located in the extreme western part of the county, in latitude 44º
38', and longitude 4º 7', bounded north by Fletcher, in Franklin county,
and Waterville, east by Johnson, Morristown and Stowe, south by Underhill,
and west by Underhill and Fletcher, was granted Nov. 7, 1780, and chartered
August 13, 1781, to Samuel Robinson, John Fassett, Jr., Jonathan Fassett,
and sixty-four others. The town originally contained 23,533 acres, but
two miles from the western part of Sterling were annexed to its area, Oct.,
30, 1828, and again, November 1, 1841, all that portion of Fletcher which
lay upon the south side of the Lamoille river was annexed, making in all,
9,184, acres, so that Cambridge now has an area of 32,717 acres.
In surface the township is rough and uneven, having several prominent
elevations, and lies at the base of Mt. Mansfield, which towers above it
to an altitude of 4,389 feet. Owing to this roughness of surface, it is
much better suited to grazing than grain raising, and, although grain of
all kinds is grown to a fair percentage in certain localities, dairy farming
is the principal occupation, of the inhabitants. The soil varies from a
fine intervale to clay bottoms, and is said to be much better on the uplands
than on the intervales. The timber is that indigenous to the Green Mountain
towns of this locality, with large quantites of maple, from which sugar
is manufactured to a larger extent, it is said, than in any other town
in the State.
The Lamoille river forms the principal watercourse of the territory,
flowing through the center of the town from east to west, and is joined
by numerous minor streams from the north and south, some of which contain
valuable mill-sites. Geologically, the formation of, the town consists
of talcose schist and gneiss, the former underlying the western, the latter
the eastern part.
Unexcelled facilities for the transportation of exports and imports
are afforded by the St. J.& L.C., and the Burlington & Lamoille
railroads, the former of which enters the town from the north, extends
south to Cambridge junction, and there turns to the east, extending into
Johnson, having a station at the junction. The latter road enters the town
from the west, joining the St. J. & L.C. railroad at Cambridge junction,
having stations at Cambridge Borough, Cambridge Center, and the junction.
In 1880, Cambridge had a population of 1,750, and in 1882, was divided
into eighteen school districts, and contained eighteen common schools,
employing three male, and twenty-nine female teachers, to whom was paid
an aggregate salary of $1,583.00 There were 339 pupils attending common
school, while the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October
31st, was $2,120.03, with R. L. Flagg, superintendent.
Cambridge Borough (Cambridge p. o.), the oldest village in the town,
located in the western part, on the Lamoille river, is a station on the
B. & L. railway. It contains two churches, (Methodist, Episcopal, and
Congregational) one hotel, six stores, a saw-mill, and about forty dwellings.
It is a thriving little place, and contains more wealth than most villages
of its size.
The American House, a well-appointed hotel, located at the corner
of Main and South streets, was built by Peleg Stearnes, in 1826. Charles
B. Waite came into possession of the property in 1868, when he changed
the name of the hotel from the “Eagle” to the “Boro House," and in
1882, Thaddeus S. Whipple became the proprietor, and changed the name of
the hotel to the one it now bears.
Cambridge Centre (Jeffersonville p. o.), located near the center
of the town, has excellent railroad communications, being located near
the junction of the St. J.& L.C., and the B. & L. railroads. The
village has one church (Union), two first-class stores, several shops of
different kinds, and about thirty dwellings. Situated in the midst of a
fine grazing country, the village becomes quite a market center, and ships
a large quantity of butter each season.
In 18??, George and David C. Carleton purchased of David C.
Griswold, a large, never-failing spring, located on his property, and constructed
a cement aqueduct from it to the village, a distance of about three-quarters
of a mile, for the purpose of supplying the village with water. In 1877,
the aqueduct, and control of the spring, were purchased by Alonzo Kinsley,
who thus supplies about fifteen families with water.
Pleasant Valley (p. o.) is a hamlet located in the southern part
of the town, about four miles distant from either of the business centers.
North Cambridge (p. o.) is a hamlet located in the northwestern
part of the town.
