lies in the southwestern corner of the county, in latitude 44º 14'
and longitude 4º 45', bounded north by Peacham, east by Ryegate, and
south and west by the county line. It was granted November 7, 1780, and
chartered to Thomas Butterfield and his associates, October 20, 1789, containing
The surface of the town is beautifully diversified by mountain,
stream, valley and lakelet, while this diversity is not sufficiently pronounced
to retard cultivation of the soil. Though rather hard, the soil is well
adapted to the production of grass and grain, of which a large percentage
repays proper cultivation. In the eastern part of the territory the
soil is much easier of cultivation and much less stony than in other parts.
The timber is mostly spruce and hemlock, interspersed with maple, beech
and birch. Wells river flows a southeasterly direction through the town,
and with its branches and tributaries forms the water course of the township,
affording some good mill privileges. The principal branch flows an easterly
course, joining the stream in the south-eastern part of the town. The town
also has several natural ponds, the largest of which is Wells River pond,
through which flows Wells river. It lies in the northern part and is about
three miles long by three-quarters of a mile wide. Lund's pond, just southeast
of the former, covers about 100 acres and also lies in the course of Wells
river. Leverett H. Page has a hotel, the Lake House, at the foot
of this pond, for the accommodation of fishermen and pleasure parties.
Kettle pond lies in the extreme northwestern part of the town. It
covers about forty acres and received its name from the fact of Mr. Hosmer,
a hunter, having lost his camp kettle in its vicinity. Wbitcher mountain,
the highest elevation of land, lies in the southeastern part of the town,
having an altitude of 1,100 feet.
In 1880, Groton had a population of 1,014 souls. In 1886 the town
had eight school districts and eight common schools, employing one male
and eleven female teachers, to whom was paid an average weekly salary of
$8.50 to the former and $4.25 to the latter. There were 224 scholars, nine
of whom were attending the private schools. The entire income for school
purposes was $1906.47, while the total expenditures were $1857.47, with
A.M. Heath, superintendent.
Groton is a post-village located in the southeastern part of the
town, on Wells river, on the M.&W.R. R.R.
Groton Pond (p. o.) is the name given the hamlet at the outlet of
Wells River pond, made up of the employees of Baldwin & Hazen's mill
and their families.
Baldwin & Hazen's steam saw-mill, at the outlet of Wells River
pond, was built in 1883, to take the place of that burned on May 19th of
that year. The whole forest in this vicinity was on fire at that time,
and the people only escaped by getting out upon the pond on rafts, logs,
etc., where they were obliged to remain a day and a night. The present
owners of the mill came into possession in 1886. They employ sixty hands
and have facilities for turning out 50,000 feet of lumber per day.
Amazia H. Ricker's saw-mill, on road 17, occupies the site of the
first saw-mill erected in town, by Capt. Edmund Morse, about 1790, and
since which time the old mill has twice been succeeded by a new one. The
present mill was built by Walter Buchannan in 1840, and came into Mr. Ricker's
possession in 1857, who rebuilt most of it in 1875. The mill now has the
capacity for sawing about 1,500,000 feet of lumber per year. Mr. Ricker
employs twelve men.
Isaac M. Ricket's saw-mill, in Groton village, was built in 1865.
Mr. Ricker employs about fifteen men and does an extensive business.
Charles B. & Joseph T. Welch's saw-mill on road 34, was built
by Robert T. Heath in 1865. They employ eleven hands and turn out about
500,000 feet of lumber per year.
Daniel R. Darling's saw-mill, on road 34, was built by John Davis,
and ,came into Mr. Darling's possession in 1876. He employs four men and
turns Out 300,000 feet of lumber per year.
Thomas B. Hall's saw-mill on road 33, was built
by Daniel Coffrin and Jonathan Lund, about thirty years ago, and came into
Mr. Hall's possession in 1881. The mill turns out about 1,000,000 feet
of lumber per Year.
H. Welch & Son's saw-mill, on road 7, was
built by them in 1873. They employ eight men and turn out about 400,000
feet of lumber per year.
Heman L. Gilman's grist-mill, off road 28,
came into Mr. Gilman's possession in 1882. It does custom grinding.
Aaron Hosmer, a hunter, was the first to make a temporary sojourn
in the town. He pitched his tent on the land since known as the Orson Ricker
meadow, and thence made his way to the ponds, one of which, in Peacham,
still bears his name. He never made a permanent residence in town, however.
