OF ORANGE COUNTY, VT.
OF THE TOWN OF
CORINTH lies in the central part of the county in latitude 44°
2' and longitude 4° 42,' bounded northerly by Orange, Topsham and Newbury,
easterly by Bradford and West Fairlee, southerly by Vershire, and westerly
by Washington. It was first chartered by New Hampshire, February 4, 1764,
to Col. John TAPLIN and others, and a confirmatory grant was afterwards
procured from New York, by Henry MOORE and others, February 2, 1772. It
contains an area of 23,040 acres.
The surface of this township is generally very uneven and broken,
and the elevations abrupt, yet the land is in almost every part, susceptible
of cultivation. The soil consists of a dark loom, mixed with a small portion
of sand, is easily cultivated, and is very productive. The land was originally
timbered with hard wood except on the streams, where there was a mixture
of hemlock, spruce and fir. There is nothing peculiar in its minerology.
Specimens of feldspar, garnet, serpentine, hornblend, mica and rock crystal
have been found. The rocks are principally of calciferous mica schist formation.
An extensive bed of copper ore extends through the town. The first discovery
of this ore in the town was made by Ira TOWLE, and the first attempt to
work it was made by a Mr. BARBER, of New York, who made several excavations
on the bed, and obtained considerable ore from the surface; but the encouragements
were not sufficient to induce a great investment of capital, and the lease
which he had was suffered to expire.. In 1854 the "Corinth Copper Company"
commenced their labors upon the bed, and continued the explorations commenced
by Mr. BARBER. After having worked the mine about two years the company
became satisfied of the impracticability of working the surface layer for
Ore, and it was again abandoned. From this surface work, which had been
unprofitable to all engaged in it thus far, the truth of the existence
of an immense amount of valuable copper ore has become well established.
"The Union Copper Company" also worked the mines for a number of years,
getting out large quantities of valuable ore. The place where the mines
were worked is known as Pike hill, in the northern part of the town.
In 1880 Corinth had a population of 1,627 souls. In 1886 the town
had fifteen school districts and fifteen common schools, employing six
male and twenty-three female teachers, who received an average weekly salary,
including board, of $7.05 and $4.87 respectively. There were 272 scholars,
sixteen of whom attended private schools. The entire income for school
purposes was $2,300.11, while the total amount expended was $2,383.58,
with Corydon Fellows, superintendent.
WEST CORINTH (p. o.) village, located about one and one-half miles
from the west and two and three-fourths., miles from the south line of
the town, consists of one store, a grist and saw-mill, one church (Free
Baptist), and a dozen dwellings.
EAST CORINTH (p. o.) lies in the northeastern part of the township,
extending over the Topsham line. A branch of Wait's river passes through
the village from north to south, furnishing power for grist and saw-mills,
bobbin factory, and several shops, and joins the main stream near the village,
which contains twenty-five or thirty dwellings, a church, graded school,
two or three stores, etc. A fine brick hotel, stage lines to various points,
and a telephone are among the public conveniences.
CORINTH, a post village locally known as Cookeville, is situated
about one mile south of the center of the town, and contains two stores.
Cookeville academy and graded school, two blacksmith shops, one carriage
and one harness shop, a grist-mill, hotel, and twenty or twenty-five dwellings.
The principal -part of the village lies upon the hillside, about 150 or
200 feet above the south branch of Wait's river. It is supplied with a
telephone, and a daily stage runs to Bradford.
CORINTH CENTER, a hamlet three-fourths of a mile east from Cookeville,
contains a Congregational church and half a dozen farm houses. A general
store was formerly kept here.
CORINTH CORNERS, a hamlet situated in the southwestern corner of
the town, contains one church, a school-house, saw-mill and a dozen dwellings.
Goose GREEN is the local appellation of a meadow basin lying at
the junction of roads 46, 47, 58 and 59.
Moses SPEAR's grist-mill, at West Corinth, leased by C. F. BLAKE,
is operated by water-power and does custom grinding.
R.C. STREETER's saw-mill, at Corinth Corners, has been owned by
the present proprietor since 1875. He does custom work. A tub factory was
added in 1879.
The MCDUFFEE saw mill, located at East Corinth, was built in 1880
by J. C. BURNS, the present proprietor, on the site of a mill erected by
Caleb TAPLIN, and which was washed away by a freshet. The capacity of the
mill is 800,000 feet of lumber annually.
In the spring of 1777, previous to the settlement of the town, Ezekiel
COLBY, John NUTTING and John ARMOND spent several weeks in the town manufacturing
maple sugar. They started together from Newbury, each with a five-pail
kettle on his head, and with this load they traveled, by a pocket compass,
twelve miles through the wilderness to the place of destination near the
center of the township. This year Mr. COLBY moved his family into Corinth,
which was the first family in town. The next year Mrs. COLBY gave birth
to a son, the first child born in the town. He was named Henry, and the
proprietors of the town, according to the established custom, gave him
one hundred acres of land.
In 1779 Edmund BROWN, Samuel NORRIS, Jacob FOWLER and Bracket TOWLE
moved their families here, and the same year John AIKEN, of Wentworth,
N. H., erected the first grist mill, which went into operation the year
following. Previous to this the settlers had to go to Newbury, twelve miles
distant, for their grinding. They traveled on foot, with their grain upon
their backs, their only guide through the forest being "blazed" trees.
In 1780 several other families came in, and this year the town was organized.
George BONDFIELD was elected first town clerk; Hezekiah SILLOWAY and John
TAPLIN first selectmen; David MCKEEN first constable; and Nehemiah LOVEWELL
first representative. During this year Lieut. ELLIOT built a small fort
here, where he was stationed with twenty men to defend the settlers against
the incursions of the Indians and tories, which were by no means infrequent.
Col. WAIT and Major KINGSBURY, in 1781, with two companies of soldiers,
built a fort near the center of the town, on what is called Cooke’s hill,
and made this their headquarters. October 16, of this year, five men from
this fort, viz.: Moses WARNER, John BARRET, John SARGEANT, Jonathan LUCE
and Daniel HOVEY, being on a scout, and proceeding down Winooski river,
were fired upon by a party of sixteen tories. WARNER, SARGEANT and BARRET
were wounded, the latter mortally. He lived about forty hours and was buried
near the margin of Winooski river, in Colchester. The others were taken
to Quebec, where they remained until the next spring, when they were allowed
to return to their homes. In 1782 a British scouting party from Canada,
about twenty in number, under Major BRECKENRIDGE, after annoying the settlers
of Newbury, killing one man and taking another a prisoner, proceeded to
Corinth, where they compelled the settlers to take the oath of allegiance
to the British king.
Col. John TAPLIN, one of the proprietors, early settled in the northeast
part of the town, and was the first of that name to locate here. Nathan
TAPLIN, a grandson of Col. John, came to Corinth from Southbury, Mass.,
at an early day, and was the first settler on a farm on road 36, where
Nathan TAPLIN now resides, and where he remained until his death, in 1824.
He married Elizabeth TAYLOR, of Massachusetts, and their children were
Susan, Betsey, Lovina, Sophia and Elliot. The latter located on the homestead
farm in this town, where he remained until his death, November 9, 1870,
aged ninety-two years. He married, first, Sally WOODS, by whom he had one
daughter, Sally, and second, Sarah LOCKE, by whom he had children as follows:
Elizabeth, Lucinda, Sophia, James, Elliott, Nancy, Harriet, Susan, Elmira
and Nathan. The latter married Caroline A. BICKFORD, of Corinth, daughter
of Paul and Charlotte (MAHEW) BICKFORD, and their children are Elliott
C., Sarah A. Charles B., Addie B, Carrie M. and James O. He is a resident
of this town, on the farm settled by his grandfather, and where he has
resided since his birth. Peter V. MAHEW, a Revolutionary soldier, was a
resident of this town, where he died at the advanced age of ninety-nine
years and six months.
