is a large, irregularly outlined township, lying in the central part of
the county, in latitude 44º 26' and longitude 4º 54', and is
bounded on the north by Wheelock, east by St. Johnsbury, south by Barnet
and Peacham, and west by Walden and Stannard. In order to briefly trace
the history of the tract thus noted one must look back into the period
when New York contended for the possession of the “New Hampshire Grants.”
On a New York map of l779 there appears, among other townships and “plantations”
traced thereon, a tract marked “Hillsborough.” This tract embraced
nearly that now covered by Danville and parts of Walden and Hardwick. But
thanks to Ethan Allen and the “Green Mountain Boys,” the New York title
had to be given up. On October 27,1786, Vermont granted to Jacob Bailey,
Jesse Leavenworth and others, a new township lying about the center of
the Hillsborough grant, which was named Danville, for the following reasons:
During the struggle of the people of the New Hampshire Grants for a separate
state existence, the efforts of the Green Mountain Boys were encouraged
by the French consul, Hector St. John Crevecoeur, then at Boston. They,
wishing to show their appreciation of this service, named several townships
in honor of distinguished Frenchmen, and among them this township, for
the distinguished French admiral, D'Anville.
after this township was granted, difficulties began to arise between the
settlers and the several grantees, respecting the quantity of land to which
they were entitled. Settlers' meetings were holden, and committees chosen;
there were proprietors' meetings and conferences; but, seemingly, all to
no purpose. Finally, the matter was referred to the assembly. Commissioners
were appointed, the grounds of difference investigated, and a report made.
The result of these investigations and deliberations was, that the general
assembly decided in issuing, and did accordingly issue, a new or “quieting
charter” to the proprietors, November 12, 1802.
survey of the township was made by Eben Thompson, who came here as early
as 1787, and was one of the first who settled in the northern part of the
town. Joshua Stevens sometime after made a re-survey, altering the former
lines in certain cases, clipping certain lots, and adding to others. His
survey was considered the nearest correct, and the lines as established
by him were adhered to in all later transactions. Considerable additions
to the original area of the township have been made however. The first
was made on October 29, 1792, when Walden Gore, containing 2,828 acres,
and situated in the western part of the town, was annexed. The next addition
was the annexation of a part of Dewysburgh, a tract of 5,310 acres. This
lay between Danville and Peacham, and from its shape, was called "The Boot."
It was chartered to Elijah Dewey and associates, February 28, 1782, was
subsequently organized as a township, and was represented in the general
assembly four years. In November, 1810, it was divided by the legislature
and a part annexed to Peacham and a part to Danville, thus increasing the
township to its present large area of 33,483 acres. On November 5,
1792, Caledonia county was incorporated and Danville was subsequently settled
as its shire town. This honor it enjoyed till 1855, when St. Johnsbury
became the county seat. During this period the town received one other
mark of distinction, viz.: In 1805 the general assembly convened here,
the House meeting in the old court-house and the Council in the hall of
the hotel. The court-house then stood on the west side of the green, nearly
opposite the bank.
of Danville is rough and mountainous, though the town is well watered and,
timbered, and not surpassed in the northern part of the state for the depth
and richness of its soil and the abundance and variety of its productions.
The eastern part of the town is elevated about 200 feet above the Connecticut,
and thence rises to about 800 feet in the western part. It is watered by
numerous streams of pure water, which rise in the higher lands of Wheelock,
Walden and Cabot. Joe's pond lies mostly in the western part of the township
and covers about 1,000 acres. It discharges its waters into
the Passumpsic by Merritt's river, or Joe's brook. At its outlet a large,
never failing sheet of water falls seventy-five feet over a limestone ledge.
In the northern part of the town are Sleeper's brook and North brook.
Danville had a population Of 2,003 souls. In 1886 the town had nineteen
school districts and nineteen common schools, employing twenty-three female
teachers, to whom was paid an average weekly salary, including board, of
$4.65. There were 462 scholars, twenty-seven of whom attended private schools.
The entire income for school purposes was $3,010.83, while the total expenditures
were $2,970.61, with T.W. Darling, superintendent.
a post village, universally known as "Danville Green," is the principal
center of business in the township. When the location of the court-house
and county buildings was the ruling theme in the newly organized county
of Caledonia, Danville having been selected as the site, two men, the Messrs.Hartshorn,
offered to give a site for the buildings if they would be located upon
their land. Accordingly, the committee chose the beautiful and sightly
spot where the village now stands, and deeds were passed conveying the
land which comprised the “Green” and the sites of many of the surrounding
buildings, “for so long as the county buildings were, continued thereon.”
A village had begun to grow about a mile to the east, but it was rapidly
abandoned and the new one more rapidly built up about the court-house,
continuing to increase until the removal of the courts to St. Johnsbury.
The old courthouse is now occupied as a town hall. Five streets radiating
from the “Green” are bordered upon each side by the dwellings and places
of business of the citizens. The Congregational and Methodist societies
have church edifices here. Caledonia National bank, with a capital of $100,000.00
accommodates the public financially, while the Elm House furnishes entertainment
for transient travelers and summer boarders. Situated 2,500 feet above
sea level and 900 feet above St. Johnsbury, its broad views and pure air
draw hither many seekers after rest. Danville station, on the Vermont division
of the B. & L. R. R., is less than one-fourth of a mile from the “Green.”
The North Star, a local weekly paper, is published here.
Danville (p. o.) contains a Baptist church, store, grist-mill saw- mill,
several shops, and about twenty dwellings. It is situated about five miles
northeast of the “Green,” and two miles from the line of St. Johnsbury.
George D. Gilman owns the oldest house at this village. It was built by
General Chamberlain about 1787.
(p. o.) is the- name of a station on the B.& L. R.R. and a village
about two and a half miles west of the “Green,” at the outlet of Joe's
pond. A score of dwellings, a sash and blind manufactory, gristmill, saw-mill,
and two stores constitute the remainder of the village. A hotel was formerly
kept here, but being destroyed by fire has not been rebuilt, though Joe’s
pond, widely celebrated as a fishing ground and pleasure resort, attracts
numerous visitors, and there is no hotel within three miles of it.
