OF THE TOWN OF
THE town of Charlotte, lying in the southwestern part of the county,
is bounded north by Shelburne, east by Hinesburg, south by Ferrisburgh
in Addison County, and west by Lake Champlain. The charter was granted
on the 24th of June, 1762, by Benning WENTWORTH, the royal governor of
New Hampshire, to the following proprietors: Benjamin FERRIS, Jonathan
AIKEN, Benjamin FERRIS, jr., Josiah AKIN, Daniel WING, Lot TRIPP, David
AKIN, jr., Tim DAKIN, John CROMWELL, John Hoag MERITI, John Hoag the 2d,
John WING, Reed FERRIS, Zebulon FERRIS, WING KELLEY, Nehemiah MERRIT, Abraham
THOMAS, Anthony TRIPP, Elias PALMER, David PALMER, Samuel COE, George SOULE,
Elijah DOTY, Peter PALMER, Josiah BULL, Josiah BULL, jr., John HITCHCOCK,
John BROWNSON, Jona. Dow, Enoch HOAG, Steward SOUTHGATE, Nathaniel PORTER,
jr., Jedediah DOW, Robert SOUTHGATE, John SOUTHGATE, Daniel MERRITT, Nehemiah
MERRIT, jr., Stephen NOBLE, Dobson WHEELER, Samuel BROWN, Joshua DILLAPLAIN,
William FIELD, Isaac MARTIN, John LAWRENCE, John BURLING, John FRANKLIN,
Thomas FRANKLIN, jr., Samuel FRANKLIN, James FRANKLIN, Isaac CORSA, Elijah
WEST, Robert CASWELL, Joseph FERRIS, Joseph FERRIS, jr., David FERRIS,
Daniel CHASE, Patrick THATCHER, Thomas DARLING, the Hon. John TEMPLE, lieutenant-governor,
Theodore ATKINSON, esq., Mark Hunking WENTWORTH, esq., John NELSON, esq.,
George FROST, esq.
The charter conveyed a tract about six miles square, bounded as
No changes of boundaries have been made in this tract. The town
possesses the best of agricultural facilities and a surface that seems
to have been made for the pleasure of the eye. Extending through the town
from north to south is a range of low mountains dividing the township into
two nearly equal parts, the highest points of which are Mount Philo to
the south, Pease Mountain in the center, and Mutton Hill to the north.
This natural division of the town has frequently exemplified the experience
of whole nations, and even of Vermont herself, that families, tribes, or
peoples separated by territorial barriers cannot always be at one in sentiment.
The principal streams are Lewis Brook, flowing across the southeastern
corner of the town; La Plotte River, across the northeastern corner; Bear's
Brook, flowing south into Addison county, and thence turning north again
across the southwestern corner of the town, where it is discharged into
the lake; Beaver Brook, rising in the central part of the town and flowing
north into La Plotte River; and PRINGLE Brook, also rising in the central
part, flowing west and north into Holmes Creek, and thence to the lake.
All of these streams have numerous tributaries which plentifully irrigate
the soil of the town.
at a marked tree standing in the northerly line of the township of Monkton,
thence running west about two miles and one-half by Monkton to the northwesterly
corner thereof, which is also the northwesterly corner of Ferrisburgh,
and thence about four miles by Ferrisburgh aforesaid to Lake Champlain;
then beginning again at the first mentioned marked tree, and running thence
north six miles to a marked tree, thence west about six miles to Lake Champlain
aforesaid, then as the said lake runs, southerly to the northeasterly corner
bound of Ferrisburgh aforesaid."
The surface was originally covered with a large amount of marketable
timber, oak in the western and pine in the eastern parts, which induced
a rapid settlement of the township after the granting of the charter, the
principal industry along the lake for many years being the felling and
rafting to Quebec of spars for the masting of the "royal navy of Great
Britain." It was rarely the intention of the grantees of a Vermont township
to assist personally in clearing and cultivating the land of the same,
the motive power being generally a desire to "buy cheap and sell dear,"
and in many instances, perhaps, also to get ahead of the "New York land
jobbers." Consequently the proprietors usually did little more than open
roads, construct bridges, and provide for the building of the necessary
mills, in order to increase the market value of their property.
From the records of the early proprietors' meetings the natural
inference is that most of the grantees were residents on the "Oblong,"
in Duchess county, N.Y., yet there is no evidence that they sympathized
for a moment with the governmental authorities in that province in their
endeavors to wrest the territory from the possession of New Hampshire.
The earliest record now accessible is dated July 29, 1762, at the house
of Daniel MERRITT, on the Oblong, Duchess county, "province of New York,"
by the proprietors "of the township of Charlotta in Newhampshier." Benjamin
FERRISS was the moderator of this meeting, and Benjamin FERRISS, jr., was
chosen first proprietors' clerk. John WING, George SOULE, and Josiah BULL
were appointed a committee "to agree with the committees of other townships
how to settle the lines between sd Charlotta and the townships of Ferrisburgh,
Monkton and Hinesburg," what proportion of the cost these proprietors should
bear, and to engage a surveyor to lay the boundaries of the town of "Charlotta."
The meeting was then adjourned to the house of Asahel NOBLE, at New Milford,
Conn., on the 12th of August, 1762.
At that meeting it was voted, among other proceedings, that the
"clerk shall record the Patent for sd Charlotta, and have four shillings
York money for the same." On the 9th of May, 1763, at a meeting held at
the house of Daniel MERRITT, in Duchess county, N. Y., it was voted that
Benjamin FERRISS, jr., should have eighteen shillings a day "for surveying
and lotting Charlotta, and returning a good .and true plan of his work,"
and that John McEWEN, Asahel HITCHCOCK, Zachariah FERRISS, and John PHILIPS
have ten shillings a day as his assistants. David FERRISS was also mentioned
afterwards as one of the surveyors of the township. The survey was completed
between the 26th of June and the 5th of August, 1763.
The first meeting after the close of the Revolutionary War was held
on the 29th of March, 1785, at the house of Jonathan ROBINSON, in Bennington,
Vt., pursuant to a warrant published in the “Vermont Gazette” of February
The proprietors of Charlotte offered all conceivable inducements
to promote the rapid settlement of the town, and at their last meeting
held before the Revolution, May 18, 1765, passed a vote to give 100 acres
of land from each right for settling the town, though no one was to come
on without an order from the proprietors' committee. There is no record
that such an order was ever given, however, or that any one attempted to
avail himself of the offer by making a settlement.