William TAPLIN, with five brothers, came to Corinth about 1780,
and were among the early settlers in the town. They all located on Taplin
hill, and William was the first settler on road 15, where his grandson
William now resides. He married Martha CHAMBERLAIN, and his children were
Martha, Mansfield, Abigail, William, Rachel, Hannah, Richard, Isaac, Micah
and John, all of whom lived to mature age. Isaac married Susan TENNEY,
of this town, daughter of Eliphalet TENNEY, and located on the homestead
farm, where he died in 1843, aged forty-eight years. His children were
E. Tenney, Hannah and William. The latter married Alice, daughter of Richard
and Polly (FELCH) TAPLIN, of this town, by whom he has had one daughter,
and resides on the farm settled by his grandfather, where he has spent
his whole life. E. Tenney TAPLIN married Mary SMART, of Rumney, N. H.,
daughter of Elisha and Betsey (KNIGHT) SMART, and they have one dlaughter,
Susan T. He resides on road 14, where he has lived since he was five years
Capt. Nathan B. TAPLIN, who served in the War of 1812, was a native
of Corinth, where he remained until his death. He married Hannah STEVENS,
of this town, and their children were Michael, Amanda, Lowell, Edwin and
Edson (twins), Nathan, Martha and Aristocrats. The latter married Sophronia
SAWYER, daughter of Thomas and Annie (MARTIN) SAWYER, of this town, and
their children were Harry, Emily, Abbie A., Mary and Frank. Aristarcus
died in October, 1880, aged sixty eight years, and his widow survives him,
aged seventy-five years, a resident of East Corinth village.
Joseph H. TAPLIN, a native of this town, married Julia A., daughter
of Joseph and Sally (ROBIE) TAPLIN, of Fairfield, Vt., and their children
were Edward (deceased), George W., Joseph E., Sarah (Mrs. A. H. LITTLE)
and Mary M. He died in 1883, aged sixty-six years. His widow resides on
the homestead farm. George W. married Ellen K. MOWLE, of East Cambridge,
Mass., and they have two children, Edith M. and Charles E. Joseph E. married,
first, Emma C. LAYTON, and their children were as follows: Edward R, (deceased),
Helen J. and Frank. By his second wife, Phebe A. QUIMBY, he has two children,
Anna E. and Emma I.
Caleb LADD, a native of Massachusetts, came to this town between
1780 and 1790, among the early settlers, and located upon a farm off road
16, where he remained until his death, at the age of fifty years. He married
Betsey TAPLIN, and their children were John, Caleb, Sally and Bodwell.
The latter married Hannah, daughter of Thomas and Ann (MARTIN) SAWYER,
and located on the homestead farm, where he died in 1867, aged seventy
years. His children were Caleb, Charles B., Emily and. Thomas S. The latter
married, first, Lydia, daughter of William MARTIN, of Bradford, by whom
he had three children, Ida, William and Annie S., and second, Caroline
ANDRUSS. Mr. LADD is again a widower, and resides on road 37. He is a public
spirited citizen, and held the office of selectman four years.
Simon JOHNSON, a native of Massachusetts, came to Corinth in 1780
and built one of the first grist and saw-mills in the town. He remained
here until his death, aged seventy years. He married Judith MANCHESTER,
and their children were William, Isaiah, Eunice, Phebe and Dolly. William
followed the triple occupation of clothier, tanner and blacksmith. He married
Mary MCKEEN, of this town, and their children were Atlantis, Mary, Silas
and William. The latter married Betsey, daughter of Gouldburn and Susan
(PAGE) TAPLIN, and their children are Ellen, Susan and Charles R. He has
been a resident of East Corinth village for a quarter of a century.
Reuben STEVENS, son of Daniel, one of the early settlers of Corinth,
was born in this town, where he made his home until his death in 1883,
aged eighty-two years. He married Rebecca, daughter of James and Esther
(CHURCH) DICKEY, of Topsham, and their children were Mary J., Carlos, Emily
M., George W., Alma S. and. Samuel C. The latter married Nancy, daughter
of Charles and Dorothy (HALL) EMERSON, and their children were Willie C.,
who died August 3, 1876; Georgianna, who died January 3, 1865; Cora E.,
who died July 1, 1866; Maud E. and Lenwood R. He resides in. this town
on a farm on road 10, where he has lived for over forty years.
Reuben PAGE, a Revolutionary soldier, was a native of Massachusetts,
whence he came to Corinth as one of the earliest settlers, and was the
first occupant of the so called PAGE farm, on road 10, where George PRESCOTT
now lives. Here Mr. PAGE remained until his death at the advanced age of
100 years. He married Betsey STEVENS, of this town, and their children,
were John, Daniel, Samuel, Ephraim, William, Reuben, Charles, Abigail,
Eliza, Polly and Betsey. William married, first, Clarissa SEAVER, and their
children were Charles, William, Diantha Orissa, Sarah, Melvina, Clarissa,
John and Frank. The latter, who has been a resident of East Corinth village
for fifty years, married Hannah SAWYER, and their children are Sidney C.,
Mary A., Frank E. and Flora A. S.
Joseph and William FELLOWS, from Salisbury, Mass., were early settlers
at Corinth Corners. Joseph married Elizabeth LOWE and brought his bride
to this town in 1791, although he first came here and improved his land
in 1781, when nineteen years of age. His clearing was upon the farm now
occupied by his grandson, Corydon. He built the first saw-mill at the Corners,
in 1791, and the same year sawed the boards for his house, which he moved
into in 1792, and which is still standing, the oldest house in the place.
He died in. 1843, aged eighty-eight years, and his wife in 1848, aged eighty-seven
years. They reared three sons -- Samuel, Joseph and Hubbard -- and two
daughters. The three sons and one daughter married and located in the same
district. Joseph was actively interested in town affairs. Hubbard held
the offices of selectman and representative several terms, and was a man
of prominence. He died in 1862, aged sixty-two years. He married Mary A.
EATON, by whom he had eight children, five of whom are living, viz.: Liberty
E. in Iowa; Hubbard F. in Dakota; and Corydon, Carolin and Sarah L. upon
the old homestead. This farm is near the geographical center of Orange
county, and an effort was made to locate the county buildings here before
Chelsea was chosen as the county seat.
Alpha METCALF, son of Samuel and a native of Oakham, Mass., came
to Corinth in 1788, at the age of eight years. He remained here until his
death, in 1867, aged eighty-seven years. He married Mahetable STEVENS,
of Enfield, N. H., and their children were Edward, Hannah, Sophia, John
and Alpheus. The latter married Emily, daughter of Charles and Lydia (WRIGHT)
CHILD, of West Fairlee, and has resided on the homestead farm since his
birth. He has held the office of selectman four years, town auditor seven
years, and justice of the peace eight years, and is the only survivor of
Daniel STEVENS, son of Daniel, was born in Salem, N. H., July 19,
1764, and died July 19, 1851. He married Martha BEDELL, of Salem, who was
born September 14, 1766, and died May 22, 1847. Mr. STEVENS came to this
town, November 17, 1788, and was the first settler on a farm on road 11,
where he remained until his death. He served his country faithfully in
the War of 1812, participating in several battles. His children were Hannah,
Michael, Sarah, Abigail, Daniel, Jacob, Sally, Reuben, Polly, Eliza, Caroline
and George W. Reuben married Rebecca DICKEY, of Topsham, and his children
were Mary J., Alma, Carloss, Emily, Samuel C. and George W. The latter
married Mary M. CORLISS, of this town, daughter of Hiram, and their children
are Henry C., Frank A. and Almond C. Mr. STEVENS resides in this town on
road 9, where he has lived for twenty-three years. Michael STEVENS , who
served in the War of 1812, married, first, Mary CORLISS, who bore him two
childien, Horatio N. and Susan, and second, Eliza C., daughter of Joseph
CLARK, of Newbury, and their children were John E. and Jonas W., who occupy
the homestead farm, and Daniel, Helen M., Caroline A., and Oscar H.
