OF THE TOWN OF HINESBURG
THIS town is situated in the southern part of the
county, is bounded north by Shelburne, St. George and Richmond, east by
Huntington and by Starksboro, in Addison county, south by Starksboro and
Monkton, in that county, and west by Charlotte. The charter of Hinesburg
was granted by Benning Wentworth on the 24th of June, 1762, to the following
FERRISS, Abel HINE (from whom the town received its name), John BROWNSON,
Zechariah FERRISS, Daniel BOSTWICK, jr., Thomas OVIATT, jr., William GOOLD,
Moses JOHNSON, Benjamin BROWNSON, Isaac CANFIELD, David HALL, Josiah BROWNSON,
Samuel BROWNSON, Samuel BROWNSON, jr., Samuel CANFIELD, John CARRINGTON,
Thomas WELLER, Tilly WELLER, Abel WELLER, Ebenezer HOTCHKISS, Isaac BALDWIN,
Jr., Abel CAMP, John COMSTOCK, Samuel HITCHCOCK, jr., John HITCHCOCK, Isaac
HITCHCOCK, Asahel HITCHCOCK, Zadok NOBLE, Benjamin GAYLARD, Samuel COMSTOCK,
Asahel NOBLE, John WARNER, Merton WARNER, Orange WARNER, Thomas DARLING,
Partridge THATCHER, James BRADSHAW, Thomas NOBLE, William VAUGHAN, Joseph
WOOSTER, Andrew BURRITT, Isaac BOSTWICK, Noble HINE, Daniel BURRITT, Job
GOOLD, Job GOOLD, jr., David GOOLD, Amos BOSTWICK, Joseph UNDERHILL, Edward
BURLING, Samuel UNDERHILL, Andrew UNDERHILL, Thomas UNDERHILL, William
VAN WYCK, William VAN WYCK, jr., Hugh RIDER, William FIELD, Joseph PEARSALL,
Thomas PEARSALL, Benjamin FERRISS, "the Hon. John TEMPLE, esq., lieutenant-governor,
Theodore ATKINSON, esq., Mark H. WENTWORTH, esq., John NELSON, esq., Benning
The charter was recorded by Abel HINE, register, on
the 18th of February, 1763.
In outline the town is very regular, being a perfect
square, with each side six miles in length, enclosing a tract of 23,040
acres. Unlike most of the other towns in the State, Hinesburg at the beginning
really contained the area ascribed to it, and has suffered neither increase
nor diminution from then up to the present time. The soil in the western
part of the town is principally clay and very fertile, while the surface
is not mountainous, though in many places the limestone formations have
been thrown up into small ridges or hillocks, some of which are rough and
precipitous. In the eastern part the soil is a sandy or gravelly loam,
overlying a talcose formation which meets the limestone layer of the western
part, making a succession of north and south ridges extending through nearly
the center of the town, which are some of them arable to their summits.
Numerous streams afford ample irrigation, and contain excellent mill sites,
which have been a source of great wealth to the town. The principal streams
are Lewis Creek and La Plotte River.
The original forests of this vicinity were generally
of the common varieties of hard timber found in Vermont, with scattering
pines and small swamps of cedar. Several beaver meadows, one containing
more than 100 hundred acres, were of value to the early settlers by furnishing
considerable quantities of hay, though of a poor quality.
The fact that few of the grantees named in the charter
entertained the thought of settling on the wilderness lands which had been
granted them, is clearly betrayed by the early records of transfers of
land. Within a few days after the date of the charter, Job GOOLD, jr.,
sold his original right to Benjamin FERRISS for eight shillings; and in
December, 1762, David HALL sold one full right to Henry FRANKLIN and Benjamin
UNDERHILL, merchants of New York city. Most of the proprietors lived in
Litchfield county, Conn., and manifested no eagerness about their lands
in Hinesburg, except to make them habitable for the sake of speculation.
It is worthy of note, too, that while meetings were frequently held up
to May 16, 1776, and at that date an adjournment was voted to "the first
Monday of September, 1776," there is no record of that adjourned meeting,
nor of any other until the 8th day of May, 1783. This is one proof showing
how instantly and completely the whole interest and enterprise of the men
of the Revolution were engaged in carrying on the war while it lasted.
The first meeting of the proprietors was held at New
Milford, Conn., on the last Friday of July, 1762, and their last meeting
at that place was held on the 9th of May, 1783. One week later a warning
was issued through the “public papers," signed by Ira ALLEN, at Sunderland,
for a meeting to be held "at the House of Abner CHAFFEE, in said Hinesburg,
on the fifth Monday of June next." At that time and place Noble HINE was
chosen moderator, and Isaac HITCHCOCK clerk; whereupon the meeting was
adjourned to the house of Isaac LAWRENCE, July 7, 1783. At this meeting,
and at others held on the 9th and l0th of the same month, the following
votes were recorded, among others:
At a meeting held on the 8th of October, 1787, at
the house of Eliphaz STEELE, in Hinesburg, pursuant to a warning by Isaac
TICHENOR, of Bennington, Nathan LEAVENWORTH was chosen moderator, and George
McEUEN clerk. At an adjourned meeting at the same place on "Tuesday, Janr
ye 8th, 1788," Jacob MEACHAM, Josiah STEELE and Elisha BARBER were appointed
to receive the proprietors' records "if sent into town." George McEUEN
was instructed to notify Abel HINE, the former clerk, to deliver the books
here. At the next meeting, June 24, 1788, the records had been obtained.
to lay out a second division of land consisting of two lots each to the
original proprietors, each lot to consist of 102 acres." Ira ALLEN, Isaac
HITCHCOCK and Noble HINE were appointed a committee to lay out said division
of land, and when complete to make a draft to each proprietor.
to rescind the vote passed at New Milford, January 10, 1775, giving to
Colonel Ethan ALLEN and others 400 acres of land for making road as they
did not do it."
to give Isaac LAWRENCE, John McNEIL, Elnathan HUBBELL and John BISHOP,
jr., 100 acres of land each, for making road, they paying for surveying
HUBBELL, jr., of Bennington, was appointed collector.
For the most part the records after this refer to
the raising of means for the construction of roads and bridges, with an
occasional reference to schools and meeting- houses. On the first day of
July, 1789, the following amounts were presented for payment, and allowed.
They are given here in order to show the names of those who were living
here at that time, many of whom are not remembered, because of the brevity
of their residence:
on Highways, and Other Services to Proprietors
CUMINS (COMINGS or CUMMINGS)
McEUEN, for work on roads
for going to New Milford after proprietors' records
BARBER, for work on roads
for advertising proprietors' meetings
On Monday, January 4, 1790, the following measure
was adopted, showing the spirit of the times, and a weakness of one of
Vermont's brightest men:
the foregoing list and in the list of grantees, the writer has followed
the spelling of the record, which will account far a difference that may
be noticed in the later pages of this chapter.]
that we will choose a committee to refer a complaint to the commissioners
appointed by the Legislature at their last session for the purpose of settling
and adjusting the account of Ira ALLEN, esq., late surveyor-general, for
an exorbitant charge against this town by sd ALLEN for cutting roads and
preambleateing the town lines." Thaddeus MUNSON, Lemuel BOSTWICK and Elias
BARBER were chosen this committee.
