OF THE TOWN OF
THE township of Colchester is bounded on the north by Milton, on
the east by Essex, on the south by the city of Burlington and town of South
Burlington, and on the west by Lake Champlain. The surface of the town
is generally rolling without any great elevations, although along the banks
of Winooski River there are long tracts of intervale land. On the lake
shore there are numbers of sharp bluffs. Along Winooski River the landscape
in places is grand, especially at the "High Bridge," about one-half of
a mile above the village of Winooski, where the swift current of the river
has cut through the solid rock ninety feet in depth and seventy in breadth,
leaving the rugged walls upon either side.
Mallet's Bay indents the township between the mouth of Winooski
River and Milton, covering some 3,040 acres. Here the shore, rising abruptly
on the one side, and the forest coming down to meet the water on the other,
are fair to see. Colchester Pond in the eastern part of the township is
three-fourths of a mile in length and one-half of a mile in width. Around
its outlet the nooks of the beaver are still to be seen. The Lamoille River
flows through the northwest corner of the town Milton and flows southwesterly
Brook rises in Essex and flows Sunderland Brook rises in Essex Winooski
River. These streams saw-mills along their sides, while immense pine timber.
Colchester produces in good quantities the grains and of Winooski
River are celebrated for the production of hay.
Colchester was one of the New Hampshire grants, and was chartered
June 7, 1763, to Edward Burling and sixty-six associates. Following are
the names of the grantees: Edward BURLING, John BURLING, Edward BURLING,
jr., John LAWRENCE, Effingham LAWRENCE, sr., Caleb LAWRENCE, Richard LAWRENCE,
William HAUXHURST, Peter TOWNSEND, Joseph HAUXHURST, Sampson HAUXHURST,
Daniel HAUXHURST, William FIELD, Peter DOBSON, Thomas DOBSON, jr., Daniel
LATHAM, John LATHAM, Thomas LATHAM, Daniel LATHAM, jr., David LATHAM, Lancaster
BURLING, Benjamin HILDRETH, Benjamin HILDRETH, jr., Theopolus ANTHONY,
Wm. VAN WYCK, Wm. KEESE, John BUTLER, Alexander Litch MILLER, Edward AGAR,
Phillip DOUGHTY, Francis PANTON, John BURLING, jr., Hugh RIDER, Richard
BURLING, Samuel BURLING, Geo. RICHEY, John Godsands MILLER, Theopolus BURLING,
Effingham LAWRENCE, Samuel BURLING, jr., Thomas DOBSON, John BOGERT, jr.,
James BOGERT, jr., John I. BOGERT, Nicholus I. BOGART, Cornelius I. BOGERT,
Peter J. BOGART, Henry J. BOGART, Edward BURLING, New York. Joseph LATHAM,
Joseph LATHAM, jr., John LATHAM, Peter BYVANCK, John CORNELL, Samuel MILLER,
Wm. MOTT, Samuel AVERILL, Charles McCREEDY, John McCREEDY, Captain Nehemiah
LOVEWELL, Captain Timothy BEEDLE, Hon. John TEMPLE, esq., Theodore ATKINSON,
esq., M. H. WENTWORTH, esq., Henry SHERBURNE, esq., Charles MARSH, esq.
At the first proprietors' meeting of which there is any record, held at
the house of Joshua STANTON, jr., the following officers were elected:
Zacheus PEASLEE, moderator; Benjamin BOARDMAN, proprietors' clerk; David
HINE, treasurer; Dennison DOWNING, collector. The clerk took the oath of
office before Elnathan KEYES, "J. P." The object of this meeting was to
organize and devise measures to drive away other parties called pitchers,
who laid claim to the lands, and had held meetings in 1775. The fourth
article in the warning of this meeting reads as follows: "To see if the
proprietors can and will remedy the injuries and complaints which have
arisen from the interference of pitches heretofore made, and take measures
to investigate the validity of said pitches, and appoint an agent or agents
to carry into effect, and likewise to ascertain the quantity of acres that
now appears to continue in joint interest in said town, and to order a
new and general survey of said town if thought proper." The following persons
were elected a committee for the purposes set forth in the article: Simeon
HINES, William MUNSON, Elnathan KEYES, Eli BAKER. Who these pitchers were,
and to what trouble the double claim to proprietorship led, will be best
understood by giving extracts from records which both parties kept. At
an adjourned meeting the committee reported: "That in the execution of
their duties as a committee for the proprietors they have demanded of Ira
ALLEN, who pretends to be the former clerk of the proprietors, all records
and papers relative to the propriety -- and that said ALLEN refused to
give any satisfaction or deliver any papers relative to said interest,
if any he had." The meetings of the pitchers were held in Salisbury, Conn.,
and the action they took will be seen from the records of these meetings."
Salisbury, March, 23, 1775. Then the proprietors of the township of Colchester
(a township lately granted under the great seal of the province of New
Hampshire now in the province of New York) met, according to a legal warning
in the Connecticut Currant, at the dwelling house of Captain Samuel MOORE,
innholder in Salisbury, in Litchfield county, and colony of Connecticut
in New England. 1st. Voted that Col. Thomas CHITTENDEN be moderator of
this meeting. 2nd. Voted that Ira ALLEN shall be proprietors' clerk for
this town. 3rd. Voted that this meeting be adjourned to the twenty-fourth
day of instant March at nine o'clock, to be held at this place. Test-Ira
ALLEN, pro. clerk." "March 24th, 1775. Then this meeting was opened according
to adjournment. Voted whereas Ethan ALLEN, Remember BAKER, Heman ALLEN,
Zimri ALLEN and Ira ALLEN known by the name of the. Onion River Company
who are proprietors in this township of Colchester on said river (a township
lately granted under the great seal of the province of Newhampshire now
in the province of Newyork) have expended large sums of money in cutting
a road from Castleton to said river, seventy miles through the woods and
clearing of encumberments from said lands, settling some part of those
lands, and keeping possession, which by us is viewed as a great advantage
towards the settlement of those lands, in general, especially the said
township of Colchester, and whereas the said Ethan ALLEN, Remember BAKER,
Heman ALLEN, Zimri ALLEN and Ira ALLEN have laid out some lot on said Onion
River in Colchester, therefore in consideration of this service done by
them and in consideration of their settlement of six families on said lots,
therefore-voted that said company have liberty to pitch and lay out fifteen
hundred acres in hundred acres lot."