Edward ROBIE, son of Walter, and a native of Candia, N. H., came
to Corinth in 1789, and here remained until .his death at the age of fifty-seven
years. He married Sarah EMERSON, of Candia, N. H., and their children were
Nancy, Jonathan, Susie, John, Sally, Edward, Eliza, Nathaniel, Mary, Ichabod,
Hannah and Richard E. The latter married Sarah KASSON, of Topsham, daughter
of Thomas and Clarissa (HUTCHINS) KASSON, and resides on a farm on road
20, in this town, where he has made his home for over twenty-eight years.
Jethro, Ezra, Ezekiel and Joshua SLEEPER and Joshua GEORGE, came
from Sandown, N. H., and settled in the southwest part of this town about
1793. Jethro SLEEPER moved to the west village in 1809, where he built
the two-story house which stands opposite the store, and bought the grist-mill
and saw-mill and carried on the business of manufacturing lumber for many
years. He reared three sons and three daughters, viz.: George, David, Roswell,
Nancy, Deborah and Caroline. He died at the age of seventy-six years.
Daniel COOKE, born in 1766, came to Corinth soon after attaining
his majority, with a cash capital of $14. His father was Phineas COOKE,
a wealthy resident of Newton, Mass., who, during the Revolutionary war,
raised a company, equipped them, and paid their wages, through which liberality
he became poor. Daniel engaged in merchandising, keeping store in one room
of the house of John NUTTING, a short distance northeast of the present
village of Corinth. He also established a tannery, potashery, grist-mill
and distillery, also dealt largely in cattle and dressed beef, which he
took to Boston market. He owned a large landed property, and built the
brick store now owned by his grandson, in which the family have continuously
carried on the mercantile business since 1818. He also built the large
house at the southwest corner of the streets and kept hotel there. He was
a popular citizen, and served the town acceptably as representative. He
married, first, Mary, daughter of John NUTTING, about 1791, by whom he
had one son, Leander, born in 1793, his wife dying at that time. He afterwards
married Dorothy, a sister of his first wife, by whom he had six sons and
five daughters, of whom George died young. Theodore was a merchant in Corinth
all his life. Albert was a tanner in this town. Daniel R. and Henry C.
succeeded their father in the brick store. Charles O. is a farmer in this
town. Leander was second and Theodore the fourth postmaster at Corinth.
Daniel R. was justice of the peace many years. He married Caroline SLEEPER,
and their only child, George C., who has been in trade here since 1865,
has been town clerk since 1867, and postmaster for the past two years.
Joshua MERRILL, a descendant of Nathaniel MERLE, who came to America
from France in 1635, came with an ox team from Atkinson, N. H., to Corinth
in 1795, and settled in the eastern part of the town in the Taplin neighborhood.
He was a man of prominence in the town, was justice of the peace over thirty
years, selectman and lister. He died at the age of seventy-five years.
His wife was Dorcas RICHARDSON, who became the mother of sixteen children.
Thomas E. MERRILL, the second son, was born in Corinth in 1797, and died
here in 1868. He was a well-to-do farmer, and owned the farm upon which
his grandson Rodney E. now lives. He married Mary CROOK, daughter of Reuben,
by whom he had two sons and two daughters -- Mary A., John, Emily C. and
George H. Rodney E. MERRILL, son of John and Martha L. (BROWN) MERRILL,
is of the fourth generation of the family in Corinth.
Stephen MERRILL was an early settler in Corinth, on the farm now
owned by Isaac H. WIGGINS. He came with his wife from Deerfield, N. H.,
and passed the remainder of his life in this town. He was twice married,
first to Mary HOYT, by whom he had one son and two daughters, and second
to Abigail SAWYER, who bore him one daughter, Louisa, widow of Cheney D.
WILLIAMS. He died in 1842, aged seventy years. Cheney D. WILLIAMS, born
in Chelsea, died July 2, 1867, aged thirty-eight years.
Samuel CURRIER was a native of Hampstead, N. H., where he died,
aged sixty-five years. His son Samuel, also a native of Hampstead, came
to Corinth among the early settlers. He married Demarius STEPHENS, and
their children were Stephen, Samuel, Sally, Susan, Aphia, Eliza, Polly,
Calvin and Ruth. Calvin married, first, Lydia WARD, of this town, who bore
him two children, Laura and Sabin, now dead, and second, Diantha LANG,
daughter of William and Hannah (DUSTIN) LANG, and resides on a farm on
road 34, where he has lived twenty years.
John W. WILSON, son of William, who was a son of Robert, was born
in Chester, N. H., and at the age of ten years came to this town with his
father, who was the first settler on the farm now occupied by M. Dickinson.
He married. Louisa THURBER, of Corinth, and their children were Caroline,
Mandana, Aaronette, Julia, Lucy and Harrison A. The latter served in Co.
G, 9th Vt. Vols., three years during the late war. He married Helen COOKE,
of this town, and their children were Arthur G., Nettie M. and Herbert
A. The latter married Rosa S., daughter of William and Aurora (CRAFT) MCFARLIN,
and their children are Cora B., Annie M. and Helen L. He resides on a farm
on road 33, in this town. William MCFARLIN also served in Co. G, 9th Vt.
Christopher AVERY, a native of New London, Conn., came to this town
with his wife, Sally JONES, on horseback, among the early settlers, and
located on the farm now owned by Miller RICHARDSON. He died in this town
about 1845. His children were Oliver, Alvah, Lura, Nathaniel, Christopher,
Sally, Putnam, Simon, Philander, Harriet and Elias J. By a second marriage,
with Sophia LUND, his children were Noah L., Newell T., Leonard, Caroline
R., Melville M. and Joel. Elias J. married Mary S. WOODMAN, of Washington,
daughter of Peter and Mary (GLINES) WOODMAN, by whom he had children as
follows: Fernald S., Almeda M., Osgood, Sally and George B., all of -whom
are dead. Elias J. AVERY now resides on a farm on road 66, where he, has
lived fifty-two years.
Alvah AVERY, son of Christopher, was born in Corinth. He married
Abigail BROWN, of Vershire, daughter of Ebenezer and Mary (WHITTIER) BROWN,
of Taplin; N. H., and reared one adopted son, William B. D., a son of Mrs.
Alvah AVERY's sister, Fanny BROWN. William B. D. AVERY married S. Jannette
CLEMENT, of Corinth, daughter of Obadiah and Phebe (MERRILL) CLEMENT, and
their children are Jennie L. (Mrs. Timothy G. BRONSON), of Dakota, Effie
A., Alvah D., Louie, Ellen J. and Abbie B. Mr. AVERY resides in this -town
on a farm on road 66, where he has lived fifty years. He has been active
in town affairs, and held the office of selectman two years.
Phebe CLEMENT, mentioned above, daughter of Samuel and Phebe (FULLER)
MERRILL, came to this town from Topsfield, Mass., with her parents who
were among the early settlers. She married Obadiah CLEMENT, and their children
are Mary E., of Lowell, Mass., S. Jannette, Laura A., Julia A., Lucinda
D., Lucy J. and Evelin M.
Edmond EASTMAN, who came from Londonderry, N. H., was one of the
early settlers of Corinth, where he died at the age of over eighty years.
His children were Jesse, Orsamus, James, Harvey, Lydia, Polly and Edmund.