Andrew BURRITT was the only one of the proprietors
that settled in Hinesburg, though many of them are now represented by descendants.
Mr. BURRITT settled on his original right in the southeastern part of the
town, where he lived to the age of ninety-six years and three months, while
his wife survived him and attained the age of ninety-five years and eight
months. He was blind for a number of years previous to his death. His son,
Tilly W., occupied the farm for years afterwards, and also reached a great
age. The place is occupied at present by Marquis BURRITT, a great-grandson
The only settlers known to have lived in the town
previous to the Revolution were Isaac LAWRENCE, from Canaan, Conn., and
Abner CHAFFEE. LAWRENCE was granted 100 acres of land by the proprietors
in consideration of services rendered in building roads, and settled on
lot 26, about three-fourths of a mile north of the present village, on
the farm now owned by Orson WRIGHT. His house stood about on the site of
the house now occupied by Charles WRIGHT. Mr. LAWRENCE left town during
the war, and returned after its close, remaining until 1793, when he sold
out to Epaphras Hull and went to Canada. He and his family, in their isolated
condition, suffered incredible hardships here. Epaphras HULL, from Wallingford,
kept a tavern for years on this place.
Abner CHAFFEE lived at the south end of the village,
on the place now occupied by William J. DOUGLASS. General Nathan LEAVENWORTH
afterwards owned the property for a long time, though he never lived on
In 1784 Mr. LAWRENCE was joined by Jacob MEACHAM,
from Rutland, Hezekiah TUTTLE, from Williamstown, Mass., and Amos ANDREWS.
MEACHAM lived about two and one-half miles southeast from the site of Hinesburg
village, on the place now occupied by the descendants of Samuel and Prince
PETERS. Hine MEACHAM, son of Jacob, born on the first day of April, 1785,
was the first white child born in town, and from that circumstance was
named Hine, after the town. There were no physicians in town at the time,
but Mrs. George McEUEN, afterwards Mrs. ROYCE, acted as midwife, and was
drawn to the scene of this birth on a hand-sled.
Hezekiah TUTTLE settled about two miles south of the
village, on the east side of the road, where his house stands yet, used
as a tenant house. John PARTCH afterwards occupied the same farm, but resided
on the opposite side of the road.
Amos ANDREWS lived on the Center road about a mile
north of the Monkton line in a house still standing. He died of camp fever
during the War of 1812-15. His wife was an aunt of Dr. Elmer BEECHER.
In 1785 the population of the town was increased by
the following arrivals George McEUEN, from New Milford, Conn., George PALMER,
from Stonington, Conn., Elisha MEECH, Eliphaz and George STEELE, Thomas
PLACE, Thomas BUTLER, Joseph WILCOX, Thomas MCFARLAND and Elkanah BILLINGS.
George McEUEN located on the first farm north of Amos
ANDREWS, a little south of the center of the town. He married Mercy WRIGHT,
at Shaftsbury, Vt., on the 12th of November, 1783, and in the following
summer assisted in the construction of the first saw-mill in Ferrisburgh;
later in the season he came on to his land in this town and built his cabin.
In the following February he moved his family from Shaftsbury, on an ox-sled,
with a yoke of oxen, two cows and a horse. They arrived here on the 26th
of that month, after overcoming arduous difficulties interposed by the
depth of snow and lack of roads. Their first meals were taken on the cover
of a wash-tub. In the summer of 1785 Mr. McEUEN built a log house in which
they lived until July 19, 1797, when their two-story brick house, the first
of that material in town, was completed. George McEUEN, who, besides attending
to all the duties of his household, had served several years as proprietors'
clerk and afterwards as town clerk, died of the epidemic of 1813, on the
27th of February. He left six sons and three daughters, all of whom are
dead, though numerous descendants are now living in Hinesburg and in St.
Lawrence county, N. Y. In March, 1815, Mrs. McEUEN became the wife of Nehemiah
ROYCE, who survived the marriage but about two years. She died December
26, 1847, aged eighty-three years. Owen COGAN now occupies the site of
the McEUEN homestead.
George PALMER was a soldier of the Revolution, and
a prominent member of the Methodist Church. He settled in the vicinity
of Rhode Island Corners, where he lived seventy-one years, dying March
15, 1856, aged ninety-four years, four months and eight days. He left nine
children, thirty-nine grandchildren and thirty-four great-grandchildren.
Elisha MEECH brought his family from Bennington to
Hinesburg, reaching here on the 9th of March, 1785, traveling in a wagon
over rough roads, the wagon being overturned and Mrs. MEECH and a child
seriously injured, in the latter part of the journey. In the spring the
horses died for lack of food; in the following summer, August 25, the corn
was frost-bitten; there being no mill nearer than Burlington or Vergennes,
Mr. MEECH manufactured a hand-mill from a spring-pole and pestle suspended
over the hollowed stump of a tree, in which he pounded the frost-bitten
corn for the family; and in the sugar season, their only cow died from
drinking syrup. Such were the sufferings of the early life of Hon. Ezra
MEECH, son of Elisha, afterwards one of the most prominent men of Shelburne.
Many of the members of this family have been noted for their penchant for
hunting. The old homestead is in the west part of the town, and is supposed
to be the place now owned by Lyman PARTCH.
Josiah STEELE, who has been called "the father of
the Congregational Church," because of his prominence in its organization
and early history, was the father of Eliphaz STEELE, and died in 1801,
aged seventy-seven years. Eliphaz came with his father from East Hartford,
Conn., in 1785, and settled about one-half mile south of the village on
the farm now owned by Andrew CURRY. He was clerk of the Congregational
Church from 1802 to 1818, during all which time the church had no pastor
and only occasional preaching. He was a man of consistent and unbounded
piety, religion being always the common theme of his conversation. He died
in 1839, aged eighty-one years.
Thomas BUTLER lived on the Center road, near George
McEUEN, on the farm and in the house now occupied by Joseph LANDON. White
BUTLER, his son, lived on the same place for years after Thomas died.
Joseph WILCOX settled on the same place, at Rhode
Island Corners, which his grandson, Cyrus WILCOX, now owns.
In 1786 there were added to the settlement Alfred
SMALLEY, Job SPAFFORD, Azariah PALMER, Elisha BARBER, Zadok CLARK, Andrew
BURRITT, Jonathan GREEN, David GATES, Nathan LEAVENWORTH, Nathan LEAVENWORTH,
jr., James GATES, Zalmon WHEELER, Cornelius HURLBURT and Enoch HASKINS.
Alfred SMALLEY and Job SPAFFORD did not remain in
town long. Azariah PALMER settled at Rhode Island Corners. Elisha BARBER
was not many years a resident of the town, but was quite prominent while
here. He owned and occupied the farm next west of the place now owned by
Orson WRIGHT, back some distance from the present road, the lot still being
known as the Barber lot. Jonathan GREEN was for a number of years a merchant
on the Burlington road, his store occupying land now owned by Charles and
Nathan LEAVENWORTH, jr., came with his father from
New. Milford, Conn., when he was twenty-three years of age, and with him
settled on the place now occupied by Mrs. R. Lucretia WILLSON, and her
son and grandson. Mrs. WILLSON is a daughter of Nathan LEAVENWORTH, jr.
