an irregularly outlined town in the central part of the county lies in
latitude 44º 32', and longitude 4º 20', bounded northeasterly
by Hyde Park, southeasterly by Elmore, southwesterly by Stowe, and northwesterly
by Johnson and Cambridge. It was granted November 6, 1780,
and chartered to Moses Morse and sixty-four associates, August 24, 1781,
containing 23,040 acres, until November 14,1855, when a portion of Sterling
was annexed to its territory. Sterling was a township chartered February
25, 1782, and settlement commenced therein in 1792. The people, however,
soon grew tired of a separate organization. The first division of the township
was made October 30, 1828, when, by an act of the legislature, two miles
from the western part of the township were set to Cambridge. This was a
mountainous part of the town, and included Smuggler's Notch.
November 14, 1855, the remainder of the town was divided between and annexed
to Johnson, Morristown and Stowe. When the town voted to divide and annex
to other towns, the vote stood forty for and ten against, so the town surrendered
its organization, and all its records were left in the Morristown archives.
In surface Morristown is moderately uneven, except in the western
part, the portion annexed from Sterling, where it is quite uneven. The
soil is of good quality and easily cultivated, rendering the town, in point
of agricultural products, second to none in the county. The timber is principally
maple, beech, birch, hemlock, etc. The territory is well watered by numerous
streams, the principal water-course being the Lamoille river. It enters
the town near the eastern corner, passing by Morrisville and Cady's Falls,
and after running four miles in the northeastern past of the town, again
returns into Hyde Park. Along this river are some excellent tracts of intervals.
Several good mill-sites are found throughout the town. In the southeastern
part of the town are two ponds, Mott’s and Joe's. The latter is a pretty
little sheet of water, and rendered of considerable importance, in an historical
point of view, from the fact that upon its shores once dwelt the old Indian,
Joe, after whom the pond was named. A few words in reference to the old
Redman, “the last of Coossucks," may prove of interest.
“Captain Joe was born," says Thompson's Gazetteer,
in Nova Scotia, but upon the overthrow of the eastern Indians, he, while
quite young, went to St. Francis. His wife was called Molly. Joe was mild
and inoffensive in his disposition, and used to boast that he had never
pointed a gun at a man. He had a strong antipathy to the English, who had
killed his friends in Nova Scotia, and during the Revolution was a warm
friend to the American cause. He and Molly once visited and shook
hands with Gen. Washington, at his headquarters on the Hudson river, and
ate at the General’s table after the officers had dined. After the war,
such was his dislike to the king of England, he would never enter his domains,
though strongly urged by the Indians to return to St. Francis. Having followed
a moose two days, on one occasion, and finding at length that it had crossed
the line into Canada, he stopped short and said, 'Good bye, Mr. Moose,'
and relinquished the pursuit. He spent his time principally
in hunting through all the northwestern parts of the State, and many anecdotes
are related respecting his encounters with the wild beasts of the forest.
Joe survived Molly many years. When he became old and unable to support
himself, the legislature of Vermont granted him an annual pension of seventy
dollars. He died at Newbury, February 19, 1819, aged about eighty
years. His gun was found loaded, and was discharged over his grave.”
The geological structure of the town consists of an immense bed
of schist, cut, in the eastern part, by a long, narrow bed of clay slate.
These formations, however, are modified by the several rocks that usually
enter into this strata.
In 1880, Morristown bad a population of 2,099, and in 1882 was divided
into fourteen school districts and contained fourteen common schools, employing
one male and thirty-six female teachers, to whom was paid an aggregate
salary of $3,477.68. There were 559 pupils attending common school, while
the entire cost of the schools for the year, ending October 31st, was $4,052.22,
With I.N.LeBaron, superintendent.
Morrisville, a post village located in the northern part of the
town on the Lamoille river, and also a station on the St.J.& L.C. R.R.,
which crosses the northern part of the township, is one of the most thriving
little villages in the State. The country surrounding the village abounds
in exquisite scenery, rendering drives and strolls, in any direction that
fancy may direct, most delightful. A few rods west of the village the picturesque
Lamoille trembles on the brink of a precipice twenty feet deep and thirty
broad, then dashes itself over, in a beautiful sheet of water, to the channel
below. This channel the early settlers denominated the "pulpit," from the
resemblance of a rock at the north end of the chasm. The foundations of
this rock, however, the action of the waters gradually weakened, until
finally, a few years since, it tottered and fell, so the resemblance is
not as apparent as it once was. On the west side of the chasm the rocks
rise perpendicularly to the height of thirty feet, and the beholder, while
standing on the edge of this precipice, sees the whole body of the river
plunged down at his feet into this boiling caldron, from which it escapes
through a channel at the south end, and immediately spreading itself out,
encircles numerous islands, whose high, jagged points are covered with
a thick growth of cedar and fir, and altogether presents a scene of grandeur
and beauty seldom surpassed. The rocks at the foot of the falls present
many curious specimens of the wonder-working power of water, there being
large pot-holes worn in the solid rock, some of which are nearly eight
feet deep and four feet in diameter. These falls not only form a sublime
picture of nature, but they afford one of the best mill powers in the State.
