OF ORANGE COUNTY, VT.
OF THE TOWN OF
NEWBURY, the largest town in Orange county, is situated in the northwest
corner of the county, in latitude 44° 6' and longitude 4° 52',
and is bounded north by Ryegate, in Caledonia county, east by the west
bank of Connecticut river, south by Bradford and a part of Corinth, and
west by Topsham. It was first granted by Governor Benning Wentworth to
Gen, Jacob BAILEY (or BAYLEY) and seventy-four others, in eighty-one equal
shares, March 18, 1763. The boundaries described in the charter are as
About the same time that Gen. Jacob BAILEY obtained for himself
and others the charter of Newbury, John HAZEN obtained a corresponding
charter for Haverhill; and in June of that year, 1763, the proprietors
of Newbury and Haverhill had a meeting, with the view to the survey and
allotment of shares, of the respective townships, and employed Caleb WILLARD
as chief surveyor, and Benjamin WHITING as his assistant. WILLARD began
his survey from the northeast boundary of Newbury, as made by his predecessor,
Joseph BLANCHARD, in March, 1760, and proceeded down the river to BLANCHARD's
next boundary, which he found to be over seven miles distant; but without
stopping there he continued directly on, one mile and seventeen chains
further, into the unchartered tract, where he made a new southeast corner
of Newbury. WILLARD having set that bound went directly across the river
and performed the same service for Haverhill. His assistant, WHITING, pursuing
the survey of Newbury, ran north fifty-nine degrees west from the. new
boundary eight miles, thus making the large addition of one and three-fourths
miles on the west, giving the proprietors 40,000 acres, when entitled by
the charter to but 27,000. Newbury now has 38,000 acres, appraised, including
buildings, at $862.992, with a personal property appraisal of $795.768,
and 515 taxable polls.
at a tree marked standing on the bank of the westerly side of Connecticut
river opposite the mouth of Amonoosock river, so-called, from thence southerly
or southwesterly down Connecticut river as that runs, till it comes to
a tree there standing, marked with the figures 10 and 11, and is about
seven miles on a strait line below the mouth of Amonoosuck, aforesaid.
From thence running north fifty-nine degrees west, six miles and one quarter
of a mile to a stake and stones; from thence N. 20° E. six miles and
one-half mile to a stake and stones; from thence to the marked tree on
the side of the river, the bound first mentioned."
The rocks entering into the geological structure of the town are
of calcif erous mica schist in the western part, clay slate in the eastern-central
part, and in the eastern part, bordering on the Connecticut river, is talcose
schist. The surface of this town is hilly, the ranges of hills extending
northerly and southerly, parallel with the Connecticut river, and rising
terrace-like from the river to the summit of Wright's mountain, about 1,700
feet, and about 2,100 feet above tide-water. The climate is rigorous and
severe in winter, the temperature sometimes reaching as low as 50°,
and in the extreme heat of summer up to 100°. The forest trees are
principally maple, birch, beech, elm, pine, hemlock and spruce. The town
is well watered, the numerous brooklets and springs affording an abundant
supply to nearly every farm. The more pretentious streams are, first, the
"Beautiful Connecticut," extending along its entire eastern boundary, Wells
river in the northern part, Hall's: brook in the southern, and Peach brook
flowing through the central portion. Hall's, Harriman's, Long and Round
ponds are also located in this town.
From many of the elevated places in the town the views are grandly
picturesque, looking eastward; but from the summit of the highland known
as Wright's mountain the beautiful and sublime scenery can hardly be surpassed.
The position is in the center of a vast amphitheater bounded and encircled
by the Green mountains sweeping around from the east to the west, and the
mountains of New Hampshire from west to east, with the towering peaks of
Mt. Washington, Moosilauke, the Twins, and Ascutney, Mansfield: and Camel's-Hump
clearly outlined in the distance. The beauties of the place, the bracing
and pure air, fine roads and genial inhabitants, make this a favorite resort
for denizens of the cities during the heated period of our short but hot
There was no settlement by the white people in the valley of the
Connecticut above Charlestown, in N. H., (then called "No. 4,") until 1762,
nor was there but three towns settled south of Charlestown in the valley.
Hinsdale, or "Fort Dummer," was settled in 1683; Westmoreland, or “No.
2, in 1741; and Walpole in 1752. At Hinsdale and Charlestown forts were
built and soldiers were stationed for the double purpose of affording protection
to settlers and arresting the progress of the Indians from Canada, while
meditating incursions upon the frontier of Massachusetts.
In 1752 the governor of New Hampshire. made surveys of several townships
on both sides of the Connecticut river, and formed a plan to take possession
of the “Rich Meadows of Cohos." The design was to cut a road from “No.
4" to the Cohos, and to lay out two townships on each side of the river,
and opposite each other, where Haverhill and Newbury now are. To induce
people to emigrate to this new plantation they were to erect stockades,
with lodgments for two hundred men in each township, and enclosing fifteen
acres, in the center of which was to be a citadel containing the public
buildings and granaries, which were to be large enough to receive all the
inhabitants with their effects, in case of danger.
In pursuance of this plan a party was sent up in the spring of 1752,
to explore the meadows of Cohos and lay out the proposed townships. But
the whole plan was defeated by the timely remonstrance of the St. Francis
tribe of Indians.
In the spring of 1752, John STARK (later Gen. STARK), Amos EASTMAN.
David STINSON and William STARK were hunting in the town of Rumney, on
Baker's river, and were surprised by a party of ten Indians. John STARK
and Amos EASTMAN were taken prisoners, STINSON was killed, and William
STARK escaped by flight. John STARK and EASTMAN were carried into captivity
to the headquarters of the St. Francis tribe in Canada, and were led directly
through the " Meadows" so much talked of in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
These men returned from captivity during the ensuing summer, and gave an
interesting account of Cohos, and as the country was expecting the war
with the French and Indians would soon be renewed, and that the French
would desire the Cohos country for a military post, the general court of
New Hampshire determined to send a company to explore the region. Accordingly,
in the spring of 1754, Col. LOVEWELL, Maj. TOLFORD and Capt. PAGE were
sent out with instructions to pursue the track of the Indians as they came
from the great valley to Baker's river and the Pemigewasset, and returned
with their prisoners They left Concord, March 10, 1754, with John STARK
for a guide, and in seven days reached Connecticut river, at Piermont.
