is a small, irregularly outlined township located in the eastern part of
county, in lat. 44º 29' and long. 5º 4', bounded on the northeast
by Burke and the county line, south and southeast by the county line, southwest
by St. Johnsbury and west by Lyndon. It was granted by Vermont, October
20, 1786, and chartered October 27, 1790, to Roswell Hopkins, by the name
of Hopkinsville, containing 11,284 acres. Subsequently, however, 2,527
acres, known as Burke Tongue, were added from Burke, and the name altered,
in 1808, to Kirby.
The soil of Kirby, being generally free from stone and consisting
of a rich gravelly loam, is well adapted to the raising of all kinds of
grain and grass, and in most parts to the growing of Indian corn successfully.
With the exception of a range of mountains in the eastern part, the town
is susceptible of cultivation; and even those mountain lots, after being
cleared of their heavy growth of timber, afford the best of pasturage.
Indeed, there is very little waste land in the town. The low lands that
in the early settlement were considered too wet and swampy for cultivation,
are now the most productive and valuable. The township is well watered
with springs and brooks that rise among the hills, and wind their way through
the valleys to the Passumpsic and Moose rivers, the latter of which passes
through a corner of the town. Along its borders are a few excellent farms,
but no sites for mills. Near the center of the town there is quite a mountain-ridge,
which somewhat divides the business. Here is also a small pond, from which
issues Pond brook. In the eastern part of the township is an excellent
quarry of granite.
In 1880, Kirby had a population of 398 souls. In 1886 it had six
school districts and five common schools, employing eleven female teachers,
to whom was paid an average weekly salary, including board, of $4.39. There
were eighty-six scholars, five of whom were attending private schools.
The entire income for school purposes for the year was $754.75, while the
total expenditures were $738.98, with Miss N. A. Russell, superintendent.
The exact date of the first settlement made here is not known. Theophilus
Grant and Phineas Page removed thither about 1792, locating near the town
line, adjacent to St. Johnsbury. In 1800, Jonathan Leach came into the
northern part of the town, then called Burke Tongue, and cut his first
tree. He was soon joined by Josiah Joslin, Jude White, Jonathan Lewis,
Ebenezer Damon, Asahel Burt, Antipas Harrington, and others, mostly from
Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Mr. Leach made his first "pitch " in the
town of Burke, purchasing a lot of land near the center of that town. While
absent, however, engaged in removing his family from Massachusetts to their
new home, the proprietors obtained a new draught of the town, bringing
his number some five miles to the southward of the spot where he had commenced
clearing, in an unbroken wilderness. Procuring, on his return, the assistance
of a neighbor as a guide, he started out in quest of his number, which,
after some difficulty, he succeeded in finding. In this new location he
commenced his labors, in the month of April, 1800. He erected, at
once, a log house, though, as the reader may readily imagine, “under difficulties,”
inasmuch as he was destitute both of shingles and boards, not to mention
numerous other articles usually deemed indispensable in convenient and
successful house-building. Into this rude structure, and while its gable-ends
were still open, he moved his family, consisting of a wife and two small
children. Addressing himself now to clearing away the forest about him
and preparing the soil for cultivation, he succeeded the first year in
raising a sufficient amount of grain to meet the wants of his family. By
another year, without the aid of a team, he had subdued enough of the forest
to gather in 150 bushels of wheat. By the third year, he had put up a framed
barn, the building in which was taught the first school and held the first
religious meeting in town. The first saw-mill in town, however, was built
by Mr. Leach.
The town was organized on the 8th of August, 1807, and on the 29th
of the same month the first town-meeting was called to elect town officers.
Selah Howe was chosen moderator; Jonathan Lewis, town clerk, which office
he held seventeen years; Benjamin Easterbrooks, Joel Whipple and Arunah
Burt, selectmen; Philomen Brown, constable; and Josiah Joslin, town representative.
