lives in this town on road 29. 

    James Dunsire, son of James and Mary (Rodger) Dunsire, was born at Glasgow, Scotland, and came to America, in 1805, when only seven years of age. He lived in Ryegate, Vt., many years, and finally came to Burke Hollow, where he died, aged eighty-three years. He married Abigail Page, and reared six children. His son Josiah married Mary J. Ricker, and had born to him three children, Addie J., Ada M. and Henry J.  He lived in Burke Hollow, where he died, January 31, 1884, aged fifty-four years. His widow still resides in town.

    Levi Aldrich served in the Revolution. He died May 9, 1818, aged about eighty years. Olney, one of his five children, was born April 29, 1775, married Mollie Woodard, and had born to him ten children. He died in Lyndon, July 22, 1865, aged ninety years. His son Isaac W. was born in Richmond, N.H., May 8, 1814 married first, Sophronia Powers, who bore him three children, namely, Henry G., Elizabeth S. and Willard. He married for his second wife Nancy R. Colburn, and lives in this town, on road 14. He lived in Brighton two years, and represented that town in the legislature in 1846. 

    John Saxby, son of William and Sarah Saxby, was born in England, September 25, 1793, came to America, and first located in Bakersfield, Vt., where he remained until his death, October 2, 1879, aged eighty-six years. He married Mary S. Roberts, April 14, 1823, and reared nine children, of whom Parmenas W. came to this town from Bakersfield, in 1872, married Edna C. Snow, and has four children, namely, Viola R., Eddie H., Earl J. and Willie P. He resides on road 29. 

    Henry Duval, a native of Upton Falls, came to Burke in 1855, married Seraphena Labley, and had born to him nine children, of whom Frank married Louise Coochier, and has one daughter, Alice M. He resides at Burke Hollow, on road 29. Welcome C. Coochier, brother of Mrs. Frank Duval, served in the late war, in Co. B, 11th Vt. Vols. 

    Jesse Farnham, an early settler of St. Johnsbury, married Mary Collins, and his children were eleven. His son Leandrew came to Burke at the age of seventeen years, married, first, Justina Smith, who bore him three children, and second, Lydia M. Adams, and had born to him two children, George E. and Rhoda B.  George married Lillie P. Olcott, and has two children, Nina M. and Minnie A.  Leandrew served in the late war, in Co. A, 11th Vt. Vols., and died in Andersonville prison in 1864, aged forty-one years. His widow married for her second husband Nathaniel Olcott, who died in 1883, aged sixty-eight years. She now resides on road 28. 

    Arnold Cummings, a native of Wells River, Vt., married Malinda Willie, and reared eight children. He died in Westmore, Vt., in October, 1882, aged seventy-two years. His son Hiram R. married, first, Amanda C. Marshall, who died August 11, 1879, and second, Mrs. Irene E. W. Forest. He lives in West Burke. Mrs. Cummings's first husband was Silas Forest, who served in the late war, in Co. I, 3d Vt. Vols., and died in Andersonville prison, August 27, 1864, aged thirty-one years. They had two children, Lauristine I. and Lunetta I. 

    Thomas Shannon, an Irishman, settled in Derby Center, Vt., married Lizzie Fitzgerald, and had born to him two children, Dennis and John. He died at the age of seventy-two years. John married Mary Haley, located in West Charleston, Vt., and reared seven children, viz.: John, Mary, William, Harriet, George, Fred and James A. The last mentioned lives at West Burke. 

    Robert Porter came to Burke about 1835, settled on the farm where S. S. Whitcher now lives, but finally moved to Waterford, where he died in 1845, aged about seventy years. He married Persis Perry; and had six children. His son Robert P. married Abigail Hutchinson, and had born to him four children, namely, Perry, Mary and Martha, twins, and Lyman. Perry married Electra V. Trull, and his four children, viz.: Fred T., Nellie A., David E. and Grace M. He served in the late war, in Co. K, 8th Vt. Vols., and now resides in West Burke, where he is engaged as a merchant. 

    Luther Bolton married Julia Hooker and reared five children. His son Plynn, who resides in Peacham, married, first, Phebe Wesson, who bore him one son, George W., and second, Martha McCloud, and has had born to him two children, Mary and Gertrude. George W. graduated from Harvard college, married Ida L. Coe, and is engaged as a physician and surgeon at West Burke. 