The first settler in the northern part of the town was Edmund Morse. James
Abbott located upon what has since been known as the Jacob Abbott farm.
A Mr. James settled upon the farm next south of Mr. Abbott. Capt.
Edmund Morse, the first military captain, and whose sword was a rusty scythe,
settled upon the farm next south of Mr. James. Mr. Morse built the first
saw and grist-mill in the town, and his daughter Sally, was the first child
born in the township.
Jonathan Welch came to this town, from Kennebunk, Me., at a very
early day, with his wife, Annie (Emory). He reared eight children, viz.:
Hosea, Medad, Betsey, Annie, Ruth, Joel, Jonathan and David. Hosea married
Mary Gray and reared ten children, seven of whom are living, viz.: Ara,
John, Hosea, Ira, Andrew, Eliza (Mrs. Lewis French), and Laura (Mrs. Harvey
Hitchcock). Hosea, Jr., married Harriet Darling, April 10, 1850, and has
had born to him seven children, viz.: Abbie J. (Mrs. David Miller), has
one child, Effie M.; Warren M. married Maggie B. Miller, September 21,
1874, has three children, Thomas L., Lizzie B. and Frank, and is located
on road 7; William H. is a physician, and married Lizzie A. Morrison; Loran
married Etta G. Welch, who bore him one child, Fred L., and died March
23, 1886; Florence B. married Alexander Page, and has two children, Bertha
M. and Hosea W.; Ida M. married Neil McRea, of this town; and Effie E.
lives at home. Hosea, Jr., was a member of the constitutional convention,
has served as constable seven years, overseer of the poor thirteen years,
and has been lister three years. Medad, son of Jonathan, married Abigail
Hosmore, and reared eleven children, viz.: George, Aaron, Hosea, Medad,
Martha, Clark, Darling, Benjamin F., Abigail, Merrill, and one who died
in infancy. He was a member of the Baptist church, and first lived where
Alexander G. Welch now resides. His son George married Charlotte Welch
and reared seven children, namely: Joel F., George, who served in the late
war, Charles D., Jane, who married Clinton Keith, Peter, Abigail, who married
George Lawrence, and Minnie. George, Sr., died October 17, 1865. Aaron,
son of Medad, married Johanna Plummer, who bore him seven children, as
follows: Samuel P., Martha, who married Nathaniel Page, of Ryegate; Horace,
who married Lydia Brown, has two children, Catharine J. and Sarah, and
lives in Montana; Abigail, Sarah, Alexander G., who married Delia Frost,
and has two children, Aaron and Isaac; Nancy, who married Frank Page, of
this town. The mother of these children died February 12, 1855, and Mr.
Welch married for his second wife Eliza Gibson, April 2, 1856, who bore
him four children, only one of whom is living, Clarence E., who is cashier
in a bank in Illinois. Mrs. Welch died June 17, 1865. Mr. Welch married
for his third wife Charlotte Welch, in 1866, and soon after opened the
hotel where he now is. Medad, Jr., went to California in 1849, where he
died. Clark married Lizzie Richardson, and is now deceased. Darling married
Arvilla Downing, has one child, Sarah, and lives in Minnesota. Benjamin
F. lives in Fort Scott, Kan., and married Sarah Snow. Merrill lives in
this town. Hosea, 2d, son of Medad, was born in 1820, carried on the grocery
business for over forty years, served as town representative three terms,
and has served as selectman and overseer of the poor, each six years. He
married Eliza Plummer in 1845, and has had born to him eight children,
viz.: Warren W., who married Lois Plummer, and died aged twenty-two years;
Fillmore, who married Nellie Holmes; Medad E., who married Julia E. Glover,
has one child, Ralph W., and is a merchant in town; Benjamin F., Eliza
A., who married Mathew Caldwell; Hosea N., Frank S. and Jennie L. Samuel
P., son of Aaron and Johanna (Plummer) Welch, was born in Groton, in 1843,
went to Montana at the age of twenty-three years, where he was engaged
in mining, farming, stock raising and various other affairs, and remained
there about seven years. He returned to this town in 1871, married Alzina
E. James, and again moved west, remaining about four years. His wife died
while there. His only daughter, Mary A. F., died early. He married for
his second wife Mrs. Abbie A. Paul, in January, 1874, and in the same year
opened a grocery store in company with A. B. Renfrew. Mr. Welch has had
born to him by his second marriage three children, Hannah E., Jefferson
R., both deceased, and William G. He was town representative in 1880-81,
has been lister three times, and is now selectman and a merchant.
