OF THE TOWN OF MILTON
THE town of Milton, situated on the eastern shore of Lake Champlain,
is in the northwestern corner of Chittenden county, and is bounded north
by Georgia in Franklin county, east by Westford, south by Colchester, and
west by Lake Champlain. Its name is supposed to have been given to it in
honor of the blind author of “Paradise Lost,” as many of the towns in New
England and throughout the east were named from English originals before
the separation of the colonies from the mother country. The charter of
the town was granted by Governor Benning WENTWORTH, of New Hampshire, on
the 8th of June, 1763, to the following grantees: Samuel ROGERS, James
WILMOTT, jr., Isaac SILVESTER, Isaac ROGERS, Josh. B____, Josh. KIRKBIRD,
Wm. PROCTOR, Alex. MOORE, Peter CONE, John IMLAY, Josh. HAVILAND, James
HAVILAND, Tim McCARTY, Carden LEE, Samuel DODGE, John BURROUGHS, James
BURROUGHS, Wm. BURROUGHS, Wm. POPPLERDORF, jr., josh. ZABRISKER, John ZABRISKER,
Richard CORNWALL, Daniel BATES, Thomas LISCUM, Wm. SMITH, Wm. SMITH, jr.,
Jacob SMITH, Thomas WILLETT, John WILLETT. Ralph William MILLER, Josh.
ROYAL, Benj. LINTOTT, William FERGUHER, Richard SHARP, Richard EVANS, Samuel
KEMBLE, Michael DUFF, Paul MILLER, Paul MILLER, jr., Christopher MILLER,
Thomas SHREAVE, Philip FRENCH, Philip FRENCH, jr., Adolphus FRENCH, Henry
FRANKLIN, Benjamin UNDERHILL, David BUCKLEY, Benjamin BLAGGE, John BOGIE,
John GIFFORD, John GIFFORD, jr., George WOOD, John TURNER, John TURNER,
jr., Alexander BAKER, Joshua HUCKINS, Henry DICKENSON, Hon. Richard WILBIRD,
John DOWNING, esq., Daniel WARNER, esq., Samuel EMERSON, jr., Major Richmond
The town was not settled, so far as can be learned, until after
the worst of the War of the Revolution was over, though undoubtedly proceedings
were taken to encourage immigration soon after the granting of the charter,
as the land could not be much increased in value until some improvements
were made. Even the records of the proceedings of the proprietors previous
to the Revolution are lost, however, and it will therefore never be known
what line of policy they at first pursued. The first meeting of which a
record has been kept was held at the house of Nathaniel MALLORY, at Middletown,
in Rutland county, on the 2d of August, 1786, at which Augustin UNDERHILL
was chosen moderator, Nathaniel SMITH proprietors' clerk, and James EVERTS
clerk pro tem. At an adjourned meeting held at the same place on the 5th
of that month it was voted that the proceedings of the committee in "lotting
out" the first division lots in Milton be accepted, together with the bill
of costs presented for their labor. A tax of one pound and tin shillings
was laid upon each proprietary right to defray these expenses, and Nathaniel
SMITH was chosen collector thereof, while Nathaniel MALLORY was elected
treasurer. At this meeting Abdial WEBSTER and George ALFORD were appointed
a committee to make a division of the first lots, and prepare a draft of
this division. On the 4th of September, at the same place, it was voted
that the proprietors have the "priviledge" of "repiching" their home lots
at their own expense on or before the 15th of June next.
The earliest evidence of an attempt to attract settlers by offers
of unusual privileges appears in the record of a meeting held at the same
place as wire the foregoing, on Monday, the 14th of November, 1786, when
the following vote was passed:
On the 2d of May, 1788, Noah SMITH, J. P., published a warning for
a meeting to be held on the 25th of June, at the house of Colonel Stephen
KEYS, at Manchester, Vt. At that time and place Noah SMITH was chosen moderator
and Amos MANSFIELD clerk. It was voted to make a second, third and fourth
division of the undivided land in Milton, reserving five acres out of each
one hundred acres for public highways. Amos MANSFIELD was appointed to
allot and survey these divisions, and was to receive four dollars on each
right actually surveyed. On the first Monday of May, 1789, the first proprietors'
meeting in Milton was held at the house of William IRISH, when Aaron MATHEWS
was made moderator. On the 3d of July, 1789, a number of the settlers having
settled on lots comprised in the rights of another owner, whose title was
recognized by the proprietor., were excluded from the liberty of lawfully
possessing their pitches. Another vote of greater interest, because it
reveals the name of the enterprising man who first erected a grist and
saw-mill in Milton, and enables us to place a just estimate upon his worth
in early days, reads substantially as follows: Voted to make an allowance
to the person who has built the first grist and saw-mill in said town;
that No. 4 in the second division be allowed to Amos MANSFIELD, and that
No. 5 and 33 in the second division and No. 63 in the third division be
allowed and granted to the above said Amos MANSFIELD for his services in
building the above said grist-mill and saw-mill. From all that can be gathered,
it appears that these mills were situated a short distance northwest from
the site of Checkerberry village, and were transferred to William WOODS
about the year 1800. Amos MANSFIELD died a short time before the year 1798,
leaving Amos, j r., Alpheus, Nathan and Theophilus MANSFIELD and John JACKSON
heirs of his property. He was buried in the town of Georgia, it seems,
and probably lived not far from the line of that town.
and Theodore NEWEL have full liberty to Lay out and Possess twenty acres
of Land on the Second Division to any Right that they Shall hold by virtue
of a good title in the Most Convenient Place for erecting a Sawmill on
Condition of their Building or Causing to be built on Said Land Good Saw
mill in two years from this day and to be kept in Good Repair for the term
of tin Years after build other wise they are not to Receive any Benefit
from this Vote."
Such were some of the proceedings of the proprietors of the town
before it was thickly settled. No reason can be given for the tardiness
of its settlement, for it was calculated by nature to attract to its shores
and fields and unsurpassed water privileges -- the best of pioneer thrift
and energy. The surface, though rather uneven, is not so rugged as to render
cultivation unprofitable. The eastern part of the town is elevated some
two or three hundred feet above the general level of the other portions,
affording many excellent views of the lake and the country that bounds
it. A sand bar leading from the southwestern part of the town to South
Hero, in Grand Isle county, renders the lake fordable between the two towns
a great part of the year. In 1849-50 a toll-bridge was built across this
bar at a cost of $25,000, making communication at all times possible. The
principal elevations in town are Cobble Hill in the southern, and Rattlesnake
Hill, in the northern part, with altitudes of about 800 or 1,000 feet each.