    William J. Berry was born in Sheffield, Vt., came to Burke in 1882, and is now a retired lumberman. He married Mary J. Johnson, and had born to him eight children, viz.: Alfred and Sophia, now dead, Darling, Clarence M., Curtis J., Charles F., William N. and Flora M.  William N. married Emily Carpenter, has one child, Carrie E. He has resided in West Burke twenty years. He is a conductor on the Passumpsic railroad. 

    Abner H. Cobleigh, son of John, was a native of Chesterfield, N. H. He moved to Sutton about 1810, where he remained until his death in 1868, aged about eighty years. He married Abigail Herrick, and reared twelve children, of whom Justin located on a farm in Sutton about 1844, remained there nearly forty years, and came to the village of West Burke in 1883. He married, first, Lucy T. Joy, who bore him one son, Harlan W., who lives at West Burke, and second, Mrs. Adaline Coe. The latter's first husband was Nelson Coe, and their children were David A,  Adaline A. and Flora J. 

    John Sleeper was a native of Unity, N. H., moved to Newark as one of the early settlers, in 1808, and died there March 7, 1860, aged about seventy-six years. His son Lewis located in Burke, married Abigail Powers, and had born to him six children. He died in 1869, aged sixty-one years. His son Mortimer L. graduated from Dartmouth college in 1875, and is now a physician and surgeon at West Burke, residing with his widowed mother. 

    John McNeal, an early settler of Sheffield, locating there about 1807, married Fanny Clark, and reared twelve children. He died in this town, aged about eighty years. His son Jacob, born in April, 1808, married Deborah Allen, and has had eight children, viz.: Sarah R., Alwilda A., Mary E., Aurilla A., Lorenzo C., Lucina A., Lillie I. and Lorenzo H. who died in 1878. His wife died in May 1880, at the age of sixty-five years. He has lived in Burke thirty-three years, has been engaged in the manufacture of starch with great success, has been selectman three years, justice of the peace six years, and tax collector one year. 

    Jacob Sulloway was one of the early settlers of Wheelock, where he died in 1857, aged about eighty years. Of his six children, John married Martha Otis, and had two children, Mary A. and Jacob J.  The former married James K. Varney, who served in the late war, in Co. H, 6th N. H. Vols., and died in 1876, aged forty years. Their children were Ella, Alice and Cyrus. Jacob J. is a harness maker, and lives in the village of West Burke. 

    Erasmus Burt, son of Moses, was born in Walpole, N. H., and came to Burke about 1825. He married Mary Brewer, and reared four children. Elhanan W., his only son, married Lydia Hall, and lived many years in Sutton, where he died June 1, 1885, aged seventy-nine years. His son Arunah, born December 22, 1835, married Louise Hartwell, and had born to him two children, Nelson A. and Nellie S.  He served in the late war, in Co. C, 4th Vt. Vols., and was killed at the battle of the Wilderness, May 5, 1864. His widow survives him. Uri, son of Elhanan W., married Eliza A. Bingham, and has one daughter, Emma L. (Mrs. Herbert R. Ford), who has one daughter, Lottie E. 

    Sylvester Cleveland married a Miss Baldwin and reared six children. His son Samuel married three times, first, Mary Blake, who bore him ten children. He married for his second wife Fanny Baldwin, who bore him one son, Francis B. He married for his third wife Mary Arnold, of Barnstead, P. Q. Francis B. married first, Mary Downer, who bore him two children, Francis B. and Calvin, and second, Mary H. Richardson, and has born to him one daughter, Susie A., now deceased. Mr. Cleveland lives at West  Burke. 

    Thomas Townsend married Philinda Beckwith, and his children were as follows: Sumner, Ira, Ann, Lewis S., Rufus E. and Daniel S. He died in 1858, aged seventy-five years. His wife also died in 1858, aged seventy-three years. Daniel S. came to Burke from Reading, Vt., in 1843, engaged as a dry goods merchant, and married, first, Jane Hastings, and second, Martha A., daughter of Curtis and Abigail (Sanborn) Stanford, and has three children, Kate J. (Mrs. William E. Hudson), of St. Louis, Mo., Ida M., now deceased, and Charles E., of St, Louis. He has served as selectman, and also as town representative. Samuel Stanford, father of Curtis, married Polly Cobleigh in 1800, came to Burke Hollow in 1804, and remained here until his death in 1839, aged sixty years. He served as justice of the peace, and was town representative in 1878. 