Danville (p. o.), though small, was a busy place until the destruction
of Greenbank's woolen-mills, by fire, December 14, 1885. A general store
and grist-mill now do business here, and the valuable waterpower will undoubtedly
soon be improved for manufacturing.
National Bank was originally organized in 1826, as a state institution,
with a capital of $50,000. In May, 1865, it was re-chartered as a
national bank, and its capital increased to $100,000. The first president
of the institution was William Palmer, who served only six months, when
he was succeeded by Augustine Clark. Since then the succeeding
presidents have been Samuel Sias, George V. Chandler, Ira Brainard, L.
M. Delano, Orra Crosby, Bliss N. Davis, Samuel Ingalls and James W. Simpson,
the present incumbent. As near as can be ascertained the first board of
directors were as follows: William Palmer, Samuel Sias, Franklin Deming,
Dr. Shedd and William Baxter. The present officers are as follows: James
W. Simpson, president; James E. Mattocks, cashier, and James Crane, George
B. Davis and John Farrington, directors.
Greenbank's woolen-mill at South Danville, was originally built by Harrison
Bolton, in 1845, and was purchased by Mr. Greenbank in 1849. He made large
improvements on the structure in 1855, and again in 1875, so that he lately
employed forty-five hands, had thirty-six broad looms, and manufactured
about 700 yards of cloth per day. The mill was burned December 14, 1885,
and Mr. Greenbank has removed to Enfield, N.H., where he is employed in
Gilbert's grist-mill, on road 71, was originally built in 1787. Mr. Gilbert
purchased the mill in 1875, and grinds about 7,000 bushels of wheat per
year. The mill has three runs of stones.
Morse's machine and repair shop, on road 73, was established by William
H. and S. H. Nutting, about 1847, and was purchased by Mr. Morse about
Fisher's saw and grist-mill, on road 84, was built by Alvin Morrill and
Oliver Morse about 1830. In 1871 Mr. Fisher, in company with
M. J. Morse, purchased the property, and in 1875 he became the sole owner.
The grist-mill has three runs of stones and grinds about 15,000 bushels
of grain per year, and the saw-mill cuts about 156,000 feet of lumber per
woolen mill, John Spencer, proprietor, was built by C.C. Shattuck, in 1878.
It has fourteen broad looms, two sets of cards, and has the capacity for
making 100 yards of cloth per day. Mr. Spencer employs six hands.
D. C. Farrington's
grist-mill, at West Danville, purchased by him in 1884, has four runs of
Merrill & Son's sash, blind and door factory, at West Danville, was
built by Knight & Farrington, in 1870, for a blacksmith and repair
shop, and was purchased by Mr. Merrill in 1871 and converted by him into
its present use in 1872. They manufacture about $1,000 00 worth of goods
per year and also do a general repair business.
Hubbell's saw-mill and butter-tub factory, on road 6, was re-built by him
in 1870, and again in 1882. He manufactures 350,000 feet of lumber, 75,000
shingles and 4,000 butter-tubs per year, also doing matching and planing.
B. Barron's grist-mill, located on the outlet of Joe's pond, at West Danville,
is operated by five Buzzell turbine wheels, under twenty feet fall.
It is fitted with four runs of stones, does a merchant business, using
from fifty to one hundred car-loads of corn per annum. He also does
custom grinding, and deals in flour. He has put in a side track from the
railroad, which furnishes the best of facilities for unloading grain.
Greenbank's saw-mill, on road 70, is operated by water-power, and does
custom-work, cutting about 250,000 feet of rough and undressed lumber per
J. Sanborn's wheelwright shop was purchased by him about 1872, and then
contained a custom provender mill. In 1886 he put in another
run of stones for grinding corn and feed.
Green's grist-mill, at North Danville, was purchased by him in 1875.
It has three runs of stones and grinds about 60,000 bushels of grain per
threshing machine and repair shop at North Danville, was established by
him, in company with his two brothers, in 1847. They manufactured fifty-one
machines, but he now does mostly a repairing business.
M. Wells's saw and planing-mill, at North Danville, cuts coarse timber,
early settlement of the town, we quote the following from one of the writers
in Miss Heminway's Historical Magazine.--
“In the spring of 1783 or '84, Charles Hackett, the
pioneer of, this mountain region, opened a spot for his cabin just south
of the house now occupied by Peter Bovee, on what is now called the 'Isaac
Morrill pitch.' This improvement was bought by Isaac Morrill, who subsequently
settled on the farm. Mr. Hackett made a second pitch upon a spot just north
of this first, now called the 'Charles Sias pitch.' This improvement
was bought by Capt. Charles Sias, for which he gave a cow. Mrs. Hackett
was the first woman who came into this town but, dreading the severity
of the winter, she remained only through the summer, and returned to Peacham.
In March, 1784, Capt. Charles Sias, with his family, made
the first actual settlement here. His wife was the first woman
who dared to breast the long and dreary winter of this deep and unbroken
wilderness. Mr. Sias drew his family and effects into town from Peacham
on a hand-sled. Mr. Sias brought with him ten children, seven sons
and three daughters, as follows: Solomon, Joseph, Charles, John, James,
Nathan, Samuel, Sarah, Polly and Abigail. The snow was very deep, and the
way was trackless. No mark was there to guide them, save the long line
of spotted trees leading away into the dark forests. The father, with Solomon,
Joseph, Charles and John, and three daughters, made the first company.
Mr. Sias, with two men to assist, went forward on snow shoes, and drew
the sled loaded with the girls and some goods, the boys following. They
reached their log cabin early in the afternoon, dug it out from beneath
the snow, which had nearly buried it, left John and the sisters to take
care of themselves through the night; the others returned to Peacham. John
was but eleven years old, and was the first male child that ever slept
in Danville. The next day came the mother with the other children on the
hand-sled. In three days more the effects were all moved, and the
lone family began their hard labors upon the wilderness. They commenced
by tapping the maples, which stood thick around them in the most beautiful
groves, affording them sugar in abundance, and supplied, in a great degree,
the lack of other food. Thus was settled the first family in this town.