But they spent but one night in the valley, when they made a precipitate
retreat to Concord. The probable cause of this failure to explore the region
to which they were sent was their fear of an Indian foe superior to their
own force. The government was not discouraged by this failure, and the
same season, 1754, Capt. Peter POWERS, of Hollis, N. H., Lieut. James STEVENS
and Ensign Ephraim HALE, both of Townsend, Mass., were appointed to march
at the head of a company to effect what had hitherto been attempted in
vain. Capt. POWERS's journal sets forth each day's march, and shows that
he left Rumford (now Concord), Saturday, June 15, 1754, and also that he
reached what is now Haverhill, in Cohos, on the Connecticut, Tuesday, June
25. He continued his exploration up the Connecticut as far as the mouth
of Israel's river, in Lancaster, N. H., and on Friday night, July 5; we
find them on their return encamped on the west side of the Connecticut,
and a little below Wells River. The last entry in the journal on the homeward
trip was July 6, and is as follows: "Saturday, July 6th. Marched down the
great river to Great Coos, and crossed the river below the great turn of
clear interval, and there left the great river, and steered south by east
about three miles, and there camped. Here was the best of upland, and some
quantity of large white pines." No further attempt to explore or settle
this valley was made until 1761, when Col. Jacob BAILEY, of Newbury, Mass.,
and Capt. John HAZEN, of Haverhill, Mass., were the principal agents in
the :first settlement of Newbury and Haverhill in the Coos country. They
both had been officers in the old French war and both stood high in the
estimation of the government. It is supposed that they were encouraged
to expect each a charter of a township in the Coos country if they commenced
a settlement therein. They agreed to act in conjunction, and proceed harmoniously
in the undertaking. Capt. HAZEN was to go on first and take possession
on the east side of the river, and Col. BAILEY was to take possession of
the west side, as soon as he could find suitable persons to do it, and
come on himself as soon as his affairs at home would permit.
Capt. HAZEN sent on two men with his cattle in the summer of 1761,
Michael JOHNSTON and John PATTIE. They took possession of the Little Ox
Bow on' the east side of the river. . They found this and the Great Ox
Bow on the west side of the river "cleared interval," as Capt. POWERS had
described it in his journal. This had in former years been cultivated by
the Indians in growing corn. The hills were turfed over and a tall wild
grass grew luxuriantly, and afforded an abundance of hay for the cattle,
and was easily procured. At this time the Indians dwelt on these meadows,
and were amicable and friendly. They had lost their strong ally, the French,
at the close of the war in 1759, which, if unpleasant, was less repugnant
to their ideas to have an English colony take possession of these meadows
than it was in 1752 when they threatened war if the country was explored
for the purpose of a settlement. It was a fine country, with a rich soil,
easily cultivated, and well suited to their primitive means of husbandry.
The river abounded with salmon, the adjacent streams swarmed with
trout, and the forests were plentifully stocked with game-moose, deer,
bears and wild fowls. It was a half-way station and resting-place between
the Atlantic and Canada, and, what was still dearer to the Indians, it
was the burial-grounds of their honored chiefs and braves. It is strange
indeed that they quietly submitted to the usurpation, and allowed their
pale faced brethren to possess their heritage in peace.
There are indisputable evidences that this section of country was
the permanent abode of the Indians, and three is no spot in all New England
that could have afforded greater inducements.
The late David JOHNSON, who resided his life time on the place of
which he wrote, said: On the high ground, east of the mouth of Cow Meadow
brook, and south of the three large projecting rocks, were found many indications
of an old and extensive Indian settlement. There were many domestic implements.
Among the rest was a stone mortar and pestle. Heads of arrows, large quantities
of ashes, and the ground burnt over to a great extent, were some of the
marks of a long residence here. The burnt ground and ashes were visible
the last time it was ploughed. On the meadow, forty or fifty rods below,
near the rocks in the river, was evidently a burying-ground. The remains
of many of the sons of the forest are there deposited. Bones have frequently
been turned up by the plough. That they were buried in the sitting posture,
peculiar to the Indians, has been ascertained. When the first settlers
came here, the remains of a fort were still visible on the Ox Bow. The
size of the fort was plain to be seen. Trees about as large as a man's
thigh were growing in the circumference of the old fort. A profusion of
white flint stones and arrow heads may yet be seen scattered over the ground.
It is a tradition that I have frequently heard repeated, that after the
fight with LOVEWELL, the Indians said they should now be obliged to leave
Among the Indian families who returned to Coos after the old French
war were two of special distinction-John and Joe, or Captain John and Captain
Joe, as they preferred to be called. John belonged to the St. Francois
tribe and had been a noted chief. He was fierce, barbarous, and cruel,
and the terror of the boys as long as he lived. He was at the battle when
Braddeck was defeated, and related how he shot a British officer who had
knocked him down, and tried to shoot young Washington, but could not. He
had used the tomahawk and scalping knife upon the defenseless inhabitants
of Massachusetts and New Hampshire. He was present at Boscawen when, that
place was surprised, and he related with fiendish satisfaction that he
struck an old woman on her head who was unable to travel as fast as they
wished to retreat, and that she made a noise like a calf when wounded on
the head. He also related that at the assault on the inhabitants near Fort
Dummer that he mutilated a woman by cutting off her breasts, and he would
imitate her shrieks and cries of distress. John had two sons-Pi-al and
Pial-Soosup, both very different from their father, being mild and inoffensive.
Captain Joe was a young man when he came to Newbury. He had belonged
to a tribe in Nova Scotia which had been scattered when he was young. He,
with the remnant of his tribe, joined the St. Francois tribe and grew up
with them. Joe was amiable and never sought a quarrel, and boasted that
he never "pointed the gun," meaning at his fellowman. Joe's wife Molly
had two sons by a former husband when they came here. Their history is
that Molly eloped with Joe, who was a great favorite with the dusky daughters
of the St. Francois tribe. Her sons' names were Toomalek and Muxa-Wuxal.
Muxa-Wuxal died, causing Joe and Molly the ordinary grief for the loss
of a son, but it was otherwise with Toomalek. He was low in stature, lacking
two inches of five feet, but broad shouldered and very muscular. His stiff,
coarse hair grew within an inch of his eyes. He was cruel, revengeful and
a murderer. At maturity he became enamored by a young squaw named Lewa;
but another Indian named Mitchell was his successful rival and married
Lewa. He determined on murdering Mitchell and taking the fair Lewa to himself.
It was not long while watching with gun in hand before he discovered the
young pair seated by a fire, side by side, at the upper end of the Ox Bow,
in Newbury, happy in each other's society, and unconscious of impending
danger. Toomalek took aim at Mitchell, discharged his gun, but poor Lewa
received the ball in her breast and expired that evening. Mitchell was
also wounded, but soon after recovered. Toomalek was tried for his crime
by his Indian peers, Capt. John presiding, and was acquitted on the ground
that he did not intend to kill Lewa, and, as Mitchell would recover, he
was no murderer. Old John's influence alone saved him. But Toomalek still
cherished a rancorous hatred for Mitchell who had taken another wife as
attractive as Lewa. Toomalek took a bottle of rum and with a white man,
Ebenezer OLMSTEAD, went to the wigwam of Mitchell and commenced, beating
the company. OLMSTEAD observed that Toomalek drank but little, while Mitchell
imbibed freely. Mitchell; excited by the rum, upbraided; Toomalek for killing
his wife and wounding him. Being tantalized and frenzied by his foe, Mitchell
drew his knife and made a feeble pass at him. Whereupon Toomalek drew his,
and gave him his death wound at once.