The first attempt to settle was made by a German by the name of
Derick WEBB, who came in March, 1766, but soon left, and returned in March,
1777. He again left the following May. No permanent settlement was effected
until 1784, when WEBB and Elijah WOOLCOT moved in and were followed soon
after by others. It has been related that during one of WEBB's temporary
residences here pending the Revolution he took his children out to Hill's
Bay to see the lake, when they were captured by a party of Indians, and
WEBB was taken to Canada and there detained for several months, while the
children were left on the shore. About the same time the Indians visited
Mrs. WEBB in the cabin, and began to destroy the household effects, preparatory
to burning the house. To her entreaties not to burn the cabin they replied
that they must set fire to it, as they were under strict orders to do so,
but that they would immediately leave, when she might extinguish it if
she wished, which she easily succeeded in doing. WEBB's original settlement
was probably made in the west part of the town near the Shelburne line,
where Colonel Thomas SAWYER made his gallant and victorious fight. It was
many years afterwards that he settled near the site of the railroad station.
One of the earliest settlements in town was that made about 1784
by James HILL, on the place about Holmes Bay, now occupied by his grandson,
Thomas Chittenden Hill. HILL's wife, a daughter of Governor Thomas CHITTENDEN,
is said to have often declared that she was for three months "the handsomest
woman in town, for the very good reason that she was the only one." Being
a man of some means, James HILL erected a grist-mill on the creek near
his house, which long ago disappeared, but which for years supplied the
demand of the farmers of the neighborhood, and even those who lived on
the other side of the lake. He afterwards bought the grist-mill in Ferrisburgh,
whether his son, Thomas C., removed and remained two or three years. After
a residence here of twenty-five or thirty years Mr. HILL removed to Kentucky,
where he soon after died. Of his two sons, James and Thomas C., the former
accompanied him to Kentucky, where he married and stayed the remainder
of his life. Many of his descendants are there now. Thomas C., the younger,
purchased the homestead and remained there during his life. He was a man
of clear perception, sound judgment and firm will. He was the father of
About the year 1784 Dr. James TOWNER, John HILL, Solomon SQUIER,
Moses FALL, Daniel HOSFORD, and others moved into the town, and after this
time settlement rapidly progressed. Among the other early settlers were
Moses YALE removed to this town from Meriden, Conn., in about 1783,
and located not far from the Shelburne line, on the farm. now owned by
Henry THORP. During this summer he erected the frame f a log house, made
a small clearing, and in the fall returned to his family in Connecticut,
after having sowed his clearing with wheat, assisted by his only neighbors,
James HILL and John McNEIL. In the following spring he returned with his
family by the way of Whitehall and the lake, being drawn on the ice by
a yoke of steers and an old horse. The hardships which these families endured
at these times cannot be described. During the summer of 1784 food was
so scarce and difficult to obtain that the family were compelled to resort
for subsistence on fish and the herbs and roots of the forest. Moses YALE
had a family of six children, three sons and three daughters, only one
of whom, Lyman, the eldest, remained in town. He remained on the homestead
until his death, in 1840, aged sixty-seven years. He held many positions
of trust in his town, and was one term its representative in the Legislature.
Of his seven children, only one, William, now resides in town, occupying
the original farm of John McNEIL.
John McNEIL, a leading man among the early settlers, came here about
this time from Litchfield, Conn., and erected his cabin and cleared his
land on the lake shore. He early established a ferry across the lake to
Essex, N. Y., which he ran for many years, and which still bears his name.
He was the first town clerk, the first representative, and was ever intimately
identified with the best movements for the good of the town. Of his six
children, Charles, the eldest, retained the home farm, and continued the
business of farming and conducted the ferry which his father had originated.
The ferry was an extensive concern until the opening of railroads, which
diverted the channels of trade and travel.
David HUBBELL came from Lanesboro, Mass., in 1784, and settled on
the brook that intersects the farm now owned by his grandson, Luther R.
HUBBELL. Like many other early immigrants, he made his way through Whitehall
and down the lake by rafts. Several years after his arrival his house was
burned, and was replaced by another, upon the site of S. E. Russell's present
residence. Here he opened a tavern, in which he conducted a successful
business for years. The house now occupied by his grandson was also built
by him in 1800. He died at the age of ninety years, after having served
his town as justice of the peace for years, and acting for a time as their
representative in the Legislature. Luther R. HUBBELL and his family are
the only descendants of David now in Charlotte.
Daniel HORSFORD, who in early days carried mail on horseback from
Burlington to Vergennes on the old East road, was born in Canaan, Conn.,
October 13, 1748, married Hannah DAY, of Colchester, Conn., on the 9th
of November, 1780, and came to Charlotte in the spring of 1784, locating
McNEIL's Ferry. After being several times dispossessed by reason of a defective
title, he removed to the eastern part of the town, where he died at the
age of eighty-eight years. He was a surveyor by profession, and united
his duties in that occupation with those of the successful farmer. The
compass used by him is still kept by his grandson, Myron H. HOSFORD. Of
his family of ten children, only three remained in Charlotte, viz., Flavia,
wife of Gideon and mother of Charles D. PRINDLE, Oran, born here January
30, 1791, and now represented by his son, Myron H. HOSFORD; and Sodema,
who married Benjamin SIMONS and located in the western part of the town,
where she died early, leaving no children. A sister of Daniel HORSFORD
(as he spelled his name) became the wife of Joshua ISHAM, of Shelburne.
Ephraim WOOSTER, the first settler on the farm now owned by Henry
McNEIL, came to Charlotte in 1785 from Litchfield, Conn. He had three children,
Lyman, Elinor, and Fanny, of whom the first-named was naturally the most
intimately associated with the public interests of the town. He succeeded
to the home farm of his father, and while he lived carried on the farm,
and at intermittent periods kept a tavern. He participated in the battle
of Plattsburgh in the capacity of adjutant. Of his three sons and two daughters,
none remained in town, and the name is now represented only by Charles
S. WOOSTER, grandson of Lyman, who lives with his aunt, Mrs. SHERMAN.
John PALMER was born in Tolland, Conn., on the 22d of June, 1751,
married Ruth CHAPMAN, and came to Charlotte in 1786, settling on the place
now owned by Mrs. Ruth HUBBELL. The old red house which he built about
100 years ago is still in a good state of preservation. He owned all the
land comprised within the present farms of Mrs. HUBBELL, A. C. PALMER and
O. C. PALMER, on which he settled his sons. Of his six children, only three,
Mrs. HUBBELL, A. C. PALMER and Mrs. REED, who now lives with her brother,
are now in Charlotte.