East Cambridge (p. o.) is a postoffice located in a dwelling on
road 6, in the extreme eastern part of the town, for the convenience of
the inhabitants of that section. John M. Safford's saw and planing mill,
located on road 19, was built by Macoy & Co., in 1865, and operated
by them until 1868, when it was purchased by Mr. Safford. In 1877,
the buildings were destroyed by fire, but were immediately rebuilt.
Mr. Safford now manufactures about 1,000,000 feet of lumber, 500 sets of
bent felloes, and a large amount of chair stock per annum.
Byron G. Macoy's cabinet shop, located on road 19, was purchased
by Mr. Macoy in 1870, and has since been conducted under his management.
He manufactures about 40 coffins and a large amount of furniture each year.
Lucius A. Wheelock's saw-mill, located on road 26, was built by
him in 1877. It cuts about 100,000 feet of lumber per annum.
David C. Griswolds tub-manufactory, located on road 26, was built
by William Lathrop, about the year 1840, as an axe factory, and was purchased
by Mr. Griswold in 1857, who converted it into a carriage shop, carrying
on that business until 1882, when he commenced the manufacture of tubs,
turning out about 50,000 per year.
Joel M. Wilcox's grist and planing mill, located on road 26, was
built by D.D. Safford, in 1862, and was purchased by the present proprietor
in 1876. The mill has every modern convenience, and does custom work.
W. M. Scott’s cabinet shop located on Main st., at Cambridge Borough,
was built by Mr. Burgess about fifty years ago. Mr. Scott manufactures
from forty to eighty coffins and a large amount of furniture per year.
The Wallbridge Saw and Planing-Mill, located on Brewster river,
near road 36, is one of the oldest mills in the town. In 1869, it was purchased
by its present owner, Jonathan Lamplough. It has the capacity for cutting
10,000 feet of lumber per day, in addition to the planing done.
John Spafford, the first settler in the town, came here from Pierpont,N.H.
in May, 1783, cleared two acres of land, which he planted with corn, and
built a log house. In the autumn he harvested his corn, which was
a poor crop, as most of it had been destroyed by an overflow of the Lamoille
river, and returned to Pierpont in November for his family, consisting
of wife and two children. During the next summer, Amos Fassett, Stephen
Kinsley, John Fassett, and Samuel Montague, from Bennington, Vt., and Noah
Chittenden, from Arlington, located upon farms adjoining that of Mr. Fassett.
These settlers were joined by others from time to time, so that in 1791,
the town had a population of 359.
The first proprietors' meeting was held at the house of Jonathan
Robinson, at Bennington, Vt., July 1, 1783, pursuant to a warning published
in the Massachusetts Gazette. At this meeting John Fassett was chosen moderator,
and Joseph Safford, clerk. It was voted to lay out the first division
of lots, and Amos Fassett was appointed surveyor for that purpose. After
this, adjourned meetings were held on August 28, March 26, and May 13,
1784. At this latter meeting it was voted to adjourn until
the 2d day of September, 1784, to meet at the house of Amos Fassett, in
Cambridge, at ten o'clock, A. M.. The records show that proprietors' meetings
continued to be held up to April 21, 1795, when, with the record of a vote
to adjourn until June 10th, following, the records cease.
On the first page of the town book of records, there appears the
certify that all the leaves before this in this book were filled with accounts,
and were cut out in open town meeting, by order of said meeting, on the
29th day of March, being the first town meeting ever held in Cambridge.
this 29th day of March, 1785, by me “JOHN FASSETT, town clerk."
This meeting was held at the house of John Fassett pursuant to a
warning issued on the 15th of the same month. On the 29th of March, 1785,
then, the town of Cambridge was organized, and the proper list of town
officers chosen, which were as follows: David Safford, moderator; John
Fassett, town clerk; Amos Fassett, Stephen Kinsley, and David Safford,
selectman; John Fassett, treasurer; Noah Chittenden, constable; Samuel
Montague, grand juror; Ezekiel Brewster, tything man; David Safford, sealer
of weights and measures; John Brewster, and Noah Chittenden, surveyors
of highways and Silas Billings, culler of shingles. The first justice of
the peace was Amos Fassett, appointed in 1786. Daniel Kinsley
was the first representative, elected in 1785.