General LEAVENWORTH, having passed his early life among the stirring scenes
of the Revolution, formed his character on the best model of those times.
He was one of the largest land owners ever in town, and while he lived
owned nearly all the land now forming the site of the village. He gave
two acres to the town for a public common, with a proviso that the Congregational
Church edifice should be erected thereon, which was done. His distinguished
worth did not go unappreciated. From 1796 to 1830 he was chosen at twenty-one
different times representative in the Legislature. He was a member of the
State Senate two years, and once an elector from Vermont of the president
and vice-president of the United States. He died in September, 1849, aged
eighty-five years. He was twice married.
Cornelius HURLBURT lived on the west road, on the
place now owned by Charles BOYNTON.
In 1787 the population of the town was increased by
the arrival of the following, most of them bringing their families with
them: Elijah PECK, James COMINGS, Seth BASSET, Jonathan MARSHAL, Knaptaly
BISHOP, Lemuel BOSTWICK, Joseph FARRAND, David HILL, Nathan STUART, Thaddeus
STUART, Abraham STUART, Eleazer SPRAGUE, Lockwood MEAD, Alpheus MEAD, Simeon
HINE, Robert McEUEN, David WELLER, Samuel DORWIN, Stephen SPALDING, Ezbon
NOBLE, David SPENCER, Ebenezer STONE, Moses SMALLEY and Jonas SHATTUCK.
Elijah PECK, whose granddaughter, Mrs. Dr. Elmer BEECHER,
is now a resident of this town, was born in Litchfield county, Conn., on
the 3d of September, 1761, and came to Hinesburg when he was twenty-six
years of age. He built a tavern on the site of the present hotel, a part
of the frame of which still stands, and for a number of years kept tavern
there, the first on the site. He was a prominent man here and was for years
a merchant. He built the store building on the site of the one now occupied
by H. M. HULL. He was twice married. His first wife was a victim of the
epidemic of 1813. He died near the line of Charlotte September 29, 1843.
James COMINGS, or CUMMINGS, lived in the old red house
on the northeast corner of the roads that intersect in the village, now
occupied by Mrs. BELL. CUMMINGS sold out to John BEECHER in 1800.
Seth BASSET lived on the Center road about half a
mile from the exact center of the town, and reared a large family there.
He removed from town about 1835. Jonathan MARSHAL settled in the extreme
west part of the town. Knaptaly BISHOP located in the northeast part of
Lemuel BOSTWICK came from New Milford, Conn., where
he had lived while acting as master of a coasting vessel. He settled in
Mechanicsville, on a lot of which his father, Isaac BOSTWICK, was the original
proprietor. In 1790 he shifted his situation to Pond Brook, the most important
water power in town, and there erected the first saw-mill in 1791, and
a small grist-mill in 1793, and soon after a carding machine, which he
occupied until 1814. In 1816 he removed from town. He was the first representative
in the Legislature from Hinesburg, and was justice of the peace in town.
Nathan STUART settled on a farm on the site of the
village, probably the same premises now occupied by Colburn PIERCE, and
afterward removed to the Center road, to the farm still later owned by
Dr. Elmer BEECHER. His descendants removed to Dorset street, now South
Burlington. Thaddeus and Abraham STUART lived in the west part of the town.
Lockwood MEAD settled about one and a half miles south
of the village, on the farm now owned and occupied by his grandson, Clark
MEAD. Lockwood's brother, Alpheus, settled about half a mile nearer the
village, on the farm now owned and occupied by his grandson, Oscar A. MEAD.
David WELLER settled on the exact geographical center
of the town, on land now intersected by the four corners.
Samuel DORWIN was born in Lanesboro, Mass., on the
16th of March, 1747, came to Hinesburg in 1787, settled about two miles
directly south from the village, and there died in 1800. His brother Amasa
came before 1800, but soon after left town. Thomas, another brother, came
in 1805 and died in 1810. His wife died of the epidemic of 1813.
David SPENCER lived in the first house east of the
present residence of Cicero G. PECK. Ebenezer STONE lived directly west
of the village, near the line of Charlotte.
Edmund and Orange BALDWIN, brothers, came from New
Milford, Conn., in February, 1797, and settled on the first division, of
which their father was proprietor, on the Center road, the latter opening
a store in the center of the town, where it was supposed that the future
village was to be. After a time he failed and thereafter devoted himself
to his trade, that of a carpenter. He died in New Haven, Vt. Edmund was
born in New Milford, Conn., July 6, 1774, and learned the trade of a tanner.
He was prominent in the affairs of the town. He was once elected a member
of the State Constitutional Convention, and twice a member of the General
Assembly. He was early appointed a justice of the peace, and acquired distinction
in trying cases. He was one of the founders of the Baptist Church in Hinesburg.
He died February 25, 1856, and has numerous descendants in town.
Amos LEONARD came to Hinesburg about 1788, from Worthington,
Mass., where he was born in 1767, and settled in the west part of the town.
He was by trade a carpenter. In February, 1799, he married Lucy, daughter
of Elisha MEECH. He accumulated a handsome property, and died in 1850,
aged eighty-three years. One of his two children, Harriet, widow of Heman
R. SMITH, still lives in town.
David BEACH came from New Milford, Conn., in 1788.
He was a Revolutionary soldier, serving first as recruiting sergeant and
afterwards as lieutenant.
John MILES, the father of Carleton and J. W. MILES,
came from New Milford, Conn., in 1802, and made his residence in the south
part of the town on the Center road. His first log house was erected right
in the forest, within reach of standing trees. He continued to reside in
Hinesburg until his death, in April, 1857, aged eighty-four years. He was
a devoted member of the Baptist Church, and a deacon thereof for many years.
The two principal practicing physicians now in town are the one a son,
and the other a grandson of Deacon MILES.
Erastus BOSTWICK was born in New Milford, Conn., August
31, 1767, and was bred to the trade of a carpenter. On the 24th of May,
1790, in company with Austin and Noble BOSTWICK, he started for Hinesburg,
with a pack on his back, and reached here on the first day of June. After
a journey to Jericho and Waterbury he returned to this town and hired himself
to Abel LEAVENWORTH for four months as a journeyman carpenter. At the expiration
of this time he returned to Connecticut on foot. In the winter of 1793
he came again to Hinesburg, and at once entered upon his business of building.
On the l0th of February, 1795, he married Sally, daughter of Rev. Whitman
WELCH, a minister who died at the siege of Quebec. Shortly after the return
of Mr. BOSTWICK with his wife he was elected first constable of Hinesburg,
and from that time to 1838 he was not for a year free from official duty,
holding every office in the gift of the town save that of grand juror.
He was town representative two years, postmaster nine years, justice of
the peace twenty-two years, town treasurer thirty-five years, and town
clerk forty years. He completed his history of Hinesburg at the age of
ninety-three years. He was long a member of the Congregational Church.