In this contest between the two parties, both claiming to be proprietors,
the Onion River Company appears to have gained the day, numbers of the
other party and of the new settlers uniting with them, and to have prosecuted
the settlement of the town.
Ira ALLEN and his cousin, Remember BAKER, both members of the Onion
River Company, were the first persons to take possession of Colchester,
being on an exploring expedition up the Onion River. This was in the fall
of 1772. After exploring the country somewhat (BAKER bringing along his
family, which consisted of a wife and three children), for protection against
"Injins" and "Yorkers," the first thing they did was to build a fort. This
stood some six or eight rods east of the new bridge at Winooski village,
on the left bank of the river, close to the water. It was two stories high,
had thirty-two port-holes in the upper story, was built of hewn logs, and
called Fort Frederick. The same season they cut a road through to Castleton,
a distance of seventy miles. In 1774 the work of clearing the land began
in good earnest. Two clearings were made between Winooski village and the
present railroad bridge below, by Joseph FULLER and Henry COLVIN, and one
at Mallet's Bay by a man named MONTE. In 1775 farms were purchased in the
vicinity by Abel HULBURT, Abel BENEDICT and Captain Thomas DARWIN. From
1776 to 1783, the Revolution being in progress, Colchester was abandoned,
but in the latter year Ira ALLEN and most of the settlers returned. ALLEN
upon his return built the "upper dam," two saw-mills, a grist-mill, two
forges and a furnace. Bar iron, mill irons, forge-hammers and anchors were
manufactured and the place began to grow rapidly. A little later John M.
LANE, John LAW and Benjamin BOARDMAN bought farms and built houses on Colchester
Point, and a good part of the town was settled.
Ira ALLEN, who did more for Colchester than any other man, was born
at Cornwall, Conn., May 1, 1751, and received a good English education,
including surveying. Though he had but just turned twenty-one when he came
to Vermont, he was soon recognized as a leader of men. He managed the affairs
of Vermont in her darkest days, standing between the people of the State
and the Continental Congress; wrote a history of the State which was printed
in London in 1798; projected a canal from Lake Champlain to the St. Lawrence
River; resisted at all times the New York patentees; and effected the establishment
of the University of Vermont. He married Jerusha ENOS, daughter of General
Roger ENOS, and had three children, Zimri ENOS, Ira H. and Maria Juliet.
He resided during the later years of his life at Philadelphia, Pa., and
there he died January 7, 1814. ALLEN was the second representative of Colchester,
receiving the honor for six consecutive sessions of the Legislature; from
1786 to 1792. After his death his widow resided for a number of years at
the old "ALLEN house" in Winooski village, in which house the first county
court of Chittenden county was held in 1785.
Remember BAKER was born at Woodbury, Conn., about 1740, came to
Vermont in 1764, and was killed by Indians near St. Johns, P. Q., in 1775.
Like ALLEN he did much for the town and more for the State. He was cousin
to the ALLEN brothers and was with Ethan at the capture of Ticonderoga.
His life was a series of ups and downs. Upon coming to Vermont he built
and ran a grist-mill at Arlington, then was "off to the wars," where he
saw much hard fighting. BAKER proved in these times such a successful opponent
of New York that a reward of fifty pounds was offered for him, and one
John MONROE with a company of twelve or fifteen Yorkers attempted to take
him prisoner in 1772. Going to his house they broke down the door and acted
in an inhuman manner. One of Mrs. BAKER's arms was so injured that she
never recovered the use of it, and BAKER's right hand was nearly severed
at the wrist. He was put into a sleigh by his captors and started for Albany,
but was rescued by a band of Green Mountain Boys near the Hudson. BAKER
never forgot his treatment and was ever possessed of a kingly wrath towards
the Yorkers. His widow married Thomas BUTTERFIELD, the first representative
William MUNSON came to Colchester about 1790 from Dover, N. H.,
and at first was employed by Ira ALLEN in his saw-mill. He soon engaged
in the lumber business for himself, building several saw-mills. He became
one of the most wealthy and prominent men in the town. At one time he owned
more than half of the lots in Colchester; and was representative and town
clerk in 1806. He had a family of fourteen children, Lucy, Artemissa, Eliza,
William B., Sidney, George, Adeliza, Emeline, Francis, Caroline, Clarrissa,
John, Frances and Wallace. He died in 1830. William B. MUNSON now lives
at the Center, aged eighty-six years.
John LAW came to Colchester at an early day from New London, Conn.,
and settled on the Point. In 1793 he was a delegate to the State Convention
at Windsor, called to consider amendments to the constitution, and in 1802,
town representative. LAW was liberally educated, but eccentric and poor.