Asa NARRAMORE came here from Connecticut in 1786, worked the first
season on a farm in Hinesburg, and in the fall purchased land now including
parts of the farms of George JACKMAN and John PETERSON. Here he built a
log house, and after making a clearing returned for the winter to Connecticut,
where he married, and in the spring came back to this place. He remained
on this farm after that until his death at the age of ninety years. Of
his nine children only one is now living, Mrs. Emeline SEE, of Williston.
Asa NARRAMORE was a soldier of the Revolution, and was carried prisoner
to Canada by the Indians, his daily allowance being a small piece of raw
horse flesh, and a few bulbous roots dug on the way. He afterwards received
Abel LEAVENWORTH was born at Woodbury, Conn., January 30, 1765,
and became an early settler in the northeastern part of the town, on the
farm now occupied by Charles REYNOLDS. He erected a grist-mill on La Plotte
River, the stones being wrought out by his brother Gideon, from flint rocks
found in this town. The mill and dam were after a few years swept away
by a freshet, and the stones were purchased by General Nathan LEAVENWORTH,
who used them in a mill which he built on Lewis Brook, in the southern
part of the town. After the loss of his mill Abel sold his farm and carried
on the occupation of a carpenter and joiner, at which he was a skillful
workman. He went from Charlotte to New Haven, Vt., and thence to Middlebury,
where he died on the 25th of January, 1813, while engaged in building a
large mill. His widow survived him more than forty years, and finally died
in Charlotte. Abel LEAVENWORTH, jr., was born in Charlotte on the 21st
of November, 1800, married Anna, daughter of Amos HICKOK, of Cooperstown,
N. Y. After several removals he repurchased the old homestead, where he
resided until his death, May 3, 1879. He had six daughters and three sons,
only one of the latter surviving infancy. This son, Abel E., became a prominent
educator in the State, and is now principal of the Normal School at Castleton.
Dorman LEAVENWORTH, a brother of the elder Abel, reached Charlotte in the
summer of 1808, and for a time operated the mill before owned by his brother,
after which he began farming and continued that business until 1839. He
died here at the home of his son, Burke, on the 31st of May, 1861. Henry
C. LEAVENWORTH and Mrs. Joseph S. SHAW, now living in town, are his grandchildren.
Michael READ was born in 1769, and came to Charlotte at an early
date. The family are descended from honorable ancestors who have been traced
back to the time of the Norman conquest in England. Michael READ settled
at Baptist Four Corners, and raised a family of seven children, three of
whom, Amos, Orrin and Laura, settled here. The only representative of the
family now in Charlotte is Orrin P., son of Orrin, who resides at Baptist
Four Corners. Carlton W., another son of Orrin, resides in Addison, where
he is extensively engaged in stock raising.
Samuel PRINDLE was an early settler in the northeastern part of
the town, on the place now occupied by Mrs. Mary POOL. He had three children,
sons, one of whom died in early manhood, while the other two, Midas and
Benjamin, settled in Charlotte. The former was born in 1799, married Sarah
V. HIGBEE on the l0th of May, 1834, and located on the farm now owned by
his son, Henry W. He had three children, Mrs. A. C. PALMER, Henry W. PRINDLE
and Mrs. T. C. HILL, all still living here. Benjamin went to Iowa with
his family more than twenty years ago, where he died a few years later.
Reuben MARTIN came early to Charlotte from Massachusetts and settled
on Mutton Hill. He had a family of ten children, named Jonas, Zadock, Reuben,
Stratton, Stoddard, William, Leonard, Nathaniel, Sylvia and Pattie. While
at school they were sung by their playmates as follows:
Zadock, Reuben and Strait,
and William, Leonard and Nat,
All of these children attained maturity and some of them lived to
an advanced age. Sylvia is said to have been the first female child born
In 1788 James SQUIER came to Charlotte from Arlington, Vt., and
effected a settlement on the farm now owned and occupied by James S. MILLER.
He died at the advanced age of ninety-three years, having lived a life
that deserves to be emulated by all who knew him. The father of James,
it is said, came to Charlotte on a visit to his sons, Solomon and Abner,
was taken ill and died, and at his grave was placed the first headstone
erected in town. His illness was the occasion of the settlement of James,
who came to see him and was induced to buy his brother Abner's farm and
remain here. Of his four children, Abner, the only son, married Laura SHELDON
and settled on the homestead. He represented the town two terms in the
Legislature, and held, indeed, most of the important offices of trust in
town. He had two children -- a daughter who died at the age of sixteen
years, and a son, James, who now owns and occupies a farm opposite the
Colonel William WILLIAMS came here from Lanesboro, Mass., in 1788,
and began to clear the farm now occupied by his grandson, James W. WILLIAMS.
About 1806 he replaced his first rude log cabin by a substantial building,
which has been modernized and is now in a good state of preservation, and
is occupied by James W. WILLIAMS. Here Colonel WILLIAMS opened one of eight
taverns in Charlotte, and by his untiring energy and genial disposition
created a reputation which made his house an important station on the stage
route between Burlington and Troy. His military title was derived from
his position in the militia, his company being stationed on the frontier
between Vermont and Canada. He also commanded a regiment at the battle
of Plattsburgh. He was at the same time rough and hearty in manners, and
was what it is becoming fashionable and natural to call an Ethan ALLEN
type of man. He was killed by a fall from a sleigh-load of lumber, which
occurred while he was descending a steep hill in Hinesburg.
Preserved WHEELER came to Charlotte from Lanesboro, Mass., in 1790,
and located on the place now occupied by O. H. ALEXANDER, where he erected
a tannery, and for about seven years successfully operated the same. He
then sold the property to SHELDON, and removed to New Haven, Vt. SHELDON
continued the tanning and shoemaking business as late as about 1843, when
he relinquished it for farming. He was the father of nine children, eight
of whom attained maturity.
Elijah ALEXANDER was born of Quaker parentage, in Troy, N. H., on
the 24th of March, 1777, and in 1799 married Lydia STAPLES, of Danby, Vt.,
and settled on the farm in Charlotte, now owned by his youngest daughter,
Mrs. Lydia HICKS. From its original area of 100 acres, Mr. ALEXANDER in
a few years increased it to more than 300 acres. He died at the age of
seventy-seven years. He was an industrious, home-loving man, who was interested
in public affairs as a private citizen, but declined office.
Walter FERRISS, from Pawling, Duchess county, N. Y., came to Charlotte
in 1792, and located on the farm still known as the FERRISS homestead.