For this offense Toomalek had his trial and was again acquitted
by old John, on the ground that Mitchell made the first assault, and Toomalek's
plea, of self defence. But Old John, who delighted in blood, and was instrumental
in saving the life of Toomalek, brought upon himself a fearful calamity,
but perhaps a just retribution, no less then the death of his son Pial.
Toomalek, Pial and several others were over on Haverhill side, were turbulent
and noisy, and showed plainly that they had been drinking. They called
at the house of Charles WHEELER and asked for more fire-water, but got
none. On their return they met a young squaw from Newbury, who rallied
Pial on some past acts of gallantry, who returned her joke for joke. Perhaps
Pial bantered her too near the truth. At all events the dusky beauty took
the matter seriously. She called Toomalek to her side and after a brief
conversation passed on. Toomalek then stepped back and walked beside Pial,
and in a few minutes he drew his long knife, and, with a back-handed blow,
plunged it into Pial's throat. The knife entered above the sternum and
descending penetrated the lungs. Pial ran a few rods, with the blood gushing
from the wound, and fell lifeless to the ground. His companions at once
informed their white neighbors of this murder, and Toomalek was taken,
without resistance or an attempt to escape, and was carried into Newbury
for his trial next day. When the news of the murder of Pial came to Old
John he was almost frantic with grief, and his conscience awoke to duty.
The next day a court was called which tried Toomalek, which gave a unanimous
verdict that Toomalek must be shot. By Indian law, Old John must be the
executioner, as he was nearest by blood to the slain, and he must avenge
the blood of his son. The ground floor of the old court-house was designated
as the place of execution, and Toomalek came to the place himself, without
guard or attendance, where Old John stood with his loaded musket. He seated
himself on the floor, said his Catholic prayers, covered his eyes and said
"Mack hence," that is "Kill me quick?" And it was done in an instant. Joe
and Molly were both present at the execution, and as soon as it was over
Joe took one arm and Molly the other, and they dragged the body from the
house and buried it. Molly had mourned bitterly for the death of Muxa-Wuxal,
which happened the same season; but she shed not a tear over the grave
of Toomalek, nor was she ever heard to speak his name afterward. Old John
was afterward found dead by the side of a log at the foot of the hill near
the garden of William JOHNSON.
Capt. Joe was the avowed enemy of the British who had broken up
and dispersed his tribe in Nova Scotia, for which he now forgave the "red
coats," and did all in his power to aid the Colonies during the Revolutionary
struggle, and rejoiced at the reverses and final downfall of his and their
enemies. He and Molly paid Gen. Washington a visit at his headquarters
on North river, and were entertained with marked distinction. To the last
he boasted that he shook hands with Gen. Washington. So great was his hatred
of the king of England that nothing could induce him to again put his foot
on British soil. In one of his hunting excursions he had followed a moose
two days with fair expectations of taking him, and when he found the moose
had crossed the line into Canada, he stopped short, and said "Good bye,
Mr. Moose !" and returned to his camp. One season he and. Molly built them
a wigwam in Derby, and while he was absent from it hunting, the St. Francois
Indians, who had heard of his encampment, came and stole Molly away, hoping
that he would follow, but he would not. Joe and Molly have each a pond
called after them, in Cabot. Joe survived Molly many years. When he became
old and infirm the legislature granted him an annuity, which was increased
from time to time to. $70 annually. He spent the last years of his life
in the family of Mr. Frye BAILEY, in Newbury, where he died February 19,
1819, aged seventy-nine years. He was buried with honors in the cemetery
near the village, where the people with whom he lived, and who cherish
his memory as a patriot and benefactor, are designing soon to erect a suitable
monument to commemorate the sterling virtues of this "Prince of the Red
Men" and the last of his kind in the beautiful Coossuck valley.
In the spring of 1762 the first settler of Newbury, Samuel SLEEPER,
a Quaker preacher, employed by Gen. Jacob BAILEY, came from Hampton, N.
H., and located himself and family a little south of the Kent farm. He
was to hold possession till the General could come on in person. Next came
Thomas CHAMBERLIN, from Dunstable, N. H., and located on Mushquash Meadow,
south of the "Great Ox Bow.;' He was soon succeeded by Richard CHAMBERLIN,
who came from Hinsdale, N. H., and settled on Mushquash Meadow. CHAMBERLIN
landed at the ferry about noon, with his family, and before night he had
erected a cabin of posts and bark that served as a habitation the ensuing
three months. A large stump standing in the center was utilized for a table.
These two CHAMBERLINs were not in the interest of Gen. BAILEY or Capt.
HAZEN, but were sent on by Oliver WILLARD, of Northfield, Mass., who was
trying to supplant BAILEY and HAZEN. But they succeeded and WILLARD failed.
WILLARD's disappointment and anger was so great that he gave out vaunting
threats that if he caught HAZEN out of the settlement, he would flog him
to his heart's content. This hero of the French war was not much disturbed
by this braggadocio. These two men eventually met in Charlestown, and WILLARD,
in attempting to execute his boastful threat, "caught a Tartar," and received
a tremendous whipping. The same year, 1762, John HASELTON, from Hampstead,
moved into Newbury, and first settled at the foot of the hill south of
Johnson village. In 1763 his daughter, Betsey HASELTON, the first white
child of Newbury, was born. The same year Jacob Bailey CHAMBERLIN, son
of Thomas CHAMBERLIN, was born. Being the first male white child born in
Newbury, his parents received one hundred acres of land from Gen. BAILEY.
In 1763 Newbury received its charter, as before noticed. This year
Noah White came with his family and settled in Newbury, and Thomas JOHNSON
located on the Ox Bow, and also Col. Jacob KENT came and located on the
Kent place November 4, 1763.
The first town meeting under the charter was held by the freemen
of Newbury at Plaistow, N. H., June 13, 1763, and not less than one hundred
miles from their township. At this meeting the officers elected were: Mr.
Jesse JOHNSON, town clerk; Caleb JOHNSON, constable; Lieut. Jacob KENT,
Lieut. Benjamin EMERSON and Capt. John HAZEN, selectmen. Before this meeting
adjourned they voted to unite with Haverhill in paying a preacher for two
or three months “this fall or winter."
The settlement of Newbury was greatly increased in 1764, and by
men whose character and influence are still impressed upon the town. Among
the number was Gen. Jacob BAILEY and family, who arrived in October of
that year. The Rev. Peter POWERS also came, and preached to the people.