The largest stream is Lamoille River, which takes a sinuous course through
the town from northeast to southwest, and has many tributaries. These,
with several smaller streams which discharge their waters into Lake Champlain,
provide many fine mill privileges and sufficiently irrigate the soil. Two
ponds in town are also worthy of mention -- Long Pond, in the northwestern
part, about a mile in length and from twenty to sixty rods in width, and
Round Pond, a little to the east of it, and about half its size. The soil
of the town is of the best, varying in different places from the stiffest
clay to fine productive alluvium, yielding abundant crops of wheat, oats,
rye, buckwheat, Indian corn, etc.
Milton was first settled by William IRISH, Leonard OWEN, Amos MANSFIELD,
Absalom TAYLOR and Thomas DEWEY, in February, 1782. IRISH located on what
was afterwards the old stage road, in the east part of the town (which
for convenience we will designate as the east road). After the road was
opened, his house was some distance back from it. He died early in the
century. The land is now owned, though not occupied, by John McINTYRE,
and is known as the CARY place.
Leonard OWEN settled several miles south of the site of Checkerberry,
on the place now occupied by Eli NELSON. The farm was originally a large
one, but has suffered many subdivisions. Mr. OWEN died early in the century.
Absalom TAYLOR lived at the lower falls, on the farm now owned by
Charles OSGOOD. He died towards the middle of the century at the home of
his son, in Canada.
Thomas DEWEY was the eldest son of Major Zebediah DEWEY, of Poultney,
Vt., who took an active part in the battle of Hubbardton, and probably
also in the battle of Bennington. Major DEWEY was born in Barrington, Mass.,
in 1726, and was probably descended from one of the proprietors of Poultney.
He was a great lover of hunting. He died at Poultney on the 28th of October,
1804. Thomas married an ASHLEY, and moved to Milton on the 15th of February,
1782, settling on the farm now owned by Mrs. Lucretia B. WITTERS, about
one and a half miles south of Milton Falls. He was soon followed by his
brothers Zebediah and Azariah, and three sisters -- Beulah, wife of Elisha
ASHLEY, Anna, wife of Samuel MURDOCK, and Keziah, wife of Warren HILL and
grandmother of Mrs. WITTERS. Zebediah DEWEY settled on the farm on the
corner just east of the village, on the old stage road, now the property
of Jed P. CLARK. The two brothers took a prominent part in the improvements
of the town when they came, and were respected by their townsmen. They
both died of the epidemic of 1813; Thomas in January and Zebediah on the
16th of April. Many of their descendants still reside in Milton, though
there is none by the name of DEWEY.
Gideon HOXIE was born at Richmond, R. I., on the 9th of September,
1759, and came very early to Milton, settling on the farm which still bears
his name, on the east road, now occupied by Eli HOLBROOK. He is best remembered
for his services as town clerk, a position which he filled with credit
from 1797 to the day of his death, June 14, 1836. His son Stephen became
his successor in this office.
Enoch and Elisha ASHLEY, brothers, came to Milton in 1784, the former
locating on a tract of land on the east road, which includes the farm now
owned by Edward W. ALLEN, and the latter east of Milton Falls, on the corner
of the east and west and north and south roads. Enoch, who served as first
town clerk, remained here until 1820, when he removed to Western New York,
the place of his death. His son Beaman was born in Poultney in 1784, came
here with his father, married Lucy PRENTISS and had a family of ten children,
five of whom are now living. He died in September, 1852. His widow survived
him until 1885, when she died at the age of ninety-seven years. Elisha,
as before stated, married Beulah DEWEY and reared a family of twelve children,
who are now represented in town by five descendants. Elisha ASHLEY built
and for years kept a tavern in the house now owned by Rev. John H. WOODWARD.
Isaac DRURY came from Pittsford, Vt., in 1782, and settled about
a mile southeast from Checkerberry, on a by-road. Here he was a long time
engaged in the lumber business, in the manufacture of potash, and in general
mercantile business. He died in 1825, leaving seven children.
David AUSTIN came from Rhode Island to Milton in the fall of 1786,
with his brother Joseph, and established himself in the east part of the
town, on the farm now owned by Heman ALLEN. In 1788 he walked back to Rhode
Island, and in the following spring brought his family to their new home
in the wilderness. He died in 1813, leaving a family of twelve children.
His grandson, A. N. AUSTIN, is now proprietor of the AUSTIN House, at Milton
Falls. Joseph died in 1838, leaving a family of five children.
Nathan CASWELL was one of the earliest settlers, coming from Connecticut
and locating in the northeast part of the town, on the farm now owned by
Abram RUGG. His son Solomon, who came with him, was born in Connecticut
on the 5th of December, 1763, and died in this town February 16, 1845.
He was three times married and had a family of seven children, one of whom,
Horace, was born on the 30th of April, 1813, on the farm which he now occupies.
Daniel MEEKER, from New Jersey, settled in the southeast part of
the town, on the farm now owned by his son, Daniel S., in 1788, the farm
having been given him by his wife's uncle, Isaac TICHENOR, the second governor
of Vermont, and upon which Daniel resided until his death, in 1844. He
was a blacksmith. He was married twice and had a family of eighteen children,
of whom Daniel S. is the only one now living in town.
Aaron and John SWAN came from New Hampshire to Milton in 1790, and
settled in the northeastern part of the town, in that vicinity known as
"Hardscrabble." After living with his brother for several years, John removed
to Ohio. Aaron married Azuba BULLARD, raised a family of nine children,
and died on the 26th of February, 1826, aged fifty-four years. His wife
died in 1868, aged ninety-one years. His only surviving son, Riley, is
now a retired farmer, whose son, Charles L., carries on a large farm.
John BEAN, from Goffstown, N. H., was an early settler in Burlington,
and afterwards removed to Milton, settling about four miles northwest from
the falls, on the farm now in the possession of his grandson, Joseph, where
he died about 1840.
John SANDERSON, from Whately, Mass., settled early on a piece of
land now off the road, about one and a half miles northwest from the falls,
a part of the land now cultivated by Anson WHEELOCK. Hiram SANDERSON came
about the same time, and was drafted into service at the time of the battle
of PLATTsburgh. He was a blacksmith and plied his trade at what is now
called Milton Falls.
Hawley WITTERS was an early settler in Georgia, whither he came
about 1790. He worked in earlier days with Ethan ALLEN, and was with that
hero when the latter died. His son Horace afterward settled in this town,
and married Clarissa BASFORD, had a family of four children, and died August
26, 1878, about six weeks after the death of his wife.
