lies in the southeastern part of the county, in lat. 44º 28' and long.
5º 15' and is bounded northeast by Guildhall, southeast by the Connecticut
river, southwest by Concord, and northwest by Victory, containing an area
of forty-six square miles. It was chartered by Benning Wentworth to David
Page and sixty-eight others, in seventy-four shares, July 5, 1763.
of the township is diversified by a succession of swells running back from
the Connecticut to the west, where it rises in a range of hills near the
Victory line. The most noted elevation is Mount Tug, a name probably derived
from the difficulty in going over it. The soil is generally good and productive,
though in some localities quite stony. The timber of the highlands is generally
hard wood; of the low lands mostly hemlock and spruce. On the intervals
and plains of the Connecticut the timber was originally a valuable white
pine. The town is well watered, for in addition to the Connecticut there
are Neal's pond and several brooks. The pond is a beautiful sheet of water
about a mile long and half a mile wide. Neals brook, Catspaw brook and
Mink brook are considerable mill streams.
Lunenburgh had a population of 1038. In 1886 the town had nine school
districts and ten common schools, taught during the year by two male and
fifteen female teachers, to whom was paid an average weekly salary, including
board, of $6.93 to the former, and $5.15 to the latter. There were 248
scholars, two of whom attended private schools, The entire amount raised
for school purposes was $1,587.42, while the total expenditures were $3,168.64,
with F.D. Hale, superintendent.
is a fine, pleasant post village, located on a beautiful plateau in the
eastern part of the town. It is one of New England's pleasantest villages,
is greatly admired for its surrounding beautiful scenery, and is becoming
quite famous as a summer retreat. The summer resident is well taken care
of here in the pleasant homelike hotels. Mail is received twice daily from
South Lancaster, N. H., M.V.B. Vance, stage proprietor and mail carrier.
The village has two churches (Congregational and Methodist), a half
dozen stores, a wagon shop, grist-mill, three blacksmith shops and about
thirty dwellings. Dr. H. A. Cutting's library and mineralogical cabinet
here is probably unequaled as a private collection in the state.
Lunenburgh (p. o.) is a hamlet in the south part of the Connecticut river.
Silsby's lumber mills, on the outlet of Neal's pond, were built by Joshua
Silsby in 1867. They give employment to thirty hands and turn out about
2,000,000 feet of lumber per year.
settlement was made in what was supposed to be the northeastern part of
the town, in 1764, by David Page, Timothy Nash and George Wheeler. It was
subsequently ascertained, however, that these settlements were located
over the line in Guildhall. They brought their grain and provisions from
Northfield, Mass., in canoes, a distance of more than 150 miles; and during
the Revolutionary war they were in a continual state of alarm, and frequently
annoyed by the Indians and Tories, who killed their cattle, flooded their
houses and carried a number of their inhabitants into captivity, as we
have detailed in the earlier pages of this work.
difficult to determine when the first settlement was made in the present
limits of the town, but probably as early as 1768, by Uriah Cross, Thomas
Gustin and Ebenezer Rice, who made their log huts near the bank of the
Connecticut. In 1791 the population had increased to 119 souls. The
subsequent growth may be seen by reference to the census table on another
page. The town was organized September 11, 1781, and David Hopkins, was
the first town clerk.
of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.;
1764-1887, Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 459-461)
was provided by Tom Dunn.