lies in the central part of the County, in latitude 44º 40', and longitude
4º 19', bounded northeasterly by Belvidere and Eden, southeasterly
by Hyde Park and Morristown, southwesterly by Morristown and Cambridge,
and northwesterly by Waterville and Cambridge, containing an area of little
over 23,040 acres. The tale of its charter breathes somewhat of romance.
As early as 1780, a Mr.Brown, an early settler in Jericho, Vt., secured
a grant of the township. He caused the outlines to be run, and commenced
the allotment in the eastern part of the town, and gave to it the name
of Brownville, or Brownington. In the meantime the northern hive of Indians
residing upon the Canadian frontier, had begun to pour in upon the wilderness
territory of northern Vermont, destroying the property of and carrying
away many of the luckless settlers into wretched captivity. Mr. Brown and
his family were numbered among these unhappy ones. In 1774, he had made
the difficult journey to Jericho, from Massachusetts. Here he and his family,
consisting of a wife, a daughter, and two sons, had made such improvements
on their lands, as to be able to raise most of the necessaries of life,
and were looking forward to days of still greater plenty; but in the autumn
of 1780, the year this town was granted to him, the family was surprised
and made prisoners of by a party of Indians, who, after securing their
prisoners, killed the cattle, sheep and hogs belonging to them, set fire
to their house, and started with them for Montreal. The prisoners suffered
much on their journey, from fatigue and hunger, their principal food being
raw bear's meat. On arriving at St.Johns they were turned over to the British
officers, and their captors received the bounty due them—eighteen dollars,
per head for their prisoners. For three years they were retained as nominal
prisoners, though they were in reality slaves, being obliged to serve their
exacting masters, and receiving in return nothing but insults and the poorest
During the years of Mr. Brown's captivity, the charter fees for
his town grant remained unpaid, and his continued absence led to the belief
that he was dead. So another grant of the territory was made to Samuel
William Johnson and his associates, bearing date February 27, 1782.
Upon the return of Mr. Brown, a dispute arose between him and Mr. Johnson,
relative to the right of the township. This difficulty was, however, compromised,
by a new grant being made to Mr. Brown, of the present town of Brownington,
in Orleans Co. The charter verifying Mr. Johnson's grant, however, was
not obtained until January 2, 1792, issued by the governor, and bearing
the name of the grantee, Johnson. Thus ended this unusual history of a
The surface of Johnson, especially in the western part, is quite
uneven, though in the central and eastern portions there are many acres
of fine, level farming land. The northwestern part of the town extends
up upon a spur of the Green Mountains, while Round mountain lies in the
western part, and Sterling mountain in the southwestern part, making a
continuous chain from north to south. Between Round mountain and Sterling
mountain lies the Lamoille valleys one of the most fertile and beautiful
in the State. The Lamoille river enters the town in the southeastern part,
and, running westerly about two miles, through a rich tract of intervals,
falls over a ledge of rocks, about fifteen feet in height, into a basin
below, making McConnel's Falls, so named in honor of one of the early settlers.
Thence it runs northwesterly over a bed of rocks, about one hundred rods,
narrowing its bounds and increasing its velocity, when it forms a whirlpool
and sinks under a barrier of rocks, which extend across the river.
The arch is of solid rock, about eight feet wide, and at low water is passed
over by footmen with safety. Thus is re-produced in miniature the famous
Natural Bridge of Virginia. The view of the river afforded at this point
is extremely beautiful. For some distance above the river seems preparing
for some unusual occurrence—tiny caps of snow-white foam crest each hurrying
ripple, bits of drift wood and fallen leaves are whirled in circling eddies,
while here and there a projecting rock attempts to impede the current,
only to be angrily covered with a cloud of spray. Finally, the waters,
with a sullen roar, plunge into the maelstrom and disappear. Below the
"bridge," the scene is one of increased grandeur. The waters, with a last,
triumphant struggle, cast off the granite fetters that have for a moment
retarded their resistless course, and rising from a boiling caldron of
fleecy foam, soon flow along again, a quiet, tranquil river, which, about
150 rods below, receives the waters of North Branch, and bending
its course westerly, leaves the township near the southwest corner.
Numerous other streams are found throughout the town, many of which afford
good mill-sites, and unite with other beauties of nature in forming most
attractive scenery. The timber of the township is hemlock, spruce, and
trees of the hard-wood varieties. The soil is a dark or yellow loam, mixed
with a light sand, is easily tilled and very productive. The alluvial flats
along the Lamoille are extensive, but back from the river the lands are,
in some parts, rather stony.