The first birth recorded is that of Samantha, daughter of Amos and
Anna Fassett, November 14, 1794. She died at the age of twenty-two
years. Daniel, son of Stephen Kingsley, was the second child born,
in 1784. He lived until 1864. An infant of David Safford was the third,
which died in infancy. Solomon Montague was the fourth. He died but a few
years since, having for a long time enjoyed the title of the “oldest resident”
in the town.
The first death was that of Martha, a daughter of Robert and Thankful
Cochran, April 13, 1788.
The first grist-mill was built on Seymour brook, and owned by a
Mr. Poor. As late as 1791, they came from Morristown to Cambridge to mill,
a distance of twenty miles.
In 1785, the first saw-mill was built, giving the settlers a chance
for the first time to have regular floors and doors for their dwellings.
Frederick Parker built the second saw-mill, at the junction of Bacon, Smedley,
and Boardman brooks.
The first arched bridge in town was built by Enoch Carleton and
Joseph P. Hawley, in 1832. In 1786, the first school was opened,
in a log house, by John Safford, who had a class of twenty-four scholars.
The first deed on record is under the date of April 2, 1785, Cambridge
being then a part of Rutland county. In 1791, the town was
set to Chittenden county, and in 1796, to Franklin county, and finally,
in December, 1836, is the date of the first deed on record in the town
since it was a part of Lamoille county. The date of the incorporation of
these counties, of which Cambridge has been successively a part, may be
found on page 29.
During the war of 1812, Cambridge did her full share in furnishing
soldiers to defend our country, and were it available to us, we should
like to print a full list of those who served in the war. When the late
Rebellion broke out, also, the town was prompt in filling the quota required
of her, the first to enlist being Eli Ellenwood. The highest bounty paid
by the town was $500.00. There were 45 enlisted men furnished, thirty-eight
of whom were killed or died from wounds received, or from disease contracted
while in the service.
Truman Powell, from Manchester, Vt., came to Cambridge among the
early settlers, in 1787, and located upon the old Powell homestead, on
road 34. The farm was given to him by his father, Martin Powell. The deed
for the same was drawn up by Gideon Ormsby; justice of the peace, in 1787,
and reads as follows: "For and in consideration of the natural love and
good- will I have and bear unto my son, Truman Powell, I deed, etc." Truman
was a pensioner of the Revolution, and his son, Egbert, who now resides
on the homestead, was present at the battle of Plattsburgh. Truman had
a family of nine children, two of whom, Egbert, and Mrs. Patty Bently,
of Chicago, are living. Egbert was born in Manchester, Vt., in 1786, and
came to Cambridge with his father, so that he now, at the age of ninety-six
years, is the oldest resident of the town. He has had a family of eight
children, six of whom are living. Truman D., his seventh child, occupies
the old farm-house, built in 1812, and has two sons.
William Campbell was an early settler from Massachusetts. He located
in the northern part of the town, where he resided until his death, which
was occasioned by the falling of a tree. Of his family of six children,
three settled in Cambridge. Jeanette, the eldest child, became the wife
of John Wilson, and reared a family of seven children, of whom John M.,
the fifth, born in 1818, now resides here.
Ezekiel Fullington, from New Hampshire, was also an early settler
in the northern part of the town, where he died in 1837. He had a family
of eight children, four of whom, James, Ezekiel, Alexander, and Henry E.,
permanently located in the town. Ezekiel, Jr., born in 1800, was a resident
of the town until his death, held several of the town offices, and reared
a family of four children, two of whom, Fidelia and Addison E., settled
in the town. Addison E. now resides on road 9.
Daniel Blaisdell came to Cambridge, from Ware, N. H., at an early
day, and located near the Borough, though he finally located upon the old
homestead, on road 2. He reared a family of eleven children, four of whom
settled in the town, and died in 1865, aged ninety years. Ralph, the fourth
born, and only son now living, was born in 1813, and now resides within
fifteen rods of his birthplace, having never been out of the town for a
period exceeding four weeks at one time during his life. Daniel Blaisdell,
2d, son of Daniel, born in 1800, always resided here, and reared a family
of nine sons, only one of whom, Daniel, Jr., is now a resident of the town.