This natural facility long since was utilized, and the hum of machinery
in several busy manufactories of various kinds is constantly heard. The
first mill in the town was built here in 1798, by Capt. John Safford, who
came here from Windsor, Mass. He also built the first frame house.
In 1812, he built the first gristmill. The post office was established
here April 1, 1834, with Levi B. Vilas, postmaster. The village now has,
aside from its manufacturing interests, four churches, (Methodist, Congregational,
Universalist and Christian,) an academy and graded school, two hotels,
twelve or fifteen stores of various kinds, and a thrifty population of
about one thousand.
Cady's Falls, a handsome little post village lying about two miles
northwest of Morrisville, on the Lamoille river, is a station on the St.
& L.C. R.R. It contains one church (Union), a grist, saw, and
planing-mill, blacksmith shop, and about a dozen dwellings. The first gristmill
erected here was in 1831, by Cady & Atkins. The church was erected
in 1865-‘66, at a cost of about $2,000.00. The building has not been used
for church purposes during the past year, and is now owned by N.Town and
Morristown Four Corners (Morristown p. o.) is a hamlet located a
little north of the central part of the town, containing a church (Baptist),
and ten or twelve dwellings.
The People's Academy, was incorporated in 1847. The land upon which
the building is located was donated the previous year by Jedediah Safford,
and willing citizens soon contributed money and labor for the erection
of the original building, which cost about $l,000.00. School was
first opened September 1, 1847, with O.C. Pitkin, A. B., now of Syracuse,
N. Y., as principal, and Miss Julia Bliss and Miss Elizabeth Pitkin, assistants.
Mr. Pitkin remained in charge only about two years, since which time there
have been many changes. The school was established under most favorable
circumstances, there being pupils in attendance from several counties and
from Canada during the first term. In 1866, the common school was graded,
and the school building moved to the south of the academy. The school was
systematically graded, the higher department being called the People's
Academy and Morrisville Graded School, and the lower grades the Primary
Department. In 1874, the old academy building was sold and
removed, and the present handsome and substantial building erected upon
the site, at a cost of about $10,000.00, school in the meantime being held
in the town-hall. The academy now has a good library, an extensive philosophical
apparatus, together with all the appurtenances of a first-class educational
institution, under the charge of H. S. Wilson, A. B., principal.
J. Safford & Son's saw, and grist-mill, located at Morrisville,
was built in 1866. The grist-mill has four runs of stones, and has been
operated by the present firm since 1853. In connection with the grist-mill
they have machinery for sawing chair stock. They employ eight men, and
during the year 1881, dressed 1,000,000 feet of lumber.
E.E. Foster’s granite and marble works, located at Morrisville,
were established in 1870. Mr. Foster employs eight men, and manufactures
all kinds of work.
W.S. Cheney's starch factory, located at Morrisville, was built
by T.C. Ryder, in 1872. The factory is a large building, 40x60 feet, and
four stories in height. Mr. Cheney uses from 10,000 to 15,000 bushels of
potatoes per year, and manufactures about seventy-five tons of starch.
The Morrisville foundry was built by E.B.Merriam, in 1872. Mr. H.R.
Morgan, the present proprietor, came into possession of the property in
1874. He employs four men in the manufacture of stoves and general job
George H. Elmore's carriage shop located at Morrisville, was built
by the present proprietor in 1876. Mr.Elmore employs six men in the manufacture
of all kinds of wagons, carriages, and sleighs.
E.B. Reed’s planing-mill and job shop, located at Cady'sFalls, came
into the hands of the present proprietor in 1867. The building was originally
used as a woolen-mill.
Cady's Falls grist, saw, and carding-mill is owned and operated
by N.L. Manning. The grist-mill operates three runs of stones, and the
saw-mill as the capacity for sawing 100,000 feet of lumber per annum. The
mill has also a tannery connected, and machinery for manufacturing chair
William A. Thayer's butter-tub manufactory, located on road 44,
was established by Mr.Thayer, in 1864.
