lies in the western part of the southern half of the county, in lat. 44º
32', and long. 5º 5', bounded northwest by Burke, northeast by East
Haven and Granby, southeast by Lunenburgh and Concord, and south and southwest
by Concord and Kirby. It was granted November 6, 1780, to Captain
Ebenezer Fisk and sixty-four others, though the charter was not issued
until September 6, 1781. By the terms imposed by the charter deed,
five rights, of 300 acres each, were to be reserved for public use, viz.:
One right each towards the support of a college, grammar schools, common
schools, the church and a minister. This 1,500 acres was to be taken
from the full township of 2 3,040 acres; but by an act of the legislature,
passed in 1856, however, a tract of land lying between Victory and Concord,
known as Bradleyvale (in Caledonia county), was divided. and a portion
annexed to Victory, so that the town now has an area of 2,500 acres more
than its original territory.
of Victory, as compared with the surrounding mountainous territory, is
level and unbroken, a large portion of the town being included within the
valley of Moose river. But as the distance increases from the river, the
land becomes more elevated, until it form's a portion of Burke mountain
on the west, an elevation of some 3,000 feet; Mount Tug and Miles mountain
on the east and southeast, and Kirby mountain on the southwest. There is
also an elevation on the north, on the line between Victory and Granby,
called Round Top. There is but one mountain proper, however, wholly within
the limits of the town, Umpire mountain, an elevation of about 2,000 feet.
The Moose river rises in East Haven, and runs in nearly a southerly direction
through the town, affording several excellent mill privileges. There are
also several other streams which empty into this river, as Alder brook,
Umpire or Bog brooks, on the west, and Granby stream on the east, which
are sufficiently large for manufacturing purposes. The timber along
the banks of the Moose river, and its tributaries, is mostly evergreen,
consisting of pine, Tamarack, hemlock, spruce, fir and cedar, together
with a small quantity of elm, maple and birch. As the land becomes
elevated there is a much larger proportion of the timber hard wood, consisting
of birch, beech and sugar maple; and in some sections, especially in the
western part of the town, there is a very large proportion of the latter,
affording excellent sugar orchards, from which considerable quantities
of sugar are manufactured. The soil is generally fertile, and will compare
favorably with that of adjoining towns. It is well adapted to the growing
of potatoes, and most kinds of English grains. Two miles and a half from
the southern boundary of the town, at the junction of the Bog brook with
the Moose river, is a tract of land known as the bog. It consists
of some 3,000 acres of low marshy land, which is usually overflowed once
a year, and frequently oftener. Near the mouth of the brook there is what
is supposed to be a beaver meadows. It is said that it was once so soft
that a man, by stepping upon it, could shake half an acre. It is now, however,
so much hardened that carting can be done over the most of it with safety.
Victory had a population of 321. In 1886 the town had five school districts
and five common schools, with ninety-four scholars, taught during the year
by six female teachers, who received an average weekly salary, including
board, of $5.10. The entire income for school purposes was $1,604.64, while
the total amount expended was $718.35, with Mrs. S.M. Day, superintendent.
Victory (p. o.) is a hamlet located in the southern part of the town.
Crossing (p. o.) is a station on the ?. & L. R. R., and contains three
or four houses.
lumber mills, on road 1, were built by the late Dudley P. Hall, of Lyndon,
about forty years ago. They passed through the hands of various parties,
who did a small business, drawing the lumber to St. Johnsbury in the winter,
as there was no highway which was worthy of the name until within the last
twenty years. In 1880, O.M. Gallup bought the old mill, and seeing
the needs of the business and place, he began a series of improvements
which few would believe a man would contemplate alone, but which have resulted
in there now being a railroad and telephone line here, and instead of one
house, there are twelve and a store, while several others are being built,
together with an hotel. The mill has the capacity for turning out 1,000,000
feet of lumber, and a large amount of shingles, lath, clapboards, etc.,
Hazen's lumber mill, on road 91, was built by him in 1882. It is
operated by both steam and water-power, and does a very extensive business.