John JACKSON came from Weybridge, Vt., in 1794, and settled in the
western part of the town on the place now in the hands of his grandson,
Lucius A. JACKSON. He died before 1830.
Jonathan WOODS came from Goffstown, N. H., previous to 1800, and
passed the greater part of his life on the farm in the west part of the
town, now occupied by his grandson, Henry L. WOODS.
Asa NEWELL also came before 1800, and located near the Colchester
line, on the farm now owned and occupied by his grandson, L. N. SMITH.
He had a family of nine children, and his descendants are quite numerous
in Milton. He died previous to 1830.
Mark WATSON made Milton his home about the year 1800, coming from
New Hampshire and locating on the place in the southwestern part of the
town called Camp Watson. Here he remained until his death, soon after 1830.
His son David was born in 1803, and remained on the old place until his
death, August 22, 1878, leaving his widow and son in possession of the
Seth RICE, from Hardwick, Mass., came to Georgia, Vt., after 1790,
and about 1793 removed to the western part of Milton, on the farm now owned
by Jeremiah FLINN. He married Mary HAMMOND, raised a family of six children,
and died June 2, 1859.
John MEARS was an early settler in this town, immigrating hither
in the latter part of the last century, and locating in the west part of
the town on the farm now owned by his grandson, Rodney B. MEARS. He had
a family of five sons and four daughters. He died at an advanced age, on
the 8th of February, 1860.
Isaac BLAKE was born at Strafford, Vt., February 3, 1781, and settled,
about the year 1880, in the west part of the town, on the farm now owned,
though not personally occupied, by Jeremiah FLINN. He married Phebe LADD,
had a family of four sons and three daughters, and died on the 25th of
May, 1870. His wife died in 1826.
William POWELL, a soldier of the Revolution, located just before
1800 about three-fourths of a mile south of Milton Falls, on the land now
forming part of the property of Jed P. CLARK.
Amos IVES settled about the year 1800 near the old farm of Jonathan
WOODS, in the west part of the town. He came from Wallingford, Conn., and
was of the same family of IVES that settled in the town of Wallingford,
Vt. He died in 1867 at the age of eighty-nine years. His grandson, Charles
LADD, is now a merchant at Milton Falls.
Warren HILL came from Poultney, Vt., in 1804 to Milton Falls, and
by industry and gradual acquisitions became owner of all the water power
in that village, which he sold to Joseph CLARK in 1835. He died in 1854.
Mrs. Lucretia WITTERS is his granddaughter.
Among other early settlers may be named the MANSFIELDs, who were
very numerous here in early days, but who seem to have entirely disappeared
from the town. Amos MANSFIELD has already been mentioned as one of the
most enterprising of the first residents of the town, and from all records
was owner of a large estate. Theophilus MANSFIELD was an early lawyer in
the village, and removed to Georgia; Alpheus MANSFIELD was one of the first
wheelwrights in the village of Milton Falls. Other prominent settlers were
William WOODS, who, in the beginning of the present century owned a large
saw-mill and factory at the lower falls, and was one of the wealthiest
men in town. Stephen MANSFIELD was an early farmer on the old stage road,
on the farm now owned by Samuel HOWARD. Isaac CASTLE was an early settler
on the lake shore. Eli HYDE lived early about three miles southwest of
the falls, on the place now owned by Isaac T. SANDERSON. Levi GRANNIS was
a wagon-maker residing near the Sand bar at first, and afterwards removing
to Colchester Center. Levi TOMBERSON lived in the northwest part of the
town, on the place now owned by Homer JACKSON. He was a man of considerable
means. Zebediah WHEELER kept a public house in Checkerberry, near the bridge.
He removed to Georgia when an old man, and died there previous to 1830.
Truman FAIRCHILD, an uncle of Dr. Benjamin FAIRCHILD, erected a large public
house in early days just west of Snake Hill, and kept it for years in connection
with a farm. He died about twenty years ago, though he had long before
relinquished the life of a hotel-keeper. The place is now in the hands
of Rinaldo W. BALLARD. Friend BEEMAN was an early settler on the Lamoille
River, about three-fourths of a mile north of Milton Falls, on the place
now owned by Hardy H. FULLER.
Andrew VAN GILDER, called "Old Man Gilder," was half Indian and
half Dutch, and lived for years near the Georgia line. He was the son of
an Indian chief. His farm was on the bow of Lamoille River. Joseph SOPER
lived on the farm now owned by Zebediah EVEREST, in the midst of a settlement
called Sopertown. About 1815 Philo FAIRCHILD erected a saw-mill there,
which was propelled by a stream now nearly dried up. Erastus SOPER lived
on the summit of the hill below the lower falls, the place being now owned
by Charles OSGOOD. Colonel Ovid BURRELL owned with judge Noah SMITH a half
interest in the mills at what was then called Upper Falls, in contradistinction
to the settlement at Woods's Mills, which was called Milton Lower Falls.
Colonel BURRELL is said to have sold out $20,000 worth of property near
Hartford, Conn., to come here and build up the milling interests. He and
Noah SMITH failed not far from 1820.
N.M. MANLEY was one of the first tavern-keepers at Checkerberry.
The town records as early as October, 1807, mention the sign-post near
MANLEY's tavern. He remained there many years afterwards.
Such were the names and places of residence of some of the early
settlers of Milton. Many of the most important have been purposely omitted
at this place, because it is deemed better to mention them in connection
with the early milling and professional interests. The town was organized
on the 25th of March, 1788, William IRISH being moderator of the meeting,
by the election of the following officers:
Enoch ASHLEY, town clerk; Samuel CHURCH, Elisha ASHLEY, and Absalom
TAYLOR, selectmen; Thomas DEWEY, treasurer; Enoch ASHLEY, constable and
collector; Thomas DEWEY, Silas ROOD and Elisha FARNUM, listers; Nathaniel
ALGER, grand juror; William IRISH, Elisha FARNUM, and Thomas DEWEY, highway
surveyors; Silas ROOD and Samuel CHURCH, fence viewers. At this meeting
it was voted "that the Dower of Enoch ASHLEY hous shall be the Sine Post
for this year." Milton was represented in the Legislature this year by
Aaron MATHEWS, who was also the first justice of the peace.
About the year 1795 the question of building a house in which to
transact the town business and to meet for public worship was agitated,
resulting in the hiring for a short time of a house before that occupied
by Alpheus MANSFIELD, standing near the center of the town. The town-house
was not erected until some years afterwards, as will be shown in later
pages. On the 9th of March, 1795, Amos MANSFIELD, Enoch ASHLEY, Edward
BRIGHAM, John JACKSON, and Samuel HALL were appointed a committee to "set
a stake for the center of the town," and reported that they had set such
stake "about two rods from the northwest corner of Alpheus MANSFIELD --
lot 10 so called -- being about three-quarters of a mile southeast of Mr.