He died on the 3d of March, 1864, aged ninety-six years, six months, and
John PARTCH, born at Danbury, Conn., on the 29th of
September, 1780, came to Hinesburg with his parents in October, 1796. He
was for some time the oldest person in town, dying at the age of nearly
ninety-three years. In early life he worked at the carpenter's trade, but
later followed farming, and lived on the farm formerly occupied by Hezekiah
TUTTLE. During the War of 1812 he entered the army, and was stationed for
a time at BURLINGton. He has six children living, two sons and four daughters.
Deacon Noble L. PARTCH now lives in the second house north of the one his
Deacon Oliver POST came from West Hampton, Mass.,
in 1801, and located in the southeast part of the town, near the present
residence of Mrs. Susan RAY. He was a tanner, currier, and shoemaker by
trade, and was prominently connected with the affairs of the Congregational
Church. He served in the War of the Revolution, and at one time was stationed
in a fort on the Susquehanna River, near Wilkesbarre, Pa., for six months.
Of his family of seven children who came with him to this town, the youngest,
A. H. POST, died here May 3, 1881, aged nearly eighty-eight years. He represented
the town in 1856-57, including the extra session after the burning of the
State-house, procured the charter for the first cheese factory in town,
and for the present cemetery association, besides contributing largely
to the support of these enterprises. He was twice married, and had four
sons and two daughters.
Job PLACE, from Providence, R. I., came to Hinesburg
in 1789, locating upon the farm now owned by his grandson, S. C. PLACE.
His son, Harry J., married Miss Mary CLEMENT, and resided upon the old
homestead all his life. He had a family of eight sons, of whom S. C., A.
C., and W. W. are residents of the town.
Charles RUSSELL came from Washington county, N. Y.,
in 1795, and located upon the farm now owned by Noble R. MILLS. He was
twice married. By his first wife, Percival PERRY, he had two sons and a
daughter, and by his second wife, Huldah VIDETTO, he was blessed with three
daughters and one son. He died here in January, 1849. Perry, a son by his
first wife, married Hannah IRISH, of Charlotte, and located upon the farm
now owned by his widow. On the 3d of October, 1868, he was murdered by
Henry WELCOME, who subsequently suffered the penalty of his crime, being
hanged at Windsor, Vt., after acknowledging his guilt. Perry's son Elwood
now lives on the old homestead, with his mother, who is eighty-eight years
of age. He has one son, Charles, living at home.
Daniel Patrick came to Hinesburg from Fitzwilliam,
N. H., in 1797. His trade was that of manufacturing spinning-wheels, an
article then in great demand. During the season of 1797 he obtained a supply
of timber suitable for his purposes, and after placing it in a condition
to season, returned to New Hampshire to work up a quantity of lumber he
had left there. During the following spring he returned to Hinesburg and
resumed his business, boarding with the family of Lemuel BOSTWICK, who
then occupied the present site of Daniel PATRICK's residence. He continued
in the family of Mr. BOSTWICK until February, 1800, when he married Susannah
McCLEABE, of Lynn, N. H., and located upon the farm now owned by Mr. O’BRIAN.
During a long life of industry he succeeded in gaining a competence, and
in securing the respect of his townsmen, whom he served in many trusts.
During the War of 1812 he served a short time in the army, acting as lieutenant
of cavalry, and was present at the battle of Plattsburgh. He died on his
seventy-first birthday, November 6, 1843. Of his five children, three only
are now living, as follows Daniel, jr., Elizabeth (Mrs. Orran MURRAY),
and Rufus. He had also twenty-one grandchildren, seventeen of whom are
John BEECHER, a deacon of the Baptist Church in Hinesburg,
came from New Milford, Conn., in 1800, and located where Royal BELL recently
lived. He had a family of eight children, John, Lydia, Lyman, Austin, Rebecca,
Polly, Lucy, and Harvey. In 1816 he removed to Shoreham, Vt., where he
died at the age of seventy-four years. His widow returned to Hinesburg,
where she died, aged eighty-six years. The only representatives of the
family now in town are two grandsons, Dr. Elmer BEECHER and Harmon BEECHER.
OF THE TOWN
The meeting at which the organization of the town
was effected was warned by Isaac TICHENOR, of Bennington, and was held
at the house of Eliphaz STEELE, on the third Tuesday of March, 1787. Josiah
STEELE was chosen moderator; Elisha BARBER, town clerk; Elisha BARBER,
Geo. McEUEN and Eliphaz STEELE, selectmen; Jacob MEACHAM, constable; David
HILL, grand juror; Isaac LAWRENCE, lister; Elisha BARBER, Isaac LAWRENCE
and George McEUEN, surveyors of highways. Elisha BARBER was then and there
chosen to be recommended to the General Assembly as a justice of the peace,
and was accordingly appointed. The first representative, Lemuel BOSTWICK,
was not elected until 1789.
On the 24th of March, 1788, at a town meeting held
at the house of Elisha BARBER, it was voted to erect a public sign-post
near the house of David HILL. This was undoubtedly at the south end of
the village, not far from the present residence of W. J. DOUGLASS, though
David HILL did not occupy this exact site. The sign-post and whipping-post
stood at that end of the village until nearly 1840.
WAR OF 1812
The following company went from Hinesburg to serve
in the American forces during this memorable war:
Thomas M. DORWIN, Lyman DORWIN, Carlton M. ERWIN, Stedman H. WEIGHT, Caleb
HULL, jr., Bartemas STEARNS, Philo WRAY, John PARTCH, Bostwick LOCKWOOD,
Oliver WRAY, Wanton JOSLIN, Dared EDDY, Isaac CHURCH, Martin MEAD, Doctor
PARTCH, Elisha BOOTH, jr., Levi CANFIELD, Ezekiel SWEET, Nathan BROWN,
Daniel KING, David BRAND, Moses PELTON, Ephraim BISHOP, Sylvester KENYON,
William WELLS, jr., Daniel CONGAR, Henry HOWARD, Levi SWEET, Stephen BOYNTON,
Thomas CARPENTER, Enoch BAUCHORN, Calvin SPAULDING, Samuel BACHELOR, Bill
HAMILTON, Asa WELLS, Francis SPEAR, Stephen STODARD, Simon BAILEY.
Between the period of which we have spoken and the
end of the first quarter of the present century, many things happened which
would deserve record in a more detailed history of the town. The events
of the War of 1812, however, so far as they refer to the county, are set
forth in a chapter devoted to the subject, and need not be repeated at
this place. Hinesburg suffered considerably from the epidemic of 1813,
which carried away many victims, among them being, as before mentioned,
George McEUEN and Mrs. MILES. The next period of suffering occurred in
the summer of 1816 and continued until harvest-time in 1817. Every month
in 1816 had a frost, and nearly every month had a snow-fall; consequently
corn and most of the other crops were ruined, not enough being raised to
furnish seed the following spring. There was great suffering in the town,
county and State. Wealthy people were without bread for months. Jedediah
BOYNTON and William HURLBURT, merchants, kept a team on the road all the
time distributing rice to the sufferers, which they bought in Troy. They
distributed it in proportionate quantities and rendered justice to all,
thus alleviating the distress to a gratifying degree.
Notwithstanding these and other untoward events, the
town continued a healthy and steady growth. In 1825 the population contained,
for the most part, a different personnel than that of twenty-five years
earlier, though many of the old settlers were still active and prominent.