At first he confined his activities to the carrying on of his farm, but
towards the latter end of his life became a minister of the Universalist
persuasion and organized several societies in this vicinity. He died in
William NILES, a native of Lynn, Conn., immigrated to Charlotte
in 1792, when he was thirty-six years of age, and settled on the farm now
occupied by George E. PRINDLE. He was frequently called to the performance
of public duties, for which he had great aptitude by reason of his ability
and honesty. He afterwards moved to Monkton, where he owned a small farm
and kept a public house.
In the same year, 1792, Gideon PRINDLE, from New Milford, Conn.,
settled at Wing's Bay, and, being a tanner by trade, soon erected what
is said to have been the first tannery in Charlotte. He did not remain
long in this part of the town, however, but soon sold out and purchased
the place now owned by his grandson, Cyrus G. PRINGLE (as he spells his
name), the present botanist of the State of Vermont.
The farm now occupied by D. E. CLARK, in the northwestern part of
the town, was settled in 1793 by his grandfather, John CLARK, from Windsor,
Conn., who held his place until his death in 1827, at the age of seventy
Elijah POWELL came from Lanesboro, Mass., in 1793, and settled on
the farm now owned by Orrin P. READ, opposite Mr. READ's present residence.
POWELL became a thrifty farmer, accumulating, clearing and improving several
hundred acres of land. He was a public-spirited man, a liberal supporter
of the Baptist Church, and one of the principal builders of the first house
of worship erected in Charlotte by that denomination. He had nine children,
of whom all eventually left town except Reuben, father of Edgar S., the
present representative of the family in town. Reuben died in 1830, leaving
eleven children, only four of whom are now alive.
John THORP, a native of Ireland, arrived at Charlotte about 1795,
and at once opened the only general store between Vergennes and Burlington.
Besides being a successful merchant here, he shipped pine and oak lumber
extenively to Quebec by way of the lake. He died at the meridian of his
business prosperity in 1799, aged forty-three years. George THORP, his
cousin, soon after came to Charlotte for the purpose of settling his estate,
as executor, after doing which he married the widow and continued the business
a few years. He thereafter devoted his attention to cultivating the farm
which his cousin had settled, and remained there until his death, at the
age of eighty-six years. His children were George, jr., John G. and Henry.
The former married Miss BULL, of Ferrisburgh, and located on the farm now
owned by his sons Harley and Henry. John G. married early, remained with
his father, and now occupies the old homestead in company with his son
John H. Henry, the other son of George, now lives in town and has three
sons -- Ervin H., editor of the Middlebury “Register,” Herbert C., on his
father's farm, and Emerson A., in Shelburne.
William PEASE came from Lanesboro, Mass., in 1796, and located on
the place now owned and occupied by Charles WOOSTER. He was a blacksmith
by trade, and though he carried on this business he also attended to his
farm, which he increased from the extremely humble beginning of four acres
to 150 acres. None of his eight children is now in town. Two brothers of
William, named Elijah and George, came to Charlotte in 1797, when the latter
was eleven years old, and of their brother learned his trade. George eventually
settled at the foot of Pease Mountain, where he carried on a farm. George
remained with William until he was of age, when he married and settled
in the southern part of the town. His health failing, he abandoned his
trade, and for a time kept a tavern in Ferrisburgh, and conducted a farm
in connection with it. He finally moved back to this town, on the farm
now occupied by his grandson, Russell. He died in 1858, leaving two sons
and a daughter.
Caleb BARTON came to Charlotte in 1796 from Lanesboro, Mass., and
located on the place now occupied by Laura BARTON. Joseph BARTON removed
in the early part of this century to Baptist Four Corners, where he kept
a public house for years. He died on June 7, 1865, aged seventy-seven years,
leaving four children.
It has already been noticed, undoubtedly, that most of the early
settlers came from Lanesboro, Mass. Gad ROOT was another emigrant from
that place, and came here in 1798 and settled at Baptist Four Corners,
where he carried on the business of tanning, currying and shoemaking. He
died on October 19, 1843, aged sixty-six years. A few years after his arrival
in Charlotte he removed to Madrid, N. Y., where he remained a short time
and then returned to Charlotte, about one and a half miles west of Baptist
Four Corners. He was remarkable for his charity and piety, and was for
a long time deacon of the Congregational Church. His eldest son, Noble,
born in June, 1800, became a prominent man in town, and died in 1872, leaving
two sons, George L. and Henry C., who now occupy his estate. Dorwin, the
second son of Gad, born on June 21, 1809, settled where his widow and family
now live. Loomis, his youngest brother, was born in 1815, and resided on
the homestead until his death in 1886.
Of other early settlers who are worthy of particular mention because
of their intimate associations with the best interests of the town, and
other prominent men in the county, the following may be said:
Dr. Jonas FAY was a resident of this town several years, though
he is generally known as a citizen of Bennington. Ezra MEECH, mentioned
at greater length in the history of Shelburne, resided here a number of
years, and twice represented Charlotte in the Legislature. David A. SMALLEY,
father of Bradley B. SMALLEY, now collector of the port for the district
of Vermont, at Burlington, spent several of his boyhood years here.
The first Methodist in town was Major Jonathan BRECKENRIDGE, from
Bennington. He was the leader of the first class, a local preacher, and
one of the pillars of the church as long as he lived. He was, furthermore,
an esteemed and prominent citizen. He lived in the western part of the
town, near the lake, on the farm now owned by Samuel WHALLEY.
Joseph HOAG, a leading member and a preacher of the Society of Friends,
came here early from Duchess county, N. Y., and located on a farm near
the southeastern corner of the town, he traveled extensively on preaching
tours in Canada, Nova Scotia and nearly every State in the Union. He was
the seer of the remarkable vision in which the dissensions afterwards caused
by slavery in church and state were so vividly foreshadowed. Nearly all
of his children were preachers among the Friends. He died on the 21st of
November, 1846, aged eighty-four years.
General Hezekiah BARNES, as well as his father and two brothers,
was prominent among the early settlers; for many years lived by the spring
near the center of the town, and built the structure now used as a store
by SWAIN & WILLIAMS, in which he kept a tavern that was well known
throughout the State. He was major-general of militia, and assistant judge
of the County Court. He died of the epidemic of 1813. His political rival,
Nathaniel, son of Abel Newell, who was also judge of the County Court,
was the only man who ever represented the town a greater number of years
than General BARNES.
John A. KASSON, one of the most distinguished men that this town
has produced, was graduated at the University of Vermont in 1842; practiced
law for a time in New Bedford, Mass., and afterwards removed to Iowa, where
he soon attained great prominence in politics, and is known for his eminent
services in Congress. His political career began in 1860, when he was a
member of the Chicago Convention which nominated Abraham Lincoln. His boyhood
years were passed in the house now occupied by Luther HUBBELL.