In the fall of that year (1764) the First Congregational church of Newbury
was organized, composed of members from both sides of the river, at Newbury
and Haverhill. January 24, 1765, the Rev. Mr. POWERS received a call from
this church and society to become its pastor, which call he accepted, and
by vote of the society the installment was to take place “down country
where it is thought best." The council selected for this interesting ceremony
were the Reverends Abner BAILEY, Daniel EMERSON, Joseph EMERSON, Henry
TRUE and Joseph GOODHUE, with their churches, and the place thought best
was Hollis, N. H., where the installation took place February 27, 1765.
Rev. Mr. POWERS preached his own installation sermon. Mr. POWERS's goods
were brought by the people of Newbury and Haverhill upon the ice on the
river the last of February. We give place to the following incident which
took place on this journey. Owing to the lateness of the season the ice
had become weak and brittle in some places, and when the party reached
the mouth of Ompompanoosuc river in Norwich, the sled of Mr. WAY, an eccentric
church member, broke through and came near going down, sled, team, WAY
and all. By the prompt assistance of the company all were extricated from
the impending danger. As soon as WAY found himself secure on the strong
ice, he turned about to survey the swirling and turbulent pool from which
he had just escaped, and turning to his companions exclaimed, "That is
a cussed hole." This in a little time reached the ears of Mr. POWERS, who
at once called on Mr. WAY and said that he had been told that he had been
speaking wickedly. "What is it?" inquired Mr. WAY. "They say that you said,
speaking of the Ompompanoosuc, that it was a “cursed hole.” WAY answered,
“Well, it is a cursed hole, and I can prove it." “Oh, no, you cannot, you
have done wrong and must repent, Mr. WAY." "Why," said WAY, "did not the
Lord curse the earth for man's sin? and do you think that little devilish
Ompompanoosuc was an exception?”
The first meeting-house was built of logs, 28x25 feet, and a little
south of Gen. BAILEY's, which they occupied some years. Then a framed meeting-house
was erected near where the “Old Meeting-House” stood. The location of this
house, for some reason, was not satisfactory, and it was pulled down and
removed to the site west of the burying-ground and converted into a court-house
and jail. In 1790 the "Old Meeting-House” was erected near the site from
which its predecessor had been removed. This was an imposing edifice in
its day, and said to be the first in Vermont furnished with a steeple.
The Passumpsic Railroad Company purchased it on the completion of the railroad,
designing to convert it into a depot, and in attempting to remove it bodily,
it had an ignominious fall in transit at the hill.
As late as the Revolutionary war there were no roads for heavy teams,
and goods that were not brought on the ice of the Connecticut in winter
were obliged to be carried on pack-horses from Concord, N. H. The glass
for Col. Thomas JOHNSON's house was brought in this manner. Col. Robert
JOHNSON opened the first tavern in Newbury, in a house a little south of
where his granddaughter, Mrs. HIBBARD, now lives, and the supplies for
his bar were brought to him in the same way.
NEWBURY is a tidy and pleasant post village and railroad station,
situated on a slightly elevated plateau bordering on the “The Meadows"
of the Connecticut river, and about the middle of the eastern boundary
of the town. This village enjoys the celebrity of being the first settlement
of white people on the Connecticut river north of No. 4, now Charlestown,
and was honored with two sessions of the state legislature (1799 and 1801),
and at an early date was a half shire town. Its Congregational church was
the second church organized in the state, and built the first church edifice
in the state with a steeple. The present village contains an intelligent
population of about 400 or 500 people, four stores, a neat and well kept
hotel, two churches (Congregational and Methodist), the Newbury seminary,
and a quiet summer resort and bathing establishment, "The Montebello Sulphur
and Iron Springs." This property includes the beautiful grove situated
on "Montebello," or "Beautiful Mountain," which, with Mt. Pulaski, situated
on the western border of this attractive village, commands an extensive
range and sublime and picturesque views of the white mountains, and varied,
extensive and beautiful valley and meadow scenery.
WELLS RIVER (p. o.) is located in the extreme northeast corner of
Orange county, and at the confluence of Wells river with Connecticut river,
and it is also the junction of the Passumpsic, the Boston & Lowell,
and the Montpelier & Wells River railroads. This pretty village is
separated from the village of Woodsville, N. H., by the Connecticut river.
It contains a thrifty population of from 500 to 700 inhabitants, a good
graded school, two churches (Congregational and Roman Catholic), the National
bank of Newbury in Wells River, one hotel, Wells River House, eight or
ten stores, including dealers of all kinds, three lawyers, two physicians,
one dentist, and the usual complement of artisans and mechanics. The manufacturers
are DEMING, LEARNED & Co., manilla wrapping paper; R. G. BROCK, furniture;
W. G. FOSS, agricultural implements; J. R. GOWING, flour and meal; A. T.
BALDWIN & Co. and F. & D. W. LEARNED, harnesses. Err CHAMBERLIN
bought of Gov. Benning WENTWORTH 500 acres of land, upon which is now located
the present village of Wells River. Mr. CHAMBERLIN built the first mills.
Not long after this a Mr. WHITE built a paper-mill and published "Webster's
Elementary Spelling Book," which had a very large sale. In 1808 Mr. SHEDD,
the father of William A. SHEDD, located here, and was a very active business
SOUTH NEWBURY, in the southeastern part of the town, is a railroad
station and post village. It has a good water-power, where are a grist-mill,
two saw-mills, a chair factory, a manufactory of bee-keepers' supplies,
a carriage shop, a blacksmith shop, and fifteen or twenty dwellings.
WEST NEWBURY (p. o.) is a small hamlet, and contains a store and
NEWBURY CENTER is a hamlet, with a postoffice and store.
Newbury has twenty-one organized school districts, three of which,
for lack of scholars, have maintained no schools during the two years past.
Eighteen school districts maintain from twenty-four to thirty-six weeks
of school. By an act of the legislature of 1886, school district number
one, located at Wells River, became incorporated, and has now become a
graded school, occupying one of the best school-houses in this section
of the state. Five of of these districts are located on the River road,
those at Jefferson Hill and Boltonville being the largest among the back
districts, and rank well among the most advanced in town. In 1886, 441
scholars attended the common schools, and the various teachers were paid
$3,713.43. Newbury ranks second in Orange county in the amount of cash
expenditures for schools. The average wages of male teachers is $9.19,
and the average female teachers $6.21 per week. The whole number of terms
was fifty-five, and the whole number of weeks of school 540, making an
average of thirty weeks of school for the eighteen districts. Thirty-four
different teachers were employed. The average of taxes raised by districts
was 10.4 per cent, and the state school tax of fifteen cents on the dollar
being added makes an amount equal to one--fourth of the grand list raised
by district taxation for the support of the common schools. To this amount
must be added as follows: Rents from school lands, $80.15; Huntington fund,
$69.84; interest on surplus money, $279.81, or a total of nearly $6,000
for the year. In 1840 the population was 2,579, and the number of school
children 748. In 1880 the population was 2,316, and the number of school
children 500. The average cost per scholar in 1840 was about $1.25, and
the average cost in 1880 about $8. At their annual school meeting the village
district voted to establish a school of two grades, giving the older and
more advanced scholars the benefit of a higher grade-a long stride in the
right direction. Horace W. BAILEY is :superintendent of schools.
