the smallest township in the county, lies in the western part of the same,
in lat. 44º 33' and long. 4º 46', bounded northeast by Wheelock,
southeast by Danville, southwest by Walden, and northwest by the Orleans
county line. It has an area of about 7,339 acres. Until August 19, 1867,
this town was known as Goshen Gore, deriving its name from the town to
which it formerly belonged. By a singular act of the legislature, this
Gore, with another now set off to Washington county, and one in Addison
county, seventy miles distant, were incorporated into a town by the name
of Goshen, chartered February 1, 1792, to John Rowell, William Douglass
and sixty-five others, and was re-chartered to the same November 1, 1798.
And again, the gore now the township of Stannard, was severed from the
town of Goshen by the legislature in 1854. Frequent petitions were sent
to the legislature by its inhabitants to have it organized as a town. Finally
these petitions were granted, August 19, 1867. The town received its name
in honor of General Stannard.
The western portion of the town, towards the Lamoille river, and
comprising nearly two thirds of the territory, is improved, by resident
occupants. The eastern portion is mostly unimproved land, heavily covered
with a growth of hard and soft wood timber. In the northeastern part there
is a pond covering about seventy-five acres, the outlet of which finds
its way to the Connecticut river. T. C. Bronson erected a steam saw-mill
near the outlet of this pond, in 1856, which did an extensive business
for some years. About 300 rods west of this pond is a meadow, supposed
to have been caused by beavers building a dam across a small stream that
has its rise here.
In 1880, Stannard had a population of 252 souls. In 1886 the town
had two school districts and two common schools, employing one male and
three female teachers, to whom was paid an average weekly salary, including
board, of $7.25 and $5.58, respectively. There were ninety-eight scholars,
eight of whom attended private schools. The entire income for school purposes
was $326.93, while the total expenditures were $342.73, with Mrs. E. Bradley,
Stannard (p. o.) is a small but pleasant hamlet, with two churches,
a town hall, one saw-mill, and about a dozen dwellings. But little manufacturing
is done in town, the chief occupation being farming.
The first tree was cut in what is now Stannard by Warren Smith.
This tree stood a few rods south of where T.C. Batchelder now lives.
Mr.Smith never settled in the town. Elihu Sabin built a log house here
in the fall of 1802, and lived in it until 1809, when he built the framed
house now occupied by T.C. Batchelder, on road 16. This was the first framed
house built in town. Sabin lived in town about forty-one years, and was
buried in a small yard on the farm formerly cleared and owned by him. Other
settlers arrived soon after Sabin, among whom were Reuben Smith, Elisha
Shepard, Reuben Crosby, Thomas Ransom, Asariah Boody, Ephraim Perrin and
Mary, daughter of Elihu Sabin, was the first white child born in
town. Edmund Baker and Betsey Sabin were the first couple married here.
The first saw-mill was built in the northwestern part of the town, on a
stream which is the outlet of Wheelockpond in Wheelock. It was built by
George W. Cook, was operated only a short time when it was burned. Another
was soon erected on the same spot, by William Sherburn, which was also
destroyed by fire, and a third mill was built by Enoch Foster. This mill
was of short duration, however, it being torn down. In 1849, Levi Utley
built one on what was then known as Gore brook, now called Stannard brook,
which was operated for several years. The first school was kept by Barilla
Morse, in the fall of 1812, in a barn. The first school-home was built
in 1823, on road 13. In 1834 a second district was formed.
Elihu Sabin, before mentioned as being the first permanent settler
in the town, was born at Dudley, Mass., in 1772. He was known as a trustworthy
man, talented for his day and opportunities, commanding the respect of
all who knew him. He was for about twenty years a justice of the peace,
and held other offices of trust. He died July 9. 1843. He was one of the
twenty-six children of Mr. and Mrs. Gideon Sabin.
Ephraim Perrin was one of the early settlers here. He came from
Connecticut in 1807, and lived alone in a log house for eight years. The
house he constructed was by the side of a large rock, which served the
double purpose of a fire-place and one end of his apartment. Later his
affairs prospered and he married Polly Cheever, and built a framed house.
This wife died in a few years, and he married a second, Maria Cutler, and
reared a large family. He died in 1859.
Elisha Shepard was a native of Connecticut. He came to this town
about 1804. His son Moses D., was born January 5, 1805. He was by occupation
a farmer. He married, in 1831, and reared a family of seven children, three
of whom are living and one, Calvin J., in this town.