    Samuel Silsby, a native of Ackworth, N. H., reared ten children. His son Wendell served in the War of 1812, moved to Lunenburgh, where he died about 1870, aged ninety-two years. He married Susan Blood, and reared nine children. His son Harvey served in the late war, in Co. B, 11th Vt. Vols., and has resided in the village of West Burke sixteen years. He married Celia Bloss, and has had six children, as follows: Jonas H., of Hartford, Conn., Charles, who served in Co. K, 8th Vt. Vols., William H., who served in Co. K, 8th Vt. Vols., Wendell, who served in Co. B, 11th Vt. Vols., Mary E. (Mrs. Orange C. Spencer), of Westmore, Vt., and Annette. 

    Joshua Warren married a Miss Walter, and reared three children. His son Ira was born in Lyndon, married, first, Mary Bemis, of Spencer, Mass., who bore him three children, Lorenzo, Charles and Edwin, and second, Abigail Merryfield. He died in West Royalston, Mass., in 1875, aged seventy years. His son Lorenzo came to West Burke in 1843, married Amanda M. Colby, July 2, 1858, and has had born to him four children, namely, Anna M., Nellie A., Frank L. and Ernest J.  Anna M. married Frank W. Norris and lives in Springfield, Vt. Mr. Warren has served the town three terms as selectman. 

    Daniel Way, son of Thomas, was born in Lyme, Conn., in 1744, married Ruth Moor, and reared eight children. His son Martin moved to Sutton in 1828, married Lucinda Gee, of Marlow, N. H., and had born to him two children, Nathan and Erastus. The latter came to Burke in 1860, married Cynthia Newell and has two children, Emerson A. and Ida L. He is a hardware merchant at West Burke. 

    Zeeb Gillman married Hannah Kendrick, and reared six children, of whom David married Betsey Perkins, and has had born to him five children, John, Zeeb, Julia, Mary and George. The last mentioned lives in this town with his father on road 26. 

    Josiah Ladd, son of Elias, was born in Sandwich, N. H., in 1777, moved to Lyndon, and died there at the age of sixty-seven years. He married Marion Webster, and had born to him eleven children, of whom Asa H. married four times, first, Mercy Quimby, who bore him one son; second, Dolly Quimby, sister of his first wife, who bore him five children. He married for his third wife Hannah Whitten, and for his fourth wife Sophia Dow. His daughter Mercy M. (by his second wife) married David W. Wishart, and her children are Mary H., and Alice E. and Albert H., twins. They live on a farm on road 25. 

    Richard T. Boyce was born in Newbury, Vt., now lives in Stark, N. H., and has reared children as follows: William A., Osman B., George P., Elizabeth A., Mary A., Martha, Carrie, John W., who served in the late war in Co. K, 10th Vt. Vols., James M., who served in Co. B, 10th Vt. Vols., and Allen R. The last mentioned married twice, first, Sarah D. House, who bore him five children, viz.: Alice, Alma, Flora, James W. and Alfred A.  He married for his second wife Helen M. Howard, and resides on road 47. He served as county judge in Essex county from 1882 to 1884, represented the town of Granby in 1861, has served as selectman, justice of the peace, town superintendent and notary public. 

    Moses Dunklee was a native of Lisbon, N. H., moved to Victory, Vt., in 1840, and married Jemima Jesseman. He died in Sutton, June 3, 1872, aged eighty-four years. Of his eight children, George J. married Alzina M. Keyes, and has had born to him five children, viz.: Florence A., Flora A., George F., Harley K. and May I. He is a veterinary surgeon and farmer and lives on road 48. 

    Hugh Ross, a native of Scotland, located in Barnet for a few years, and finally moved to Canada. Of his four children, William, born in Barnet, married Margaret Shaw, and reared ten children, of whom John A. came to this town in 1879, married Mary Bean, of Sheffield, and resides on a farm on road 48. Richard Jenness, grandfather of Mrs. Ross, was a soldier in the War of 1812, was a custom-house officer at Sheffield, and died in that town about 1848, aged about seventy-five years. 

