located in the southeastern part of the county, in lat. 44º 29', and
long. 4º 29', is bounded northeasterly by Wolcott, southeasterly by
Woodbury, southwesterly by Worcester, and northwesterly by Morristown,
thus lying seventeen miles north from Montpelier, and thirty-three east
from Burlington. The township contains an area of 23,040 acres, granted
by the State to Samuel Elmore, from whom it derived its name, and sixty-four
others, November 7, 1780, though the charter was not issued until August
The surface of the town is somewhat uneven and broken, especially
in the western part, where the territory is cut by the "Hogback" range
of mountains. On the lower slopes of these, and in the vicinity of Elmore
pond, in the northern part of the town, are found some of the most highly
cultivated farms in the Lamoille valley if not in the whole State. The
soil is of a good quality and well watered. The several streams of the
northern part fall into the Lamoille river, while those of the southern
part flow into the Winooski. Elmore pond, covering an area of 500 acres,
is a beautiful little sheet of water lying in the northern part of the
town. Several other small ponds are formed throughout the town. The timber
is mostly of the hardwood varieties.
The geological structure of the territory is composed of rocks of
the talcose schist formation. Several minerals of value have been discovered,
among which are iron and copper ores. The former was at one time quite
extensively wrought, but nothing during late years has been done with it.
In 1880, Elmore had a population of 682, and in 1882, was divided
into nine school districts and contained eight common schools, employing
one male and fifteen female teachers, to whom was paid an aggregate salary
of $804.90. W.E. Colby was school superintendent.
Elmore, a post village located in the northern part of the town,
contains one church (Methodist), an hotel, store, and about a dozen dwellings.
The village is pleasantly situated on, Elmore pond, and commands a fine
prospect of the surrounding country.
East Elmore (p. o.) is a hamlet located in the eastern part of the
town. A Methodist society was organized here in 1870, and now has
about fifty members, with Rev. X. Udall, pastor. Services are held in the
Woodbury & Ward's saw-mill, located in the northern part of
the town, on Pond brook, was formerly used as a starch factory, being converted
into a saw-mill in 1881. It has the capacity for cutting 1,000 feet of
lumber per hour. The mill is also supplied with planing and matching machine
and a shingle saw.
Gray's saw-mill, located in the northeastern part of the town, on
Eastbranch, was built in 1855, by L.H. Gale. It was purchased by the present
proprietor, George Gray in 1879, who manufactures about 800,000 feet of
lumber per annum.
L.A. Gale's saw-mill, located in the eastern part of the town,
on East branch, was built in 1871, by George Gray and Mr. Gale. The mill
turns out about 500,000 feet of lumber per year, most of which is dressed
before it is shipped.
George A. Morse's saw-mill, located at East Elmore, was built about
the year 1871 by James and Ira Youngs. Mr. Morse manufactures about 1,000,000
feet of lumber per annum.
F.B. Morse's shingle and clapboard-mill, located on road 30,
was built in 188-81. The building is 40 by 60 feet, three stories in height,
and well equipped for the purposes for which it is intended. Mr.
Morse intends to put in a gristmill at no distant day.
A.P. & F.L. Slayton's saw-mill, located in the southeastern
part of the town, on Hardwood Platte brook, was built in 1860, being started
on Thanksgiving day of that year. The rnill operates a circular saw and
cuts about 300,000 feet of lumber per year.
R.G. Hill's saw-mill, located near the head of North branch, is
operated by both steam and water-power, and cuts about 1,500,000 feet of
lumber per annum, dressed and matched ready for market.
The settlement of Elmore was commenced in July, 1790, by Martin
and Jesse Elmore, James and Seth Olmstead, Aaron Keeler and others, mostly
from Sharon and Norwalk, Conn. There being at the taking of the first census,
in 1791, twelve persons in the town. The first town meeting was held July
23, 1792, when Joseph Leach was chosen town clerk and constable Job Gibbs,
Joseph Leach, and James Olmstead, selectmen. Martin Elmore was the first
representative and first justice of the peace. The latter office he held
eighteen consecutive years, and was also town clerk forty-one years, from
1797 to 1838. Jonathan Bridge was a justice twenty-nine years. Henry Olmstead
was the first child born in the town, May 14, 1793. Martin Elmore represented
the town in the legislature for several years at first; Jonathan
Bridge in 1827-28, and in 1836; Abner Doty, in 1829,'30,'32; Martin Elmore
in 1831,'33,'34, and '35; PelegSchofield in 1837; Samuel Bailey, in 1838;
Jesse N. Perley in 1839; George W. Bailey, in 1840 and ’42; Seth
Town, in 1841 and ‘43; Heman H. Elmore, in 1845, and ’46; Joseph C. Bailey,
in 1847 and '48; Crispus Shaw, in 1849 and '50; Hiram P. Doty, in
1851, and of late years by A. M. Kelley, C. S. Parker, A.P. Slayton, H.