The latter married Polly CURRIER, of Newburyport, Mass., who died in 1876,
aged ninety-four years, he dying in 1858, aged eighty-one years. Their
children are Ransom, Calvin, Lyman, Addison, Betsey, Lucinda, Polly, Nancy,
Mandana and Emerson E. The latter married Charlotte SCRIBNER, of this town,
and they have one son, Winfield S., who married Jennie S. BATCHELDER, of
Topsham, and their children are Fred L., Henry E. and Willie C. He resides
in this town with his father, on a farm on road 7, where the latter has;
lived for over thirty years.
Reuben LOCKE, a native of Rye, N. H., came to this town about 1795,
and remained until his death, aged sixty-six years. He married Phebe CHAPMAN,
of Epsom, N. H., and they were among the twelve members who organized the
first Congregational church in the town. Their children were Reuben, John,
Blake, Haynes, Alice, Anna, Mary, Sarah and David. The latter married Olive
BICKFORD, of this town, and their children were Reuben, John, Armedia,
Anna, Mary A., Olive, Phebe, Martha, Julia, Annice, Sarah, Blake, Bickford,
David, Charles, Reuben, Jannette and John B. The latter married Caroline,
daughter of Joseph and Sarah (ROBIE) TAPLIN, of Fairfield, and their children
were Frankie and Joseph, deceased, Julia A., Helen C., Emma S., Spaulding
F., Harmon J., David B. and William F. William, Elroy LOCKE, M. D., was
born in Corinth in 1861. He attended the Bradford academy, and studied
medicine with Dr. J. H. JONES, of Bradford, graduating from the Hahnemann
Medical college of Philadelphia, Pa., in 1884. He soon after purchased
the good will and practice of Dr. M. J. BIXBY, of Cookeville, where he
has since been in practice. He married Lena A., daughter of John and Martha
(SANBORN) SANBORN, of Barton, Vt., in 1884. Blake LOCKE, mentioned above,
married Mary A., daughter of Evans and Annette (BICKFORD) MCCRELLIS, of
this town, and they have had born to them four children, viz.: Mabel, Nettie
E., Ira and Willie. He resides on a farm, on road 35, where he has lived
since his birth.
Samuel CORLISS, a native of Haverhill, Mass., located in Haverhill,
N. H. at an early day, where he remained four years, when he removed to
this town, his family being the fourth to locate here, and where he died
aged about eighty years. He married Hannah SILVER, and their children were
Willoughby, Daniel, Polly, Jonathan, Deborah, Nancy, John, Lodisa and Jonathan.
The latter married Polly TAPLIN, and their children were SMITH, Guy, Voda,
Jonathan, Jr., Moody, Alden, Johnson, Deborah, Polly and Bliss. Bliss married
Amanda M. TAPLIN, and they have two daughters and one son, viz.: Sophronia
A., Amanda M. and Edwin R., the latter of whom married, first, Sarah TAPLIN,
and second, Lutheria, daughter of George W. and Mary (METCALF) STEVENS.
By his first wife he had one son, Everett. Sophronia married George W.
BACON, of Fall River, Mass. Amanda M. married George E. DIVOLL, and they
have one daughter, Mabel A., of Fall River, Mass. Edwin R. served in Co.
D, 8th Vt. Vols. during the late war, and was; honorably discharged.
Daniel CORLISS, son of Samuel, was a native of Haverhill, Mass.,
came to Corinth in 1794, and was the first settler on a farm off road 10,
where his son Daniel now resides. He married Hepsibeth TAPLIN, of this
town, and their children were Willoughby, Samuel, Lodica, Hepsibeth, Marietta,
Sally, Mansfield, Nancy A. and Daniel. The latter married, first, Mariah
UNDERHILL, of Bradford, who bore him two children, Ella B. and Hannah M.,
and second, Susan S., daughter of Jacob and Betsey (TAPLIN) Farr, of Corinth,
by whom he has had three children-Albert Z., Willie H. H., and Hiram. Mr.
CORLISS resides in this town on the homestead farm where he was born.
John RICHARDSON came from Andover, Mass., and established a cloth-dressing
mill just below the present grist-mill at West Corinth village about 1800,
which business he continued until his death, when his eldest son, John,
Jr., then a lad of sixteen years, assumed it. Mr. RICHARDSON bought the
house in which his grandson, Victor, now lives, one of the first frame
houses erected in this part of the town, and in which his family of eight
children were born. John, Jr., carried on the clothier's business about
thirty-five years. He married Deborah SLEEPER and reared two sons, Rodney
and Victor, two daughters and one son dying in childhood. He was known
by the title of “Squire," and from the age of twenty-nine until his latest
years was in some public office and bore his part in all public enterprises.
He died in March, 1881, in the same room in which he was born, aged eighty
years. His sons Rodney and Victor have carried on singly or in company
the mercantile business since 1857. Rodney served in various town, county
and state offices, and was pension agent several years.
John EDWARDS, a native of Boston, Mass., came to Corinth about 1800,
and engaged in the distilling and tanning business, and here remained until
his death, in June, 1820. He married Nancy ORR, of this town, and their
children were John, Susan, Roanna and William. John married Azuba, daughter
of John and Polly (TOWLE) ORR, and their children were George I. and William
M. He died August 1, 1882, aged sixty-eight years. William M. EDWARDS married
Sarah, daughter of Henry and Philura (BEEDE) DICKINSON, of Keene, N. Y.,
and they have one son, Fred S. Mr. EDWARDS is now a hotel keeper at Corinth
Josiah DEARBORN was a native of Chester, N. H., and died in the
town of Weare. He married Susannah EMERSON, and his children were Henry,
Edmund, Samuel, Peter, John, Josiah, David, Moses, Susanna, Sally, Jonathan
and Nehemiah. The latter was born in 1780 and died in 1846, aged sixty-six
years. He located in this town in 1801, where he married Judith C. HUNTOON,
and their children were Nathaniel A., Susan H., Hannah M., Fanny J., Susan
O., Charles C., Mary S., Caroline P., John A. and George M. The latter
married Mary E., daughter of Ichabod and Janette G. (ROBIE) ROBIE, of this
town, and their children are Jessie M., Van Allen, William B. and Georgina
M. He now resides in Corinth on a farm on road 34. Mr. DEARBORN was born
in West Fairlee, August 5, 1841, and for twelve years was a resident of
Vershire, where he held the usual town offices and represented that town
in the state legislature in 1872, '82 and '84, serving on the committees
on education and state and county expenses. He served in Co. G, 9th Vt.
Vols., three years, and is now town superintendent of schools, which .office
he has held in Corinth and Vershire eight years.
Benjamin CELLEY was a native of Andover, N. H., where he died at
the age of eighty-two years. He married Apphia KENNISTON, and their children
were Benjamin, Philip, William, Sarah, Elijah, Job, Stephen, Rebecca and
Elisha. The latter came to Corinth in 1805 and settled on a farm on road
14, where he remained until his death in 1843, aged seventy-nine years.
He married Sarah KENISTON, of Andover, N. H., and their children were Sarah,
Joel, Elisha, Benjamin, William, Polly, Apphia, Susanna and John. The latter
married Luvinia GREENLEAF, of Bradford, daughter of Samuel and Hannah (ROWE)
GREENLEAF, and they have one daughter, Nancy J., who married William N.
WORTHLEY, of Corinth, and has two children, George W. and Mable E.