The geological structure of the town is composed principally of
rocks of gneiss and talcose schist formation. The former are found in the
western, the latter in the eastern portions of the township. Small beds
of steatite and saccharoid azoic limestone have also been discovered, and
some beds of clay suitable for the manufacture of brick, etc. Gold is also
said to exist in alluvium in minute quantities. No other minerals of importance
have been discovered.
In 1880, Johnson had a population of 1,495, and in 1882, was
divided into fourteen school districts and contained eleven common schools,
employing five male and twenty-five female teachers, to whom was paid an
aggregate salary of $1,413.13. There were 370 pupils attending common school,
while the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31st,
was $1,606.80, with A. Pierce, superintendent.
The St. Johnsbury & Lake Champlain railroad crosses the southern
part of the town, with a station at Johnson.
Johnson, a post village and station on the St. Johnsbury & Lake
Champlain railroad, is beautifully located a little south of the central
part of the town, at the intersection of the Gihon with the Lamoille river.
Among its several manufactories are saw-mills, woolen-mill, butter-tub
and starch factory. It also contains three churches, (Congregational, Methodist
Episcopal, and Baptist,) State normal school, four stores, one hotel, two
harness shops, and about ninety dwellings.
The State Normal School.—As early as 1836, the legislature incorporated
the Lamoille County Grammar School, though the school had been established
about six years previous, under Dr. Carpenter. During the years that followed,
the school experienced the usual changes of government, and struggled through
the varying fortunes common to institutions of the kind, until February,
1867, when it was changed to the State Normal School, with Rev.H.D.Hodge,
president; Samuel Belding, vice-president; S.S. Pike, treasurer; Dea. H.W.
Robinson, secretary; and twenty trustees. While under the control of L.O.Stevens
the building was repaired, and, in 1866, was thoroughly rebuilt, so that
it is now more than double its original size. The normal school began its
career with about fifty students, under the principalship of S.H.Pearl,
who continued in that capacity until 1871. He was succeeded by C.D.Mead
who remained only a little over a year. From that time, 1872, until 1875,
S.H.Perrigo filled the position, and was succeeded by William C. Crippen,
who had charge of the school until 1881, when the services of Edward Conant,
then principal of the normal school at Randolph. and who was also
State superintendent of schools from 1874 until 1880, were secured. Mr.
Conant's long experience in school work enabled him to at once put the
school on a firm footing. He has thus far met with good success, and all
indications point to still greater success in the future. Twenty-eight
pupils were graduated during the year, ending in January, 1882.
Barnum L. Austin's cabinet shop, located at the village, was built
for the purpose for which it is now used, previous to the year 1850.
In 1870, it was taken by Mr. Austin, who has continued business there since.
O. & A.H.Buck have control of 2,000 acres of wood land, which
they are rapidly clearing and converting the timber into lumber. They own
a steam mill that has the capacity for cutting 2,000,000 feet of lumber
annually, and a mill operated by water-power that will cut the same amount
of lumber, and 500,000 feet of clapboards and 500,000 shingles, and they
also lease a mill in Granby, Essex county, having the capacity for cutting
3,000,000 feet of lumber per annum.
O.W. Stearns & Son's butter-tub and water-tubing factory, located
on the Gihon river, was built by the present proprietors, in 1874, who
commenced business in a small way, employing only six workmen. In 1880,
they instituted extensive repairs, and placed in operation considerable
new machinery, increasing their facilities so that they now employ eighteen
men. In 1881 they manufactured 90,000 spruce butter-tubs and sap-buckets,
and about 4,000 rods of spruce and pine water-tubing.
William MeLenathan's grist and carding-mill was built about 1842,
by Nathaniel Stearns, for a rake factory and grist-mill, and came into
the present proprietor's hands in 1867. Mr. McLenathan has made extensive
repairs and now does a large business.
L.H. Parkhurst's saw-mill, located on road 7, was built in 1877.
Mr. Parkhurst employs six men and manufactures 500,000 feet of lumber and
180,000 feet of clapboards per year.
I.L. Pearl's woolen-mill, located on the Gihon river, was established
about 1845, by Andrew and Stephen Dow, who continued in business until
1855, when Daniel M. Dow purchased Andrew's interest, continuing the business
under the firm name of S.& D.M. Dow for about two years, or until the
death of Daniel. In 1857, the present proprietor, Isaac L. Pearl,
purchased a share of the property, continuing the business as Dow &
Pearl until 1865. Mr.Dow then sold his interest to Orange Buck, who remained
in the firm until 1870, when Mr. Pearl assumed entire control of the concern.