Joshua STANTON was one of the first settlers of Colchester and one
of the original organizers. He was three years chief judge of Chittenden
County Court, town representative from 1795 to 1800, and did much for the
University of Vermont by his counsel and means. He lived in the Penniman
Jabez PENNIMAN came to Colchester not far from 1800, and lived in
town more than thirty years. He was town clerk from 1817 to 1822, and town
representative in 1819 and 1820. He was also collector of customs for the
district of Vermont under President Jefferson. Besides these offices he
was for many years probate judge for Chittenden county. Judge PENNIMAN,
as he was called, married the widow of Ethan ALLEN, the ceremony taking
place at Westminster, Vt., October 28, 1793.
Heman ALLEN, son of Heber ALLEN, and nephew to Ethan and Ira, came
to Colchester from Poultney very early, being adopted by his uncle Ira
after the death of his father. He died in Highgate, Vt., in 1852, and is
buried in Green Mount Cemetery, Burlington. He was a public man, being
town clerk of Colchester from 1807 to 1817, town representative from 1812
to 1816, sheriff of Chittenden county in 1808-9, chief judge of Chittenden
County Court from 1811 to 1815, and United States minister to Chili under
John Quincy Adams.
Nathaniel COLLINS came from Connecticut to Burlington about one
hundred years ago; he lived there till 1824, when he removed to Colchester
Center, where he carried on the business of blacksmithing. He had thirteen
children, one of whom, Charles, now resides near the Center. Charles says
he remembers hearing his father say that when he first came to Vermont
the settlement of Winooski contained only two houses and one saw-mill.
Nathan BRYANT was an early settler in Colchester, where he died
at an advanced age. He was engaged in the lumber business most of his life.
He was a soldier in 1812. When MILLER preached in Vermont in 1843 BRYANT
became a convert, and people used to say "had got religion," because he
used his team better. His son Martin BRYANT now lives near the Center.
Benjamin BOARDMAN was one of the first to buy a farm at Colchester
Point. He came from Connecticut. At the first proprietors' meeting he was
chosen clerk. He married a Miss WEEKS from Winooski village. Mrs. B. B.
HINES, of Colchester Center, his daughter, is now ninety years of age,
but quite well preserved. He lived in the house that is now the Colchester
George BATES early settled in town. He married Mary HINE and died
in 1876, aged ninety-one years.
Paul CLAPP came in 1797 to Colchester from Orange, Vt. He lived
near Colchester Center. He was a soldier in 1812.
Seth CARY, another Connecticut man, settled in Colchester in 1800.
He was a farmer, and a soldier in 1812.
Ichabod BROWNELL kept for many years a tavern at Winooski village.
David FERRIN came to Colchester early, and resided about one mile
north of the Center, where B. B. HINES now lives. He died seventy years
ago. His son Cyrus always resided in town, and died some four years ago.
Both father and son were prominent Congregationalists.
Samuel AUSTIN, a Quaker, came from New Hampshire in 1790. He married
Rachel HAWKINS and had a family of six children, Abigail, Paul, Solomon,
Anna, Stephen, and William.
Ebenezer LYON was born at Canterbury, Conn., and came to Colchester
in 1798. He was twice married and had eleven children. He lived on the
farm now owned by W. D. FARNSWORTH.
Ebenezer JOHNSON settled early in Colchester, coming from New Hampshire;
he purchased one hundred acres of land for three dollars per acre. He had
one child, Ambrose, now deceased.
Isaac THOMPSON came here from Dover, N. H., when Colchester was
mostly a forest. He served in the War of 1812, and was present at the battle
of Plattsburgh. He had fourteen children, ten boys and four girls; Noah,
one of the sons, aged seventy-six years, now resides near Mallet's Bay.
He was all his life engaged in lumbering and farming.
Thomas GREENOUGH, a native of Boston, came at an early day to Milton,
where he resided for a short time, and then settled in Colchester. He died
about forty years ago. Three of his children are now living, Mrs. Noah
THOMPSON, of Colchester, Mrs. E. HODGE, of Burlington, and Stephen A. GREENOUGH,
of Michigan. Mr. GREENOUGH was a furrier.
Artemas CUSHMAN came early from Massachusetts to Colchester. He
had a family of twelve children, held many town offices, and lived to an
Captain MALLETT, as he was called by every one, was one of the first
settlers in town. No one knows where he came from, but he had built a log
cabin on the shore of the bay which bears his name, long before the Revolution.
Here he lived a strange sort of life, hermit or host as it happened, and
died a very old man in 1789 or 1790.
William HINE was another early settler in the town. He had three
children, Hezekiah, Simeon and Israel. Simeon became a prominent man in
town, and was representative in 1809 and 1810.
Ebenezer WOOLCOTT came to Colchester from Pownal about 1795. He
was engaged in making lime at the Center for a good many years. He had
eleven children, and died in 1839.
Ebenezer SEVERANCE settled in Colchester early, coming from Connecticut
with his father. They lived upon the farm now owned by George N. RHODES.
He had eight children, two of whom, John and George, are citizens of Colchester,
aged respectively seventy-six and seventy-one years.
The town of Colchester was organized in 1791, though the first town
meeting on record was held March 18, 1793. At this meeting Joshua STANTON
was elected moderator and treasurer; Joshua STANTON, jr., town clerk; William
MUNSON, constable; John LAW and Thomas HILL, selectmen. Thomas BUTTERFIELD
was the first representative, elected in 1785; and the first justice of
the peace, appointed in 1787. The population of Colchester as its organization
The present town officers of Colchester are: Town clerk, H. V. HORTON;
selectmen, J. B. SMALL, A. M. WHEELER, Samuel BIGWOOD; treasurer, Ormond
COLE; overseers of she poor, the selectmen; collector, H. V. HORTON; listers,
A. H. MERRILL, William KIDDER, George L. McBRIDE; auditors, A. J. STEVENS,
William KIDDER, Samuel BIGWOOD; trustee surplus fund, H. V. HORTON; town
agent, J. B. SMALL; superintendent of schools, Samuel H. AMSDEN.