Jonathan Welch, Jr., was a member of the Baptist church, of which
he was deacon fifty-three years, and reared ten children, three of whom,
Hosea, John H. and Ara, now reside in town. Ara married Mary Whitehill,
and reared nine children, four of whom are living, viz.: John M., Eliza
J. (Mrs. Archibald P. Renfrew), Leonard and Meroa (Mrs. Stephen R. Renfrew).
John H. married Martha J. Heath, and has two children, Mabel and Mary F.
Samuel Darling, one of eleven children, when a young boy came to
this town from Plaisted, N. H., with his father, John, who was among the
first settlers here. He married Catharine Welch, and reared thirteen children;
viz.: Hannah, Jonathan, Elnathan, Ira, Josiah, Aaron, Nathan, Eunice, Huldah,
Abner, Susan, Samuel and Stephen. The last two mentioned are the only ones
now living. Samuel married three times, first, Irene Page, who died in
1852, second, Betsey Page, who bore him three children, Caira I., Eva Ann,
and one who died in infancy, and third, Phebe Hosmer (Perkins Vance). Stephen
married twice, first, Mary A. Philbrick, who bore him one child now residing
in Kansas, and second, Sarah Welch.
Hon. Jonathan R. Darling began business as a merchant where Hall
& Cochran are now located, in which business he was engaged for ten
years. He was in company with Isaac M. Ricker, in the lumber business in
this village for eighteen years, but sold out in 1885. He has of late been
engaged in farming, and has a steam saw-mill in Peacham, Vt.
Nathan Darling, son of Samuel and Catharine (Welch) Darling, was
born in this town, was one of ten children, and married Drucilla Jenkins.
He reared eight children, viz.: Alamanda, Julia, who married Silas Morrison,
Rosina (Mrs. Hiram Wood), Lodeema (Mrs. Ed Moulton), Aaron, in Utah, Marshall,
in Minnesota, Robert and Isaac N. H. The last mentioned married Roxana
Vance, and has had born to him nine children, four of whom are living,
viz.: John H., George H., William V. and Etta G.
James Heath, son of Jesse, a Revolutionary soldier, came to this
town with his father at an early day, married Nancy Taisy, and reared four
children, of whom Robert T. married Lydia A. Brown, and has had born to
him seven children, five of whom are living, viz.: Caroline, Frank, Hazen,
Robert and Jane. Robert, Jr., married Ida M. Plummer, has two children,
Lydia M. and Annie B., twins, and lives with his father.
James W. Heath came here, from Peacham, in 1850, married Christie
McLaughlin, and has had born to him four children, namely; Albro, of this
town, Franklin, of Bethlehem, N. H., Martha J. (Mrs. John Welch), and Mary
J., who lives at home.
Timothy Morrison, son of Bradbury and Betsey (Emery) Morrison, was
born in 1805, on the place now occupied by J. W. Morrison. He married first,
Olive Paul, who bore him six children. She died in 1855, and for his second
wife he married Sarah B. Rhodes, of this town. The children by this marriage
are as follows: Jackson W., Martha J., Austin N. and Sarah B. Austin married
Carrie Plummer, and has one child, George W. Sarah married Kilburn
Howland, and lives in Lisbon, N. H.
Joseph Wormwood came to this town, from Kennebunk, Me., at an early
day, married Sarah Page, and reared ten children, only two of who are living
Melinda (Mrs. Russell Carter), of Michigan, and Daniel. The last mentioned
married four times, first, Nancy Randall, second, Bethia Durant, third,
Servestia Orr, who bore him four children, Martha (Mrs. William Gibson),
Rosie, and two who died in infancy, and fourth, Cynthia B. Hood.
John Taisy was born in Scotland, in 1791, came here when four years
of age, married Phebe Heath, and reared seventeen children, four of whom
are living in this town, viz.: Thomas, Maria (Mrs. J. R. Darling), Mary
J. (Mrs. I. M. Ricker) and William. The last mentioned married first, Maria
Paul, in 1837, who died in 1839. He married the same year Nancy Wilson,
and had born to him seven children, as follows: Mary, George W., Margaret
(Mrs. Harrison Mead), Henry W., of Newton, Mass., John, Mary, who married
John F. Withehill, and died, aged thirty years, and Crissa (Mrs. John F.
Whitehill) George W. married Phebe Whitehill, and has had born to him four
children, namely, Henry N., Ernest, Harvey, and George I. who is
dead. George W. resides on road 25.