Jonathan Blaisdell, a brother of Daniel, came here with Daniel, and located
in the northern part of the town, where he died in 1842, aged seventy years.
Of his family of seven children, two became residents of the town. Monro,
his fifth son, born in 1818, now resides on road 16. It is said he was
the first to introduce pure blood Jersey cattle into the town of Fletcher.
Benjamin Macoy emigrated from Ireland, and at an early date in the
history of Cambridge, located in the eastern part thereof, where he resided
until his death. Three of his seven children became residents of the town.
Daniel, his second son, born in 1800, resided here until 1855, when he
removed to Oneida, N.Y. Two of his sons, Byron G. and Wesley D., still
Jonah Brewster, from Bennington, Vt., came to Cambridge among the
early settlers, and is said to have cleared the first land where the present
Center village now is. Here, near Brewster river, which received its name
in his honor, he resided until his death, in 1833. His family consisted
of eight children, five of whom settled in the town. Elijah, his second
son, born in 1779, died here in 1843. Two of his family of six children
settled in the town, of whom Solon V., born in 1818, now resides on road
Erastus Hawley, of Hinesburgh, an early settler in the eastern part,
was a harness-maker and saddler until his death. William, the third of
his four children, born here in 1801, also in the same trade, died in 1844.
The third of his four children, N.A., born in 1837, now resides on road
Benjamin Griswold, one of the first settlers of Bristol, Vt., removed
from there to Enosburgh, and thence to Cambridge. His youngest son, Benjamin,
born in 1797, came to this town with his parents, and died on the old home-stead,
in 1878. His son, Leonard S., now occupies the old farm, on road 32.
Robert Cochran, from Bennington, an early settler in the eastern
part, died in old age. He reared a family of ten children, all but one
of whom located in the town. Robert, his second son, born in 1790, served
in the war of 1812, resided here until 1840, then removed to the West,
where he died in 1850. Samantha, one of thirteen children, born in 1808,
still resides here.
Walter and Amasa Cady, from Connecticut came to Cambridge among
the early settlers, and made choice of farms in the western part of the
town. Walter's family consisted of one son and four daughters. Alpheus,
the youngest of the children, born in 1800, married Samantha Stevens in
1830, and reared a family of four sons and one daughter. The only one of
the family now residing here is Harrison F., on road 42. He was born in
1836, married Sophronia M. Parker, in 1863, and has had five children,
two of whom died.
John Dickinson, from Northfield, Mass., came here in 1790, located
in the southern part, where he resided until his death, in 1826. Three
of his nine children are now living, and one, Samuel, in this town, on
road 22. Samuel has three children, all in this town as follows: Aurella
E., wife of F. S. Edwards; Loraine, wife of Charles Holmes; and Royal A.,
who married Ellen Hebb, in 1866, the union having been blessed with four
John Wires came to this town, from Leicester, Mass., about the year
1790. In 1797, he married Miss Anna Walbridge, and shortly after
purchased a farm on road 32, now owned by his son, Harlow, and where he
spent the remainder of his life. He was for many years known as Gen. John
Wires, having served at the battle of Plattsburgh, and also held offices
in the home militia. He was high sheriff of Franklin county for twenty
years, and also held other positions of trust. Of fourteen children seven
are now living. Harlow, the youngest, born in 1830, and who occupies the
homestead; was married in 1861, to Miss Sarah A. Morgan.
Abner Brush, from Huntington, L. I., came to this town about the
year 1790, and located at North Cambridge. Soon after, he removed to Cambridge
Borough, where he worked at the tailors' trade until 1802, when he built
the house where his fifth son, Salmon, was born in 1804, and now resides,
being one of the oldest houses in the town. From 1802 to 1805, he was engaged
in mercantile pursuits, and from that time until 1831, in the hotel business.
He died during the latter year, aged sixty-eight years. Salmon commenced
the practice of medicine in 1833, married Miss Seviah Lovegrove in 1835.
Two of their family of five children, Edwin R., a practicing physician,
and Mary L., wife of Burton S. Ellenwood, reside in the town.