W.W. Peck's steam saw-mill, located in the western part of the town,
on road 46, was built in 1881, and commenced running January 9, 1882. Mr.
Peck manufactures about 1,500,000 feet of lumber per year.
J.A. Ferguson's saw-mill, located on road 40, came into the possession
of the present owner, in 1881. The mill is operated by water-power, furnished
with a circular saw, and has the capacity for cutting 1,000 feet of lumber
James J. Billings's clapboard-mill, located in the southwestern
part of the town, on road 72, was originally used as a saw-mill, from which
it was remodeled to suit the purposes for which it is now used.
Josiah Trow's granite manufactory, located at Morrisville, was established
by the present proprietor in 1878. He manufactures all kinds of granite
and marble work.
H.C. Boardman's saw-mill, located on road 36½, was built
by Mr.Boardman in 1870. The mill is supplied with shingle, planing, and
matching machinery, and has, the capacity for cutting 1,000 feet of lumber
C.F. Whitney’s saw-mill, located on road 36½, has the capacity
for cutting 1,000 feet of lumber per hour and has a chair stock and cider-mill
The LamolleValley pulp-mill, located at Morrisville, was established
in 1881. The firm employs eight men, and manufactures five tons of pulp
Clark and Daniel's butter-tub factory, located at Morrisville, employs
ten hands and has the capacity for manufacturing 300 butter-tubs per day.
Settlement was commenced in Morristown during the spring of 1790
by Jacob Walker, who came from Bennington, accompanied by his brother,
who shortly after returned. Mr.Walker remained here during the summer,
making his home at the house of John McDaniel, in Hyde Park, to which place
he returned on Saturday night, going out again on Monday, with provisions
sufficient to last him through the week. In this way he labored through
the summer, and in the fall he returned to Bennington. In the spring of
1791, Mr. Walker brought his family here, and continued through the summer,
and in the fall again returned to Bennington. In the spring of 1792, Mr.
Walker and his family came to the town, accompanied by Mr. Olds and his
family. They built a camp, in which Mr. Walker and wife, Mr. Olds and wife,
and two hired men, lived two months, during which time Gov. Butler, of
Waterbury, paid them a visit. At the end of two months a house had been
erected, into which they all moved. In the fall, Mr. Walker removed to
Fairfax, leavng Mr. Olds and family here alone. Mrs. Olds was the first
woman who wintered in the town. Their nearest neighbors, on the south,
were at Waterbury, fourteen miles distant, and no road. The nearest mill
was at Cambridge, twenty miles distant. Settlers soon began to come in,
however, so that the census reports for 1800, show the town to have had
a population of 144.
The town was organized in 1796, with Comfort Olds, town clerk. As
the records are missing it is impossible to state who constituted the remaining
list. As near as can be ascertained, however, the first selectmen were
Cornfort Olds, Nathaniel Goodale, and Crispus Shaw. John Shaw was probably
the first constable. The first justice was Micajah Dunham, in 1796. Elisha
Boardman was the first representative, in 1804.
The meeting of the proprietors of Morristown was called at Pownal,
May 19, 1784, when Nathaniel Morse served as moderator, and Joseph Hinsdale,
clerk. At this meeting it was voted to lay out the first division, January
17, 1787, 105 acres to each proprietor's right. Joseph Hinsdale, of Bennington,
was elected surveyor of the first and second divisions. The second division
was made in 1787, and the third in 1794, the latter being made by Micajah
Dunham, of Morristown. The first road was laid out June 11, 1800. The first
transfer of proprietor's rights was that of two shares, for the consideration
of £36, by Daniel Kinne, of Partridgeville, Mass., to Ezekiel Williams,
of Weathersfield, Conn., April 1, 1781. The first frame buildings in the
town were erected by Capt. John Safford and his son, Jedediah, in 1798.
They consisted of a dwelling and corn barn; The latter is still in a good
state of preservation, and is used as a horse barn by Dexter Place. The
first funeral was held in this building, that of Mrs. Daniel Fletcher,
a daughter of Capt. Safford. The first school was kept by Martha Brigham,
afterwards the wife of Nathan Gates,Jr., in a barn owned by Judge Samuel
Cook. The first physician to locate here was Ralph Tinker, about 1802.
The first settled minister was Rev.Daniel Rockwell, a Congregationalist.
The first church building was a two-story brick structure, 40x60 feet,
erected in 1824, by the Congregationalist and Calvinist Baptist, by whom
it was used for many years. The first birth in the town was September 14,
1792, a daughter of Jacob Walker, named Lemira. The first death was that
of Lydia Fletcher, wife of Daniel Fletcher, and daughter of John Safford,
July 10, 1799, aged thirty-one years.