Eliphal GILLETTE was one of the earliest settlers in town. He was
born in New Milford, Conn., in 1747, and came to Charlotte as early as
1790, and soon accumulated about Boo acres of land north of Baptist Four
Corners. He died in 1810. Before his immigration to Charlotte he was a
sea-faring man, and married his first wife in Calcutta. He then became
a merchant in New Milford. When he came here he sent his wife and family
and mother ahead, who came by marked trees, and preceded him by several
weeks. On his arrival he found that they had died of small-pox. Not long
after this he married Nancy CURTIS, who became the mother of Ammi GILLETTE,
the source of much of the writer's information in regard to this town.
Ammi GILLETTE was born on the farm now owned by Benjamin BEERS, on the
1st of December, 1801, and married Dorotha MEEKER on the 8th of July, 1823,
who died September 22, 1885. Mrs. N. C. BUSH, postmistress of Charlotte,
is his daughter.
Among those who can hardly be called early settlers, but who have
been long prominent in the affairs of the town, may be mentioned David
COOK, who came to Charlotte from Connecticut in 1807, and first settled
where Richard WHALLEY now lives. He afterwards owned the place now owned
by his son, Charles B. COOK, in the western part of the town. David COOK
held most of the town offices. He died in 1857, aged seventy-six years.
Charles B. COOK represented the town in 1853 and 1854.
Leverett SHERMAN came from Connecticut in 1808, and learned the
carpenter's trade of his brother-in-law, Johnson FOOTE. He also purchased
of FOOTE the farm now occupied by his son, Alfred W. SHERMAN, in the eastern
part of the town. Leverett SHERMAN was employed by the government during
the War of I812-15 to aid in the construction of barracks at Plattsburgh.
His brother, William E., came here in 1811, and settled on the farm now
owned by his son, John H., where he died June 15, 1859.
William HIGBEE came here from Ferrisburgh in 1819, and located on
the farm now occupied by O. C. PALMER. The only representative of the family
now in town is W. Wallace HIGBEE, grandson of William and son of Peter
V. HIGBEE. Mr. HIGBEE is town clerk and justice of the peace.
Thomas WHALLEY came from Ferrisburgh in 1837, and located on the
farm now occupied by his grandson. R. G. WHALLEY. His two surviving children
in town are Jonathan and Samuel. Thomas died at the age of eighty-nine
John QUINLAN came to Charlotte in 1844, and began his career in
town by chopping wood at twenty-five cents a cord. He is now an extensive
landholder here, and has for years been prominent in the public affairs
of the town.
The following list contains the names of nearly all the freemen
in Charlotte in 1800, and was obtained from the town records:
Colonel Asa BARNES, Captain John HILL, David HORSFORD, Rev. Abel
NEWELL, Isaac COGGSWELL, Thaddeus HURLBURT, Reuben MARTIN, Amos CATLIN,
Jonathan SAWYER, Elijah WOOLCOT, Reuben ROWLEY, John THORP, Hezekiah BARNES,
Asa BARNES, jr., Dr. Daniel Hough (who lived below the burying-ground,
where A. N. BARBER now owns), Captain John McNEIL, Isaac RAXFORD, Fletcher
PERKINS, Samuel CUMMINGS, Charles GRANT, Samuel SCOVIL, Samuel SCOVIL,
jr., Abner SQUIER, Charles McNEIL, William REED, Jedediah CUMMINGS, Ezra
DORMAN, Abel BLANCHARD, Daniel BARNES, Erazmus TOWNER, Solomon SQUIER,
Moses YALE, Ephraim WOOSTER, Asahel STRONG, Fisk BARTLETT, Heber SQUIER,
Zalmar HURLBURT, Isaiah HURLBURT, Elijah KEELER, Darius TUPPER, Captain
David HORSFORD, Jabez BROOK, Captain Samuel HURLBURT, Michael ABBOTT, Nathan
MARBLE, David RICH, Abiram HURLBURT, Lieutenant Ebenezer HOVEY, Jonathan
ATWOOD, Salmon ROOT, William WOOD, Nathan POWELL, John PENFIELD, Samuel
PENFIELD, John NEWELL, Samuel BEACH, Nathaniel MARTIN, Thomas CANFIELD,
Calvin HINMAN, Benjamin McNEIL, William PEASE, Joseph BARNES, Andrew BARTON,
Eliphal GILLETTE, Jeremiah RUNNALS (REYNOLDS), James OLIN, Isaac FOOT,
Elisha NEWELL, Jared LYMAN, Gad LYMAN, Patrick BRISBY, Thomas BURT, Homer
TOWNER, Samuel HADLOCK, and Zenas CLARK.
above list the writer has generally followed the spelling of the record,
except in cases in which his personal information has enabled him to make
OF THE TOWN
The settlement of Charlotte progressed so rapidly that it was organized
on the 13th of March, 1787, and when the first complete census of the State
was taken, after its admission into the Union in 1791, this town contained
635 inhabitants-the most populous town, not only in Chittenden county,
but also in the north half of the State, now embraced in the eight northern
counties. Daniel HORSFORD was chosen moderator of the first meeting; John
McNEIL was chosen town clerk; Asa BARNES, John McNEIL, John HILL, James
HILL, and Isaac COGGSWELL were chosen selectmen; Reuben ROWLEY and Samuel
SCOVIL, constables; John HILL, James HILL, and Dr. Daniel HOUGH, listers;
and Ebenezer HOVEY, leather sealer.
The meeting was then adjourned to the 27th of the same month at
the house of Hezekiah BARNES, when Reuben MARTIN and Solomin SQUIER were
elected tythingmen; Elijah WOOLCOT, Dr. HOUGH, Isaac, COGGSWELL, Samuel
SCOVIL and Hezekiah BARNES, surveyors of highways; and John HILL, sealer
of weights and measures. At the same meeting it was voted "That Captain
HILL, Colonel BARNS, Captain McNEILE, Samuel SCOVIL, Hezekiah BARNS, David
HUBELL, James HILL, Dr. HOUGH, Reuben MARTIN, Ebenezer HOVEY, Jabez BROOKS,
and Jonathan ATWOOD shall be put in the Box for Jurymen."
Another important measure adopted was that hogs should be confined.
At the first settlement of the town bears, deer and other wild animals
were common. Bucks were often seen crossing the fields. Beavers were numerous,
and left several dams which for years remained as monuments of their wonderful
mechanical skill. The annoyances caused by these several descriptions of
beasts were only a part of the hardships to which the settlers were subjected.
