lies in the eastern part of the county, in lat. 44º 30’ and long.
5º 19', and is bounded northeast by Brunswick, east by the Connecticut
river, southwest by Guildhall and Granby, and west by Ferdinand.
It was chartered by Governor Wentworth, of New Hampshire, October 12, 1761.
lands along the Connecticut river are among the best, and probably no town
in the state has more valuable bottom lands than Maidstone. The uplands
are mountainous and rocky, and not well adapted to purposes of cultivation.
The town is well watered. West pond, in the northwest corner, and Maidstone
lake, a beautiful sheet of water in the western part, three miles in length
and one in width, afford an ample supply for milling purposes. Being well
stocked with fish, these bodies of water are destined to become a favorite
resort for pleasure seekers.
Maidstone had a population of 286. In 1886 the town had four school districts
and four common schools, employing one male and eight female teachers,
who received an average weekly salary, including board of $3.13 and $6.23,
respectively. There were sixty scholars attending school. The entire income
for school purposes was $522.56, while the whole, amount expended was $534.76,
with Jennie K. Stanley, superintendent.
has no village, no postoffice, no store, tavern, lawyer, minister nor doctor.
It depends upon its neighboring towns for all these facilities. It
is simply a quiet, peaceable and healthful agricultural community.
G. Beattie's lumber-mill, on the outlet of Maidstone lake, does an extensive
lumber-mill, in the southern part of the town, on Cutler brook, also does
a large business. It is managed by George V. Allen.
of Maidstone was probably commenced in 1772, but its population has increased
but slowly. In 1791 it had 125 souls, nearly half what it contains
today. The early settlement was attended with great difficulties.
The nearest place where provisions could be had, grain ground or a horse
shod was at Haverhill, N. H., fifty miles down the river. If the freight
could not be brought on horseback, the journey must be made on the river,
as the best road was a bridle path marked by blazed trees. The first settlers
were Arthur and Thomas Wooster, who received from the proprietor’s one
hundred acres of land each. Before 1774 the settlement was increased by
the arrival of Micah Amy, John Sawyer, John Sawyer,Jr., Deliverance Sawyer,
Benjamin Sawyer, Mr. Merrill, Enoch Hall, Benjamin Whitcomb, John French
and Jeremy Merrill, each of whom received a bounty of a hundred acres of
land. Capt.Ward Bailey was an early settler, also a Mr. Marder who
lived near the small brook which still bears his name. David Gaskill, Abraham
Gile, Benjamin Byron, John Hugh, E. Torrey, Joseph Wooster, Reuben Hawkins
and others came into the town about 1786.
Merrill was killed by the falling of a limb from a tree. Probably
the first death in the town. The first public school was taught by Mrs.
?Amy, in 1786, in a log house which stood just east of the present
residence of J.W. Webb.
was the first physician. He remained but a short time. The first tavern
was kept by Isaac Stevens. Abraham Gile kept the first store, and
Isaac Smith the second.
Francis tribe of Indians had a trail passing through this town, and were
a great annoyance to the early inhabitants. During the Revolutionary war
these Indians received a bounty of five dollars for each live captive,
or scalp, taken by them.
wife of Caleb Marshall, after seeing the most valuable of her household
goods buried in the earth, mounted her horse, with a child of about two
years and an infant of three weeks old, and went on, unattended through
the wilderness to her own and her husband's parents in Hampstead, N.H.,
a distance of 160 miles, where she arrived in safety. The infant of three
weeks became the good and faithful wife of Col. Moody Rich.
of savages and Tories from Canada went to the house of Thomas Wooster,
in the northern part of the town, and made captives of Wooster, John Smith
and James Luther, the latter of whom was visiting the girl at Wooster's
who subsequently became his wife. The captives were afterwards taken to
Canada. Luther was redeemed, married the girl from whom he was suddenly
taken, and Wooster and Smith made their escape. It has been related that
a Mr. Chapman, while working in the field, was attacked by Indians and
his head split open with an axe in sight of his wife, who took her three
children and fled to the woods. While hid under the trees and
thick foliage she could hear the Indians come to the house and, imitating
her husband's voice, say, “come back, Molly, the Indians gone - come back,
Molly, come." The Indians finally went away, and the mother and her
children were saved. The Indians at one time went in the night to
the house of Hezekiah Fuller, who, hearing them coming, slipped down behind
the bed. They asked Mrs. Fuller where he was, who replied that he had gone.
They then took her large apron, filled it with sugar and left, much to
the relief of the frightened ones.
of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.;
1764-1887, Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 477-478)
was provided by Tom Dunn.