John Safford, from Bennington, Vt., came to, Cambridge in 1790,
and located in the western part of the town, upon the farm now owned by
his grandson, Samuel M. He reared a family of ten children, eight
of whom settled in the town, and died in 1857, aged ninety-two years.
John Wood, from Massachusetts, came here in 1792, and located upon
the farm now owned by his grandson, Hiram. David, the second of his four
children, born in 1781, resided here until his death. Hiram, the third
of his eight children, born in 1814, has always resided on the old homestead.
Levi Atwood came to Cambridge, from Massachusetts, in 1794, and
located in the northern part of the town, on road 7, where his son, Norman,
now resides. Norman was born in 1809, and has held most of the town offices.
Ephraim Fullington, from Raymond, N. H., came to this town in 1796,
and located upon the farm now owned by his sons, Bradbury and John T.,
where he resided until his death, in 1844, aged seventy-four years. Ten
of his twelve children arrived at a mature age. Sarah Jane Fullington,
the eighth child of Ephraim, born in 1811, now resides on road 22.
Joseph Gallup, born in Rhode Island, in 1774, came here in 1796,
locating on road 37, where he purchased thirty acres of land. This small
farm, by careful industry, he gradually increased, until at the time of
his death he owned 700 acres. He reared eleven children, six are now living;
two in town.
Francis Green, born in this town in 1797, followed the trade of
a Carpenter and joiner until forty years of age, when he purchased a farm
of 300 acres on road 7, which he worked until age prevented. Julius W.,
his only child, born in 1847, has always resided on the old homestead.
He married Emily S. Raymore in 1867, and now has a family of three children.
Rev. Samuel Holmes, a Baptist clergyman from southern Vermont, came
here about 1800, and located on road 37. He reared eight children, none
of whom are now living. His grandson, Orlando, resides on road 27.
Nathaniel Read, from Massachusetts, came here in 1800, and located
upon the farm now owned by his grandson, Silas H. He reared a family
of eleven children, six of whom are settled in the town, and died October
Ira Morgan, of Pownal, Vt., born in 1773, came to Cambridge about
1800. In 1803, he married Mary Barber, by whom he had four children, and,
in 1817, he married his second wife, Mary Phillips, this union being blessed
with four children, two of whom now reside here. He died in 1848, aged
seventy-five. William S., his fifth child, born in 1817, occupies the old
homestead, and has never been absent from town six consecutive days.
William Walker, from Brookfield, Mass., located in the northern
part in 1800, where he died in 1813. Lyman, the youngest of his nine children,
born in 1811, resided on the old homestead, held many of the town offices,
and died in 1879. He reared five children, all of whom now reside here.
Timothy Thompson came from Simsbury, Conn., in 1803, and cleared
the farm now owned by his son, Daniel C. In 1805, he brought his
family and continued his residence until his death, in 1837, aged fifty-five
years. Seven of his children are now living, two in Cambridge. His wife,
Tryphena Barber, survived his death thirty-five years, dying at the age
John Austin, from Windsor, Vt., located in the western part of the
town, in 1810, where he died in 1843, aged seventy years. Enoch, the eldest
of his eight children, born in 1804, is still a resident of the town.
Nathan Smilie came from Massachusetts about the year 1811, and located
upon the farm now owned by his son, Henry. He represented the town in the
legislature, and served in other positions of trust, and died here at an
advanced age. Henry, his fourth son, was born in 1826, and resides here.
William Melendy came from New Hampshire about the year 1812, and
located upon a farm in that portion of the town which was subsequently
annexed from Sterling. He reared ten children, five of whom settled in
the town. William, the oldest, born in 1819, now resides on road 8. He
represented his town in the legislature in 1878. Nathaniel, a twin of William,
Sr., came into the town with his brother, and located in the eastern part,
where he resided until 1835, and then removed to the northern part, where
he died in 1862. Of his family of eleven children, four are now residents
of the town. Alfred, one of the younger children, born in 1823, resided
on road 8. Crosby Melendy, son of Nathaniel, reared a family of four
children, three of whom settled in the town. John F. Melendy, born here
in 1852, has resided in the town all his life, with the exception of four
Samuel Blaisdell, from Bennington, Vt., located in the central part
of the town at an early day, where he died in 1812, aged eighty years.