Theophilus Grout, a lineal descendant in the fifth generation from
Capt. John Grout, who was of Watertown, Mass., in 1640, and Phineas Page,
were the first settlers of the town of Kirby. They took adjoining tracts
of land on the Moose river, a considerable portion of Grout's land lying
low in a bend of the river, and in that early day considered of but
little value. But Grout was born and reared on the banks of the Connecticut
river, in Charleston, N.H., and naturally held a more favorable view of
bottom lands than the average settler. He took a conveyance of this land
in 1792, and it has been in the family ever since; he having conveyed it
to his son Josiah Grout, in 1848, who, in 1865, conveyed it to his son
George W. Grout, and George O. Ford, his son-in-law, from whom the title
came in 1874, to its present owner, William W. Grout, the eldest son of
Josiah, who, since his ownership, has made extensive and valuable improvements
upon it—building two large new barns and remodeling and rearranging two
old ones built by his grandfather; also reconstructing and adding to the
house, which was built about fifty-five years ago, and was the fourth upon
the premises, including the first, which was of logs; and stood upon the
hill near the Concord line, where the first opening was made, in order
to be well away from the frosts of the low lands and thus secure a crop
of wheat, without which the settler in that wilderness country would have
been without bread. The low land along the river has been brought under
cultivation within the last fifty years; and within the last ten has been
thoroughly drained by its present owner, and is, of course, the best upon
the farm. The upland rises in an undulating slope to the north and east,
but until recently much of it was kept wet and cold by springs of water
flowing out in many places. This, too, has been drained and smoothed and
fitted for the profitable use of farm machinery, and the whole cultivated
portion of the farm, about 150 acres, is now in excellent condition, and
very productive. About seventy-five acres are in timber, and 225 in pasturage,
making 450 acres in all, 110 having been added to it by the present owner.
The farm is heavily stocked with Jersey and high grade Jersey cows, a flock
of good sheep, and a fine family of horses, carefully bred from Morgan,
Clay, Hambletonian and Mambrino strains. General Grout spends most of his
time on the farm when free from professional and public duties; but since
he came into possession of it, in 1874, it has been under the immediate
management of his brother-in-law, Captain George O. Ford, who married Sophronia,
his eldest living sister, and their attachment for the old farm is hardly
less than that fits owner. It is, in short, regarded with pride and affection
by all members of the family. Now here is a farm that for almost a century
has made a comfortable home for three generations of a family whose success,
such as it is, has been won wholly in Vermont, and who still cling to the
old homestead. Surely here is a lesson for the young men of Vermont, not
only in farming but as showing, also, that here in Vermont, as elsewhere,
a reasonable degree of success always attends those who patiently and industriously
turn to account the opportunities at hand.
Theophilus Grout, the first owner of this property, was twenty-four
years of age when he commenced clearing it up, and the whole period of
his active life was spent upon it. Indeed, the removal of the forest and
bringing this tract of land under cultivation constituted his principal
life work. He was, to some extent, honored by civil office, was, upon the
organization of the town, its first representative, and was several times
subsequently returned to the legislature; was for many years justice of
the peace, and at one time collector of U. S. revenue; but of far greater
service was he to mankind in establishing here in the wilderness a home,
and in rearing children who, in their turn, have performed their part,
and nearly all passed off the stage.
He was a man of large influence in neighborhood and town matters.
He was frank and straightforward in all his transactions. His love of justice
and fair play, and his knowledge of affairs made his advice and assistance
valuable to those in trouble, and he was frequently consulted by such as
were involved in legal controversies. He was a man of fine presence, of
strong, erect frame and iron constitution. In politics he was a Democrat.
In religion he inherited from his puritan ancestors a devotional turn of
mind, and at one time was connected with a Baptist church in Waterford;
but later in life his views took a somewhat liberal turn. He was, till
his death, a regular attendant at church on Sunday, and took a deep interest
in every phase of theological discussion. He lived uprightly in the fear
of God, and in love with his neighbor. In early life he married Joanna
Willard, of Hartland, Vt., who by him was the mother of eleven children,
and who died at the age of eighty-one years. Theophilus Grout died April
5, 1852, at the age of eighty-four years, in the full possession of his
mental faculties. The text, which, sometime before his death, he had asked
the minister to speak from at his funeral, was the prayer of the publican:
“God be merciful to me a sinner.”
Josiah Grout, sixth child of Theophilus, was born October 20, 1805.
He married September 29, 1830, Sophronia, daughter of Carleton Ayer, of
St. Johnsbury, who was a woman of superior mental and moral qualities;
and after living for a time at Canaan Vt., he removed to Compton, P.Q.,
whither his father-in-law had gone to reside. There he remained till 1848,
when his older brother, Theophilus, who had been at home with the old folks,
having died, he returned to the old homestead, took title to it, and spent
the balance of his life upon it. While in Canada he did not renounce his
allegiance to the United States, and took no part in Canadian affairs —
though he came near getting himself into trouble with the Canadian authorities
by too freely expressing his sympathy with the Papineau rebellion of 1838.
