lies in the extreme northern part of the county, in lat. 44º 38' and
long. 4º 56', and is bounded on the northeast by Newark and a part
of the Orleans' county line, southeast by Burke, south by Lyndon, and west
by Wheelock, Sheffield and a part of the Orleans' county line. It was originally
chartered under the name of Billymead, February 26, 1782, by the legislature
of Vermont, to Jonathan Arnold and associates. It has an area of 23,140
acres. The name Billymead was retained until 1812, when it was changed
The surface of the town is generally level, laying in four swells
or ridges, which are called the south, middle, north and east ridges.
These divisions are made by three branches of the Passumpsic river, which
have their sources in the northern and western part of the town, and running
southeasterly unite in Lyndon. These streams afford plenty of waterpower.
There are in the northwestern part of the town several ponds, which are
well supplied with fish, and are situated on an elevation where the waters
divide, a part running southerly to the Connecticut river, and a part north
to the the St. Francis river. In some places a few hours' labor would cause
rills or brooks to change their course and flow to the St. Lawrence river
or Long Island sound. There are several bogs of marl of which lime is made;
also several sulphur springs, some iron ore and a quarry of slate. There
is but one mountain worthy of notice, which is in the northwestern part
of the town, near Lake Willoughby, and is called Mount Pisgah or Millstone
mountain. It is about 4,000 feet above tide water and 200 above the
waters of the lake. The natural timber was principally sycamore or sugar
maple, with some beech, birch and ash; but along the streams are large
quantities of spruce and white cedar. The soil is generally free from stone,
and is well adapted to the raising of oats and grass. The inhabitants are
chiefly engaged in agriculture. Gold and silver is also found. This deposit
is situated on the farm of Mrs. Jerome Bailey, near the center of the town.
The precious metal is not being excavated yet, but several assays have
been made, some showing as high as $40.00 per ton. The owner is anxious
to dispose of an interest either in whole or part, in such a way as will
insure its development. The veins are from four to one hundred and fifty
feet thick, running northwest. They cover an area of about 100 acres.
In 1880, Sutton had a population of 838. In 1886 it had ten
school districts and ten common schools, taught during the year by two
male and seventeen female teachers, to whom was paid an average weekly
salary, including board, of $4.11 to the former, and $4.40 to the latter.
There were 192 scholars, five of whom were attending private schools. The
total income for school purposes was $1,573.20, while the whole expenditures
were $1,087.38, with A.P.Tracy, superintendent.
Sutton is a neat little post village located in the southern part
of the town.
Sutton Depot is a station on the Passumpsic R. R.R., in the center
of the town.
West Burke (p. v.) is on the line of Burke.
Brockway's carriage manufactory was established about 1855, by Josiah
Brockway, on the Callender brook, on road 48. There it was carried on till
1876, when Mr. Brockway sold out and moved to a farm on road 36.
In 1877, Edward, his son, began where Alvin W. Brockway now has a paint
shop, corner roads 27 and 37. Here he continued about one and a half years,
and then moved to the steam mill now owned by him, on road 37. He makes
a specialty of farm wagons, and does a general business in repairing carriages
Alvin W. Brockway's carriage and house painting shop, corner roads
37 and 27, was established in the spring of 1885. He does a general painting
Aldin Reinnie's mill, on Callender brook, near roads 48, 47 and
50, was built about 50 years ago. Mr. Rennie bought it in 1878. It has
a circular mill, planing and shingle machine, and saws 300,000 feet of
lumber and 1,000,000 shingles per year.
Bean's carriage factory on Callender brook, road 48, was first used
as a foundry. After being owned by various parties it was purchased by
George N.M. Bean, in 1879. He does a general carriage and repair business.
George Whipple makes butter firkins in the lower story of the building.
Bundy's grist-mill, on road 67, came into the possession of Oscar
E. Bundy in 1885. He does custom grinding of all kinds.
Freeman Hyde's saw-mill. Mr. Hyde has the oldest iron part
of a sawmill in town. It was brought from New Hampshire on a hand-sled
nearly ninety years ago, and is now used by him in sawing lumber.Mr.Hyde
has had the mill since 1866, and saws about 100,000 feet of lumber per
S. J. & S.N.Whipple's saw-mill, on Callender brook, road 39,
corner 23 and 40, was built by Ward P. Whipple, in. 1852. In 1858,
Samuel N. bought a half interest of Ward P., and then, in 1860, SargentJ.
bought out Ward P. and went into partnership with Samuel N. In 1862
they sold to David Powers. He died, and Daniel Norris bought it of the
administrator, and then, in 1880, Samuel N. and Sargent J. bought of Norris,
and have done business there since, under the name of S.J. & S.N. Whipple.