Orias Boardman, father of the four sons, Elisha, Orias, William,
and Alfred, died in Connecticut, in 1780, having previously bought a right
of land in this town of one of the original proprietors, intending to make
a settlement with his family. Orias, the second son, at the age of nineteen
years, arrived in town in 1793, and worked during the summer for Aaron
Hunt, one of the first settlers. Orias and William arrived by way of Lake
Champlain and Cambridge, with an ox team, in March, 1794, and commenced
a settlement on the farm upon which they lived during the remainder of
their lives, and upon which Almond Boardman now resides. In the spring
of 1795, their mother, together with the eldest son, Elisha, and the youngest
son, Alfred, arrived, and lived in the town the remainder of their lives.
Mrs.Lydia Boardman, the mother, died April 7, 1823, in the seventy-fifth
year of her age, having for a long period been a worthy member of the Congregational
church. Her sons were all noted for honesty in their business transactions
with their fellow-men. Elisha was the first representative of the town,
being a member of the legislature in 1804, '05, '06, '07, and '08. He was
also the first militia captain, and was an able justice of the peace for
many years. He died February 6, 1826, aged fifty-three years. Orias died
September 10, 1843, in the sixty-ninth year of his age. William died March
18, 1851, aged seventy-five years. Alfred died February 8, 1830, aged forty-eight
years. Almond, who now occupies the old homestead, was born May 16, 1807,
married Jemima Goodsell, and has had a family of five children, two of
whom, are now living, Cornelia and Ellen. The former is the wife of Judge
Small, of Hyde Park, and the latter is the wife of A.L. Noyes, cashier
of the Lamoille County Bank. Almond has held many positions of trust, among
which that of representative two terms.
James Matthews, one of the earliest settlers, located on road 18,
upon the farm now owned by A. C. Hill. He married Clarissa Ketchum, and
reared a family of eleven children, eight of whom are now living. He died
March 6, 1868, aged seventy-five years. His son, Leonard, who has carried
the mail between Morrisville and the Four Corners since 1875, was born
here in 1826.
Cyrus Clark, another of the early settlers, located upon a farm
in the western part of the town, where he resided the remainder of his
life. He had a family of five children, one of whom, Roswell, married Patty
Parker, and died in 1877. Three of Roswell's children are now living; Sophia
E., wife of Norman Camp, of Elmore; Caroline, wife of C.C. Keeler; and
Martha M., wife of S.B. Clark.
Ebenezer Shaw was born in Middlebury, Mass., April 20, 1773. From
there he removed with his father to Rochester, Mass., thence to Woodstock,
Vt., and from there to Shrewsbury. At Shrewsbury he married Polly Whitney,
daughter of Eliphlet Whitney, August 30, 1796. The following winter he
moved to Hartland, and from Hartland to Morristown, in February, 1800.
While living in Woodstock Mr. Shaw learned the tanner's trade, and was
the first tanner and shoemaker that lived and carried on business in Morristown.
His wife, Polly, died in 1835, aged fifty-eight years, being the mother
of twelve children, none of whom are now living. In 1836, Mr. Shaw was
again married, to Abigail Sherwin, who died in 1859, leaving no issue.
Ebenezer died in 1866, aged ninety-three years. His son, Edwin H., was
born in this town in 1818, married Pelina W. Gay in 1844, and located upon
the farm where his widow and their son, Charles L., now reside. He died
April 6, 1881.
Joseph Burke, from Westminster, Vt., came to Morristown in 1800,
and located upon the farm now owned by A. M. Burke, on road 10. Here he
reared a family of twelve children; five sons and seven daughters; and
remained until his death, in 1846. But two of the children are now living,
Joseph and Carlos C., the former aged eighty-nine years, and the latter
seventy-three. Both live together on the old farm, neither ever having
married. Samson, the eldest son of Joseph, came here with his father, married
Levisa Haskins, and reared a family of ten children, six of whom now live
in the town. Two, A.M. and C.C., constitute an enterprising law firm. Samson
died October 18, 1863, and his wife died June 20, 1878.
Asa Cole came to this town in 1800, and located on road 8, upon
the farm now owned by his son, Morris. He married Sally Jerold and had
born to him eight children. He died in 1852, aged eighty years. His wife
died in 1832. Morris, the only one of the children now living, was born
December 16, 1801, and married Mary Champlin in 1828. Two children blessed
this union, Albert M., who lives at home with his father, and Mary A.,
wife of E.E. Brigham.