DEAN's mills." Among other amusing and quaint extracts, which need no explanation,
the following have been selected as revealing the methods of public business
and something of the spirit of the times.
In the last years of the last century the system of inoculation
for the forestallment of small-pox was as yet an experiment which the people
in this country were slow to adopt. And when at last they were imbued with
faith sufficient to give the new-fangled notion a trial, the concession
was made in fear and trembling, and under the strictest surveillance of
the law. Witness the following from the early records of Milton: On the
19th of November, 1799, a warning was published for a town meeting for
the purpose of considering the advisability of passing the following vote:
"For to have a inocilation for the small Pox set up in said Town of Milton."
At the meeting thus warned, held on the 1st of December, it was voted "that
they will agree to set up a inoculation for the Small pox in sd town under
the Regulation in such case provided by Law."
7, 1796. -- "Voted Not to Set of aney Part of Milton to be annected to
1797. -- "Voted that Samuel Levitt Buildings may stand in the highway if
not incroch their upon."
Samuel hull gate may arect a potash in the highway if the same Do not encroach
if any person or persons shall cut or girdle any timber the Lower Side
of the Dugway on the Road Between William Woods and william powels shall
pay a fine of twenty pounds L money."
At this meeting it was also voted "that they have nothing against
Samuel Hull making a dam across the north branch of the River Lemile a
little Below the Bridge over Soper's Fall."
Among the hardships which the early settlers suffered in this town
should be mentioned the epidemic of 1813, which carried away a number of
the residents of Milton, among them being, as already stated, Thomas and
Zebediah DEWEY; and the cold season of 1816. During that entire summer
frosts were frequent and snow storms not unknown, while the consequent
damage to crops was even greater than might be expected. Corn was ruined;
and other crops were so injured that in the following spring there was
not enough for seed. The families in town, especially in the early part
of 1817, were destitute of breadstuffs and of nearly everything that goes
to sustain human life, and could not sufficiently supply themselves at
WAR OF 1812
Following is the roll of a company of militia which went from Milton
into the War of 1812, under command of Captain J. PRENTISS, excepting from
September 25 to November 18, 1813, when it was under Colonel Luther DIXON,
PRENTISS, captain; John DEWEY, ensign; Luther PARTCH, sergeant; E. PRATT,
sergeant; Arch. ASHLEY, corporal; William ASHLEY, corporal; Orange HART,
Elijah HERRICK, Arch. COOK, William A. NAY, Ira HUNTLEY, Ethan AUSTIN,
Henry AUSTIN, Levi SMITH, Rufus BRIGHAM, Silas BRIGHAM, Mackson BURDICK,
Chauncey DUDLEY, Chauncey WHEELER, Sterling ADAMS, William DUNCHER, Hiram
SANDERSON, William WILCOX, Smelton HUNTLEY, Aaron WHEELER, Elmer GOULD,
Elisha ASHLEY, Irvin NEWELL, Jedediah WHEELER, Ephraim HERRICK, Judson
PARKER, William POWELL, jr., Joseph WILCOX, Robert COOK, Orrin POTTER,
William BRIGHAM, Russell DURHAM, John M. DEWEY, E. O. GOODRICH, Orrin WEED,
William KNAPP, Nathan SHERWOOD, Isaac MONGER, Rufus L. BARNEY, Samuel KINSON,
Levi STEBBINS, Stephen BORGNER, Benjamin KINSON, N. POWELL, Abram MAJOR,
Isaac KEELER. The following have been mentioned as being present at the
battle of PLATTsburgh under Captain Luther TAYLOR: Luther DARLING, Sylvanus
MURRAY, James POWELL, Jersey WOODRUFF, A. G. WHITTEMORE, Arch. ASHLEY,
and one HOLBROOK.
TO DEPART TOWN
In accordance with an ancient custom in New England towns, this
town by its selectmen frequently commanded the constable by lawful precept
to warn certain inhabitants, therein named, to depart town without delay.
This was the means adopted to free the town from supporting those whom
indigence, misfortune, or indolence had rendered necessitous. Very many
of these precepts were served every year from 1812 to about 1825; the greatest
number seemingly having been served in 1816.
FROM 1825 TO 1830
This period may almost be said to have been the transition period,
between the first and the second generation of those who developed the
resources of the town. Among the names mentioned in the records are found
those of the earliest settlers, in close proximity with those of a younger
generation, who fast filled the vacancies left “by the dying and the dead."
Observe the following list of officers for the year 1825:
There were at this period and for years before and after, two villages
in town of nearly equal size, though Milton Falls was always a little in
advance of its neighbor, Cheekerberry. The largest store at the "Upper
Falls" was that of Lyman BURGESS and Rodney HILL, who, under the firm name
of BURGESS & HILL, did a large business in a building which stood on
the east side of the river, a little east of the site of Jed P. CLARK's
residence. It was years ago removed, and now forms a part of AUSTIN's Hotel.
Juda T. AINSWORTH traded also in a building which stood on the south side
of the street, and west of the present bed of the railroad. On the other
side of the river "Brad" VERNUM and George AYRES carried on a store, and
were soon after succeeded by George AYRES alone. There was but one tavern
at the upper falls, which stood on the site of the present hotel of Patrick
MAXFIELD, on the west side of the river. Moses AYRES, who kept it, had
erected it about 1815. About 1830, he retired and rented the place to Judge
Edmund WELLINGTON. The house was afterwards kept by Solomon CUSHMAN, Warren
SIBLEY, Sylvester WARD and others.