The first settlers found she sandy lands of the township covered
with a heavy growth of pitch pine, the cutting of which formed the chief
industry for many years. Many of the trees when felled would measure ten
rods in length, and is was not uncommon so see two thousand feet of lumber
in one saw-log. Before there were any mills for dressing lumber in she
county the pioneers of Colchester took millions of feet to Quebec by raft.
A great many of these rafts were built and loaded just back of the factory
of the Burlington Woolen Company at Winooski village, where the river is
quite broad. Old settlers remember of only one tannery in town. "Uncl "
Eber COON, who lived in the north part of the town, his farm of three hundred
acres reaching so the town line, had a small tannery upon his place, which
he managed for a good many years. He stopped tanning about 1821, having
lost his property.
Dunbar's Hotel, one mile east of Winooski village, was built by
Arad MERRILL in 1830. He kept the house some twelve years, when his son
Andrew succeeded him. In 1878 Frank J. DUNBAR purchased the property, and
has since that time been proprietor. The building is two and one-half stories,
and will accommodate about eighty guests. Numbers of summer boarders stop
with Mr. DUNBAR every season.
The Mallet's Bay House, located near the head of the bay, is a two-storied
building with accommodations for seventy-five persons. It is a popular
resort for summer guests. Mr. J. A. McKENNA is proprietor, and has recently
refitted the entire house. The Mallet's Bay post-office was established
here in 1881. Reuben W. THAYER is postmaster. S. A. WESSON's lime-kilns,
located near the High Bridge, have a capacity for 350 bushels of lime per
day. Mr. WESSON has manufactured lime for over twenty years, shipping it
extensively. He at present owns two kilns and employs in the business ten
THOMPSON's Mills, one-half mile east of Colchester Center, were
erected in 1871 by R. P. THOMPSON. Mr. THOMPSON here runs a saw-mill, a
grist-mill, and a cider-mill.
WAR OF 1812
During the period of this war the following company, under the command
of Lieutenant Moses BATES, was organized in Colchester, and went out from
the town to the front: Jeremiah BROWNE, William HYDE, jr., Joseph CHANDLER,
Wyman HILL, William ELLIS, Jacob BATES, Heman ROWLEY, Jonathan BOARDMAN,
Walter AMES, Joseph HENRY, Timothy GALE, Reuben JONES, Gilbert CHURCHILL,
George DOWNING, William KNIGHT, Andrew PACKARD, Eli GILBERT, Amos GALE,
Benjamin L. HINMAN, William BROWN, Jed BUTLER, Roger LOMIS, David BINNE,
Jacob RALPH, Heman WASHBURN, Andrew DAVIS, Abner MACK, jr., Zacheus ALLEN,
Ebenezer SMALLEY, John WEBSTER, Isaac HARRIS, James HUMPHREY, Daniel WOODARD,
John PLAIN, jr., James WEBSTER, Beman JOHNSON, James NICHOLS, William CALF,
Ebenezer JOHNSON, Elijah WOOLCOT, jr., Chauncey HURLBUT, Moses JOHNSON,
Paul KEEZER, William AMES, Jeremiah BRYAN, Jacob COFFRAN, John COFFRAN,
John CHASE, James BLAIR, jr., Simon BROWN, William SUTTON, Samuel BAKER,
There are two villages in town, Colchester Center and Winooski,
besides a number of houses at Colchester Station. Upon the "north bend"
of Mallet's Bay there are about forty farm houses, and about seventy upon
the “south bend."
Colchester Center is a quiet little hamlet containing a town-house,
three blacksmith shops, a cider-mill, one store, post-office, and three
churches -in all about twenty-five houses. R. J. WHITE does a general business
here in dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes, country produce, feed and
land plaster; amounting to $7,000 per year. He began business in 1884,
and is the only merchant in town out of Winooski.
Winooski, one of the busiest villages in the State, and the largest
in Chittenden county, lies in the southern part of the township, upon Winooski
River. The water-power here afforded by the fall in the river is extensive,
and was early utilized. It was here that Ira ALLEN built his first saw-mills
after the Revolution. The settlement that began with Fort Frederick has
been gradually growing for over one hundred years, till now an iron bridge
has taken the place of the ferry-boat, and the horse-cars run past the
sites of the early log cabins. The "falls village" did not grow very fast
till the erection of the Burlington Woolen Factory; from that time there
has been a steady progress. Sixty years ago Winooski was little more than
a crossing of two roads, now Main and Allen streets. At the foot of Main
street an old covered bridge spanned the river; when it was built no one
knows. Perhaps there were in all forty houses in the village, most of them
low and unpainted; only two of these remain to-day, the old "Mansion House,"
and the stone house now owned by Mr. HERRICK, which was then an hotel kept
by one BUTLER. Several of these houses stood near the head of Main street,
and the collection was termed French Village. There was not a store, saw-mill,
or shop of any kind upon the Colchester side of the river; on the Burlington
side there was a saw and grist-mill on the site of the Burlington Cotton
Mill; and the Green Mountain House, which stood where Dr. RICHARDSON's
house is, and was an old unpainted building. The old ALLEN house, Ira ALLEN's
home, was half tumbling down. It was a great square building, in the old
style, one and one-half stories high, was formerly painted white, and stood
where Mr. DYKE's house now stands. It was removed about 1830. There was
a great deal of timber on all sides of the village, and the land from St.