Nathan Gates, Jr., born in Plainfield, N.H., in 1777, came to Morristown
in 1802, and located on a farm upon which he resided until his death, April
6, 1858. Sylvester L. Gates, son of Nathan, born here in 1809, married
Lydia Ferrin, and has had two children. Mr. Gates has proven himself to
be a first-class farmer, and also a man of considerable literary attainments.
Ira Edwards, from Amherst, Mass., came to this town in 1807, and
located upon the farm now owned by N.S. Edwards, on road 66. He had a family
of seven children, two of whom, N.S. and Adelia Borden, are living. N.S.
Edwards married Alvira Stevens, and has three children.
Luther Bingham located in the western part of the town in 1802.
He became a prominent man, amassed a large fortune, and represented the
town many years in the legislature.
Jedediah Bingham, from New Hampshire, came here in 1811, and settled
on road 75, upon the farm now owned by H.B. Sturgis. He died Fehruary 28,
1870. Four of his children are now living, though he had but one son, Charles
E., who resides on road 36.
Lebbens Spaulding, from New Hampshire, came to Morristown in 1810,
and settled upon the farm now occupied by Frank Spaulding, on road 80,
where he resided until his death, about 1868. Of his family of eight children,
four are now living. Charles, in Craftsbury, Vt., J. W., Jefferson, and
Isaac, in this town. Lebbens was captain of a militia company for many
years, and built upon his farm the second saw-mill erected in the township.
Hon. Vernon W. Waterman was born in Johnson, Vt., July 30, 1811.
When three years of age he went with his farther to Montpelier, Vt., to
live, and remained there until nineteen years of age, when he came to Morristown
to reside with his uncle, Hon. David P. Noyes, who was engaged in mercantile
pursuits. At the age of twenty-one years he entered into partnership with
Mr. Noyes, continuing the connection about eight years, when he engaged
in business for himself, at Cady's Falls. For his first wife Mr. Waterman
married Adaline Cady, of Stowe, by whom he had two children, George L.,
now an attorney-at-law, of Hyde Park, and Caroline E., wife of Hon. H.
H. Powers, of Morrisville. Mrs. Waterman died Apri1 23, 1843; Mr. Waterman
then married Amanda S. Wales, daughter of Hon. Geo. E. Wales, of Hartford,
Vt., February 26, 1846, this union being blessed with three children, only
one of whom is now living. Mr. Waterman has held many positions of trust,
among which that of representative in the legislature for 1844-'45; he
was also assistant judge of the county court two terms, sheriff two terms,
and has been postmaster at Cady's Falls ever since the office was established
there, in 1858. He has also attended every court held in Lamoille county
since its organization, in 1835; was court auditor for nearly thirty years,
and was one of the three delegates from Lamoille county to the constitutional
convention held at Montpelier in January, 1857.
William Small, of Amherst, N.H., served all through the revolutionary
war, and at its close received an honorable discharge, and the balance
of his pay due in Continental money, which was almost worthless at that
time. In 1812, with Patience, his wife, and six children, he removed to
this town. The two eldest children, William and George, remained in Amherst
until 1818, when they too came to the town. George was born at Amherst,
July 1, 1789. The same year he came to Morristown he married Orpha Wilkins,
of Amherst, who still survives him. As a result of this union there were
born five sons and five daughters; Dr. J. B. Small, of Winooski, Frank
and Hiram, of this town, and L. S. Small, of Hyde Park. Mrs. W.T. Herrick,
and Mary, widow of E. H. Blossom, of Winooski, survive him. Mr. Small led
a very exemplary life, both public and domestic. He died May 26, 1875.
William yet resides here.
Solomon Stow, from New Hampshire, came to this town about 1812,
and located near the central part of the town, where he reared a family
of ten children. He was born November 19, 1777, and died July 27, 1845.
None of his family except Haven P. are now living. He was born June 28,
1820, married a Miss Bridge, and has two children, Fluella R. and Anna
Timothy Terrill, from Fletcher, Vt., came to Morristown in the autumn
of 1817, resided here until 1828, when he removed to Underhill, where he
died, about 1833. Moses, son of Timothy, born May 9, 1799, came here with
his father and located upon the farm now owned by his son, N.A. Terrill,
on road 2, where he resided until about 1848, when he removed to the farm
now occupied by R.S. Gallup, and a few years previous to his death located
in Cady's Falls. Moses married Matilda Weld, by whom he had three children,
two of whom are living. For his second wife he married Minerva Calkins,
rearing seven children, four of whom are living. He was possessed of strict
integrity, was an excellent judge of property, strictly temperate, economical
and just in all his dealings, and by the exercise of these virtues he not
only gained the regard and affection of his neighbors, but also amassed
a handsome property. He never sought office, but was frequently elected
as one of the selectmen and listers. In his early years he was identified
in politics with the then popular Democratic party, and was elected and
served as a member of the legislature, in 1843. When the question of the
extension of slavery was agitated he espoused the cause of universal freedom,
and has been a member of the Republican party since its organization. Mr.
