lies in the extreme southern part of the county, in lat. 44º 25',
and long. 5º 8', and is bounded north by Victory, northeast by Lunenburgh,
southeast by the Connecticut river, southwest by Waterford, and northwest
by Kirby, the latter towns being in Caledonia county. In area it is one
of the largest towns in the county. It was granted November 7, 1780, and
chartered September 15, 1781, to Reuben Jones and sixty-four others, under
the usual restrictions and reservations of the Vermont charters.
is decidedly an agricultural town. A large portion of the territory
is stony and uneven, but the soil is very strong and fertile. On both the
Connecticut and Moose rivers are fine meadows, and the whole township is
abundantly supplied with never-failing springs of pure soft water. Among
the streams are Hall's brook, issuing from Hall's pond in the southwesterly
part of the town; Miles stream, issuing from Miles pond in the northwesterly
part; Mink brook, near the center; Moose river, in the westerly part; and
with the Connecticut river many fine mill sites are afforded. Hall's pond
is a beautiful sheet of water more than a mile in length and about a half
mile in width. Miles pond is considerably larger. It lies just southwest
of Miles mountain, the highest elevation of land in the town. These ponds
are well stocked with fish. Brooks pond is a small sheet of water in the
central part. The greatest natural curiosity of the township is Miles cave,
a cavern in the Miles mountain, which has never been fully explored.
Concord had a population of 1612. In 1886 the town had thirteen school
districts and thirteen common schools, employing two male and twenty-three
female teachers, to whom was paid an average weekly salary, including board,
of $4.83 and $5.11, respectively. There were 534 scholars, ten of whom
attended private schools. The entire income for school purposes was $2,612.00,
while the total expenditures were $2,065.17, with Mrs. R. T. Johnson, superintendent.
is a flourishing post village, located in the western part of the town
on Moose river, eight miles from St. Johnsbury, and is also a station on
the P. & O. R.R. It was founded by John D. Chase, who built a dwelling
and saw-mill, here, in 1838, and with Levi Howe a gristmill in 1840. The
first store was established by S.S. Hill in 1840, and about the same time
various mechanical shops were put in operation. In 1845, Chase &
Howe erected a second saw-mill, and Mr.Chase and others a foundry and machine
shop. The postoffice was established in 1830. The village now has two churches
(Methodist and Universalist), an hotel, a number of stores and shops,
mills, etc., supports two physicians and a lawyer, and has about fifty
Corner (Concord p. o.) is a post village located in the southwesterly part
of the town east of Hallís pond. It was formerly a place of considerable
business importance, with a flourishing trade with adjoining towns. It
boasted of its physician and its minister long before the adjoining villages
sprang up. Among its early settlers were Hon. Samuel Weatherbee, and Joseph
Frye; Andrew Hardy, who kept the first tavern; Hon. Azarias Williams, who
was a merchant here as early as 1798; and Reuben Grout, who flourished
as a lawyer a few years later. The Concord academy and the Essex County
Grammar school was also a flourishing institution here for many years.
Other villages have, however, taken the major portion of the Corner's business.
Concord (p. o.) is a station on a branch of the P. & O. R.R.. It has
a store and extensive lumber mills.
(p. o.) is also a railroad station and has one church (Methodist Episcopal)
three stores, two lumber-mills, and about twenty dwellings.
Pond (p. o.), a railroad station at the foot of Miles pond, has extensive
timber mills and about a dozen dwellings.
& Bingham's rake factory. In 1844, James Warden began the manufacture
of hand rakes in, the northeastern corner of Peacham, where T.P. Bingham
now is, and has since been almost constantly engaged in the business, till
J. Warden has come to be a name known wherever hand rakes are used, and
gives the article on which it is stamped a standard of excellence. He also
manufactures revolving horse-rakes, drag-rakes, fork handles, etc. In the
fall of 1885 he formed with his son-in-law, J. Warner Bingham, the firm
of Warden & Bingham, doing business at East Barnet. On November 1,
1886, they removed to West Concord, where they employ six men in the manufacture
of rake, fork and hoe handles.
Hibbard's saw-mill, at West Concord, was built by John D. Chase in 1845
and purchased by Mr. Hibbard in 1876. He manufactures about 600,000 feet
of lumber and 3,000 shingles annually.
steam saw-mill, at North Concord, originally erected in 1870, turns out
about 1,500,000 feet of lumber per year, employing thirty-five men.
G. Parsons' flouring-mill, at West Concord, grinds about 40,000 bushels
of grain per annum.
& Parker's shingle and lumber-mill, on Miles brook, was built by James
Darling about 1820. It cuts about 200,000 feet of lumber, and 100,000 shingles
of the town was begun in by Joseph Ball, who came with his family from
Westboro, Mass., in 1783. His son John, born in 1789, was the first child
born in the town, and in consequence thereof received a gratuitous grant
of land from the proprietors.
seven years after the first settlement, there were but seventeen families
in the town. The following from the Poll list of 1799 will give a good
idea of the names of the early settlers: Oliver Perry, Benjamin Streeter,
James Morse, Oliver Cutting, Andrew Scott, David Streeter, Richard Temple,
Daniel Gregory, Noah Vilas, Joseph Streeter, Benjamin Hardy, Levi Ball,
John Hopkins, Samuel Hutchinson, Jonathan Hunter, Nathan Fighter, John
Frye, Solomon Babcock, Amos Underwood, Jonathan Hutchinson, Dolphus Holton,
Joseph Holton, Richard Graves, David Hutchinson, Thomas Ames, Jonathan
Ames, James Willard, Theophilus Grout, Simeon Olcott, John Walker, David
Hibbard, Elijah W. Bingham, John Billings, Lester May, Samuel Weatherbee,
Jr., Oliver May, William Williams, Nathan Wilder, Samuel Weatherbee, Jonathan
Lewis, Joseph Barton, Moses Hill, Josiah Beal, Benjamin May, Benjamin May,
Jr., Francis Chase, Amasa Hudson, William Williams, Jr., Askalus Wilkins,
Thomas Townsend, James Weatherbee, John Frye, Jr., William Hamblet and
town meeting was held at the house of Joseph Morse, October 5, 1794. when
Capt. Samuel Weatherbee was chosen clerk, and Samuel Hudson, collector.
The first grain raised in town was rye, upon the farm of Joseph Morse.
of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 421-423)
was provided by Tom Dunn.