moderator of the March meeting; Gideon HOXIE, town clerk; Jesse WOODRUFF,
Moses AYRES and Isaac BLAKE, selectmen; John W. DEWEY, first constable;
James MINER, town treasurer; ALFORD LADD, Moses DAVIS and Stephen HOXIE,
listers; Timothy P. PHELPS, Alpheus MANSFIELD, jr., and Daniel DRURY, grand
jurors; Elisha A. WOODRUFF, Joseph CLARK, John DEWEY, Timothy P. PHELPS,
Lorin BINGHAM, Elisha ASHLEY, jr., Ross COON, James MINER, Alford LADD,
Orren POTTER, Moses AYRES, Samuel CARR, Samuel HUEY, Joseph BARNEY, William
HOWARD, 2d, Nathan M. MANLEY, John JACKSON, jr., Lewis LYON and Solomon
CASWELL, surveyors of highways; John DEWEY, Elijah HERRICK, John JACKSON,
jr., fence viewers; Luther FULLAM, Rising DEWEY, Stephen MEARS, pound-keepers;
John JACKSON and Lyman DRAKE, leather sealers; Lemuel B. PLATT, sealer
of weights and measures; David LAMSON, Luther SEARL and Jarius C. MEARS,
The grist and saw-mills at the upper falls were owned and operated
by Warren HILL, who also owned a large tract of timbered land in this vicinity,
but the mills at this time were not doing a very extensive business, because
of so great competition on the other streams in town. William WARD owned
and operated a carding and cloth-dressing machine on the falls, which was
afterwards converted into a woolen-mill and owned by Harvey COLTON. A paper-mill
was also operated here by judge Edmund WELLINGTON and Arthur HUNTING, on
the west side of the falls. Chauncey GOODRICH, of Burlington, afterwards
owned it, and disposed of it to Lyman BURGESS, who owned it when it was
destroyed by fire, thirty or forty years ago. Lyman BURGESS owned and operated
a saw-mill on the west side of the falls. Moses BASCOM and Benjamin WOODMAN
owned a distillery at the lower end of River street. It was at this time
an old concern, and lasted for some years after this, but the business
finally became involved in financial embarrassments, and WOODMAN, who had
always been deemed a shrewd and successful business man, was so downcast
by the failure that, in imaginary fear of apprehension by officers, he
committed suicide. Two tanneries were then in operation here, one opposite
the distillery, on River street, where the blacksmith shop now is, carried
or, by Silas B. & Warner SIBLEY, which did a large business, and another
farther north, operated by Orra HOLBROOK, and still in the hands of his
Checkerberry village was then a thriving place, and afforded a cheering
prospect of future growth and prosperity; a promise which time has failed
to fulfill. At the period of which we are speaking, A. G. WHITTEMORE had
already risen to his merited prominence, and by his property and influence
contributed greatly to the business of the village, as well as of the town.
Those were days of continual litigation, a condition which may always be
taken as an indication of thrift and enterprise. It was not uncommon for
justices of the peace to call and in one way or another dispose of twelve
or fifteen cases in a day. The merchants then there were George SKIFF and
William LOCEY, from Georgia, Vt., who, after several years of promise,
separated and left town. Two taverns were open at Checkerberry, one kept
by Eaton SMITH, and the other by William LOCEY. About three-quarters of
a mile north of Checkerberry was a grist and saw-mill, owned and operated
by James MINER, sr., who had been a great lumberman of former days, and
had accumulated a large property. He was heavily in debt, it seems, and
after his death the property went into the hands of Joseph CLARK and Phelps
SMITH, the former of whom succeeded in making it pay.
There were other business interests in the town, outside of either
village, of considerable prominence. At what are known as the lower falls
was the general store of Hiram and Joseph CLARK, which did nearly all the
business for that part of the town. Hiram CLARK died a few years after
this, and was succeeded in the partnership by Samuel BOARDMAN. A few years
later, too, Elijah HERRICK built up a good trade at the lower falls, in
company with his son Moses D. Here, also, were two saw-mills operated by
the estate of William WOODS and a woolen-mill belonging to the same estate.
The Champlain Canal had then but recently been opened, and these mills
cut a large amount of lumber which was rafted down the river and up the
lake without the labor of drawing. There were two saw-mills at Sopertown;
one operated by Mr. LEONARD, and the other by Isaac BLAKE. They were small
affairs and did not run many years after this period. A small grist-mill
stood on the lake shore on a small stream just north of the present Camp
Everest, which had for many years done all the custom grinding for South
Hero and even other portions of Grand Isle county. It was owned and operated
by Phelps SMITH. In former years there had been many other mills in town,
but they had all disappeared. As the forests were cleared the streams diminished
in volume, and the water power was destroyed. Where MANSFIELD's mills once
stood, has been since the memory of middle-aged men pasture land, not even
traversed by a highway. The last mill at Sopertown ceased running more
than thirty years ago. The drying of the streams killed most of these,
while the business of Checkerberry was diverted by the opening of the railroad
through Milton Falls.
As stated in a previous page, the question as to whether a town-house
should be erected was mooted several years before 1800, and resulted in
the renting of the old house of Alpheus MANSFIELD, near the geographical
center of the town. This was not well adapted for the purpose, however,
and by the year 1800 a movement was again afoot looking to the erection
of a town hall. This building was finished in the latter part of 1805,
and the first meeting in it was held in March, 1806. It stood on one side
of the square in Checkerberry. In 1849 Joseph CLARK, Lyman BURGESS, Dr.
Benjamin FAIRCHILD and George AYRES, in the interest of Milton Falls village,
gave a bond conditioned that if the town would vote that meetings should
thereafter be held in their village, they would furnish a room suitable
for the transaction of town business for the period of ten years, without
charge. The vote being accordingly passed, these gentlemen erected a house
by subscription, which served the purposes of its construction until it
was destroyed by fire a few years since. There is now no town hall, the
meetings being usually held in the hall of Curtiss B. PRATT.
There are only two hotels open now in town, the Elm Tree House,
on the east side of the river, at Milton village, now kept by Patrick MAXFIELD,
who, after a vacancy, succeeded William LANDON, being the same hotel mentioned
in an earlier page as built by Moses AYRES; and Austin's Hotel, near the
railroad station, erected by the present proprietor in 1879 for a hardware
store and converted to its present use in a few months after its construction.
The proprietor, A. N. AUSTIN, built the Central House in 1867, and kept
it about ten years, calling it Austin's Hotel. The Central House is now
The early stores in Milton have already been mentioned. Probably
the most prominent merchant ever in town was Lyman BURGESS, who kept a
store open at Milton village for many years. The oldest store now in town
is that of H. H. RANKIN and C. A. PRATT, at Milton village, who, under
the firm name of H. H. RANKIN & Co., have engaged in trade here since
1871, succeeding to the business of O. W. BULLOCK, who has been here since
1866. His predecessor was Henry H. WOODS. George ASHLEY built the store
many years ago, and himself kept it for some time.
A.P. COMSTOCK has dealt in general merchandise at Milton village
about twenty-five years, and has seen the generation of merchants that
were here when he began pass away and another take their place.
D.F. QUINN has been proprietor of a tinshop and a hardware store
in town for more than twenty years, on the same site that he now occupies,
though the old building was burned several years ago, and the present one
erected in its stead.