Terrill, or "Uncle Moses," as he was more familiarly known, died April
4, 1883, and with his death the town lost one of its most respected and
one of its oldest inhabitants. Mrs. Terrill is still living, at the advanced
age of eighty years.
Elijah Lyman, from Pomfret, Vt., came here in 1818, and located
in the northern part of the town, where he married Lydia Chamberlin and
reared eight children, three of whom are living, as follows: Harriet, wife
of Enos Cady, of Iowa; George W., residing in Cambridge; and Erastus P.,
of this town. Mrs. Lyman died in 1843, and Elijah in 1849.
Moses Wells, a soldier of the revolutionary war, settled in this
town about 1800, upon the farm now owned by his grandson, L.H. Hadley.
He died November 22, 1839, aged eighty-two years.
Isaac Allen, from Randolph, Vt., came to Morristown in 1818, and
located upon the farm now owned by his son, Ephraim E. He reared a family
of six children, all of whom are living. He died May 28, 1871, aged eighty-two
years. His wife died February 11, 1845, aged forty-three years. Ephraim
E. was born here in 1822, married Ruth M. Loveland, and has two children.
Joseph E. Noyes, son of Oliver Noyes, came to this town about 1818,
married Sarah Sawyer, and built the brick house now standing on the corner
of Main and High streets, where he resided until his death, August 30,
1830. Mr. Noyes was engaged in mercantile pursuits, carried on two farms,
and dealt largely in real estate. Mrs. Noyes died about thirty years ago,
leaving four sons.
Jonathan Douglass, from Richmond, Vt., came here in 1825, and located
upon the farm he now occupies, on road 71. He married Sally Cole and reared
ten children, six of whom are living.
Stephen Gile came to Morristown, from Lebanon, N.H., in 1826, and
located upon the farm now owned by his son, Eli B. He reared a family of
nine children, and died in 1870. His wife died during the same year. Two
of their children now reside in the town, Abigail, wife of James Cross,
and S.S., the third selectman of the town. S.S. has also been a justice
of the peace several years.
Thomas Cheney, born in Plainfield, N.H., in 1795, came here in 1827,
and located upon the farm he still occupies. He married Sally Stevens,
who died November 5, 1881, after rearing a family of eight children. William
S. Cheney, son of Thomas, resides in Morrisville; Mary S., a daughter,
is the wife of N.A. Terrill; Adelia is the wife of Henry Bryant; and Sarah,
wife of Loyal Hoyt, resides in St. Lawrance county, N. Y.
David Drown, born in New Hampshire in 1800, came to Morristown in
1828, and settled in the western part of the town. In 1856, he removed
to the farm now owned by his sons, H.W. and B.F. Drown, where he died,
February 10, 1882.
Benjamin F. Carlton was born at Windham, Vt., July 15, 1803, and
came to this town in 1828. He married Betsey Lathrop, by whom he had four
children, one of whom, John B., now resides here, on road 24. Mr. Carlton
died June 3, 1879. His wife survived his death until September 22, 1882,
aged eighty four years and ten months.
Lucien H. Hadley, son of Abraham Hadley, was born February 12, 1816.
At the age of twelve years he came to this town to reside with his grandfather,
Moses, on road 36. He married Caroline C. Bingham, and had born to him
three children, James M., Jane M., wife of A.B. Sturges, and Elmer V.,
all of whom reside on the same road. Lucien has resided on the same farm
Horace Powers, from Corydon, N.H., came to this town in 1832. He
first located at the Four Corners, where he remained until 1856, then removed
to Morrisville, where he died, in December, 1867. He was a physician and
surgeon by profession, and practiced until his death. In 1833, he married
Love E. Gillman, who still survives him, and who bore to him three children;
two sons and a daughter. The daughter died when only three years of age.
George E. was a sergeant in Co. E, 3d Vt. Vols., and died of diphtheria,
February 6, 1862, while home on a furlough. H. Henry was born here May
29, 1835, began his education at Morrisville, and graduated at Burlington
in 1855. In 1866, he commenced reading law with Thomas Gleed, and
was admitted to the bar in May, 1858, since which time he has practiced
his profession in this town and in Hyde Park. He represented the town of
Hyde Park in 1858, Morristown in 1874, was State senator in 1872, and State's
attorney for the county in 1861-'62, speaker of the house in 1874, and
was elected judge of the supreme court in the autumn of that year, a position
he still retains.