Reared a Democrat, he remained such till 1854, when the Democratic
party repealed the Missouri Compromise of 1820, which opened Kansas and
Nebraska to the introduction of slavery. This was too much for his party
fealty, and with his pronounced anti-slavery convictions, he naturally
drifted into the Republican ranks, where he was permanently settled by
the War of the Rebellion. He cast his first Republican vote for Abraham
Lincoln, in 1864. He was not, however, very active in politics, but found
greater satisfaction in the cultivation of his farm and the care of his
family. He died at the age of sixty-nine years. There were born to Josiah
and Sophronia (Ayer) Grout ten children: —
M., December 17, 1831, married Martin Perkins, and died at Stevens Point,
Wisconsin, August 26,1856.
W., May 24, 1836. See sketch.
W., June 26, 1838, farmer, resides in Derby, Vt.
May 28, 1841, lawyer and farmer, resides in Derby, Vt.; was major of cavalry
in the late war, has been several times member of Vermont legislature,
and was speaker of House of Representatives in 1886.
September 17, 1842, married George O. Ford, who was captain 8th Vt. Vols.
in the late war, and resides on the old homestead in Kirby.
March 15, 1845, married Charles H. Dwinnell, and resides in Barton, Vt.
September 27, 1846, resides with William W., in Barton, Vt.
September 3, 1848, lawyer, state's attorney, and member of legislature,
resides in Newport, Vt.
September 21, 1850, married F. W. Baldwin, of Barton, Vt., died in September,
July 3, 1852, resides on the old homestead in Kirby.
The following biographical sketch of William W. Grout, by the pen
of Hon. George H. Blake, of Orleans county Monitor, is taken from “The
Bar of Orleans County,” a book published by F. W. Baldwin, Barton, Vt.:—
William Wallace Grout was born of American parents in Compton, Province
of Quebec, May 24, 1836. His ancestry is traced back in New England to
as early a period as 1640, and the record shows that in each generation
the Grouts were distinguished for push, strong common sense and integrity.
They held various offices, and occupied prominent places in their different
spheres of life. From Massachusetts they found their way into New Hampshire,
as the new country opened up, and Theophilus, grandfather of William W.,
came to Vermont in 1792, and settled in Kirby. Josiah, father of William
W., was born in Kirby and resided there most of his life, though he spent
a few years in Canada. William Wallace was the second child in a family
of ten; his mother was Sophronia Ayer, an intelligent, estimable lady of
Scotch-Irish descent, whose marked characteristics were transmitted to
William W. Grout, like other Vermont boys, had a fair opportunity
to attend the common schools, but was ambitious to obtain an education,
and hoped to enter one of the professions. He spent his leisure hours in
reading and study, and later procured a good academic education. Having
decided upon the profession of the law, he entered the law school at Poughkeepsie,
N.Y., where he graduated in 1857. Returning from school, he entered the
law office of Hon. Thomas Bartlett, of Lyndon, to spend a few months there,
and was admitted to the bar in Caledonia county in December of the same
year. The next summer he went to Barton and established a law office of
his own. The town at that time was the terminus of the railroad and the
business center of the county. Several lawyers resided there, and the bar
of the county was honored by many members then, and afterwards, distinguished.
The young lawyer was pitted against older lawyers than himself in his own
town, and against John P. Sartle, an antagonist who was very jealous of
his own standing, and imperious in his bearing and conduct. Local litigation
soon gave young Grout opportunity to show what material he was made of,
and many well remember the fierce battles that were fought in justice courts
when Grout and Sartle were engaged as counsel. Here Mr. Grout began to
display that good common sense, unfaltering courage, and indomitable perseverance
which have ever been the elements of his success. His practice in the local
courts increased, and he soon took respectable standing at the bar, both
in Orleans and Caledonia counties.
In 1862 he was nominated for state's attorney by the Republicans
of his county, but he declined the nomination, having decided to enter
the army. He recruited a company in Barton, and at its organization was
chosen captain. When the line officers met to choose field officers, Capt.