    Solomon Nichols, a native of Charlestown, Mass, moved to Concord, Vt.,. at an early day, and married Mary Goodell. His son Asa was born in Concord, and moved to Waterford, where he died in 1876, at the age of eighty-two years. He married Sally Goodell, and had born to him five children, of whom Robert married Katherine M. Whipple, and has had born to him nine children, viz.: Alvin D., Alura M., Elmira M., Elwin F., Charles D., Merritt A., Katie M., Bertrand F. and Glenn D.  He now resides in West Burke on road 41. 

    Stephen Blanchard was born in 1780, married first, Polly Bigsbee, who bore him two children, and second, Rebecca Lake, and had born to him seven children, of whom Silas R., a native of West Windsor, Vt., came to this town in 1864, married Olive S. Collins, and has one daughter, Ella J. He lives on road 27. 

    Dyer Griffen, a life-long resident of England, reared six children. His son William married Mary Dow, moved to Granby, where he died April 22, 1835, at the age of seventy-two years. Of his five children, Edward D. came to, Burke from Granby in 1866, married Hannah Mathews, and has had born to him eight children, viz.: Caroline S., Oscar C., Otis E., William H., Curtis G., Benjamin J., Harry W., and Willis L.  He lives on road 40. Otis served in the late war, in Co. A, 9th Vt. Vols.  William H. served in Co. A, 1st Vt. H.A. 

    John Dodge married first, Louise Powers, who bore him three children, and second, Abigail Lyon, by whom he has had six children as follows: Herbert L., Louise P., Arvilla A., Eugene, Emmett and Willie. He now lives in Lunenburgh. Herbert L. married Laura M. Nichols, has one son, Murray A., and lives in this town on road 48. 

    Walter Bowman, a Revolutionary soldier, was a native of Littleton, N. H., and reared nine children, viz.: Walter, Daniel, Baxter, Zadock, Wallace, Royal, Hannah, Casandra and Cosby. Walter, Jr., married Martha Hall, and had born to him nine children, as follows: Martha J., Zadock, Janet W., Mariette, Cordelia M., Lovisa C., Louisa J., Lucretia A. and Walter R.  The last mentioned married Louisa Kilby and has had born to him eight children, viz.: Wallace B., Fayette W., Jeanette L., Willard E., Emeretta A., Mary L., Martha A. and Guy E.  He lives in this town on a farm on road 14. 

    Nelson Barney married Fanny Stacy, and had twelve children. He died in Charleston, Vt., in 1868. His son Alonzo married Ruth Gilson, and has one daughter, Martha M. He served in the civil war, in Co. H, 15th Vt. Vols., and now lives in this town, on road 14. 

    The Universalist church at West Burke, organized by its first pastor, Rev. Frank E. Healey, with twenty members, at an early period in the town's history, now has twenty-five members. The church building will seat 250 persons, and is valued, including grounds, at $4,000.00. Rev. J. Powers is the present pastor. 

     The Methodist Episcopal church, at West Burke, was also organized by its first pastor, Rev. E. W. Culver, at an early date, with about forty members. The church building, capable of seating 300 persons, is valued, including grounds, at $4,000.00. The society now has fifty members, with Rev. H. P. Cushing, pastor. 

     The Congregational church, at East Burke, was organized by John Fitch, of Danville, with eleven members, March 1, 1807. The first church building was erected in 1839. The present building, erected by the Baptists in 1845, will seat 300 persons, and is valued, including grounds, at $5,300.00. The society now has thirty-five members, with Rev. C. B. Hulburt, pastor. 

     The Union church, at Burke Hollow, was built by the several denominations of the town in 1825. The present pastor is Rev. C. T. McKensey. 

    The Union church, of East Burke was built in 1842. It will seat 300 persons. The society now has 139 members, with Rev. John McDowell, pastor. 

    The Baptist chapel, at East Burke, was originally built in 1856. The present building was erected in 1870. Services were first held here by Elder Rufus Godding. The chapel is valued, including grounds, at about $1,300.00.
 
 

(Source: Gazetteer of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887, Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 151-172)

This excerpt was provided by Tom Dunn.


Gazetteer and Business Directory of the Town of Burke, Caledonia County, VT., 1887-88
Burke Meeting House - 1825 - 1925 List of Pastors, Deacons & Parishioners.
Burke, Vermont Area Chamber of Commerce
Ca. 1858 Burke, VT Land Owners, Businesses & Features