The father, Charles Sias, was the first captain of the first military
company in town, and was one of the first members of the Calvinist Baptist
church in Danville. In this year, also, Sargent Morrill commenced chopping
in town. During the year 1785, or in the spring of 1786, some fifty emigrants
from New Hampshire and Massachusetts, Essex county, had settled here as
'squatters.' The first settlers in Danville were Charles Sias, Sargent
Morrill, Daniel Wheeler, Daniel Cross, Abraham Morrill, Jeremiah Morrill,
Abner Morrill, Paul Morrill, Joseph Magoon, Timothy Batchelder, E.Howard,
James Kiteridge and Israel Brainard. In General Bailey's list of
some years after, among the proprietors' records, the number of settlers
As winter approached in 1786, all of those who had come into the
town, except Charles Sias and Daniel Cross, returned to their homes.
In the following spring they returned, their numbers being augmented by
forty additional families, and as early as 1789 this number had increased
to 200 families. "
was organized March 20, 1787, the meeting being held at the house of Daniel
Wheeler, when the following list of officers was elected: Sargent Morrill
moderator; Abraham Morrill; town clerk; Charles Sias, Israel Brainard and
Jeremiah Morrill, selectmen; Daniel Wheeler, constable; Zebediah Parker,
tythingman; Abner Morrill, Charles Sias, James Kiteridge and Joseph Magoon,
surveyors of highways; Samuel Fuller, ____ Hayward and Timothy Batchelder,
birth was that of Danville Howard, in the summer of 1787. He only lived
three years. The first marriage was that of Joseph Page to Abigail Morrill,
December 25, 1788. The first store was opened by John Webber, in 1790.
the war of 1812, Danville raised a company to serve six months, which was
stationed near the Canada line. Joseph Morrill was the captain; John A.
Stanton, lieutenant; Luther Bugbee, ensign; Harvey Kelsey, Luke Swett,
Plummer Sawyer (who had already starved in the war of the Revolution),
Samuel Langmaid, John Bickford, Peter Heath, William Heath, Asa Glines,
Moses Varney, Jason Wilkins, Samuel Long, James Watson, Leavitt Daniels,
Stutson West, Ephraim Hartshorn, Jerry Walker, Josh Otis, Noah Willey,
privates; who were stationed at Portsmouth, N. H. At the expiration of
the six months, Captain Morrill's company was discharged. He then raised
a volunteer company of “year's men,” who served till peace was declared.
Solomon Langmaid served as a dragoon at the battle of Plattsburgh. Hiram
Kelsey raised a company, but was not called out. During the winter of 1812,
also, two companies of Kentucky dragoons, commanded by Captains Hall and
Butler, were quartered here on account of abundance of forage and provisions.
the years from 1861 to 1865, inclusive, Danville furnished, under the different
calls of the President of the United States, 245 men, an excess of five
men more than she was called on to furnish for her share. But, although
she furnished that number under the several calls, she never had that number
of different men in the field, for as the time of some expired they re-enlisted,
others who had been discharged by reason of disease contracted in the service,
recovering, re-enlisted, and each man that re-enlisted counted twice on
the town's quota. During the draft, when $300.00 was considered equal to
a man, eighteen were drafted, fourteen of whom paid their commutation,
two furnished substitutes, and two entered the army. Taking from the whole
number 245, those who re-enlisted and those who paid commutation under
the draft, it leaves 194 different men who entered the service. Of this
number nine entered the naval service. The whole number killed, or who
died immediately after of wounds received in battle, were twelve. The whole
number who died from disease were twenty-one, while two died, immediately
after their discharge from disease contracted while in the service. The
whole number who died from any cause was thirty-five, and thirty-five from
one hundred and twenty-five shows the extent that the town suffered from
the death of her men. The taxpayers of the town decided that all money
appropriated for the war should be raised by immediate taxation, and thus
when the war ceased the efforts and sacrifices of the town in that respect
ceased, and there was no large debt left in the town to be carried along
from year to year as a burden to its taxpayers. The first money appropriated
was on the 13th of January, 1863, and the last on the 20th of February,
1865; and thus in a little over two years $36,000.00 was paid by the taxpayers
of the town.
Ingalls, a native of England, came to America when ten years of age. He
came to Danville, from Plymouth, N. H., at an early day, was the first
clerk and one of the first deacons of the Congregational church, of which
he was also chorister. He was a farmer and was also engaged in manufacturing
chairs, plows, etc. Samuel, one of his five children, lived in town most
of his life, was a dealer in furniture, which he also manufactured, was
engaged in the lumber business at Littleton, N. H., and in trade in Canaan,
N. H. He was justice of the peace for over thirty years, and was president
of the Caledonia National bank. He died in this town, in 1853. Of his children,
Charles, A. L., and Mrs. Harriet Batchelder reside in town, and Mrs. Mary
A. Ferguson lives in Barnet.
Brainerd came to Danville, from New Hampshire, at an early day, locating
about one mile from the center of the town. He was a man of much ability,
took an active interest in town affairs, and was one of the first deacons
of the Congregational church. His son Asa, who came here at the age of
ten years, was a farmer and butcher, and spent the remainder of his life
here. He married twice, and reared seven children, of whom Ira, who now
lives in Newbury, Vt., was president of the Caledonia National bank and
was engaged in mercantile business for a number of years. Hiram lives in
town; and Asa lives in Cleveland, O. Charles D. Brainerd was born in Danville,
September 11, 1842, is a farmer, and was educated at Phillips academy.
He served in the late war, was second lieutenant and first lieutenant of
the 17th Vt. Vols., and was also captain of Co. F, of the same regiment.