Newbury High School was incorporated in November, 1830, as a female
school, and kept in operation several terms, under the care of popular
and successful teachers; but some causes, then well known, tended to discourage
further effort to sustain the school, and it was not re-opened until June,
1843. Then it was again called for and revived, under the care and tutorship
of Miss Abigail WILLIAMS, of Kennebunk, Maine, and continued two terms.
The ensuing winter the school was remodeled, with an extension of corporate
privileges, and the addition of a male department. The course of study
embraced every thing usually taught in New England academies. This school,
as reorganized, opened with a winter term. The catalogue for the fall term
of 1844 gives the names of ninety-five students.
Newbury town poor farm contains 113 acres, and is located in the
valley of Peach brook, near the center of the town. The present substantial,
commodious, and we may say elegant buildings, as fine as any in the entire
state, were placed here in the summer of 1885, through the energy and influence
of Mr. John S. GEORGE, who was for seven years the efficient superintendent
of the poor and resident overseer. In constructing these buildings the
town spared no pains in making them in every way comfortable, cheerful
and' homelike. The rooms are neat and airy, and among other conveniences
for health and cleanliness is an adequate bath-room, which is duly appreciated.
The entire building is heated by furnaces, and the unfortunate inmates
are comfortably and substantially clothed, with an extra suit in which
to attend church on the Sabbath. Their food is such as is found on the
tables of well-to-do farmers.
A. Allyn OLMSTED's chair manufactory is located on Hall's brook,
in South Newbury village. The present commodious building was erected in
1879, by the present proprietor, at a cost of about $6,000. It is furnished
with new and improved machinery, affording complete facilities for the
manufacture of all kinds of wood-seated chairs, capable of turning out
1,000 chairs per month, although not at present worked to its full capacity.
In connection with this enterprise. Mr. OLMSTED has a shingle-mill, which
turns out 50,000 shingles annually.
South Newbury grist-mills, (formerly known as the "Atwood mills,")
H. H. RUNNELS, proprietor, are located on Hall's brook, which furnishes
the propelling power, and are furnished with two runs of stones, and grinds
all kinds of grain except wheat. The capacity of the mill is 200 bushels
daily. The enterprising proprietor erected a substantial dam at the outlet
of Hall's pond in 1883, and-now uses that little lake, with an area of
about 200 acres, as a, reservoir in the dry season.
KNIGHT & Son's saw-mill, located at Newbury village, was erected
by the present proprietors in the spring of 1883. The mill turns out about
500,000 feet of all kinds of lumber annually, giving employment to from
six to twelve men during the season.
Andrew J. KNIGHT's saw and planing-mills, built in 1877, are located
on the site of the first mills erected in the town of Newbury, on Hall's
brook, in South Newbury village. The propelling power is furnished from
the brook on which they are located. Mr. KNIGHT manufactures all kinds
of plain and. dressed lumber, and does a custom business, giving employment
to two men.
E.S. TUTTLE & Son's saw mill (originally the "Atwood mill")
is located on Hall's brook, at South Newbury. The proprietors manufacture
all kinds of hard and soft wood lumber, turning out annually about 200,000
feet, giving employment to three men.
Edson DOE's carriage shop, located at South Newbury, was established
by the present proprietor and his father, Thomas J. DOE, in 1861. The machinery
is propelled by steam-power, giving employment to three men, in the repairing,
painting, and manufacturing of carriages, wagons, etc.
H.D. DAVIS's mills, for the manufacture of apiarian supplies, are
located on Hall's brook, at South Newbury village, with headquarters at
Bradford. The mills are furnished with new and the most approved machinery,
and manufacture the finest kind of goods, which are in demand all over
the United States and Canada. The project, although in its infancy, turns
out about $6,0o0 worth of goods per year, with fair prospects of an unlimited
DEMING &, LEARNED's sawmill and box factory are located on Wells
river and the Montpelier & Wells River railroad, about one mile and
a half from Wells River village. The river furnishes ample power for propelling
the machinery, and the railroad ample means of transportation. The -mill
and shops are furnished with modern and improved machinery for manufacturing
and dressing all kinds of lumber, and making packing boxes for shipping
purposes. These mills give employment to an average of twenty men, and
turn out about 1,000,000 feet of lumber annually. They also cut from 800
to, 1,200 cords of fire wood per year, thus utilizing the entire growth
of timber from their lands, which are cleared for farming purposes. They
have now about 600 acres of choice land under cultivation.
Boltonville custom grist-mill, H. K. WORTHLEY, proprietor, is located
in the hamlet of Boltonville, on Wells river, from which if derives it
power. The mill is furnished with three runs of stones, with the capacity
of grinding about 200 bushels of grain per day.
Rev. E. J. RANSLOW's mills, for the manufacture of bone meal, are
located on Wells river, near the village of that name. The machinery is
run by water-power, and is capable of grinding five tons daily.
R.G. BROCK's furniture manufactory is located on Wells river, from
which it derives its power, and in the flourishing village of Wells River.
This enterprise was established by Messrs. Carpenter & PARKER, in i868,
who conducted the business about two years, when Mr. PARKER was succeeded
by. H. C. JONES, when the firm became CARPENTER & JONES. In 1874 Mr.
R. G. BROCK obtained the interest of Mr. CARPENTER, and the firm name was
changed to H. C. JONES & Co., which continued until 1878, when Mr.
BROCK became sole proprietor, and is now engaged in manufacturing all kinds
of chamber and office furniture, giving employment to six men, and turning
out from $5,000 to $6,000 worth of choice furniture annually.
Wells River flour and grist-mills, J. R. GOWING, proprietor, are
located on Wells river, from which stream 'they derive their power, and
in Wells River village. The mills, which do custom work, have three runs
of stones, with the capacity for grinding 1,000 bushels of grain per day,
Mr. GOWING deals in all kinds of feed and grain.
Wells River paper-mills, since their establishment, have had numerous
proprietors, among whom may be named William BLAKE, Ira WHITE, SHEDD &
HALE, and Mrs. SCOTT, daughter of Mr. SHEDD. In 1849 Union DURANT bought
of Mr. HALE the upper and original Wells River mill, and in 1852 Mr. H.