Grout was chosen lieutenant-colonel of the 1st Vermont regiment. The regiment
was immediately sent to Virginia, and did much marching and picket duty
through the winter, camped and tramped all through the guerilla country,
and participated in the Gettysburgh campaign; yet it was singularly fortunate
in escaping the perils of battles. Col. Grout made an active and efficient
officer, and was foremost in seeking the place of danger; he won the confidence
of the officers and the esteem of the rank and file of his regiment. The
delicate health of his wife forbade that he remain longer from home, and
he was mustered out with the regiment in August, 1863, and returned home
to resume the practice of the law. The next fall the legislature created
a state militia, and Col. Grout was chosen brigadier-general. During the
same year he was elected state's attorney, and held the office two years.
The somewhat celebrated Baxter-Hoyt campaign for member of congress occurred
at this time, and Gen. Grout, having espoused the cause of Mr. Hoyt, made
some enemies, who fought him in politics long afterwards. He was elected
to the House of Representatives in 1868, and his town paid him the high
compliment of sending him to the legislature three successive years. His
career in the legislature was marked by a faithful attention to business,
a careful regard for the interests of the common people, and a war against
the Shylocks who were trying to raise the rate of legal interest above
six per cent. He was chosen a delegate to the national convention which
first nominated Gen. Grant for the presidency. In 1874, Gen. Grout
was again sent to the lower house of the legislature, and in 1876 he was
chosen to the Senate, where he was made president pro tem. of that body.
Two years later, after a very sharp political canvass, he was nominated
for representative to Congress over Bradley Barlow. The nomination was
bolted by Mr. Barlow. A fusion was made with Greenbackers and Democrats;
money was freely used in the campaign, and Gen. Grout was defeated. The
injustice of the act was felt all through the state, and the refluent wave
of favor was such that, in 1880, both friends and former political enemies
made haste to right the wrong, and he not only received an almost unanimous
nomination, but a triumphant election to the Forty-seventh Congress. As
a first-term member he began his work under disadvantages, but the Congressional
Record shows that he was neither an idle nor a silent member. Among the
most important measures which he advocated in this congress may be mentioned
the creation of a cabinet officer for the head of the agricultural department,
the Geneva award, the American shipping bill, the North Dakota Territory
bill, and a bill on French spoliations. During the full term of his congressional
service he was very faithful to duty, doing a great amount of work, both
for the country and his constituents. Just at the close of his work at
this time in congress, he was prostrated by a very severe illness which
threatened life for some days, and made him unfit for labor several months
afterward. The new apportionment had diminished the number of representatives
in Vermont to two, and the state had been divided by legislative act into
two districts, by a line running along the Green Mountains. This brought
Gen. Grout into the second district, and it became to be felt that the
interests of the district and the state demanded that he be returned to
Washington from this district. At the time the caucuses were held before
the district convention, Gen. Grout was busy in Washington, and a few days
later prostrate with sickness, so that his canvass was not looked after,
and the friends of Judge Poland, taking advantage of the situation, carried
a majority of the primary meetings and the convention. Many were dissatisfied
with the result, and there was a strong disposition to bolt the nomination.
Gen. Grout discountenanced the move and counseled his friends to support
the nominee. At the September election a large number of votes were cast
for Gen. Grout, but Judge Poland won, and his work in congress was very
creditable to the state and to himself. Previous to the time of the district
convention in 1884, Judge Poland took himself out of the canvass, and the
names of Gen. Grout, Col. G. W. Hooker and Hon. William P. Dillingham were
most prominently mentioned for member of congress. Gen. Grout was successful
in the convention, and was elected by a majority said to have been the
largest given to any congressman chosen from the state in many years.
*At this time Gen. Grout is serving his second
term in congress; he has been in his place every day of the session, and
has won no little credit for himself and the state by his faithful attention
to duty. Among the most notable speeches he has made are those on the Fitz
John Porter and the Oleo-margarine bills. Should the people again decide
to return him to congress, we see no reason why his usefulness and influence
may not increase as his opportunities are extended.
[* Mr. Grout is now on his third term. He was unanimously renominated
in 1886, soon after the above article was written, and was elected by an
increased majority, running several hundred ahead of the vote for Governor
in his district.]