On April 11, 1871, the entire mills were destroyed by fire, nothing being
saved. Mr.Pearl immediately began to rebuild, and soon had the present
factory erected. Mr.Pearl now employs twelve workmen, and consumes about
40,000 pounds of wool per year, in the manufacture of heavy goods and yarns.
Horace H. Partlow's carriage and gun shop, located at the village,
was established in 1866. The building is one of the oldest in the town.
R.B. Bradley's carriage anal machine shop, located on Pearl street,
was established in 1880, where Mr. Bradley does a profitable business.
The first settlement in Johnson was commenced in 1784, by Samuel
Eaton, from New Hampshire. During the French war, before the reduction
of Canada by the British, Mr. Eaton passed through this part of the country
and down the river Lamoille to Lake Champlain, on a scouting expedition.
At the commencement of the revolution he enlisted in the American army
under Col. Beedle, and frequently passed through this township, while scouting
between the Connecticut river and Lake Champlain, and several times encamped
on the same plot which he afterwards occupied as a farm—a beautiful bow
of alluvial flats on the right bank of the Lamoille, in the western part
of the town. Like many other settlers he had many difficulties to encounter.
In indigent circumstances and with a numerous family, he loaded his little
all upon an old horse, and set out in search of that favorite spot which
he had selected in his more youthful days. To accomplish this he had to
travel nearly seventy miles through the wilderness, guided only by the
trees which had been marked by the scouts, and opening a path as he passed
along. For some time after he arrived here, Mr. Eaton depended entirely
upon hunting and fishing for the support of himself and a large family.
Better days soon smiled upon him, however, and he lived to a good old age,
much respected, and in his latter years received a pension from the government
for Revolutionary services.
The year following Mr. Eaton's settlement, a number from the same
vicinity in New Hampshire made beginnings in the town, two by the name
of McConnell, one of whom, Jonathan, located near the confluence of the
North Branch with the Lamoille. He soon after erected a saw and grist-mill,
about which has subsequently grown the present village. Among these early
settlers were the Millers, Rogers, Mills, Simons, Smiths, Greggs, etc.
From 1790, to 1800, a second class of settlers arrived, mostly from New
Hampshire and Massachusetts. From New Boston and Amherst, N.H., there were
families of Dodges, Balches, Wilsons, Ellingwoods, Peddingtons, Primes,
and others. From Belchertown and other places of Massachusetts came the
Ferrys, Clarks, Wheelers, Atwells, and Johnny Wier.The latter, from
Boston, was a sea-faring man, and developed into quite a character. He
possessed no education and no money; but by close economy he paid for his
farm, and subsequently engaged in mercantile pursuits, amassing quite a
snug property. Between 1801, and 1805, another class of settlers arrived,
from New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and other towns in Vermont,
among whom were the Griswolds, Burnhams, Morgans, Ogers, Perkins, Patchs,
Waterses, Nicholses, and Watermans.
The allotment of the town was made in 1788 or ‘89. The lots were
designed to contain 300 acres to each proprietor, besides an allowance
of five percent for roads. The survey, however, was very incorrect, some
lots containing a much larger number of acres than others adjoining them,
and zigzag lines were found to run from corner to corner of lots, enlarging
one by diminishing another, which caused much litigation among the early
settlers, but in all cases the courts established the lines and corners
where they could be proven to have been run and marked.
The town was organized, and the first town meeting held March 4,
1789, when Jonathan McConnell, was elected town clerk; Jonathan McConnell,
Ensign Samuel Eaton, and Jeremiah McDaniel, selectmen; Nehemiah Barrett,
constable; George Gregg, Samuel Miller, and Thomas McConnell, assessors;
Jonathan McConnell, treasurer; and Ensign Jeremiah McDaniel, collector.
The first justice of the peace was Jonathan McConnell, in 1790. The first
representative was Noah Smith, in 1789. The first deeds but on file, though
not recorded, were in June, 1790. The first deed recorded, was one from
Thomas McConnell to John Sanders, October 15, 1790. The first record of
votes cast for governor was in 1807, the whole number then being thirty-nine.
The first child born in the town was a son of Aaron Smith, who was named
Johnson Smith, in reference to his being the first birth in the township.