E.L. WHITNEY, dealer in books, stationery and fancy goods, began
a general trade in Milton in 1866. He restricted his stock to the present
assortment in 1869. He now carries a stock of about $3,500.
N.S. WOOD has manufactured and sold boots, shoes and findings at
Milton for twenty years. In the spring of 1883 he took his son, C. C. WOOD,
in partnership with him.
The drug store of J. S. BENHAM was opened in 1876 by its present
Eli BARNUM, formerly mail agent between Richford, Vt., and Concord,
N. H., has been engaged for three or four years in a general trade at Milton
J.H. BOOTHE has traded here a little more than three years.
On the 7th of December, 1885, E. A. FROST succeeded to the interest
of O. B. LANDON, in the drug store of Milton village. LANDON had occupied
this. building a little more than a year.
At West Milton (Lower Falls) George GRANGER has been engaged in
trade nearly two years. Mr. GRANGER is also the postmaster at that place.
Since the first settlement of the town a most radical change has
taken place in the nature of its principal interest Many of the early settlers
turned their attention to cutting and preparing for the Quebec market the
pine timber that covered the surface of nearly the entire town. Accordingly,
mills were erected on every available site, and rafts of lumber were continually
floating down the lake and through the rivers Sorel and St. Lawrence to
the great Canadian market. After the opening of the Champlain Canal, in
1824, much of this timber found its way to New York; and so extensively
did the early settlers engage in clearing the forests, that not many years
sufficed to leave the surface nearly destitute of heavy timber. The streams,
therefore, shrank in volume, water privileges were destroyed, and the people
were forced to direct their energies to the more quiet activities of farm
life. Compared with its former manufacturing importance, therefore, Milton
can scarcely be called a manufacturing town. The most important industry
in town is that of Jed P. CLARK, whose father, Joseph CLARK, in 1845 built
the saw and grist-mills now standing, having purchased the site of Warren
HILL. The saw-mill, which originally had an up-and-down saw, is now supplied
with circular and gang saws, and has the capacity for cutting a large amount
of lumber. The grist-mill operates six runs of stones, and is used as a
custom mill. The site has always been a prominent location for milling
Among the other manufacturing concerns in town are the carriage
manufactory of Charles ASHLEY, who recently began the making of all kinds
of carriages and sleighs, and the brick-yards of J. W. & H. W. BROWN,
one of which is at Mallet's Bay, in Colchester, and the other in this town,
which were started by J. W. BROWN in 1857. They employ about fifty men
during the season and manufacture about 4,000,000 brick. At present, too,
a pulp-mill is in process of construction a mile above the falls at Milton
village, by G. H. RITCHIE, of New York. A butter factory in the southeast
part of the town has been recently started and is now in operation. It
is owned by a stock company.
The first lawyer in town was undoubtedly judge Noah SMITH, who while
here resided at the falls, near the site of the present dwelling house
of Jed P. CLARK. Materials for a sketch of this prominent man's life are
very meager. He bears the distinction of having also been the first lawyer
to practice in Bennington, Vt. There is extant a printed address, entitled
"A Speech," delivered at Bennington on the 16th of August, 1778 (the year
after the battle of Bennington), "by Noah SMITH, A. B." The address is
brief and chiefly of a historical character, breathing a spirit of patriotism,
and is quite creditable to the author, who was evidently just out of college.
At the first session of the County Court of Bennington county, in 1781,
Mr. SMITH was appointed State's attorney, which office he held for several
years, and in 1789 and 1790 he was a judge of the Supreme Court. He was
a prominent and active Mason. He became early interested in the town of
Milton, and was moderator of one of the first proprietors' meetings, held
in May, 1788, at Manchester, Vt. The third deed recorded in the land records
of Milton recites a transfer to him of six original rights of land, and
transfers to him are of frequent occurrence thereafter. He came to this
town some time previous to 1800, and was one of the first judges of the
Chittenden County Court He owned nearly all the land now embracing the
village of Milton. He was very public spirited, and gave the land for the
east and west street through the village, and in 1806 or 1807 gave the
land for the site of the Congregational Church, together with land adjoining
for a cemetery. He was the largest contributor toward the construction
of the Congregational Church here. Financial reverses overtook him, however,
toward the close of his life, and before he died he became partly demented,
and was buried, about 1822, at the expense of the town. There is now no
stone to mark the spot where he lies, and the place itself is unknown and
Heman ALLEN, who is mentioned in the chapter devoted to the history
of the Bench and Bar, was the next legal practitioner in town, beginning
as early as 1802, and remaining until 1827, when he removed to Burlington.
Albert G. WHITTEMORE, whose life is recorded at greater length in the latter
part of this book, pursued the practice of law here from 1824 until 1852,
residing at Checkerberry. He was unquestionably the most able and prominent
lawyer that ever practiced in this part of the county. Among other lawyers
who have practiced in Milton were Boyd H. WILSON, George B. PLATT, Charles
H. PERRIGO, Hiram B. SMITH (one of the leading Democrats in the State),
Chester W. WITTERS, and Homer E. POWELL.
C.W. WITTERS was born in Milton on the l0th of June, 1836. He studied
law with Hiram B. SMITH, and began to practice here immediately after his
admission. He then went to Kansas for a brief period, but returned to Milton
and continued his practice until April, 1886, when he removed to St. Albans,
Vt., the more conveniently to perform his duties as attorney for the Central
Vermont Railroad Company.
Homer E. POWELL, the only lawyer at present in practice in town,
was born at Richford, Vt., on the 4th of May, 1851. He received an academic
education at Fairfax and Montpelier, and studied law with his brother,
E. Henry POWELL, of Richford, being admitted to practice in the courts
of Franklin county in the spring term of 1875. After a few months of practice
at Richford and two and a half years at South Troy, Vt., he came to Milton
in the spring of 1878. On the 21st of April, 1880, he married Lucia B.,
daughter of E. A. WITTERS, of Milton. His office is at the village of Milton.
John E. WHEELOCK, whose duties as superintendent of schools has
prevented his active engagement in the practice of law, but who, nevertheless,
as a member of the bar is entitled to mention, was born in Milton on the
1st day of May, 1843, and after taking a thorough course of lectures at
the legal department of the University of Albany, N. Y., received from
that institution in 1868 the degree of LL.D. His office studies were previously
pursued in the office of C. W. WITTERS. He was admitted to practice in
the courts of Lamoille county in 1868, and immediately came to Milton.
He was superintendent of schools for Milton in 1860-62, and has been continuously
in that position from 1882 to the present time.