He has been lister, justice of the peace, was assistant judge of Caledonia
county from December, 1880, to December, 1882, and was member of the Senate
in 1882 and in 1884.
Harris, with his four sons and four daughters, came to Danville from Methuen,
Mass., about 1787, and located about a mile southeast of Danville village.
His children were as follows: Timothy, Abner, Philip, Enoch, all of whom
married, were farmers, and lived in town the remainder of their lives.
Hannah, who married Thomas Hoyt, Lydia, who married Dr. Uri Babbett, a
Revolutionary soldier, Miriam, who married Mr. Sumner, and another daughter
who died young. Albert, of St. Johnsbury, and William H., of this town,
are sons of Enoch. The latter was born in 1813, has been colonel of militia,
and was recruiting officer during the late war. He has also taken an active
interest in town affairs has been selectman, justice of the peace, overseer
of the poor, and was town representative in 1867-68. Three of his sons,
Cyrus, Frank H., and Calvin J. B., served in the War of the Union. Cyrus
was wounded in Wilson's raid, was taken prisoner, and died in prison. Frank
H. was wounded at the battle of the Wilderness but recovered, and is now
a hotel keeper in Lowell, Mass. Calvin J. B. is in Yankton, Dak., is a
lawyer and real estate dealer, and is mayor of the city. Enoch is superintendent
of the St. Johnsbury granite works. One daughter, Mrs. Nay, lives in town,
and another daughter, Mrs. Lawrence, lives in Lowell, Mass. Abner,
son of Timothy, Jr. reared a family of nine children, three of whom now
reside in town, viz.: Timothy V., Abner and Levi H.
Hoyt came to Danville from Canterbury, N. H. at an early day, was a farmer,
and died here in 1850, aged eighty-eight years. Three of his nine children
are living, two of whom, William A. and Mrs. Achsa Cook, live in Danville.
Babbett came to Danville, from Hanover, N. H., at an early day, was a prominent
physician, and practiced his profession over fifty years. He was a soldier
in the Revolution, and a surgeon in the War of 1812. He married Lydia Harris,
who bore him twelve children, only two of whom are now living, John W.
and Samuel A., both of whom are physicians in Michigan. Dr. Babbett died
December 5, 1844.
Hayward, or Howard, came to Danville, from Massachusetts, about 1779, and
located about a mile from the village. He came in the month of March, and
drew his two children on a hand-sled from Peacham. Of his family of seven
children, one son, the first male child born in town, was named Danville,
died in infancy, Betsey became the wife of William Haviland, and the rest
Kittredge came to Danville with his father, Samuel, from Tewksbury, Mass.,
about l785. Five of his nine children are living, of whom Uri B. lives
in Danville, and Mrs. Maria D. Brown lives in Peacham. Mr. Kittredge died
Pettengill came to Danville, from Methuen, about 1785, and settled on the
farm where Frank Pettingill now lives. His sons Edmond and Moses also occupied
the same farm. The latter reared ten children, seven of whom are living,
and died in 1874.
Danforth came to Danville, from Hollis, N.H., about 1790, settled on road
73, where A. G. Danforth now lives, and died in 1830. His sons, Luther,
Ralph, Asa, Jonathan, David and Leonard, came with him to this town, but
David, Luther and Asa moved to New York. Leonard located on the farm where
his father first settled, and reared five sons and five daughters, of whom
three sons and three daughters are living, viz.: Abert G., who resides
on the homestead; Henry C., who lives on road 48; H. B., who lives in Taunton,
Mass.; Louise, who became the wife of Col. William Harris; Florinda (Mrs.
Alvin Bolton); and Betsey, who became Mrs. Gray. Leonard and his son Alwin
served in the late war.
Badger moved to Barnet from Connecticut at an early day, and built the
first saw-mill in that town. He afterwards removed to Danville, where he
resided many years, and died in Greensborough, Orleans county. His son
Enoch also resided here many years, and reared a family of ten children,
only five of whom are living, all residing in town.
Badger was born in Danville, about 1781, and died here in 1863. His son
Charles W. now reside on road 68, and in company with his two sons carries
on a large farm.
one of the early settlers of the town, came here from Londonderry, N. H.,
and located in the eastern part of the town. He was a shoe-maker by trade,
and also a farmer. He reared eight children, one of whom, Sophia, became
the wife of Nathan, son of Enoch Badger.
came to Danville, from Winchester, N. H., and early settled here. He married
Lydia Wheaton, of St. Johnsbury, who was supposed to have been the first
white child born in that town. Mr. Steams died here in 1851, and his widow
died in 1884, in her ninety-first year. Three of their seven children are
living, viz.: William, in Plymouth, N. H., a daughter in Montgomery county,
Tex., and Mrs. Dole, in this town.
Hartshorn came here from Danvers, N.H., as one of the first settlers, and
located at Danville Green, where he cleared a farm. He and Dea. Thomas
Dow gave the grounds for the county buildings at that place. He died in
1799. He reared a family of six or seven children, most of whom located
in town. His son Charles C. P. was born in town, in 1799, has always resided
here, and has been engaged in farming. His two children are Mrs. H. K.
Morse and Benjamin D., who is at present the first selectman of the town.
Susan Eaton, daughter of Aaron Hartshorn, lived to the age of 102 years.
Morse, one of the early settlers of Danville, resided in the eastern part
of the town on the farm where J. Wesley Morse now lives, was a farmer and
a physician, and practiced his profession for many years. He married twice
and reared twenty-one children, a number of whom located in this vicinity.