They get out about 700,000 feet of coarse lumber, and about 1,200,000 shingles
annually, employing five hands.
Alfred Burnham's mill is located on Callender brook, road 46 ½.
The first use of this privilege was for a woolen factory and carding-mill.
This was burned in 1852, and in 1853, Samuel and William Dinsmore built
the present building. They made potato starch, and had a carding-mill.
About 1866 they sold to Lewis Holmes. He run the carding-machine and dressed
cloth. Holmes sold to Alfred Burnham, in 1873, and he runs the carding-mill
and gets out lumber. He cards two tons of wool per year, gets out 100,000
shingles, and has made about 1,000 butter tubs per year.
Elmer S. Roundy's mill is situated on a branch of the Passumpsic
river, in the eastern part of the town, near West Burke post office, on
road 9. The grist-mill was built by Daniel Beckwith, who sold to Dean &
Johnson. Mr. Johnson's administrator sold to Mr. Roundy, in 1882,
and then, in 1883, Mr. Dean sold out to Mr.Roundy. He gets out about 1,000,000
shingles per annum, saws about 100,000 feet of coarse lumber, and grinds
150,000 bushels of grain.
Parker’s oil distillery, on road 29, near road 28, was built in
1875, by C. Parker, for the purpose of distilling cedar oil. He employs
about six hands and gets out $1,800.00 worth of oil per year.
The Orleans and Caledonia Lumber Co. have a steam mill on road 1.
The mill was built in 1868. For some years they did a large business, but
now the raw material is getting scarce in the vicinity, and they only cut
about 1,200 cords of logs yearly. This is cut into coarse lumber and shingles.
Henry F. Pillsbury, of Barton, bought the mill in 1884, and runs it now.
There is also a farm of about fifty acres connected with the mill, and
about 3,600 acres of wild land. Mr. Pillsbury has a residence in Jacksonville,
Fla., where he spends his winters. On the farm connected with the mill
he has ten Jersey cows, which are pronounced among the best in the State.
The mill has a circular-saw, shingle-machine, two planers and one matcher.
The settlement of the town was commenced in 1790, by a Mr. Hackett,
who was soon after joined by several other families from Sandwich and Moultonboro,
in the county of Stafford, N.H., together with a few families from Lyndon
and the adjoining towns. The town was-organized July 4, 1794. Samuel Orcutt
was chosen moderator; James Cahoon, town clerk; John Anthony, Samuel Cahoon
and Samuel Orcutt, selectmen; and Jeremiah Washburn, constable.
Samuel Orcutt, one of the first settlers of this town, moved here
in 1793, and settled on the place where Mr. Dowd now resides, on road 51.
He was a blacksmith by trade, married Elsie Brown, of Kittery, Me., and
reared eight children. Samuel Orcutt, his descendant, who now resides on
road 29, married Clarrissa Danforth, of Burke, and has had born to him
three children, viz.: Harrison, who married Paolina Kennerston, and has
four children, namely, Irvin E., Franklin H., Ellery and Wallace;Mary L.
(Mrs. Charles Gray), of Newark; and Jennie, who married Jennerson Corliss,
a carpenter in Spencer, Mass.
Samuel Blake came to this town from Moultonboro, N.H., settled on
the place where John A. Rice now lives, and built a log cabin, which was
soon occupied by his parents, who came here a few months later. His father,
Enoch, reared eight children, of whom Samuel, Stephen, Ebenezer, Enoch
Jr., Jacob, and Betsey, who married a Mr. Corliss, settled in this town.