D. Cook, and others, the present incumbent being George A. Morse, Martin
Elmore, Jonathan Bridge, Peleg Schofield, and George W. Bailey, were members
of the Constitutional Conventions. Elmore has also furnished several of
the county officers, as follows: George W. Bailey, senator, Jonathan
Bridge and C.S. Parker, assistant judges; George W. Bailey and C.S. Parker,
sheriffs; George W. Bailey, C.S. Parker, A.W. Averill, and Freeman Smith,
Charles S. Parker, born at Barre, Vt., November 2, 1820, moved to
Elmore with his parents when young. He was educated at the common schools
and academies. In early life he followed teaching in winter, working at
farming in the summer. He was married October 17, 1842, to E!iza A.Town,
and had a family of five children, three sons and two daughters. The sons,
Carlos S. and Natt S., are in the mercantile business, in Montgomery, Franklin
county, and C. S. is postmaster. Henry C. graduated at Eastman's commercial
college, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., and is a merchant and postmaster at Enosburgh,
Vt. Of the daughters, Candace A. resides at home, a teacher; Ellen
F. resides in Barre, Vt., the wife of J. H. Batchelder, an extensive dealer
in Barre granite. C. S. Parker has been twice elected sheriff of Lamoille
county, in 1857 and '58, and twice one of the assistant judges of this
county, 1867 and '68; and was elected county commissioner in March, 1867;
has been one of the county bailiffs, also one of the justice of the peace;
was elected town representative in 1863, also in 1864; has held nearly
every town office, and many of them several years in succession; is at
the present writing town grand juror, treasurer, and overseer of the poor.
He resides on road 16, is a farmer, and was for two years president of
the Lamoille county agricultural society. He keeps twenty-five cows, all
Jerseys, and mostly thorough-bred, and is supposed to be the pioneer breeder
of Jersey stock in Lamoille county. For the past eleven years he has shipped
butter every week in the dairy seasons to H.A. Hovey & Co., of Boston,
for which the highest market price has always been received. He has also
been a member of the M. E. church forty-five years, and is the oldest steward;
was one of the building committee and paid liberally for the erection of
the church a few years since at Elmore Pond. Mr. Parker has been
breeding Jersey stock for the past fourteen years, having made his first
purchase, a bull and heifer calf, of the late Charles Kinney, of
Plainfield, Vt. The bull was said by Mr. Kenney, to have been dropped by
a cow owned by the late Hon. Jacob Colamer, of Woodstock, and she was a
present to him from the herd of Judge Smalley, of Burlington, Vt. The heifer
was from a cow owned by Mr. Kinney, for which he paid $200, and she from
imported stock. He paid $75 for the bull, and $50 for the heifer. He afterwards
bought a heifer calf of the estate of, Carlos Pierce, of Stanstead, Canada,
at a cost of $100, from stock imported by him from the Channel Island.
About the same time he purchased a bull of the Alderney Club, of Claremont,
N.H., a registered animal, for $100. Since then he has used one bull from
the herd of Dr. Smith, of Stowe, Vt., and much of the time used sires of
his own raising. He has not been to the trouble to keep his stock registered,
but has taken much pains to produce purity of blood.
Henry C. Parker, born in New Hampshire, Dec. 12, 1796, moved to
Barre, Vt., with his parents, when young, and married Mary Batchelder,
of Plainfield, Vt., Nov. 5, 1819. In 1830, he moved to Elmore, locating
on the farm now occupied by R. G. Hill, on road 23. He had a family of
seven children, four sons and three daughters, that lived to attain a matured
age. The daughters were Sarah F., who died in Barre, Vt., in 1863, the
wife of Samuel Childs; Lucy H., who now resides in Newfield, Me., the wife
of Josiah Durgin; Mary J., now residing in Elmore, the wife of J. T. Hill.
The sons were Charles S.; Judson T., who resides on road 18, has held many
of the town offices, represented the town in 1880, was married to Betsey
Wolcott, March 14, 1866, and has one daughter, Mirtie Belle; Alpheus, residing
on road 18, married Mary J. Wolcott, March 12, 1861, was one of the 3d
Regt., Vt. Vols., serving in Co.E., and received an honorable discharge;
Robert Parker was a volunteer in Co. E., 12th Mass. Regt., and was the
standard bearer of his company, was severely wounded at the battle of Bull
Run, was once taken prisoner, and died in Boston, Mass., July 6, 1864,
at the age of thirty-three years, from wounds received at the battle of
the Wilderness. His body was brought home by his father and deposited in
the old grave-yard where rest the remains of many of the brave boys who
died for their country. Mr. Parker's wife died June 22, 1877, at the age
of eighty-two years. He now lives with his son, Alpheus. He has been a
member of the M.E. church for more than half a century, being now a venerable
man of eighty-six years, the oldest resident of the town.