Francis's Church to the railroad was entirely covered. The farm lands came
to the two roads mentioned, and the sites of the present business blocks
were cultivated fields. Moses CATLIN, who lived where the Mary Fletcher
Hospital now stands, owned most of the lands around the village, and many
of the villagers worked for him by the day, getting out spars and square
lumber for the Quebec market. The first store on the Colchester side was
built by Mr. WEAVER in 1834, on the site of the present Winooski block.
The village owes much to Francis LE CLAIR. He came to Winooski in 1828,
and has erected over one hundred and fifty houses, building as many as
ten some seasons. By allowing them to pay in easy installments, he has
furnished many poor families with pleasant homes.
The village was incorporated in December, 1866. The following were
the first officers: William KIDDER, secretary; H. V. HORTON, treasurer;
Allen STONE, collector; George P. WOODS, S. H. WESTON, F. C. KENNEDY, H.
W. BARRETT, Francis LE CLAIR, trustees; P. P. WILKINS, A. J. STEVENS, A.
H. BUNKER, Samuel BIGWOOD, A. C. SMITH, fire wardens. The village is divided
into the east, west, and south wards.
H.F. WOLCOTT was born at Westfield, Ohio, in 1849, and was educated
at Oberlin College. He studied law with O. E. BUTTERFIELD, of Wilmington,
Vt., and was admitted to the bar in Windham county, Vt., in 1876. He practiced
his profession there till 1883, when he removed to Winooski, where he has
since practiced. Mr. WOLCOTT is a member of the law firm of WILBUR &
WOLCOTT, of Burlington, office at 46 North Winooski avenue. His Winooski
office is in Weston's block, Main street.
H.N. DEAVITT began the practice of law in Winooski in May, 1884.
He was born at Richmond, Vt., in March, 1842, and graduated at the Barre
Academy in 1861. Mr. DEAVITT studied law with Luther HENRY, of Waterbury,
Vt., Jeremiah FRENCH, of Burlington, at the Albany Law School, and with
Judge T. P. REDFIELD, of Montpelier. He was admitted to the bar in Washington
county, Vt., in March, 1866.
Dr. L. F. BURDICK, the oldest medical practitioner in Colchester,
and one of the oldest in the county, came to Winooski in November, 1852.
Dr. BURDICK was born in Ira, Rutland county, Vt., December 16, 1824, educated
at the Gouverneur Academy, St. Lawrence county, N. Y., and at Union College.
He studied medicine with Dr. CONKIE, of Canton, N. Y., and Dr. S. C. WITHERBY,
of Westford, Vt., and graduated at the Castleton Medical College in 1852.
Dr. BURDICK has been for a number of years one of the attending physicians
to the Mary Fletcher Hospital of Burlington. His office is at his house
on Main street.
Dr. J. H. RICHARDSON began the practice of medicine in Winooski
in 1868. He was born at Barnard, Windsor county, Vt., in 1816, educated
at Pomfret, Vt., in select schools and in the high school, studied medicine
with Drs. GIBSON and Benjamin Rush PALMER, both of Woodstock, Vt., and
graduated at the Woodstock Medical College. His office is at his house
on Allen street.
Dr. O. W. PECK was born in Montgomery, Vt., in 1854, and was fitted
for college at the Barre Academy; studying medicine, he graduated at the
medical department of the University of Vermont in 1880, and immediately
began practice in Winooski. Office in Winooski block, Allen street.
Dr. W. G. CHURCH, office in Winooski block, Allen street, was born
in Jericho, Vt., in 1850. He graduated from the academical department of
the University of Vermont in 1869 and from the medical department in 1878.
His preceptor in medicine was Dr. G. W. BROMLEY, of Richmond, Vt. Dr. CHURCH
practiced in Middlesex, Vt., for the last six years and came to Winooski
in March, 1886.
Dr. Samuel PATENAUDE, located at the corner of Main and Allen streets,
began the practice of medicine in Winooski in 1884. He was born at St.
Johns, P. Q., in 1862, and educated at Pointe aux Tremble. He graduated
at the medical department of the University of Vermont in 1884.
Dr. J. D. DELISLE was born at Montreal in 1857 and was educated
at Quebec. He graduated from the Victoria Medical College, Montreal, in
1885, and began the practice of his profession in Winooski in the same
M.S. KENDALL, dentist, office in Winooski block, was born at Reading,
Windsor county, Vt., in 1838. He studied dentistry with Nathaniel HARRIS,
of Middlebury, Vt., and opened his office in town more than twenty years
Burlington Woolen Company, F. C. KENNEDY, agent, located at Winooski,
see Burlington chapter on manufactures.
Burlington Cotton Company, W. H. BARRETT, agent, located at Winooski,
see same chapter.
The WALKER & HATCH Lumber and Manufacturing Company, located
at Winooski, see same chapter.
Winooski Brick Yard, Francis LE CLAIR, proprietor, see Burlington
DOUBLEDAY & CLEMENT Brothers' Furniture Manufactory was established
in Winooski by DOUBLEDAY & HALL in 1873. They were succeeded in 1877
by T. A. DOUBLEDAY, who was in 1884 succeeded by the present firm. The
firm cut over 1,000,000 feet of lumber per year, and employ from sixty
to seventy men in the manufacture of all kinds of cottage and parlor furniture.
They make a specialty of ash and basswood goods, shipping them all over
the United States. They also do a large export business with the West India
Islands and South America.
EDWARDS, STEVENS & Co., iron founders and machinists, established
in 1858, see Burlington chapter.