Jacob Hooper was born in this town in 1831, married Isabella Welch
in 1859, and had born to him four children, as follows: Stephen W., Richard
S., Margaret (Mrs. Alvin Welch), and Amasa L. Mr. Hooper died October 1,
Jacob Hatch came to this town, from Maine, and settled on road l3,
married a Miss Maxwell, and reared nine children, viz.: Moses, who married
Jane Gates, and remained on the homestead; Jacob, who married Sarah Morrison;
Rev. John, who married twice, first, Mary Clark, and second, Sabra Welch;
Phebe, who married Hiram Meader; Mehitable, who married James Whitehill;
Lucretia, who married James Dustin; Maxwell, Susan, and Martha. Clark,
son of John, married Lavina Emery, and resides on road 25. He reared nine
children, seven of whom are living, of whom George B. is a physician, married
Mary E. Brown in 1882, and began practice the same year in Newbury, Vt.
He has one child, George W. He has a lumber-mill in the town
of Peacham, near Lanesboro postoffice. Oscar C. Hatch married Hannah Welch,
and has three children, Delia, Clara and Frederick. John F., son of Clark,
is a farmer residing in town.
Reuben Whitcher came to this town at an early day, married Patience
Gray, and had born to him thirteen children, eight of whom are living,
namely, George W., of Albany, N.Y., Marvin, in Wisconsin, Nelson, of this
town, and Eliza (Mrs. James Renfrew), of Ryegate, twins, Andrew, of Hardwick,
Chester, of Burke, Emeline (Mrs. Joseph Noyes), of St. Johnsbury, and John,
of Walden. Nelson married Harriet Eastman, and has three daughters, as
follows: Emily (Mrs. Albert P. Whitehill), of this town, Abbie (Mrs. David
Lumsden), of Newbury, Vt; and Eliza A. (Mrs. Dennison Eastman), also of
Newbury. The house in which Mr. Whitcher lives is very near one hundred
years old, and there has been no death in the house since it was built.
Moses Page came here, from Maine, about 1808, married Hannah Seavy
and reared thirteen children, nine of whom are living. His son George G.
enlisted in the late war, in 3d Vt. Vols; when only fifteen years of age,
was run over by a lot of cavalry during a battle, and in consequence thereof
is an invalid, suffering with curvature of the spine. He married Jane S.
Cunningham. Moses, Jr., was also a soldier in the 3d Vt. Vols. He
married Lydia. W. Gardner.
John Page came here about 1811, and first located where his son
Benjamin now lives, off road 39. He married Meriba Wormwood and reared
eleven children, Mrs. Page giving birth to four boys at one time. Three
of their children are now living, James, in Kansas, William, in Washington,
Vt., and Benjamin, of this town. The latter married Betsey Frost, and has
had born to him eight children, George W., now deceased, Carlos, of Barnet,
Cyrus B., of Ryegate, Isaiah F., in Monroe, N. H., Lizzie (Mrs. James R.
Dunn), of West Concord, Albert, Frank M. and Lucy J. Albert married Mary
A. Page, and has four children, namely, Newton H., Lois J., Herbert C.
and, Charles M. Frank M., son of Benjamin, was born in Topsham, Vt.,
in 1845, attended the academy at Barre, Vt., for three years, and graduated
there. He studied law with J. O. Livingston, of Montpelier, and in 1873
was admitted to the bar. He came here at once and has been here since.
In 1876 he was elected to the legislature, and the same year he married
Laura E. Wrinkle, and has had three children, Leslie W., Harlan R., and
Roy M. Harlan and Roy died in infancy. In May, 1884, his wife died.
She was a member of the Baptist church, and was a daughter of Rev. Thomas
Wrinkle, who was pastor or the Baptist church in this town several years.
In 1885, Mr. Page married Roslia Wrinkle, a sister of his former wife.
John W. Page was born in this town, where J. Baldwin now lives,
on road 19, February 16, 1831, married Rachel Goodwin, and has had born
to him three children, viz.: Arvilla, who died at the age of thirteen years,
Aleck and Frank W., both of this town.
Moses Plummer was born in Sanford, Me., in 1788, came here in 1810,
married Betsey Paul, of Maine, and reared six children. Moses, Jr., married
twice, first, Jane McLaughlin, in 1842, who born him one child, Eliza,
who married James Dunn, and is now deceased. The wife of Moses, Jr., died
in 1853 and he married for his second wife Sarah (Frost) York.