Samuel Smith, son of Joseph Smith, was a soldier in the war of the
Revolution, and came to Vermont, from New Hampshire, at an early date.
He was born in 1788, married Betsey Rood, of Hartland, Vt., and reared
a family of seven children, five of whom are now living. In 1812, he came
to this town and located upon a farm on Elmore mountain, where he resided
until 1856, then removed to Morrisville to reside with his son-in-law,
G.W. Gates. His death occurred August 30, 1866. His wife died August 13,
Jonathan Bridge was born at Lexington, Mass., May 23, 1787, and
came to this town about 1810, and settled upon the farm now owned by W.W.
Delano, on road 22. He married Hannah Taylor, reared a family of nine children,
and died July 4, 1866.
Seth Olmstead, from Norwalk, Conn., came to Elmore in 1790, and
located upon the farm now owned by his grandson, Samuel N. Olmstead, on
road 25, where he built and kept the first hotel in the town, opening the
same in 1813. Harry, son of Seth, born in this town, died here in 1854,
aged sixty-two years. Samuel N. is the only one of his ten children now
living in the town.
James Maxom, from Connecticut, came to this town about the year
1800, and located upon the farm now owned by Samuel Scott. He died in the
service of his country during the war of 1812, of disease. He married
Sally Woods, they being the first couple married in the town. The only
one of their three children now living in the town being Mrs. Samuel Scott,
who was born on the old farm October 10, 1807.
Peleg Scofield, born July 14, 1779 came to Elmore, from Hartford,
Conn., about the year 1800, and located upon a farm on road 19, now the
property of R. B. Goodell. Here he resided until 1844, when he removed
to Morristown, where he subsequently died. He reared a family of fourteen
children, of whom only one, John G., living on road 18, now resides in
Dow Grant settled in Elmore as early as 1812, locating a little
south of the center of the town, upon the farm now owned by Henry Vizant.
Here he resided until his death, and reared a family of four sons and three
George W. Bailey, from Berlin, Vt., came to this town February 6,
1821, and located upon the farm now occupied by P. C. Darling, on road
4. Here he resided for a few years, then removed to the farm now owned
by his son-in-law, A. M. Kelley; on road 15. Mr. Bailey held most of the
town offices, was a representative two terms, was twice elected to the
State senate, and was sheriff two years. He was married to Rebecca Warren,
December 21, 1820, the union being blessed with a family of ten children,
three of whom are now living, one in this town. His life was brought to
a close August 19, 1868. His widow still survives him, aged eighty years.
David Cook, from Barre,Vt., came to Elmore about the year 1822,
and located on road 12, upon the farm now occupied by Leonard Grimes, where
he cut the first timber on that property. Mr. Cook married Betsey Conant,
reared a family of ten children, served his townsmen in various offices,
and died in 1878. His widow is now a resident of Barre, Vt., aged eighty-one
years. His son, Charles, is the present 1st selectman of the town.
Abel Camp was born in Orange, Vt., April 15, 1801, and came to Elmore
when twenty-one years of age, and located upon the farm he still occupies,
Mr. Camp has held most of the town offices, was a representative in 1858,
‘59, and '60, and at the extra session held in April, 1861; was postmaster
seventeen years, justice of the peace fifteen years, and town clerk twenty-six
years, He has been twice married, his first wife having died July 22, 1854,
leaving eight sons and one daughter. His second wife, Narciss Lovell, yet
cheers his declining years.
Seth Town came to Elmore, from Barre, Vt., in 1823, and located
near road 10, upon the farm now owned by Luther Ward. He resided here until
about 1840, when he removed to the farm owned by C. S. Parker, on road
16. He served his townsmen in several official capacities, and died March
23, 1860. His wife, Susan Sherman, died January 14, 1870. Their only child,
Eliza, is the wife of C.S. Parker.
Samuel Bryant, from Woodstock, Vt., came to this town in 1824, and
settled upon the farm owned by Benjamin Davis, on road 19. Here he resided
for a few years, then removed to Morristown, where he cleared up the farm
now the property of Alfred Dodge. In 1845, he returned to Elmore, remained
here five years; then removed to Franklin county, N. Y., where he died,
in April, 1882, aged about ninety-two years. His wife died five days later,
aged over ninety-three years. Of their family of six children, three are
now living, one, Joseph W., in this town. He was born, March 10, 1816,
married Laura M. C. Camp, daughter of Dr. Joel Camp, and has three children,
two sons and one daughter. Joseph W. has held most of the town offices,
and in connection with his farming enterprises, has practiced law for forty
Dr. Joel G. Camp came to Elmore from Craftsbury, Vt., about the
year 1825. He was a very energetic man, and soon built up a large practice,
which he enjoyed until his death, in 1872. Mr. Camp was the only
settled physician the town ever had, and was nearly eighty-four years of
age when he died. His wife also died in 1872, aged nearly seventy-eight
Edwin Hill from East Montpelier came to this town in 1826, and located
upon the farm now owned by his son, R. G. Hill, on road 3. He resided here
until his death, in 1874. His widow is still living, aged eighty-two years.