Frank A. Paige was a son of James. He was born in Walden, Vt., February
9, 1834 and when two years old he moved with his parents to Hardwick. Here
he lived until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in Co. I,
19th Vt. Vols., serving three years. He married, October 17, 1866, Helen
Walker, and three children have been born to them.
Joseph Clark was born in Peacham, Vt., September 14, 1807. When
quite young he entered a printing office at Wells River, learning the printer's
trade. He afterwards followed this vocation in Stanstead, P. Q., and also
at White River Junction, Vt. In 1837 he came to this town, settling on
the farm now owned and occupied by his son, Joseph H. He died in
Edward Clark, M. D., was born in Peacham, Vt., a son of Edward,
Sr. He was a graduate of Dartmouth college, Hanover, N. H., graduating
in 1822. He at once went to Greensboro, Vt., and commenced practice. He
married Caroline Hale and reared a family of five children, as follows:
Eliza A., Laura C., Egbert W., now of this town, Caroline S. and Lydia
M. He died July 15, 1842.
James Batten was a native of Topsham, Vt. He moved to this town
about 1858. On July 16, 1861, he was mustered into Co. K, 3d Vt. Vols.,
and was killed by a gunshot wound at the battle of Lee's Mills, April 16,
1862. Three of his sons were in the army.
Alfred Chase, son of David, was born in Rumney, N. H., July 14,
1800. He moved to this town about 1825, first settling near road 6. He
married Persis Hedges and reared two children, Almon H., born January 1,
1833, and Hannah E., born September 15, 1835. Almon H. married Elizabeth
Smith and lives on road 17.
Benjamin Blodgett was born in Vershire, Vt., March 4, 1772. He lived
in Vershire about twenty-five years, when he married Polly Greenleaf, of
Connecticut, and moved to Bath, N.H. He reared a family of eight children.
His wife died November 11, 1825, after which he married Sally Utley.
He died February 10, 1858. Only one of his children is living, Joseph F.,
born August 16, 1803. The latter lived in Bath, N.H., until 1837, when
he moved to this town, first locating on road 10. He was twice married,
first to Rosanna Utley, and second to Abigail Sawyer. Of his six children
only two are living, Sally, wife of Nathan Moore, of Monroe, N.H., and
William H., in this town.
Charles Weed, a native of Amesbury, Mass., was born in 1749. He
took an active part in the Revolutionary war, participating in the time-honored
conflict on Bunker Hill. He married Dorothy Goodwin, and reared a family
of three sons and two daughters. About the year 1805 he moved to Topsham,
Vt. The children were Charles, Jr., Joseph, Isaac, Judith and Marion. He
died about 1830, and his wife survived him until about 1838. All of their
children were born in Amesbury, Mass. Joseph married Marion Currier, and
died in Topsham, leaving a family of seven children. Isaac married Sally
Jones, of Topsham, and moved to this town in 1840. They reared a family
of thirteen children, five of whom are living, as follows: Daniel J., Olive,
Sarah, Ephraim G. and Gustie.
The Freewill Baptist church. Most of the early settlers of
this town were of the Freewill Baptist persuasion, and organized a church
here in August, 1841. Rev. John Garfield was their first settled pastor,
although services were conducted by a minister by the name of Blood previous
to the organization of the church. At its original organization the society
consisted of twelve members, but it soon increased to over forty. In 1850
this church resolved itself into a society for the purpose of aiding superannuated
ministers and poor widows and orphans, and to do all they could for their
aid and support.
The Union Baptist church, located at Stannard village, was organized
by its present pastor, Rev. G. B. Wheeler, December 23, 1884, with seventeen
members. The present edifice, built of wood, in 1885, is capable of seating
150 persons, and is valued, including grounds, etc., at $1,500. The Sunday
school has an average attendance of thirty.
The Union Advent Christian church was organized by its first pastor,
Rev. J. H. Smith, October 4, 1885, with eleven members. The building is
capable of seating 125 persons. The society now has seventeen members,
with Rev. J. H. Smith, pastor. A well attended Sunday school is held regularly.
in the Gazetteer the name is listed as "Arthur", it really should be "Andrew."
of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 306-309)
was provided by Tom Dunn.
Stannard Business Directory