The Winooski Lumber and Water Power Company was incorporated some
eighteen years ago with a capital stock of $60,000, $47,000 of which was
taken by Colonel L. B. PLATT, S. H. WESTON and H. P. HICKOK. After Colonel
PLATT's death J. F. LEONARD purchased his interest and is at present manager
for the company. In 1885 WALKER & HATCH purchased of the company their
water-power interest, with some four acres of land, on the right bank of
the river just above the “upper dam." The company at present own considerable
land, including the island above the falls.
The Winooski Gold and Silver Plating Works, on Canal street, were
established in 1864 by George HAGER. In 1874 he sold the business to David
MITCHELL, who has since carried it on, employing some of the time sixteen
men. Mr. MITCHELL also manufactures gold, silver and nickel-plated harness
trimmings of all kinds.
The Winooski Savings Bank, on Allen street, was incorporated in
1869. S. H. Weston is president; H. W. BARRETT, vice-president, and Ormond
COLE, treasurer. The bank does a large business. The officers above named,
together with the following gentlemen, are trustees : J. H. RICHARDSON,
W. T. HERRICK, A. J. STEVENS, J. B. SMALL, O. P. Ray, W. L. GREENLEAF,
Samuel BIGWOOD and E. C. MOWER.
SAFFORD, HUMPHREY & Co., Corporation block, Main street, do
an extensive business in dry goods, groceries, clothing, hats and caps,
shoes and meats. The firm is made up of E. O. SAFFORD, A. O. HUMPHREY and
F. C. KENNEDY. They purchased the business of H. W. MASON in 1881, employ
nine clerks, and their annual sales amount to nearly $100,000.
J.C. Platt & Co., Main street, do a large business in dry goods
and groceries, boots and shoes. They carry, also, a full line of carpetings
and oilcloths. The business was established a number of years ago by Platt
& ALLEN. In 1885 J. C. PLATT's father, Hon. J. S. PLATT, purchased
the interest of Mr. ALLEN.
E.R. CRANDALL's drug store, Main street, was established in 1882.
Mr. CRANDALL carries a full line of drugs and chemicals, and makes a specialty
of physicians' prescriptions.
Herbert PARRIZO, Main street, deals in dry and fancy goods. He opened
his store in town in 1880.
H.L. JOHONOTT's drug business, on Main street, was established in
JOHONOTT over forty years ago, and has been carried on by Mr. JOHONOTT
for the last six years. He does a large business in drugs and medicines,
and carries a line of spectacles and optical goods in general.
William DEVINO handles $10,000 worth of flour, feed and baled hay
per annum in his feed store on ALLEN street. He employs three men in the
CARPENTIER Brothers -- Frank, George and Henry B. -- began the dry
goods and grocery business in Winooski nineteen years ago. During this
time their trade has steadily increased, till now they do a good wholesale
business in fancy goods, notions and cigars. They carry a full general
store stock, and keep three men on the road.
J.D. TANNER, Winooski block, began the drug business in the village
in 1884- He carries a large stock of drugs and medicines, together with
books and stationery, fancy and toilet articles.
A.A. GRAVE, Winooski block, succeeded in 1884 Francis LE CLAIR,
who began business forty-five years ago, in staple and fancy groceries,
paper-hangings and curtains, silver-plated and steel cutlery.
Frank W. MACRAE commenced the furniture business in Winooski in
1883; he occupies two stores in Winooski block, and deals extensively in
all kinds of cottage and parlor furniture.
J.L. DEVINO, Allen street, carries a $3,000 stock of jeweler's goods,
including watches, clocks, silverware and spectacles. He began business
in the village three years ago.
W.R. CHAMBERSs & Co., corner of Main and Allen streets, began
trade in Winooski in 1884. The business is boots, shoes and rubbers, of
which a good stock is always kept on hand.
A. DUBUC has been in trade in Winooski since 1881, doing a good
business in groceries and fancy goods. He is located on Main street and
carries a stock of $500.
C.H. SHIPMAN, Allen street, began the hardware business in the village
in May, 1886. He carries a stock of $4,000 in hardware, tin ware, paints
L.B. PLATT, Main street, has been interested in mercantile business
in Winooski for more than twenty years. Since 188o he has done a general
business in dry goods and groceries, boots and shoes, making a specialty
of clothing. Mr. PLATT has also a market on Main street.
S. BIGWOOD & Son, Main street, carry a heavy line of hardware,
stoves, tin ware, paints and oils, manufacturing the tin ware. Mr. BIGWOOD
has been in business here twenty-five years.
WESTON & CATLIN, Main street, keep the oldest store and market
in Winooski, dealing in groceries and meats of all kinds. The business
was established by Mr. WESTON's father when Winooski village was simply
"the falls," and their large store attests the growth of the interest.
The Stevens House, located on Main street, was built in 1864 by
EDWARDS & STEVENS; it is four stories high, and has accommodations
for sixty guests. The present proprietor is James EVARTS. The house does
a good business and has always many guests during the summer season. A.
J. EVARTS is clerk.
The Winooski Graded School, in the sixth school district of the
town of Colchester, is supported by both the town and village. A fine school
is maintained; J. A. HARTIGAN is principal; Miss T. L. OUILLINAN, Miss
J. B. LONERGAN and Mrs. H. M. BARTRAM are assistants.
The Winooski Aqueduct Company, by which the village is supplied
with water, see Burlington Woolen Company.
The fire department of the village, composed of two companies, is
very efficient and dates from the incorporation of the latter, when a steamer
Winooski Steamer Co. No. I. -- Foreman, J. K. NASH; first assistant,
John GLEASON; second assistant, James WATERMAN; engineer, C. D. FLINT;
first assistant engineer, F. W. STYLES; second assistant engineer, W. E.
GRAY; fireman, R. J. STODDARD; secretary and treasurer, M. J. COUGHLIN;
auditor, M. J. COUGHLIN; steward, C. D. FLINT.