Two of their three children are living, R.G. and J.T.
Stephen B. Hatch, from Hartland, Vt., came to Elmore in 1826, and
located in the western part of the town, where he has since resided.
He married Anna Cobb, and has reared a family of thirteen children, six
of whom are living.
Harvey Merritt came to this town from Montpelier about the year
1840, and located upon the farm now owned by his son, Francis L., on road
7. He married Abigail LeBarran, reared three sons and one daughter, three
of whom are now living. His death occurred in June, 1876, aged seventy-four
years. His wife died August 9, 1882.
Benjamin F. Morse was born in Barre, Vt., in 1828, and came to this
town from Plainfield, Vt., in 1852, and located upon the farm he now occupies,
on road 28. His house, erected in 1853, was the second frame house built
in the eastern part of the town. Mr. Morse has been married three times,
and is one of the prominent men of the town.
V. N. Bacon came to this town, from Williamstown, Vt., in 1850,
and located upon "Mt. Lookout farm," on the west side of Elmore pond, in
1850, where he resided until his death, in 1874. His son, Oliver D., now
resides on the farm, where, in 1878, he established Camp Bacon, a resort
for campers and pic-nicers. This is a beautiful location for boating and
fishing, is sup- plied with boats, a camp-house 15x25 feet, and all the
accessories of a resort of this kind, and is well patronized each season.
During the late civil war Elmore furnished sixty-four soldiers,
as follows: Stephen C. Albee, David P. Barnes, Jos. Bashaw, Henry I. Bagley,
John P. Bedell, Wm. Biscomer, May 20, '64, died of wounds; Lewis Belville,
deserted, Jan. 1, '63; Albert J. Biddell, prisoner June 23, '64; Clesson
Cameron, Lyman L. Camp, Charles Carter, deserted Dec. 18, '62; W. B. Chandler,
Rufus H. Clark, Seth L. Clark, Chas. Clement, Chas. S. Cooper, John A.
Camp, Luman M. Davis, May 12, '64, killed, Spottsylvania; James P. Davis,
Solon W. Davis, Learnard W. Davis, Hiram Dwyer, Jan. 17, '64, died; Edwin
R. Dodge, April 16, '62, killed, Lee's Mills, Va.; Jas. Estes, June 29,'62,
killed, Savage Station, Va.; Lewis H. Estes, Jos. Fisher, Sept. 4; '62,
deserted; Samuel B. Fisk, Jos. Gabouree, Justus Gale, Sept. 19, '63, died;
Geo. W. Garner, Oct. 9, '61, died; Russell H. Gay, Luman M. Grout, Maj.
8th Vt. Regt.; Ira F. Grout, John S. Harrington, Andrew J. Hart, Franklin
Hastings, Edward Holden, Leman Holden, Solon W. Hutchins, Feb. 23, '64,
died; Jos. LaFleur, killed, May 5, '64, Wilderness; Melvin A. Leighton,
deserted, Dec. 18, ‘62; John W. Merriam, Sept. 24, '63, died; Curtis B.
Moore, July 9, '62, died; Andrew J. Morse, Benj. F. Morse, Chas. W. Morse,
Aug. 27, '62, died; Luther W. Morse, June 19, '63, died; David R. Muliken,
Charles Noe, Ingalls K. Ober, Franklin A. Olmstead, Horatio N. Olmstead,
Alpheus Parker, Frank A. Russell, June 29, '64, missing in action; Frederick
Schofield, drowned in Mississipi river, June 23, '63; Lorenzo D. Shaw,
John N. Stetson, B. P. Sparrow, June 23, '64, prisoner; Wm. Swift, Geo.
F. Wheat, died March 14, '63; Hiram Wheeler, Feb. 25, '63, died; Anthony
White, Ezra G. Williams, June 23, '64, prisoner; U. A. Woodbury, Capt.,
wounded at Bull Run.
The Elmore Methodist Episcopal Church, located at Elmore village,
was originally built in 1836, and rebuilt in 1874. It is a commodious wood
structure, capable of seating 300 persons, and valued at $5,000. The society
now has sixty members, with Rev. Dyer Willis, pastor.
of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, VT.; 1883-1884, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 83-85)
was provided by Tom Dunn.
–1884 Elmore Business Directory