The mother, Mrs. Smith, when her child was but two or three months old,
in view of the approaching winter and the scarcity of provisions, started
with her child, accompanied by her husband to Onion river, and thence,
on foot and alone, traveled to Bennington to spend the winter with her
friends. The first death was that of a Mr.Fullington, who was on his way
from New Hampshire to Fairfax; and while passing the Lamoille, in what
is now Morristown, at an old hunters' or Indians' camping place, he discovered
some English turnips well grown and very inviting, of which he partook
freely upon an empty stomach, which produced a violent attack of bilious
colic, of which he died the night following, at the dwelling of Thomas
McConnell, and was buried in a trough dug from a bass-wood log, upon the
farm now owned by Merritt C. Foot. The next death was that of a young man
by the name of Smith, who had but a short time previous accompanied his
brother and family into town, and was at work, or from some cause, at the
mills which McConnell was building, and accidently went over the dam or
falls and was drowned. The first mail was carried through the town in 1802-1803,
by John Skeeles, of Peacham, on horseback, to St. Albans and back once
a week, and Arunah Waterman,Jr., was the first postmaster. The first settled
minister was Elder Joel P. Hayford, a young man, who very generously surrendered
his claim to the right of land granted to the first settled minister, to
the selectmen of the town, to be leased by them in perpetuity, the avails
of which to be applied to the support of the gospel for all coming time.
Samuel Miller, one of the early settlers, came from New Hampshire
and settled upon the farm now owned by his grandson, Herman B. Miller,
on road 37. Mr. Miller served in the revolutionary army. On one expedition
against the Indians of Genesee county, N. Y., he nearly perished from hunger.
He possessed a strong, rugged constitution, a true, upright character,
and during his long life here he gained the respect of all with whom he
was brought in contact. He reared a family of eleven children, and died
in 1837, aged seventy-five years. Samuel R., the second son of Samuel,
was born in 1774, and for many years was a resident of the town. He died
in 1853. His family consisted of five children, only one of whom, Herman
B., who now occupies the old homestead, settled in the town. Herman B.
has six children, three of whom reside in the town.
Daniel Mills, one of the early settlers, came from New Hampshire
and settled in the western part of the town. Here he resided several years,
then moved further down the river, where he resided until his death, aged
eighty-one years. Of his family of seven children, five settled in the
town. Daniel, his third son, born in 1779, came here with him, and died
in 1855, leaving a family of six children, three of whom settled here.
Daniel's second son, John C., born in 1818, has always resided in the town,
with the exception of two years spent in the late war. He has four children.
Solomon Balch, from New Boston, N.H., emigrated to this town among
the early settlers, and located on road 18, upon the farm now occupied
by Mrs. J. A. Balch. Mr. Balch held a prominent position among his towns-men,
whom he served in many official positions, among which that of justice
of the peace, which office he held for a period of over thirty years. Enos
C., grandson of Solomon, and only son of Solomon, Jr., now resides on Railroad
street. Robert, the oldest son of Solomon, born in 1804, held many of the
town offices, and died in 1874.
Zachariah Whiting, from Francestown, N.H., came to the town at an
early date, and located on road 12, where his son, Almon, is now living.
He had a family of eight children. Zachariah, Jr., born in 1827, still
resides in the town, on road 19.
Nathan Atwell, from Hollis, N.H., came into Johnson among the earliest
settlers, and located on road 11, upon the farm now owned by his son, James.
He resided here until his death, at the age of eighty-four years. Six of
his family of thirteen children are now living. James, the twelfth child,
born in 1814, resides on the old homestead. Benjamin and Asher E. are aged
respectively seventy-eight and sixty-five years.
David Foster came here from New Hampshire in 1790, and settled in
the southeastern part of the town, where he resided until his death, at
an advanced age, having reared a family of six children. Obadiah, his second
son, born in 1771, resided in the town until his death, in 1850. Seven
of his eight children became residents of the town. Obadiah, Jr., was born
in 1811, and died here in 1870. One of his two sons, Roswell, born in 1831,
now resides here, on Railroad street.
Ralph Ellenwood, a native of Amherst, N.H., and a veteran of the
revolutionary war, came to Johnson in 1792, and located upon a tract of
land about a mile and a half west of the present village. At the time he
came here he had a family of five children, which was subsequently increased
to ten. James, the second child, born at Amherst in 1786, was a resident
of the town until about ten years previous to his death, when he removed
to New York. Of his family of eight children, the only one living is Maria
E., a resident of this town.