Peter, Stephen I. and Henry EATON, brothers, came to Corinth from
Salisbury, Mass. In 1807 Stephen bought the farm now owned by his son,
Frederick P. He was a carpenter and for the seven years proceeding had
worked at his trade and at farming with his brother Peter. He married Susannah
CURRIER, of Newburyport, Mass., in 1800, and was one of the prominent men
of Corinth, holding the offices of representative and selectman for many
terms, and that of justice of the peace forty-six years. His brother Peter
also represented Corinth three years. Stephen had two sons and three daughters,
viz.: Liberty (deceased), Frederick P., Abigail (Mrs. David DEARBORN),
Mary Ann (Mrs. Hubbard FELLOWS) and Lurana.
Charles H. BURNHAM was born in Corinth in 1808. He carried on mercantile
business eight or ten years in the old union store at West Corinth, where
he was instrumental in establishing a post office in 1861. He was the first
postmaster here, and held the office twenty years, dying in 1881.
Aaron SMITH, a native of Hanover, N. H., located in Bradford about
1800, where he followed the dual occupation of farmer and mason until his
death. He reared a family of seven children, viz.: Moses, Epaphras, Aaron,
Harvey, Ann, Abigail and Judith. Epaphras, who was born in Haverhill, N.
H., located in East Corinth village, in 1807, where he practiced his profession
of physician until his death in 1850, aged seventy years. He married Susan
TAPLIN and their children were Susan L., Mariah, Curtis K., Aaron and.
Erdix T. The latter married, first, Emily M., daughter of Winthrop and
Susan (CORLISS) GREEN, of this town, who bore him two children, Charles
B. and Erdix T., Jr., the latter deceased, and second, Elizabeth, daughter
of James and Euphemia (SKINNER) HALLEY, of Glasgow, Scotland, by whom he
has had one son, Erdix T., Jr. Mr. SMITH is a homeopathic physician and
surgeon, and has been in successful practice in this town for thirty-three
years. He is a graduate of Hanover college, and has held many offices of
trust in the town.
Daniel BROWN, of Chester, N. H., came to Corinth previous to 1800,
where he remained until his death in 1804. He married Susanna DURGIN, of
Northwood, N. H., and their children were James, Mary, Susan, Daniel, John
and Walter. The latter married Lydia KENISTON, of Cabot, Vt., daughter
of Nathan KENISTON, and their children are Emily, Julia A. and Oliver W.
The latter married Grace, daughter of John and Ann (Eva) DURKIN,
of this town, and they have had three children -- Estella M., Birdie E.
and Ann E., the latter deceased. Oliver W. resides in this town on road
19, where he has made his home during his whole life.
Dr. Alvah CARPENTER was born in Plainfield, N. H., in 1802. He came
to this town in 1805, where he died in 1883, aged eighty-one years. He
graduated from Castleton (Vt.) Medical college in 1828, and was the first
medical graduate to practice in this town. He was of the allopath school
and practiced successfully here for fifty years. He married Ann Julia,
daughter of Daniel and Dorothy (NUTTING) COOK, of this town, who survives
her husband and resides on the homestead at the age of seventy-five years.
Their children are Julia L., Abigail A., Alvah M. and Minerva A. Alvah
M. married Helen C. LOCKE, of this town, daughter of John B. and Caroline
(TAPLIN) LOCKE, and resides in this town on road 49, where he has lived
since his birth. He has been sheriff of Orange county two years, deputy
sheriff' eighteen years, and constable and collector twelve years.
Nehemiah, Henry, Edmund; Dea Samuel and David DEARBORN, brothers,
from Weare, N. H., settled in Orange county about seventy-five years ago
-- Nehemiah in Vershire and the others in Corinth. Nehemiah married Judith
HUNTOON and had born to him nine children, six of whom are living. He was
one of the Plattsburgh volunteers in the War of 1812, and died in 1847.
Three of his sons served in the late war. Henry was in trade many years
at West Fairlee. Cornelius Van Ness DEARBORN, son of Deacon SAMUEL, was
a lawyer at Nashua, N. H., and United States bank inspector.
Samuel SCRIBNER was born in Andover, N. H., and his wife, Katharine
MARSTON, the same year. They were married November 2, 1796, and in 1800,
removed to Washington, with one son, Josiah, then three years of age. They
were the parents of five sons and six daughters. Josiah was a farmer, and,
located in this town on the farm now owned by John M., in 1817, first working
for the widow of Benjamin BROWN whose daughter Melinda he soon after married.
He lived upon this farm sixty years, and was known as Captain SCRIBNER,
having acquired that military title in the militia. He had born to, him
three sons and three daughters, of whom one son, John M., and two daughters,
Celestia and Maryette, are living. John M. SCRIBNER went to New York state
and engaged in preaching, and was also interested in manufacturing paper.
James went west and died in the civil war. Caleb H. was a farmer and passed
his life in Orange county, dying in Chelsea. John M. was born on the farm
he now occupies, in 1837. He married Nancy (MERRILL), widow of Edwin JACKMAN,
and they have two sons and one daughter. He has served several years as
selectman and also in other town offices.
James THOMPSON, son of James, of English descent, was a native of
Walpole, N. H. He located in Washington about 1850, and finally came to
this town, where he died in 1875, aged eighty-three years. He married,
first, Mary, daughter of Hial PAUL, and second, Sophia CURRIER. His twelve
children, all by his first wife, were Ira, Moody, Philander, Luther, James,
Hial, Hiram, Horace, Mary A., Marcia, Louisa and Sylvester. The latter
married, first, Frances TOBEN, by whom he had two children, Lizzie, deceased,
and Ida, of Boston, Mass., and second, Mariah H. HUDSON, of Boston, daughter
of James and Abbie (CHUBBUCK) HUDSON, of Maine. He has been a resident
of East Corinth for the past seventeen years.
James JENNE was a native of Derby, Vt., where he died. His children
were Job, Tolman, Stillman, Thomas and Betsey. Stillman JENNE was born
in Derby and is now a resident of West Newbury. He married, first, Miranda
T. KING, of Whitefield, N. H., daughter of Asa and Sarah (BURNES) KING,
and their children were Sarah, William S., Viola M., Cora S. and Roswell
C. The latter married Lestina E., daughter of Roswell F. and Avarissa (SIMPSON)
GEORGE, of Bradford, and is an allopath physician and surgeon at East Corinth
village, where he has been in practice for sixteen years, having graduated
from Hanover college, October 30, 1872. He served in Co. B, 6th Vt. Vols.,
and also in Co. I, 17th Vt. Vols., and was elected representative of the
town for the term of 1884-86.
Lester FOX was a native of Suffield, Conn., where he died in 1860,
aged seventy years. He married Harriet GIBBS, of his native town, and their
children were Edward L., Francis S., Leverett, Jane, Lucy A., Mary A. and
William C. The latter married, first, Dresta BEEMAN, of Granby, Conn.,
by whom he had two children, Phelps and Mary A., and second, Marilla E.
DOWNER, of Williston, daughter of Nathan J. and Eliza B. (DOWNER) DOWNER,
and by her has one son, Charles N., who married Estella L., daughter of
Ezra L. and Louisa (FLOWERS) MARSTON, of Weathersfield, Windsor county,
and they have three children-Henrietta E., William C., and Charles N. The
latter graduated from the University of Vermont, in 1884, and is now a
practicing physician and surgeon at East Corinth village.
Zenas STEARNS, a native of Walpole, N. H., came to Corinth in 1832
and settled on a farm on road 9, where he died at the age of eighty-two
years. He married Betsey HEATH, of Bradford, daughter of Isaac, a Revolutionary
soldier, and their children were Betsey, Phineas, Sophronia and Isaac.
The latter married Lodica, daughter of Jonathan and Polly (TAPLIN) CORLESS,
of this town, and their children were Alvira (deceased), Sophronia E.,
Polly A., Maryette, Merinda and George B., the latter a resident of California.
Isaac STEARNS resides in this town on road 9, where he has made his home
for fifty-two years.