Ebenezer Plummer, son of Samuel and Nancy (Morrison) Plummer, was
born in 1819, married Anna Whitehill, of Ryegate, and had born to him eleven
children, eight of whom are living, viz.: Maria, Nancy, Christie, Samuel,
Phebe (Mrs. John Young), of Peacham, Mary A. (Mrs. Carlos Page), of Barnet,
Martha (Mrs. Charles Jones), of Nebraska, and Ida M. Mr. Plummer's
wife died in February, 1885, and he married for his second wife Mary (Page)
Whitehill. He has served as selectman and lister, and has been grand juror
twelve years. His son Samuel was born July 8, 1854, married Jennie Frost,
and has three children, Jesse A., Sadie and Ebenezer 2d. He lives on the
homestead on road 8.
Bradley Plummer was born in Groton in 1826, married Nancy Brown,
and had born to him five children, four of whom are living, namely, Mamie
(Mrs. J. Ingraham), of Ryegate, Willis, of Ryegate, Helen (Mrs. Benjamin
Ricker), of this town, and Robert S. The latter married Lovisa
McLane, and has had born to him three children, Roscoe, Lois and Henry.
Otis Glover, son of Samuel, was born in West Fairlee, Vt., in 1811,
and came to this town with his parents in 1818, where they lived five years,
and then moved to Topsham, Vt. Otis learned the joiner's trade. He
married Esther Everett, in 1835, and had born to him eight children. His
son Henry C. married Nancy Jackson, in 1872, and has one child Waldo F.
He has been sheriff since 1881, is constable and justice of the peace,
was town Representative in 1884, and has been selectman.
Levi Wilson came here when a boy, with his parents, from Maine,
married Annie Emery, and had born to him four children, three of whom are
living, namely, William, who lives in Peacham, Patience (Mrs. George Blaisdell),
of Corinth, Vt., and Isaac. Mr. Wilson became a member of the Congregational
church of Peacham when a young man, and died in 1863, aged fifty-two years.
His son Isaac married Caroline Heath, and had born to him six children,
viz.: George M., Levi, Althea, Robert B., Hazen and Carrie J.
William Orr, son of John, a Revolutionary soldier, lived in Ryegate,
married Rachel Rogers, and reared eight children, two of whom are living,
John and James. Chester, son of John and Achsa (Thompson) Orr, was born
in Ryegate, in 1835, and married Cynthia Martin in 1862. He served in the
late war in Co. D, 1st Vt. Cav., was taken prisoner at the battle of Stony
Creek, June 30, 1864, and was carried to Andersonville, where he was kept
ten months. He came here in 1877. He has five children, namely, Pliny,
Mattie, Amelia, Ada and Mabel.
Thomas B. Hall was born in this town in 1834, attended the Newbury
seminary two terms, and worked as a clerk for John Buchanan from 1855 to
1858. He then engaged in buying wool, sheep and cattle, and then in the
lumber business. In 1876 he began the charcoal business with his
father, I. N. Hall; in 1878 began business in the lumber-mill where he
now is, and in 1882 bought the store now run by Hall & Cochran. Mr.
Hall served in the legislature from 1874 to 1876, has been selectman twelve
years, overseer of the poor eight years, lister several times, justice
of the peace ten years, and notary public twenty years. Mr. Hall married
Elizabeth M. Donalson in 1862, and has had born to him four children, viz.:
William H., who died in infancy, George N., who died, aged nine years,
Isaac N., 2d, and Elizabeth M.
Martin Weld, son of Daniel and Lydia (Fuller) Weld, was born in
Cornish, N. H., in 1817, came to this town in 1836, and learned the trade
of axe making of a brother who was engaged here in the business. He bought
his brother out, and carried on the business himself until about 1870.
He married Imogene L. George, of Topsham, Vt., and has had born to him
five children, namely, Charles B. and Lydia A., both of whom died in infancy,
Ella M., Benjamin M. and Fuller N., who is in Boston, Mass.
Benjamin is a graduate of Montpelier seminary, also of Middlebury college,
Vt., and is now principal of the academy at Orford, N. H. Martin has
served the town as lister, selectman and grand juror.