Since the mill was built, about twenty dwellings and a store have sprung
up about, it, constituting the largest village in town. Mr. Hazen, who
is a resident of St. Johnsbury, was also an influential factor in
inducing the building of the Victory Branch railroad. The mill gives employment
to from eighty to one hundred hands, and turns out about 5,000,000 feet
of lumber, 700,000 shingles, 2,400,000 lath, 300,000 feet of clapboards,
piano sounding-boards, and a large amount of chair-stock per annum. The
store and office are connected with Mr. Hazen's main office at Miles Pond,
and with his residence at St. Johnsbury, by telephone.
and mill, on road 14, now owned by G.A. Colby and G.B. Day estate, was
built by Judge Kneeland about twenty years ago, and came into the possession
of the present owners in 1880. It has the capacity for turning out
about 1,500 feet of lumber per day.
Wyman & Co.'s steam saw-mill was built by them in 1985. It employs
about twenty-two hands and is well equipped with machinery for manufacturing
all kinds of lumber.
England Lumber Co.'s steam saw-mill, off road 9, turns out about 2,000,000
feet of lumber, 400,000 shingles, 50,000 feet of clapboards, and 500,000
lath per year.
A. Well's lumber-mill, on road 9, was built by Daniel Lee, in 1876, and
came into Mr. Well’s possession in 1882. The mill is operated by water-power,
gives employment to twelve men, and turns out a large amount of lumber
per year. Mr. Wells has here, also, the only gristmill in town.
Lawrence’s carriage and blacksmith shop is located on road 1.
Delworth's general store is located on road 1.
settlement in Victory was made by James Elliot, who located about on the
line between this town and Granby, in 1812. He remained only three
or four years, however. His son Curtis was the first child born in the
township. The first permanent inhabitant of the town was John Shorer, who
moved from Sanbornton, N.H., to Granby in 1815, and in 1822 to Victory.
He was followed that same year by Reuben Sterner, and in the fall of 1825
by Asa Wells, originally from Connecticut, and by Isaac R. Houston. Thus
was commenced the settlement which is now known as North Victory.
of West Victory was commenced in the year 1827, by Timothy Minor, who moved
his family, consisting of a wife and three children, from Lyndon, on the
17th day of January. Previous to this, however, two men, with their families—Clark
Ranney and Eben Clark—moved from Westminster, Vt., to what was then called
the Vale, but which now belongs to Victory. In the fall of
1829, James Towle and Archibald Starks moved from St. Johnsbury,
and in the spring of 1830 they were followed by Jonathan Hill, who moved
from the same place.
child born in West Victory was Fanny M. Minor, April 17, 1827.
death was that of Enoch W. Sanborn, August, 1842, a child about a year
and a half old.
grown person, Mrs. Jeremiah Ingraham, died May 2, 1848, being more than
twenty years after the settlement was commenced.
marriage, that of Jonathan Lawrence and Angeline Towle, occurred October
school, consisting of eight scholars, was taught by Hannah Bean, in the
spring of 1832.
sawmill was built by Joseph Woods, about the year 1830, on Moose river,
on the line between Victory and Bradleyvale. Soon after other families
moved into that part of the town, and formed the neighborhood now known
as South Victory.
did not become an organized town until 1841, the meeting for that purpose
being called by Ansel Hannum, justice of the peace. Isaac R. Houston was
chosen moderator; Loomis Wells, town clerk; Jonathan Hill, Ransom Hall,
John Gates and Chauncey Hildreth, selectmen; Loomis Wells, town treasurer;
Hubbard Gates, first constable; Abraharn Sanborn, James 'Towle and Ansel
Hannum, listers; Timothy Mier, Chauncey Hildreth and Moses C. Kimball,
auditors; Levi P. Shores, Joseph Nickerson and Nathan Boles, fence viewers
; L.R. Houston, John Shores, town grand jurors; Jonathan Lawrence, Nathan
Boles, Elisha Gustin, highway surveyors; Joseph Hall, Chauncey Hildreth,
county grand jurors; Levi P. Shores, Moses C. Kimball and Orin Hall, petit
jurors. The first postoffice was established March 24, 1858, Nott S. Damon
being the first postmaster.
of Caledonia and Essex Counties, VT.; 1764-1887, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 483-486)
was provided by Tom Dunn.