For many years the southwestern part of the town was very unwholesome,
fever and ague and bilious fever being common. Typhus fever first made
its appearance about 1803, and in many cases was out of the reach of physicians.
The epidemic of 1813 also raged fearfully in this town, carrying off about
seventy of the inhabitants, among whom were Rev. Abel NEWELL, Hezekiah
BARNES and Dr. James DOWNER.
The superior adaptation of the town to agricultural purposes was
one cause of its rapid settlement. The almost exclusive devotion of the
people to this pursuit accounts for the fact that the population remained
about stationary for over sixty years. The early settlers were speedily
remunerated for their labors; wealth flowed in upon them, and comfortable
homes rapidly arose. As early as 1806 the grand list was $31,961. Only
ten towns in the State surpassed this. Even Burlington did not equal it
in its grand list until 1824.
During the War of 1812-15, and previous, the military spirit was
rife in Charlotte. It was probably not surpassed, if equaled, by any town
in the State. There were no less than five military companies in the town,
viz: two of infantry, one of light infantry, one of cavalry and one of
artillery. The last two, however, were partly made up of men from other
towns, as Hinesburg and Shelburne. In the year 1810 the citizens whose
names are subjoined held the offices indicated, viz: Hezekiah BARNES, major-general;
John NEWELL, brigadier-general; Oliver HUBBELL, quartermaster-sergeant;
Nathaniel NEWELL, captain of cavalry; Sheldon WHEELER, captain; Tim READ
and William PEASE, lieutenants; and Peter WHEELER, ensign of artillery.
Ithiel STONE, captain; David H. GRISWOLD, lieutenant; and Israel B. PERRY,
ensign of light infantry. Lyman YALE, captain; Caleb CHAPELL, lieutenant;
and Andrew BARTON, ensign of infantry, Co. 2. Joseph BARNES, captain; Hez.
BARNES, jr., lieutenant; and Elijah GRAY, ensign of infantry, Co. 6. What
other town in the State could show such an array? The people of Charlotte
evidently believed in the motto "In time of peace prepare for war."
As might be expected from its situation and the character of its
inhabitants, this town had some connection with the War of 1812-15. Teams
were impressed to carry men and military stores from Plattsburgh to Sackett's
Harbor, detachments of militia were repeatedly ordered to Burlington and
further north; large numbers volunteered to withstand the advancing British
army in September, 1814, and were present at the battle of Plattsburgh,
and the whole town was thrown into a fever of excitement by the passage
of the British flotilla up the lake to attack Fort Cassin at the mouth
of Otter Creek As they passed McNEIL's, Charles McNEIL with his family
and many other spectators were on the high bank in front of Mr. McNEIL's
house. One of the small vessels which was inside of Sloop Island and within
hailing distance of the shore, was observed to be making preparations to
fire. Mr. McNEIL called to the captain and asked if he was about to fire
upon unarmed and defenseless people, to which question no attention was
paid. McNEIL then directed his family and neighbors to lie down, which
they did. A charge consisting of twelve two-pound balls was fired. The
height of the bank and the proximity of the vessel to the shore compelled
the British gunner to aim so high as to carry the balls over McNEIL's house,
although they grazed the top of the bank and cut off a small poplar over
the heads of the prostrate spectators. The balls were found in his meadow
at the next haying. Two other charges were fired, one of which went through
his horse barn. The drunken commander being put under arrest by the commander
of the flotilla, excused his brutal assault upon women and children on
the pretence that he saw soldiers in uniform on the bank. On the return
from Fort Cassin several hundred people were collected on Thompson's Point.
One brave Yankee, Wilson WILLIAMS, had a gun with which he attacked the
British fleet. A few charges of shot were returned, which rattled among
the trees over the heads of the scared multitude, which very speedily dispersed.
The following is a list -- probably incomplete -- of the Revolutionary
soldiers who became residents of the town, namely: David HUBBELL, Joseph
SIMONDS, Lamberton CLARK, Asa NARAMORE, Elisha PULFORD, Samuel ANDREWS,
Ezra WORMWOOD, Skiff MORGAN, Samuel HADLOCK, Israel SHELDON, Phineas LAKE,
Levi COGGSWELL, James HILL, Newton RUSSELL and Daniel HOSFORD. The following
from Charlotte enlisted in the War of 1812-I5: Holmes HOYT, Robert COCKLE,
Abraham SMITH, Abel GIBBS and Uriah HIGGINS. Rollin BARTON, who enlisted
in the Burlington company of the Second Vermont Regiment, was the first
citizen of the town who volunteered for the suppression of the great proslavery
rebellion of 1861.
The history of the villages in Charlotte must necessarily be brief,
for since the beginning the agricultural pursuits of the inhabitants have
kept them for the most part separated from each other too widely for village
life. In pursuance of the time-honored custom of New England towns, the
proprietors of Charlotte included in the duties of the surveyors that of
"setting a stake" in the center of the town, where were to be built the
meeting-houses and other public buildings, and where it was expected that
the store and tavern should be opened for the equal convenience of all
the inhabitants. Here too, it is probable, stood the ancient sign-post,
whipping-post and stocks. But as the town became settled and lines of communication
were established with the neighboring towns, it was found convenient and
profitable for some enterprising men to open taverns in other parts, and
these were naturally followed by stores. In towns which contain water privileges
the most thriving village generally sprang up about the mills erected at
the "falls," regardless of the predilections of the proprietors for the
geographical center of the town.
The existence of the "Center" and of Charlotte village is explained,
the former in the above paragraph, and the latter by the proximity of the
railroad station. But the only feasible explanation of the existence of
"Baptist Four Corners," in the east part of the town, is found in the fact
that the ridge of hills that divides the town rendered the center so difficult
of access to the residents in that vicinity, that an independent settlement
became early a matter of necessity, which was the more agreeable by reason
of the mutual jealousies and little feuds formerly existing between the
two sections. This village was relatively larger fifty years ago than it
now is. Just back of the present Baptist Church, and a little to the north,
stood the old tannery of Nathaniel NEWELL, operated for him some years
by Shurick ELDRED. Reuben MARTIN's tannery also stood in this village just
northwest of the corner made by the intersection of the north and south
road with that which leads to the west part of the town. For several years
(about 1830) William O. BAKER kept a tavern in the building now occupied
by Curtis VAN VLIET. Many of the most prominent men of the town in early
days lived in this neighborhood.
Among the present business interests the following may be mentioned
as the most prominent. Indeed, the chief industry has always, as has been
suggested, been agricultural.