Joshua PRESCOTT, a native of Connecticut, located in Washington,
where he remained until his death, aged over eighty years. He married a
Miss MARTIN, and their children were George, John, Aaron, Hilas, Nelson,
Nancy, Emeline, Abigail, Rachel, Louisa and Hannah. George PRESCOTT located
in Montpelier, and finally in Topsham, where he died at the age of forty-four
years. He married, first, Fanny ROBINSON, and their children were Dexter,
George and Mariah, and second, Hannah CORLISS. George married Edna A. CORLISS,
of Corinth, daughter of Capt. Jonathan CORLISS, and their children were
George, Fred Harry, Henry, Mabel, Anna M. and Daisy. He served in Co. G,
9th Vt. Vols., and was pronounced the best soldier in his brigade by General
DEVENS, at headquarters of 3d division 24th Army Corps, January 27, 1865.
He was honorably discharged at the close of the war.
Benjamin MARTIN, a native of Bradford, came to Corinth, where he
remained until his death, aged seventy-three years. He married Mary HARRIMAN,
of New York, and their children were Stephen, Mary, Abner, Albert, Benjamin,
Emily and George. The latter first located in Bradford, where he remained
two years, when he removed to Topsham, where he died March 8, 1873, aged
fifty years. He married Alice K., daughter of Hezekiah and Prudence (SAWYER)
FELCH, of Topsham, and their children are George H. and Hezekiah B., both
of whom reside on road 7, where they have lived three years. Mrs. MARTIN
survives her husband, and is sixty-four years of age.
Thomas MINARD, who served in the War of 1812, came from Massachusetts
to Strafford, Vt., about 1798, and later to Chelsea, where he died in 1850,
aged fifty-five years. He married Lydia HOPKINS and their children were
Amos, Daniel and Thomas. The latter married Sarah P. BLAKE, of Strafford,
by whom he has had children as follows: Lydia, Sarah P., Elijah B., Amos
M., Augusta M., Thomas H., Selden H., Josiah G., Almira H. and Henry W.
The latter married Patience A. FROST, of Groton, Caledonia county, and
their children are Francis H., Orange M., Josie M. and Nellie M. He has
resided on a farm on road 7, in Corinth, for thirteen years.
Isaiah DAY, a native of Warren, N. H., came to Corinth in 1846 and
settled on a farm on road 6, where Shalor DAY now lives, and there remained
until his death in 1861, aged forty-one years. He married Mary A. ROWLAND,
of Corinth, daughter of Shalor and Catharine (TAPLIN) ROWLAND, and their
children were Catharine R. and Shalor R. The latter married Augusta A.
CRAGGY, daughter of William and Sally P. (CARTER) CRAGGY, and they have
had two children, Sabin S., deceased, and Rowland W., and reside on a farm
on road 6, in this town.
William FAREWELL, a resident of Topsham many years, moved to Albany,
Vt., where he died. His wife was Mary WILES, of Topsham, and their children
were Mary, Benjamin, Jacob, Alvira, William, Stillman, Monroe and Asa.
The latter married, first, Charlotte BIGGALOW, of this town, and their
children were Monroe J., who was killed in the battle of the Wilderness,
Jason C., who was shot at Fort Hudson, Hattie M., Stillman and Joshua B.
After the death of his first wife he married Hannah WHEELER, of Cabot,
Vt., and their children were Cora B., Peter J., Sherman, Philip S., Elsie
and Benjamin. Joshua B. Farewell married Hannah E. J. CHESLEY, daughter
of Benjamin B. and Mary E. (BURROUGHS) CHESLEY, of this town, and their
children are Charley L. and Minnie O. He resides in this town on road 20.
He served in Co. B, 3d. Vt. Vols., participating in the battle of Williamsburg,
and receives a pension from-the government.
James RICHARDSON, a native of New Hampshire, was one of the early
settlers of Orange, where he remained many years, finally locating in this
town, where he died in 1847, aged about eighty years; He was twice married,
first to Abigail MARTIN, and second to Mrs. Mary JOHNSON. His children
were Nathaniel and Robert, who served in the battle of Plattsburgh, Day,
Daniel, William, Betsey, Jerusha, George, Samuel, Henry, James, Abbie and
Julia. Samuel, who was a son of his first wife, married, first, Lovisa
DUNBAR, of Orange, who bore him children as follows: Harriet, Harrison
W., Martha, MILLER, Eliza and Julia. His second wife was Almira KIMBALL,
of Topsham, and their children were Mary E. and Loren K. The latter married
Emma S., daughter of John B. and Caroline (TAPLIN) LOCKE, and their children
were Byron, Mary E. and Wade H., deceased, and Fred R., who resides on
the homestead farm on road 20, where he has lived since his birth.
James M. RICHARDSON was born in Orange, Vt., and at the age of five
years came to this town with his father. He married, first, Kate MILES,
of Topsham, and their children were T. Franklin, Justin M., George B. and
Eugene. By his second wife, Mrs. Nancy N. WEBSTER, of Barre, daughter of
Zenas and Susan (NUTTING) CARPENTER, he has had two children, George A.
and Willie H. He resides on a farm on road 4, in this town.
Jesse CARPENTER was a native of Rehoboth, Mass., where he resided
many years, finally removing to this town, where he died, aged about seventy-five
years. He was twice married, and his children were Zenas, Horace, Dr. Alvah,
Converse, Abram, Jesse, Clarissa, Abigail and Calvin. The latter came to
this town with his father and settled an a farm on road 5, about the year
1800, where he remained until his death, March 14, 1885, aged eighty-six
years. He married Betsey REYNOLDS, of Cambridge, Vt., and their children
were Oren D., Calvin, Jr., Fanny E., Cordelia A., Mary A. and Edwin S.
The latter married Annie R., daughter of David and Abigail (HADLEY) BONNER,
of Manchester, N. H., and they have had three children, Annie B. and Mary
A., deceased, and Ray B. Mr. CARPENTER is of the third generation, to occupy
the homestead farm settled by his grandfather. He discovered the copper
mines in the northern part of this town, and was formerly engaged in the
gold mines of California with Col. J. C. FREMONT.
John ROBIE, a native of England, came from England about 1725 and
located in Chester, N. H., where he engaged in tanning. He was a justice
of the peace and town clerk for more than twenty years, and remained in
Chester until his death. He was twice married. His son John, Jr., settled
in Candia, N. H., where he died May 6, 1825, aged eighty years. John, Jr.,
married Mahetable HALL, of Chester, N. H., who died July 15, 1832, aged
eighty-three years. His children were Nancy, William, Mahetable, Sarah,
Priscilla, John, Ichabod, Naomi, Ebenezer and Jonathan. The latter was
twice married. By his first wife, Eleanor M. WILSON, of Chester, N. H.,
he had children as follows: Robert W., Sarah J., Susan T., Gardner F.,
Jennette G., Mary A., Ruth D., Polly F., Abigail M., John W. and Lyman
M. His second wife was Mrs. Mary L. HARRIS, of Corinth, daughter of Dea.
Samuel and Polly (LEAVETTE) GLINES, and he resides in this town at the
advanced age of ninety-three years, the oldest man in the town. Mrs. Mary
L. ROBIE had four children by her first husband, Horatio W. HARRIS, a Freewill
Baptist. clergyman, who died March 10, 1865, aged fifty-six years. They
were Aaron B., Mary L., Martha N. and Marcella. John W. ROBIE married Grace
B., daughter of Charles and Lydia (WRIGHT) CHILDS, of West Fairlee, and
their children are Lydia C. and Charles C. He has occupied the farm where
he now lives for fifteen years.