Enoch, Jr., married Betsey Ladd, of this town, and reared ten children,
only two of whom, Mary (Mrs. Daniel Hurd), who resides in Danville, Vt.,
and Joseph, are now living. The latter has had born to him six children,
viz.: Amanda, who married Orange W. Taylor, and resides in South Danville,
Vt.; Arthur P., who served in the late war in Co. E, 3d Vt. Vols., and
also in Co. C, 4th Vt. Vols., and died in the hospital at Baltimore; Adelaide,
who married James Craig, and lives in Peacham; Henry A., who married Kate
J. Otis, of Sheffield, Vt., and has one daughter, Sadie E. and two children
who died in infancy. Henry A. was at one time a farmer, opened a store
here, which he kept till 1874, and in 1876 took the special agency for
Vermont and New Hampshire for the Pacific Guano Company, which he continued
nine years. He opened the store now conducted by him in 1882. He has held
the clerkship of the Freewill Baptist church here for ten years, and has
been clerk of the Vermont Yearly Conference Meeting of that church for
Thomas Colby came to this town as one of the early settlers, and
located on the place where Moulton Taft now lives. Daniel, one of his eleven
children, married Polly Hutchins, of Sandwich, N.H., and reared children
as follows: Josiah, John, who lives in West Burke; Harrison, who keeps
a livery stable at Fort Dodge, Ia.; Daniel, who lives in East Concord,
Vt., and is extensively engaged in the lumber business; Sally, who married,
first, Samuel Evans, and second, Squire Cobleigh, and resides at West Burke;
Polly, who married Thomas Bartlett, and lives in Iowa; and Esther (Mrs.
Andrew Walker), who lives in Ohio. Josiah married Mrs. Betsey Lee, and
reared children as follows: John W., a farmer in this town, who has two
sons, Harry C., who is in the lumber business in Washington Territory,
and Harley R., at home; Mary, who married George Warner, of St. Johnsbury;
George W., a physician in this town; Cornelia A., who married Alphonso
Humstead, and died in 1868, leaving one child; Sarah A., who died in 1863;
Luella, who died in 1846; Calista A., who died in 1832; and Perry, who
died in 1828. Josiah died May 24, 1878, aged seventy-four years, and his
widow died in 1879, also aged seventy-four years.
Dr. George W. Colby was born in this town, in 1834, attended the
common school and the academy here, and in 1859 went to the Homeopathic
Medical college of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia. After graduating he returned
to this town, commenced practicing here, and with a short time at West
Concord, he has since practiced here. He married Emily Kincaid, of Burke,
Vt., in 1866, and has three children, Mary L., born in 1875, Maud G., born
in 1881, and Millicent P., born in 1884.
Luther Curtis came to this town from Swanzey, N.H., about 1806,
first settled at the “Corners” and then moved to road 3. His son
Thaddeus married Polly Chase, and reared children as follows: Sarah, Corisandra,
Gratia (Mrs. Tite), of this town, Delilah (Mrs. Oliver Badger), of Lyndonville,
Vt., Roxania (Mrs. Hayward), of this town, Allen B., Orrin T. and Francis
C. Thaddeus served as representative several times, was justice of the
peace, and was selectman many years. Orrin T. married Viletta B. Olmstead
for his first wife, who bore him two children, Mary M. and Frances E.,
who died in infancy. He married for his second wife Marilla B. Foster,
and had born to him one child, Harold D., and married for his third wife,
Florence D. Wells.
James Campbell, a Revolutionary soldier, came to this town, from
Putney, with his wife, one daughter and two sons, in 1806, and settled
on the place where Charles Switser now lives, on road 39. His son Benjamin
married Betsey Wilson, and reared sixteen children, nine of whom are living,
namely, Chloe, in Wheelock, James, a cloth manufacturer, of Manchester,
N.H., Sabra (Mrs. Lorenzo Sulloway), of Wheelock, Ezekiel, of Brattleboro,
Vt., Josephine (Mrs. Norman Barton), of Rome. N.Y., Betsey (Mrs. Richard
Teague), of Turner, Me., Abram, of Stanstead, P, Q., Sylvia (Mrs. Cowles),
of New York City, and Alonzo, of Lowell, Vt. James, Jr., married
Ruth, daughter of Jesse Ainger, and reared nine children, four of whom
are living, namely, Nahum K., Milton, Martha (Mrs. Frank Switzer), of St.
Johnsbury, and Lucius J. The last mentioned married Mary A. Cross, of Bridgewater,
N.H., is engaged in the grocery and hotel business, and has been postmaster
for the past six years. He served in the late war, in Co. G, 15th Vt. Vols.
