a lumbering town located in the northern part of the county, in lat. 44º
22’, and long. 4º 25’, bounded north by Lowell, in Orleans county,
and Montgomery, in Franklin county, east by Craftsbury, in Orleans county,
south by Hyde Park and Johnson, and West by Belvidere, was granted November
7, 1780, and chartered August 28, 1781, the charter deed reading as follows:
The Governor, Council, and General Assembly of the Freemen of the
State of Vermont: To all people to whom these presents shall come, Greeting:
Know ye, that whereas Col. Seth Warner and his associates, our worthy friends,
viz.: The Officers and Soldiers of his regiment in the line of the Continental
Army, have, by petition, requested a grant of unappropriated land within
the State, in order for settling a new plantation, to be converted into
a township: We have therefore thought fit, for the encouragement of their
laudable designs, and as a consideration, in part, for their past meritorious
services to their country; And do, by these presents, in the name and by
the authority of the Freemen of the State of Vermont, give and grant the
tract of land unto the said Seth Warner, Lieutenant-Col. Samuel Safford,
and the several persons hereafter named, in equal rights or shares.
Then follows the names of Warner and those who served in his regiment,
seventy-two in all, and the shares each should possess, the document being
signed by Thomas Chittenden, Governor of the State. Until 1828, the town
had an area of only 23,040 acres, but on the 30th day of October, of that
year 13,440 acres were annexed from Belvidere, so that the township now
has an area of 36,480 acres, one of the largest in the State.
In surface, Eden is rough and mountainous, and made quite picturesque
by numerous ponds and rivers. The principal elevations are Belvidere, Hadley,
and Norris mountains. Belvidere mountain, situated in the northwestern
part of the township, and partly in the town from which it takes its name,
is an elevation of considerable height. Its rocky sides are well timbered,
but at its summit there is a small open space affording an excellent view
of the surrounding beautiful scenery, a view extending beyond the historic
Champlain on the west, and to the White Mountains on the east. Tradition
has it that there is a copper mine somewhere on this mountain where the
Indians were wont to gather the metal. This tradition has never been verified,
however, and probably has no foundation in fact. Mounts Hadley and Norris
lie in the northeastern part of the town, and are elevations of no mean
height. The surface of Mt. Hadley presents rocky, jagged, and, on the whole,
quite picturesque aspect. There is said to be a small pond at its summit.
The soil of the township is mostly a fertile, sandy loam, which
is irrigated by numerous streams, springs, and ponds. Of the latter, no
less than nine are distributed thoughout the town. The principal of these,
Worth Pond, lies alongside the road leading from Eden to Lowell, and is
about two miles in length by a half mile in width. Two peninsulas jutting
out from the north and south ends divide the sheet into two distinct bodies,
which are connected by a narrow strait, or channel. This pond was formerly,
much larger than it now is, owing to an artificial dam that was erected
at its outlet. About the year 1803, this darn suddenly broke away, allowing
the huge body of water to flood down the narrow outlet. This catastrophe,
though destructive, is said to have been a grand and imposing sight. The
resistless torrent swept away everything in its course, tearing from their
foundations huge rocks and lofty trees. The Gihon river, with its numerous
branches and tributaries forms the principal water-course, flowing a southerly
direction into Hyde Park. There are several other good sized streams, however,
many of which afford excellent mill privileges. Many acres of spruce, and
hard wood timber are to be found in the town, though much has been cut,
and many thousand feet are being cut each season. Of the many fine farms
located through out Eden, most are devoted to dairy farming; but the principal
occupation of the inhabitants is lumbering, in its various branches.
In 1880, Eden had a population of 934, and in 1882, contained
nine common schools, governed on the town principle, employing twelve female
teachers, to whom was paid an aggregate salary of $575.50. There were 200
pupils attending common school, while the entire cost of the schools for
the year, ending October 31st, was $662.17, with Edwin C. White, superintendent.
Eden Mills, a Post Village, located in the central part of the town,
contains one church (Methodist), an hotel, two saw-mills, three clapboard
and one grist-mill, two blacksmith shops and about fifteen dwellings.
Eden (p. o.), a hamlet located near the central part of the town,
consists of one store and half a dozen dwellings.
C.A. & E.C. White's starch factory, located on road 7, was built
by James Brown, in 1866. In 1869, it came into the possession
of the present proprietors, and, with the exception of two seasons, has
since been operated by them. The firm employs about four hands, and uses
from five to twenty-five thousand bushels of potatoes per annum.
H.H. & 0.E. Newton's saw-mill, located on road 12 1/2
was built by 0.E. Newton and James Brown, in 1874. Mr. Brown
subsequently withdrew from the firm, and Henry H. Newton assumed his interest.