Lafayette Hose Co. No. 2. -- Foreman, Patrick McGREEVY; first assistant,
Arthur BOVAS; second assistant, Duffel LAVED; clerk, Joseph T. MONSOON;
treasurer, Peter LECLAIR.
The present officers of Winooski village are: Clerk, H. V. HORTON;
auditors, Peter DESANTELS, William KIDDER; trustees, east ward, A. J. STEVENS,
Samuel BIGWOOD; south ward, C. GORDON, A. S. WEBB; west ward, Henry LAVIGNE,
jr., Joseph NIQUETTE, jr.; fire wardens, W. L. GREENLEAF, Louis BARABL,
Postmasters. -- The first mention of a postmaster in the town of
Colchester appears in “Walton's Register" for 1834, when John W. WEAVER
served his country in that capacity. This was at the Center. From about
1836 to 1850 Cassius M. PHELPS held the office, and was succeeded by George
M. SHARP. His successors have been as follows: E. S. HINE, from about 1855
to 1861; John SCULLIN, from 1862 to 1867; A. C. BROWNELL, in 1868; John
F. DAL, from 1869 to 1876; F. L. PARSONS, from 1877 to 1881; George HOWARD,
in 1882; A. W. HOWARD, from 1883 to 1885; and Ira LORD, the present incumbent.
The inhabitants of Winooski Falls and village formerly obtained
their mail largely from the Burlington office, which was for years located
at the head of Pearl street. Walton does not mention any office there before
1848, when William B. HATCH was appointed. Since then the postmasters at
Winooski have been Silas C. ISHAM, succeeding Mr. HATCH, from 1853 to 1854;
Joseph B. SMALL, from 1855 to 1861; George P. WOODS, 1862 to 1865; C. F.
STORRS, 1866; G. T. SMITH, 1867; L. B. PRATT, jr., from 1869 to 1877; James
W. EDWARDS, from 1878 to the present time.
The First Congregational Church of Colchester, located at the Center,
was organized September 14, 1804, in a school-house then standing near
the village. The organization was effected by Rev. Benjamin WOOSTER, who
was sent by the Connecticut Missionary Society to Vermont.
The eight constituent members were Timothy FARRAND, Friend FARRAND,
Nathan WHEELER, Polly DEMING, Elizabeth WHEELER, Desire WOLCOTT, Lydia
AUSTIN, and a Mrs. DOWNING; most of them were from New Mitford and Derby,
Conn. Nathan WHEELER was chosen the first deacon, holding the office until
his death, in 1806. Edward GRIFFIN was elected to succeed him, and until
his removal from town in 1812 was the only deacon. The society worshiped
in barns and school-houses till 1814, when the old school-house was built
to be used for school and town purposes and also for public worship. The
society, in connection with the Baptist Society, erected in 1838 a suitable
brick church which served as a place of worship for both until 1861, when
the Congregationalists purchased the interest of the Baptists in the building,
and completely repaired the same; it will seat two hundred persons. The
society own a pleasant parsonage with two and a half acres of land. In
1885 the church and parsonage were repaired, at an expense of $600. The
present officers of the church are Rev. Samuel H. AMSDEN, pastor; Holman
BATES, deacon; R. J. BATES, superintendent of the Sabbath-school; Frederick
BATES, clerk. The church at present has sixty-nine members, the Sabbath-school
sixty, and the congregation averages 135.
The First Baptist Church of Colchester, located at the Center, was
organized January 19, 1820, with eight members. The Rev. Phineas COLVER
was the first pastor. The first house of worship was erected in 1830 in
union with the First Congregational Church. The two societies continued
to worship together till 1861, when the Congregationalists purchased the
interest of the Baptists in the structure. The Baptists immediately erected
their present wood church at a cost of $3,000, capable of seating 275 people.
The church is at present without a pastor, but services are kept up. John
CROCKETT and Noah THOMPSON are deacons, and Mason O. PECK superintendent
of Sabbath-school. The membership of the church is fifty-five, and of the
The First Methodist Church of Colchester is located at the Center.
In 1824 the few Methodists in town met together and held public worship
with the Congregationalists and Baptists in an old school-house standing
on the site of the present academy building. A Sabbath-school was at this
time organized, but met only in the summer months, and not regularly then.
The first superintendent remembered was Ebenezer SPENCER, a Baptist, followed
by Charles COLLINS, who now resides near the Center. The first meeting-house
was built in 1839; it was constructed of brick and cost $1,500. This served
the society until 1869, when the present church edifice was erected, costing
$2,500. The officers of the church are Rev. J. T. BAXENDALE, pastor; Melvin
McHALL, D. G. HUNTRESS, leaders; F. S. PARSONS, W. B. PARKER, W. H. BAKER,
B. O. WHITE, F. S. SMITH, Homer PORTER, George HORTON, stewards; Eliza
BARSTOW, Anna NELSON, Sabbath-school superintendents; F. S. PARSONS, F.
S. SMITH, Seth A. CARY, business committee. The church has at present seventy-six
members. The following pastors have served the society: 1828,
Rev. Lyman A. SANFORD, Rev. Elias SHELDON; 1834-35, Elijah CRANE;
1835-36, Arunah LYON, Lyman A. SANFORD; 1838-39, William N. FRASER, Andrew
WEATHERSPOON; 1840-41, C. H. LEONARDS, Miller FISK, Samuel HUGHS, Aaron
HALL; 1842-43, A. S. COOPER, A. F. FENTON, C. H. GRIDLY; 1846-47, J. L.
