lies in the eastern part of the county, in lat. 44º 43', long. 5º
18', and is bounded northeast by Bloomfield, east by the Connecticut river,
southwest by Maidstone, and west by Ferdinand. It has an area of 14,617
acres, originally chartered by Benning Wentworth, October 13th, 1761.
The surface of the town is rough and picturesque. The Nulhegan
river runs across the northwestern corner of the town, this being the most
rapid portion of the stream. Paul stream is a beautiful stream of pure
and limpid water, taking its rise in the towns of Granby and Ferdinand.
In its course through Brunswick it affords many good mill privileges. Upon
this stream the first mills in Brunswick were built by Ithiel Cargill.
Wheeler stream has two branches, North and South, that unite about a half
mile from its junction with the Connecticut. There are eight ponds in the
town, viz. Cranberry, Little Bog, Dennis, Paul Stream, Tuttle, Wheeler,
Little Walker and Mineral ponds. The Brunswick springs, perhaps, more than
anything, else, have given the town a name and a place among the resorts
of summer tourists. The springs are celebrated for their high medicinal
qualities. In 1869, to furnish accommodations for the guests drawn hither,
the Brunswick Springs House was erected by C. &. E.F. Bailey, and has
since enjoyed a liberal and increasing patronage. The house has accommodations
for one hundred guests, and is located on the west bank of the Connecticut,
two miles from the Grand Trunk Railway station of North Stratford, N. H.
Directly in front of the house is the beautiful lakelet, Mineral Pond,
noted for its lilies. About one hundred feet in the rear of the house are
the springs, six in number, and each pouring forth a quantity of water
quite distinct in analysis from the others. Several beautiful groves of
white pine trees are in the immediate vicinity.
In 1880, Brunswick had a population of 193. In 1885 it adopted
the town system of schools. Its two common schools, with twenty-four scholars,
were taught during 1886 by three female teachers, who received an average
weekly salary, including board, of $4.12. The entire income for school
purposes was $166.00, while the total amount expended was $164.80, with
J.D. French, superintendent.
Brunswick is a small post village situated in the eastern part
of the town. The St. Johnsbury Granite Co., R. W. Laird, prop., has many
extensive granite quarries in this and Caledonia county, the most celebrated
of which is located in the northern part of Brunswick, and covers an area
of about twelve acres. The granite from this quarry is known as the "Brunswick
Crystal Granite." A side track runs from the Grand Trunk Railway to the
quarry, where the stone is loaded on cars and taken to the works at St.
Johnsbury. There it is manufactured into fine monuments, statuary, etc.,
and shipped to all parts of the country, and to foreign countries, The
company received the highest award at the Centennial in 1876, for work
made from this granite.
David Hix and Abram Gile were the first settlers in Brunswick,
about the year 1780. Hicks commenced on a farm afterwards owned and
occupied by Joshua R. Lambkin. He was a cooper by trade and did little
towards clearing the farm. He was captured by the Indians and carried to
Canada, where he remained two years and three months. Abram Gile commenced
settlement on the Wait Bow, but remained in the town only a short time.
Most of the settlers in the town before 1800, who cleared their farms and
remained permanently, were John Merrill, Joseph Wait, Nathaniel Wait, Philip
Grapes, Joshua R. Lambkin, Gideon Smith, David Hyde and Reuben Hawkins.
There were, some other temporary residents of whom little is known.
The town was organized March 31, 1796. The meeting was held at
the house of Nathaniel Wait, when the following list of officers was elected:
David Hyde, moderator; Joseph Wait, clerk; Joseph Wait, David Hyde and
John Merrill, selectmen; Reuben Tuttle, constable; Philip Grapes, Nathaniel
Wait and Joshua Lambkin, listers; Jacob Schoff and Gideon Smith, highway
surveyors; Nathaniel Wait and Gideon Smith, fence viewers; and Joshua Lambkin,
pound keeper. Joseph Wait, the first representative from the town, was
elected the 6th of the following December.
The first child born in town was George W. Hix, son of David Hix.
The first marriage recorded was that of Joseph Merrill and Susannah Day,
October 28, 1799. In 1798 the proprietors voted the right to pitch
400 acres of land to any proprietor who built a saw-mill and grist-mill
here within the following eighteen months. July 25, 1799, this privilege
was voted to Ethiel Cargill, on condition that the mills were completed
in December. He built the mills on Paul stream, about eighty rods above
the present river road. In 1824 he sold the mills to Benjamin Brown. Other
saw-mills have been built by D.M. Smith, J.M. Johnson, D.H. and T.C. Beattie,
The first division of the town into school districts was made in
18l8, by which three districts were made. The second term of the court
in Essex county was held in Brunswick, in David Hyde's barn. The presiding
judges were Daniel Dana, Mills DeForest and Samuel Phelps. The first road
was surveyed by Eben W. Judd, in 1790.
For religious instruction the inhabitants have been almost entirely
limited to the personal perusal of the Bible, and the preaching of the
Methodist itinerancy. Classes were early formed by that, church, but no
house of worship was erected, and but one clergyman was ever located in
Gideon Smith and Elizabeth (Amy), his wife, came from Connecticut
about 1780. He bought several lots of the first division just below the
mouth of Paul stream, on the Connecticut meadow, where he built a log house.
This land is now included in the farm of his grandson, Daniel M. Smith.
His was one of thirteen families who were listed in Brunswick in 1796,
and one of the officers chosen at the organization of the town in that
year, and afterwards many years. His son Daniel was born in Brunswick,
March 30, 1786. Gideon Smith was the father of four sons and three daughters,
viz: Gideon, Arnold, David, Daniel, Elizabeth, Nancy, and one, name not
known. Mr. Smith died in 1801. Gideon, Jr., lived in Guildhall, and his
son Elec A. lives in Maidstone. Daniel spent his life in Brunswick, on
the homestead, to which he added largely during his life. He was a carpenter
by trade, and served the town in many capacities. He married, first,
Betsey Wait, and second, Anna Smith, of Stratford, N.H., who bore him three
sons and two daughters. He died November 19, 1862. His second son, Daniel
Monroe, was born January 1, 1825, and has always lived upon the homestead.
He was engaged in the lumber manufacture about six years. He served as
town representative in 1854-55, and has held other offices of the town,
including that of town clerk nineteen years, and postmaster nearly thirty
years. He married, first, Harriet A. Rolfe, who bore him four children,
and second, Elizabeth M., widow of Royal W.French.
of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887,
Published by Hamilton Child;
was provided by Tom Dunn.
~ 1985 Town Report, Brunswick Springs, VT. List of deaths and marriages
from the annual town reports.
Vermont ~ Brunswick