Caleb MUNSON was long a resident of Litchfield, Conn., whence he
moved to Canada, where he died. He married Mary LEE, of the family of General
LEE, of Revolutionary fame, and their children were John, Seth, Jesse,
Caleb, Ammi and Reuben. The latter, who served in the War of 1812, was
a resident of South Duxbury for a number of years, and finally removed
to Morrisville, Lamoille county, where he died in 1871, aged over eighty-nine
years. He married Mary MILLER, of Marlow, N. H., with whom he lived sixty-four
years, their death occurring only fifteen minutes apart. His children were
Almira, Elizabeth, Bethewell M. and Reuben L. The latter married May C.,
daughter of John and Elizabeth (HEATH) MAGOON, and has resided on road
48 in this town for eleven years. He served in Co. K, 2d Vt. Vols., as
a musician, during the late war, and was honorably discharged. His daughter
Helen P. P. married Paul ____, of Hyde Park, N. Y., who is a wholesale
dealer in foreign fruits, in Beaver street, New York city.
Joseph RAYMOND, who served as lieutenant in the War of 1812, came
from Newbury to this town, where he died. He married Dorothy JOHNSON and
their son Simon, who was born in Newbury, located in this town on a farm
on road 49, where he remained until his death, in 1876, aged sixty-eight
years. He married Mary EASTMAN, of Corinth, daughter of Jesse and Polly
(SWIFT) EASTMAN, and their son George H. resides on the homestead farm
with his widowed mother, who survives her husband at the age of sixty-four
George SLEEPER was a resident of this town where he died at the
age of ninety-one years. His children were Thomas, Rowe and Charles. The
latter, who resided in this town, married Emeline LOW, of Bradford, daughter
of Ira and Jane (WELCH) LOW, and they have one son, George I., who is a
farmer with his father on road 3 1/2, where the latter has resided for
Joseph KNIGHT, son of Joseph, was a native of this town, and married
Mary, daughter of Jonathan and Olive (TOWLE) ROBIE, of Corinth, and located
on a farm on road 18, where he died, aged seventy years. Their children
were Hale, Lydia, Daniel, Mary, Joseph, John and Joshua N. The latter married
Emily, daughter of Aristarcus and Sophronia (SAWYER) TAPLIN, and their
children are Annie M. and Frank E. He has resided in Corinth Center for
Jonathan TENNEY, of English descent, first settled in Salem, N.
H., and afterwards in Corinth, where he died. His children were Asa, Jonathan,
Eliphalt and Joshua. The latter was the first doctor in this town, and
remained here until his death, in 1844, aged eighty years. He married Susan
ALLEN, daughter of Captain David ALLEN, who served in the battle of Bunker
Hill, and their children were Amos C., Hilas, Erdix, Ruth A., Viva, Corban
and John A. The latter married, first, Mary, daughter of Capt. Henry and
Jennie (MCKEENE) DOE, and second, Lydia, sister of his first wife, by whom
he has one daughter, Mary, and resides in this town on road 49. John A.
TENNEY has been justice of the peace twenty years, town clerk twelve years,
served as side judge of Orange county three years, as register of probate
three years, as judge of probate for Bradford district eight years, and
represented the town in the state legislature in 1848-49.
Jonathan WINCHESTER was long a resident of Westmoreland, N. H.,
where he died, aged over eighty years. His children were Daniel, a Christian
clergyman, Elhanan, Jonathan and Salmon. The latter, who was a Methodist
clergyman, came to Corinth and preached on the Vershire circuit, dying
in Strafford in March, 1821, aged thirty-six years. He married Lucinda
W. HANCOCK, of Westmoreland, and their children were Salmon, Horatio, Lucinda,
Joseph F., John L. and Greenleaf M. The latter, who was born in Westmoreland,
came to Corinth about 1820. He married, first, Sarah T. PRATT, and second,
Mrs. Jane E. YOUNG, and has been a resident of this town about sixty-five
years. He has been selectman ten years, represented the town in 1863-64,
and has held many other offices of trust.
Dr. Richard ESTUSS, son of Henry, who was a physician, was a native
of Cornish, England, from which town he removed to America at the age of
forty-two years, and located in Craftsbury. At the age of fifty-one years
he was murdered for his money, his horse returning home, but his body was
never found. He married Betsey GAY, of Rhode Island, and their children
were Lurena, Melinda, Benjamin, Richard, James, Louie, William, Rebecca,
Isaac and Sarah. The latter married, first, Horace DALOPH, who died in
1877, aged seventy-eight years, and by whom she had children as follows;
Elizabeth, Permelia, Marcia, Salem, Horace, Charley, Eddie, Albert, Willie
and George. By her second husband, John BENNETT, she had two children,
Henry and John, and she survives her husband at the age of forty-nine years.
Jonathan KENNEY, son of Joseph and Jemima (LAMB) KENNEY, was born
in Preston, Conn., and died in Berlin, Vt., in May, 1838, aged seventy-six
years. He married, first, Lydia KENDRICK, and their children were Wealthy,
David, Jonathan, Lucy, George, Amory, Abigail H. and Justus. The latter
was born in Plainfield, Vt., where he died in 1883, aged eighty-four years.
He married Lois TAFT, of Barre, with whom he lived fifty-nine years. Their
children were Charles H., George F., Francis L., Abigail E., Harriet T.
and Amory E. The latter married, first, Carra L., daughter of Amherst and
Experience (REED) PERKINS, by whom he had three children -- Ida E., Homer
L. and Frank E. His second wife was Hester Ann, daughter of Daniel and
Clarissa G. (NOYES) NUTT, of Lyndon. Amory E. KENNEY has held the office
of justice of the peace two years, has been notary public thirty-two years,
was side judge in 1872-73, and county commissioner in 1873. He resides
on a. farm on road 32, in this town, where he has made his home for ten
Jeremiah DIMCEY was a native of London, Eng. His son John married
Mary HART, by whom he had one son, Jeremiah, who came to America in, 1853
and located in this town. He married Juliette C., daughter of Albert and
Eleanor (BOWEN) COOKE, and resides on a farm on road 56, where he has lived
Asa DAY was a native of Cornish, Me., where he died. His children
were Noah, Jeremiah, Daniel, Joseph, Dolly, Louisa and Ezekiel. The latter
was born in Cornish, Me., and served in the War of 1812. He resided in
Warren, N. H., and also in Haverhill, dying in the latter place, aged eighty-four
years. He married Rebecca BODGE, of Parsonfield, Me., and their children
were Joseph, Isaiah, Betsey, Ezekiel, Daniel, Ruth, Lydia, Mary, Benjamin
F. and Jeremiah. The latter married Almira TERRY and their children were
Harvey (deceased), jasper, Sarah, Harvey E., Isabella, Clarence, Albert,
Mabelle and Leston. He has recently removed to Vershire, this county.
Robert W. ROBIE, son of Jonathan, married Elizabeth, daughter of
Richard and Dollie (ROWE) ROBIE, and their children are Cornelia M., and
Allen and Alvin, twins. Mr. ROBIE died July 19, 1863, and his widow survives
him at the age of sixty-two years, and has resided on the farm where she
now lives forty-one years. Her mother is still alive at the age of eighty-three
Cornelia M. ROBIE married Cyrus H. PARKER, and resides in this town
on road 57. Cyrus H. PARKER served in Co. G, 9th Vt. Vols., three years,
and was honorably discharged. Allen ROBIE married Jennie B. MORRISON, of
Hyde Park, Mass., by whom he has one daughter, Jennie B., and resides in
James THOMPSON, a native of Walpole, N. H., came to Corinth and
settled on road 66, where he died at the age of ninety years. He married,
first, Polly PAUL, and second, Sophia CURRIER, and his children were Ira,
Moody, James, Louisa, Mary A., Marcia, Hiram, Sylvester, Hial, Horace and
Philander. Moody THOMPSON was born in Walpole, N. H., and came to Corinth
at the age of twenty-five years. He married, first, Sarah ROWELL, of Springfield,
N. H., and their children were Sylvia, Eunice, Hepsia and James H., and
second, Mrs. Harriet TEMPLETON, of Barre, daughter of John and Rebecca
(BOUTWELL) GALE. James H. served in the 8th Vt. Vols., and was killed at
Port Hudson, June 14, 1864. Mr. THOMPSON resides in this town on road 48.