The mill gives employment to about fifteen hands, and turns out from five
to eight hundred thousand feet of lumber annually.
C.A. & E.F. White’s clapboard-mill, located on road 7, gives
employment to three men, and manufactures about 300,000 feet of lumber
Stearns & Moseley's saw and grist-mill and butter-tub
factory, located on road 27, was built by a Mr. Blake, in 1830. The
property changed hands several times and finally was purchased by the present
owners in April, 1881. They added the business of manufacturing shingles
and butter-tubs, and also erected the grist-mill. The firm now employs
eleven men in their saw-mill, manufacturing 500,000 feet of lumber annually.
When the butter-tub factory is in operation it gives employment to fifteen
men, and turns out from 50,000 to 75,000 tubs per annum.
White & Whittemore's saw and clapboard-mill, located on road
7, was built by the present owners, in 1868, the clapboard manufactory
not being added until two years later, or in 1870. The firm now employs
from six to nine men, and manufactures about 800,000 feet of dressed lumber
and 200,000 feet of clapboards per annum.
William L. Ober's saw-mill, located on road 32, was built a number
of years ago by L.H.Noyes. In 1868, it was purchased by the present
proprietor, and by him entirely rebuilt and furnished with improved machinery.
Mr. Ober employs from four to ten men and manufactures about 600,000 feet
of lumber annually.
Jonas T. Stevens's grist and saw-mill, located on road 22, was built
by M. Mason, who carried on the business for a number of years. After several
changes of proprietors, the property was purchased, in 1880, by Mr. Stevens,
who instituted many improvements and repairs, so that the mill now employs
about twenty hands, who manufacture 1,500,000 feet of lumber per annum.
Mr. Stevens also operates a planing-mill in connection with the sawmill.
The first settlement in Eden was commenced in 1800, by Thomas H.
Parker, Moses Wentworth, and Isaac Brown. The town was organized March
31, 1802, the meeting being held at the residence of Thomas H. Parker,
where the following list of officers was chosen: Moses Wentworth, town
clerk; Archibald Harwood, treasurer and constable; Isaac Brown, Thomas
McClinathan and William Hudson, selectmen; Dada Hinds, Jedediah Hutchins
and Jonas Joslyn, listers; and Eli Hinds, Jeduthan Stone and William Hudson,
highway surveyors. The first justice of the peace was Thomas H. Parker,
chosen in 1800, he being also chosen as the first representative, in 1802.
The first physician was Dr. Eaton, father of ex-Governor Eaton, who remained
here about two years. The first child born in the town was Eden, son of
Isaac and Lydia Brown.
Lemuel Warren came from Massachusetts in 1800, and located upon
the farm now owned by his son and grandson, where he reared a family of
seven children, five of whom settled in the town. Mr. Warren died in 1824.
Asa, the third son of Lemuel, born in 1800, remained on the old homestead
until his death. William A., his second son, born in 1829, now occupies
a portion of the homestead. Calvin D., the oldest son of Lemuel, also resides
on the old farm.
Charles Whittemore, from New Hampshire, came to Eden about the year
1800, locating upon a farm near the eastern shore of North Pond, where
he resided most of the remaining years of his life, rearing a family of
eight children, three of whom are now living, one, Ira, in this town. Mr.
Whittemore held many of the town offices, and was much respected by his
Eli Hinds, from Hubbardston, Mass., came to Eden in the spring of
1801, being, according to a sermon preached at the funeral of his oldest
son, Eli, the first person who entered the town with a team of any kind.
He had a family of four sons and three daughters. Two of the sons served
in the war of 1812, and two, Freelove and Abel S., are now living, the
latter, born in 1809, being one of the oldest residents of the town. Mr.
Hinds held many of the town trusts, and was actively interested in church
Nathan Adams came to Eden with his father, Asa, in June, 1803, from
Rutland, Mass. He subsequently located on a farm in the northern part of
the town, where he resided a number of years, and finally, after various
changes of residence, he died upon a farm now owned by one of his grandsons,
his death occurring in 1854, aged sixty years. Of his family of seven children,
five are now living. Harmon S., his second son, born in 1819, has always
been a resident of the town. He has reared a family of four children. MasonAdams,
the youngest son of Asa, born in 1801, has been a resident of the town
since 1803. Mason has had a family of four children, two of whom settled
Abel Smith, from Hubbardston, Mass., located on a farm in the central
part of the town, at an early date. He was a shoemaker by trade, but the
latter part of his life he devoted entirely to farming. His death occurred
in 1860, at the age of seventy-eight years. His family consisted of twelve
children, all of whom located in the town, and three of whom are now living.
Asa, his sixth child, born in 1809, now occupies the old homestead. John
H., the second son of Asa, born in 1840, has been a resident of the town
all his life.