W. ADAMS became his partner, the firm name being DURANT & ADAMS. They
engaged in the manufacture of straw paper until 1857, when they placed
new machinery in the building a few rods below the old mill, which they
had purchased in 1855, of Mrs. SCOTT, and commenced the manufacture of
manilla tissue paper, and other manilla papers. This firm continued the
business until 1883, and were among the earliest manufacturers of that
grade of paper. April 30, 1883, Mr. ADAMS sold his interest in the business
to his partner, Mr. DURANT, and January 1; 1884, Messrs. DEMING, LEARNED
& Co. succeeded to the business, refitted the mills, furnished them
with new machinery and doubled their capacity, and are continuing the manufacture
of the same grade of paper, under the efficient management of H. W. ADAMS,
turning out daily $l00 worth of goods, giving employment to twelve operatives.
The mill crank for the first saw-mill erected in the Coos Valley
was drawn on a hand-sled from Concord, N. H., through the wilderness by
six men. The sled was constructed with thin broad runners, so that the
broad surface would carry it over the snow. These hardy backwoods-men found
their experience in returning with the weighty iron crank quite different
from their journey to Concord, although that was not mere boy's play. They
wended their way up the Pemigewasset river to where the village of Bristol
now stands, and thence across Newfound lake to avoid hills. When on the
lake a number of the party, nearly overcome with fatigue, sat down to rest
while others went in search of water. When they returned they found those
that remained fast sinking into that stupor caused by weariness and cold,
which portends death. They were warned of their danger by their companions,
but wished to be left unmolested. By repeated efforts they were aroused
to their danger, and induced to again take up their march, with their heavy
burden, and a few miles further arrived at a hunter's lodge where they
were soon warmed by a cheerful fire and refreshed with a supper; and, after
a night of sound sleep, and breakfast, they, with renewed energy, again
proceeded on their toilsome journey without further incident. The crank
was in due time placed in a mill at South Newbury on Hall's brook, near
the site of the present mill owned by Mr. KNIGHT, where it did the settlers
efficient service throughout the existence of three mills successively
built, In 1790 this "old crank" became the property of Jonathan JOHNSON,
who, in company with Jonas, David and Elijah TUCKER, transferred it to
a mill at the outlet of Hall's pond, where it has, with several successive
owners, turned throughout the life of four more. In 1861 Mr.Thomas L. TUCKER
rebuilt the last mill in which it did service, and it now lies in ignoble
rest in the old wheel-pit at the foot of Hall's pond, and is the property
of Mr. Sherburne Livermore TUCKER. Mr. TUCKER says this old relic of the
past would, if required, do duty yet another century.
Gen. Jacob BAILEY, the founder of Newbury, Vt., was born in Newbury,
Mass., July 2, 1728. Gen. BAILEY's first American ancestor was John BAILEY,
who came from Chippenham, Eng., and settled in Salisbury, Mass., as early
as 1639. He was ship-wrecked on his voyage to this country at Pemaquid,
and could not afterwards be induced to again venture upon the sea. He had
left his wife in England, and as she would not trust herself to an element
that had proved so near fatal to her husband, they met no more in time.
The great sea divided them at their deaths. He died November 2, 1651. John,
the son of the emigrant, was born about 1615, and died July 22, 1662. Isaac,
son of the second John BAILEY, was born in Newbury, Mass., July 22, 1654,
,married Sarah EMERY, a daughter of John EMERY, January 13, 1683. Joshua,
son of Isaac BAILEY, and the father of Gen. Jacob BAILEY, was born in 1685,
and February 4, 1706, married Sarah, daughter of Stephen COFFIN, and died
October 6, 1762. His wife survived until November 20, 1768.
Gen. BAILEY was an officer in the French war (a colonel), and had
occasion -to pass through the wilderness embracing this county so remote
from civilized life. He thus became acquainted with it, which led to his
settlement of Newbury, as its pioneer, to which he gave the name of his
Many were the toils, trials and sufferings he endured while serving
in the French war. He took an active part at the siege of Fort William
Henry was one who run the gauntlet at the dreadful massacre that took place
there, and with a few others of that intrepid band escaped to Fort Ann.
He was pursued by some Indians, who, finding themselves unable to overtake
him, set on their dogs. By leaping from a rock some twelve or fifteen feet,
he threw -the dogs off his track, and by this circumstance alone he escaped.
After the conclusion of the war, and in 1762, he commenced the settlement
of this town. At the breaking out of the Revolutionary war he was occupying
the most northerly position in the United States. He received from New
York the commission of colonel, and became an officer of great importance.
He was soon after appointed by Gen. Washington commissary-general of the
northern department, known then as Upper Coos. He had continued and frequent
correspondence with Generals Washington and Greene. These letters show
the high estimation in which he was held by those distinguished generals.
This office involved great responsibilities, and subjected him to dangers,
difficulties, and sacrifices of an extraordinary character, which he sustained
through the war with firmness and unflinching patriotism, and with honor
to himself and advantage to his country. A reward of five hundred guineas
offered for him, dead or alive, and many anecdotes are told of his hair-breadth
escapes, his encounters with the Indians and tories, and his constant vigilance
to escape the scouts sent out from Canada to take him. Among his numerous
friends none were more faithful or did him so efficient service as his
co-patriot neighbor, Col. Thomas JOHNSON. At one time, while the General
was holding his plough on the Ox Bow, Cincinnatus like, a detachment of
tories came to capture him, and encamped on the high bluff which commands
a view of the "Meadows." The enemy was concealed, but could plainly observe
every movement in the valley below. Col. JOHNSON determined to save the
General at all hazards, and directed a friend to carry a slip of paper
on which was written the words "The Phillistines are upon thee, Sampson,"
and drop it in the furrough at some distance from Gen. BAILEY, and then
return by a circuitous route. His ready sagacity warned him when he read
this missive, and he left his plough and immediately placed the Connecticut
river between him and his enemies, and made good his escape.
The elevated position he occupied, and the important services he
rendered his country, has awarded him a niche in our temple of fame. But
our country has never remunerated him or his family for the fortune he
sacrificed in her behalf. He was a proprietor of a large estate at the
commencement of the war. This he freely offered up, expecting a grateful
people would relieve his sufferings and restore his property. For his country's
sake he died poor. Gen. BAILEY died March 1, 1815. His wife Prudence, with
whom he lived in the marriage state sixty-four years, died in 1809, aged
eighty-four years. Their children were Ephraim, Joshua, Jacob, James, Abigail,
John, and Isaac.
Webster BAILEY was born September 3, 1747, in West Newbury, Mass.,
and married Miss Mary NOYES, of the same place, August .27, 1773, who was.
born July 21, 1753. In 1788 Mr. and Mrs. BAILEY emigrated to this town,
and settled on the Connecticut river about one and a half miles south of
the village postoffice. Here Mr. BAILEY immediately erected a tannery,
which, as near as can be ascertained, was the first established in Newbury.