John OVITT, who served in the War of 1812, died in Fairfield, Vt.,
in 1850, aged about eighty years. He married Clara REED, and their children
were Dennis, Cary, Goodsell, Hamilton, Alonzo, Mariah, Lois, Dianna, Louisa,
Emeline, Orissa, Ruth, Rhoda and J. Calvin. The latter was born in Fairfield,
Vt., and came to this town in 1848, locating on road 36. Later he removed
to Chelsea, where he died, aged sixty-eight years. He married Theodocia
WILLIS, of Orange, daughter of Melletiah and Martha (SEAVER) WILLIS, and
their children were Lucinda L., Martha J., Delia, Sophia, Aaron C. and
Alonzo W. The latter married Lucy S., daughter of Corbin and Sally (SMITH)
TENNEY, of Corinth, and resides in this town on road 67, where his mother
also resides, aged eighty-four years. He is proprietor of Ovitt's California
cough syrup, which has been in use fifteen years.
Michael COMSTOCK, who served in the Revolutionary war, was a native
of Vershire, where he died. His children were Orange, Lucy, Willard and
Michael. The latter resided in Strafford and Vershire, dying in Vershire
at the age of eighty-two years. He married Betsey BACON, of Strafford,
and his children were Royal, Harvey, Harrison, Angeline, Ann Julia and
Jackson R. The latter married Eunice, daughter of Luther and Harriet (YOUNG)
ALDRICH, and they have one adopted daughter, Rosie. Mr. COMSTOCK resides
in this town on a farm on road 57, where he has lived sixteen years. Daniel
T. ALDRICH served in Co. B, 4th Vt. Vols., in the late war, and died in
the army. Joseph Young, grandfather of Mrs. Jackson R. COMSTOCK, served
in the War of 1812.
Elijah ROWELL, a native of Hampstead, N. H., located in Bradford,
where he died, aged seventy-five years. He married Sarah WHITAKER, of Weare,
N. H., and their children were Elijah, Ralph, Ransom, Phebe, Esther, Fanny
and Rufus. The latter was born in Bradford, where he now resides. He married
Betsey, daughter of Sherborn PRESCOTT, of Vershire, and their children
were William, Orange, Byron, Nelson, Lydia A. and Adolphus PRESCOTT. Adolphus
Prescott ROWELL married Ann E., daughter of Hiram and Mary (HEATH) THURBER,
of this town, and their children are Benton R., Ada M., Almond N., Augusta
F. and Bertha M. Mr. ROWELL has resided on a farm on road 44, in this town,
for twenty-six years. His son Almond N. married Hattie E., daughter of
John A. and Susanna (WALKER) NORRIS, of this town, and they have one son,
William ARMSTRONG removed from Fairlee to Bradford, where he died,
February 9, 1855, aged sixty-five years. He married Margaret SCOTT and
their children were John A., Scott, Julia A., Elizabeth,- George W., Mary
E. and James. The latter married Mary J., daughter of John and Hannah (WORTHLEY)
SANBORN, and their children are Flora, Lizzie A., Mary B., Julia E. and
Abbie W. He served as selectman five years, dying December 1, 1884, aged
fifty-five years. His widow, who survives him at the age of forty-eight
years, resides on the home farm on road 14, in this town.
Burgess METCALF was born in Piermont, N. H., in 1772, where he died
in 1831. He married, first, Elizabeth WAIT, and their children were John
W., Louisa, Charles B., Sarah, Cynthia, Mary and Elizabeth; and second,
Rachel TAPLIN, by whom he had one daughter, Louisa, 2d. His son John W.
married, first, Jane S. BARKER, by whom he had one son, John H., and second,
Mrs. Jerusha SHAW, by whom his children were Harriet A., Charles T., Burgess
C., Select J. and Solomon H. Mr. METCALF died at Piermont, aged fifty-four
years. His son Dea. John H. came to Corinth in 1868, where he married Hannah,
daughter of Isaac TAPLIN, who bore him children as follows: William T.,
Susan J. and Charles H. He married for his second wife Ellen A., daughter
of Jacob and Nancy (CILLEY) TAPLIN, of Topsham, and has resided eighteen
years on a farm on road 36, in Corinth.
Enos PORTER was the first white male child born in Vershire, February
6, 1789, near the center of the town. He passed his entire life in Vershire
and Corinth, as a farmer, dying in the latter town in 1880. He was one
of the Plattsburgh volunteers. His wife, Electa MATSON, who was born in
Vershire, bore him six children, four of whom lived to maturity. One son,
Lyman, a CARPENTER and firmer, has been actively interested in town affairs.
He has served as selectman and justice of the peace, and held the office
of lister -twelve years. He has also settled a number of estates in this
town. He married Harriet N. HILDRETH, of Chelsea, and of seven children,
John L., of Boston, is the only one living.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF CORINTH
The Methodist Episcopal church of Corinth, located at Corinth Corners,
was organized through the efforts of John LANGDON, the first local preacher
east of the Green mountains, in 1798, and was probably the first Methodist
Episcopal church in Orange county. The first house of worship was built
just over the line in the town of Vershire. The present building, a wooden
structure, was built in 1842, at Corinth Corners, will comfortably seat
150 persons, and is valued at about $1,500. The first pastor was Nicholas
SNETHINS, who was induced to come up from Wilbraham, Mass., by John LANGDON,
who lived on the Moses SPEAR farm, in Vershire, and in whose house the
-first sermon was preached about 1796. The present number of members is
-fifty-nine, under the pastoral charge of Rev. W. R. PUFFER, of Chelsea.
The First Free Baptist church of Corinth, located at West Corinth,
was organized by Elder BALLARD, of Unity, N. H., in 1798, and consisted
of twenty members, with Rev. Daniel BACHELDER, first pastor, who was ordained
May 20, 1799. This is the oldest Free Baptist church in this region, and
is the "mother church" of Corinth quarterly meeting, which includes the
churches of -this denomination in Corinth, Orange, Washington, Topsham
and Williamstown. The first house of worship was erected in 1816, and was
superseded by the present wooden edifice in 1852, at a cost of $1,700,
besides a bell which cost $300. The building will comfortably accommodate
300 persons, and is valued, including grounds, at $1,200. The society has
about thirty-two members, with Rev. H. F. DICKEY, pastor.
The Union church, at East Corinth, was organized in 1840 by about
twenty-five members. Their house of worship was erected in 1840 at a cost
of $2,000, and is now valued, including grounds, at $2,500, and will comfortably
seat 400 persons. The society has no regular pastor, and the building is
now used by the Congregationalists.
The Second Freewill Baptist church, located at South Meadow, in
the southeast part of the town, was organized in 183o by its eighteen original
members, with Rev. Nathaniel BOLLES as first pastor. Their church building,
erected in 1838, of wood, at a cost of $2,000, will comfortably seat 300
persons, and is valued, including other church property, at $3,000. The
society now has eighty members, with Rev. M. C. HENDERSON, pastor. The
Sunday-school has a membership of seventy, with Dea. C. SLACK, superintendent.
Of Orange County, Vt. 1762-1888.
And Published by Hamilton Child,
Journal Company, Printers and Binders.
N. Y., 1888.
by Karima Allison ~ 2004