His son Oliver was born here about 1805, and resided in town till his death
in 1875, when he was killed by the fall of a tree. Three of his seven children
are now living, namely, Marshall J., Frank A. and Charles E. One
son, Alden W., died in 1885. He was engaged in trade here for a number
of years. Dr. John H. Morse, son of Dr. Oliver, was born in town, was a
farmer and a physician, and practiced medicine here many years. One son,
Sereno, now resides in town. Dea. Amos Morse, son of Oliver, was
born in 1802, and has lived in town most of his life. He was a deacon of
the Congregational church for many years, and now resides with his son
P. Taylor, a soldier of the War of 1812, was born in Danville, in 1795,
lived at West Danville, was a miller and owned and run a saw and grist-mill
at that place. He died in 1875. Of his family of ten children, seven are
now living, two of whom reside in Washington county, Vt., and the others
in this county. His son Edward, who resides in Danville, served in the
late war and was taken prisoner.
Stevens came to Danville, from New Hampshire, about 1785, settled in the
northern part of the town, and reared five sons and four daughters, one
of whom, Mrs. Lorinda Dickson, resides in Janesville, Wis. Stephen, son
of James, was born in town, about 1798, and resided here till his death,
about 1874, aged seventy-two years. He reared three sons and five daughters,
of whom one son and three daughters are now living, and reside in this
town, viz.: Mrs. Emily Morse, Mrs. Mary A. Hill, Mrs. Augusta Dole, and
Lyman, who resides on road 34.
Stevens was born in Great Falls, N. H., in 1804, and came to this town
when fifteen years of age, and located at North Danville. He has been engaged
in farming, and is a veterinary surgeon. He has taken an active interest
in town affairs, has been lister, selectman, overseer of the poor, justice
of the peace, etc. He married Lydia Swasey, and has had born to him seven
children, three of whom are now living, namely, Moses A., of Kirby, Lydia
F. and Charles L., of this town, The latter is engaged in farming and breeding
Sias, a native of Royalston, Vt., came to Danville, as an early settler,
was a farmer and a local Methodist minister. He was clerk of the town forty
years, justice of the peace many years, and died December 5, 1860. John,
one of his seven children, resides in town, and has been justice of the
peace several years. Samuel, a brother of Archelaus, was also a resident
of this town, was president of the Caledonia National bank, assistant judge,
etc. Solomon was a Methodist minister, and also edited Zion's Herald, in
Boston. Jerry was a farmer, lived in the eastern part of the town, and
died in Danville village. John, a farmer, also resided in town.
M. Morrill, son of Abel, came to Danville, with his father, from Methuen,
Mass., about 1800. He was one of the principal businessmen of the town,
and was engaged for many years in carriage building, blacksmithing, lumber
manufacturing, and operating a grist-mill. He and his brother Ebenezer
owned and operated a stage line from Haverhill, N. H., to Stanstead, P.
Q., using forty horses in the business. He died in 1864, aged seventy-eight
years, and left four children, namely, Manning, of Lyndon, Edwin R., Catharine
(Mrs. Gilson), of McIndoes Falls, Vt., and Susan, wife of French Morrill,
Green came about 1795, and settled in the southeastern part of the town,
where he engaged in farming. He afterwards removed to Holland, where he
died. His son Samuel W. was born in Danville, in 1804, and resided here
till his death in 1880. Three of his children live here, namely, George
I., Walter and Mrs. Laura A. French.
Green came to Danville, from Salem, Mass., some time previous to 1798,
and cleared a farm in the northern part of the town, on the place now owned
by Charles Shaw. He reared eight children, five of whom are living, viz.:
Mrs. J. S. Stanton and F. W., of this town, Betsey, of Newport, Ahira,
of Derby and Mrs. Cynthia Ayer, of St. Johnsbury.
Davis came here from Tewksbury, Mass., about 1794 and settled at South
Danville on the place where Henry Lowell now lives. He built a grist-mill
at that place, which was burned while he was gone to Massachusetts after
his family. He brought the nails and glass from Massachusetts, on horseback,
and on his return rebuilt the mill. He afterwards moved to the farm where
George B. Davis now lives. He took a prominent part in town affairs, was
justice of the peace, and held several other offices. He reared one son
and three daughters and died in 1817. His son, Salura, was born in Tewksbury
in 1784, and was ten years of age when he came to Danville. He was one
of the board of listers, who first prized the property of the town, served
as town representative, was selectman several years, was also captain of
a company of cavalry, and was familiarly known as Captain Davis. He married
Abbie T., daughter of Col. Robert Johnston, of Newbury, a colonel in the
war of the Revolution, and reared four sons and two daughters, as follows:
Walter and George B., who reside in this town, Charles J., of Chicago,
James H., who is in Colorado, Myra J., a teacher in Darien, Conn., and
Abbie R. who died in Chicago. George B. is largely engaged in farming,
also deals in agricultural implements, and is one of the directors of the
Caledonia National bank.
N. Davis was born at Vergennes, Vt., December 8, 1801, studied law with
James Bell, of Walden, and was admitted to the bar at Danville. He commenced
the practice of law at Hardwick, where he remained until 1850, when he
removed to Danville, where he resided until his death, February 11, 1885.
He represented Hardwick in the legislature, and was one of the senators
from the county. He was president of the bank for a number of years, was
states attorney, and took an active part in politics and temperance, and
in all matters pertaining to the welfare of the town. He was a member of
the Congregational church, married Eliza Bell, of Walden, and reared a
family of five sons and three daughters. Of these, Dr. Albert A. and S.
Edward live in New York, George A. is a dealer in agricultural implements
in San Francisco, Mrs. William H. Moore lives in Wisconsin, and Emily resides
in this town.
Dole came to Danville from New Bedford, Mass., about 1798, and settled
on the farm where his grandson, E. J. Dole, now lives, on road 49. He reared
a family of thirteen children, all of whom located either in Danville or
the adjoining towns. He died in 1831. His son Stephen, who was eight years
of age when he came here with his father, was a mechanic and inventor,
and invented the one-horse threshing machine, the first used in this vicinity.
He reared twelve children, eight of whom are living, as follows: Eleanor
(Mrs. Clement), who resides in Washington, D.C., Martha C. (Mrs. Morrill),
of Barnet, Annis S. (Mrs. O. Neal), of Walden, E. J., Laura W. (Mrs. Morse),
Joel R., William M., and J. Murry. Stephen studied two years at West Point,
took an active interest in military affairs, and was major-general of militia.