Gen. Grout's course in congress has been in keeping with his character;
he has been very faithful to the interests of his constituents and his
friends; he has been ambitious to do well whatever he has undertaken to
do, and has succeeded. In this exalted and difficult sphere, Gen. Grout
has been able, as in all places where he has been placed, to exceed the
expectation of his friends and to disappoint his rivals.
While Gen. Grout has been largely engaged in political affairs,
he has all the while kept up a good law practice, and has been engaged
in many important civil and criminal suits. Prominent among them
were the cases of Hayden and Turner, indicted for murder, and Moore for
forgery. Judge Powers, before whom the Harden case was tried, remarked
to the writer that Gen. Grout's effort before the jury was one of the most
able arguments he ever heard. Turner was acquitted and Moore was released
on his own bail after a disagreement of the jury. Gen. Grout, without
disparagement to other counsel, was the chief man on the defense in these
important cases. It is a somewhat singular circumstance that in a large
practice of several years Gen. Grout only lost a single case where he brought
the suit, prepared and tried the case. Whenever he has put himself into
a case, he has managed it with admirable skill and with great wisdom. As
an advocate he is pleasing, persuasive and able; he seeks to convince a
jury by plain and vigorous arguments, caring more to present his case clearly
by simple language, than to charm the ear with smooth and elegant phrases.
He is intuitively familiar with the principles of justice, and seeks to
attain what is right, regardless of the technicalities and the intricacies
of law. Had he concentrated his thoughts and his energies upon the law
alone, few lawyers would have been his superior.
For many years Gen. Grout has been actively engaged in agricultural
matters. He purchased the old Grout homestead in Caledonia county, hired
his brother-in-law, Capt. Ford, as manager, and commenced both practical
and scientific farming. He took the farm in a run down condition, but at
once entered upon the work of reclamation. He erected large barns—the largest
in the vicinity—he built silos, purchased thoroughbred stock, laid miles
of underdraining, and resorted to approved methods of labor without and
within. He has been successful, and has far more than attained that most
desirable thing which Justin S. Morrill once declared to be worthy the
highest aim of the Vermont farmer — “the raising of two blades of grass
in the place of one.” His farm demonstrates the fact that intelligent farming
can be successful and profitable in Vermont.
Gen. Grout married Loraine M. Smith, of Glover, in 1860. She was
a woman of most lovely and amiable disposition, and was highly esteemed
for her intelligence and womanly virtues. The union was a most happy one.
Two children were born as the fruits of the marriage, but they passed away
early, and the mother, stricken and bereft, survived them but a brief time
and died in 1868. The loss to the husband was irreparable, and he has felt
that no other could fill the place of his early love. He remains single,
and his home in Barton is in charge of his sister, Victoria Grout. As a
citizen Gen. Grout endears himself to his community by his charity, honesty
and public spirit. The poor always find in him a friend; he contributes
largely to all churches, and his gifts to schools and other institutions
have been large. His word is truth and his honor is unquestioned. He is
ever ready to assist in any enterprise that promises to be a public benefit.
In religious matters he is liberal, but his liberality does not tolerate
anything of infidelity, or sanction aught but the cardinal principles of
Bible religion. He is a man who grows in the esteem as acquaintance and
association become more intimate. Industrious, persistent, able,
honest, courageous and ambitious, Gen. Grout is made of that stuff and
of those elements which always succeed, and which bespeak for the future,
should his life be spared, a career that will be an honor to his name,
his profession and his state.
Dr. Abner Mills was the first and only physician who ever located
in the town. The first birth was that of Lovina Harrington, June 2, 1801.
The first marriage was that of Nathaniel Reed and Sukey Sweat, February
8, 1804. The first death was that of Henry White, September 3, 1803.
Ebenezer Damon, of Ashby, Mass., came to Kirby about 1800, and settled
on the farm where H. L. Wetherby now lives, on road 5. He married, first,
a Miss Morse, and second, Rhobe Sheldon, and his children were as follows:
George, Sally M., Lyman, Eben, Franklin, John, Ruth, Job, Esther and William.