Milton married Adeline A., daughter of Stephen Blake, brother of one of
the first settlers of the town, and has had born to him three children,
of whom Eugene M. lives in Lyndon, and Jennie M. (Mrs. Frederick E. Chapman),
lives in this town. He his been sheriff, constable, town treasurer and
justice of the peace. Nahum K. has done considerable business as a contractor
and as a dealer in live stock and wool. He served the town in the legislature
of 1869, and has held various minor offices.
Caleb Allard came to this town from Wheelock, Vt., about 1808, and
located in the eastern part of the town, on road 10. He married, first,
Henrietta Runnels, and second, Mrs. Ruth Woodard Bary. His children were
as follows: Welcome, Persis, Hiram, of West Burke, Lovina, Hiloman, Almina,
Reuben, Mary Ann, who married Abner Coe, of Island Pond, Vt., Lydia, who
married Gary Page, of East Burke, Vt., Cordelia, who married James Craig,
of this town, and Julia. Reuben married Harriet Boyden, in 1843, and reared
eight children, viz; Kingsley, who served in the late war, in Co. K, 9th
Vt. Vols., and died from disease contracted there; Albert R.; Persis,
who married Thomas Mitchell, of this town, and is now deceased; Alfred;
Hollis; Leander, a traveling salesman in the west; Letta, who married David
Silsby, of Lyndonville. Vt., and Amelia J.
John Fogg came to this town in 1810, locating on road 28, and reared
twelve children, only one of whom is living, James, who is ninety years
of age, and resides in Manchester, N.H. John, Jr., was born
in Gilmanton, N.H. in 1804, lived in Westmore at one time, which town he
served as selectman and lister, and reared ten children. His son Oliver
M. married, first, Abbie Orn, who bore him six children, viz.: Jennie,
Jessie, both of whom died in infancy, Arthur, of St. Johnsbury, Kate (Mrs.
Edgar A. Dow), of Charlestown, Mass., George H., of Boston, and Leroy,
of Monroe, N.H. Mrs. Fogg died in 1863, and he married for his second
wife Martha White, who has borne him one child, Mabel. Warner,
son of John, Jr., married Louisa R. Daniels, and has one child, Eugene
L. Mr. Fogg served in the late war, enlisting in Co. I. 15th
Vt. Vols., August 18, 1862.
Josiah Willard came to this town in 1804, and settled on the place
where his son Charles W. now lives. He married Mary Bean, and reared nine
children, four of whom are living, as follows: David B., of Lyndon, Mary,
who married Laban Gray and is now a widow in Lyndon, Roanha (Mrs. Alanson
Eastman), of Lyndon, and Charles W. Mr. Willard took an interest
in town affairs, and served as selectman and as justice of the peace. His
son Charles W. married Julia Quimby, of Lyndon, and has one adopted daughter,
Angie F. He has been town representative, and has also been
selectman, lister and justice of the peace.
Asahel Roundy came to this town, from Unity, N.H., in 1821, married
Melinda Allen, and had born to him ten children, five of whom are living.
Of these, Luther married Jane Wilson, and lives in Burke; William R. married
Carrie Ladd, of Burke, and has had born to him two children, Willie E.
and Mabel, the latter now deceased; Julia married James Darling, who served
in the late war, and died from exposure; Justin O. married Julia Sprague,
of Newport, Vt., has one son, Carl, and resides in New York city; and Silas
married Margaret Darling, of Glover, Vt., and has had born to him eight
children, as follows: Silas E., of West Burke. Charles, Juliette (Mrs.
Herbert Doyle), of West Burke, Viola C. (Mrs. Ezra Parker), of West Burke,
Edwin J., who married Lucy Mack, and lives here, Frederick A., who married
Mattie Cheney, George L., who married Addie Miles, and lives in West Burke,
Vt., and Olin E.
Stephen Eaton came to this town, from Derby, in 1823, and located
where E. Roundy now lives, on road 26. He opened a hotel soon after he
came, and was engaged in that business for nearly twenty years. He served
as town representative several terms, was selectman several years, and
died in 1846. He married Sarah Crane, and reared seven children.