Eliphalet Carpenter came here from West Fairlee, Vt., in 1839, and
after living just over the line in Topsham for three years, he moved to
Groton pond. He served about six weeks in the War of 1812. He married twice,
first, Betsey Morey who bore him five children. He married for his second
wife Hannah Glover, and had born to him twelve children, of whom Andrew
J. married Sarah Morrison for his first wife, lived in Ryegate two years,
and now resides here. He has been engaged for several years in the lumber
business, with Hon. J. R. Darling, and was a soldier in the late war, serving
in Co. D, 15th Vt. Vols. He had five children by his first wife, viz.:
Curtis, Rosette, Lizzie, John F. and Harvey J. He married for his second
wife Emily Welch, and has had born to him nine children, viz.: Minnie E.,
George W., Joseph, Katie, Peter, Sewel C., Flora B., Warren E. and Ambrose
James Dunn, born in Ryegate in 1800, married Nancy Holmes, March
24, 1835, and came to Groton the same day. He was a member of the
Presbyterian church of Barnet, and died in 1874. His wife died in 1860.
Of his three children; James, Jr., lives in West Concord, John K., who
married Victoria Whitehill, lives in this town, and Nancy A. (Mrs. Oscar
Gibson) lives in Peacham.
Isaac M. Ricker was born in Groton, April 10, 1839, and lived at
home with his parents during his minority. At home during his school days
he read in the papers the glowing accounts of the rich mines discovered
in the Pike's Peak country, and when of age he struck out to try and make
his fortune in that direction. Arriving in Sioux City, he found more people
returning from than going to those mines. This fact served to cool his
ardor and he concluded he had gone far enough in that direction. After
visiting two of his brothers, who lived in Nebraska, he returned to Money
Creek Valley, Minn. and worked for his brother-in-law, William Vance, during
the summer, and returned home to Vermont the same fall. It was his fortune
while making the above journey to pass through several scenes of excitement
and danger, of two of which we will make brief mention. While traveling
in a four-horse coach from St. Joseph to Sioux City they were overtaken
by a blizzard, and the cold was so intense that all were nearly frozen.
The driver became so benumbed and bewildered that his horses changed their
course towards the marshes of the Missouri bottom. Ricker saw this, and
that it was death to the whole party if they continued in that direction.
He tried to convince the freezing driver that he was wrong; and, failing
in this, he seized the reins, brought the horses back in their proper course,
and in about half an hour, though nearly perished with cold, reached the
desired station alive. While in Nebraska, Isaac and one of his brothers
started on horse-back to go and visit another brother who lived about thirty-five
miles distant. When near their journey's end they came to a stream which
was greatly swollen, in consequence of the melting snow, so that they had
to leave their horses and cross the stream in an Indian canoe, and travel
the few remaining miles on foot. His brother was living in an unfinished
frame house, and during the night such a terrific wind arose that the family
became frightened and went to a neighbors, who lived in a substantial log
house. In the morning the brother's house was still standing, and of course
they had their fright that time for nothing. The next day they started
to return, taking the other brother with them. Upon reaching the river
they found it had overflowed its banks and spread out far and wide. In
trying to recross the stream the wind and waves proved too much for their
frail bark, which capsized, and they were all plunged headlong into the
icy cold stream. Isaac caught an old stump, and, climbing upon it saw his
brothers carried down the stream. Being good swimmers they struck out and
soon reached the natural bank of the stream, where they found the water
was only waist deep. They then shouted to Isaac that he must swim for his
life, which he did, and finally succeeded in reaching the bank, but some
distance below his brothers. They got together as soon as possible, and,
taking hold of hands, waded about three-fourths of a mile through water
of various depths, to the land. One of the brothers was so terribly chilled
he would have perished had not the others kept constantly shaking and buffeting
him to keep him aroused, while they almost carried him along. After leaving
the water and traveling about a mile, with their clothing frozen stiff,
they reached a hotel kept by an old Vermonter, and were saved. A good rousing
fire and a little whiskey, judiciously used, in such a time, will do wonders
for a man. After his return to Vermont, Mr. Ricker devoted his time to
agriculture till the breaking out of the civil war, when he enlisted in
the 12th Vermont Volunteers and served to the end of his timer. Just before
his discharge he was taken very sick with diphtheria, and he think he almost
owes his life to the kind treatment he received at the hands of ladies
of the Sanitary Commission at New York, and of his brother Frank on his
way home, December 3, 1863, he married Mary Jane, the seventeenth child
of John and Phebe Taisey. Mrs. Ricker is a lady of rare natural ability,
devoted to her husband's interests, and well calculated to help him on
the road to success, His first business partnership, which continued only
one year, was with his brother William, who was a live stock and produce
broker. It was a year of prosperity, and the profits gave Isaac quite a
start in the business in which he soon engaged and has since followed.