He reared nine sons and four daughters, nearly all of whom settled in the
town. Joseph, the second son, born in 1789, came with his father, and spent
the remainder of his life here, excepting the last few days, which were
passed where he died, in Brookfield. Of his family of nine children, only
one settled in the town. Harry, his oldest son, born in 1805, still resides
Willard Griswold, from Springfield, Vt., came here previous to 1820,
and commenced work as a carpenter. In 1825, he built the house now
occupied by his son, Alonzo C. During his long life here, he
held the office of town clerk from 1839 to 1848, and served as representative
two terms. Of his family of eight children, four now reside in town. Alonzo
C., the youngest child, born in 1841, occupies the old homestead on road
26. Willard H., the fourth child, born in 1831, was engaged in mercantile
pursuits from 1856 until 1875, and has held the office of town clerk since
Asa Adams came here from Massachusetts about 1818, and located a
little southeast of Jeffersonville, where he died Sept. 12, 1861, aged
eighty-two years. Elijah, his youngest son, born in 1809, now resides on
Erastus Hawley, from Connecticut, came here from Middlebury, in
1820, and located upon the farm now owned by his grandson, Almon A.
Here he kept a hotel for some years, in the house where three generations
of the family have been born. Almon A., only son of Russell D., born in
1839, married Adelia D. Stinehour, in 1862, and has a family of five children.
Patrick Duffy, from Ireland, came to Cambridge about 1820, and located
on road 49, where he resided until his death in 1865, aged sixty-four.
He had a family of eight children. Margaret E., the eldest, became the
wife of Edward Henley; in 1850. Mr. Henley died in 1875, leaving four children.
Hon. John Warner was born at Brookfield, Mass., in 1780. He received
a common school education at that place and in Sturbridge—his only stock
with which to begin the fortunes of life. In 1801, at the age of twenty-one
years, he started on foot for this town, with the whole of his extra personal
attire in his hand. In spite of the most rigid economy his scanty funds
were insufficient to last him through the journey, so he was obliged to
work a month to procure more, and when he arrived here the contents of
his exchequer amounted to thirty-five cents. He hired himself out to Nathaniel
Read, as a journeyman currier for two years, and at the expiration of that
term of service he engaged in the business on his own account, following
it for fifty years, amassing a fortune and becoming a large land-owner.
During his later years he devoted his time to farming. All through his
life, however, he conducted his business in the interests of the poor,
helping them in every manner possible. In 1805, he married Sally Read,
a daughter of his former employer, by whom he reared a family of seven
children, three of whom survived him. In 1814, he went as a volunteer to
the battle of Plattsburgh, taking an active part in the engagement, paying
his own expenses. He also held for successive years nearly all the civil
offices of the town. In 1823-'24, he represented his townsmen in the legislature,
and, in 1842-'43, was elected one of the assistant judges. Possessed of
strong and decided judgment, he was often called to act as administrator
in the settlement of estates, universally giving satisfaction. A friend
of the poor, the widow and the orphan, and a liberal supporter of education,
Mr. Warner so endeared himself to the people of Cambridge that the day
of his death, September 1, 1863, was one of universal mourning among them.
For a long series of years he and his two sons, Chauncey and Harrison,
by mutual consent used each others names in a large business with the utmost
harmony. His son Chauncey, born in 1815, still resides here. He also possesses
a large fortune, and by use of it shows that he has inherited his father's
love for benevolent actions. Among the many generous acts he has performed
was the donation, two years since, of $25,000.00 to the citizens of St.
Albans, towards establishing a home for friendless children. This benevolent
enterprise has been the means of rescuing many little waifs from want,
who now live to bless the Warner Home for Little Wanderers. In the spring
of 1883, he also purchased the large dwelling and ample grounds of E. A.
Smith, at St. Albans, for the establishment of a free hospital.
Henry Stowell, from Connecticut, came to Cambridge about the year
1823, and located at the Borough. He was a graduate of Middlebury college,
and practiced law until his death, in 1872. His son, Henry J., born in
1826, now resides here.
