lies in the extreme northeastern corner of the county and state, in lat.
44º 57', and long. 5º 22', and is bounded north by Hereford,
in Canada, east by the Connecticut river, southwest by Lemington and Averill.
It has an area of little over twenty-nine square miles, or 18,700 acres.
It was chartered by Vermont to John Wheeler and others, February 25, 1782,
but had previously been granted to Jonathan and Arad Hunt, and William
Williams. The town of Norfolk which was chartered to Bezaleel Woodward,
February 27, 1782, was annexed to Canaan, but both being small townships
leaves Canaan still smaller than most of the towns in the state.
is watered by Leach stream, Willard brook and other small streams, which
affords some good mill privileges. Leach stream is about two rods wide
at its junction with the Connecticut, and flows from Leed's pond which
is partly in Canada. There are some fine meadows on the Connecticut and
much good land in other parts of the town.
Canaan had a population of 637. It adopted the town system of schools in
1885. In 1886 it had five common schools, taught during the year by one
male and eight female teachers, who received an average weekly salary,
including board, of $9.18 and $6.11, respectively. There were 173 scholars,
four of whom attended private school. The entire income for school purposes
was $752.31, while the total expenditures were $783.48, with Henry W. Lund,
is a post village located in the eastern part of the town.
Canaan is a post village located in the southern part of the town. The
town was settled by Silas Sargeant, John Hugh and Hubbard Spencer, who
moved their families into town in 1785. As a frontier town it was subjected
to considerable disturbance during the War of 1812. It was in this
town that one Beach was shot by John Dennett, an officer of customs, a,
fuller account of which is found in the County Chapter. Much feeling was
shown in the different broils attendant on the collection of revenues,
and the prevention of contraband articles of war being smuggled to the
of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 415-416)
was provided by Tom Dunn.