Alanson EDGERTON & Sons' cider-mill, about a mile east of the
station, has for many years supplied the people in this vicinity with cider,
and has done considerable shipping. It is operated by horse power, and
turns out about twenty barrels of cider per day. Wilber FIELD's hay barn
and hay press, at the station, receives and presses not less than 700 tons
Winfield SCOTT's saw and grist-mill, in the southeastern part of
the town, on Lewis Creek, has been running for eight or ten years very
successfully, operating one run of stones, and sawing about 200,000 feet
of lumber per annum. Mr. SCOTT also has a butter-tub factory in connection
with his mill.
H.D. ALEXANDER's vineyard and fruit farm, located on a pleasant
slope a little west of the center of the town, has in bearing condition
several thousand choice vines, embracing :host of the valuable varieties,
and a large quantity of fine raspberry and strawberry plants. His fruit
grounds cover an area of more than eight acres, enclosed by a beautiful
hedge of arborvitae.
There are three stores in town-one at the Center, conducted by SWAIN
& WILLIAMS. This partnership was formed in the spring of 1885, though
Mr. SWAIN has been in the mercantile business in town since 1875. They
now carry a stock worth about $7,000. The store which they occupy was used
for mercantile purposes during the war, by E. ALEXANDER, who kept this
store and one at each of the other villages. S. E. RUSSELL, who now has
a store at Charlotte village and at Baptist Four Corners, came to this
town from Burlington in 1878, and succeeded J. W. SWAIN in the occupation
of the brick store at Charlotte. He carries a stock of about $6,000 at
this place. This building was erected more than thirty years ago by Dr.
Luther STONE, and was first occupied as a store by Ammi STONE and William
WRIGHT. Mr. RUSSELL also opened a store at Baptist Four Corners in the
spring of 1883, succeeding George A. FOOTE. His stock in that store is
valued at about $2,500. J. R. TAGGART conducts Mr. RUSSELL's business at
Until about ten years ago there were but two offices in town, one
at the Center, known as Charlotte, and the other at the station, called
West Charlotte. The office at the Center was then removed to Baptist Four
Corners and given the name of East Charlotte, while the office at the station
was changed in name to Charlotte. It is not known exactly when a post-office
was first established in town, but it was certainly before the beginning
of the present century. The first postmaster that can be remembered was
W. BARNES, who received the appointment before 1804. He was probably followed
by Hezekiah BARNES, who retained the office until about 1825. His successors
until the establishment of another office have been about as follows: 1826-28,
Abel LOVELY; 1829-33, NOBLE LOVELY; 1834-38, William NOBLE; 1839-43, C.
B. MARTIN; 1844-48, Samuel H. BARNES; 1849-54, A. H. LYON; 1855-59, Caleb
E. BARTON; 1860-61, John QUINLAN; 1862-74, E. ALEXANDER. It was during
this period that West Charlotte post-office was established. Mr. ALEXANDER's
successor at the Center was C. C. TORREY, the last postmaster at this place.
East Charlotte office was then established, with E. HOSFORD as the first
incumbent. In 1879 he was succeeded by J. S. SHAW, who retained the position
until January 20, 1886, when Anna J. QUINLAN was appointed. J. R. TAGGART
acts as her assistant. The first postmaster at West Charlotte after Mr.
ALEXANDER was L. R. HUBBELL, who was followed in the fall of 1875 by Mrs.
Nancy POPE. She still holds the office under the name of Mrs. Nancy C.
There is no lawyer now in Charlotte. The only physician, Dr. W.
H. H. VARNEY, at East Charlotte, was born in this town on the 21st of August,
1839. He attended lectures for a time at the medical department of the
University of Vermont, and was graduated from the Berkshire Medical College,
Litchfield county, Mass., in November, 1862. On the 3d of the next month
he began to practice in East Charlotte. On the 3d of March, 1863, he married
Augusta C. BALL, of Charlotte, but a native of Ferrisburgh. They have had
four children, of whom three, Minnette, aged twenty-two years, Anna E.,
aged fourteen years, and May P., aged seven years, are now living. Dr.
Varney is the son of Alpheus and Phila (PALMER) VARNEY. His father came
to Charlotte about 1810, and lived here until 1874, when he died at the
age of seventy-five years.
OFFICERS OF CHARLOTTE
Following is a list of the town officers of Charlotte, elected at
the March meeting for 1886: W. W. HIGBEE, town clerk; Solomon A. WILLIAMS,
O. P. READ, O. E. STONE, selectmen; Carlisle Lewis, treasurer; Ira B. WICKER,
constable and collector; John QUINLAN, overseer of the poor; George D.
JACKMAN, B. F. SMITH, George A. FOOTE, listers; J. P. KEHOE, E. S. PEASE,
Dr. W. H. H. VARNEY, auditors; John H. THORP, trustee of public money;
W. H. DODGE, Frank B. SMITH, George A. CLARK, fence viewers; J. S. SHAW,
H. W. PRINDLE, grand jurors; E. H. CONVERSE, inspector of leather; W. C.
SCOTT, inspector of wood and shingles; John H. THORP, superintendent of
Thompson's Point; Dean HOSFORD, town agent; and Dr. W. H. H. VARNEY, superintendent
In 1791 the town was divided into nine school districts. As the
population increased it became necessary to enlarge the number of districts,
and by 1816 we find the town divided into eleven districts, the total number
of pupils attending school at that time being 717. In 1825 the number of
attending pupils had diminished to 585, of whom six were "set off" to the
schools in Shelburne. Charlotte Female Seminary commenced May 1, 1835,
although the edifice was not built until the following year. Its principal
founder was Dr. Luther STONE. In 1840 it was transferred to the Methodist
Episcopal Society. After a successful career of a few years it yielded
to the pressure of its unfavorable location. A select school has, however,
been kept in it nearly every year since the seminary was discontinued.
The residents of Baptist Four Corners erected a neat little lyceum
hall in 1869, and have maintained a society for the purpose of mutual drilling
in debates, and for the better attainment of literary culture, etc.
One of the first duties of the pioneers in the settlement of Charlotte
was the preparation of a place where they could meet together for public
worship. On the 17th of March, 1787, Charles GRANT, Daniel HOSFORD, Ebenezer
HOVEY, Asa BARNES, Isaac COGGSWELL, and David HUBBELL were chosen a committee
to "set a stake for the meeting-house," and were empowered to purchase
five acres of land for the site thereof. Nothing more was effected, however,
for several years, though on the 15th of July, 1789, the town voted to
hire Rev. M. REED to preach the Gospel until the following September 1st.