COOK, D. B. McKENZIE; 1851-52, J. B. WHITNEY, W. R. PUFFER; 1853-54, William
N. FRASER, D. W. GOULD, J. E. KIMBALL; 1856-57, Benjamin COX; 1859-60,
L. M. FISHER; 1861-62, A. S. COOPER; 1864-65, C. F. GARVIN; 1868-69, John
CHASE; 1870-71, John CHASE; 1871-72,.W. H. HYDE; 1873-76, D. H. BICKNELL;
1878-79, D. P. BRAGG; 1880-81, J. C. LANGFORD; 1883-84, C. S. HULBURT.
The following names of preachers are remembered, but not the dates of service:
C. W. CUTLER, Bishop ISBELL, Will CLARK, McKendree PETTY, O. E. SPICER,
G. C. SIMMONDS, Alexander CAMPBELL, and Revs. CRAIG, CHESTER, CHAMBERLIN,
PRATT, ROGERS, and CHAMBERLAIN.
The First Congregational Society of Winooski was formed November
9, 1836, Rev. Simeon PARMELEE, D. D., being moderator of the meeting. Twenty-three
of the constituent members were a colony from the First Church of Burlington.
H. P. HICKOK was scribe of the first council, and Rev. President WHEELER,
of the University of Vermont, chairman of the first church meeting. The
articles of association, drafted by the late Hon. George P. MARSH, were
signed November 20, 1836. Dan DAY was chosen deacon December 13, 1836,
and Sewall KENNY first clerk. A feature of the organization is that no
tax can ever be laid upon the members of the society to meet expenses,
article five reading: "The church shall be erected and kept in repair,
the clergyman supported, and all other expenses of the society defrayed
by the voluntary contributions of the members of the society, and such
other persons as may be disposed to subscribe, and not by tax upon the
members." Meetings were held from 1836 to 1840 in the brick school-house
upon the Burlington side of the river. In 1840 the present brick church
was erected upon Allen street. It cost $7,736.41, and will seat 250 persons.
The church at present has too members, and the Sabbath-school 120, with
a library of 550 volumes. The officers of the society are Rev. E. A. SQUIER,
pastor; James A. PARSONS, of Essex, F. A. THOMPSON, and John JEWETT, deacons;
A. O. HOOD, superintendent of the Sabbath-school and clerk; Dr. O. W. PECK,
A. E. RICHARDSON, Dr. J. H. RICHARDSON, John JEWETT, and J. B. SMALL, prudential
The early history of Methodism in Winooski is somewhat obscure,
though probably dating back to 1830-35. For many years there was Methodist
preaching here by local preachers in adjoining towns, and services were
first held over Duncan's blacksmith shop, then in Baxter's Hall, next in
Hatch's Hall until the erection of the present church structure on Allen
street. The First Methodist Church of Winooski was organized about 1846
by S. R. RATHBURN, H. SIMMONS, J. L. HEMPSTEAD, J. P. NEWHALL, Sherman
BEACH, and Rev. H. H. W. SMITH as pastor. The following is the list of
pastors who have served the society since its organization. In 1847, Rev.
H. H. SMITH ; in 1848, Rev. John HARLEM; in 1849, Rev. C. F. BURDICK; in
1850-51, Rev. L. MARSHALL; in 1852, Rev. R. GRIFFIN; in 185J, Rev. J. G.
PHILLIPS; in 1854-55, Rev. C. C. BEDELL; in 1856-57, Rev. S. W. CLEMENS;
in 1860, Rev. G. A. SILVERSTON; in 1861-62, Rev. J. FASSETT; in 1863-64,
Rev. A. J. INGALLS; in 1865, Rev. J. E. METCALF; in 1866-67, Rev. D. LEWIS;
in 1868, Rev. N. O. FREEMAN; in 1870, Rev. J. C. WALKER; in 1871-72, Rev.
A. J. INGALLS; in 1873, Rev. T. C. POTTES; in 18i4, Rev. M. LUDLUM; in
1875, Rev. J. G. PERKINS; in 1876-77-78, Rev. A. HEATH; in 1879-80, Rev.
S. D. ELKINS; in 1881-82, Rev. E. L. WALKER; in 1883-84, Rev. D. C. AYERS
; in 1885, Rev. J. G. GOODING. The first and present house of worship was
dedicated in March, 1861; it is built of wood, cost $3,500, and seats 400
persons. The church officers are Rev. J. G. GOODING, pastor; Sidney H.
WESTON, John RUMSEY, W. G. SIBLEY, C. S. LORD, J. F. LEONARD, Fred WHITING,
Ed. C. GREENLEAF, John MELLOR, D. D. WENTWORTH, Frank MACE, and E. HULL,
stewards; Sidney H. WESTON, superintendent of the Sabbath-school. The society
has 114 members and probationers, and the Sabbath-school 190 members.
The Trinity Mission of the Protestant Episcopal Church was organized
in 1873 by Rev. E. R. ATWILL, rector of St. Paul's Church, Burlington,
with four communicants. The present wood chapel on East Union street was
erected the same year; it cost $3,000, and will seat 150 persons. The mission
now has forty-two communicants and is under the care of Henry C. Hutchings,
assistant minister of St. Paul's Church, Burlington.
of Chittenden County, Vermont
and Biographical Sketches
of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers
By W. S. Rann, Syracuse, N. Y.
& Co., Publishers, 1886
by Karima Allison ~ 2004
section of Hamilton Child's "Gazetteer and Business Directory of
Chittenden County, Vt. For 1882-83."
Town of Colchester Town Records ~
from 1795 - 1861
listings from the Champlain Cemetery
listings from the Malletts Bay Cemetery
listings from the Munson Cemetery in Colchester, VT