lies in the northeastern part of the county, in lat. 44º 53' and long.
5º 22', and is bounded north by Canaan, east by the Connecticut river,
south by Bloomfield, and west by Averill. It was surveyed by
Eben W. Judd in 1786, and contained by measurement 23,040 acres; and about
600 acres have since been annexed from Canaan, making the present area
nearly 24,000 acres. Its charter was granted by Governor Benning
Wentworth, of New Hampshire, in 1762, to Samuel Averill and sixty-three
exception of the intervals on the Connecticut river the surface of the
town is generally rough and rocky. The highest point of land is the Monadnock
mountain of Vermont, which attains an altitude of about 3,000 feet. From
its summit a magnificent prospect may be obtained. Several streams flow
east and empty into the Connecticut.
Lemington had a population of 222. In 1886 it had four school districts
and three common schools, employing one male and four female teachers,
to whom was paid an average weekly salary, including board, of $3.50 and
$4.00 respectively. There were ninety-four scholars, two of whom attended
private schools. The total income for school purposes was $276.90, while
the entire expenditures were $343.47, with G. Blodgett, superintendent.
(p. o.) is located in the eastern part of the town. Mills De Forest,
the first permanent settler of the town, moved here from Huntington, Conn.,
about 1781. He built the first framed house in the town, in 1790,
the first saw-mill in 1795, and the first grist-mill, in 1810. He
was the first town clerk, and held the office of representative several
terms. He died in 1844, aged seventy-nine years.
the settlement of the town was begun at this early date, it increased but
slowly, for in 1791, ten years thereafter, the population consisted of
only thirty-one souls. Among the early settlers was Lewis Smerrage, who
came here from Connecticut in 1787. He died here February 16, 1856,
aged sixty-six years. John Hugh located here the year previous, 1786, from
Maidstone, though he remained but a few years. The subsequent growth of
the town may be seen by reference to the census table on another page.
of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.;
1764-1887, Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 457-458)
was provided by Tom Dunn.