Among the physicians who have practiced in town in the past were
Jesse P. CARPENTER, one of the first, who practiced here for many years
and resided on the stage road; Avery AINSWORTH, who died not far from 1830,
after prosecuting a practice here for years; Joseph CARPENTER, son of Jesse;
and Daniel H. ONION, who commenced his professional career at Checkerberry
in 1828 or 1829, and continued in town until his death, two or three years
ago. He was one of the most prominent men in town, and was entrusted with
many public offices by his townsmen. The oldest physician now in Milton
is Dr. Benjamin FAIRCHILD, who was born in Georgia, Vt., in 1804, and lived
there until he was twenty-two years of age. In 1828 he studied medicine
at Burlington, and was graduated from the medical department of the University
of Vermont in 1829, after attending a course of lectures at Castleton.
He came to Milton on the 11th of February, 1830, and soon became one of
the leading physicians of this vicinity. He has but recently retired from
practice. Nearly all the information which the writer obtained concerning
the early settlers and industries of this town was given by Dr. FAIRCHILD.
Dr. Franklin B. HATHEWAY was born in Georgia, Vt., in 1819, married
Lucia BARTLETT and had one child, Franklin H. The father studied medicine
at Woodstock, and settled in Milton in 1849. His son, Franklin H., was
graduated from the medical department of the University of Vermont on the
1st of June, 1879, and since his father's death, several years ago, has
continued his practice at Checkerberry and vicinity.
Dr. L. J. DIXON was born in UNDERHILL, Vt., in 1829, studied medicine
with Dr. Daniel H. ONION, of Milton, and was graduated from the medical
department of the University of Vermont in 1858. He first practiced in
Madison, Wis., several years before the war. During the Rebellion he was
four years surgeon in the First Regiment of Wisconsin Volunteers, and was
afterwards surgeon in the service of the United States (U. S. V.) for one
and a half years. He came to Milton in 1866.
Dr. C. L. SANDERSON was born on the 24th of July, 1848, at Milton,
and received a preparatory education at the New Hampton Institute, at Fairfax.
He studied medicine with Dr. DIXON, of this town, and Dr. C. W. CARPENTER,
of Burlington, and was graduated from the medical department of the University
of Vermont in 1878, after which he came at once to Milton.
H.H. RANKIN, town clerk, with C. A. PRATT, as assistant; George
ASHLEY, Charles OSGOOD, Alson A. HERRICK, selectmen; E. L. WHITNEY, town
treasurer; the selectmen, overseers of the poor; William LANDON, first
constable and collector; C. S. ASHLEY, R. FLINN, C. Mayville, listers;
H. O. BARTLETT, C. A. PRATT, C. I. LADD, auditors; O. G. PHELPS, trustee
of surplus money; E. T. HOLBROOK, W. O. BEEMAN, H. H. RANKIN, fence viewers;
Homer E. POWELL, agent to prosecute and defend suits in which the town
It is not known when the first post-office was established in town;
but it was very early, for Milton was crossed by the first stage road that
ran to the north part of the State. One of the earliest postmasters was
Stephen HOXIE, who retained the office for many years and until 1828. Lyman
BURGESS then succeeded him, and was in turn succeeded in 1840 by S. M.
ST. JOHNS. George AYRES was appointed in 1842; Hiram B. SMITH in 1845;
George AYRES again in 1850; Hiram B. SMITH in 1854; E. L. WHITNEY in 1861;
Jed P. CLARK in 1863; H. G. BOARDMAN in 1869; E. L. WHITNEY in 1877; E.
BARNUM in 1884, and the present incumbent, O. E. COON, October 1, 1885.
The office at West Milton was established, it seems, about 1834,
by the appointment of Calvin DEMING as postmaster. Abram B. OLIN succeeded
him in 1837, and was followed by A. G. WHITTEMORE in 1838. The postmasters
since then have been as follows: C. L. DRAKE, appointed in 1844; R. SANDERSON
in 1850; Hector ADAMS in 1852; C. L. DRAKE in 1854; Hector ADAMS in 1855;
C. L. DRAKE in 1856; Ell BARNUM in 1863; M. D. HERRICK in 1865; H. F. LYON
in 1879; C. P. SANDERSON in 1880; W. L. SANDERSON in 1882; James D. COTIE
in 1883; D. L. FIELD in 1885, and George GRANGER in 1886.
The early settlers of Milton, like those of all the New England
towns, deemed it one of their first duties to establish schools in town
and divide the town into convenient districts. From a report taken (at
random) from the earlier town records we learn that in 1837 there were
751 pupils in town under the age of eighteen years and over the age of
four years. From the report for the year 1885 we find that there are 437
pupils in town. This shows in part the decrease in population since that
thrifty period. The schools of Milton, however, compare favorably with
those of the neighboring towns, and the people are showing a lively interest
in them, as is shown by the fact that nearly two hundred visits were made
in 1885 by patrons. Mr. WHEELOCK devotes his best energies to the building
up of good schools and his success is encouraging.
Public worship in Vermont in the latter part of the last century
was not infrequently conducted in a barn or a log house, and in the towns
of Chittenden rarely in a house constructed for the purpose. The question
of raising means to hire preaching and build a house of worship was considered
by the settlers of Milton, but, as will be inferred from the following
extracts from the records, nothing very important to the cause was accomplished
for years. The town-house mentioned in previous pages was to have been
used for purposes of worship as well as for the transaction of town business;
and it seems that the building which was hired of Amos MANSFIELD was occasionally
called into the service of the church-going people. At the March meeting
of 1795 the house was referred to as being used "to Meet in to Due Publick
Bisness in and to Meet in for publick worship." At the same time Edward
BRIGHAM and Luther MALLARY were appointed to "higher a minister or a preacher
three months." On the 12th of October, 1795, a vote was passed to give
a minister twenty-two shillings a Sabbath for preaching. It does not appear
in the records that anything further than the passing of votes was done
for several years. At the March meeting for 1798 Samuel HOLGATE, Edward
BRIGHAM, and John JACKSON were appointed to "higher" a minister. On the
11th of the following month a meeting was held, in which it was voted "that
the town will not Rais money to pay the minister that has Bin highered."