The last mentioned married Clara E., daughter of Josiah and Clarissa (Spaulding)
Clark, and has had born to him six children, namely, Frances S., William
E., Clara E., Rhobe E., Benjamin F. and Charles U. He now resides on road
Timothy Locke, a native of Ashby, Mass., came to Kirby in 1803,
and settled on road 5, where he remained until his death, April 4, 1850,
aged seventy-one years. He married Rebecca, daughter of Joseph Dutton,
and was a justice of the peace. Of his six children; Joel was born June
14, 1815, married twice, first, Hannah C. Judd, of Landaff, N.H., who bore
him one child, Myron J., and second, Louise, daughter of Joel Harrington,
and had born to him two children, Henry and Albert S. Mr. Locke
died in 1859, aged forty-three years. Albert S, married Luvia Mathews,
of St. Johnsbury, and resides on the homestead with his mother.
Charles Church married Hannah Little, was a resident of Hancock,
Vt., and had born to him seven children, of whom James was a native of
Springfield, N.H., came to this town in 1814, and was the first settler
on a farm on road 23. He married Betsey Willis, of Enfield, N.H., and reared
six children. Mr. Willis died in 1875, aged eighty-three years. His son
Elhanan W. married Lydia L., daughter of Josiah and Delia (Hibbard) Gregory,
and has three children, namely, Celia A., Leis A., and Luvia A. who married
Chandler C., son of Lemuel and Philenia (Kibby) Walter, of Burke.
Mr. Church has served as town representative four terms and two special
terms, and served as recruiting officer during the late war.
Moses Graves, son of Jeremiah and Lucinda (Hubbard) Graves, was
born in Conway, Mass., September 17, 1781, came to Kirby in 1814, and was
the first permanent settler on the place known as the Graves farm, on road
6. He married Wealthy Carpenter, had born to him two children, Charles
H. and Wealthy A., and died October 10, 1854. Charles H. married Mary Goodell,
and reared two children. He served as town clerk sixteen years, justice
of the peace twenty years, and represented the town six years. His son
Preston H. married Almira S., daughter of Lewis and Sarah (Hall) Jenkins,
and granddaughter of Lemuel Jenkins, a soldier in the Revolutionary war.
His children are Harry S., Nellie M. and Harvey P., and he resides on the
homestead. Mr. Graves has been selectman twenty years, justice of the peace
sixteen years, town clerk eighteen years, and town representative two years.
Russell Risley, son of James who served in the Revolutionary war,
was born in Hartford, Conn., in 1800, came to this town in 1827, and was
the first one to settle on the Risley farm, on road 16. He married Achsah
Wood, and reared seven children, of whom Russell resides on the homestead
with his sisters, Hannah and Achsah W. Russell, Sr., died in
1870, aged seventy years, and his widow died in 1875, aged eighty-three
Robert Ford, a native of Grafton, N.H., came to this town about
1830, and settled on road 15, where he remained until his death in 1862,
aged seventy-five years. He married a Miss Hale, and reared nine children,
of whom James married Ann McCoy, and his children were as follows: Alonzo
L., Philander C., David W., Capt. George O., Charles W., Laurestine B.
and Linette. George O. married Sophronia E., daughter of Josiah and
Sophronia. (Ayer) Grout, has one son, Lew W., and resides on a farm on
road 29. He served in the late war, in Co. K, 8th Vt. Vols., and was promoted
to captain. He has served the town as selectman.
Reuben Bean, son of Daniel, came here in 1833, and was the first
settler on the farm where L. Page now lives, on road 16. He married Sally
Hale, and reared nine children. He died in Lyndon in 1872, aged eighty
years. His son Sewell H., born in 1814, married Miranda Hartwell, and his
children were as follows: Martha A., Reuben, Mary E., Amanda C., Lura A.,
John A. and Charles H. Mrs. Bean died June 18, 1870, aged fifty-seven
years. Mr. Bean now resides on road 12. Charles H. married Clara
M., daughter of Moses and Clarinda (Houston) Emerson, and his children
are Emily M., Carrie J. and Luvia L. He resides with his father on road
Ichabod Young, a native of Weathersfield, Vt., reared seven children,
of whom David married Eusebia Kendall, came here in 1835, and located where
his son now resides, on road 8. He died in 1843, aged sixty years. Of his
eight children, Huntley D. married Eliza Spaulding, and has had born to
him six children, namely, Jeannette A., Eusebia E., Rosella U., Henry H.,
Rufus E. and David S. The latter married Leis A., daughter
of Elhanan W. and Lydia L. (Gregory) Church, and resides on the homestead
with his father. Mr. Young served as town representative in 1861-62, was
recruiting officer in the late war, has been selectman several years, overseer
of the poor twelve years, and has been justice of the peace. Eusebia E.