Erastus BOSTWICK was town clerk; Nathan LEAVENWORTH, Jared BYINGTON and
Erastus MEECH were selectmen; William F. MARSH, son of Dr. William B. MARSH,
was constable; Jedediah BOYNTON, William F. MARSH and Austin BEECHER were
listers; William B. MARSH and William HURLBURT, overseers of the poor,
and Lyman F. CLARK and Eli NORTON were grand jurors. Probably the most
prominent man then in town was Jedediah BOYNTON, who came here from Shelburne
in 1807, and established his residence on a beautiful eminence in the center
of the village, which he purchased of Elijah PECK. He erected a store on
the present site of the store of H. M. HULL, and was for years the most
prominent merchant in the vicinity, furnishing goods to the inhabitants
of Hinesburg and several of the surrounding towns. He was a man of great
enterprise, a kind neighbor, a liberal citizen, and generously devoted
to the growth, prosperity and honor of the town. He became the owner of
considerable land in and about the village, and disposed of building lots
on favorable terms to purchasers, and encouraged liberally all improvements
upon them by mechanics and others. About 1820, in company with Mitchell
HINSDILL, he opened the canal from Pond Brook to the north end of the village,
and built on it a factory for cotton and woolen goods, which added greatly
to the productive industry of the town. He made liberal donations for public
purposes. He gave deeds for the land occupied as a cemetery in the village,
for that occupied by the academy, and that occupied by the Baptist Church.
He died in 1848, aged seventy-four years.
Jared BYINGTON was at this time living about a mile
south of the village, and deserves mention as being the patentee and inventor
of the first steel pitchfork ever used in the United States. He also invented
a nail machine of value, but never had it patented.
Hinesburg village was smaller in 1825 than it is now,
though it was comparatively more active. Among the more prominent residents,
besides Mr. BOYNTON, was Nahum PECK, a sketch of whose life appears in
later pages of this work, and who at this time was a young man just entering
upon his professional career. Lyman CLARK lived on the site now occupied
by Dr. J. F. MILES, and was followed in that place by Rev. William ARTHUR,
father of ex-President Chester A. ARTHUR, who himself passed several of
his childhood years here. Lyman CLARK was a blacksmith, and worked in a
stone shop on the site of the present store of Louis SANCTUARY. Rev. Otto
S. HOYT then owned and occupied the Congregational parsonage, the same
building now used for the same purpose. The house now occupied by James
MINER was then standing, and occupied by William HURLBURT, partner of Jedediah
BOYNTON. BOYNTON & HURLBUT, then owned and operated a distillery and
a grist-mill about one and a half miles south of the village on Baldwin
Brook. F. W. BALDWIN, son of Edmund, owned and operated a tannery on his
father's farm, which he and his successors conducted prosperously until
recent years. Another tannery was operated on the north bank of La Plotte
River in the south part of the village, by Henry BENSON and Allen BEACH,
the former of whom resided over the tannery. The building still stands
there. Robert BEACH kept a tavern in the south part of the town, where
Edgar DEGREE now lives.
The village school was then kept in a two-story building
which had been erected in 1815, on the site occupied by the present new
structure, its successor. The old building was used for a school and as
a Masonic Hall until it was removed in 1885, and the present structure
erected. The old school-house now serves as a hall for the Grand Army Post
of this town.
John ALLEN then lived where his son of the same name
now lives, and kept a harness shop there, having moved from Main street,
in the village. Thomas GIBBS also had a harness shop in the north part
of the village. He built and occupied the house now used as the Baptist
parsonage. He was postmaster for a long time. Bateman STEARNS kept a hatter's
shop in the first house north of the present store of Leonard ANDREWS.
Another hatter's shop, kept by Eleazer MEAD, stood nearly opposite that
of STEARNS. - John WHEELOCK was a cabinet-maker and had a shop in the south
part of the village, near the present dwelling house of Mrs. Julia GAGE.
General Nathan LEAVENWORTH owned a saw-mill on the
place now occupied by Benjamin ADAMS, who operated it for him, and a saw
and grist-mill and clothing works on Lewis Creek, just over the line in
Charlotte. Nathaniel and Elijah Austin had a saw and grist-mill on Lewis
Creek about where the cheese factory now stands and near the site of the
old mill of Lemuel BOSTWICK. The AUSTINs also had a blacksmith shop and
kept a few goods for sale, such as tobacco and the articles that were purchased
frequently and in small quantities. Edmund CLARK, in 1825, was running
the clothing works established years before by Giles HARD, near the BALDWIN
Until the town hall was built, in 1840, town meetings
were held either in the Congregational Church or the school-house.
There was never but one store of any importance outside
of the village, and that was kept by Dr. William B. MARSH & Son. It
was a small concern in the south part of the town, but had considerable
Mechanicsville, or MURRAY & PATRICK's Corners,
as it was then called, was of the same manufacturing importance that it
is now, though the products of its factories were of a different kind.
In 1816 Colvin MURRAY, father of Orrin MURRAY, who was born in Williston,
June 1, 1800, came to this settlement with his family and erected a grist-mill
for custom work on the site of the present woolen-mill. In 1825 this mill
was operated by Orrin and David MURRAY, brothers. In 1822 Brigham C. WRIGHT
and Colvin MURRAY built a saw-mill at the outlet of Hinesburg Pond, and
ran it a number of years. Among the more prominent men then living in Mechanicsville
were Colvin, Orrin, David MURRAY, Daniel PATRICK and Truman AVERILL, the
last of whom manufactured chairs. MURRAY & PATRICK had a shop for turning
wheels in the frame of the old Bostwick mill, and in the same building
carried on the carding and dressing of cloth. Orrin MURRAY then lived on
the site of the house now occupied by Daniel PATRICK, jr. Daniel PATRICK
lived more than a mile east of Mechanicsville, on the Patrick farm, now
carried on by John O’BRIAN. Truman AVERILL lived on the site of the present
dwelling house of Isaiah DOW. (For a sketch of Isaiah DOW and his father,
see biographical sketches in the latter part of this volume.) These were
the most important industries the hamlet then possessed.
Such is the past of Hinesburg. Its present interests
are briefly enumerated below, with sketches giving an idea of their origin.
The Flanagan House occupies the site of the old tavern
of Elijah PECK, built before 1790. The present frame was erected by R.
W. POST, in 1860, since which time the town has not been without a good
hotel. Nathaniel MILES was one of its earliest proprietors, and was followed
successively by BALDWIN, BURRITT, CRANDALL, Lewis RAY and others. The present
proprietor, George W. FLANAGAN, succeeded Reuben WICKWARE on the 10th of
January, 1870. Mr. FLANAGAN keeps a good house, and has capacity for entertaining
sixty or seventy guests. The house that stood here in early days was a
favorite resting-place for drivers and passengers of the old stages.
The business now carried on by H. M. HULL and H. W.
FRASER, under the firm name of HULL & FRASER, has succeeded to the
oldest mercantile business now in the town. Elijah PECK kept a store on
this site and perhaps in the same building in the very beginning of this
century. A few years later BOYNTON & HURLBURT enlarged the business
and kept a store here for years. Meanwhile, in 1826, Marcus HULL, father
of H. M. HULL, started a store in the north end of the village, and after
a time succeeded to the trade of BOYNTON & HURLBURT. At his death in
April, 1873, H. M. HULL became proprietor of the business and carried on
the store in company with P. J. MURPHY several years, after which he was
alone until the present partnership was formed in the summer of 1885.