And the committee was dismissed. At the annual meeting of 1799 the town
refused to pay the amount exhibited by Samuel HOLGATE for the services
of John LINCOLN, preacher. On the 15th of April, 1799, a record appears,
by Abner WOOD, a Methodist preacher, that John GERAND is a member of the
The Congregational Church was organized September 21, 1804, by the
Rev. Lemuel HAYNES and James DAVIS. The following names are on record as
constituting the first members, viz.: Leonard BRIGHAM and Lovice his wife,
Edward BRIGHAM, Aaron CARPENTER and Hannah his wife, Moses BASCOM, John
BASCOM, Linus BASCOM, Chloe SMITH, Daniel SMITH, Eliza SMITH, Rhoda CHURCH,
Elijah HERRICK, Jabez HYDE and Mary his wife. The church was occasionally
supplied with preaching till September 23, 1807, when Joseph CHEENEY was
constituted their pastor by a council composed of Rev. P. V. BOGUE, Rev.
James PARKER, and Rev. Benjamin WOOSTER and their delegates.
The first house of worship was built chiefly by Judge Noah SMITH
about 1806 or 1807, at the falls, and was replaced in 1825 by another a
few rods farther north. It was burned in 1840, and in 1841 the present
edifice was erected on the same site, at a cost of about $16,000. It comfortably
seats about four hundred persons, and is valued at a little less than its
original cost. The present pastor is Rev. John L. SEWELL, who in 1885 succeeded
Rev. John H. WOODWARD, "the fighting chaplain of Vermont," who served the
church for seventeen years. The present membership of the church is about
ninety. The officers are L. A. JACKSON and Lucius LANDON, deacons; Charles
JACKSON, clerk; Lucius LANDON, Curtin PRATT and Guy PHELPS, prudential
committee; and L. A. JACKSON, Sabbath-school superintendent. The present
average attendance at Sabbath-school is about 140.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
By the Rev.
J. E. BOWEN
The town of Milton was chartered in 1763, but the new town had no
form of church organization until many years after. Methodism appears historically
the first form of organized Christianity known to the new settlers, the
eccentric and world-renowned Lorenzo DOW appearing as its first preacher
in the northwestern portion of the town early in the month of August, 1798.
In July, 1799, DOW was sent by the Methodist Conference, held at New York
city, to complete the formation of a circuit embracing all the western
portion of the State north of Winooski River and west of the Green Mountains;
embracing also portions of Canada lying between Lake Memphramagog and Lake
Champlain, and called Essex circuit. This circuit embraced Milton, in the
northwestern portion of which he had preached not quite one year previously.
There he had one of his regular appointments.
There must have been an organized class in that part of the town
at that early day, with leader and members, to have insured continuous
preaching services; for that was the rule by which preaching was continued
at any place. The "class" is the integer of embryonic Methodism. And according
to all analogy that class must have existed in 1798. The place of worship
was the school-house, more often the private dwelling, but was in the school
district now embracing the borough M. E. Church, sometimes alternating
with Georgia Plain, where for forty years or more was a class with regular
services, and where subsequently the Baptists removed from Georgia Center
and erected their present house of worship.
Methodist religious services were mostly confined for years to private
dwellings, barns and school-houses, sometimes occupying the town hall at
Checkerberry village, alternating with the Congregationalists, until the
church in West Milton, or at the River, was built by the united efforts
of Baptists, Methodists and Congregationalists. I think that was the first
church structure in which the Methodists owned any share in the town. But
they held regular services all the way along from 1798 in various places
in the town, at the River, Checkerberry, the "Hollow," Snake hill school
district, east and southeast of the village.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church edifice in Milton was built
and dedicated about the year 1840. It stood on nearly the same ground on
which is now standing the Methodist Episcopal Church in Milton Falls, and
directly across the way, and nearly opposite the first church erected in
town. This edifice was the place of general worship for the circuit, until
it was superseded by a larger and better one in 1870. This later edifice
was destroyed by fire July 8, 1878. At the same time the first church structure
ever erected in Milton was burned; the latter burning first and causing
the destruction of the former. Soon rallying, the society projected and
erected the present church edifice, completing and dedicating the basement
portion on Thanksgiving Day, 1880. The edifice stood thus incomplete until
April, 1885, when work was resumed on the auditorium, which was finished
and dedicated July 8, 1885, exactly seven years from the day of the destruction
of the former church by fire. In 1860 another beautiful Methodist Episcopal
Church was erected at the borough, the place where Methodism was introduced
into the town, where ever since fortnightly preaching upon Sabbath afternoons
has been maintained. For many years Milton was a portion of an extensive
circuit, growing smaller and smaller by subdivisions as population and
Methodism increased over its territory, until, in 1864, Milton circuit
consisted of only the town of that name, and continues so to the present
time, embracing all that time and now three appointments, viz.: Milton
Falls, the River or West Milton, and the Borough. A parsonage was owned
many years ago, located upon the main street of the falls village, afterward
sold and another purchased about one mile from the church; but when the
church edifice was destroyed by fire they sold that and incorporated its
value in the new church edifice, and even then were unable to extricate
themselves from indebtedness until the present year. An aged maiden lady,
Nancy MEARS, recently deceased, has left to the church by will one-half
of a beautiful home and adjoining grounds at Milton Falls village, where
she resided, subject to a life lease of another sister, who also jointly
possessed the same property, and whose will, already made, bequeaths the
other half to the same purpose. So the prospect now is that at some day
in the future the church will again possess an itinerant's home.
The numerical status of Methodism cannot be ascertained definitely
in the early days, never with certainty until 1854. At that date there
were sixty-eight members. This number was increased and diminished from
time to time, rising in succeeding years to one hundred and fifteen, the
highest number attained at any time, and only possessing one hundred in
numbers seven times in the last thirty-two years. That any of the Protestant
Christian denominations have held numerical status is a source of congratulation,
yet indicates a failure to measure up to the full standard of possibilities
of increase and extension within reach of a gospel Christianity.
The Trinity Episcopal Church was organized by Rev. George T. CHAPMAN,
D.D., in the winter of 1831, with about twenty communicants. It has never
had an edifice of its own. For nearly twenty years, owing to adverse circumstances,
services were suspended, to be resumed in 1867 by Rev. John A. HICKS, D.D.,
of Burlington. Since then it has been sustained by different missionaries.
The present rector is Rev. Gemont GRAVES, of Burlington.
For a history of the Catholic Church, see history of Burlington.
of Chittenden County, Vermont
and Biographical Sketches
of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers
By W. S. Rann, Syracuse, N. Y.
& Co., Publishers, 1886
by Karima Allison ~ 2004
section of Hamilton Child's "Gazetteer and Business Directory of
Chittenden County, Vt. For 1882-83."
listings from the Plains Cemetery in Milton, VT
listings from the Milton Village Cemetery in Milton, VT
listings from the Old West Milton Cemetery in Milton, VT
listings from the West Milton Cemetery in West Milton, VT
listings from the St. Ann's Cemetery in Milton, VT