Luther Rice came to this town from Sandwich, N.H., in 1829, located
first on road 2, then on road 1. He married Anna H. Kennerson, and had
born to him five children, viz: Amanda, who died in infancy, Oscar F.,
of California, Selam N., who died in infancy, Jane F., who married Luther
Gray, and died in 1885, and Alfred. Mr. Rice died in 1873. His son Alfred
married Ann Fuller, of Charleston, Vt., for his first wife, who died in
1865, and for his second wife, Mrs. Louise (Olmstead) Fyler. He has an
adopted daughter, Mary (Mrs. Alvah P. Sias). Mr. Rice, after residing
in Iowa, Texas, and other places, returned to this town in 1865.
Stephen Switser moved to this town in 1839, locating on the place
where Silas Gray now lives, residing there about twenty years. He married,
first, Lydia Hill, of Canada, and reared nine children, four of whom are
living, namely, Francis, of St. Johnsbury, Charles, Stephen and Isaac,
of St. Johnsbury. His wife died in 1851, and he married for his second
wife Mahalia Johnson, and had born to him six children, four of whom are
living, viz.: Riley, of St. Johnsbury, William, of South Barton, Mattie
(Mrs. Byron W. Berry) of Sutton, and Arvilla (Mrs. Jefferson Berry), of
South Barton. Charles, son of Stephen, married Asenath Berry, and has four
children, namely, Freddie A., an adopted son, Harley W. and Charley W.
twins, and Anna.
Solomon Mitchell came to this town, from Sheffield, Vt., in 1836,
married Hannah West, of England, and has had born to him eleven children,
nine of whom are living, viz.: William, of Sheffield, Vt, George, of Rock
Valley, Ia., Ann (Mrs. Amos Drown) of Wheelock, Sarah (Mrs. Warren Leland),
of Barton, Mary (Mrs. Charles Nutt), Thomas, Henry, Leonard and Wesley
Joseph Ball was one of the first settlers of Concord, Vt., and reared
twelve children, only four of whom are living, namely, Lydia (Mrs. Samuel
Brigham), of Southboro, Mass., Samuel, of Littleton, N.H., Phinehas, of
Lunenburgh, Vt., and Levi. The last mentioned came here in 1840, and married
first, Mercy Adams, who bore him children as follows: Adaline (Mrs. Charles
R. Dustin), of Manchester, N.H., Joseph and Levi, Jr., who served in the
late war, in 4th Vt. Vols., and died at Fredericksburg, Va. His wife died
in 1840, and he married for his second wife, Rebecca Blanchard, and had
born to him five children, viz.: Charles, of Brooklyn, N.Y., George, who
died at the age of eighteen years, Mary (Mrs. Charles H. Brown), of Lynn,
Mass., Mercy, who died at the age of five years, and John, who died at
the age of eight years.
Arad Ball came to this town from Newark, married Sylvania Beckwith,
and reared children as follows: Truman Z., Amos B., of Piermont,
N.H., Caroline (Mrs. Elbridge Gee), of Marlow, N.H., Daniel B. who is United
States marshall, in Nebraska, James H., who died at the age of twenty-one
years, and Albert H. Mrs. Ball died in 1856, and Mr. Ball died
August 17, 1885. His son Albert H. married Malinda Easton, of Lyndon, Vt.,
and has had born to him five children, viz.: Harley, who died at the age
of one and a half years, Henry T., who lives in Newton, Mass., Frank W.,
John M. and George Bradley, who died at the age of two and a half years.
Mr. Ball was town representative in 1878, has been selectman nine years,
and has served as lister several years.
Nathaniel Noyes, born in Landaff, N.H., in 1801, married Betsey
Bartlett, of Bath, N.H., and came to this town in 1838, first locating
on road 12 but subsequently removed to the corner of roads 6 and 11, where
he died in 1883. His first wife bore him eight children, and died in 1842.
His second wife, Lydia Rice, bore him a daughter, Mrs. George Shumway,
of Webster, Mass., and died in 1864. In 1865 he married his third
wife, Mrs. Arvilla Rice. Of Mr. Noyes's children, Julia (Mrs. Michael Noyes),
lives in Landaff, N.H.; Moses W., who married Aurilla Richardson, is a
resident of Sutton; and Myron B., who married Martha Hill, resides in Rhode
Anson Gray came here about 1840, married Polly Ham, of Middlebury.