In 1866 he entered into partnership with Hon. J. R. Darling, in the lumber
business, buying timber lands, and manufacturing and selling the lumber,
doing business under the firm name of Darling & Ricker for a term of
eighteen years. Mr. Darling then retired from the firm, and Mr. Ricker
succeeded to the business, he purchasing all of Mr. Darling's interest
in lands, mills, lumber, teams, etc., and continues the business at the
present time. He is also a leading partner in the firm of I. M. &
C. Ricker, also extensive dealers in lands and lumber. An important key
to his continued success is that he is a first-class salesman and collector.
His popularity is such that several other large manufacturers of lumber
employ him to market their lumber for them. All of these facts combine
to make him one of the most active, energetic and reliable men in the county.
Amaziah H. Ricker, son of Joseph and Maribah (Morrison) Ricker,
was born January 9, 1831, attended the common schools and the academies
at Peacham and Bath. He worked in Boston, Mass., a few years, and in 1857
bought the mill where he now is. In 1864 he formed a partnership with William
and Artemas W. Dawes, under the firm name of Ricker, Dawes & Co., which
continued a year, since which time he has been engaged in the business
alone. He married twice, first, Mary D. Wood, in 1860, who died the next
year, and second, Marcia Dascomb, of Greenfield, N. H., in 1862. He
has had four children, namely: Edmund D., born January 24, 1864, and married
Phebe J. Harvey, April 6, 1886; Harry M., born December 23, 1866, Mary
Emma, born September 25, 1869; and Lela M., born June 10, 1873, and died
June 5, 1874. Mr. Ricker has been superintendent of the Sabbath school,
and has served the town as moderator three times. Joseph, Jr., is not married.
Joseph, Sr., father of Amaziah, was a member of the Baptist church, and
died February 28, 1870, aged sixty-seven years.
Benjamin M. Ricker, son of Orson and Lydia (Taisey) Ricker, was
born in 1845, and began business for himself when only sixteen years of
age, by buying a car load of lambs and taking them to Boston, Mass., on
which venture he cleared $250.00. Later he has been engaged in the lumber
and bark business. He has held nearly all the town offices. He married
Helen M., daughter of Bradley and Nancy Plummer, and has had born to him
six children, viz.: Maggie, Ira Orson, Jennie, Vangie, Berty, Roscoe and
Charles A. Ricker, son of Orson, was born in this town in 1854,
attended the common schools and the academy at Peacham, and is engaged
in the lumber business. He married Charlotte Vance, of Topsham, and has
three children, namely: Jenness E., Myrtie M. and Inez D.
Alman L. Clark, who moved to Montpelier in 1884, where he now resides,
was for many years the owner of the grist-mill now owned by Heman Gilman.
He married first, Jane Hatch, who bore him two children, Horace C. and
Wallace. The former married Jane Noyes, and has four children, namely,
Almon, Ross I., Stephen L. and George N. Wallace lives in Illinois. Almon
L. Clark married for his second wife Betsey Gilbert, and has had born to
him four children.
Heman L. Gilman, son of Solomon L. and Diantha (Powers) Gilman,
was born in Marshfield, Vt., in 1847, engaged in the lumber business for
a few years, was employed by the railroad eight years, and run the first
train over the road from Bethlehem Junction to Bethlehem Street, N. H.,
in 1881. He married Abbie L. Richardson, October 27, 1880.
Charles H. Frizzell, son of Rodolphus and Harriet (Weber) Frizzell,
came here from Topsham, Vt., married Luella Lampher, for his first wife,
in 1876, who bore him three children, Jennie, Ellsworth and Ida. His wife
died May 2, 1885, and he married for his second wife Cora L. Whiting. He
served in the late war, in Co. I, 5th N. H. Vols., and served in several
Seth N. Eastman, M. D., son of Bernard and Hannah (Weed) Eastman,
was born in 1844, is a graduate of the Pennsylvania Medical college, and
also of the Dartmouth Medical college, at Hanover, N. H. He married
Evalonia, daughter of Hon. J. R. Darling, and has two children, Cyrus D.
and Bernard S. Mr. Eastman was a soldier in the late war, enlisting in
Co. B, 6th Vt. Vols., when only seventeen years of age, was wounded at
the battle of Savage Station, and was in Libby prison, Andersonville and
Nathan C. Powers was born in Thetford, Vt., in 1828, remained there
till 1870, when he moved to Boston, Mass., then to Danvers; then to Northampton,
Mass., then to Derry, N. H., and came here in 1880. He married Mary A. Mison,
of Manchester, N. H., in 1863.