He was also selectman of the town, etc.
Morrill and his son Samuel came to Danville from Loudon, N. H., about 1798,
and located on the farm where C. L. Morrill now lives. The house where
the latter lives was built in 1801. Samuel reared six sons and one daughter.
Of these, Judge Calvin Morrill located at East St. Johnsbury, engaged in
mercantile business, and died in 1884; Dea. Benjamin, the only one living
resides at Orfordville, N. H.; Cyrus died in Derby; Dea. Asa moved from
Danville to East St. Johnsbury, where he died in 1861; Trew died in Danville;
Samuel died in St. Johnsbury when a young man; and the daughter married
R. W. Miner, of Peacham. Dea. Asa married twice, and reared a family of
six children, five of whom are living. One son, Stephen S., was a Congregational
minister, graduated at Chicago, and preached in Malden, Ill. He entered
the army as chaplain, served two years, when he returned to New Hampshire,
and preached there and in Massachusetts. He died in Danville in 1878. The
five children of Dea. Asa now living are Mrs. H. T. Lay, Mrs. W. A. Merrick,
both of Illinois, Mrs. Hamilton, of Iowa, Mrs. J. A. Webster and Dea. Charles
L. The latter has been deacon of the Congregational church for the past
and Abel Guild, brothers, came to Danville from Northfield, N. H., at an
early day, and settled in the western part of the town, where they cleared
farms. Abel died in 1860, James having died a number of years previous.
John, son of James, was born in Danville, in 1812, and resided in this
vicinity until his death in 1883. He had born to him two children, Mrs.
Abbie Adams and Alfred, both living in this town. The latter has been engaged
in mercantile business at West Danville three years, and has also been
engaged in farming.
Webster came to Danville from New Hampshire, about 1790, and located on
road 25, where he started a clearing. He afterwards removed to the farm
where Uri Kittridge now lives, and died in 1852. He reared a family of
eleven children, four of whom are now living, namely, Mark C., George W.,
Betsey (Mrs. Cole), and John A.
Langmaid came to Danville, from Tunbridge, Vt., at an early day, and located
on the farm where Edward Taylor now lives. He reared a large family of
children, one of whom, Solomon, lives in Iowa, and is ninety years of age.
One son, Willard K., resides in town, served in the War of 1812, and now
draws a pension.
Haviland came to this town, from Westchester county, N.Y., some time previous
to 1800 and settled near the village. One son, Ebenezer, moved west. The
others, Samuel, William, Benjamin C. and one daughter, Deborah, who became
Mrs. Batchelder, remained in town. One son of Benjamin resides in town,
and Walter, son of William, also lives here. Two daughters of Samuel, Mrs.
Joel R. Sanborn and Mrs. W. D. Huntress, live in town.
Hooker came here from Sturbridge, Mass., about 1800, and settled on the
farm where his son George W. now lives. He was a farmer, and died in 1883,
in his ninety-first year. George W. served nearly two years in the
Weeks, from New Hampshire, located, in 1800, on the place where Peter Weeks
now lives. He died there about 1834. Three of his twelve children are now
living, two in this town, Mrs. Ruth Gage and Harrison Weeks, who lives
off road 5. John P. was born in 1812, lived on the farm where his
father settled, and practiced medicine. He married twice, reared fifteen
children, seven of whom are living, and died in 1882.
Drew came here from Gilmanton, N.H., about 1801, and cleared the farm where
his son now lives. He married first, Betsey Weeks, and second Eliza Norris.
He reared eighteen children, ten sons and eight daughters, of whom Ora
N., George R., Mrs. Maria Stanton, and Mrs. Sarah Stanton live in town,
and Mrs. Helen Forsyth lives in St. Johnsbury.
W. Stanton and three sons, Erastus, Isaac W. and John A. , came to Danville
from Holderness, N. H., in March, 1805, and located in the northern part
of the town.
J. Stanton born in 1808, has always lived in town. He has been engaged
in trade at North Danville about twenty years, has been post-master twenty
years, and has served as justice most of the time since 1835. He has been
lister about thirty-five years, has served as selectman, and was town representative
Gookin, 2d, came to Danville, from Washington, N. H., in 1806, and located
at South Danville, where he ran a carding-mill. He afterwards engaged in
farming and died in 1865. Of his children, two reside in town, and one
in Peacham. Daniel O., who resides on road 69, is engaged in the insurance
business. A Daniel Gookin also located at North Danville, and for a time
carried on the carding business at the mill now said to be the first carding-mill
ever brought to America.
Morse came here from Deering, N. H., in 1806, and located on the farm where
his son David W. now lives, on road 84. He reared a family of seven children,
four of whom are living, viz.: David W., who resides on the homestead,
James F., who is in Patterson, N.J., Mrs. Cummings, who lives in Barnet,
and Mrs. McCaffey, who resides in St. Johnsbury. Mr. Morse died in 1861
Thompson moved to Peacham, from Massachusetts, about 1804, and settled
in the northwestern part of the town. He reared three sons and five daughters,
one of whom, Harriet, became the wife of William S. Choate, who came to
Danville about 1808. He learned the cloth dressing trade at Peacham, and
was the first to engage in the manufacture of woolen goods there, and was
also engaged in that business at South Danville. He died at North Montpelier
in 1865. Three of his four children are now living, Edwin R. and Ann Maria
Taber, who reside at North Montpelier, and David W., 2d, of West Danville.
Woodward was born at Southbridge, Mass., in 1836, and graduated at the
Eclectic Medical college, of Worcester. He located at Danville in 1847,
since which time he has practiced his profession here.
Varney came to this town in 1811, and located at North Danville. He was
a clothier by trade, and run a wool-carding and cloth-dressing mill here.