John Brown, from Rocksboro, N.H., came to Eden in 1806, and located
upon a farm in the northern part of the town, where he died in 1848, aged
seventy-two years. He reared a family of twelve children, ten of whom are
now living, the youngest being sixty-two, and the oldest eighty-two years
of age. John was at the battle of Plattsburgh, and served the town as justice
and town clerk for a period of thirty years. Charles P., the fifth
child of John, born in 1807, now resides on road 28.
Massa Bassett, from Keene, N.H., came to Eden in the spring of 1808,
locating near the western border of the town, where he reared a family
of eight children, and was a leader among his townsmen for many years.
George, his second son, born in 1810, resided here until his death, in
1879, leaving a family of five children. George was for many years actively
interested in town affairs, holding many of the town offices. Two of his
children now reside here. William G., born in 1838, is a large real estate
owner, located on road 21. He has a wife and two children. Lucius Hiram,
the youngest child, born in 1853, now resides on road 27, with a wife and
William C. Atwell, from Wentworth, Mass., came to this town in 1814,
making the first permanent settlement on the farm now owned by his son,
James. On this farm is said to have been built the first frame barn in
the town, and which is yet in use. William died in 1867, aged seventy-seven
years. He was a physician by profession, and served his townsmen in this
capacity, and in various town offices, faithfully and well. Of his family
of nine children, two, James and Davis, now reside here. The former was
born in 1831, has a family of two children, and resides on road 21. The
latter, born in 1836, is a farmer, located on road 22.
Jonas Harrington came to Eden, from Connecticut, in 1817, locating
upon a farm on road 10, where he died in 1847, aged sixty-two years. He
served in the war of 1812, and received a severe wound while in the service.
His family consisted of seven children, all of whom settled in the town.
Jacob, his oldest son, born in 1812, now resides on road 21 cor 9, having
reared a family of four children, three of whom reside in the town.
James Kelley, from New York, located in the eastern part of the
town at an early date, where he died in 1860, aged sixty-one years. John
D., the fourth son of his seven children, born in 1847, now resides on
Freeborn White, from Northbridge, Mass., came to Eden in 1830, after
a short residence in Waterville. He located upon a farm on road 19, where
he resided about fifteen years, then resided with his several children
until his death. Charles A., the second of his eight children, born in
1812, has been a resident of the town since his parents settled here, and
is now actively engaged in the manufacture of lumber and starch.
Amasa Ober and his wife came to this town in 1832, locating upon
new land on road 32. Here Mr. Ober resided until his death, in 1866, at
the age of fifty-five years. His wife, Margaret Co[?], still survives him.
She possesses one of those sturdy natures that seem to especially adapt
a woman for the partner of a pioneer. She shared the privations incident
to a new settlement, with her husband, working both in the field and in
the kitchen. During the past twenty-eight years she has manufactured 1,558
yards of carpeting, in addition to her usual household duties. Benjamin
Ober, cousin to Amasa, located on road 30, in 1836, upon the farm now occupied
by his widow and his son, Frank B. Peter Ober, brother of Amasa,
came here the same year with Benjamin, and located upon an adjoining farm,
where he resided until his death.
Amasa Stevens, from Hartland. Vt., came to Eden in 1832, locating
at Eden Corners, where he worked at his trade, carpenter and millwright.
In 1859, he commenced the manufacture of lumber. Jonas T., his youngest
son, born in 1842, has always been a resident of the town, and is now extensively
engaged in the manufacture of lumber.
During the late war Eden furnished seventy-five men, nineteen of
whom were killed, or died from wounds or exposure, received while in the
Religious meetings were held at an early date in the town, by itinerant
ministers who held services in barns and private dwellings. Most of the
early settlers were strong Calvinists; but Rev. Wilbur Fisk, a Methodist
minister, finally came here, in 1818, and made many converts, since which
time that denomination has been the strongest.
The Methodist church, located at Eden Mills, was organized by Rev.
Wilbur Fisk, in 1823, with fifteen members. Rev. Schuyler Chamberlin was
the first pastor. The first church building was erected in 1831, and gave
place to the present edifice in 1864, a comfortable wood structure capable
of seating 300 persons, and valued at $1,500.00, though its original cost
was $2,000.00. The society now has sixteen members, with Rev. J. W. Hitchcock,
The Universalist church was organized in 1834. The society is now
The Congregational church was organized November 3, 1812, being
the first church organized in the town. The first pastor was Rev. Joseph
Farrar, who commenced his labors November 24, 1811, and was dismissed from
his charge December 20, 1815. The society is now very small, with no regular
The Advent church has a small society, with Elder Albert Stone,
of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, VT.; 1883-1884, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 77-79)
was provided by Tom Dunn.
–1884 Eden Business Directory