Levi Clark, from Massachusetts, came to this town about 1797, and
located in the eastern part, where he resided until his death, in 1852,
aged eighty-one years. Two of his eight children settled in the town. Darius
G., his fifth son, born in 1811, has always resided here. He has held many
of the town trusts.
Elisha Dodge, from New Boston, N.H., immigrated to Johnson in 1799,
and located on road 11, where he resided a number of years. He reared a
family of eleven children, six of whom are now living, three in this town.
Perly Clark, from Connecticut, came to Johnson previous to 1800,
and located near Perkinsville, where he resided about thirty years, then
went to Brookfield, Mass., remained eighteen years, then returned to Johnson
and remained until four years previous to his death, which occurred at
Brookfield, at the age of ninety-seven years. James D., grandson of Perly
and son Horace I., now resides in Eden, on road 3.
Arunah Waterman, from Norwich, Conn., was one of the original proprietors
of Hyde Park. He left Norwich in February, with an ox and horse team, and
was seventeen days on the road, arriving in Hyde Park on the fourth of
March, 1801, the day that Thomas Jefferson was inaugurated president of
the United States, and designed to settle on his own lands; but shortly
after his arrival he purchased the farm in Johnson upon which Jonathan
McConnell located, and built mills where the village has since grown up.
He took possession on the first day of April, 1801, where he continued
to live until his death, August 17, 1838, in the ninetieth year of his
age, having previously served as justice of the peace and member of the
legislature for a number of years. Asa, the eldest child of Arunah, located
on road 44, where he resided until 1852, when, at the age of eighty years,
he removed to road 46, where he resided with his son, David Sanford Waterman,
until his death in 1860. He had a family of ten children, only one of whom,
D. Sanford, now resides in the town.
Sewell Newton, from Weathersfield, Vt., came to Johnson in 1800,
and resided here until his death. Luther D., his only son, born in 1808,
resided here until his death, in 1862, having reared a family of six children,
only one of whom, Sewell, settled in this town.
William Heath, from Lancaster, N.H., located upon the farm now owned
by his great-grandson, Madison 0. Heath, about 1800. Madison located there
in 1865, not knowing at that time that it was the spot where his ancestors
had built their cabin so many years ago. James M., son of Lufkin Heath,
and grandson of William, was born in Johnson in 1810, but spent most of
his life in Cambridge. Madison O. and Marian L. were his only children,
the latter being the wife of William H. Griswold, of Cambridge. Madison
married Amanda M. Mott, in 1856, and has three children living, Franklin
S., Wilmer H., and Mary, wife of Charles H. Loomis. Mr. Heath, an attorney-at-law
by profession, was postmaster in Cambridge in 1873-'74, and has been judge
of probate for Lamoille district, and register of probate in 1878. He has
also served as a representative of the Methodist church on several occasions.
Ebenezer Dike emigrated to Morristown from Woodstock, Vt., in 1800,
where he commenced a settlement near the center of the town. Linus, his
second son, born in Woodstock, reared a family of eight children, five
of whom are living. Wilson, the fourth child, resides in this town, on
Benjamin Ober came here from New Boston, N.H., in 1801, and cleared
for himself a farm a little north of the center of the town, where he resided
until his death, in 1861, aged eighty-three years. He had three children,
all of whom settled in this town. Norman, his second son, born in 1815,
now owns the old homestead, on road 10.
Joseph Andrews, Jr., born in Essex, Mass., in 1792, came here with
his parents in 1807, and continued his residence here until his death,
in 1862. He had a family of seven children, five of whom are living. Joseph,
the sixth child, born in 1823, occupies the old homestead, on road 11.
Isaac, the second child, born in 1809, has never been absent from the old
farm for a period exceeding two months in his life. Edward P., the only
living child of Isaac, born in 1839, also resides on the old place.
Amasa Winslow came from Massachusetts about 1804, and settled in
Westfield, Orleans county, where he died, in 1821. Don A., his oldest son,
born in 1824, now resides in this town, on road 47.
Josiah Morgan, from New Hampshire, came into Johnson about 1810,
and located on road 19, where he remained a few years, then removed to
Canada, where he died, leaving a family of five sons. In 1832, Benjamin
O., the third child, came back to Johnson, and, in 1848, located upon the
place he now occupies, on road 19.
Josiah Jones immigrated to Johnson from Massachusetts, about 1800,
and located in the eastern part of the town, where he died, in 1844, aged
sixty- six years. Five of his thirteen children settled in the town.