Vt., and has had born to him five children, namely: Orpha (Mrs. Ezra. Bemis),
of Rowe, Mass., Harriet, who died in 1853, Margaret (Mrs. Richard Jenness),
of Lyndonville, Anson W., who died in 1873, and Silas W., who married Maria
Briggs, of Milton, Vt. Mr. Gray is a member of the Freewill Baptist
church, in Sheffield, Vt.
Rawson Stoddard was born in Chesterfield, N.H., March 21, 1821,
and came to this town in 1846. He located in the eastern part of the town,
lived here for a time, then moved to New Hampton, then to Westmore, to
West Burke, and finally returned to this town. He married Levina B. Kibbey
of Lyndon, Vt., January 1, 1844, and has had born to him three children,
namely: Meigs K., who served in the 11th Vt. Vols., and died in Libby prison,
Orrisa M., who died in infancy, and Ella A., who married Royal Wiggins,
of this town.
Gilbert Ellis, born in Claremont, N.H., in 1795, moved to Barre,
Vt., in 1817, where he learned the saddler's trade. He married Rebecca
Pollard. In 1824 he moved to Barton, Vt., where he carried on the harness
business. He reared four children, viz.: J. P., who is engaged in the mercantile
business in Boston; Reuben; Helen, who married J. B. Robbinson, who died
in 1872, leaving one son, Homer; and Harley, who is a jeweler in New York.
Reuben came to Sutton in 1846, and has been twice married. He married first,
Ruth, daughter of Jonathan and Tamar Pillsbury, who died in May, 1855,
leaving two sons, namely, J. P., 2d, who is in the mercantile business,
in Glover, Vt., and has one daughter, Florence, and G. B., who has one
daughter, Virginia G. Mr. Ellis married for his second wife, Adelia
Colby of Burke, in May, 1856. She died May 14, 1881. Mr. Ellis has held
many offices of trust, has been overseer of the poor for the past eighteen
years, justice of the peace fifteen years, and has been town grand juror
and town agent for twelve years. In 1870, he was elected a member of the
constitutional convention, and in 1874 and 1876 was elected representative
of his town to the general assembly at Montpelier.
Timothy Olmstead was born in Lyman, N.H., (now called Monroe) in
1815, moved to St. Johnsbury in 1836, and married Maria Humphrey the same
year. He then moved to Ohio, where he lived ten years, then to Burke, Vt.,
and came to Sutton in 1861, locating on the place where James Dunklee now
lives, off road 2. He has had born to him four children, viz.: Louise (Mrs.
Alfred Rice), of this town, Viletta P., who married Orin Curtis, and is
now deceased, Alphonso M., of Barton, Vt., and Frederick G., who died when
Jonathan Berry was born in Sheffield, Vt., January 2, 1819, lived
part of his life in Barnstead, P. Q., and has lived in this town for the
past twenty years. He married Nancy Bickensail, and has had born to him
eight children, viz.: William S., of Derry, N.H., Frank who died in infancy,
Marcus, Franklin O., Byron W., Leslie M., Jefferson, of Barton, Vt., and
Hattie (Mrs. Edwin Peavy), Byron W. married Mattie Switser, and has three
children, namely, Ernest M., Ervin B. and Lula M.
Alonzo A. Webster was born in Sheldon, Vt., in 1817, married Sophronia
Permit, and has had born to him four children, as follows: John, of Lyndonville,
Jason B.; who resides in this town, on road 29, Delucia and Delilia, twins.
Delucia (Mrs. W. A. Corliss) lives in Lyndonville. Delilia resides with
Jason B., and Mr. Webster also lives with him.
David Kinison, a soldier of the War of 1812, moved to Westmore in
1810, married Malinda Cushing, of Burke, and reared two children, Matilda
and Lyman B. The former married, first, John Brockway, and is now the wife
of Mr. Hutchinson, of Lyndon. Lyman B. married twice, first, Mary A. Bishop,
of Westmore, Vt., who bore him seven children viz.: Cynthia, who married
Ira Allard, and died in 1863; Matilda, who married Mack Sherry, and died
in 1865; Daniel W., of Burke; Charles, who died in 1840; Paolina, who married
H. Orcott, of this town; Frederick, of Erving, Mass.; and Edwin, of Worcester,
Mass. Mrs. Kinison died in 1865, and Mr. Kinison married for his second
wife Melinda (Bishop) Hudson.