Elisha Bentley, born at Jericho, in 1811, came to Cambridge when
seventeen years of age, and for about twelve years was engaged in mercantile
pursuits. He represented the town in the legislature, in 1851 and 1856,
and the county in 1861 and 1862, and has also been sheriff one year. His
family consists of a wife and five children.
Edward Dyer, a native of Rhode Island, immigrated to Clarendon,
Vt., in 1789, at the age of fifteen years, but for a period of more than
half a century, he was a citizen of Rutland, where he was rated as a man
possessed of sound judgment, energy of character, and that knowledge of
human nature which would have made him a power in any walk of life. Clara
D., his fifth child, became the wife of Gardner Gates, in 1831. Their family
consisted of three sons, one of whom, Clarence, is engaged in mercantile
pursuits at Cambridge village.
Jonas Hobart, from Hollis, N. H., came to Westford, Vt., in 1800,
where he spent the remainder of his life. Charles, his fifth child, born
in 1816, came to Cambridge in 1877, and took up his residence on the place
owned for many years by his grandfather, Francis Faxon.
Thomas Edwards, born at Bedford, Eng., in 1790, came to Cambridge
in 1837, and located in the southeastern part of the town. His family consisted
of three sons and two daughters. Two of his sons now reside here, Matthew,
on road 22, and Thomas, on road 24.
George W. Powell, the oldest son of Fernando Powell, was born in
1838. He resided on road 39, until twenty-five years of age, then removed
to road 24, where he died, in 1880, aged forty-two years, leaving a wife
and five children.
William Hebb emigrated from England, in 1838, and located in Canada,
where he remained about three years, then came to this town, remaining
until his death, in 1857, at the age of fifty-four years. Mark E., his
youngest son, now resides on road 16.
Darius Case, from Connecticut, came to Cambridge June 10, 1839,
and located in the northern part of the town, where he died, in 1868, aged
sixty-six years. Addison B., the youngest of his ten children, born in
1826, is now a resident of the town, on road 13.
Harmon Morse, born in Fairfield, Franklin county, in 1815, removed
to this town in 1840, and located upon the farm he now occupies. Two of
his sons, Anson D. and Harmon N., are professional men, the former a professor
of history and political economy, the latter of chemistry.
McKay Campbell emigrated from Scotland in 1843, and in 1876, located
.in Cambridge, engaging in the hotel business.
Lyman Larabee, from Berkshire, located in this town, where he remained
until his death, in 1815, aged eighty-six years, having reared a family
of twelve children.
George E. Melvin, the only son of Edwin Melvin, one of the early
settlers of the town, was born here in 1851. He married Miss Emma R. Blair
in 1871, and since 1875, has been engaged in mercantile pursuits. He has
one son, Edwin N.
Joel Putnam, the second child of Luther Putnam, an early settler
in Fletcher, Franklin county, was born in 1814, and came to Cambridge in
1856, locating upon the farm he now occupies.
Samuel Wheelock, an early settler in Eden, came to Cambridge a number
of years ago, and died here in 1878. Edwin, his second son, has been located
in the town as a Congregational clergyman for the last twenty-seven years.
Edwin was born in 1822, graduated from the University of Vermont, was a
member of the legislature in 1866 and 1867, has been superintendent of
schools fifteen years, and held various other positions of trust.
The Congregational Church, located at Cambridge, was organized by
Rev. Ithimar Hibbard, of Bennington, February 18, 1792, with twelve members
The church building is a wood structure, built in 1805, being now the oldest
church in Northern Vermont, and capable of seating about 300 persons. The
society now has sixty-seven members, with Rev. Edwin Wheelock pastor, who
has held the position twenty-seven years.
The Methodist Church, located at Cambridge, was organized in 1848,
with thirty-nine members, by Elder Hiram Meeker. The first pastor was Rev.
Salsbury S. Ford. The church building was erected in 1849, and remodeled
in 1863, so that it is now a comfortable structure capable of seating 250
persons, and is valued at $3,500.00. The society has ninety-two members,
with Rev. C. S. Vail, pastor.
was provided by Tom Dunn.
of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, VT.; 1883-1884, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 66-69)
–1884 Cambridge Business Directory
Vermont Historical Society
Vermont ~ from Wikipedia
Lamoille County, Vermont