As soon as his sons, William, Ezekiel and Parker, successively arrived
to manhood they united with their father and conducted the business jointly,
and added a good farm to their other business. In connection with the tannery
they conducted an extensive custom shoe shop, and during pressing seasons
employed a force of twenty-four shoemakers. In 1816 the firm dissolved.
Webster BAILEY retired from active business and resided with his son William
until the close of his life. He died February 7, 1830, Mrs. BAILEY surviving
until September 12, 1830. Their children were:
born September 3, 1774, married Jesse WHITE, settled in Topsham, where
she died February 1, 1833.
born April 15, 1776, never married. In 1816 he retired from the firm of
his father and brothers, and purchased the farm, including the old Betsey
(Haseltine) LOVELL tavern site in the village, where the Seminary boarding-house
now stands, conducted this farm and mercantile business in company with
Dea. John BUXTON, and later with Russell HURD, in North: Haverhill. In
1833 he sold the LOVELL place and returned to the old home, where he owned
an interest with his sisters, resided there about twenty years, eventually
resided with his nephew, William U. BAILEY, where he died December 22,
born September 14, 1778, married Miss Lucy BAILEY, left the partnership
at the old stand, and removed to Hardwick, Vt., erected a tannery and shoe
shop, remained seven years, then removed to Orfordville, N. H., where he
conducted tanning and shoemaking about thirty years, finally returning
to Newbury, where he lived a retired life, dying August 15, 1862, after
a very active and energetic business career.
born April 19, 1781, married Whitefield BAILEY, a farmer, removed to Hardwick,
where she died May 15, 1828. Her children were William, deceased, Kiah
resides in Iowa, Lucy, deceased, Ezekiel in Iowa, and Harry BAILEY residing
on the homestead in Hardwick.
born October 13, 1783, married Samuel HIBBARD, a farmer of Newbury, resided
successively in Canada., Hardwick, Vt., and Haverhill, N. H., again returned
to Newbury, and later to Haverhill, where she died October 31, 1878, aged
ninety-five years. She was the mother of seven children, of whom the first
two died in early childhood. Ezekiel B., born December 12, 1810, married
Esther, daughter of Robert and granddaughter of Col. Robert JOHNSTON (one
of the-pioneers of Newbury) was first a merchant about ten years in North
Haverhill, then spent twenty-two years in Alabama and North Carolina engaged
in constructing and running steam and water-mills, returned, and now with
his wife resides in Newbury village, on the fine farm on Connecticut river,
the homestead of Col. Robert JOHNSTON. They have an only son who is an
enterprising farmer and horse breeder in Kansas. Thomas W. B. HIBBARD,
born February 8, 1814, married Jane BURNHAM, of Rumney, was a merchant
in North Haverhill, N. H., went to Ohio, was there a traveling merchant,
next engaged in New York as dry goods salesman about thirty consecutive
years, is now an invalid and resides in North Haverhill. Parker. B. HIBBARD,
born about 1817, married Priscilla EASTMAN in 1849, went the overland route
from St. Louis to California with an ox-team, engaged with success in mining,
started with his gold from the mines for San Francisco, and has never been
heard from since. He left two sons, Charles P., of Burlington, Vt., and
George E., an engineer of St. Albans. William B. HIBBARD, born in 1820,
married Elizabeth, daughter of Col. Moody CHAMBERLIN, of Newbury, was twelve
years with a shoe dealer in New York, was a merchant in Elkham, Indiana,
two or three years, went to Chicago .and settled the affairs of the Marine
bank which then closed, and is still in Chicago, a book-keeper for the
great firm of Libby, McNeil & Libby. Mary HIBBARD, born in 1829, married
Langdon BAILEY, and resides in Woodsville, N. H.
was born November 28, 1785, married Rev. John DUTTON, a Congregational
clergyman who was ten or twelve years pastor of the church of Pomfret,
and. of the church of Topsham a few years, and pastor of the church of
North Haverhill the remainder of his life: Mrs. DUTTON died January. 19,
1842, and her husband a few years later. Their daughter Dorcas married
Charles West, and resides in Royalton, Vt.
born December 1,. 1789, died on the homestead May 11, 1839.
BAILEY, son of Webster BAILEY, was born January 25, 1702, and married Eliza
WARD, who was born May 14, 1800. After the division in 1816 he retained
a portion of the homestead until 1833, when he sold to Samuel HIBBARD and
resided successively in Topsham, Newbury, Stanstead, Canada, Orfordville,
N. H., and Wentworth, In 1852 he returned to this town, where he resided
with his son William N. till the close of his life, July 12, 1881 His wife
died in October, 1883. They were both members of the Congregational church
many years. Mr. BAILEY was a constant reader of the Bible, and from 1876
to the time of his death in 1881, he read the New Testament through by
course one hundred and thirty-six times. Their children are Hon. Henry
W., born January 18, 1819; William U., born September 25, 1820, married
Abigail EATON, of Wentworth, N. H., in November, 1844, settled first on
a farm in that town, in 1852 removed to Newbury, and settled on a fine
farm on the Connecticut river, adjoining the old homestead, where he now
resides. His wife died November 25, 1880. Their children are Ellen E. (Mrs.
Remembrance CHAMBERLIN), of Newbury Center; Henry, born April 1, 1850,
drowned in Connecticut river July 7, 1860; Horace W., born January 16,
1852, is an enterprising merchant in Newbury village and holds the offices
of town clerk and superintendent of schools; Warren W., born December 5,
1859, married Delia HATCH, of Groton, Vt., resides and owns the farm jointly
with his father; and Jesse P., born July 20, 1866, married Clara J. HATCH,
who died in August, 1886, leaving a son. Mr. BAILEY is engaged with Messrs.
BALDWIN & HAZEN, lumber manufacturers at Groton.
BAILEY, daughter of Webster BAILEY, was born April 23, 1794, died on the
homestead March 20, 1874.
Phebe BAILEY, born October 14, 1797, also resided on the homestead till
her death, January 20, 1872.
Hon. Henry Webster BAILEY, son of Parker and Eliza (WARD) BAILEY,
was born in Newbury, January 18, 1819; received a common school education.
At the age of sixteen years he commenced an apprenticeship in the store
of Nathan BLAKE, of East Corinth, where he served five years, and was afterward
a salesman for thirty-five years. When he became a voter he cast his lot
with the old Whig party, and was a man of great influence. At the organization
of the Republican party he became one of its leaders, and is yet active
in its ranks, and is not without political honors. In 1852; he was elected
justice of the peace, which position he held .with only a few years exception
until he resigned it in 1886. He is now a notary public and has been since
1852. He was the clerk of Newbury from 1856 to 1886, a term of thirty consecutive
years, and treasurer from 1865 to 1878. He represented Newbury in the state
legislature in 1859, 1860, and at the extra session in 1861. He also held
the honorable position of judge of Probate from 1868 until the fall of
1876. Judge BAILEY is alive and active in all the interests and improvements
of his town; a member of the society of the Congregational church and regular
attendant, and a liberal supporter of its financial interests.