The building now occupied as a store by E. L. DOUGLASS
was erected by A. S. and G. D. WELLER in 1838, who kept store in it until
about 1855. The last occupant before Mr. DOUGLASS was P. J. MURPHY, after
whose departure the store was vacant until Mr. DOUGLASS came. Mr. DOUGLASS
began to trade at the north end of the village in 1878, and came to the
present building in 1880.
Leonard ANDREWS came from Shelburne, where he had
for several years been engaged in the mercantile business, in September,
1863, and began to trade in the same building that he now occupies.
Louis SANCTUARY has kept a shoe store in the village
about ten or twelve years, and carries a good assortment of goods.
The hardware trade of READ & PATRICK was established
about fifteen years ago by ALLEN & READ.
On Pond Brook, which contains excellent mill sites,
was erected the first mill. It is a small stream heading in Hinesburg Pond.
The outlet of the pond is at the south end, where a dam seven feet high
and three rods long is built, forming a good reservoir for the mills on
the stream below, which courses along in a general southwesterly direction.
It originally joined the La Plotte to the southwest of the village, but
now joins just west of it, as its course was changed by building a canal,
through which its waters are carried to the village, where they afford
a water power of sixteen feet head. From the pond to the bridge near Rufus
PATRICK's, the brook has a fall of about thirty feet, and from there, in
flowing three-quarters of a mile, it falls 250 feet, affording mill privileges
which are unexcelled. The lots containing the best of these mill sites
were purchased of the proprietors by Beriah MURRAY, of Claremont, N. H.,
a famous hunter, who probably became acquainted with the spot on some of
his excursions in search of game. He never located here himself, but sold
the property to Lemuel BOSTWICK, and became an early settler in Williston.
In 1791 Mr. BOSTWICK, in company with Daniel SHERMAN, erected a saw-mill
just above the site now occupied by Daniel PATRICK's mill, the first built
in the town. It was a cheap affair, and lasted but a short time. In 1793
Mr. BOSTWICK erected a grist-mill just above the shop now occupied by John
EDWIN. It was a two-story structure. Some time between 1793 and 1800 Mr.
BOSTWICK built a carding-mill on the site now occupied by the grist-mill.
It was a matter of no small importance to the inhabitants, as previous
to this all their carding had to be done by hand, or taken to Vergennes.
About this time Joseph WILCOX built a saw-mill thirty or forty rods below,
where the rocks formed a sort of natural dam, affording a head of eight
or ten feet. About 1801 Mr. BOSTWICK, in company with Messrs. ELDRIDGE
and PECK, built a saw-mill a little to the northwest of the site now occupied
by L. MURRAY's excelsior-mill. In 1812 the bearings to the grist-mill wheel
again were ground off and it stopped.
In 1814 Thomas WILCOX rebuilt the John WILCOX mill,
and during the following year sold it to Colvin, Celah and Allen MURRAY,
and Harmon ANGER. Colvin MURRAY bought out Lemuel BOSTWICK, and Brigham
WRIGHT ran the cardingmill for him that year. In 1816 MURRAY built a grist-mill
where the factory now stands, the wall on a part of the south and west
side being the same then built. Brigham WRIGHT bought out Celah and Allen
MURRAY and ANGER. The carding-mill and the BOSTWICK, ELDRIDGE & PECK
saw-mill, being in ruinous condition, were taken down and the carding-machines
stored in a barn. In 1817 Captain BACON built a wood-working shop midway
between the two bridges, on a little brook that runs into the grist-mill
pond, and in 1820 BOYNTON & HURLBURT put a "still" into this shop and
manufactured liquor for several years thereafter. During this year BOYNTON
& HURLBURT built the factory at the village which is now called the
skating rink. In 1820 Abijah LAKE put a set of carding-machines into the
old grist-mill. In 1821 B. WRIGHT took down his saw-mill and removed it
to the site of the mill which burned.
During the year 1822 Samuel HURLBURT built a saw-mill
just south of the present grist-mill. In 1823 Orrin MURRAY and John S.
PATRICK formed a partnership, and finally came into possession of all of
Colvin MURRAY's property on the stream, and continued the cloth-dressing
business after MURRAY's engagement with WRIGHT closed. During the year
1824 MURRAY & PATRICK bought B. WRIGHT's saw-mill, thus coming into
possession of the pond. Colvin MURRAY had built a dam at the outlet so
as to hold the water back for his grist-mill years before. In 1827 MURRAY
& PATRICK bought out WILEY & LAKE, WILEY taking the present grist-mill
privilege in part payment, and, in company with L. F. CLARK, built a large
blacksmith shop, which they sold during the following year to Elanson LYON,
who added a wagon shop. In 1829 MURRAY & PATRICK built the shop occupied
by J. EDWIN for their carding and cloth-dressing business. In 1830 they
commenced manufacturing cloth, with two power looms. In 1831 Lyman HUNTINGTON
erected a tannery on a little brook near the present residence of Joseph
BISSONNETT, whose house was then used for a bark and finishing shop.
In 1832 LYON's shops were destroyed by fire, and Rufus
PATRICK and Loren MURRAY built the foundry where it now stands, and also
bought the old carding-mill of MURRAY & PATRICK for a shop. In 1833
the trestle-work that had served the old Bostwick mill as a foundation
gave way. The machinery was taken out and the building used as a store-house,
and a portion of it as a machine shop. Rufus PATRICK and Mr. MURRAY commenced
the manufacture of plows, laying the foundation for D. K. PATRICK's business.
In 1835 Clark WHITEHORN purchased a site just below
Rufus PATRICK's shop, where he established a small carding and cloth-dressing-mill.
In 1840 Clark WHITEHORN built the factory now known as the F. F. LYMAN
factory, and put into it two sets of carding-machines, using his old building
as a dry-house. During 1842 MURRAY & PATRICK purchased the factory
building of Colvin and Loren MURRAY, and moved their machinery into it,
and also built another set; they also moved their machine shop to the factory.
In December, 1844, MURRAY & PATRICK's factory burned down, the fire
originating in the carding-room. During the following year they re-erected
their factory upon its present site, and removed the grist-mill, converting
it into a dwelling. Mr. HULL built a potato starch-mill also during this
year, between L. MURRAY's mill and the road, a part of the foundations
of which still remains. In 1847 L. MURRAY sold his carding and cloth-dressing
business to E. HOADLEY, who added to it the manufacture of cheese-boxes.
In 1848 B. & H. BOYNTON failed and the factory
at the village ceased operations, and was opened the following year by
David FRAZIER. In 1850 Rufus PATRICK built the shop now occupied by D.
K. PATRICK. In 1851 MURRAY & PATRICK closed up their factory business,
and the property passed into the hands of J. & J. F. PECK, of Burlington.