Luther B. Harris, of this town, was a soldier in the late war, serving
in Co. D, 4th Vt. Vols., and was taken prisoner at Ream's Station, south
of Petersburg, June 22, 1863. He was taken to Libby, Danville, Andersonville,
Florence, Savannah, Charlestown and Salisbury prisons.
Bradbury M. Richardson came to this town, from Moultenborough, N.H.,
and first located on road 54. One son, Joseph, married Lucina Allen, of
Wheelock, and reared children as follows: Aurilla, Joseph, three who died
in infancy, Frances (Mrs. M. W. Noyes), Bradbury, Riley, Jackson and George.
Bradbury, Jackson and George are homeopathic physicians, in New York city.
Riley married Ann J. Stoddard, and has had born to him five children, namely,
Ethel M., who died at the age of ten years, Bradbury, who died at the age
of eight years, Gertie, Ernest and Milicent.
James McGennis was born in Leeds, Canada, in 1825, married Margaret
Montgomery, and has had five children, as follows: Edward, Jennie, who
married L. A. Spaulding, of Newport, James, of Dakota, Margaret, who died
at the age of four years, and William, who died at the age of two years.
Edward married Carrie M. Bemis, and has two children, Harry B. and Arthur
Arthur E. Kincaid was born in Wisconsin, in 1848, and has been engaged
in sea-faring business since he was fifteen years of age. In this way he
has traveled extensively, having been in most parts of the world.
Edmund H. Butterfield was born in Fairlee, Vt. in 1819, moved to
Island Pond in 1846, and after living there, and in several other places,
located upon the place where he now resides. He married Ursulia Foster,
for his first wife, who bore him six children, as follows: Emily, of Haverhill,
N.H., Andrew E., of Richford, Vt., Riley, who lives in Thornton, N.H.,
Ella J., who died at the age of nineteen years, Elam, of California, and
Ursulia, who married Arthur Kincaid, of this town. Mrs. Butterfield died
in 1862, and he married for his second wife, Ellen McIntire, of Fitchburg,
Mass., in 1866. They have one child, Harvey W.
Denison D. Hayward was born in Berlin, Vt., in 1811, moved to Burke
in 1853, where he lived twenty one years, and then came to this town, He
married Roanney Fisher, who has borne him nine children, two of whom are
living, Mrs. Oren D. Philbrick and Mrs. Thomas E. A. Sturgeon, both of
this town. One son, Rufus A., served in the late war, in Co. B, 4th VT.
Vols., and was wounded at the battle of Fredericksburg, from the effects
of which he died seven years later.
Freeman Hyde, son of Joshua and Betsey (Dolloff) Hyde, was born
March 26, 1845. His father died in 1849, and he and his mother moved to
this town soon after. He served in the late war enlisting in 1862, in Co.
G, 15th Vt. Vols. He was in twenty-six battles, and was wounded at Ashland,
Va., June 1, 1864. Lewis C., brother of Freeman, was born June 29, 1848,
and also served in the late war, and was wounded in several engagements.
He died October 17, 1879, from disease caused by wounds received in the
William Greene came to this town when a young man, and located on
the place where his son Thomas C. now lives, on road 41. He married Harriet
Ham, of Troy, N.Y., and had born to him thirteen children, four of whom
are living, viz.: Thomas C., Martha, William J. and John W. William J.
married Miss Dennett, of Pittsfield, N.H., and has two children, Cora I.
and Fred S.
The First Freewill Baptist church, at Sutton village, was originally
organized in 1804, and Rev. John Colby was the first pastor. The church
became divided and run down, and in 1837 a new organization was effected,
the present church. Rev. Jonathan Woodmall was its first pastor, who is
now living in Lowell, Mass., and is yet a member of the church here, though
nearly eighty-eight years old. He preached here nearly forty years
in all. The church has had the labors of a good number of able preachers,
and it is the largest society of the denomination in the state. The present
church building was erected in 1832. It is a wooden structure, capable
of seating 300 persons, and is valued at $2,500.00. The society has 180
members, with Rev. A. P. Tracy, pastor.
of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 345-354)
was provided by Tom Dunn.