F.T. George was born in Stowe, Vt., February 6, 1811, a son of Caleb,
who was one of the early settlers of that town. In 1832, he came to this
town, where he has since resided. He married Mary Atherton, and has been
blessed with a family of three children, Josiah A., Harriet E., wife of
Harrison B. George, and Mary E., wife of C.A. Davis.
Rev. Septimus Robinson, a Congregational minister, came to this
town in 1835. He was pastor of the Congregational church for twenty-five
years, and died in 1860. Six of his seven children now are living, one,
James C., in this town. He has been postmaster at Morrisville since 1865.
Baruch Darling was born in Corydon, N.H., January 10, 1799, and
came to this town in 1835, and settled upon the farm he now occupies. He
married Martha Shaw and reared a family of six children, five of whom are
now living, four in this town. Mrs. Darling died September 27, 1882, aged
eighty-four years and six months. Of their children, Chester, Alden, Plumy
and Sarah, wife of Solomon Goodale, reside in this town.
John West, from Northfield, Vt., came to Morristown in 1837, where
he resided until his death, in 1869, aged seventy-three years. Mr. West
held many of the town offices, discharging his duties in a most acceptable
manner. His son is now proprietor of the Vermont House.
E.M. Edwards came to this town from Johnson, Vt., in 1837, and located
upon the farm he now occupies. He has three children, Adelia M., Charles
S., and Mary M.
Hon. George W. Hendee was born in Stowe, Vt., November 30, 1832.
When about six years of age he came with his parents to this town. He attended
school at the People's Academy, studied law with Thomas Gleed, was admitted
to the bar in 1855, and has practiced here since 1858. He represented the
town in 1861-'62, was State senator in 1866, '67 and '68, was elected lieutenant-
1869, served three months, when, upon the death of Gov. P. T. Washburn,
he succeeded him and held the office to the close of the term, and was
in congress from 1873 to 1879, since which time he has attended to his
Orlo Cady, born in Stowe, December 17, 1822, came to this town in
1839, and has resided here since. He represented the town in 1866-'67,
has been a justice of the peace about ten years, and sheriff of the county
Dr. Almerian Tinker commenced the practice of medicine in Johnson
prior to, or about, the year 1830, remained there a few years, then came
to this town, where he remained until his death, March 14, 1880. During
the last thirty-five years of his life he gave up the practice of his profession.
He held several of the town and county offices.
Nehemiah French, born in New Hampshire in 1793, came to this town
from Elmore, Vt., in 1842, and located upon the farm now owned by J.M.
Green, on road 29. In 1819, he married Esther Green, who has borne him
eight children, four of whom are living. Mr. French is now, at the age
of ninety years, the oldest resident of the town. His wife is eighty-five
years of age, and they have lived together sixty-five years.
Sewell Baker, from Waterford, Vt., came to this town in 1842, and
located upon the farm now owned by Bliss C. Goodale. He married Betsey
Brown, and they had born to them five children, four of whom are now living.
Ezekiel Vincent, from Norwich, Vt., came to Morristown in 1843,
and located upon the farm now owned by his adopted son, I.T. Vincent, on
road 26, where he resided until his death, November 15, 1880, aged one
hundred years, two months and eleven days. I.T. Vincent married Irene Haskell,
by whom he had five children, two now living. For his second wife he married
Caroline Green, who also bore him five children, two now living. His third
Adelia Foster, resides with him on the old farm.
Rev. John Gleed, a Congregational minister, preached in different
parts of the county about eighteen years, then, in 1858, gave up the ministry
and located in this town, where he remained until his death, in September,
1869. Thomas, son of John, was born in England, received a common school
education, studied law with L.D. Poland, of Morrisville, and was admitted
to the bar about 1846. He held many of the town trusts here, and died August
29, 1861, aged thirty-five years. Philip K. Gleed, another son, studied
law with his brother, and was admitted to the bar in December, 1859. He
also has held many of the town and county offices, and is at the present
time the State's attorney.
John Goodrich located in Wolcott about 1839, where he married Amanda
Ferrin and reared a family of seven children. In 1849, he came to this
town, and, in 1855, located upon the farm now owned by his son George,
on road 47. He died at Brattleboro, Vt., in 1873.