Rev. George W. Clough, son of Marise and Martha A. (Foss) Clough,
was born at Haverhill, Mass., January 12, 1849, and is a graduate of Colgate
academy, at Hamilton, N.Y. He was ordained at Newton Junction, N. H.
in 1879, and in 1882 went to Rumney, N. H., as pastor of Baker's River Baptist
church. He came to this town in August 1884. He married Mary E. Kimpton,
of Malone, N.Y., June 4, 1879, and has four children, namely; Ida E., Ervin
W. and Eva A., twins, and Arthur W.
Daniel Coffrin was born in this town, and served as town representative
in 1848-50-55-56. His son Albert W., was in the grocery business at Montpelier,
for a short time, and came here in 1876, where he has since been in business
as a merchant. He married Martha Frost, in 1880, and has two children,
Lilla and Morris D.
Frank P. Smith was born in Groton, N. H., is a shoemaker by trade,
and came to this town in 1865. He married Elmira Minard, and has two children,
Elner and Birdie E.
George P. Rand was born in Dorchester, N. H., came to this town and
began working for Mr. Ricker in 1878. He married Martha Fisk, of this town.
Jonathan Y. Randall was born in Newbury, Vt., in 1820, married Elizabeth
Orr, and has had born to him three children, only one of whom is living,
Sidney G. The latter married Clara Lambert and lives at home.
Henry Hutton, son of George and Hannah Hutton, was born in Yorkshire,
England, in 1837, and came to this country in 1849. He married for his
first wife Lavina Mack, of Bradford, Vt., and has had born to him seven
children, viz: Elizabeth, John H., and Annie, who are dead, Patience L.
(Mrs. Thomas Eastman), of Topsham, Vt., Mary (Mrs. John Page), of Newbury,
Vt., Robert and Blanche L. Mrs. Hutton died January 1, 1878. Mr.
Hutton married for his second wife Mrs. Elsie (Welch) Davis, and has one
child, Jeremiah P.
The Baptist church, at Groton village, was organized in 1813. The
first house of worship, a wood structure, was built in 1824, and the present
edifice in 1866. The latter is a wood structure capable of seating 250
persons, and is valued at $3,000.00. The society now has ninety-one members,
with Rev. G. W. Clough, pastor. Within the last twenty-five years the society
has buried three pastors, Rev. N. W. Smith, T. Wrinkle and W. A. Worthington,
each of whom was eminently useful and his labor greatly blessed. The second
of these, Thomas Wrinkle, had a somewhat romantic history. He was born
in Rockbrook, Dublin county, Ireland, February 21, 1821. He obtained an
excellent education there, and came to this country when seventeen years
old. He soon conceived the idea that the Romish church in which he was
educated was false in doctrine, and he left it. He was then skeptical of
all religion for a time, but at the age of thirty-six years he became converted
and joined the Baptist church at Colebrook, Conn. He soon began to preach
at Pleasant Valley, Conn., and not long after he was called to Whitingham,
Vt. When the war broke out he enlisted as a private soldier, was made chaplain
of the 8th Vt. Vols., which he was with till the war closed. He then preached
in Bernardston, Mass., and was called from there to this town. His labors
were greatly blessed by his Master everywhere. He married Betsey Hall,
January 8, 1844, at New Marlborough, Mass. They had three children, Sarah
J., Laura E. and Rosalia. Mr. Wrinkle died October 26, 1870. Rev. Watson
A. Worthington came from Bernardston, Mass. to this town a few years after
Mr. Wrinkle died. He preached but a short time before he also was called
from his labor by the Great Master. He was greatly beloved by his church,
and was very sound in doctrine. His widow still lives in the town.
The Methodist Episcopal church of Groton was organized by Rev. Paul
Richards, with ten members, in 1828. Rev. Newell Culver was the first pastor.
The church building was erected in 1836, at a cost of $1,250.00. In 1866
it was thoroughly repaired, so that it is now capable of seating 300 persons,
and is valued, including grounds; at $3,500.00. The society has 148 members,
with Rev. C. H. Farnsworth, pastor.
of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 189-201)
was provided by Tom Dunn.
and Business Directory of the Town of Groton, Caledonia County, VT., 1887-88
to Groton, VT ~ VTGenWeb Project
Living ~ Groton
Vermont ~ Groton, Vermont
Township, Caledonia County
of Groton Men in the Civil War