In 1853 Daniel and Rufus PATRICK, Herman MURRAY, Walter ABBOTT, and Morton
CROSSMAN built the grist-mill now owned by Russel CARY. In 1854 MURRAY
& PATRICK built a saw-mill where the old Bostwick mill had stood. In
1855 Loren MURRAY commenced the manufacture of cheese-boxes in the carding-mill.
In 1857 MURRAY & PATRICK dissolved partnership, PATRICK retaining the
mill property and most of the farm. In 1859 A. D. ROOD and W. K. PATRICK
bought J. S. PATRICK's machine shop and continued the machinist and millwright
business. In 1863 C. C. & H. POST bought the starch-mill property,
took down the old saw and starch-mills, and built the shop now occupied
by L. MURRAY, starting the business of manufacturing sap buckets and pails.
In 1865 Mr. MURRAY purchased the property, and subsequently commenced the
manufacture of excelsior, being still in the business.
The Hinesburg Woolen Mill was purchased in the spring
of 1856 by Andrew DOW, Nelson M. NAY and Isaiah DOW, who then began the
manufacture of woolen goods. They and their successors have conducted this
manufacture with varying degrees of success until the present time. It
is now considered the best equipped mill of its size in the State. For
a more detailed sketch of the concern, see biographical sketch of Isaiah
DOW in later pages.
The grist-mill at Mechanicsville, now owned and operated
by Russell COREY, was built by MURRAY & PATRICK and Daniel PATRICK
in 1852 or 1853, who ran it for several years and sold out to Russell WELLS.
The present owner succeeded Samuel FLETCHER several years ago.
The Valley Cheese Factory was established by a stock
company in 1866. It is now owned by C. G. PECK, Herman POST, the estate
of Frederick MAECK, Albert RAY and Eli BROWNSON. While this was the only
factory in town it used the milk from about 1,000 cows, but other factories
in this and neighboring towns have reduced its business to some extent,
though it now turns out an excellent quality. It uses the milk of about
The Union Cheese Factory was also started by a stock
company in 1871, and is now owned by Daniel J. WALSTON.
Charles MURRAY's excelsior manufactory, on Pond Brook,
was commenced in 1873 by its present proprietor. He employs two or three
men and manufactures about one hundred tons of excelsior per annum, using
basswood and poplar.
PATRICK's butter-tub and cheese-box manufactory and
saw and cider-mill was established by R. PATRICK & Sons in 1868. The
works now employ from three to six men, who manufacture 5,000 feet of lumber
a day, 3,000 butter-tubs and 12,000 cheese-boxes per annum, while the cider-mill
has the capacity for making sixty barrels of cider per diem.
iron foundry, at Mechanicsville, was built in 1832 by Rufus PATRICK, and
operated by him until 1876, when he was succeeded by his son, D. K. PATRICK,
who still carries on the business, manufacturing agricultural implements,
and employing two or three men.
The first physician to practice in Hinesburg, after
Mrs. George McEUEN, was William B. MARSH, who was born in Windham, Conn.,
May 23, 1769. He came to Hinesburg in 1788 to practice, then a boy of nineteen
years. In 1792 he married Esther HOLCOMB, a native of Canaan, Conn., who
had come with her parents to Starksboro two years before. Besides his eminent
success in his professional life, he was an active citizen and shared largely
in the confidence and good will of his townsmen. He was chosen three times
to the Legislature, and filled other offices of trust to the satisfaction
of his constituents. He died December 2, 1827. His residence was less than
a mile directly south of the village. Dr. Sylvester CHURCH, who lived on
the same road farther south, came here in 1811, and died in 1812. Dr. George
DUDLEY, father of Mrs. Dr. BEECHER, came early from New Hampshire, and
boarded in the village until he built the house in which Dr. J. W. MILES
now lives, about 1820. He died in 1822. Dr. Daniel GOODYEAR came from Cornwall
in 1816, and occupied the brick house in the village now occupied by his
granddaughter, Enima BOYNTON. He died about 1877, aged eighty-seven years.
Dr. David C. DEMING lived a few years where John GILBERT now resides. About
1833 he went to Michigan. Dr. John WORK also practiced a short time in
town, having his residence in the village. He left town about 1838. Dr.
Hugh TAGGART studied and lived about half a mile west of the village. He
died in Shelburne a few years ago. Hector TAYLOR is also one of the physicians
of the past. Dr. Carleton E. MILES was a brother of Dr. J. W. MILES, and
lived in the house now occupied by Dr. J. F. MILES, afterward building
a house in the north end of the village. He died in 1848.
The oldest physician now in town, though he has not
for years engaged actively in the practice of his profession, is Dr. Elmer
BEECHER, who was born on the place now occupied by his cousin, Harmon A.
BEECHER, about half a mile north of the village, on the l0th of June, 1811.
In 1813 his father, Lyman BEECHER, removed to the south part of the town
on the Center road. He studied medicine with Dr. GOODYEAR, and took a full
course at the Castleton Medical College, receiving his diploma in June,
1835. After a year or two spent at Havana, N. Y., he began to practice
in Shelburne, Vt., where he served as town clerk for a time. In March,
1840, he came back to his father's farm, where he remained until 1860.
He then took up his residence in the village. He has not practiced actively
for a number of years. He was elected to the offices of town clerk and
town treasurer every year from 1865 to 1880 inclusive, and was two years
in the Senate of the State, in 1860 and 1861, a contemporary with Senator
EDMUNDS. He was first married in 1836 to Ruth DORWIN, who died June 9,
1839, and a second time to his present wife, Emeline DUDLEY, June 16, 1842.
J. W. MILES, son of John MILES, was born in Hinesburg on the 14th of April,
1812, and was educated in the schools of his native town and the Williston
Academy. He studied medicine with his brother Carleton, and was graduated
from the Woodstock Medical College in 1839. Excepting the first six months,
when he had an office in Monkton, he has practiced in Hinesburg.
Dr. J. F. MILES, son of Nathaniel MILES, was born
in Hinesburg on the 2d of January, 182o, and studied medicine with his
uncle, Carleton E. MILES. In 1839 he attended a course of lectures at Woodstock,
and in 1843 at Castleton, but was not graduated from either institution
at that time. He practiced, however, until he received his diploma in 1860,
and afterwards received another from Dartmouth College. He has always practiced
in Hinesburg, excepting the first three months, when he lived in Williston.
Dr. E. B. WHITAKER was born on the 29th of December,
1845, in Bethel, Vt., and received his medical education at New York and
at Cleveland, Ohio, graduating from the New York Homceopathic Medical College
on the 1st of March, 1868. He came at once to Mechanicsville to practice.
Dr. Charles J. RUSSELL was born on the 31st of March,
1859, in Bridport, Vt., and received an academical education at New Haven
and in the Normal School at Castleton. He received his medical education
in Howard University at Washington, D. C., from which he received his diploma
on the 6th of April, 1883. He was a resident student in the hospital at
Washington for a time, and after a few months in Monkton came to Hinesburg
in July, 1884.
Hinesburg has not for some years afforded very great
encouragement for the residence of attorneys. The only names of those who
have resided here as members of the Chittenden county bar are Nahum PECK,
John M. ELDREDGE, John E. McVINE, Joseph ADAMS, Mitchell HINSDILL, Newell
LYON, Elisha F. MEAD, and Edward VANSICKLIN. Most of these were residents
of the town for only a short period.