Zadock Smith came to this town in 1855, and located upon the farm
now known as the "Malvern place." He died November 30, 1881. Allen B.,
son of Zadock, came here with his father. He was assistant judge of the
county court in 1874-'76, and has been a selectman several years. He married
Roxana P. Jackson and has two children.
Jacob Bates was born in Thompson, Conn., May 7, 1790, served in
the war of 1812, and came to this town in 1865, locating upon the farm
now owned by his son, GeorgeN., where he died, January 21, 1878.
Carlos S. Noyes, son of Breed Noyes, was born in Hyde Park, February
28, 1816, and resided there until 1875, when he came to this town. From
1835 till 1840, he was a merchant in company with Lucius H. on the old
farm. In 1840, he opened a store in Hyde Park village, and built the store
now occupied by W.C. Maxfield. He continued this business until 1842.
In 1843, he was elected constable, and held the office ten years. In 1842,
he was appointed postmaster, which office he held until 1848 or '49. In
1848-'49, he represented Hyde Park in the legislature, and again in 1861-‘62.
He was also town clerk several years, and was cashier of the Lamoille County
Bank from 1855 until 1862. In 1865 or '66, he was appointed one of
the directors of that institution, and in 1877, was made its president,
which position he still retains. From 1851 to 1853, he was clerk of Lamoille
Nathan P. Grout, son of Dexter Grout, was born in Elmore, March
11, 1827. In 1859, he married Melissa S. Smith, of Morristown, and located
at Morristown Corners. In 1863, he removed to Morrisville, where he subsequently
died of heart disease. Three of his five children are now living, Burton
W., Walter D., and Roy N.
Jacob Walker, from Brookfield, Mass., located on road 38 at an early
date. Mr. Walker, more popularly known as Dea. Jacob Walker, was for many
years the county surveyor. He married Philippa Story, by whom he reared
a family of nine children, two of whom, Zebiah Burke, aged eighty-three
years, and Cynthia Stevens, aged seventy-eight years, are living. For his
second wife Mr. Walker married Johanna Fitch, by whom he reared four children.
Jacob was born in 1765, and died in 1843, aged seventy-seven years. His
son, Cordilla F., now resides in Morrisville.
Joseph Earl, from New Hampshire, came to this town in 1801, and
located upon the farm now owned by Seymour Harris. He married Sally Brockway,
of Walpole, N.H., and reared a family of ten children, one of whom, Hiram,
now resides here, aged eighty-three years. Joseph was ninety-five years
of age at the time of his death.
Nathaniel Goodell, one of the early settlers, came here from Massachusetts.
He reared a family of eight children. His son, Nathaniel, was born November
2, 1803, married Prudence Stowe, for his first wife, by whom he had five
children. She died March 24, 1857. His second wife, Esther H. Goodell,
now resides in Morrisville. Mr. Goodell died March 17, 1881.
In the war of 1812, Jonathan Cook, Harvey Olds, and six others enlisted
for six months. Joseph Burke, Adam Sumner, and Clement and Thompson Stoddard,
also enlisted during the war. During the late war Morrisville furnished
164 enlisted men, twenty-six of whom were killed in battle, or died from
the effects of wounds received, or diseases contracted while in the service.
The First Congregational Church of Morristown, located at Morrisville,
was organized July 14, 1807, by Rev. Jonathan Hovey, the meeting being
held in Jacob Walker's barn. No house of worship, for any denomination,
was built until 1823, when a large brick house was erected at the Four
Corners, by the Congregational and Baptist societies. In 1839-'40,
the wood structure at Morrisville was built, and enlarged and improved
in 1857, and again in 1873, so that it is now a neat building, capable
of comfortably seating 300 persons, and valued at $8,000.00. The first
settled pastor was Rev. Daniel Rockwell, in 1824. The society now has 125
members, with Rev. William A. Bushee, pastor.
The Christian Church of Morristown, was organized November 13, 1828,
by Jabez Newland, John Orcott, and Royal Haskell, with nineteen members.
The society is now in a prosperous condition, with Rev. E.W. West, pastor.
The Free Will Baptist Church, located at Morristown Four Corners,
has a church building capable of seating 200 persons, valued $1,200.00,
with Rev. L. Sargent, pastor.
The Methodist Church, located at Morrisville, has a flourishing
society, with Rev. Clark Wedgeworth, pastor.
of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, VT.; 1883-1884, Compiled and Published
by Hamilton Child; May 1887, Page 114-119)
was provided by Tom Dunn.
–1884 Morristown Business Directory
of Pastors, Deacons & Parishioners of the
Church, Morrisville, VT