John Griswold, from Weathersfield, Vt., settled in the northern
part of this town, in 1812, where he resided until 1839, then removed to
Eden, where he died, in 1852, aged eighty-five years. John, the youngest
of eleven children, born in 1823, now owns a portion of the old farm, on
Samuel B. Waters came to this town in 1814, bought a farm, and resided
here all his life. Of his family of five children all but one are living.
Mr. Waters held many of the town offices, and also took an active interest
in religious affairs, having acted as deacon of the Congregational church
many years. Samuel G., his eldest son, born in 1816, now occupies the old
homestead, on road 20.
Thomas Farnham, from New Boston, N.H., came here in 1816, and located
on road 15, upon the farm now owned by his son William. He was a tailor
by trade, and died in 1869, aged ninety-four years. Joseph, his fourth
child, resided near William.
Joseph Manning, from Marblehead, Mass., came to Johnson in 1824,
and located upon the farm now owned by Isaac A., his only son. Mr. Manning
was a sailor in early life, but learned the carpenter and joiner trade
later, and erected many of the old houses now found in the town.
John Cristy, from New Hampshire, came here in 1825, and located
in the northern part of the town, where he resided until his death, in
1868, aged seventy-eight years. Robert C., the second of his six children,
born in 1827, now resides here. He has held most of the town trusts.
William McLenathan came to Johnson from New Hampshire about 1827
and settled in the eastern part of the town, where he died in 1877, aged
seventy years. His eldest son, William, now resides here.
Asa Andrews, from New Boston, N.H., came to Johnson in 1828, and
settled upon a farm near the central part of the town, where he died, in
1871, aged seventy-four years.
Charles Leland, from Baltimore, Vt., located in Lowell, Orleans
county, in 1829, where he resided until 1855, when he removed to Johnson,
and has since been engaged in the manufacture of starch.
Reuben Whitcomb, from Orange county, came to Johnson in 1829, and
located in the eastern part of the town, where his grandsons, C. R. and
Frank Whitcomb, now reside. He married Mary French and reared a family
of five children, Eliza M., Raymond, Reuben, Frederick, and Louis J. George
W. Hill, of this town, commenced his business life as an apprentice in
the office of the New Hampshire Patriot, at Concord, in 1816, remaining
there until he became of age. He then went to Montpelier, and, in 1826,
started The Patriot and State Gazette. He continued in the management of
the concern until the anti-masonic days of 1836-'38, when the paper came
under the control of Clark & Marston, and he removed to Lowell, Orleans
county, where he entered the custom house, remaining two years, then came
to this town, where he has since resided.
During the late war Johnson furnished 140 enlisted men, twenty-seven
of whom were killed in action or died of wounds received or diseases contracted
while in the service. Bounties were voted by the town as follows: September
6, 1862, "to pay nine men $50.00 each." The men were raised, paid, and
sent to the war. December 19, 1863, " to pay $300.00 each to ten men."
They also were hired, paid, and sent. September 19, 1864, "to pay the heirs
of George E. Whitfield $50.00, and pay E. D. Carter $50.00;" which was
accordingly done. January 19, 1865, "voted to raise a tax of 100 cents
on the dollar of the grand list, to defray the expense of raising men for
the war;" and "voted to leave the raising of men to fill our quota to the
selectmen to manage at their discretion." Nothing was done under this latter
vote, as the war closed soon after.
The Baptist church, located at Johnson village, was organized Nov.
7, 1808, with fourteen members, Rev. David Boynton being the first pastor.
The first church building was erected in 1832, and gave place to the present
structure in 1855. The society is in a prosperous condition, with Rev.
J. A. Pierce, pastor.
The Congregational church of Johnson, located at Johnson village,
was organized September 20, 1817, by Isaac Smith, Joseph Dodge, Samuel
Waters, Sarah Dodge, Mary Farnham, Sally Stickney, and Mary Waters. Rev.
John Scott was the first pastor. The first church building was erected
in 1832, and was replaced by the present wood structure in 1851. This building
cost $3,000.00, will seat 280 persons, and is now valued, including grounds
and parsonage, at $5,500.00. The society has 100 members, is free from
debt, and supports a good Sabbath school, with Rev. Azro A. Smith, pastor.
The Methodist Episcopal church, located at Johnson village, has
eighty-three members, with Rev John S. Tupper, pastor. The church building
will seat 250 persons and is valued at $2,500.00.
necessaries, Perly Clark,
of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, VT.; 1883-1884, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 104-109)
was provided by Tom Dunn.
–1884 Johnson Business Directory