township is situated on the east side of Lake Champlain, opposite to North
Hero and Alburgh. Missisco River passes through Swanton, and fertilizes
a considerable portion of its territory. This river is navigable for lake
vessels to Swanton Falls, six miles from its mouth. These falls descend
twenty feet and, with other smaller streams, give to Swanton a water power
of great value . . . The surface and soil of Swanton are favorable
to agricultural pursuits, with the exception of a part bordering the lake,
which is low, wet, and cold; and which is the favorite abode, in summer,
of wild geese, ducks and other water fowl. The village of Swanton is pleasantly
located, and is the site of a number of manufactories, and of an increasing
trade . . . Before the conquest of Canada by the English, the French
and Indians had a settlement at Swanton Falls, consisting of about fifty
huts, and had cleared some land, on which they raised corn and vegetables.
They had also built a church and a saw mill; and the channel cut through
the rocks, to supply water for the latter, still remains. This place was
occupied by the Indians till the commencement of the revolution. The first
permanent settlers here were John Hilliker and family, about the year 1787.
They were soon joined by other settlers."
of Vermont, Hayward, 1849.
End Cemetery, Swanton VT
Cemetery, Swanton VT
||St. Mary's Cemetery,
||Woods Hill Cemetery,