He died in 1825. His sons Samuel and Charles continued the business, and
also run a saw and grist-mill, a part of which property they afterwards
sold. After Samuel retired from the firm, Charles continued to run the
grist-mill until about 1875. He is now engaged in farming.
Batchelder came here, from Conway, N. H., about 1815, and located on the
farm where his only son Jonathan, born in 1819, now lives. He married Mrs.
Susan Daniels. He died in 1842.
Batchelder came here from Barnstead, N.H., with his father, Jethro, when
about fourteen years of age. They located on the place now owned by Moses
M. Batchelder. Moses married Deborah Haviland and reared eight children,
five of whom are living, viz.: Moses M., Rebecca, Hiram, Frank C. and Mary
C., all residing in this town. Mr. Batchelder died about 1864.
A. Palmer was born at Hebron, Conn., September 12, 1781, and came to Vermont
about 1800. He studied law with Hon. Daniel Buck, of Chelsea, practiced
his profession in St. Johnsbury for a few years, and afterwards located
in Danville. Probably no man in the state ever held so many offices of
honor and profit. He frequently represented his town in the legislature,
held the office of supreme judge, was United States senator for seven years,
and was governor from 1831 to 1835. Governor Palmer was a man of extensive
influence, particularly among his own townsmen. He possessed a strong and
vigorous intellect, a mind well balanced, and a heart tender and benevolent.
Many a man in Danville could testify to his generosity in rendering pecuniary
assistance without security, and often times without the hope of return.
He married Sarah, daughter of Capt. Peter Blanchard, in 1813, and reared
seven children, of whom, JudgeWilliam B., Abial C., Henry W. and Frank
R. reside in Danville, and Judge Edward lives in Georgia.
Page came to Danville, from Gilmanton, N.H., about 1812, located at North
Danville, and died here in 1884. Two of his sons, William P. and N. H.,
live in town.
Sargent, with two sons and five daughters, came here from Canterbury, N.H.,
about 1810, and located in the northern part of the town. He died in Lancaster,
N.H., about 1846. His son John located about a mile from where his son
M.V.B. now lives, reared five children, four of whom are living, of whom
two sons and one daughter reside in Minnesota, and M.V.B. lives in town.
Charles, brother of John, moved to Illinois, where he now resides.
Fisher and his son Lewis came to Danville, from Putney, Vt., in 1806, and
settled on road 60. John, Allen and Abial, younger sons of Abial, also
located in town. Abial, Sr., died in 1828. Lewis was a Baptist minister,
and was ordained in 1821. In 1814 he settled on road 50, on the farm
where his son Joel H. now lives. He preached in various places and in his
own town, and reared nine children, only two of whom are living, Hiram
M., of Penacook, N.H., and Joel H., of this town. The latter was
born January 3, 1813, and has resided here most of his life. He has held
the office of lister twenty years.
Lee moved to Peacham, from Woodstock, Conn., in 1800, and in 1840 located
in Danville, on the farm where Charles W. Badger, who married his daughter,
now lives. Mr. Lee died in 1877.
Cook moved to Waterford, from Rhode Island, at an early day, and practiced
his profession there for many years. He was a prominent member of the Masonic
fraternity, and died in that town in 1817. William, one of his four children,
was born at Waterford, about 1809, moved to Danville some time previous
to 1830, where he resided until his death in 1874. He run the grist-mill
at West Danville about thirty years. Of his children, H. W. and George
W. reside in town, and Frank W. lives in Peacham. H. W. has been engaged
in the manufacture of clothing at Danville, about thirty-two years, has
been town agent, and has served as justice of the peace seventeen years.
W. Preston, born in Burke, December 8, 1830, was a son of William and Mary
(Hull) Preston, and when four years of age, moved with his parents to Danville.
He fitted for college at Danville academy, and entered Brown university
in 1851, but his health failing, he was obliged to leave, and by the advice
of physicians sailed for Australia. He resided there for a short time,
and then went to California. After four years he returned to Danville,
and engaged in farming. In September, 1861, he enlisted in the 1st Vt.
Cav., and was made recruiting officer. He was made captain of Co. D, at
the organization of that company. He became successively major, lieutenant-colonel
and colonel, and was killed at the battle of Cold Harbor, June 3, 1864.
Wakefield came to St. Johnsbury, from Maine, at an early day, and located
near where the village now is. His son Lorenzo P. was born in that town,
but removed to Lyndon, about 1837, and died in West Concord, Vt., in November,
1873. He married three times, and reared a family of nineteen children,
fourteen of whom are living, of whom two, Daniel K. and Mrs. Martha Stevens,
live in this town. One, Horace, lives in St. Johnsbury, one resides in
Barton, five in Boston, four in Concord, Vt., and one in Ogdensburg, N.Y.
Daniel K., who was engaged in the bakery business in Boston for twenty-five
years, served as selectman of Danville in 1884.
Crane moved to St. Johnsbury, from Bethlehem about 1817, and located in
the eastern part of the town. Three of his sons now reside in Danville,
namely, James, George and Charles. The house in which George Crane now
lives was built by Dr. Uri Babbett, one of the earliest physicians of the
Wesson came to Danville, from Barnet, of which town his father was an early
settler. He married Phebe Brock, and reared five children, three of whom
are living, viz.: Mrs. Hannah Martin, of Peacham, and Moses and Peter,
both of this town.
Frye moved to Concord, from Royalston, Mass., about 1790, and settled near
Concord Corners. He was a farmer, and was many years deacon of the Congregational
church. He reared six sons, all of whom located near him, viz.: Harvey
G., John, Hiram, Harry, Chauncy and Ebenezer. Harvey G. was a prominent
business man, was town clerk many years, was town representative, assistant
judge, etc., and died about 1866. John was a trial justice many years,
and died in l881. His only son, John L., lives in Danville, and is engaged
in auctioneering and farming. Ebenezer now lives at West Concord.