On the 17th of April, 1791, it was voted that the town would not then build
the meeting-house, though preparations were begun, and the boards were
ordered to be delivered "at or near the sign-post."
The first church organized in town was the Congregational, which
dates its organization to the 3d of January, 1792, at which time it consisted
of four members, John HILL, Moses YALE, Daniel HORSFORD, jr., and Joseph
SIMONDS. Daniel HORSFORD, jr., was the first clerk. Rev. D. O. GILLETT
was the first pastor, and remained until 1799, when he was dismissed and
soon after deposed from the ministry. During his ministry a good degree
of religious prosperity was enjoyed, and there were numerous accessions
to the church.
From this time, for about eight years, the church was destitute
of a pastor and dwindled in numbers, so that at the opening of the year
1807 it was reduced to eleven members. During this year a revival of religion
was enjoyed, and forty were united with the church. Late in this year Truman
BALDWIN was installed pastor and continued in that office until March 21,
1815, when he was dismissed. In 1816 Rev. Dr. AUSTIN, president of the
Vermont University, supplied the pulpit. During the two and one-half years
in which there was no settled pastor, fifty-four persons were received
into the church. On the 15th of October, 1817, Rev. Calvin YALE was ordained
pastor, and was dismissed March 5, 1833. During the winter of 1833-34 Rev.
F. B. REED was with the church, as stated supply.
Rev. William EATON was installed pastor September 25, 1834, and
dismissed January 12, 1837.
Rev. E. W. GOODMAN was installed pastor July 12, 1837, and dismissed
October 15, 1845.
Rev. Joel S. BINGHAM was ordained and installed pastor October 21,
1846, and dismissed November 18, 1851.
Rev. C. M. SEATON supplied the church from December 21, 1851, to
July 6, 1854, at which time he was installed pastor and so continued until
January 29, 1868, when he was dismissed.
Rev. Charles W. CLARK was acting pastor from early in the year 1869
until 1871. During this time there were numerous accessions to the church.
Rev. C. C. TORREY was installed pastor September 7, 1871, and continued
in that relation until September, 1878.
Rev. H. B. PUTNAM became acting pastor on the first Sunday in May,
The present pastor, Rev. A. W. WILD, succeeded Mr. PUTNAM in July,
The first church edifice was a wooden structure erected in 1798,
which gave place to the present brick building in 1848. It will accommodate
350 persons. The present membership of the church is 156, and the average
attendance at Sabbath-school is about eighty. The present officers of the
church are Henry McNEIL and Joseph S. SHAW, deacons; Henry W. PRINDIE,
clerk; W. W. HIGBEE, chorister of the choir; and the pastor, superintendent
of the Sabbath-school.
Methodist Episcopal Church.-The first Methodist society in Western
Vermont was formed in 1798. Probably the Methodist itinerants, Lorenzo
DOW and Joseph MITCHELL, commenced preaching in Charlotte the same year.
No society, however, was formed for several years. Major Jonathan BRECKENRIDGE
was the first resident Methodist, and for half a century was a main pillar
in the church. He was converted in the summer of 1801, and the same year
or the next the first society was formed by Rev. Ebenezer WASHBURNE, of
which Major BRECKENRIDGE was appointed leader. The first members were Major
BRECKENRIDGE and his wife, Joseph SIMONDS and his wife, and Mrs. MARBLE.
Charlotte then belonged to Vergennes circuit, embracing the north half
of Addison county and the south half of Chittenden. In 18o8 its name was
changed from Vergennes to Charlotte circuit. In 1827 Charlotte with Shelburne
and North Ferrisburgh became a separate circuit. Since 1838 Charlotte has
been a station, and unfortunately the Methodist churches in Charlotte and
the adjacent towns are so located that nearly half the Methodists living
in Charlotte belong to churches in other towns.
In 1819 Charlotte became the residence of the presiding elder of
Champlain district. John B. STRATTON, Buel GOODSELL, Lewis PEASE and Tobias
SPICER, D. D., resided here in succession as presiding elders until the
district parsonage was burnt, in 1830.
Until 1801 the circuit probably embraced all of Western Vermont.
In 1801 Brandon circuit was set off from it. It was at first called Vergennes
circuit, but in 1808 it was called Charlotte, a name which has ever since
maintained its place in the lists of the circuits and stations of the church.
The first church edifice was of wood, commenced in 1819 and completed
in 1823. In 1837 it was burnt down with the parsonage, which stood on the
same ground where the district parsonage was burnt seven years before.
The present brick church was built in 1840.
The present pastor, Rev. M. A. WICKER, came to Charlotte from Vergennes
in 1883. For several years before his coming the church was without a pastor,
the last one before Mr. Wicker being Rev. George HUGHES. The church property
is now valued at about $3,000. The church has a membership of about thirty,
while Mr. WICKER has organized a class of sixteen in the east part of the
The Baptist Church.- Elder Ephraim SAWYER was doubtless the first
Baptist minister who ever preached in the town. The church was organized
May 6, 1807, under the supervision of a council, called by the Baptist
Church of Monkton, by the request of certain members of said church living
in Charlotte, who were dismissed by mutual consent to form said church.
It consisted of nineteen members, who adopted articles of faith and covenant,
as fellowshiped by the Baptists in those days. During the same season nineteen
more were added by baptism and by letter. The ensuing October this church
united with the Vermont Baptists, which convened at Bridport, Messrs. GIBBS
and HOSFORD being delegates, A. GIBBS its first deacon, and U. PALMER clerk.
Elder Nathan DANA was settled as pastor in 1808; membership this year 47.
The first church edifice was erected in 1808, the second and present one
in 1840. Repairs and improvements were made in 1856 to the amount of $700.
The church is of brick.
Rev. R. NOTT, the present pastor, came three years ago, succeeding
Rev. Charles A. VOTEY. The present officers of the church are Byron R.
ENO, clerk; J. H. SHERMAN, A. C. PALMER, George D. JACKMAN and J. R. TAGGART,
deacons; George D. JACKMAN, treasurer; Byron R. ENO, Sabbath-school superintendent.
The membership of the church is about fifty, and the average attendance
at Sabbath-school is about thirty-five.
of Chittenden County, Vermont
and Biographical Sketches
of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers
By W. S. Rann, Syracuse, N. Y.
& Co., Publishers, 1886
by Karima Allison ~ 2004
section of Hamilton Child's "Gazetteer and Business Directory of
Chittenden County, Vt. For 1882-83."
List of Church Members of the Congregational Church, Charlotte, VT
of Charlotte, VT Home Page
Genealogy Resources, Charlotte Township, Chittenden County