Young married William H. McGaffey, now at Lyndon Corners, where he has
been a merchant many years.
Jonathan Houghton, son of Jonathan, was a native of Westminster,
Vt., and was the first settler on the farm where his son Jonathan now lives,
on road 3. He married Polly Wilder and had born to him three children,
Amanda E., Mary A. and Jonathan. He died at the age of thirty-eight
years. Jonathan, Jr., married Emeline W., daughter of Moses and Clara (White)
Hosmer, of Burke, who bore him five children, viz.: Amanda E., Helen E.,
Carlton J., Florence A. and Celia E. His wife died October 11, 1880.
Celia E. married Bion Humphrey, son of Joseph B. F. and Marilla C. Humphrey,
and they have two children, Bertha F. and Marion M. She resides with her
father on the homestead.
Josiah Brown, a native of Rhode Island, located here on road 11,
where he remained until his death, at the age of sixty-four years. He married
Susan Willmarth, and reared eight children, viz.: Esther, Abel, Zenas,
Hopestell, Mary, Joseph, Ira and Samuel. The last mentioned married Lucy
Gale, and had six children. Mr. Brown remained on the home farm until his
death, in 1883, aged eighty-one years. His son Josiah married first, Amelia,
daughter of John W. and Amelia (Fuller) Brown, who bore him three children,
Carrie M., Minnie A. and Mary E. He married for his second wife Abbie,
daughter of Harrison and Betsey (Ward) Weeks, and has had born to him four
children, viz.: Addie J., Grace E., Harley J., now deceased, and Florence
B. He resides on the homestead.
Luther Russell, son of Luther who died in Kirby at the age of ninety-six
years, was born in this town. He married, first, Annie Wood, who bore him
eight children, and second, Maria Easterbrooks, who bore him one daughter,
Annie. Mr. Russell moved to Sutton, where he died. One son, Palmer
W., married Laura J., daughter of Nathan C. and Louise (Farnham) Chase,
and had born to him six children, viz.: Nellie A., Flora D., Walter S.,
William P., Dessie M. and Eugene L., Palmer W., born in Kirby June 9, 1829,
went to California and Australia, returned to Kirby, locating on the Deacon
Lockefarm, but later bought the Jonathan Jenkins farm, where he died, April
14, 1883, aged fifty-four years. He held many of the town offices, served
as lister, selectman, agent, justice, overseer of the poor, served as town
representative three times, and held five town offices at the time of his
death. He was a member of the Congregational church, at East St. Johnsbury.
Archibald Chase, of Royalston, Mass., moved to Concord, Vt., in
1807, married Margaret Nichols, and his children were eighteen in number.
He died in Concord, February 15, 1853. His son Elmore married three times,
first, Nancy Taggart, who bore him two children; second, Cynthia Hill,
who bore him six children, and third, Jane D., daughter of Solomon and
Hannah (Dunham) Hudson, who bore him five children, as follows: Lucy J.,
Frank K., Fred M., Nancy M. and George A. Mr. Chase died August
27, 1882, aged seventy-five years. George A. lives on the homestead with
Wheeler Richards, a native of Sharon, Vt., married Betsey Marsh,
and came to Kirby, in 1844. He afterwards moved to Sheffield, where he
died at the age of seventy-five years. His son Joel was born in Derby,
Vt., married Lovinia, daughter of John and Alice (Knights) Russell, and
had born to him five children, viz.: Alice, Charles, Mary, Celia and Winfield
S. He died in 1880, aged sixty years. Winfield S. married Emily,
daughter of Michael and Sarah A. (Stephens) Conley, has two children, Everard
K. and Clarence M., and lives on the homestead, on road 27.
John C. McGinnis, son of William, and grandson of Joseph, a native
of Edinburgh, Scotland, came to America in 1857, and came here about 1861,
locating on road 30, where he now resides. He married Ellen, daughter of
George and Elsie (Cotton) Drew, and has had born to him seven children,
viz.: George, Sherman J., Bertie, Elbina, Frank, Inez and Jennie W.