John M. ELDREDGE, the first attorney in town, was
very prominent. He removed to Burlington about 1835. While here he built
and occupied the house in the south part of the village now owned by Mrs.
THOMPSON, of Burlington.
For a sketch of Nahum PECK see sketch of C. G. PECK,
in the latter part of this volume. There are no attorneys now in town.
Following are the officers elected at the annual March
meeting in Hinesburg for the year 1886: Dr. J. F. MILES, clerk and treasurer;
W. R. PATRICK, Andrew SOMERS, and S. W. PIERCE, selectmen; G. D. BOYNTON,
constable; Daniel PATRICK, 2d, overseer and poor-farm director; Guy D.
BOYNTON, RUSSELL A. COREY, and Dr. Elmer BEECHER, assessors; H. M. PAGE,
E. W. Whitaker, and F. W. PERREY, auditors; Dr. J. F. MILES, trustee of
the surplus money; Frederick MAECK, R. WICKWARE, and Charles LIVERMORE,
fence viewers; Andrew CURRY and Joseph LANDON, town grand jurors; William
SANCTUARY, inspector of leather; O. H. WRIGHT, pound-keeper; C. F. MEAD,
inspector of wood and lumber; Elmwood RUSSELL, agent to prosecute suits;
J. H. ALLEN, Jacob ROOD, Charles H. WEED, C. F. MEAD, S. C. RAY, grand
jurors to the County Court; George R. RAY, Josiah BARKER, Frank PERRY,
street commissioners; A. H. WEED and M. J. FINNEY, school directors.
The first Postmaster in Hinesburg was Erastus BOSTWICK,
who received his appointment June 7, 1803, and served until March 31, 1812,
when he was succeeded by Mitchell HINSDILL. Samuel HURLBURT followed HINSDILL,
and in 1829 was followed by Thomas W. GIBB, who retained the office until
1853. From 1854 to 1857 Edward W. GIBB was Postmaster, and was then succeeded
by Marvin LEONARD, who was himself followed by Nathaniel MILES. In 1865
Leonard ANDREWS was appointed, and remained in service until January, 1886,
when the present incumbent, A. H. WEED, succeeded him.
The people of the town have always given much attention
to the means of education and general instruction. Common schools were
established at an early day in every neighborhood. For years, and until
the recent adoption of the town system, there were thirteen districts in
the town, and now thirteen schools are maintained as before.
The Congregational Church in Hinesburg was organized
on May 20, 1789, in the very infancy of the settlement of the town, and
only two years subsequent to its first town meeting. The church was organized
by the Rev. Nathan PERKINS, laboring under the direction of a missionary
society in Connecticut, and consisted at first of the following members:
Josiah STEELE and his wife, Eliphaz STEELE from the church in West Hartford,
Conn., Nathan STEVENS, Eleazur SPRAGUE and his wife, Elisha BARBER and
his wife, Samuel DORWIN and his wife from the church in Lanesboro, Mass.,
and Thankful STEWART, received by profession of faith. Josiah STEELE was
chosen the first deacon. In 1791, February 23, the Rev. Reuben PARMALEE,
from Connecticut, was ordained the first pastor of the church. He was dismissed
by advice of an ecclesiastical council October 9, 1794. From this time
to the spring of 1818, the church had only occasional preaching and administration
of its ordinances.
Probably the most prominent pastor of the church in
its early history was Rev. Otto S. HOYT, who was ordained pastor September
29, 1818, was dismissed February 23, 1829, reinstated February 29, 1838,
and finally dismissed April 18, 1854. The first church edifice was built
of wood in 1800, and did service until 1837, when the present brick house
was erected at a cost of about $6,000, nearly twice its present value.
It will seat 300 persons. A Sabbath-school was established about 1826.
The present pastor of the church, Rev. A. C. FIELD, came to Hinesburg in
December, 1800. The present membership of the church is about eighty-seven.
The officers now are Henry PAGE and Noble PARTCH, deacons; Joseph LANDON,
clerk and treasurer of the society; and Henry PAGE, Sabbath-school superintendent.
The average attendance at Sabbath-school is about eighty.
A Methodist Episcopal class was formed here in 1799,
consisting of six or seven members. They were well supplied with circuit
preachers in early days, and with regular pastors in later times. Among
the most prominent of their earliest members may be mentioned Alpheus and
Lockwood MEAD, David NORTON and Jared BYINGTON. Their house of worship
was erected in 1837, and repaired in 1858, and has undergone necessary
changes since then. The society also owns a convenient parsonage in the
central part of the village. The present pastor, Rev. George KERR, succeeded
Rev. E. L. WALKER in May, 1885. The membership of the church is now a little
more than 100. The church property is valued at about $7,500, including
the parsonage. The average attendance at Sabbath-school is about forty.
The superintendent is Newell CLIFFORD. The present officers of the church
are: Stewards, Elmwood RUSSELL, Noble MILES, C. G. PECK, Orson KENYON,
Alexander FRASER, Perry MILES, Jerome COLEMAN, Charles RUSSELL, Henry RUSSELL,
George LEONARD and Ransom PIERCE. The class-leader is Charles COLEMAN.
The Baptist Church in Hinesburg was organized May
10, 18 The council assisting was called by the church in Monkton, and consisted
of delegates from the churches in Cornwall, Bridport, New Haven and Charlotte.
Elder Henry GREEN, of Cornwall, was moderator, and Elder STARKWEATHER clerk.
Eighteen members united in the organization of the church, viz.: John BEECHER
and his wife Lydia, Asa MOON and his wife Hannah, John MILES and his wife
Mary Ann, John BEECHER, jr., and his wife Clarissa, Elisha BOOTH and his
wife Elizabeth, Stephen POST and his wife Hannah, Amos DIKE, Mercy McEUEN,
Anna WILLARD, Rhoda BOSTWICK, Hulda E. BOOTH, Lydia ANDREWS. The church
has had the services of a large number of different preachers, most of
whom have served it for only a few years.
Of the early pastors Rev. Peter CHASE was the most
prominent. Other pastors were Revs. Ephraim BUTLER, Alanson COVILL, Sylvester
S. PARR, John IDE, William ARTHUR [Father of ex-President Chester A. Arthur.],
Amasa BROWN, W. G. JOHNSON, A. H. STOWELL, M. G. HODGE, William S. PICKNELL,
Archibald WAIT, Truman GREGORY, Reuben SAWYER, Ira D. BURWELL, who was
here about eleven years, and the present pastor, Rev. A. S. GILBERT, who
came here in May, 1878.
The present membership of the church numbers about
eighty-six persons, while the average attendance at Sabbath-school is about
forty-seven, the superintendent being J. H. ALLEN. The estimated value
of the church property is $4,000. The present officers of the church are
H. A. BEECHER and William SANCTUARY, deacons, and Miss Mary A MILES, clerk.
The house of worship was erected in 1826.
of Chittenden County, Vermont
and Biographical Sketches
of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers
By W. S. Rann, Syracuse, N. Y.
& Co., Publishers, 1886
by Karima Allison ~ 2004
section of Hamilton Child's "Gazetteer and Business Directory of
Chittenden County, Vt. For 1882-83."