Col. Thomas JOHNSON, son of John JOHNSON, grandson of Dea. Thomas
JOHNSON, great-grandson of Joseph JOHNSON, great-great-grandson of William,
JOHNSON, Esq., (one of the founders and principal municipal officers of
Charlestown, Mass., who was born in Kent, in England, during the reign
of James I.,) was born in Haverhill, Mass., March 22, 1742. His education
was limited. He lived in his native place until 1762, when he came to Newbury
in the service of Gen. Jacob BAILEY, one of the grantees of the township.
His first purchase of land bears the date of October 6, 1763. From this
time he rapidly accumulated landed estate and eventually became the most
extensive land proprietor ever living in town, probably owning, at one
time, 1,500 acres within the limits of the town, besides land in other
sections of the state and New Hampshire. The events and hardships incident
to pioneer life tend to bring out the powers of men, and it did not fail
to bring out his large natural abilities, and he soon became a leading
spirit in the Coos country. Besides his farming and land speculation he
kept store and hotel for many years. It being the only store for many miles
in all directions, he did a large trading business. He built four houses
at the "Johnson village" at the Ox Bow, which are all still standing. The
first one was built in 1775.
He was three times married. November 12, 1765, he married Elizabeth
LOWELL, by whom he had two sons, John and Moses, and one daughter, Betsey.
November 26, 1772, he married Nabby POOL, by whom he had one daughter,
Nabby. February 17, 1775, he married Abigail CARLETON. Eight children were
the fruits of this union,-four sons and four daughters. Two sons and two
daughters died when quite young, and four sons and three daughters survived
him at his death in 1819. John, Moses and Haines were farmers; David a
merchant and farmer; Hannah married David SLOANE, a prominent lawyer of
Haverhill, N. H.; Betsey married Isaac BAILEY, Esq., of Newbury; Sally
married Charles STORY, for many years a lawyer in Orleans county.
The breaking out of the Revolution found him a staunch and unyielding
patriot, and his influence was exerted and felt in this region in the raising
and quartering of troops and advancing his country's cause. He took an
active part in the siege of Ticonderoga and Mount, Independence, in the
fall of 1777, and commanded a company of volunteers from Newbury; but part
of the time acted as aid to Gen. LINCOLN. After the surrender of the British
at Ticonderoga 100 prisoners were given to his charge and marched back
into the country to Charlestown, “No. 4," out of danger of recapture. Soon
after this he was appointed lieutenant-colonel. There were several men
in town who had made themselves quite obnoxious to the British by their
devotion to their country, among whom was Col. JOHNSON, whom they considered
a very great rebel, as he had distinguished himself at the taking of Ticonderoga,
And they sought opportunity to capture him; but he eluded all their
efforts until the spring of 1781 when they succeeded, as shown by the following
extract from his journal:
He was treated with marked attention and given many privileges not
usually given to prisoners. This was done, no doubt, hoping to win him
over to the British cause; but he was not caught with such chaff. An exchange
not being effected, in September, 1781, he was released on parole and returned
home. This parole placed him in a very trying situation and gave him much
annoyance, as the British kept a vigilant watch over his movements. He
corresponded with Gen. Washington, asking that an exchange might be brought
about, and also communicating to him all he had learned regarding British
movements in Canada. He visited Gen. Washington at his headquarters in
Exeter, N. H., but before an exchange could be arranged peace was declared.
“March 5, 1781.
This morning early, went to Haverhill with my teams -for my mill-stones.
Returned before dinner, shod my oxen, took dinner, and set out for Peacham
at 2 P. M. This night put up at Orr's in Ryegate.
6th. This day being thawy & bad going, I was obliged to leave one of
my millstones within one mile of the place where we lodged. This night
arrived at Peacham with the other mill-stone. Lodged at Mr. ELKINS.
8th. This morning, about twelve or one o'clock, I awaked out of my sleep,
and found the house beset with enemies. Thought I would slip on my stockings,
and jump out of the window, and run. But before that, came in two men with
their guns pointed at me, and challenged me for their prisoner, but did
not find myself the least terrified. Soon found two of the men old acquaintances
of mine. I saw some motions for tying me, but I told them that I submitted
myself a prisoner, and would offer no abuse. Soon packed up and marched
but never saw people so surprised as the family was. When we came to Mr.
DAVIS', I found the party to consist of eleven men, Capt. PRICHARD commanding.
13th. This day marched to St. John's. Col. ST. LEGER took me to his house,
and gave me a shirt and some refreshment, which I much -needed. Told me
I was to dine with him. Maj. ROGERS, and Esq. MARSH, and others dined there.
Then gave me my parole which I am told is the first instance of a prisoner
having his parole in this fort without some confinement. Lodged with Esq.
He represented the town of Newbury in the legislature in the years
1786, '87, '88, '89, '90, and 1795, '97,'99, 1800 and 1801. He died January
Dr. Samuel WHITE was the thirteenth son of Capt. Nicholas WHITE,
whose second wife, Mary CALEF, was his mother, born November 6, 1750, died
February 26, 1847, after a long and exceedingly useful life. Dr. W. H.
CARTER prepared an instructive and useful biography of Dr. WHITE for the
Vermont Geographical Society, which was published in the Aurora of the
Valley, November 11, 1860. It well illustrates the life and character of
an intelligent pioneer physician of the Revolutionary period.
Dr. WHITE came to Newbury in 1773, though he is said to have previously
visited relatives in the Coos country. He was the man who brought up the
noted thanksgiving proclamation, appointing a day already past, and which
was still further adjourned by patriotic citizens till the supply of molasses
could be renewed.
He studied under Dr. Thomas BRICKET, of old Haverhill, Mass. The
deficiency of medical schools being made up by the instruction of the well
known and successful practitioners of the times. It is quite possible that
the opportunity of practicing under the supervision and oversight of a
learned and skillful practitioner may have been more nearly an equivalent
to the expensive, but often carelessly improved advantages of the present
age than is generally supposed. He practiced one year in the town of Plaistow.
Here he could have continued, with probably much greater advantages to
himself than he reaped from his exertions in a new and very thinly settled
community. There was then no other physician between Newbury and the Canada
line within Eastern Vermont or Western New Hampshire. He was often called
to ride fifty miles through thick woods and deep snows to attend the sick,
and often times the distance had to be gone over on snow-shoes or on foot.