Lewis Jenkins, son of Lemuel, a Revolutionary soldier, was born
in Chesterfield, N.H., in September, 1799, was an ordained Methodist minister,
and resided in Burke, where he died in 1877. Milo, one of his eleven
children, married first, Amelia, daughter of Jacob and Sally (Pierce) Sanderson,
who bore him five children, viz.: Adna, Fred E., Harris E., Charles A.
and Willie L. He married for his second wife Ellen A., daughter of Asa
and Aseneth (George) Etheridge, and has one daughter, Nellie A. He has
served as lister several years, and was town representative in 1882-83.
Nathan Wetherby, a native of Westminster, Mass., came to this town
and located on the place where W. Damon now lives. He married Tyla Leach,
and had born to him three children, viz.: Silas H., Mary J. and Henry L.
He died in town in 1873, aged seventy-three years. His son Henry L. married
Emeline, daughter of Alanson and Polly (Haywood) Wright, and has had born
to him four children, namely, Revillo W., Elmer E., Alson N. and Eva J.
He resides on road 5, where he has lived eighteen years. He is town treasurer,
has been selectman four years, and represented the town in 1872 and 1884.
Alanson Wright, father of Mrs. Henry L. Wetherby, served in the War of
1812, and died at Lowell, Mass., in 1872, aged seventy-six years.
Caleb Baldwin, a native of Claremont, N.H., where he died in 1838,
reared eight children, of whom Josiah married Esther Farrington in 1845,
has had born to him two children, Hattie I. and Willie C., and resides
in St. Johnsbury. Willie C. married Maggie B., daughter of Joseph and Mary
(Woodbury) Lamb, and has had born to him two children, Lulu A. and Richie
F. He resides in town, on road 29. Enoch P. Woodbury, grandsire
of Mrs. W. C. Baldwin, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war.
Samuel Noyes, a native of Haverhill, Mass., married Sally Rollins,
and reared seven children. He moved to Landaff, N.H., while young and remained
there until his death, in 1848, aged ninety-three years. His son Daniel
married, first, Mehitable Quimby, and had born to him two children, David
and Mehitable, and second, Susan, sister of his first wife, who bore him
eleven children. He died about 1852, aged seventy-two years. His son Ira
has served as selectman many times, married, first, Susan P. Smith, who
bore him three children, Charles A., Ira G. and Daniel M., and second,
Ann Olcott. He resides here on a farm with his son Charles A. The
latter married Ama H., daughter of Cyrus and Dolly (Colby) Smith, and has
one daughter, Susanna.
Nathaniel Reed was an early settler of Concord, married Susan Sweat,
the first couple married in Kirby, and reared six children, viz.: Willard,
Samuel, Louisa, Rosetta, Cynthia and Stephen. He died at the age of eighty
years. Stephen married, first, Polly Chickering, who bore him one
daughter, Adelaide, and second, Polly, daughter of Amos and Ruth (Babcock)
Hutchinson, and had born to him seven children, of whom Winthrop T. married
Celia, daughter of Joel and Lavina (Russell) Richards, has two children,
Winifred M. and Ivanilla E., and resides on a farm on road 27. He served
in the late war, in 3d Vt. Lt. Art.
The Congregational church. — In 1812 the Congregational church was
organized, consisting of eleven members. Timothy Locke was chosen first
deacon, which office he held until his death, in 1850. This church had
no pastor ordained over it but was improved a part of the time by itinerant
ministers from abroad. In 1824, Rev. Luther Wood united with the church,
and continued to preach a portion of the time, until, on account of the
infirmities of age, he was no longer able to perform pastoral duties. In
1828 the church erected a comfortable house of worship, in which they continued
to meet until about 1840, at which time the church numbered forty-five
members. About the same year a new church was formed at East St. Johnsbury.
In order to enjoy better privileges and accommodations than what they had
hitherto been able to, a portion of the Kirby church asked and obtained
dismission from the latter, with a view to uniting with the former. This
exodus from the old church left it in such a feeble condition that it was
no longer able to sustain stated preaching. Of late years, however, more
enthusiasm has prevailed. The building, which is located on road 9, was
repaired in 1885, and is now a comfortable structure. The society has twenty-seven
members, with Rev. George W. Kelley, pastor.
of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 223-229)
was provided by
Population 350, Census of 1900. "Successful Vermonters: A Modern Gazetteer
of Caledonia, Essex, and Orleans Counties." by William H. Jeffrey.