Currier moved to Peacham, from Connecticut, some time previous to 1800,
and settled in the eastern part of the town, where he resided until his
death. He reared four sons and four daughters, none now living. His son
David resided on the homestead. Moses T., son of David, now resides in
Carrick, a native of Scotland, settled in Barnet about 1805, near the center
of the town. He reared a family of eight children, two of whom are living,
namely, William, of Barnet, and Andrew, of Danville. Mr. Carrick died about
1876, aged ninety-one years.
Burbank moved to Walden, from Sanbornton, N.H., about 1800, and located
in the southern part of the town. Joseph was twelve years of age when he
came here with his father. He cleared a farm, and reared a family of five
children, three of whom are living, viz.: Nathaniel, who lives on the old
farm, Mrs. Philura Hibbard, of Walden, and Harvey, of Danville.
Holt, a native of Amherst, N.H., located in Ryegate about 1795, settling
in the center of the town. He was a blacksmith, and married Martha, daughter
of Capt. Acilles Towne, a Revolutionary soldier. He reared nine children,
three of whom are living, namely: Mary D., of Beebe Plain, Vt., Sophia
C., of Boston, and John, who now resides in Danville. The latter, born
June 19, 1811, was engaged for thirty years in running rafts down the Connecticut
river, and now lives at West Danville.
Northrop, a Revolutionary soldier, moved to Peacham from Connecticut, soon
after the Revolutionary war, and located near the Danville line. He reared
three children, Jonathan, Joseph and Prudie. Jonathan came to Danville
about fifty-seven years ago, and located on the place where his son James
now lives, where he remained until his death. Joseph always lived in Peacham,
and died in 1862. Two of his sons now reside in that town.
Brown came to Danville from Hinsdale, N.H., about 1825, and settled in
the southern part of the town. He was a carpenter by trade, was a farmer,
and was also engaged in the manufacture of starch. He died February 19,
1879. Ezra H., one of his five children, enlisted in the late war served
three years and nine months, and now resides on road 70.
Pope and his two brothers, Joseph and Perley P., came to Danville from
Massachusetts, before 1789. Eleazer bought land of Gen. Jacob Bailey, and
was the first settler on the place where B. F. Clifford now lives. He died
August 28, 1845, aged eighty-eight years. His son Allen was born on the
farm in 1796, and spent his life there.
Estabrooks was born in Keene, N.H., in 1777, came to Danville from Sheffield,
Vt., about 1807, and settled where Daniel P. Coveney now lives, when there
was but a small clearing upon the farm. He married Susan Colby, and died
September 4, 1848. His children were as follows: Pamelia born in 1808,
Tryphenia, born in 1810, Lucena, born in 1812, Samuel, Jr. born in 1814,
John, born in 1816, Amanda, born in 1824, Warren, born in 1827, and Susan
born in 1830. Samuel, Jr., married Elvira Northrop, and reared one son
and five daughters. Warren moved to St. Johnsbury, where he is engaged
in the mercantile business.
a native of Ireland, came to America, locating in St. Johnsbury, about
1831, and moved to the northern part of Danville in 1832, where he died,
aged eighty years. He was the father of eight children. His son Bernard
was born in Ireland, December, 1814, and came to America when seventeen
years of age. He married Mary Welch, of Montpelier, and four sons and four
daughters were born to them.
M. Ayer was born in Newfield, Me., studied medicine with Dr. Towle, of
Fryeburn, Me., graduated from the medical department of Bowdoin college,
in 1835, and began practice in Turner, Me. He married Abigail O. McMillan,
sister of Hon. Andrew McMillan, late of Danville, and came to this town
in 1839. Dr. Ayer wrote somewhat for the medical journals, was widely known,
and was a member of the Congregational church. He reared two children,
Dr. James M. and Emma D. He died April 14, 1878, aged sixty-six years,
and his widow died June 13, 1886. His son James M. graduated from Dartmouth
college in 1860, and from New York college of Physicians and Surgeons in
1855. After being engaged one year as resident physician in St. Luke's
hospital, he went to Buenos Ayres, South America, where he resided, in
general practice, until 1886.
Ward, of Dublin, N.H., moved to Wheelock at an early day. His three sons
came with him, Thaddeus and Josiah locating in Danville; and Samuel in
what is now Stannard. Thaddeus settled on the farm now occupied by his
son Thomas J. He died in 1862. Beside Thomas J., Samuel and Thaddeus, two
other sons reside in town.
church was organized by Rev. N. Lambert, of Newbury, Rev. E. Smith,
of Haverhill, N.H., and Rev. W. Cornwall, with twenty members, August 9,
1792. Rev. John Fitch was the first pastor. The first meeting-house was
built in 1790, of logs, and covered and floored with bark, and hence called
the “bark meeting-house.” A framed house was built in 1801, and though
it was never finished, was used as a place of worship for sixteen years.
Then the frame work of the present church at “The Green” was put
up, in the year 1817. It was built of wood, at a cost of $3,000.00, paid
in neat cattle and grain. This building was remodeled in 1851, and finished
in a modern style, and has not been changed very much since. It is a very
pretty country church, will comfortably seat 500 persons, and is valued
at $6,500.00. The society now has 130 members, with Rev. T. W. Darling,
Episcopal church, at Danville village, has 103 members, with Rev. Christopher
P. Flanders, pastor. Their first house of worship was built in 1822, and
the present structure was erected in 1884. It will comfortably accommodate
300 persons, and is valued at $6,700.00.
Free-will Baptist church, located at North Danville, was organized by its
first pastor, Rev. Thomas M. Jackson, with twelve members, April 19. 1825.
The society now has fifty-six members, with Rev. Mark Atwood, pastor. The
church building was erected in 1868, at a cost of $3,400.00. It is a wood
structure capable of seating 250 persons, and is valued, including grounds,
of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887,
and Published by Hamilton Child;
was provided by Tom Dunn.
Danville City Directory ~ Hamilton Childs
Census for Danville - VTGen Web
Census for Danville - VTGen Web
Civil War Volunteers - VTGen Web
Greenbanks Hollow Bridge
Township, Caledonia County